Tyranid Lictor Conversion Help?


Conversions


So. This is my first post. Hi! I'm a (relatively) new DM, been playing for about 4-5 years, since the beginning of college, really. Anyway, I'm currently running a steam punk game, and I wanted to throw a Warhammer 40k Lictor at the players, at about a CR 10.

Now, for those of you who don't play 40K, a Lictor is a large Tyranid creature that is essentially a stealth hunter. Quick, nimble, and deathly quiet for something their size.

I started with a Drider, replaced it's weapons with a bunch of natural attacks, added in a few Illithid abilities, and got rid of the Drider's spell like abilities, from there, I advanced the monster as per the rules in the back of the book... but... I dunno. Comparing it to other CR10's... it just looks weak. Could anyone help me out here? I'm not sure exactly what I am doing wrong. Anyway, stats:

Lictor CR10
CE Large Abberation
Init +7 Perception +15 Senses darkvision 120

Defence
AC 23, t 15, ff 18
HP 113
Fort 10 Ref 8 Will 13
SR 13 Immune Sleep

Offence
Speed 30ft Climb 20
Melee 2 Scythes +12 (1d8+2)
Tentacles +12 (1d6+2 plus grab)5ft reach
Sting +15 (1d6+4 plus posion)
SpAtck Mind Blast 30 ft Cone, Save DC 23 or stunned 3d4 rounds
Posion DC 18, 1/round 6 rounds 1d2 Str dmg cure 1 save

Statistics

Str 19 Dex 16 Con 18 Int 11 Wis 16 Cha 16

BAB +11 CMB +15 (+17 grapple) CMD 29 (+41 vs Trip)

Feats Imp. Initiative, Skill Focus Stealth, Multiattack, Imp Grapple, Power Attack, Cleave, Great Cleave

Skills Athletics +27 Intimidate +21 Perception +21 Stealth +24

Anyway, thank you very much. :-)


Can I has flesh hooks? A ranged attack that can do maneuvers (drag, disarm, trip) can make it a lot nastier, as can some sneak attack dice.


Before the PFRPG came out I made myself a document based on the various Tyranid models I had. The I had was to take Tyranids and blend them thematically with the Slivers from the M:tG universe and work in a whole storyline for my game. Well, it worked sort of, but during play test it just proved too complicated the way I had done it and I never got back to refining the idea.

Ultimately I did about 20 or so pages of work on it and it has sat gathering digital dust ever since. If you are interested let me know and maybe I can email you what I did, or post it in sections, or whatever. If not, I will not be offended by any means.

In the mean time, here is one of the stabs I took at the Lictor for 3.5. Mine came in at CR 16 (though I suspect even that is subjective); hopefully you can get some ideas from it.

LICTORS
Lictors rove ahead of Tyranid ground swarms seeking out pockets of enemy resistance to be eradicated and native life forms to be absorbed. Lictors are often referred to as Spooks or Mantis Stalkers because of their unnerving behavioural patterns and combat techniques. Lictors are intelligent and possess highly developed sensory organs so they can see, smell, hear and taste their prey long before it becomes aware of their presence. Lictors are highly adapted to survival in hostile environments as an apex predator. Stalking Lictors exude a pheromone trail which draws other Tyranid creatures in their wake. A larger concentration of prey stimulates a stronger pheromone response and brings a larger group of trailing Tyranids.

LICTOR CR 16
Large Magical Beast (Tyranid)

