#5-02: The Wardstone Patrol [Tier 3-7] - GM Rutseg

Game Master Balacertar

Current map


1 to 50 of 393 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | next > last >>

Iron Gods: Iron maps;

Mendev’s Pathfinder lodge in the capital city of Nerosyan is housed within Starrise Spire, a defensive tower in the outer wall whose pinnacle glows with celestial light that shines out like a beacon, simultaneously giving comfort to Nerosyan’s defenders and acting as a warning to any who might wish the city harm.

Venture-Captain Jorsal of Lauterbury calls a short meeting on a covered balcony overlooking the city. A middle-aged Mwangi man with greying hair, he closes the door to the spire’s interior and takes a seat in one of the set-up camp chairs, gesturing for his guests to do the same.

We Pathfinders of Mendev,” he states, making a sweeping hand gesture that encompasses everyone present, “have our own agendas, but these must sometimes give way to the greater need: the protection of this land and its people from the horrors that dwell in the Worldwound."

We are here by the grace of her majesty, Queen Galfrey of Mendev. Without her support, we would surely be run out of town by Hulrun’s more fervent followers. Our agreement with her states that all Pathfinders are required to volunteer some of their time in the defense of the realm. As relative newcomers, I’ve recommended you to take part in a minor military mission under the command of a veteran crusader named Sir Ilivan of Erages. Although he is not a Pathfinder, you would be wise to follow his advice, as he has been fighting the Abyssal spawn longer than some of you have been alive. I expect you will give him the respect he deserves.

Venture-Captain Jorsal stands and opens the heavy wooden door leading back into the lodge, revealing a tall half-elven man clad in heavy plate armor, wearing a red tabard typical of the Mendevian Crusaders, and carrying a cavalry helmet in his left hand. He gives a professional nod to Jorsal before striding to the front of the group, surveying everyone with poorly disguised disappointment.

Pathfinders,” he barks in quick staccato without further preamble, “our mission is simple. The recent attacks on the wardstones have compromised our defenses, and the enemy presses its advantage. We have received word of attacks on Fort Portolmaeus to the north, but the crusader leadership suspects that other parts of the line may have been breached as well. We will proceed to Fort Portolmaeus tomorrow morning on horseback to assess the damage, using the passphrase ‘That the Black Prince might be redeemed’ to permit us entry. On the way there, we will scout for enemy movements and other signs of demon activity. Once we have completed our assessment, we are to return to Nerosyan and you will be relieved of your obligations to the Crown. Do you have any questions?

Kowledge (History, Local, or Religion) DC 10:

The Mendevian Crusades began almost a century ago when a rift to the Abyss opened in the barbarian kingdom of Sarkoris. The church of the goddess Iomedae called the First Crusade, and it was largely a success.

DC 15

Spoiler:
The wardstones are magical menhirs of tremendous power first built during the Second Crusade. They project a powerful field capable of destroying all but the most powerful demons. Built near the banks of the West Sellen and Moutray Rivers, they stopped the expansion of the Worldwound until very recently.

DC 20

Spoiler:
The wardstones recently failed, coinciding with a large attack on Nerosyan. No doubt the demons are at least indirectly responsible.

DC 25

Spoiler:
Even though the demons of the Worldwound have no central leadership, their most powerful current warlords are the balor Khorramzadeh of Iz, also known as the Storm King, and the marilith Aponavicius, who controls the former crusader city of Drezen far to the north.

Diplomacy (Gather Information) or Knowledge (Local or Nobility) DC 10:

The half-elven soldier was a smuggler on Lake Encarthan before joining the Mendevian Crusades, a fact he is not ashamed to admit.

DC 15

Spoiler:
Sir Ilivan rose from the ranks of the enlisted to become an officer and was knighted by Queen Galfrey.

DC 20

Spoiler:
The knight hails from the half-elven settlement of Erages in Kyonin, where he had to endure prejudice and segregation throughout his youth. He later joined Kyonin’s military, but ultimately left his homeland after being discharged from this military for striking an elven officer.

DC 25

Spoiler:
Sir Ilivan has become increasingly distant in the past few years due to the horrors endured by all soldiers who fight in the Mendevian Crusades. His most devastating experience involved killing a number of fellow soldiers while he was demonically possessed.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
NG male halfling UC rogue 4|HP 33:35|AC:19, T:16, FF:14|CMD16|Fort+5, ref+10, Will+3(+2)|Init +6|Perc+9,+11 traps|20' Speed|conditions: none|temp items: holy water, p. of cure mod wounds, p of shield of faith halfling Rogue (unchained)/4

"Just got here and already we plunge into the breach." This slips out of the halflings mouth as the orders stop in a barely audible exhale. The halfling, arms folded leans back as he sits still and listening.
knowledge local: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20
"I am a little unclear on our mission task, 'assess the damage'. Are we just to find out what is going on at the fort or are we to assess with force?" "Just looking or are we battling? We are not knights and paladins you know. Though those are noble professions."

