>>Ask *James Jacobs* ALL your Questions Here!<<


Off-Topic Discussions

10,901 to 10,950 of 83,601 << first < prev | 214 | 215 | 216 | 217 | 218 | 219 | 220 | 221 | 222 | 223 | 224 | next > last >>
Paizo Employee Creative Director

SquishyPoetFromBeyondTheStars wrote:

Hay James,

I was thinking of writing up an archetype for a "Numerian Machinist" and an archetype for the "Eagle Knights" for my home pathfinder game.

I was thinking the Numerian Machinist could go off of Wizard or Alchemist and have abilities like recharging batteries for Numerian tech and maybe something with constructs.

For the Eagle Knight I'm not sure where to go with the archetype but I know I want to represent all 3 branches of the Eagle knights in the archetype. Maybe use Fighter or Cavalier as the base.

can you offer any suggestions on designing these archetypes?

Thank you in advance.

I cannot offer suggestions, since both of those are strong contenders to get archetypes or prestige classes or something some day down the line, and I'd rather not show my cards yet.


James Jacobs wrote:
SquishyPoetFromBeyondTheStars wrote:

Hay James,

I was thinking of writing up an archetype for a "Numerian Machinist" and an archetype for the "Eagle Knights" for my home pathfinder game.

I was thinking the Numerian Machinist could go off of Wizard or Alchemist and have abilities like recharging batteries for Numerian tech and maybe something with constructs.

For the Eagle Knight I'm not sure where to go with the archetype but I know I want to represent all 3 branches of the Eagle knights in the archetype. Maybe use Fighter or Cavalier as the base.

can you offer any suggestions on designing these archetypes?

Thank you in advance.

I cannot offer suggestions, since both of those are strong contenders to get archetypes or prestige classes or something some day down the line, and I'd rather not show my cards yet.

Fair enough I look foreword to seeing these in the future. I personally can't wait for more Numerian stuff I really enjoyed the Red Redoubt of Karamoss. thanks for the reply.

Liberty's Edge

James Jacobs wrote:
Golden-Esque wrote:

Dear James Jacobs,

Does firing both barrels of a double-barreled firearm count as a single attack or as two attacks for the purpose of making attacks?

For example, as a 7th Level Gunslinger (whose reloading action has been reduced to a free action with feats / deeds / cartridges), can I:

Load Barrel 1, Load Barrel 2
Fire both (BAB 7) + (-4 double barrel shot) + (Dex + Enhancement)
Load Barrel 1, Load Barrel 2
Fire Both (BAB 2) +(-4 double barrel shot) + (Dex + Enhancement)

Basically, does firing both shots in a double barrel firearm count as one attack or two for the purpose of determining attacks per round, based on your base attack bonus, feats like rapid shot, etc?

Firing both barrels counts as a single attack.

The problem is that you can get up to 10 attacks each round from a 2-barreled muzzle loader while you can get only 6 every 2 rounds with a revolver as you will always need a move action to reload the revolver.

Haste can bring the attacks from the muzzle loader up to 12 while the revolver would still be locked in a ROF of 6 shots every 2 rounds (the first 2 rounds you would get 7 rounds, 6 the first one, reload, 1 shot, but the it would drop to 6 every 2 rounds).

Liberty's Edge

A question about Golarion castle, mansion and so on.

How common are "family" ghosts and haunting?
There are haunting "friendly" to the family owners and hostile to intruders, things like the family ghost that rung a bell every time some stranger with murdering intents against a family member enter the mansion grounds and other examples from folklore?

I mean entities a little less story specific than

spoiler:
the ghost in the first AP of Carrion crown, with her very specific agenda
.

For example something like this:
"There is a tale about the Highwater castle, The castle is inhabited by the ghost of armmaster Armstrong. He was distracted by a a conniving wench and failed to protect his lord that was assassinated. He did take his life in remorse. From that day his ghost is watching endlessly the castle ground, he will shout a warning and assault anyone he perceive as an enemy of the rightful castle lord."

"Lady Marion was poisoned during a banquet, from that day every time a poisoned drink is brought into the banquet hall it become blood red."

If not overdone this can add a bit more "personality" to some location and some interesting plot twist. Or you think it would sound forced?

Not all the ghost need to be benevolent. The old miser ghost can wail a warning if someone try to steal from the house but he will wail all night if the mansion owner make a big expense.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Bruno Mares wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
6) I'm not sure this is really a question... there seems to be words missing from it.

Yes, a few words was missing.

