So I recently read a discussion between a GM and the players about the speed of the game and how things were moving slower than usual due to life, etc...
I realize that's a common challenge in this pbp community and so I got to thinking about ways to overcome that particular challenge. Specifically, having a game move slowly because the GM is busy. I got a hint of an idea about having a Dual-GM'd game. This format could help or even eliminate some time-related problems some pbp's face.
However I realize this Dual-GM format could create a host of entirely new problems, and I'm interested in your thoughts on the subject. Hundreds if not thousands of GMs and players hit this board regularly, and I'm trying to tap into your vast experience, intelligence and common sense.
- Dual-GM Format Challenges
- Required some moderate/heavy discussion and planning between two people, not just one person managing his/her own schedule.
- Differing ideas and goals for the campaign, either overarching or encounter to encounter
- Two different GM 'voices' as each GM puts his/her own personal touch and flair into every post and every encounter. Possibly creating confusion and/or discordance with the players and flow of the game.
- **Any other challenges you all could see occurring here?**
- Dual-GM Format Positives
- More GM 'availability' throughout the course of the game, daily, weekly, etc...
- Potential for more (double) creativity and quality as each GM has more time (and energy) to put into each post.
- Slower 'wear and tear' on each GM as they can sometimes take a backseat as the other GM handles a particular encounter or life creates some time challenges for a short or long period of time.
- Fewer 'dead' games as if one GM wants to/has to disappear for long enough a regular game would perish, the other GM can step in and carry the torch solo (or find a replacement for the missing GM).
- **Other positives you all can think of with this format?**
I'm eager to hear your thoughts and ideas, either for or against. I could see a game run in this format either going very well or very bad. Also I'm sure much would depend on the the GM's involved, some might thrive in this format while others it would chafe.
Ultimately, if this is viewed in a positive light I'd like to implement this and start a game. So I suppose you should specify, along with any input, whether you'd be interested in participating as one of the two GMs.
Thanks for the read!
(I couldn't figure out a better place to put this post. It's specific to PbP gaming and exposure to the community here of actual GMs and Gamers alike made this the best place in my mind.)