Tanbu leans forward to look at the speaker as he answers.

Sovereign Court

Male Elf Rogue (Unchained) (Scout) 4 HP:7/26; AC 18 T14 FF 14; Fort: 1 Reflex +8 Will +1; Initiative +4 Perception+9, Active Effects: NONE

The tall, well-dressed elf leans against the balcony, taking in what's been relayed. Seems to be understandable in all, Sir Ilivan, you'll be our local guide and help us understand who's who when we're talking to Crusaders? Don't want to stick our feet in our collective mouths.

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (2) + 13 = 15

You know your way around the law some, if I'm not mistaken- an extra set of eyes with that mindset may help us ferret out infiltrators and less than obvious breaches in the defenses. It will be appreciated I'm sure. To echo Tanbu's question, we're observing and reporting back, not assaulting headlong? Andrelis asks.

Sovereign Court

Lady Alya De-Qill Investigator - Psychic Detective [L4] [LN] HP 23/23|AC17/21,T13/17,FF14/18|F +1*/R+7/W+5|CMB +3, CMD 15|Init+3|Per+10| SM +8/+8* | Ins6/6 day | LLV 120' |

She was in the The Diamond of the North, Family business had taken her there. One of their suppers of fine pelts had upped and vanished. She had found the body three days after getting there and a guilty younger brother who wanted the family business. A new contract had been made once he had presented evidence of his deed. A job well done, and now she was on her own time. Checking in with the pathfinders she was offered a nice simple job and a note from Jorsal of Lauterbury. Be here at this time, we need your skills. Simple and to the point she liked that.

Lady Alya was in the room as the others came, Sipping a cup of tea, and watching each of them In turn.

A tall slim noble-looking elf, blond and blue-eyed, her clothing is a well-made uniform, black with gold trimmings. Jacket, pants, Shirt, boots. One of which held a fine Dagger, a match for the long fine blade on her hip.

Kowledge Local, DC 10 Take 11+10+4 = 25

Diplomacy (Gather Information) or Knowledge (Local) DC 10 Take 11+10+4 = 25

She said nothing for now, but waited as the others talked.


Iron Gods: Iron maps;
Tanbu Yull wrote:

"I am a little unclear on our mission task, 'assess the damage'. Are we just to find out what is going on at the fort or are we to assess with force?" "Just looking or are we battling? We are not knights and paladins you know. Though those are noble professions."

"We know you are not a fully fledged company of soldiers. But in the Worldwound we cannot reject any hand, for small and inexperienced it might be." Sir Ilivan looks down at Tanbu but his tone is neuter and respectable "It is indeed a simple mission of reconnaissance to find out the current status, Pathfinder. If there is anything simple in the Worldwound. A good mission for a new group like yours."

Andrelis Lethian wrote:
You know your way around the law some, if I'm not mistaken- an extra set of eyes with that mindset may help us ferret out infiltrators and less than obvious breaches in the defenses. It will be appreciated I'm sure. To echo Tanbu's question, we're observing and reporting back, not assaulting headlong? Andrelis asks.

Sir Ilivan seems to quickly catch Andrelis note, despite his stern expression, you glimpse in his eyes a shimmering of recognition "In fact I count such kind of abilities are going to serve us good at some point or another in this scouting mission."


Iron Gods: Iron maps;
Lady Alya De Qill wrote:

Kowledge Local, DC 10 Take 11+10+4 = 25

Diplomacy (Gather Information) or Knowledge (Local) DC 10 Take 11+10+4 = 25

I am fine with take 10 mechanics Alya, but please be consistent about it :)

If you prefer not to roll your checks, then if you later try to roll because the spoiler is tagged with a DC you cannot make with a take 10, I will not accept your roll result and you will have to go with the consequences of a take 10 result (unless it is a type of check that accepts try again without consequences).

