Dwarf

Shane Gifford of Fidelis's page

223 posts. Alias of Shane Gifford.


RSS

1 to 50 of 223 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>
Goblin Squad Member

Hardin Steele wrote:
After viewing several alpha streams, most of the woodland hex areas seem sparsely populated with trees. I understand the computer processing issues...my video card is a GTX 560 (decent, not great) and it struggles now with some normal loads. But if the visibility were reduced in a really dense forest (say to 100 or 150 feet), wouldn't the need to process all the foliage 151 feet away be reduced or eliminated?

Though I'm no expert in such things, I believe the issue is that having the computer constantly drawing and removing things in a certain distance based on what you can see at this moment would actually take more computing power than simply drawing all the things within the specific distance. Would be interesting to hear if my guess is anywhere close to the truth. :)

Goblin Squad Member

FMS Quietus wrote:

Having had time to actually watch the Lee's livestream, I think the power mechanic stands out from other games as well. It basically is the representation of a pool of resources for you to use tabletop daily abilities in PFO. When those resources are gone you will need to camp somewhere or go to a tavern to replenish. Right now you have to log off and back in again to replenish.

I've seen other games work with a few abilities in a similar fashion, but usually it has a long cool down to compensate. Having a separate resource bar and how it replenishes I personally think is full of win. Very happy to see this type of thing in the game and I feel it translates well from the table top. It also gives camping and going to taverns a significant mechanical importance while building on the thematic notions of the world. So big yay from me! :D

Should be very interesting to see how the Power mechanics affect the large-scale combats and extended sieges. It seems to me like an attacker in a siege would have to set up a nearby camp for recovering Power, which would give the defenders a goal to attack so that they can actively repel the enemy forces (as opposed to sitting around waiting for the fight to end).

Goblin Squad Member

Dakcenturi wrote:
Kitsune Aou wrote:


Kinda jealous re: PaizoCon, but alas, I can't travel too much right now. Wife is 30wks pregnant with some risk of pre-term labor, and we don't want to be in another state if/when it happens. Apart from that, I wouldn't dare leave without her. :P
I'm in almost the exact same boat, maybe you and I can do some solid testing of the PvP mechanics amongst other things while everyone else is off enjoying PaizoCon

Well then, good luck to both of you and your SO's (would say wives but Dak didn't say that exactly)!

I myself just don't have enough money to fly across the country, or enough endurance to do the car trip on my own (definitely not dwarf-like IRL :P).

Goblin Squad Member

CosmicKirby wrote:
Assuming that 10% of players will go for a non-cute non-sexy race simply "because" is folly.

*gasp* Are you suggesting that these little guys aren't cute? Because I find them adorable, so long as they aren't trying to kill me. :)

Goblin Squad Member

The point Decius is making is, if the five +1 swords are more useful than a +5 sword, then perhaps the +5 sword is not worth as much as you assume it to be.

Obviously it'll be worth more; the question is, how much more? And will you still be able to make a reasonable profit selling +1 swords?

Goblin Squad Member

Good crowdforging topic. Useful place for input. :)

Goblin Squad Member

Armors in TT don't give any Dex penalties. They do each have a maximum Dexterity bonus added to Armor Class (but the Max DEX only affects the bonus you put into Armor Class). They also have an Armor Check Penalty which applies to specific skills (specifically to any skill based on STR or DEX); if you are not proficient with the armor, this ACP also affects attacks, but it is not a penalty to your attributes.

To reiterate, an armor's Max DEX bonus is the maximum DEX it allows added to your Armor Class, but you still use your full DEX for other things, such as ranged attacks. See here, on the SRD for more information.

Goblin Squad Member

omnipotentseal wrote:
Reading Between the Lines would like invite The Guide Program to our settlement Canis Castrum. We pledge to aid the Guides and their students as they explore the River Kingdoms. Any grass roots initiative that improves the player community should be a success!

Thanks for the invitation of assistance for curious new players.

@Hobs, I think all of your points sounds reasonable. We do need to convey the risks ahead of time if/when the Guide leaves the starter areas with his charge, as not only is it informative (and informing is what the Guides look to do) but it also keeps people from getting hurt feelings if they request to leave the starter area with the Guide and they end up dying.