It should be:

6) What is the quality control of Paizo about the new material created? I'm not talking about grammatical errors or what might be fixed in errata. I afraid we start to see classes and more classes that make no sense, overpowered feats and useless spells (or all this together). So, what is the quality control for new publications?

I hope now there are missing no words :D

So you're basically asking one of the front people of Paizo. "When is your company scheduled to suck?" Can you see the problem with this approach?


LazarX wrote:
Bruno Mares wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
6) I'm not sure this is really a question... there seems to be words missing from it.

Yes, a few words was missing.

It should be:

6) What is the quality control of Paizo about the new material created? I'm not talking about grammatical errors or what might be fixed in errata. I afraid we start to see classes and more classes that make no sense, overpowered feats and useless spells (or all this together). So, what is the quality control for new publications?

I hope now there are missing no words :D

So you're basically asking one of the front people of Paizo. "When is your company scheduled to suck?" Can you see the problem with this approach?

His english is bad, but I got a different take. I think he is asking about what quality control measures are being taken to make sure things don't go bad.

Of course I still don't think it is something I would post so a rival can use the idea also.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Diego Rossi wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Golden-Esque wrote:

Dear James Jacobs,

Does firing both barrels of a double-barreled firearm count as a single attack or as two attacks for the purpose of making attacks?

For example, as a 7th Level Gunslinger (whose reloading action has been reduced to a free action with feats / deeds / cartridges), can I:

Load Barrel 1, Load Barrel 2
Fire both (BAB 7) + (-4 double barrel shot) + (Dex + Enhancement)
Load Barrel 1, Load Barrel 2
Fire Both (BAB 2) +(-4 double barrel shot) + (Dex + Enhancement)

Basically, does firing both shots in a double barrel firearm count as one attack or two for the purpose of determining attacks per round, based on your base attack bonus, feats like rapid shot, etc?

Firing both barrels counts as a single attack.

The problem is that you can get up to 10 attacks each round from a 2-barreled muzzle loader while you can get only 6 every 2 rounds with a revolver as you will always need a move action to reload the revolver.

Haste can bring the attacks from the muzzle loader up to 12 while the revolver would still be locked in a ROF of 6 shots every 2 rounds (the first 2 rounds you would get 7 rounds, 6 the first one, reload, 1 shot, but the it would drop to 6 every 2 rounds).

One good way to prevent that problem, of course, is to not allow double-barrel guns... or not allow guns at all. Every GM has a different "power" threshold for their game. Some GMs would be fine with a high level gunslinger taking ten attacks around. Others? Not so much.

Change the game to be the game YOU want to play.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Diego Rossi wrote:

A question about Golarion castle, mansion and so on.

How common are "family" ghosts and haunting?
There are haunting "friendly" to the family owners and hostile to intruders, things like the family ghost that rung a bell every time some stranger with murdering intents against a family member enter the mansion grounds and other examples from folklore?

I mean entities a little less story specific than ** spoiler omitted **.

For example something like this:
"There is a tale about the Highwater castle, The castle is inhabited by the ghost of armmaster Armstrong. He was distracted by a a conniving wench and failed to protect his lord that was assassinated. He did take his life in remorse. From that day his ghost is watching endlessly the castle ground, he will shout a warning and assault anyone he perceive as an enemy of the rightful castle lord."

"Lady Marion was poisoned during a banquet, from that day every time a poisoned drink is brought into the banquet hall it become blood red."

If not overdone this can add a bit more "personality" to some location and some interesting plot twist. Or you think it would sound forced?

Not all the ghost need to be benevolent. The old miser ghost can wail a warning if someone try to steal from the house but he will wail all night if the mansion owner make a big expense.

Hauntings of locations are about as common as they are in the real world—seems like every town has a story about a haunted house, and if that translates into every Golarion town/city having a haunted house... that'd be fine as well. In the end, though, it doesn't matter if there's only 1 haunted house in the world or 1 per city—there only has to be enough of them to do what you want in your game.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

wraithstrike wrote:
LazarX wrote:
Bruno Mares wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
6) I'm not sure this is really a question... there seems to be words missing from it.

Yes, a few words was missing.

It should be:

6) What is the quality control of Paizo about the new material created? I'm not talking about grammatical errors or what might be fixed in errata. I afraid we start to see classes and more classes that make no sense, overpowered feats and useless spells (or all this together). So, what is the quality control for new publications?

I hope now there are missing no words :D

So you're basically asking one of the front people of Paizo. "When is your company scheduled to suck?" Can you see the problem with this approach?