Sovereign Court

Lady Alya De-Qill Investigator - Psychic Detective [L4] [LN] HP 23/23|AC17/21,T13/17,FF14/18|F +1*/R+7/W+5|CMB +3, CMD 15|Init+3|Per+10| SM +8/+8* | Ins6/6 day | LLV 120' |
GM Rutseg wrote:
If you prefer not to roll your checks,

Sounds more complicated than needed, I will stick to rolling

Knowledge Local, DC10 1d20 + 1d6 + 11 ⇒ (5) + (5) + 11 = 21
Knowledge Local, DC10 1d20 + 1d6 + 11 ⇒ (10) + (3) + 11 = 24
Taking these results

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
NG male halfling UC rogue 4|HP 33:35|AC:19, T:16, FF:14|CMD16|Fort+5, ref+10, Will+3(+2)|Init +6|Perc+9,+11 traps|20' Speed|conditions: none|temp items: holy water, p. of cure mod wounds, p of shield of faith halfling Rogue (unchained)/4

"There was mention of horses, are you all providing military issue or do we need to purchase one ourselves? Plus, I have little or no experience with demons, what handy equipment or weapon would you recommend? Special material weapons? What can you tell us about what to expect? What sort of demons could be in the area? Anything else we need to know to prepare ourselves properly?
Tanbu again leans forward and gives the speaker his attention.
"I have heard some news about wardstones failing and attacks too coincidentally timed. Is there any connection to this Fort we are checking on? Has something happened or do you suspect some connect?"
Tanbu really does not expect too detailed an answer, he just wants to know if there is a deeper concern. sense motive: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23

The Concordance

Vine Leshy Shaman 7 | Init +2 | HP=59 | AC=17/13/15 | CMD=13 |Fort=5, Ref=4, Will=13| Perception +5 (low-light, Darkvision) ---- Spirit Animal: Sage Pseudodragon => HP=29 | AC=20/14/18 | Fort=3, Ref=4, Will=7 | Perception +16 ( Blindsense 60 , Darkvision 60, Low-light) -----

For an awaken bush from distant green Castrovel all the Mendevian fortifications looks odd, charming and dangerous. Although Greet hurries up to a meeting - they contemplated too long to be at right time.

That's why first a small flying creature rushing forward landing somewhere behind Jorsal and delivering a message his master and friend soon be here.

Actual vine leshy covered with darkleaf cloth appears soon, saying.
- We are Greet. And Skyrocket. Greet says greetings. We listen and think. Horrors should know fear of goodness!
Sounds like leshy not in a hurry to talk. But his cracking voice brings relief.

Religion: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (17) + 13 = 30

The leshy starts to remember, couple flowers upon his body slowly opens ove couple minutes. He Greet decides to ask folks politely, suggesting to try few sweetest berries, what they can tell. Likely naive and irresistible

Diplomacy to gather info: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (4) + 14 = 18


Iron Gods: Iron maps;

"The Mendevian Crussade will provide you with a mount appropriate to your height, as well as food and drink for the journey" Sir Ilivan answers Tanbu, his tone that one of the like used to just be obeyed, the halfling notices the man gets more bothered with each new question "Boy, this is the Worldwound, I hope you made your homework and searched what this place is and what to find before you decided to come"

The crusader sighs looking down at your weapons "We are just in a reconnaissance mission, so if you spot an army of demons, you better make your best to avoid detection and find a way to give word of their position. But in any case, you would do good to acquire a cold iron weapon if you want to be able to defend from those damned monsters of the Abyss. I have seen enough novices slaughtered because they insisted to use instead their favorite shiny blade. Get at least a dagger and some arrows, they are inexpensive and as harmful to them as a big blade of the black cold metal."

"Other than that, you would do well to get a cold weather outfit. We are far north, and it drops below freezing at night in this part of Avistan." the man looks around "You said you had six Pathfinders for this mission Captain Jorsal of Lauterbury, where are the other two?"

The Venture-Captain tries to remain cold headed "You can start preparing, I will send them to you when they are available."

With that you are free to follow Sir Ilivan to the stables, you all will be assigned a light, non-combat trained horse or pony, a saddle, bit and bridle, and saddlebags filled with two days of feed.

If you prefer a combat trained mount, there are a few you can buy here.

You have some free time to buy more gear from the crusaders and ask questions around before you depart.

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Elf Rogue (Unchained) (Scout) 4 HP:7/26; AC 18 T14 FF 14; Fort: 1 Reflex +8 Will +1; Initiative +4 Perception+9, Active Effects: NONE

Andrelis will pick up a cold-weather outfit for the expedition, From the deserts to here... Can't be assigned to deal with something in a nice temperate climate, preferably in a city with decent wine? Maybe a beach?

Sovereign Court

Lady Alya De-Qill Investigator - Psychic Detective [L4] [LN] HP 23/23|AC17/21,T13/17,FF14/18|F +1*/R+7/W+5|CMB +3, CMD 15|Init+3|Per+10| SM +8/+8* | Ins6/6 day | LLV 120' |

As he looks about at their weapons, she places a hand on her fine MW cold iron blade. When he has done speaking she stands, picking up her cold weather cloak and Fine Havasack.

