Evil Overlord List: Best management Practices for PFS BBGEDs


Pathfinder Society

51 to 100 of 121 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>
Grand Lodge 3/5 ⦵⦵

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Starfinder Charter Superscriber

67) If I insist on being a caster, I should be accompanied by someone with martial prowess, someone with a good array of skills, and a caster of the opposite brand of magic (divine or arcane) in order to give myself the greatest number of tactical options within a group.

68) If I am winning, I will begin to act maniacally egotistical.

5/5 ⦵⦵⦵

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Kristie Schweyer wrote:
59. I will not wait until my hit points are ridiculously low before using my cure items or abilities thereby causing me to die from an average melee attack and leaving my cure items, unused, for the murder-hobos to consume at their leisure.

69: I will not attempt to use cure items unless I can retreat to a safe place. 1 Curative device will not cure the hit points worth of damage I'm going to take that round.

4/5 Venture-Lieutenant, Washington—Seattle aka Gwen Smith

2 people marked this as a favorite.

70) I will not scoff that the Elf with no armor and a bow is "unworthy of approaching me". If I do, I will fully expect to get three arrows in my face.

71) I will not be chased into a wall by reef claws.

72) I will not open with an area effect spell unless it can actually hit more than one Pathfinder.

Dark Archive 5/5

1 person marked this as a favorite.

I will not cast a spell requiring a will save at the pc wearing shiny full plate armor displaying a holy symbol of Iomadae or another very good deity.

Scarab Sages

3 people marked this as a favorite.

74) If an animal companion is a big part of my power, it will have the exclusive trick and I will be trained in handle animal.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

75. Armories do not belong in the center of the basement level. Ever. Seriously. Never.

Dark Archive

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

76) As a spellcaster, I will be properly prepared and not caught unaware. If I can caught unaware, I will find a way to either rapidly put up protection or get away to do so at my leisure.

77) If I am a spellcaster, I will have a functional and useful spell memorization. I will never quicken stupid spells just to suck up a level slot.

Grand Lodge 4/5 Venture-Agent, Nevada—Las Vegas aka kinevon

1 person marked this as a favorite.

78) If I am an arcane spellcaster, I will have Spectral Hand, Greater Invisbility, True Strike and various melee touch spells memorized.

Who says I have to get near you to really wreck your day?

Spoiler:
The wizard PC in my Dragon's Demand game is going to town with Spectral Hand and Chill Touch, I think it is. Le sigh.

Shadow Lodge 4/5

1 person marked this as a favorite.

I like this thread, it displays perfectly how the system has to bend over backwards to offer a challenge to the players.

Or rather, how lvl 7+ becomes rocket tag. For every trick, a countermeasure, for every ploy an answer, so better go in all guns blazing. To at least do something!

Grand Lodge

6 people marked this as a favorite.

79) I will have a name that is both easy to pronounce and easy to remember.

Sovereign Court 5/5

5 people marked this as a favorite.
Seth Gipson wrote:
79) I will have a name that is both easy to pronounce and easy to remember.

80)...and cannot easily be mispronounced into something funny or dirty.

Grand Lodge

4 people marked this as a favorite.
Kristie Schweyer wrote:
Seth Gipson wrote:
79) I will have a name that is both easy to pronounce and easy to remember.
80)...and cannot easily be mispronounced into something funny or dirty.

81)...or a pun.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Muser wrote:
I like this thread, it displays perfectly how the system has to bend over backwards to offer a challenge to the players.

Really, what it demonstrates is that organized play tends to trend towards optimized play and optimized design, as the player base plays more and more adventures.

You just can't expect bad guys to compete against 5 actions to their 1 action unless they far outmatch the party. This means that encounters either need to be designed with this in mind (meaning harder encounters with higher CRs to allow for multiple challenging foes), or they need to be designed so that killing the bad guys is no longer the key to "winning" the encounter.

Yes, you will punch the bad guys in the face. I know you will punch them in the face, and barring a death or two, maybe an occasional TPK, you will win. When that becomes commonplace, then the encounter needs to be about something else-- acquiring something before the bad guys acquire it, acquiring something before a specific condition is met, keeping someone/thing alive, preventing a static object's destruction, that sort of thing.

This is the same lesson we learned in Living Greyhawk, but because we only had about 12 regional scenarios and 10ish core scenarios (and maybe 4 metaregional scenarios) a year, it took 8 years for us to reach that point.

-Ben.

Grand Lodge 5/5 Regional Venture-Coordinator, Eastern Eurasia-Africa

3 people marked this as a favorite.

