Save or Die: Helpful or Harmful to PFS?


Pathfinder Society

101 to 113 of 113 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>
Shadow Lodge 4/5

Andrew Christian wrote:
Not to mention, that I assume that characters have read the Chronicles.

Aaaaaah, you had to mention it...

Liberty's Edge 5/5

TOZ wrote:
Andrew Christian wrote:
Not to mention, that I assume that characters have read the Chronicles.
Aaaaaah, you had to mention it...

Yeah, but apparently I got Ninja'd!

5/5 5/55/55/5

Steven Schopmeyer wrote:

No idea. Last one I played was 3.

Ms. Pleiades wrote:
And then there's the issue that in all of my PFS experience, there has been regular frowning upon different characters knowing what the others are up to across scenarios.
Any time I get that response, I just look at the speaker incredulously and ask "do your characters never TALK to each other?"

Talking with other characters about their adventures can run the risk of getting spoilery

Liberty's Edge 4/5

I didn't make Seeker by refusing to listen to the advice of my friends.

Sovereign Court

Characters working together, investigating, and sharing information? They should make a motto about that or something.


Steven Schopmeyer wrote:

No idea. Last one I played was 3.

Ms. Pleiades wrote:
And then there's the issue that in all of my PFS experience, there has been regular frowning upon different characters knowing what the others are up to across scenarios.
Any time I get that response, I just look at the speaker incredulously and ask "do your characters never TALK to each other?"

Two of my characters actually did talk once. Now one really doesn't like the other.

Grand Lodge 4/5 Venture-Agent, Nevada—Las Vegas aka kinevon

Andrew Christian wrote:
TOZ wrote:
Andrew Christian wrote:
Not to mention, that I assume that characters have read the Chronicles.
Aaaaaah, you had to mention it...
Yeah, but apparently I got Ninja'd!

But what if one of the PCs has one of the archetypes that makes you illiterate, permanently?

Silver Crusade 5/5

kinevon wrote:
Andrew Christian wrote:
TOZ wrote:
Andrew Christian wrote:
Not to mention, that I assume that characters have read the Chronicles.
Aaaaaah, you had to mention it...
Yeah, but apparently I got Ninja'd!
But what if one of the PCs has one of the archetypes that makes you illiterate, permanently?

Are any illiterate archetypes besides True Primitive legal? Why would the Society want a Pathfinder that can't read, reducing their ability to operate in the field? Even then, they should be able to communicate with your other PC's.

My PC's communicate with each other, sharing info about other peoples' PC's, about what's going on in the Inner Sea, stuff like that. My PC's that don't own property stay at the Venture Lodge that my VC PC runs when not on missions.

As far as the original topic, Save or Dies happen. Sometimes they get a PC, sometimes they get an enemy.

The Exchange 4/5

Vutava wrote:
Two of my characters actually did talk once. Now one really doesn't like the other.

Don't I know it! I mean, that Silbeg character is a pretty good guy, fun to have around. So's Gunari! He's always a good guy to have around, always ready with a drink. Come to think of it, their both Caydenites, so I s'pose that makes sense.

Magnus is a good guy... though I s'pose that goes without saying, seeing as he is a paladin and all. His sister is a little stuck up, though. Can't take a joke AT ALL!

But, Faustus, he really scares me. Gives me a look like he's gonna sell me into slavery. He stops short of calling me a "slip", but I don't trust that inquisitor. Why, I hear a story told around the Grand Lodge that ripped a scepter off the belt of a lady oracle once, causing her pants to fall down! Why, I never!

And stay away from the rat! That Lucius is a real lech... he calls himself a Rat Pimp, and tried to recruit me! Why, I never!

3/5

Of course my characters talk. My 12th level summoner was mentored by my 19th level cleric. It's also how my Taldan summoner was able to attend Lady Gabrielle's Taldan winter masquerade (it was a pbp RP thread in the Taldor section)., since it was my cleric who adventured with her from 12 to 19.

Also without some of my earlier characters, my sorcerer wouldn't know to bring an extra pair of pants every time he goes to see Torch.

Edit: Oh, crap. We derailed. Sorry op.

Liberty's Edge

Well it is probably splatting a decayed horse by now, but to the original subject. I would say SoD hurts some of the PFS gaming community a little bit, but it is a part of the game and rule set that I don't think should be removed.