"Well we have our orders, Thank you, gentlemen, as always a pleaser"

Then turning to the other three,

"Andrelis, and my fine fellows if you don't have any other questions, we should go and leave introductions on the way to the Mendevian Crusade compound. Shall we?"

She indicates the door. From her manners and her looks it's obvious she is of Noble stock. But working as a pathfinder means she is either stupid rich, and doing this kind of work for a Jolly, or she is a lesser Noble and does this work because she has too. Her clothing is fine but not that fine, so it's more likely the latter. She heads out of the room. When the others join her she nods at them.

At Andrelis comment,

"Agreed Andrelis, Should we introduce ourselves to our new companions."

"The name is Lady Alya De-Qill of the Evlen trading family De-Qill. And before you ask, I'm a lesser member, hence"

She indicates herself and her outfit.

"You don't have to use Lady, Alya is just fine, and for a trade, I'm an Investigator"

She hands each of all but Andrelis a small rectangular card. On each is her name and her occupation. On the back are her rates for employment. You may note, she charges 1/2 price for finding lost cats and children.

The Concordance

Vine Leshy Shaman 7 | Init +2 | HP=59 | AC=17/13/15 | CMD=13 |Fort=5, Ref=4, Will=13| Perception +5 (low-light, Darkvision) ---- Spirit Animal: Sage Pseudodragon => HP=29 | AC=20/14/18 | Fort=3, Ref=4, Will=7 | Perception +16 ( Blindsense 60 , Darkvision 60, Low-light) -----

- Sir Illivan says long and hard words. But sir has also long history full of controversial experience. Mission is clear, but demons are so... unpredictable. Wardstone better to work am protect than not.

Greet slowly reacts and speaks. It seems like he full of emotions towards the Knight, but not know how to show them yet.

Sovereign Court

Lady Alya De-Qill Investigator - Psychic Detective [L4] [LN] HP 23/23|AC17/21,T13/17,FF14/18|F +1*/R+7/W+5|CMB +3, CMD 15|Init+3|Per+10| SM +8/+8* | Ins6/6 day | LLV 120' |

Kn Local 1d20 + 1d6 + 11 ⇒ (16) + (2) + 11 = 29

She knew Andrelis by reputation and the descriptions she had been given, he was a well-known Archaeological Expert working for the Pathfinders for years.

The Vine leshys she had no idea about, she had met others over the years. But this one was new for her.

Lastly, the halfling, could be a song slinger but no, and he did not have the trappings of a spell slinger or witch. Well-made swords, could a shadow blade. We shall see.

The other two where yet to come, but so far the team seemed to have the skills for a Scouting job.

Grand Lodge

NG male halfling UC rogue 4|HP 33:35|AC:19, T:16, FF:14|CMD16|Fort+5, ref+10, Will+3(+2)|Init +6|Perc+9,+11 traps|20' Speed|conditions: none|temp items: holy water, p. of cure mod wounds, p of shield of faith halfling Rogue (unchained)/4

"Tanbu Yull, I am pleased to meet you all. No real profession really. I can make achemical stuff, but I have to borrow the equipment. I am decent with short blades and a short bow. I can move quietly and hiding come naturally. I will help how ever I can. Scouting mission stuff is right up my alley."

Tanbu will pick up two cold iron short swords, a potion of barkskin, a potion of invisibility, oil of magic weapon, a cold weather outfit, antitoxin, and antiplague. Total cost: 798g

At the stables, Tanbu, picks out a sturdy looking male pony, pulling out a sugar cube and feeding it to his pony. "What's his name."

Sovereign Court

Lady Alya De-Qill Investigator - Psychic Detective [L4] [LN] HP 23/23|AC17/21,T13/17,FF14/18|F +1*/R+7/W+5|CMB +3, CMD 15|Init+3|Per+10| SM +8/+8* | Ins6/6 day | LLV 120' |

As the walk and shop while waiting for the others.

"Master Lethian I read one of your introduction to the Jistkan ruins. A most fascinating book. Will you be writing more on the subject in greater detail or have you already and I have not come across the work?

Then as they get to the main market she says to them all.

"I have arranged for us to say at one of my Houses, trading outposts in the city, rooms are simply made for our merchants. Have no fear I will cover the costs. Unless you wish to say some other place"

To Tanbu

"Tanbu Yull nice to meet you and alchemical skills are always useful. Tanbu. I too use the bow and in the open where we will be going I suspect we will need that as well."

At the stables, she gets out her own mount. A fine riding horse. She grooms it and saddles it herself. Not wanting the stable hands too.

"Vine May I ask after your name? and are you happy to ride?"

