Question from Kobolds of Golarion


Pathfinder Player Companion

Silver Crusade RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16

I know not many people have seen inside it yet, but one feat struck me as really amazing but also has an error in it that needs addressed.

The kobold-only Scaled Disciple feat essentially allows you to take the Dragon Disciple prestige class as a spontaneous DIVINE caster, treating your divine caster levels as Sorcerer levels for all requirements of the prestige class. Very cool, and I'll be making use of it in my campaigns.

However, it also gives you "a +1 bonus to your caster level when casting spells included in the dragon domain or subdomains". However, there is no "dragon domain", instead it's a subdomain of the Scalykind domain. I'm assuming that this is what the author meant to use... can any of the devs confirm this for me?

Thanks!!

Goblinworks Game Designer

I am not a dev, but I was the author! That is what I mean, yupyup. Apologies for that error.

Silver Crusade RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16

Tork Shaw wrote:
I am not a dev, but I was the author! That is what I mean, yupyup. Apologies for that error.

No problem, Tork. Just wanted to make sure. If there's any chance of getting that tossed in a FAQ, that'd be great.

I love the book, BTW. It's excellent!


Would being able to spontaneously cast domain spells, cure/inflicts, or Summon Nature's Ally count for the requirements?


Since the feat just requires the ability to cast divine spells I think you could go Cleric 5\ Dragon Disciple x. However, the feat also says that the casting Progresses for a spontaneous class so you would be stuck at 3rd level spells.


Interesting. Leaving a dot here.

Goblinworks Game Designer

Urist The Unstoppable wrote:
Would being able to spontaneously cast domain spells, cure/inflicts, or Summon Nature's Ally count for the requirements?

That is not what I intended with this feat. It was designed for spontaneous divine casters, not divine casters who can convert things spontaneously. Basically it allows Dragon Disciple Oracles (although there may be the odd prestige class that grants spontaneous divine spells lists..)

Silver Crusade RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16

Tork Shaw wrote:
Urist The Unstoppable wrote:
Would being able to spontaneously cast domain spells, cure/inflicts, or Summon Nature's Ally count for the requirements?
That is not what I intended with this feat. It was designed for spontaneous divine casters, not divine casters who can convert things spontaneously. Basically it allows Dragon Disciple Oracles (although there may be the odd prestige class that grants spontaneous divine spells lists..)

The Inquisitor also qualifies with no problem.

Shadow Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

Wait, how is an oracle supposed to gain access to the domain spells of the dragon subdomain exactly?

Silver Crusade RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16

doc the grey wrote:
Wait, how is an oracle supposed to gain access to the domain spells of the dragon subdomain exactly?

You don't need access to the specific domain spells, you just get +1 to your caster level any time you're casting those spells that are included.

So you get +1 caster level when casting any of these spells, essentially:
1st—magic fang, 2nd—animal trance, 3rd—greater magic fang, 4th—poison, 5th—animal growth*, 6th—eyebite, 7th—creeping doom (takes the form of Diminutive-sized snakes), 8th—animal shapes*, 9th—shapechange.
3rd—draconic reservoir, 4th—dragon's breath, 6th—form of the dragon I

Some of them are Cleric/Oracle spells that you can learn and cast, a few of them you would get access to through the Dragon Disciple prestige class that you're inevitably taking, cuz otherwise why would you pick this feat? :)

Paizo Employee Developer

5 people marked this as a favorite.

Good catch! The text should say...

Benefit: You gain a +1 bonus to your caster level when casting spells included in the scalykind domain (Inner Sea World Guide) or dragon subdomain (Champions of Purity).

The feat applies only to spontaneous divine casters (such as the oracle), not to those who can spontaneously convert their prepared spells to cure spells or the like (such as the cleric).

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Pathfinder Player Companion / Question from Kobolds of Golarion All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in Pathfinder Player Companion