Has any tried to convert the films of Hayao Miyazaki to Pathfinder?


Conversions


Pathfinder PF Special Edition Subscriber

Just like the title says... has anyone tried to convert the films of Hayao Miyazaki to Pathfinder?

For example -

Castle in the Sky
Nausicaa
Howl's Moving Castle

How would one create the toxic world of Nausicaa?


Converting My Neighbor Totoro is pretty straightforward. Everyone is a level 1 Commoner, some of whom also have the Child template.

Scarab Sages

Princess Mononoke would be quite fun to convert.

Ashitaka as an archery ranger, with an Elk companion for Yakul. Awakened Dire Wolves and Dire Boars. The Spirit of the Forest as a Jinushigami and I guess the little shaky head spirits are Shikigami? It could even be set in Golarion quite easily around Minkai, Chu Ye, Hongal and the Forest of the Spirits. Lady Eboshi and her "leper factory" as an alternate/additional source of firearms in the world.

Silver Crusade

Nausicaa wouldn't be that hard, just cover most of the world in an inhaled poison that does 1d6 of Con damage per round and then give the players a mask that filters the poison.


Hehe...assasinated one on my PCs for going directly against Erastil despite plenty of dire warnings.

Used Mononoke & Ashitaka along with a couple of advanced giant dire wolves to pull it off.


Pathfinder PF Special Edition Subscriber
Elamdri wrote:
Nausicaa wouldn't be that hard, just cover most of the world in an inhaled poison that does 1d6 of Con damage per round and then give the players a mask that filters the poison.

The difficult parts would be the airships, planes, and gliders. We'd also need to stat up the chocobo-like mounts.


Pathfinder PF Special Edition Subscriber
minoritarian wrote:

Princess Mononoke would be quite fun to convert.

Ashitaka as an archery ranger, with an Elk companion for Yakul. Awakened Dire Wolves and Dire Boars. The Spirit of the Forest as a Jinushigami and I guess the little shaky head spirits are Shikigami? It could even be set in Golarion quite easily around Minkai, Chu Ye, Hongal and the Forest of the Spirits. Lady Eboshi and her "leper factory" as an alternate/additional source of firearms in the world.

The "little shaky head spirits" would be a Kami, Kodama. Firearms would be emerging or worse.

Silver Crusade

Lokie wrote:
Elamdri wrote:
Nausicaa wouldn't be that hard, just cover most of the world in an inhaled poison that does 1d6 of Con damage per round and then give the players a mask that filters the poison.
The difficult parts would be the airships, planes, and gliders. We'd also need to stat up the chocobo-like mounts.

Just adapt the vehicle rules from Ultimate Combat. They already have stats for airships and gliders.


Pathfinder PF Special Edition Subscriber
Elamdri wrote:
Lokie wrote:
Elamdri wrote:
Nausicaa wouldn't be that hard, just cover most of the world in an inhaled poison that does 1d6 of Con damage per round and then give the players a mask that filters the poison.
The difficult parts would be the airships, planes, and gliders. We'd also need to stat up the chocobo-like mounts.
Just adapt the vehicle rules from Ultimate Combat. They already have stats for airships and gliders.

Having just viewed the movie again... I think I may just do this sometime.


Nausicaa inspired the Gray Druid and Hivemaster Druid kits back in 2nd Edition's Complete Druid Handbook. I'd rather see her as a NG Blight Druid/Warden Ranger (and I even created a homebrew archetype for her, that hopefully you may see anytime soon *cough*)

Scarab Sages

Lokie wrote:

The "little shaky head spirits" would be a Kami, Kodama. Firearms would be emerging or worse.

I hoped that those kami has been made, though they might be too powerful at CR5...thanks for pointing them out to me though :). Golarion is emerging firearms anyway so that's okay. By alternative source I meant an alternative from Alkenstar - they'd likely be the only source of firearms in Tian Xia.

Grand Lodge

Only after a lot of alcohol


Pathfinder PF Special Edition Subscriber
BB36 wrote:
Only after a lot of alcohol

I see... so that probably means you don't remember doing it.


Though not any kind of direct conversion, many reviewers feel the Kaidan campaign setting, and the Curse of the Golden Spear trilogy of adventures feels very much like "Spirited Away".

Grand Lodge

Lokie wrote:
BB36 wrote:
Only after a lot of alcohol
I see... so that probably means you don't remember doing it.

Oh, I remember doing a version of "My Neighbor Toturo" for my daughters in 2nd Edition.

I decided to try another after I saw "Spirited Away", I was having a few brews. I had planned to run my adult players.

Didn't turn out well


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Trying to do a Miyazaki themed game is mostly a matter of getting the feel right as opposed to needing a specific set of rules. What system you are using would be secondary to your ability to create engaging characters and situations.

It would be a game suited for GMs and players who are into role-playing and diplomacy rather than roll-playing and combat.


Pathfinder PF Special Edition Subscriber

A Miyazaki theme would fit well within both an Urban role-play heavy game/campaign or a combat heavy game I think...

There is room for both if you take "Princess Mononoke", "Nausicca", or "Howl's Moving Castle" as an example. "Princess Mononoke" also shows there is room for guns in fantasy as well.

If you want a "High Sky Piracy" kind of game with airships and guns you could look to "Castle in the Sky" for hints.

A good example of a role-play heavy Miyazaki game could use elements of "Spirited Away" or "Kiki's Delivery Service" or perhaps even "A Cat Returns".

I'm still giving it some thought but I'll most likely be using elements from all of these.

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Conversions / Has any tried to convert the films of Hayao Miyazaki to Pathfinder? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.