Sovereign Court

Male Elf Rogue (Unchained) (Scout) 4 HP:7/26; AC 18 T14 FF 14; Fort: 1 Reflex +8 Will +1; Initiative +4 Perception+9, Active Effects: NONE

Andrelis laughs, I think I'm going to leave archeology to the experts from now on. I'm much happier talking to people than digging up artifacts, but if the Society needs me to, I will obviously. But I'm giving writing a break for the time - I have enough coin to support myself as I see fit, and be able to live how I wish. he bows to Alya and the rest.

The Concordance

Vine Leshy Shaman 7 | Init +2 | HP=59 | AC=17/13/15 | CMD=13 |Fort=5, Ref=4, Will=13| Perception +5 (low-light, Darkvision) ---- Spirit Animal: Sage Pseudodragon => HP=29 | AC=20/14/18 | Fort=3, Ref=4, Will=7 | Perception +16 ( Blindsense 60 , Darkvision 60, Low-light) -----

Conception of riding horse seems confusing to the leshy so Greet spends several minutes not knowing what to do, when team got to stables.

- Skyrocket knows difficult things, including how to fly. Skyrocket is a mini-dragon. She is shy. Vine leshy is me, named Greet. Because my creator was a shooter. Can you take me with you, Alya? I am Greet! Greet not a horse rider.

Sounds like the leshy tries to bring thankful or requesting emotion...
Meanwhile pseudodragon disappears from view, though Greet expects some aid from humanoid teammates.

His limbs getting longer to grasp horse harness. Finally Greet finds a place in one of saddlebags.

- Greet not sure how to use gold, have much. we may possess buy-able if fleshlings wish.

Sovereign Court

Lady Alya De-Qill Investigator - Psychic Detective [L4] [LN] HP 23/23|AC17/21,T13/17,FF14/18|F +1*/R+7/W+5|CMB +3, CMD 15|Init+3|Per+10| SM +8/+8* | Ins6/6 day | LLV 120' |

Linguistics 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23

"Vine leshy Greet good to meet, mount behind me you shall ride, give me a short while. Moments you need give me."

she went to see the stable owners and soon her fine riding mount was taken away and a much larger mount came back, her fine Saddle replaced with one more suited for war. But her saddlebags were there. She also had with her a Large Dog.

"This is Jax, he is a dog trained for looking after our Merchant wagon trains. He is not a pet, so please try not to pet him."

Sapping her fingers the large black dog went to her side.
She patted the back of her new larger mount.

"This is one of our Merchant wagon guards mounts, 'Bella' who is on lone to me so that Greet can ride with me, here Greet rides."

She said to Greet tapping the back of the larger saddle.

Sovereign Court

Male Elf Rogue (Unchained) (Scout) 4 HP:7/26; AC 18 T14 FF 14; Fort: 1 Reflex +8 Will +1; Initiative +4 Perception+9, Active Effects: NONE

Andrelis fishes out a strange necklace made of vines and pumpkin seeds, seemingly out of place on the otherwise manicured and pressed elf's clothing. Greet, I am Andrelis. I bear this token from one of your people in far away lands. Her name is Feather Seed, and I have long counted the Leshy people a friend in my travels - I am honored to have you with us! he smiles.


Iron Gods: Iron maps;

With the horses mounted and Greet accommodated with Alya, the group finally departs the city of Nerosyan.

The patrol takes you along the River Road, a normally well-used thoroughfare that follows the eastern bank of the West Sellen River. It remains within sight of the river throughout most of the journey to Fort Portolmaeus.

Sir Ilivan mounts quietly, just hearing what you have to say, but after a few hours of riding, he points past a low hill "There is the abandoned village of Bedis. Bedis was a small Mendevian fishing and farming village along the eastern bank of the West Sellen River, until the increase in demon attacks forced its inhabitants to relocate 40 years ago. The village has since been used as a rest stop where riders let their horses nibble on the apples and pears still found in its long-abandoned fruit orchards."

He turns off of the River Road onto a small, overgrown path that cuts through drooping evergreens "We should check ahead, for the enemy has used it as a staging ground in the past."