I do agree with some of the others, that it should be should be used sparingly and probably not the first encounter. UNLESS there is a reasonable expectation that the PC's could run to a friendly chapel and get a raise dead on the guy.
Or in the case where it is obvious that this is going to be an exceptionally lethal scenario. "You are going to the citadel of Lord Super Death to arrest him (alive only) and he is well known for throwing Finger of Death around like cotton candy." Ok, any party heading into that should catch the hint that this is going to be really tough and they better dang well be prepared for finger of death.
.
.
I have had a few character deaths, however it didn't particularly bother me. Sure I was a little bummed for a while, but I understand it as part of the game.

I have seen players get very upset at failing a save vs a SoD spell (or dying to a *3 barbarian crit) a few times. I don't think any of them quit over it. I can't tell you whether they came close to quitting over it.

However, I have to say to a certain extent it was their own fault. Every time (except one*) I saw someone get extremely upset over their character, it has been a character that was completely focused exclusively on offense.
- Only spent money (and spent all money) on items that enhanced weapon damage, weapon hit rate, magic DC, or magic damage dice.
- Did not save any prestige or money for a raise.
- All abilities, buffs, choices all made to increase offense.
- Dumped the ability associated with the save that caused their death.
- No thought realistically given to defense or saves.
- The only consideration of defense is "I kill things too fast to get killed!"
- The ultimate be all end all of glass cannon builds.

Yeah they had a folio re-roll. But a +1 to a save at the level where you start expecting save DC's close to 20 just isn't going to cut it even with a re-roll.

They all went on to build an even more fragile glass cannon build for their next character.

I honestly don't know how you can make an even slightly challenging scenario that doesn't have a decent chance to upset these folks.

* That one time, the player was really upset because he thought the GM wasn't following the rules correctly and he should have lived. I don't remember what the VL decided about the rules argument.

My characters always spend a significant amount on defensive/save gear. Build includes defensive options. I ask for defensive/warding buffs from casters. I often provide scrolls or wands for others to give me defensive buffs. Etc... I also save my folio re-roll for a lethal situation.

Liberty's Edge

I personally think SoS/SoD spells or effects are fine, so long as they are used reasonably. Occasionally cases come up where a particular spell or ability is used in a scenario that is not one of the better balanced ones. It happens, we all know that there are some monsters that are woefully under CR'd and some abilities are as well, when these creep up it can make their use seem unfair, and that is unfortunate.

Now as for the previously mentioned ideas of "the players are supposed to win" or that there "should just be a casual mode of play", those leave me a bit bewildered.

If there is no challenge, there is no accomplishment. The characters are not in a book, but in an interactive game, they have no plot armor nor should they. The game is full of mechanics and rules to adjudicate overcoming challenges and obstacles, if you do not want the risk of failure, why even have the rules at all? For that matter, why should people try at all, if they are going to "win" anyway?

I can't wrap my head around that. To me it is like giving out trophies for participation. Though YOMV.

1/5

Fomsie wrote:

I personally think SoS/SoD spells or effects are fine, so long as they are used reasonably. Occasionally cases come up where a particular spell or ability is used in a scenario that is not one of the better balanced ones. It happens, we all know that there are some monsters that are woefully under CR'd and some abilities are as well, when these creep up it can make their use seem unfair, and that is unfortunate.

Now as for the previously mentioned ideas of "the players are supposed to win" or that there "should just be a casual mode of play", those leave me a bit bewildered.

If there is no challenge, there is no accomplishment. The characters are not in a book, but in an interactive game, they have no plot armor nor should they. The game is full of mechanics and rules to adjudicate overcoming challenges and obstacles, if you do not want the risk of failure, why even have the rules at all? For that matter, why should people try at all, if they are going to "win" anyway?

I can't wrap my head around that. To me it is like giving out trophies for participation. Though YOMV.

Interestingly enough, participation trophies are pretty much the norm now, whether you agree with it or not. That said, not understanding why someone would play a game on easy mode is not the same thing as it being "wrong" to provide an easy mode option to players that wish to do so. You wouldn't ever have to play it. It shouldn't have any impact on you at all... unless a large percentage of players choose to play the easy mode and avoid the games you are interested in. However, if that were the case, forcing them into a game difficulty they don't like because you want to play that way is essentially breaking the "don't be a jerk" rule.

101 to 113 of 113 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Organized Play / Pathfinder Society / Save or Die: Helpful or Harmful to PFS? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.