82. If things turn sour and you want to stay alive, cast stabilize on one of your downed minions. This will convince the PCs you're not evil. Mwhaha!

5/5 ⦵⦵⦵

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Muser wrote:
I like this thread, it displays perfectly how the system has to bend over backwards to offer a challenge to the players.

Or rather that there are some very easy and common means of victory that the PCs are taking that a regular dm could deal with but in PFS needs to be delt with in the writing. In a normal campaign i could start having clerics cary a backup holy symbol, or notice "You know, drinking a cure light wounds potion isn't doing me any good when it means another round of taking 2d6+15 to the face" I can't just give the cleric another holy symbol when his gets sundered, stolen, or mad monkeyed. I can't have a familiar just appear and shake the bad guy awake when he falls over from the witches slumber hex.

Quote:
Or rather, how lvl 7+ becomes rocket tag. For every trick, a countermeasure, for every ploy an answer, so better go in all guns blazing. To at least do something!

Eyup.

Dark Archive

2 people marked this as a favorite.

83. I will always have a negative boon connected to my plans to make Pathfinders think twice before interrupting my plans.

84. If I am a spellcaster I will always start at least 200ft away from the party at the start of combat even if I don't have long ranged spells.

85. I will always keep one cursed item on my person that I never use in case someone tries to steal from me in combat.

Grand Lodge 4/5 Venture-Captain, California—Sacramento aka FLite

The Gaunt Man wrote:

84. If I am a spellcaster I will always start at least 200ft away from the party at the start of combat even if I don't have long ranged spells.

Sadly, due to Table space, this one is virtually impossible to implement. Most PFS maps are 30" by 24" so that they can fit on a typical gaming table (and leave space for players to roll their dice.)

That means that if there is absolutely no blank space at the edge, the most you can be is 150 feet away...

Sovereign Court 5/5

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Card Game, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
terraleon wrote:

Yes, you will punch the bad guys in the face. I know you will punch them in the face, and barring a death or two, maybe an occasional TPK, you will win. When that becomes commonplace, then the encounter needs to be about something else-- acquiring something before the bad guys acquire it, acquiring something before a specific condition is met, keeping someone/thing alive, preventing a static object's destruction, that sort of thing.

This is the same lesson we learned in Living Greyhawk, but because we only had about 12 regional scenarios and 10ish core scenarios (and maybe 4 metaregional scenarios) a year, it took 8 years for us to reach that point.

-Ben.

LFR also started doing this about 1/2-way through, and those encounters were the ones that I enjoyed the most. It's nice to see some examples of that show up in PFS.


Dhjika wrote:
74) If an animal companion is a big part of my power, it will have the exclusive trick and I will be trained in handle animal.

Can you Handle Animal someones AC away from them?

Shadow Lodge

Slacker2010 wrote:
Dhjika wrote:
74) If an animal companion is a big part of my power, it will have the exclusive trick and I will be trained in handle animal.
Can you Handle Animal someones AC away from them?

If you cast charm animal first sure.

5/5 Venture-Agent, Canada—Alberta—Edmonton aka Artoo

Dylos wrote:
Slacker2010 wrote:
Dhjika wrote:
74) If an animal companion is a big part of my power, it will have the exclusive trick and I will be trained in handle animal.
Can you Handle Animal someones AC away from them?
If you cast charm animal first sure.

RAW Handle Animal has no requirements, penalties or bonuses based on the animal's disposition towards the handler.

So not only is Charm Animal not actually required, it doesn't even help.

Ridiculous as it is, that's what the rules actually say.

Edit: That said, NPCs can also use this tactic against PCs.

5/5 ⦵⦵⦵

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Artoo wrote:
RAW Handle Animal has no requirements, penalties or bonuses based on the animal's disposition towards the handler.

No, this does not work

RAW You don't fall down when you die either, you can explode a giant redwood into 100,000 clubs by touching it with a pocket knife and using craft woodworking to turn it into clubs (untrained even!). Not giving in to every bit of rules layering shenanigans is part of a DMs job, even in PFS. (especially in pfs)

5/5 Venture-Agent, Canada—Alberta—Edmonton aka Artoo

BigNorseWolf wrote:
Artoo wrote:
RAW Handle Animal has no requirements, penalties or bonuses based on the animal's disposition towards the handler.

No, this does not work

RAW You don't fall down when you die either, you can explode a giant redwood into 100,000 clubs by touching it with a pocket knife and using craft woodworking to turn it into clubs (untrained even!). Not giving in to every bit of rules layering shenanigans is part of a DMs job, even in PFS. (especially in pfs)

Your link includes James Jacobs saying that yes, you can use Handle Animal to give commands to someone else's animal companion and he makes special exception for getting it to attack a friend. You may notice the part of my post you quoted I was talking about the animal's disposition towards the handler, not targets.