Grand Lodge

Male CN Dwarf Oracle 7 | HP 51/59 | AC 21 (T13 FF19) (uncanny dodge, +4 vs giants) | CMB +7, CMD 17 (21 vs BR & Trip)| F: +7, R: +6, W: +8 (Add+2 vs poison/madness/confusion & +4 vs spells) | Init: +4 | Perc: +5, SM: +7 | Speed 20ft | Special Abilities: Shirt Reroll 1/1; Omen 1/1; Blood Scarab 1/1; Horacalcum Boon 1/1 | Spells: Level 1 [6/7], Level 2 [5/7], Level [4/4] | Active conditions: 1 Dex damage,"12", Weapon of Awe

A figure emerges from the overgrown path, smelling worse than a dretch and greasier than an omox. The dwarf's clothes are rancid, his beard is filthy, and the mining pick he holds in his hands is covered with dried . . . something. Seeing you, spittle flecks his beard as he begins to shout "It's about time you showed up! Damnation! You have come to damnation! The world will end in fire and flame, but we shall be torn apart by claws and teeth in grisly glory! Follow me!" The dwarf promptly turns around and heads back along the path, though his slow pace on foot means he's easy to catch up to.

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Lady Alya De-Qill Investigator - Psychic Detective [L4] [LN] HP 23/23|AC17/21,T13/17,FF14/18|F +1*/R+7/W+5|CMB +3, CMD 15|Init+3|Per+10| SM +8/+8* | Ins6/6 day | LLV 120' |

Took out a cloth and covered her lower face when the mad dwarf showed up.

"That is Makras Vekker, 'The mad Dwarf prophet' or words to that effect. He hangs around here a lot, so they say. Always happy to tell anyone he comes across, that the end of days is close. Another doomsayer, but he knows his way around."

She says to the other.

"Best follow his pungent smell"

And she g's her mount to follow.

Grand Lodge

Female Gnome Oracle(Nature)/5 N/N | C-HP: 47/47| M-HP: 43/43 | AC/FF/Tch: C-24/19/18 22/17/16 M-24/21/15 20/17/13 | CMB: +1, CMD: 16 | F/R/W: +4/+1/+4 | Init: +7 | Speed 15/35/50 ft | Diplomacy +6, Intimidate +9, Kn Nature +5, Kn Religion +5, Perception +5, Ride +6, Sense Motive +4, Spellcraft +5, Survival +4 | Active Conditions: None

kn religion: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 20
diplomacy: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22

Quiet up to this point, intimidated by the prospect of venturing into the inhospitable and unnatural environs of the Worldwound, the gnome finally comes out of her fugue.

Cyclic is an odd looking gal, even for a gnome. She is in varying stages of growth and decay. Parts of her form look wasted or diseased, while others look like freshly grown baby's skin. She wears a breastplate and carries a shortspear. Accompanying her is a mangy wolf with a nasty disposition that growls at anyone who gets near. Cyclic is currently mounted upon this unfortunate animal, who snaps at his harness repeatedly during the travels.

"Well, there's a cheerful fellow."

Mange looks at her pathetically, and Cyclic responds, "Not you, Mange, the dwarf over there. Though you do not seem particularly happy either. I'll make it up to you later. You know I don't trust a horse or a dog like I trust you."

When they get within sight of the town, Cyclic will use her wand to cast Ant Haul on Mange.

Grand Lodge

NG male halfling UC rogue 4|HP 33:35|AC:19, T:16, FF:14|CMD16|Fort+5, ref+10, Will+3(+2)|Init +6|Perc+9,+11 traps|20' Speed|conditions: none|temp items: holy water, p. of cure mod wounds, p of shield of faith halfling Rogue (unchained)/4

Tanbu looks confused. "Sir Ilivan went on down the path, now this dwarf wants us to follow him back the way we came?" "I think we should follow the patrol leader, Sir Ilivan." "The mad dwarf, Makras Vek ..., whatever you call him is going the wrong way."
Hope I am not reading all this wrong, sounds like Makras is going the opposite direction of Sir Ilivan???
Tanbu rides with obvious unfamiliarity. Tanbu does however seem agile enough to get the basics accomplished.
"Does he know a short cut or something?"

Still flustered by the confusion situation, Tanbu asks the wolf owner, "Do you ride this animal always? You call it Mange? Can I pet the fellow? It is magnificant!"

Grand Lodge

Female Gnome Oracle(Nature)/5 N/N | C-HP: 47/47| M-HP: 43/43 | AC/FF/Tch: C-24/19/18 22/17/16 M-24/21/15 20/17/13 | CMB: +1, CMD: 16 | F/R/W: +4/+1/+4 | Init: +7 | Speed 15/35/50 ft | Diplomacy +6, Intimidate +9, Kn Nature +5, Kn Religion +5, Perception +5, Ride +6, Sense Motive +4, Spellcraft +5, Survival +4 | Active Conditions: None

Mange seems to understand the Halfling and gives him a wicked growl, whether it is because he understands speech or recognizes the body language is not known.

"Now there's a challenge. To get Mange to let you pet him without getting bit. I would not advise it, but I'll not stand in the way."

Which only provokes a more serious growl as the hackles (partially missing) rise up on his back.