His english is bad, but I got a different take. I think he is asking about what quality control measures are being taken to make sure things don't go bad.

Of course I still don't think it is something I would post so a rival can use the idea also.

And to a certain extent, the actions we take to keep our quality control as great as possible are trade secrets. Just like a chef might not want to reveal his exact recipe for fear a competitor might steal it... we don't necessarily want to broadcast to the public how we plan on keeping our publications great. I CAN say that quality control IS important to us, but what our exact plans are to ensure things remain high quality are... that part's not really for the public to know.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:

[

1) The Worldwound's rate of expansion is erratic; sudden increases separated by years or even decades. When it DOES expand, though, it's noticeable.

So it would be best to say that it expands like the speed of plot? I once used to describe Star Trek's Warp Factor as more a measure of drama than speed.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

LazarX wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:

[

1) The Worldwound's rate of expansion is erratic; sudden increases separated by years or even decades. When it DOES expand, though, it's noticeable.

So it would be best to say that it expands like the speed of plot? I once used to describe Star Trek's Warp Factor as more a measure of drama than speed.

That's certainly one way to say it.


Dear James,

Is it RAW or RAI for Magai to use Arcane Mark with a Spellstrike/Spell Combat Full attack.

The net effect (at low level) allowing a Magus to Make 2attacks, when full attacking. This is doable from second level.

I haven't found it overpowering, but some of the guys I play with don't like it.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

STR Ranger wrote:

Dear James,

Is it RAW or RAI for Magai to use Arcane Mark with a Spellstrike/Spell Combat Full attack.

The net effect (at low level) allowing a Magus to Make 2attacks, when full attacking. This is doable from second level.

I haven't found it overpowering, but some of the guys I play with don't like it.

Ask your GM.

If I were your GM, I wouldn't allow you to use cantrips with your Spellstrike/Spell Combat attack; I suspect this is the way the rules were intended to function. That would limit the number of times per day you could do this to actually how many spells you had in the first place, which is the point.

Cantrips, in other words, are not really spells, even though we play fast and loose with that terminology. They're cantrips, not spells.


Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Lost Omens Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
STR Ranger wrote:

Dear James,

Is it RAW or RAI for Magai to use Arcane Mark with a Spellstrike/Spell Combat Full attack.

The net effect (at low level) allowing a Magus to Make 2attacks, when full attacking. This is doable from second level.

I haven't found it overpowering, but some of the guys I play with don't like it.

Ask your GM.

If I were your GM, I wouldn't allow you to use cantrips with your Spellstrike/Spell Combat attack; I suspect this is the way the rules were intended to function. That would limit the number of times per day you could do this to actually how many spells you had in the first place, which is the point.

Cantrips, in other words, are not really spells, even though we play fast and loose with that terminology. They're cantrips, not spells.

Isn't that an incorrect reading of Spell Strike? My impression is that spell strike allows the delivery of a touch spell through the melee attack. It doesn't give a free bonus melee attack.

Normal Spell Combat: Cast spell, requiring a melee touch attack + hit with sword.

Spellstrike: cast spell, hit with sword, deliver spell via spellstrike. 1 melee attack with a spell attached.

So Arcane Mark using spell strike still only hits the target once with the sword, but it delivers the spell payload: writing stuff on the target.

I really don't see there being any problem with that. There are no cantrips that do more damage than a dagger, so it is no more powerful than two-weapon fighting.

Or am I completely wrong about how spellstrike works?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

2 people marked this as a favorite.
deinol wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
STR Ranger wrote:

Dear James,

Is it RAW or RAI for Magai to use Arcane Mark with a Spellstrike/Spell Combat Full attack.

The net effect (at low level) allowing a Magus to Make 2attacks, when full attacking. This is doable from second level.

I haven't found it overpowering, but some of the guys I play with don't like it.

Ask your GM.

If I were your GM, I wouldn't allow you to use cantrips with your Spellstrike/Spell Combat attack; I suspect this is the way the rules were intended to function. That would limit the number of times per day you could do this to actually how many spells you had in the first place, which is the point.

Cantrips, in other words, are not really spells, even though we play fast and loose with that terminology. They're cantrips, not spells.

Isn't that an incorrect reading of Spell Strike? My impression is that spell strike allows the delivery of a touch spell through the melee attack. It doesn't give a free bonus melee attack.

Normal Spell Combat: Cast spell, requiring a melee touch attack + hit with sword.

Spellstrike: cast spell, hit with sword, deliver spell via spellstrike. 1 melee attack with a spell attached.