HD: 9D10+54 HP: 103

Initiative: +3
Speed: 40ft.
Synaptic Range: 300ft.
BAB: +9 ; Grap +21 (+9 BAB, +4 Str., +4 Large Size, +2 Multi-Limbed, +2 Flesh Hooks)
Attack Actions:
+13 melee (1d10+4, heavy bone-claw), or
+12 ranged (3d4, fleshhooks), or
Full Attack Action:
+13/+13 melee (1d10+4, two heavy bone-claws) and +9/+9 melee (1d8+4 two claws [POISONOUS]), or +8/+8/+8/+8/+8/+8 touch (1d4, six feeder tendrils [ABILITY DRAIN])
+12/+7 ranged (3d4, fleshhooks)
Reach - 10ft
Armor Class: 14, touch 12, flat-footed 9 (-1 size, +3 Dex, +2 Natural Armor)
Damage Resistance: 5/ -
Saves: Fort +12, Ref +6, Will +6
AL: Neutral Evil
Abilities: Str 18, Dex 16, Con 23, Int 17, Wis 16, Cha 21
Skills: Climb +15, Hide +20, Listen +20, Move Silently +20, Spot +20, Survival +12.
Feats: Improved Grapple, Improved Multi-Attack, Multi-Attack, Stealthy.
Special Qualities:
Feeder Tendrils (Ex): Lictor feeder tentacles are tipped with sharpened bony plates and are used to lobotomize victims so that the Lictor can absorb their genetic data by consuming their brains. Once a Lictor draws a pinned opponent into their square it can attempt to engage the opponent with its feeder tendrils. These touch attacks do not draw an attack of opportunity. Every succesfull hit drains 1pt. from each of the victims ability scores. Lost ability scores return at the rate of one per day.
Flesh Hooks (Ex): The two flesh hooks are the most unusual of the Lictor weapons. They are formed out of carbon-based chitin with a razor edge and are attached to lengths of exceptionally tough muscle fiber situated between the ribs. The hooks extend up to 30 ft. and allow Lictors to snare their victims from a distance. These hooks can grapple a target and move him towards the Lictor at a rate of 15 feet per round. Anyone caught in these flesh hooks is affected by the Lictor’s invisibility and disappears from sight. If both flesh hooks hit then the Lictor gets a +2 circumstantial bonus on grapple checks.
Hive Mind (Ex): The Tyranid race has a single cohesive mind, as if it were all one entity, and the mind of this racial being is called the Tyranid hive mind. If one is aware of a particular danger they all are. If one in the group is not flat-footed none of them are. No tyranid in the mind is considered flanked unless all of them are. Lictors have a synapse range of 300 feet.
Immune to Psychology (Ex): These Tyranids are immune to all fear effects. Any hive mind creature within the synapse range of one of these creatures is also immune to fear effects.
Immune to Disease and Poison (Ex): All Tyranids are immune to all natural diseases and poisons.
Invisibility (Su): Lictors are covered with tiny chameleonic scales which shift their color and texture to match the creatures surroundings. These make Lictors exceedingly difficult to spot except at very close range. The Lictors chameleonic scales affect it as if it were under the effects of a permanent invisibility spell. Whenever it attacks it becomes visible for one full round. Maintaining grapples do not count as attack actions for the Lictor, but initiating one (either by approaching or through flesh hooks) does.
Multi-limbed (Ex): All tyranids of have six or more limbs, normally four fore-limbs and two legs but not always. In the case of many forelimbs tyranids can multi-weapon fight in the same manner as humans can two-weapon fight.
Poison (Ex): Lictor poison acts as a powerful paralytic agent. Any one struck by a Lictor’s claw attack must make a Fortitude save DC 18 or become paralyzed for 1d4 rounds.
Scent (Ex): The Lictor’s scent range is extended to 200 feet.
Skills (Ex): The Lictor has a +8 racial bonus on Listen, Spot, Hide and Move Silently checks.
Synaptic Senses (Su): All Tyranids within the synaptic range of a Lictor can smell, hear, taste, see, and otherwise sense everything that the Lictor can. This grants all Tyranids an additional +8 to Listen and Spot checks. Bonuses from other Lictors stack.


Shaman, adding flesh hooks would be a great idea, thank you so much for that. Sneak attacks would be good too, but not great. They will be fighting only one of them, so there wont be any flanking going on, at least on the Lictor's part. Maybe I could give it some spell like abilities, though, like Invisibility and Vanish and whatnot, that would make the sneak attacks useful in more than just the surprise round.

Katerek, dude, that's nice. A bit higher CR than I'm looking for, like I said, but I'd love to see more of what you had. Email's johonoknat@yahoo.com. I have a friend of mine's pdf of the Phryigian, a race which are his take on the Tyranid/Xenomorph type race, his CR's go from 3-20, which is nice, but they don't have any assassin types that I've seen, then again, not had much time to look through thoroughly.

Thank you both though, and if anyone else has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.


Increase the critical range of the scythe to that of 18-20 x3. That should help a bit. As I recall, haven't played 40k in a real long time, these guys are supposed to be very deadly in 1 on 1 combat, so play test it against a single 10th level fighter. If this thing wins about 60%-70% of the time, I'd say it is about right.

Damage should be +4 due to 19 strength.

Grand Lodge

They shouldn't have that much hp, you still have to kill them with a few shots from some not all that impressive guns. Las guns in the setting are about as powerful as modern rifles (basically the same damage as guns the rifle from UC, 1d10) are (even if it's shorter ranged), and you can kill a lictor with a few shots (average 9, 10 in the roleplaying game) from them. As it stands this creature can take roughly twice the damage the one we've seen write-ups of can.


Creeping Death, actually, the Sting attack is the only 'primary' attack of the creature, the secondary attacks only gets half of it's strength bonus to damage. Increasing the crit range is a good idea though.

Kais86, I always max out my npc's HP, especially if the players are supposed to fight them solo. ...and... how do you figure a Lasgun is on par with a modern rifle?

Grand Lodge

Joshua Ernest wrote:

Creeping Death, actually, the Sting attack is the only 'primary' attack of the creature, the secondary attacks only gets half of it's strength bonus to damage. Increasing the crit range is a good idea though.