Cyclic scratches her head, too, at anyone calling Mange magnificent. I mean, yea, he is dangerous, and wiry, and tough. But magnificent? To her recollection nobody had ever called him magnificent.

Grand Lodge

Male CN Dwarf Oracle 7 | HP 51/59 | AC 21 (T13 FF19) (uncanny dodge, +4 vs giants) | CMB +7, CMD 17 (21 vs BR & Trip)| F: +7, R: +6, W: +8 (Add+2 vs poison/madness/confusion & +4 vs spells) | Init: +4 | Perc: +5, SM: +7 | Speed 20ft | Special Abilities: Shirt Reroll 1/1; Omen 1/1; Blood Scarab 1/1; Horacalcum Boon 1/1 | Spells: Level 1 [6/7], Level 2 [5/7], Level [4/4] | Active conditions: 1 Dex damage,"12", Weapon of Awe

@Tanbu/Cyclic: Lady Alya has the right of it--the idea was that this stranger suddenly emerged from the overgrown path ahead of you, berated you for taking so long to get here, and then started heading down it (the way you were going anyway).

Grand Lodge

Female Gnome Oracle(Nature)/5 N/N | C-HP: 47/47| M-HP: 43/43 | AC/FF/Tch: C-24/19/18 22/17/16 M-24/21/15 20/17/13 | CMB: +1, CMD: 16 | F/R/W: +4/+1/+4 | Init: +7 | Speed 15/35/50 ft | Diplomacy +6, Intimidate +9, Kn Nature +5, Kn Religion +5, Perception +5, Ride +6, Sense Motive +4, Spellcraft +5, Survival +4 | Active Conditions: None
Makras Vekker wrote:
@Tanbu/Cyclic: Lady Alya has the right of it--the idea was that this stranger suddenly emerged from the overgrown path ahead of you, berated you for taking so long to get here, and then started heading down it (the way you were going anyway).

'tis fortunate you commented in time for me to edit my post :)

Sovereign Court

Lady Alya De-Qill Investigator - Psychic Detective [L4] [LN] HP 23/23|AC17/21,T13/17,FF14/18|F +1*/R+7/W+5|CMB +3, CMD 15|Init+3|Per+10| SM +8/+8* | Ins6/6 day | LLV 120' |

"One thing you can trust with Vekker is that if there is a short cut he will know it, but trust me he knows his way around here. Seeing how he lives here under a bush by the looks of it."

Says the elf noble, she seems not as stoic as most elves are.

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Lady Alya De-Qill Investigator - Psychic Detective [L4] [LN] HP 23/23|AC17/21,T13/17,FF14/18|F +1*/R+7/W+5|CMB +3, CMD 15|Init+3|Per+10| SM +8/+8* | Ins6/6 day | LLV 120' |

As they ride she tells the others a joke.

"A Goblin walks into a bar and asks, ‘You got any grapes?’ The bartender angry at such a stupid question says, ‘No, get out of here.’ Then the next day, the same Goblin walks into the same bar and goes, ‘You got any grapes?’ The bartender now fed up with this dumb goblin says, ‘Like I told you before, we don’t have any! Get out. And if you come in here one more time, I’m gonna nail your feet to the floor.’ But the very next day. The Goblin is back but this time asks ‘You got any nails?’ The bartender puzzled says, ‘No.’ "Good" says the Goblin ‘You got any grapes?’”

The Concordance

Vine Leshy Shaman 7 | Init +2 | HP=59 | AC=17/13/15 | CMD=13 |Fort=5, Ref=4, Will=13| Perception +5 (low-light, Darkvision) ---- Spirit Animal: Sage Pseudodragon => HP=29 | AC=20/14/18 | Fort=3, Ref=4, Will=7 | Perception +16 ( Blindsense 60 , Darkvision 60, Low-light) -----

-Jax is a guard dog, not to pet. Should I resist if he pee at me?

Greet not really expecting answer while getting comfortable and use some vines to be a better passanger.

-Andrelis! It is natural for some leshys to share to bond or show... frienship.

When group came closer to river Greet asks if he can drink from it some water or it might be affected be demons or deseases?
Leshy's know how undeads and demons might be triky or otherwise dangerous.

Skyrocket sneackily flies over group in circles and curiously observing surrounding, being eyes in the sky.

Skyrocket is a Sage familiar - Pseudodragon, also Spirit animal and having now additional mutation. Has wide range of skills and tricks. I should change connected charsheet...

--

As team starts to follow the mad dwarven prothet - Greet decides to disaprove silently, being not fan of fatalistic and doomed paths...