I think early game threading will likely remove any trouble that a noob would have with losing starter gear, so as long as we teach them how to thread there shouldn't be much issue with someone exploring.

Goblin Squad Member

Game already looks like it can get mighty complicated, and it's only in Alpha! Seems we'll need a guide program later on; good thing it's already in the works. :)

Goblin Squad Member

Giorgo wrote:
Being wrote:
I'd sure miss you KC. Don't go, please.
Being, I don't think he will understand what you are trying to say, you need to express your feelings in a way he understands. :)

Huh, KC sure looked quite different in the early 80's. KC, you had actual hair back then?!

Goblin Squad Member

Kemedo wrote:

And the candy are don't the slly "?" shape ones, they are DOUBLE-HEADED AXE SHAPED!

You can always shout: "I said good day, sir!" While eat them..

Hey, I got that reference! :D

Goblin Squad Member

Excited to see how good the enemy AI will get over time.

Goblin Squad Member

Indeed, surprised there's not more complaints of rigs that just straight up aren't working.

Goblin Squad Member

AvenaOats wrote:
I think for sandbox where you are telling the world how to be, there needs to be an altogether different approach to it's realization to go beyond the lore and further beyond the code and that reassesses the ideas of progression and monetization.

I don't agree with this line of thinking being applied to this particular argument. Saying playing a sandbox allows us to define the lore means that we shouldn't use an established lore, as it's going to be thrashed by whatever product the player base outputs. If we're going to play in Golarion, we need to use the things that make the setting, otherwise we should not call it Golarion.

@Bludd, only Werebears are commonly good; the quote I brought up (from the Bestiary) suggests that good werewolves are possible, but a small minority among werewolves. Basically it's also like saying good goblins or orcs are possible; though there are exceptions, the general rule is that these races are about 99.9% evil, so having half (or more, by the current indicators) of the players of that race be Good means that we are not playing Golarion werewolves/goblins/orcs, we are playing something else entirely.

Goblin Squad Member

Sounds like followers of Ol' One Eye to me. :)

Goblin Squad Member

Thanks for doing this guys, very exciting!

Goblin Squad Member

Direct link to PathfinderWiki's PFO section.

Goblin Squad Member

Pretty please with a cherry on top, have a VOD on youtube or something for the livestream! I'm going to be working tomorrow while you're streaming. D:

Goblin Squad Member

Guurzak wrote:
ESDF master race here, much better access to more keys than WASD. I'm confident remapping is coming.

I used TFGH for a long while when I broke my W key.

Goblin Squad Member

stealthy redhead wrote:
so far the only one to respond in character. Or maybe just rambling. So hard to tell with Dwarvish.

Andius's could've been OOC or IC. Not much a difference there.

Goblin Squad Member

It's what I've been saying for a while now: the PvP is the cooperative play. If bandits are bugging you during gathering or trading, bring some buddies. If you want to claim a PoI for yourselves but all the nearby ones are taken by other settlements, bring some buddies. If you want to experience the intensity of a full-scale battle as part of an epic war, bring a whole lot of buddies. Just because you aren't cooperating with every other person on the server doesn't mean you aren't cooperating.

Goblin Squad Member

I hope to play a merchant (so, likely primarily Commoner skills) who uses both Rogue skills and Wizard tricks to evade his enemies instead of fighting his way through them. Though this seems a little unlikely given my group's current home, so we'll see I suppose.

Goblin Squad Member

Keovar wrote:
As to "class" or "role": changing the name doesn't change the function. "Healer" is a role, but it's one that could be accomplished by a few different classes.

Well, when talking about roles in PfO, healer will not be one of them; cleric is one, however. Just semantics, it's true.

Goblin Squad Member

Andius The Afflicted wrote:
...god of good aligned werewolves...