So Arcane Mark using spell strike still only hits the target once with the sword, but it delivers the spell payload: writing stuff on the target.

I really don't see there being any problem with that. There are no cantrips that do more damage than a dagger, so it is no more powerful than two-weapon fighting.

Or am I completely wrong about how spellstrike works?

Honestly, you probably know more about spellstrike than I do. I haven't needed to look at those rules in detail yet, and probably won't until I come across a magus character I need to stat up or develop for a product.

SO!

I just burned the calories to pick up Ultimate Magic and corrected that lack in my knowledge.

And you're right. Spellstrike does not grant you an extra attack. It allows you to make an attack as part of a spellcasting action—essentially, it adds "swing your weapon to hit the target" to the spell's somatic component, more or less. The attack itself is free... but the act of casting the spell in the first place still takes up a standard action (or whatever action the spell casting normally requires).

So you COULD use arcane strike as a spellstrike, but that'd be a pretty poor decision since all you'd gain from this is the ability to write a word on the person you hit with your weapon (and with a penalty to hit as well).

Liberty's Edge RPG Superstar 2008 Top 32, 2011 Top 16

I think the question is more about can you combine spellstrike with spell combat to gain an extra melee attack, by combining the melee attack with spell for your spellstrike, with your full attack from spell combat (albeit with a -2 to all attacks that round.)

If I'm reading the rules right, you can, but since spellstrike only works with melee touch spells, and there aren't any such cantrips that are combat spells, I'm thinking that arcane mark is an oversight and probably wasn't intended to work with spellstrike/spell combat combination.


JoelF847 wrote:

I think the question is more about can you combine spellstrike with spell combat to gain an extra melee attack, by combining the melee attack with spell for your spellstrike, with your full attack from spell combat (albeit with a -2 to all attacks that round.)

If I'm reading the rules right, you can, but since spellstrike only works with melee touch spells, and there aren't any such cantrips that are combat spells, I'm thinking that arcane mark is an oversight and probably wasn't intended to work with spellstrike/spell combat combination.

There is a Magus Arcana that let's you use Ranged Touch spells as Melee Touch spells when using Spell Combat.

By taking that Magus Arcana, you can cast Ray of Frost and Acid Splash as Touch Attacks, allowing you to benefit from the extra Melee Attack during a full attack action with Spell Combat whenever you want.

Personally, since Spell Combat says that you can cast a spell in your offhand as if you were Two-Weapon Fighting and Spellstrike says you can replace the touch attack of a touch spell with a melee attack, then yes, I think you can combine those two together (as a full-round action, mind you) to make an extra attack that has a touch spell stored in it. And even though it's possible to use Spell Combat with cantrips, doing so requires the investment of a Magus Arcana, which seems fair to me.


Hi James, back to pick our brain! Asking from a campaign "feel" perspective, when your player characters reach level 15, how do you see them interacting with the inhabitants of the world given that they are effectively untouchable by normal NPCS levels? Are they the baddest guys in town? Or would say Magnimar have a decent number of level 15s in town? Would some law keepers be up towards level 20? Or would city/village officials recruit other bands of level 15s to counter any threats? Given the large number of high CR monsters in the beastary, why do they not over run settlements? Due to large numbers of humans/Demi-humans?

I am asking specifically about Golarion here. I have a party of level 15s and I am trying to understand where the fit in the world. Are they super-heros (I am a fan of more dark and gritty fantasy so this rubs me wrong) or are they just part of an elite minority?


Golden-Esque wrote:
JoelF847 wrote:

I think the question is more about can you combine spellstrike with spell combat to gain an extra melee attack, by combining the melee attack with spell for your spellstrike, with your full attack from spell combat (albeit with a -2 to all attacks that round.)

If I'm reading the rules right, you can, but since spellstrike only works with melee touch spells, and there aren't any such cantrips that are combat spells, I'm thinking that arcane mark is an oversight and probably wasn't intended to work with spellstrike/spell combat combination.

There is a Magus Arcana that let's you use Ranged Touch spells as Melee Touch spells when using Spell Combat.

By taking that Magus Arcana, you can cast Ray of Frost and Acid Splash as Touch Attacks, allowing you to benefit from the extra Melee Attack during a full attack action with Spell Combat whenever you want.

Personally, since Spell Combat says that you can cast a spell in your offhand as if you were Two-Weapon Fighting and Spellstrike says you can replace the touch attack of a touch spell with a melee attack, then yes, I think you can combine those two together (as a full-round action, mind you) to make an extra attack that has a touch spell stored in it. And even though it's possible to use Spell Combat with cantrips, doing so requires the investment of a Magus Arcana, which seems fair to me.

