Party for expanded RotRL campaign - Balanced / Unbalanced / Just Right?


Rise of the Runelords


We have an expanded version of RotRL kicking off, one that (hopefully) will see us reach 20th level by its end. We've got our party together and a general idea of how its going to evolve, assuming everyone survives. I'm listing it below along with a couple of pertinent house rules in the hopes of getting an idea as to whether or not we've got any gaps we should consider or if it might be too powerful a grouping. The latter seems unlikely since our GM isn't going to be shy about piling on the difficulty as needed, but still. Any and all thoughts are welcome.

As an aside, our GM tends to play a lower magic campaign with only consumables commonly available for sale and those at twice the normal cost. Naturally, customizable magic items are at a premium for us.

Human Unchained Barbarian
Will spend most of his career as an Unchained Barbarian, dipping into a level of Unbreakable Fighter for Stalwart/Improved Stalwart purposes. Considering a late dip into Rogue as well, Thug archetype maybe, for Evasion and some Sneak Attack tricks. He's planning on carrying two-handed weapons, one with reach and one with not, and following a typical Beast Totem rage power build. Primary role: Tank.

Elven Magus (Hexcrafter)
Magus all the way. Early Flight Hex, then Evil Eye, Ice Tomb and Hag's Eye in the mid-levels. Taking the Frostbite/Rime Spell/Enforcer track and then Shocking Grasp as a preferred spell. Either Cone of Cold or Chain Lightning as the subject of Spell Perfection late. His rapier will be a Bonded Item (see House Rules below). Primary roles: Striker, Debuffer.

Half-Elven Oracle of Desna
Heavens Mystery & Powerless Prophecy Curse. Going the Color Spray route, obviously, with Desna's Shooting Star fighting style early on. Metamagic feats and Divine Interference round out his build. Eldritch Heritage will allow him to make his holy symbol a Bonded Item. His Mystery spell list has been slightly altered to better suit his deity (see below), and his favored class bonus will grant a ton of additional spells known. Primary roles: Battlefield Control, Healer.

Spell list changes:
4th - Rope Trick (replaces Hypnotic Pattern)
12th - Dream Travel (replaces Chain Lightning)
16th - Scintillating Pattern (replaces Sunburst)
18th - Miracle (replaces Meteor Swarm)

Kitsune Crossblooded Sorcerer
Serpentine & Fey Bloodlines obviously focused on powerful single-target control, resorting to buffing teammates and providing utility effects when those options aren't effective. Will benefit from a slightly expanded selection of spells (see below), and will eventually take a Faerie Dragon familiar. Primary roles: Single-target control, Utility.

Relevant House Rules:

The feats Power Attack, Combat Expertise, Deadly Aim and Eschew Materials are available for free to anyone who qualifies for them.

A Magus can take Bonded Object as an Arcana instead of a Familiar, but the item must be a weapon.

Sorcerers gain Heighten Spell in place of Eschew Materials (which they now get for free).

Crossblooded Sorcerers may select a bloodline spell as a known spell at each level 2nd - 19th.


Pathfinder Maps Subscriber

Not trying to be judgemental, but it seems that you guys are geared up for primarily combat. Only gap I see (mostly because I can't see sheets) would seem to be any mechanical non combat. But as far as combat goes, I'd say your only worry should be too much from the GM.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens Subscriber

Magus/Sorc is great for the first 3 chapters. After that, you definitely want a full 9th level spellbook caster (Wizard or Arcanist), as the loot and encounters are geared heavily towards expecting the party to have one.

Also Ability Damage is a consistent threat in PF, and starts rearing its head prominently in chapter 2 of RotR. If the Oracle is going to spend all their level up spells focusing on healing and getting rid of or preventing negative conditions, then you should be fine, but the double cost of scrolls makes things way more strict if you want to survive.


KyleS wrote:
Not trying to be judgmental, but it seems that you guys are geared up for primarily combat. Only gap I see (mostly because I can't see sheets) would seem to be any mechanical non combat. But as far as combat goes, I'd say your only worry should be too much from the GM.

Appreciate the response. Yes, I didn't get into skills and things as I thought the post was getting pretty long already. Here's a quick short-hand of the character's skill spread:

Barbarian:
6 skill ranks/level, most heavily invested in Acrobatics, Intimidate, Knowledge: Local, Knowledge: Nature, Perception, Stealth & Survival.

Magus:
5-7 skill ranks/level, most heavily invested in Intimidate, Knowledge: Arcana, Knowledge: Planes, Perception, Spellcraft, Stealth & UMD.

Oracle:
5 skill rnkas/level, most heavily invested in Diplomacy, Knowledges: Arcana, History, Planes & Religion, Perception, Spellcraft & UMD.

Sorcerer
4 skill ranks/level, most heavily invested in Bluff, Diplomacy, Disguise, Knowledge: Nature, Perception, Spellcraft & Stealth.

I don't think anyone has any major skill bonuses like Skill Focus or class-based bonuses.


LoudKid wrote:
Magus/Sorc is great for the first 3 chapters. After that, you definitely want a full 9th level spellbook caster (Wizard or Arcanist), as the loot and encounters are geared heavily towards expecting the party to have one.

Ugh... nobody in our party likes prepared casters. I'll keep in mind the suggestion about Arcanaist if someone ends up getting the axe (literally or figuratively).

LoudKid wrote:
Also Ability Damage is a consistent threat in PF, and starts rearing its head prominently in chapter 2 of RotR. If the Oracle is going to spend all their level up spells focusing on healing and getting rid of or preventing negative conditions, then you should be fine, but the double cost of scrolls makes things way more strict if you want to survive.

Well the Oracle is definitely going to take the Restoration spells I'm pretty sure. Beyond that, I don't know...


Quote:
I'll keep in mind the suggestion about Arcanaist if someone ends up getting the axe (literally or figuratively).

I'll just throw in there that I also dislike prepared casters when I'm a player, and we had a player briefly who played an Arcanist in my game- I'm looking forward to also playing one, now, when I next get the chance.


Mercurial wrote:
LoudKid wrote:
Magus/Sorc is great for the first 3 chapters. After that, you definitely want a full 9th level spellbook caster (Wizard or Arcanist), as the loot and encounters are geared heavily towards expecting the party to have one.

Ugh... nobody in our party likes prepared casters. I'll keep in mind the suggestion about Arcanaist if someone ends up getting the axe (literally or figuratively).

LoudKid wrote:
Also Ability Damage is a consistent threat in PF, and starts rearing its head prominently in chapter 2 of RotR. If the Oracle is going to spend all their level up spells focusing on healing and getting rid of or preventing negative conditions, then you should be fine, but the double cost of scrolls makes things way more strict if you want to survive.
Well the Oracle is definitely going to take the Restoration spells I'm pretty sure. Beyond that, I don't know...

Having a sorcerer should be just fine - I'd say this is likely the most wizard friendly AP in terms of loot (late game) - but you won't struggle with a sorcerer and good use of scrolls or such to cover things you may want (plane shift... etc. depending on spell selection) - but with a sorcerer and oracle you will have *access* to any spell assuming you want to spend the resources... which really is all that's needed for any AP run.

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder Adventure Path / Rise of the Runelords / Party for expanded RotRL campaign - Balanced / Unbalanced / Just Right? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in Rise of the Runelords