Hmm, I find it interesting that there is an Empyreal Lord (technically a demigod, by the way) who's worshipped by good-aligned werewolves when their wiki page, found by following the link at your url, lists them as only chaotic evil. However, by going to the SRD page and reading their description, we can see that

SRD wrote:
Of all the various types of lycanthropes, it is the werewolf that is the most widespread and the most feared. Stories of werewolves haunting lonely forest roads, prowling misty moors on the outskirts of rural societies, or dwelling in the shadows of the largest cities are widespread as well. In most societies, werewolves are feared and despised—and with good reason, as the typical werewolf personifies all that is savage and bestial in a lycanthrope. This isn't to say that good-aligned werewolves are unknown, but they're certainly a minority among their kind, and most werewolves are evil murderers who delight in the hunt and the succulent taste of raw meat.

So it does seem like Good-aligned werewolves are possible, just a minority.

Goblin Squad Member

It's a scifi TV series with wicked good writing. Only got one season, but it's very good.

Goblin Squad Member

Do you have specific examples of ideas taken from EVE that are being pushed? I ask because I think it likely that the people who proposed the idea and also most of the people who vote for it don't even know it's a part of EVE. Many people in our (future) player base haven't played EVE.

Goblin Squad Member

<Taverhold>Malrunwa Soves wrote:
Dream Seeker, Malrunwa Soves, will answer that call!

Might want to change the tag to Tavernhold, if you still can. ;)

Goblin Squad Member

Giorgo wrote:

I'm in. Month 1, Week 1, EST, 3rd company slot reserved, bilingual(English/Spanish). :)

I like red-headed small humanoids, raiding towers, hiding from bandits, drinking in taverns, chasing kobolds, sharing cookies and long walks in the swamps...

Dwarves are almost small, as a merchant I'll be hiding quite a bit from bandits, dwarves do like to drink, and us LG types do like to share... I think we'll get along just fine. :)

Goblin Squad Member

A suggestion: make the tower icons a little smaller, which will help make the map look a little less busy and cluttered.

Man, it's going to be real interesting seeing what happens with those big clusters of towers in the NW, center, SW, and SE portions of the map; whole lot of settlements close together, which means there isn't much cost to attacking each other's alpha towers.

Goblin Squad Member

Caldeathe Baequiannia wrote:
I'm pretty sure if you got involved in any way before they hit a million dollars, you're in on day one.

In my specific case, I pledged $35 during the Kickstarter, then upgraded later to the EE level for $65 more. I assumed this meant I would be EE month 2, because I didn't get EE during the kickstarter, but afterward.

Goblin Squad Member

Snorter wrote:

That doesn't actually let me go free, does it?

It just means if I die, I stay dead?

You can go free... to the afterlife.

Goblin Squad Member

BrotherZael wrote:
In all seriousness, do I get a discount? Of course, considering what I am paying it would be hard to give me a discount, for what form could that take I wonder? Indeed why should I desire a discount, considering all that has been said? Indeed what would be gained and what would be lost? Where does greed enter the picture, and where bartering? Sympathy, apathy, empathy, contemplation. As always, friends...

I think the dwarven response would be: "Ya do 'ave money to pay me though, right?" ;)

Goblin Squad Member

Caldeathe Baequiannia wrote:
Banazzlefazzlefofrazzle

You rang?

Goblin Squad Member

Another lowly month 2 peasant.

Goblin Squad Member

In a game where character experience is directly tied to how much money you have spent on the game... no perma-death please.

Goblin Squad Member

Kabal362 wrote:
we are the save golarion now now. 0:34 Bluddwolf and nihimon

Wait... Which one's which?

Goblin Squad Member

I like rust monsters and oozes which hurt your equipment. They change the dynamics of win/loss conditions in an interesting way. Obviously winning against such an enemy should hurt your equipment less than losing against them and taking damage to your threaded items. I think they won't be as bad in a game where gear is expendable; maybe you just bring a backup crappy T1 weapon to deal with oozes and rust monsters (it's what I did in DDO).

And of course they can give some useful crafting reagents too.

Goblin Squad Member

In the OP Ryan suggests that they could upgrade to include such account-verifying features, but they have not yet because they're just testing the medium now.

Ryan Dancey wrote:
Currently we are not paying for the "single sign-on" capability of Ideascale. So you will need to create a new account on Ideascale to participate. There will be no linkage between your Ideascale account and paizo.com or goblinworks.com at this time.

So that's good news, if they decide to stick with this.

