Magic Missile Feats: Pew Pew


Homebrew and House Rules

Liberty's Edge

I like Magic Missile. I made feats to improve/break the spell.

Enjoy! Critique! Concern! Praise! Scorn!

Dark Archive

Snorb wrote:

I like Magic Missile. I made feats to improve/break the spell.

Enjoy! Critique! Concern! Praise! Scorn!

Quote:
Benefit: Roll a d20 whenever you cast magic missile. This is not an attack roll; magic missile still hits your intended targets even if you roll a natural 1. If you roll a natural 20, make a caster level check (DC 15 + your opponent’s Hit Dice.) If your check succeeds, all magic missiles directed at that opponent.

That last line seems to have ended early. Do the missiles directed at that target do double damage or something? Explode? Ricochet to affect other targets?

That said, magic missile has always been one of my favorite spells, and improvements to it (and / or prestige classes like Magic Missile Master and Argent Savant) have long been a fun theme.

Few other spells get that sort of singular focus.

RPG Superstar 2008 Top 32

Improved Magic Missile looks a lot like the effect of Spell Specialization(magic missile).

Greater Magic Missile should just be a higher-level spell, not a feat. (It's very similar to casting Maximized Magic Missile.)

Not getting critical hits is one of the balancing features of spells without attack rolls. Not sure it's worth a feat to get more damage 5% of the time, instead of just getting a metamagic feat with guaranteed damage.

Stay on Target should required Greater Spell Penetration, and would be more interesting if it applied to all Spell Focused spells, not just magic missile.


Super Genius games has a 2-page PDF with 7 feats for Magic Missiles. Part of their Bullet Points product line.

Yours are pretty good, but I'm not fond a feat that has limits per day based on character ability scores.

Besides, very few Wizards will be limited by this (how often does a wizard cast Magic Missile more times than his INT mod per day?). The feat is worthless for sorcerers.

I would suggest modifying that feat to make it have no limit on it at all (you're already limited in that you can only cast Magic Missile a few times per day - compare to how unlimited Power Attack is for a melee guy).

Also, the feat that gives criticals is not worth a feat. Make it more interesting, like a to-hit roll with each missile and let it crit as 19-20/x3 and maybe I'd spend a feat slot on it.

Liberty's Edge

All perfectly valid points- I kinda dashed this out in like five minutes before I had to help my dad put out Halloween decorations. =p

Set wrote:
That last line seems to have ended early. Do the missiles directed at that target do double damage or something? Explode? Ricochet to affect other targets?

Yeah, it was supposed to end "does double damage." I kinda messed that one up.

Set wrote:
Magic Missile Master

Guess what was the inspiration for these? (Besides 13th Age. =p)

Ross Byers wrote:
Improved Magic Missile looks a lot like the effect of Spell Specialization(magic missile).

You know, I have never seen the Spell Specialization feat before. x_X

Quote:
Greater Magic Missile should just be a higher-level spell, not a feat. (It's very similar to casting Maximized Magic Missile.)

Perhaps, but to be fair, there are better spells at higher spell levels than outright damaging spells.

Quote:
Not getting critical hits is one of the balancing features of spells without attack rolls. Not sure it's worth a feat to get more damage 5% of the time, instead of just getting a metamagic feat with guaranteed damage.

Then again, I was never particularly good at game balance...

Quote:
Stay on Target should required Greater Spell Penetration, and would be more interesting if it applied to all Spell Focused spells, not just magic missile.

Modified!

DM_Blake wrote:
Super Genius games has a 2-page PDF with 7 feats for Magic Missiles. Part of their Bullet Points product line.

THOSE CLEVER BASTARDS =p

Quote:

Yours are pretty good, but I'm not fond a feat that has limits per day based on character ability scores.

Besides, very few Wizards will be limited by this (how often does a wizard cast Magic Missile more times than his INT mod per day?). The feat is worthless for sorcerers.

Int limitation removed!

Quote:
Also, the feat that gives criticals is not worth a feat. Make it more interesting, like a to-hit roll with each missile and let it crit as 19-20/x3 and maybe I'd spend a feat slot on it.

Critical Missile now does 19-20/x3 criticals. (You can still only target one unlucky bastard at a time with it though, but nothing's STOPPING you from tossing six magic missiles at him... =p)

Thanks for the feedback so far! ^_^


Super Genius Games gotta be one of my least favorites 3pp, they always make crazy stuff, just saying.


Zilfrel Findadur wrote:
Super Genius Games gotta be one of my least favorites 3pp, they always make crazy stuff, just saying.

Crazy awesome you mean.

SGG [RGG now I believe, might be mistaken] is my second favorite 3PP bar none, just behind Dreamscarred Press and just above Rite Publishing.

They all rank above Paizo :P

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Homebrew and House Rules / Magic Missile Feats: Pew Pew All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.