This sounds like a case of RAW versus RAI. Considering the action economy, I would say that no you could not do this only because it is like getting 4 actions in a round. Also, you are probably missing something where it says something along the lines of "Spellstrike is a Standard action" etc. Unless both Spell Combat and Spellstrike are free actions (unlikely) you won't be able to do this as you think you can.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:

Honestly, you probably know more about spellstrike than I do. I haven't needed to look at those rules in detail yet, and probably won't until I come across a magus character I need to stat up or develop for a product.

SO!

I just burned the calories to pick up Ultimate Magic and corrected that lack in my knowledge.

And you're right. Spellstrike does not grant you an extra attack. It allows you to make an attack as part of a spellcasting action—essentially, it adds "swing your weapon to hit the target" to the spell's somatic component, more or less. The attack itself is free... but the act of casting the spell in the first place still takes up a standard action (or whatever action the spell casting normally requires).

So you COULD use arcane strike as a spellstrike, but that'd be a pretty poor decision since all you'd gain from this is the ability to write a word on the person you hit with your weapon (and with a penalty to hit as well).

The idea is to get the free extra melee hit in spell combat while not spending a consumable resource i.e. a spell slot. Arcane Mark happens to be the only cantrip which has "Range Touch" in it's description. IF that spell had been Cheese Whiz, that would be the spell we'd be talking about.

Dark Archive

to the Paizo Dinosaur Overlord:
what are the best/most interesting/ect (in your perspective) plot hooks/ adventure seeds in:
Osirion?
Cheliax?
Talador?
Varisia?
Land of the Linnorm Kings?
Land of the Mammoth Lords?
Crown of the World?
Tien Xia?

Liberty's Edge

Catch Terra Nova last night? I was hummming the jurassic park theme a few times during it =p

Spoiler:
I really like the commander even if they are heavily suggesting dark stuff about hi. He's a good leader not afraid to take risks on himself


James Jacobs wrote:
Wounds leave scars if they're allowed to heal without magical healing. Magical healing leaves no scar behind, but once a scar forms, it can't be removed by mere magical healing.

Does this imply that your interpretation of HP damage is entirely literal wounds? Or do you include an abstract element in the meaning of HP, as the rules state?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Alan_Beven wrote:

Hi James, back to pick our brain! Asking from a campaign "feel" perspective, when your player characters reach level 15, how do you see them interacting with the inhabitants of the world given that they are effectively untouchable by normal NPCS levels? Are they the baddest guys in town? Or would say Magnimar have a decent number of level 15s in town? Would some law keepers be up towards level 20? Or would city/village officials recruit other bands of level 15s to counter any threats? Given the large number of high CR monsters in the beastary, why do they not over run settlements? Due to large numbers of humans/Demi-humans?

I am asking specifically about Golarion here. I have a party of level 15s and I am trying to understand where the fit in the world. Are they super-heros (I am a fan of more dark and gritty fantasy so this rubs me wrong) or are they just part of an elite minority?

Check out page 253 of the Inner Sea World Guide where it talks about "Power Levels" for how the world of Golarion breaks down along NPC levels, first of all.

15th level is at the top end of the "Powerful" tier there's not a lot of 10th 15th level characters in Golarion, and those who DO exist are movers and shakers rulers of nations or the like. At this point, the PCs would be regarded as great and legendary heroes. They'd be among the highest level people in any particular town certainly in a town like Magnimar. Lawkeepers in most towns average at 5th level or below, with commanders of generally no higher than 10th level (and usually much lower). A character who wants to break laws once they get to be 15th level is going to be able to do a lot of damage but we assume PCs generally don't do that, since they're supposed to be the good guys. If they DO... the most likely result would be a good or lawful adventuring party would eventually form up to oppose and take the characters in for justice the PCs in such a case have basically become the adventure hook for a group of NPC heroes.

While there are a lot of high CR monsters in the bestiaries... that doesn't mean they're all over the place in Golarion. Nor does it mean there's lots of them. Higher CR monsters tend NOT to live in or near civilized areas mostly because humans tend not to settle in areas like that. High CR monsters are generally only encountered in remote areas like deep wilderness regions or deep dungeons or on the outer planes. You'll note that a LOT of the higher CR monsters are from other planes, or they're from the deep Darklands, or they're things like golems or powerful undead who generally don't wander around but instead "stay home." When a high CR monster DOES decide to try to overrun a settlement... then that's an adventure hook and the PCs get called in.