Goblin Squad Member

Then I am in agreement. :)

Goblin Squad Member

1 person marked this as a favorite.

I'm not sure how to respond. Many people have already spoken in this thread about why you shouldn't fear the game being all random ganks and PvP focus; if you read all that I don't have anything to add.

Goblin Squad Member

Could you be more specific? Are you saying being more limiting for who gets to vote would defeat the spirit of crowdforging, or vote-spamming defeats the spirit of crowdforging?

It seems to me like if the point of upvoting or downvoting an idea is to give it a prominent spot and show that the community really likes/dislikes a specific idea, it should actually show the community's opinion. If one guy creates 200 accounts to skew votes than it no longer represents the opinion of the community.

I focus on the up/downvote thing because IMO that seems the only major difference between this forum and that site: this prioritizes ideas by most recent post, that prioritizes ideas by a vote system.

Goblin Squad Member

If some similar system is deployed in earnest, I'd like to see robust measures to prevent creating multiple accounts for voting, similar to the LR2's measures. It seems like this site would be trivial to create any number of accounts on to spam voting in order to get their ideas to the top (though admittedly I didn't try yet to test it).

Goblin Squad Member

Kobold Cleaver wrote:
Proxima Sin wrote:
Lastly, why do we still call them "buildings" when they're already done being built? Can we just change their in-game name to builts?

Honest question—is English not your first language?

I'm asking because "building" is a very commonly-used noun referring to a structure, not just to the process of creating said structure.

Just a bit of Proxima-style stand-up. :)

Goblin Squad Member

I should have been more specific; I was disagreeing with the parts where you said the boards are reinforcing fears of the game being only about PvP. I personally think that it does not, unless you are specifically looking at the PvP-focused threads and ignoring the others.

Goblin Squad Member

Zodd Zerker wrote:
Ryan, the thumbnail of you on that site doesn't have a beard. I feel like the beard demands more respect...

He looks so smug. :P

Goblin Squad Member

Caldeathe Baequiannia wrote:
Some of the people here have an idea of how the world is going to look when it goes live. A lot of us really don't. But the constant barrage of recruiters looking for assassins and bandits to flesh out their ranks paints a picture of a world that starts to make some of us feel sick to our stomachs.
Caldeathe Baequiannia wrote:
Some people are afraid that every time they step outside (whether to visit another town, or to harvest, or to seek out a little PvE) they will be subjected to banditry and violence. That fear is being reinforced with every passing minute on these boards.

Sorry that I'm on the opposite side of the argument from you so often recently, but I disagree. Of the recruiting groups most do not have PvP as their main focus; of the non-recruit threads there are a significant number of threads discussing PvP, but there are plenty of threads not doing so. Don't let a noisy minority seem like the whole boards are focused on bringing others down; I suspect more are concerned with keeping a comfortable medium than taking over as much as possible, and most groups would rather resort to diplomacy than "Gorumite negotiations". :)

Goblin Squad Member

Steelwing wrote:

A note of caution...take it whichever way you will

While there are many skills that can transfer across from the military leadership wise there are also skills that work well in the military but are counter productive in a game like this and can end up causing more problems than they solve. Sorting out which is which will stand you in good stead

Heeey, my good buddy Steelwing! Haven't seen you in a while. :)

Goblin Squad Member

Drakhan Valane wrote:
Bard bard bard bard bard, ad infinitum. Also monks are way more animation intensive. Bards don't need much for sound and animation; look at how Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights handled bardic music.

Exactly. Just swaying a little bit with an instrument in hand, some plinky little tune plays for a few seconds, and music notes pop up over the heads of everyone buffed.

Goblin Squad Member

2 people marked this as a favorite.

In my opinion, you can convey on the screen that it is dark without making it physically difficult to see. And the only real effects darkness should have would be debuffs or effects on your character, not effects on the player. This is both because of the previously mentioned possibility of cheating to remove darkness, as well as the fact that a player's ability to see shadowy figures should not affect a character's ability to do the same.

Goblin Squad Member

And as some random schmuck who hopes to learn a lot about PfO economics and pass that knowledge on to others, I support it too. :D

1 to 50 of 223 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>