Your examples are frankly in no way comparable to someone commanding an animal that doesn't like him to respond to a command to go sit in the corner.

Venture-Agent, Canada—Ontario—Ottawa aka Mistwalker

2 people marked this as a favorite.

85. If the BBEG has an animal companion, one of it's tricks will be exclusive.

5/5 ⦵⦵⦵

Artoo wrote:


Your link includes James Jacobs saying that yes, you can use Handle Animal to give commands to someone else's animal companion

Yes, another party members, not a strangers. If you want to control an enemy animal you need dominate animal, or at least charm animal.

Quote:
Your examples are frankly in no way comparable to someone commanding an animal that doesn't like him to respond to a command to go sit in the corner.

They're exactly the same: points where the rules didn't think they needed to tell you that got left out, leading to absurd results.

5/5 Venture-Agent, Canada—Alberta—Edmonton aka Artoo

BigNorseWolf wrote:
Artoo wrote:


Your link includes James Jacobs saying that yes, you can use Handle Animal to give commands to someone else's animal companion

Yes, another party members, not a strangers. If you want to control an enemy animal you need dominate animal, or at least charm animal.

I see no such distinction being made. He does make a distinction between wild animals and trained/domesticated ones.

BigNorseWolf wrote:


Quote:
Your examples are frankly in no way comparable to someone commanding an animal that doesn't like him to respond to a command to go sit in the corner.

They're exactly the same: points where the rules didn't think they needed to tell you that got left out, leading to absurd results.

I do not agree with you that the results are absurd. If someone I have never met has trained their dog to sit on command and I walk up to that dog and tell it to sit I think there is a reasonable chance that dog will sit.

Shadow Lodge

Artoo wrote:
I do not agree with you that the results are absurd. If someone I have never met has trained their dog to sit on command and I walk up to that dog and tell it to sit I think there is a reasonable chance that dog will sit.

What if the dog has been ordered to attack you? do you think it will respond to sit then?

Also some police dogs are taught to respond only to German, to avoid issues with civilians commanding them in English.


yeah, i agree with artoo on this one. if an animal is trained and you are practiced in handling animals, it doesn't matter how well the animal knows you. caesar milan handles other people's dogs better than they do all the time. because he's practiced at communicating in a way that animals (perhaps canines in particular) respond to.

Dylos wrote:
Artoo wrote:
I do not agree with you that the results are absurd. If someone I have never met has trained their dog to sit on command and I walk up to that dog and tell it to sit I think there is a reasonable chance that dog will sit.

What if the dog has been ordered to attack you? do you think it will respond to sit then?

Also some police dogs are taught to respond only to German, to avoid issues with civilians commanding them in English.

yes, those dogs have the above mentioned "exclusive" trick or some variation thereof that excludes other languages rather than people.

5/5 ⦵⦵⦵

Artoo take it up in another thread if you want. This is for some tongue in cheek humor about silly ways bad guys keep dying to silly mistakes.

Grand Lodge

Dylos wrote:
Also some police dogs are taught to respond only to German, to avoid issues with civilians commanding them in English.

This is why I think all Druids should teach all the tricks their AC knows in Druidic.

5/5 ⦵⦵⦵

Seth Gipson wrote:
Dylos wrote:
Also some police dogs are taught to respond only to German, to avoid issues with civilians commanding them in English.
This is why I think all Druids should teach all the tricks their AC knows in Druidic.

Druids are forbidden to teach this language to nondruids.

hmmm.. I wonder if the companion counts... :)

5/5

... so I could learn Druidic by following a druid around and listening to what he tells his companion?

Shadow Lodge

GM Lamplighter wrote:
... so I could learn Druidic by following a druid around and listening to what he tells his companion?

Sure!

As long as you have 10 ranks in linguistics and the feat Druidic Decoder.

Grand Lodge

GM Lamplighter wrote:
... so I could learn Druidic by following a druid around and listening to what he tells his companion?

Not really. Just because my dog goes after the bad guy I point at every time I say a specific word doesnt mean you know what that word is. It might be 'attack'. Maybe it's 'kill'. Or 'destroy'. It could be 'table' for all you and the dog know. He just knows how he is supposed to respond when I make certain sounds with my mouth. He doesnt know what they actually mean to you and me though.

5/5 ⦵⦵⦵

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Hey leafytree, I'm a little worried about the new guy.