Also... the fact that humans have such large numbers DOES factor. A single CR 20 monster would be able to kill hundreds, probably thousands of low level creatures if it attacked a city... but eventually the city would drive it off or kill it. If only because they delayed or distracted the monster by being killed in mass long enough for a group of heroes to teleport in or whatever to kill the monster.

Once a group of PCs hits 15th+ level (which is more or less what a group will be once they finish most adventure paths... most will be closer to 16th or 17th though)... they'll be at a point where they could rule nations if they wanted. They can certainly be regarded as superheroes... if you're a fan of dark and gritty fantasy, you might want to consider retiring the PCs at this point and starting up a new group, honestly.

If that doesn't appeal to you, though... you should increasingly take the PCs to new and remote places where they're NOT in civilization treat civilization as the place they go to recover and rest. There are several places on Golarion that can properly challenge 15th level or higher level characters, but they'er not civilized. Look at the Mwangi Expanse, Tanglebriar, the Kodar Mountains, underwater regions, the Eye of Abendego/Sodden Lands, or the Darklands for great places to send high level characters. Other continents can challenge them too; particularly the "wild"ones like Azlant, the Crown of the World, or Sarusan. Other planets work as well... and of course, other planes are the CLASSIC place to adventure once you hit high level.

For examples of what PCs might get up to at 15th level and above... your best bet is to check out the final installment of any adventure path. Not only are those adventures written for 15th 16th level characters... but they all feature extensive articles about what to do AFTER that adventure path is over. Those articles contain adventure hooks, stat blocks, magic items, and all sorts of handy building blocks for GMs seeking to create high level adventures for their groups.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

ulgulanoth wrote:

to the Paizo Dinosaur Overlord:

what are the best/most interesting/ect (in your perspective) plot hooks/ adventure seeds in:
Osirion?
Cheliax?
Talador?
Varisia?
Land of the Linnorm Kings?
Land of the Mammoth Lords?
Crown of the World?
Tien Xia?

Are you asking me to list the "most interesting adventure" in all of those regions? Because if so, my answer is to point you to our Adventure Paths and Modules and Campaign Setting books.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Evil Lincoln wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Wounds leave scars if they're allowed to heal without magical healing. Magical healing leaves no scar behind, but once a scar forms, it can't be removed by mere magical healing.
Does this imply that your interpretation of HP damage is entirely literal wounds? Or do you include an abstract element in the meaning of HP, as the rules state?

Some hp damage is wounds, some are not. I don't bother tracking which attacks do damage or which are close calls, because that gets old and boring and frustrating.

When I need an NPC to be scarred... I just say so and don't worry about WHY he's scarred.

When I want a PC to be scarred... same thing.

Scars have no real game effect. They're like hair color or accents or fingernail length or the color of your underwear—they affect roleplaying, but since they don't affect the rules themselves, they're window dressing. The more you integrate things like that into the rules of the game to explain things, the more you hamper creativity and storytelling options, and that's bad.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Coridan wrote:

Catch Terra Nova last night? I was hummming the jurassic park theme a few times during it =p

** spoiler omitted **

I did indeed see it. Some (mostly) quite good special effects.

Alas... I found the vast majority of the characters to be pretty boring, and the writing was nothing spectacular—I'm hoping those elements punch up somewhat. The show certainly doesn't look like it wants to be "safe" when it comes to the action scenes. I just hope they don't stay "safe" in the writing and characters.

Liberty's Edge

James Jacobs wrote:
re: lake monsters

Don't forget Aomak in the Lake of Vanished Armies in Sargava

Sovereign Court

James,

Check this out:

Badass of the week t-rex article.

From a fellow dino-fan

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Baracutey wrote:

James,

Check this out:

Badass of the week t-rex article.

From a fellow dino-fan

Excellent!


Hi James. You helped me with a problem before (about dinosaurs, no less), so I'm hoping you can give me a firm answer here.

I have been having discussions with a valued, experienced player regarding the ranged rules regarding the -4 to hit penalty for firing at a monster who is engaged in melee and the +4 AC bonus for soft cover when that friend is between the monster and shooter... essentially creating an -8 varience to the attack.

I interpret the rules to say that both do impact if both conditions are simultaneously met. If a friend is in between the archer and the bad guy, and he's engaged in close melee combat (non-reach weapon I believe), then both the +4 AC soft cover bonus and the -4 To Hit penalty apply.