Kais86, I always max out my npc's HP, especially if the players are supposed to fight them solo. ...and... how do you figure a Lasgun is on par with a modern rifle?

The way they respond to the rest of the world when not in the hands of a writer who, pardon the phrase, has a massive hard-on for them. I'm looking at you C.S. Goto. The setting also has slug-throwing weapons which also tend to respond to the world much like modern rifles and they are the same stats as the standard las guns.

There's also the fact that they are just as strong as the guys carrying them, to which a lot of people respond "Can a guy punch through concrete like a las gun?" to which I respond "Yes, all the time, they have competitions, and television shows about this kind of stuff" I've read a bunch of books on it and all evidence points to them being roughly on par with modern rifles. Even if much of the science revolving around them is quite mad.


Joshua Ernest wrote:

Katerek, dude, that's nice. A bit higher CR than I'm looking for, like I said, but I'd love to see more of what you had. Email's johonoknat@yahoo.com. I have a friend of mine's pdf of the Phryigian, a race which are his take on the Tyranid/Xenomorph type race, his CR's go from 3-20, which is nice, but they don't have any assassin types that I've seen, then again, not had much time to look through thoroughly.

Thank you both though, and if anyone else has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

I just sent you that .doc file I did. The CRs are all over the place but hopefully you can get some use out of it. I put a lot of time into it.


Katerek wrote:
Joshua Ernest wrote:

Katerek, dude, that's nice. A bit higher CR than I'm looking for, like I said, but I'd love to see more of what you had. Email's johonoknat@yahoo.com. I have a friend of mine's pdf of the Phryigian, a race which are his take on the Tyranid/Xenomorph type race, his CR's go from 3-20, which is nice, but they don't have any assassin types that I've seen, then again, not had much time to look through thoroughly.

Thank you both though, and if anyone else has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

I just sent you that .doc file I did. The CRs are all over the place but hopefully you can get some use out of it. I put a lot of time into it.

A lictor is really begging for a continual Blur effect.


Katerek wrote:

Before the PFRPG came out I made myself a document based on the various Tyranid models I had. The I had was to take Tyranids and blend them thematically with the Slivers from the M:tG universe and work in a whole storyline for my game. Well, it worked sort of, but during play test it just proved too complicated the way I had done it and I never got back to refining the idea.

Ultimately I did about 20 or so pages of work on it and it has sat gathering digital dust ever since. If you are interested let me know and maybe I can email you what I did, or post it in sections, or whatever. If not, I will not be offended by any means.

In the mean time, here is one of the stabs I took at the Lictor for 3.5. Mine came in at CR 16 (though I suspect even that is subjective); hopefully you can get some ideas from it.

LICTORS
Lictors rove ahead of Tyranid ground swarms seeking out pockets of enemy resistance to be eradicated and native life forms to be absorbed. Lictors are often referred to as Spooks or Mantis Stalkers because of their unnerving behavioural patterns and combat techniques. Lictors are intelligent and possess highly developed sensory organs so they can see, smell, hear and taste their prey long before it becomes aware of their presence. Lictors are highly adapted to survival in hostile environments as an apex predator. Stalking Lictors exude a pheromone trail which draws other Tyranid creatures in their wake. A larger concentration of prey stimulates a stronger pheromone response and brings a larger group of trailing Tyranids.

LICTOR CR 16
Large Magical Beast (Tyranid)

HD: 9D10+54 HP: 103

Initiative: +3
Speed: 40ft.
Synaptic Range: 300ft.
BAB: +9 ; Grap +21 (+9 BAB, +4 Str., +4 Large Size, +2 Multi-Limbed, +2 Flesh Hooks)
Attack Actions:
+13 melee (1d10+4, heavy bone-claw), or
+12 ranged (3d4, fleshhooks), or
Full Attack Action:
+13/+13 melee (1d10+4, two heavy bone-claws) and +9/+9 melee (1d8+4 two claws [POISONOUS]), or +8/+8/+8/+8/+8/+8 touch (1d4,...

I would definitely be interested in your conversions, I am going to be running a starfinder campaign and wanted the tyranids in it as well as the swarm


I think it’s talons should be primary weapons and I agree with a previous poster that it’s fit range should be increased to simulate rending.

Flesh hooks is amazing idea, for a ranged grapple drag type effect.

I also think something to do with movement based stealth, like they have an invisibility effect on them for every turn they move and give it pounce, that should do the trick.

Then you’ve got something that crawls across the ceiling invisibly shooting hooks at people and yanking them up.

Running round invisibly, pouncing someone, then farting across and pouncing on someone else the following turn.


Purge them with sword and flame!!!

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Conversions / Tyranid Lictor Conversion Help? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in Conversions