What makes you say that?

I asked him about the weather. He said "fetch scoobysnacks attack obey that one"

"Dammit. We need to start serving the mushrooms AFTER the meet and greet...

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.

86) More mooks with high STR and cleave to thin out PC groups with lots of pets and/or 7 member groups. The more choppy, the better.

Scarab Sages 5/5 RPG Superstar 2015 Top 16

1 person marked this as a favorite.

87) If I am a Tier 1-2 melee guy, I will have high strength and a x3 or x4 crit weapon. Teach those Pathfinders....


2 people marked this as a favorite.

88) If I am a Tier 1-2 melee guy, I will be a Minotaur that knows how to ambush people. I will go into combat with my gore and my really huge axe and kill the biggest problem in one shot.

Sczarni RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Rusty Ironpants wrote:
87) If I am a Tier 1-2 melee guy, I will have high strength and a x3 or x4 crit weapon. Teach those Pathfinders....

89) If I engage in melee combat and my only gimmick is a high-crit weapon, I will have methods to extend my crit range so I become more of a credible threat. If this requires hiring a party of crossbow users with Butterfly Sting, then so be it. I will also have countermeasures against being disarmed or sundered.

90) To have a chance of competing in the action economy department, I will always take Combat Reflexes if my Dexterity allows.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

91. i will have the ability to use windwall or other type of defensive spell to defend against the touch attacks of the gunslinger, or the plain silliness of archery damage.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Kalvit wrote:
88) If I am a Tier 1-2 melee guy, I will be a Minotaur that knows how to ambush people. I will go into combat with my gore and my really huge axe and kill the biggest problem in one shot.

I approve this message.


(crosses Kyle from favorite DM list)

so how about that local sports team?

92. I will use dominate powers on the big good guys, save for those paladins... and use the parties own resources against them. I will also use magical abilities which eat up time and slow down the advancement of melee characters...

5/5 Venture-Agent, Australia—NSW—Sydney aka lastblacknight

93. As a BBEG my lair will have an alarm system providing ample time to prepare for the party of adventurers; I will meet them on a prepared battleground of my own choosing with an escape route near lots of innocents that I can hide amongst before making my way to safety.

94. I will have a potions of; invisibility, & fly - just in case things go wrong.

95. I will also place some of those arrow magnet cubes in expected lines of fire.


4 people marked this as a favorite.

96. I will not allow PCs to wait an hour outside my door for my buff spells to expire.

Shadow Lodge 5/5

4 people marked this as a favorite.
Finlanderboy wrote:
96. I will not allow PCs to wait an hour outside my door for my buff spells to expire.

as an expansion on this: I will either ambush them while they wait, or leave out the back door with all of my loot, as the situation dictates.

Grand Lodge 4/5 Venture-Agent, Nevada—Las Vegas aka kinevon

The Gaunt Man wrote:
84. If I am a spellcaster I will always start at least 200ft away from the party at the start of combat even if I don't have long ranged spells.

While under Stealth or Invisibility.

Played a scenario where the final fight started with the BBEG about that far away.

Didn't much help him between the arcane's Magic Missiles and my Andoran's longbow with Hunter's Eye (no penalty for the second range increment)...

Dark Archive 5/5 ⦵⦵ Venture-Captain, Minnesota—Minneapolis aka Silbeg

1 person marked this as a favorite.

97) if I am a melee fighter, with only one weapon, I will have improved disarm, so that I can steal the weapon from the sunderer. Then, I will use their most powerful weapons against them.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

98) If I am a Sorcerer or Oracle, I will spam buffs for my allies, and if I am any spellcaster, I will lean toward Communal spells to do same.

99) I will not cast buffs after combat has started except perhaps Haste on myself and many mooks because it improves action economy.

100) I will Fireball potential minions. If they remain conscious they may join me, if not, I let them rot or rent them out to a lower tier BBEG. I will reserve the right to empower said Fireball, and/or upgrade to Chain Lightning or Horrid Wilting and/or change the elemental damage for further testing as I progress in levels.

101) I will not factor Stoneskin as a main defense since adamantine weapons are quite common. It'll remain a nice secondary defense though.

Cheers

Scarab Sages

1 person marked this as a favorite.

102) Summon monster will not be my first spell cast, unless I am invisible or otherwise have total concealment.


Addendum to Dhjika - unless I have Sacred Summons or Acadamae Graduate.

51 to 100 of 121 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Organized Play / Pathfinder Society / Evil Overlord List: Best management Practices for PFS BBGEDs All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.