Checking Understanding of Ability Damage to CON


Rules Questions

Sovereign Court

Yo! Quickie here:

Iron Golem spews forth its poison gas.... PC fails saving throw.
PC takes 4 pts CON damage (roll is 4 from 1d4).

PC takes 2 (the amount their CON modifier went down due to the 4 points CON damage and multiplies it by their PC level. This equall the amount of hit point reduction associated with the CON damage?

Did i get this right?

Just checking. Short thread if so. Thanks for any help you can provide.

-Pax


Correct. He would also have a -2 penalty to his Fortitude save.

Note that if a 3 had been rolled on that 1d4, he would only be -1 hp/HD and only -1 to Fort saves.


Pax Veritas wrote:

Yo! Quickie here:

Iron Golem spews forth its poison gas.... PC fails saving throw.
PC takes 4 pts CON damage (roll is 4 from 1d4).

PC takes 2 (the amount their CON modifier went down due to the 4 points CON damage and multiplies it by their PC level. This equall the amount of hit point reduction associated with the CON damage?

Did i get this right?

Just checking. Short thread if so. Thanks for any help you can provide.

-Pax

Correct, but you subtract it from their maximum hitpoints. They don't actually take more hitpoint damage, they just lose maximum hitpoints.

For example : PC has 100hp normal, and has taken 25 hitpoints of damage. He is level 5. He loses 4 points of CON. That's 10 hitpoints off his max, so his max drops to 90. He still has 75 left, because you only reduce his max, not current (unless his current is greater than his new max).

Additionally, he loses 2 off his fortitude save (which means it's harder to make his fort save to resist the next poison test).


Zurai wrote:

Correct. He would also have a -2 penalty to his Fortitude save.

Note that if a 3 had been rolled on that 1d4, he would only be -1 hp/HD and only -1 to Fort saves.

Why? If his score is even he loses 2 mod like he rolled 4, isn't it?

Sovereign Court

I love this place - thanks for your quick responses. Also...

... and once damaged, Pathfinder has 2 Saving throws needed to remove.
Must these be consecutive if attempted during combat, e.g. each round a save is made (min 2 rounds, with effect occuring on the third round?) And, I guess the first SAVE after missing would occur in the second round, the second attempt occuring in the third?

Finally, once combat is over, as the GM, I'd like to assume taking 10 or whatever, so can I just handwaive the "poof" you've saved? I think so.

Please advise.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Xum wrote:
Why? If his score is even he loses 2 mod like he rolled 4, isn't it?

Nope. Ability damage (and only damage, not drain) is handled differently in Pathfinder than it was in 3.x. In Pathfinder, ability damage works like nonlethal damage, in that it doesn't alter your ability score at all; whenever you take ability damage to an ability score, you count up the total ability damage to that score. If the total damage is equal to or higher than the score, you're unconscious. If the total damage is less than that, you take a -1 penalty to anything related to that score for every 2 points of ability damage you've taken to that score. Whether your score is even or odd is entirely irrelevant.

Again, that's only for ability damage. Ability drain still directly reduces your ability score and still gives penalties at arbitrary amounts of drain depending on whether your score started even or odd.


Zurai wrote:
Xum wrote:
Why? If his score is even he loses 2 mod like he rolled 4, isn't it?

Nope. Ability damage (and only damage, not drain) is handled differently in Pathfinder than it was in 3.x. In Pathfinder, ability damage works like nonlethal damage, in that it doesn't alter your ability score at all; whenever you take ability damage to an ability score, you count up the total ability damage to that score. If the total damage is equal to or higher than the score, you're unconscious. If the total damage is less than that, you take a -1 penalty to anything related to that score for every 2 points of ability damage you've taken to that score. Whether your score is even or odd is entirely irrelevant.

Again, that's only for ability damage. Ability drain still directly reduces your ability score and still gives penalties at arbitrary amounts of drain depending on whether your score started even or odd.

Nice one, thanks mate, didn't know that. You can stack ability damage right? And intermitent damage and drain, correct?


Pax Veritas wrote:
Must these be consecutive if attempted during combat, e.g. each round a save is made (min 2 rounds, with effect occuring on the third round?) And, I guess the first SAVE after missing would occur in the second round, the second attempt occuring in the third?

The saves for an Iron Golem's poison do not have to be consecutive. If the saves do need to be consecutive, the poison will tell you so. Although to be fair, every single other example I can find of a poison that needs multiple saves to cure does require them to be consecutive. Still, they all specify consecutive saves, and there's no reason to do that if non-consecutive saves aren't an option.

Quote:
Finally, once combat is over, as the GM, I'd like to assume taking 10 or whatever, so can I just handwaive the "poof" you've saved? I think so.

I don't believe you can take 10 on saving throws. Taking 10 in the rules is specifically an option for skill checks.


Xum wrote:
Nice one, thanks mate, didn't know that. You can stack ability damage right? And intermitent damage and drain, correct?

Yep. It all stacks. Penalties to ability scores (such as from a ray of enfeeblement spell) don't stack, but damage and drain do.


The difference being that damage heals, and drain isn't so easy to recover.

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Rules Questions / Checking Understanding of Ability Damage to CON All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.