He states that because bodies are constantly moving, weaving, etc, that these two rules really overlap. After all, a body doesn't stay still in a fight. He doesn't feel it was Paizo's intention that they could both applied at the same time.

My player said he wrote Paizo...but there has been no official answer yet. Could you help us settle this matter once and for all?


James Jacobs:
Bestiary 2, first printing, page 313, CR4 monsters.
What is a 'sicuel solifugid'?
It's not listed in the alphabetical listing of monsters at the start of the book; I just searched this website and found nothing...
Is it some cut-at-the-last-minute variant of the giant solifugid, and if so has it shown up/is it due to show up anywhere else?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
JCServant wrote:

Hi James. You helped me with a problem before (about dinosaurs, no less), so I'm hoping you can give me a firm answer here.

I have been having discussions with a valued, experienced player regarding the ranged rules regarding the -4 to hit penalty for firing at a monster who is engaged in melee and the +4 AC bonus for soft cover when that friend is between the monster and shooter... essentially creating an -8 varience to the attack.

I interpret the rules to say that both do impact if both conditions are simultaneously met. If a friend is in between the archer and the bad guy, and he's engaged in close melee combat (non-reach weapon I believe), then both the +4 AC soft cover bonus and the -4 To Hit penalty apply.

He states that because bodies are constantly moving, weaving, etc, that these two rules really overlap. After all, a body doesn't stay still in a fight. He doesn't feel it was Paizo's intention that they could both applied at the same time.

My player said he wrote Paizo...but there has been no official answer yet. Could you help us settle this matter once and for all?

Just because a PC is engaged in melee with a monster doesn't automatically grant cover to that monster. An archer at right angles to such a fight would only suffer the –4 penalty firing into melee; the bonus to AC from cover wouldn't apply. It all depends on where the combatant that would technically be providing the cover stands—if he's between the archer and the target, he would provide cover to the monster and thus the –8 variance.

Hope that clears things up! And the player should probably look into some of the archery feats in the Point Blank Shot feat tree!

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Charles Evans 25 wrote:

James Jacobs:

Bestiary 2, first printing, page 313, CR4 monsters.
What is a 'sicuel solifugid'?
It's not listed in the alphabetical listing of monsters at the start of the book; I just searched this website and found nothing...
Is it some cut-at-the-last-minute variant of the giant solifugid, and if so has it shown up/is it due to show up anywhere else?

The "sicuel solifugid's" name changed to "albino cave solifugid," so as to sync up "Into the Darklands'" critter with Bestiary 2, something the solifugid's original author didn't think to do.


This may seem an odd question, but in Pathfinder Mythos are there male sylphs or is it an exclusively female race like changelings?

Scarab Sages

Hello
Mr. Dino King Jacobs
How the smurf are you doing?
:)
Question:

Feral Speech:

Feral Speech
Prerequisite: You must be at least a 5th-level Wizard to select this discovery.

Benefit: You gain the supernatural ability to speak with and understand the response of any animal as if using speak with animals, though each time you speak to animals, you must decide to communicate with either amphibians, birds, fish, mammals, or reptiles, and can only speak to and understand animals of that type. You can make yourself understood as far as your voice carries. This discovery does not predispose any animal addressed toward you in any way. When you reach 12th level, you can also use this ability to communicate with vermin.

speak with animals:
Speak with Animals
School divination; Level bard 3, druid 1, ranger 1

CASTING
Casting Time 1 standard action
Components V, S

EFFECT
Range personal
Target you
Duration 1 min./level

DESCRIPTION
You can ask questions of and receive answers from animals, but the spell doesn't make them any more friendly than normal. Wary and cunning animals are likely to be terse and evasive, while the more stupid ones make inane comments. If an animal is friendly toward you, it may do some favor or service for you.

+ Summon Monsters
Can I ask the animals I summon with summoning to do things?
Like reading summoning I cant have any of them do anything except they AUTO attack people unless they have more then 2 int,
But with this can i have them flank, use X ability, move here, grapple mid air, grapple someone off a cliff? Exc?
Thanks
Black Lotus


Hey James,

You know when we will see the rest of the iconics in Meet the Iconics seris?

Dark Archive

when the website is down, do paizonians get more stuff done or less?

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

What was the intended purpose of the Wonderseekers that are highlighted in Gnomes of Golarian? They're set up as a faction for PFS play, but unless I'm blind, they're not among the new 5 factions. (which is a pity as they are kind of neat)

Paizo Employee Creative Director

EnderBarney wrote:
This may seem an odd question, but in Pathfinder Mythos are there male sylphs or is it an exclusively female race like changelings?

There are male sylphs.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Black Lotus wrote:

Can I ask the animals I summon with summoning to do things?

Like reading summoning I cant have any of them do anything except they AUTO attack people unless they have more then 2 int,
But with this can i have them flank, use X ability, move here, grapple mid air, grapple someone off a cliff? Exc?
Thanks
Black Lotus

If you can speak with animals, no matter HOW you get that ability, you can command them when you summon them to do things other than auto attack. You can have them flank, use tactics, or whatever... you just need to vocally communicate that to the animal when it takes its action.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

John Kretzer wrote:

Hey James,

You know when we will see the rest of the iconics in Meet the Iconics seris?

I do know, but I've learned after many painful lessons to not give exact dates for when articles will appear on the blog.

They'll get there when they get there. We've got one that's waiting in the pipe, in fact, but when it gets posted depends on blog politics.

Liberty's Edge RPG Superstar 2008 Top 32, 2011 Top 16

James Jacobs wrote:
John Kretzer wrote:

Hey James,

You know when we will see the rest of the iconics in Meet the Iconics seris?

I do know, but I've learned after many painful lessons to not give exact dates for when articles will appear on the blog.

They'll get there when they get there. We've got one that's waiting in the pipe, in fact, but when it gets posted depends on blog politics.

That sounds far more fun than real politics.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

ulgulanoth wrote:
when the website is down, do paizonians get more stuff done or less?

Depends on the department, and depends if the internet and email are down as well.

Without email to interact with freelancers and without internet for research while developing... it can be pretty rough.

And I suspect the web team and customer service team pretty much get NOTHING done at that point... the web team especially, since they have to simultaneously get EVERYTHING done to get the website back up and running.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

JoelF847 wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
John Kretzer wrote:

Hey James,

You know when we will see the rest of the iconics in Meet the Iconics seris?

I do know, but I've learned after many painful lessons to not give exact dates for when articles will appear on the blog.

They'll get there when they get there. We've got one that's waiting in the pipe, in fact, but when it gets posted depends on blog politics.

That sounds far more fun than real politics.

It's not, really. It can be just as frustrating.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

LazarX wrote:
What was the intended purpose of the Wonderseekers that are highlighted in Gnomes of Golarian? They're set up as a faction for PFS play, but unless I'm blind, they're not among the new 5 factions. (which is a pity as they are kind of neat)

I suppose you can see it as a sort of failed experiment. Something we tried out, but that failed to really excite us here at Paizo in the end and failed to excite a lot fans, so it's not something we've done much more with at all.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
LazarX wrote:
What was the intended purpose of the Wonderseekers that are highlighted in Gnomes of Golarian? They're set up as a faction for PFS play, but unless I'm blind, they're not among the new 5 factions. (which is a pity as they are kind of neat)
I suppose you can see it as a sort of failed experiment. Something we tried out, but that failed to really excite us here at Paizo in the end and failed to excite a lot fans, so it's not something we've done much more with at all.

Too bad... I was looking forward to see their faction missions.


Hey I know you (and some others) were looking forward to the new show Terra Nova, so I just thought I'd let you all know that for a limited time iTunes has the EXTENDED pilot for free purchase (HD and SD both). Other sources might have it also, but I know for sure iTunes does.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

AbsolutGrndZer0 wrote:
Hey I know you (and some others) were looking forward to the new show Terra Nova, so I just thought I'd let you all know that for a limited time iTunes has the EXTENDED pilot for free purchase (HD and SD both). Other sources might have it also, but I know for sure iTunes does.

Interesting!

Alas... unless the Extended pilot is nothing but new dinosaur action... I'll pass. The writing and the characters of "Terra Nova" have a LONG way to go if they're going to be anything other than meh. I'll watch the show anyway, since I like the dinosaur elements. I just hope that the rest of the show catches up quick in the quality category to the special effects.


Dear James Jacobs,

You've mentioned before that you occasionally work on the RPG Line in addition to your duties as Supreme Dinosaur Overload of Golarion. Do you have your tiny, tyrannosaurus claws in anything in the upcoming books (Bestiary 3, Ultimate Equipment, Advanced Race Guide)?

If so, care to share some details (even if they're left a bit vague)?

10,901 to 10,950 of 83,601 << first < prev | 214 | 215 | 216 | 217 | 218 | 219 | 220 | 221 | 222 | 223 | 224 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / >>Ask *James Jacobs* ALL your Questions Here!<< All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.