Leshy waves with a branch to a joining pathfinder, feeling natural connection.
Shaman has an intention to suggest a team communal ritual, but likely this is not proper time yet.


Iron Gods: Iron maps;

Sir Ilivan brings his hand to the sword when the undergrowth moves in front of you "You know this dwarf Lady Alya?"

Relaxing a bit, he nods "Yes. The Venture-Captain told me he will send this one after us. Don't know how he managed to go ahead..."

He dismounts and ties his mare to a tree, motioning for you to do the same "Let's be stealthy. We will do the path by foot so we can have a look at the village from the hill"

The man awaits to see you doing the same before leading you as quietly as possible up to the nearby hill dotted with gnarled apple trees.
Sir Ilivan: Stealth: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 1 = 16

Please describe how you try to be stealthy

Grand Lodge

NG male halfling UC rogue 4|HP 33:35|AC:19, T:16, FF:14|CMD16|Fort+5, ref+10, Will+3(+2)|Init +6|Perc+9,+11 traps|20' Speed|conditions: none|temp items: holy water, p. of cure mod wounds, p of shield of faith halfling Rogue (unchained)/4

"Well, I'll be he was going the right way. I must have gotten turned around by the commotion. I guess I just avoided some 'doom' there." "Maybe that is what he was talking about?"

Tanbu right ways his pony and continues on following the others.

Over his shoulder at Cyclic, "The growl is enough to warn me off trying. I like my hands attached and working."

"I didn't know goblins were fond of grapes. He even risked his life to get them. Now, I have seen goblins fight over a pickle. But grapes not so much. Maybe wine! Wine would be something a goblin might risk alot for. Are you sure he didn't just forget the word for wine and thought grapes were wine by mistake?" Once the noble Lady eyes him suspiciously, he winks at her. "I heard that told with a duck."

Once they get serious and Sir Ilivan calls for quiet, Tanbu goes stealthy.
stealth: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (12) + 15 = 27

Grand Lodge

Female Gnome Oracle(Nature)/5 N/N | C-HP: 47/47| M-HP: 43/43 | AC/FF/Tch: C-24/19/18 22/17/16 M-24/21/15 20/17/13 | CMB: +1, CMD: 16 | F/R/W: +4/+1/+4 | Init: +7 | Speed 15/35/50 ft | Diplomacy +6, Intimidate +9, Kn Nature +5, Kn Religion +5, Perception +5, Ride +6, Sense Motive +4, Spellcraft +5, Survival +4 | Active Conditions: None

Cyclic just hangs back 60 feet and does her best, hoping the distance makes up for lack of talent and excess armor.

stealth, Cyclic, mounted: 1d20 ⇒ 7
stealth, Mange: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17

Grand Lodge

Male CN Dwarf Oracle 7 | HP 51/59 | AC 21 (T13 FF19) (uncanny dodge, +4 vs giants) | CMB +7, CMD 17 (21 vs BR & Trip)| F: +7, R: +6, W: +8 (Add+2 vs poison/madness/confusion & +4 vs spells) | Init: +4 | Perc: +5, SM: +7 | Speed 20ft | Special Abilities: Shirt Reroll 1/1; Omen 1/1; Blood Scarab 1/1; Horacalcum Boon 1/1 | Spells: Level 1 [6/7], Level 2 [5/7], Level [4/4] | Active conditions: 1 Dex damage,"12", Weapon of Awe

Makras snorts at the suggestion to be stealthy and continues trudging steadily along, occasionally swigging a foul-smelling liquid from a large flask and belching what may or may not be a stinking cloud.

Stealth: 1d20 - 3 ⇒ (17) - 3 = 14

Sovereign Court

Male Elf Rogue (Unchained) (Scout) 4 HP:7/26; AC 18 T14 FF 14; Fort: 1 Reflex +8 Will +1; Initiative +4 Perception+9, Active Effects: NONE

Andrelis, while initially concerned at the dwarf's sudden appearance is put to rest by Lady Alya's seeming knowledge of the dwarf, and Sir Ilivan's anticipation of the fragrant arrival. Surprises of this kind I rather prefer than the other. He laughs at her joke and Tanbu's response, [b]Its good seeing everyone getting along. Let's be about this.

He dismounts from his borrowed mount, slipping into the underbrush and ranging ahead, signalling to Tanbu and Sir Ilivan that he'll take the left side as they advance.

Stealth: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (1) + 10 = 11

As he advances, Andrelis will keep his eyes open for an ambush or spotters hidden around the ruins

Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (2) + 9 = 11

The Concordance

Vine Leshy Shaman 7 | Init +2 | HP=59 | AC=17/13/15 | CMD=13 |Fort=5, Ref=4, Will=13| Perception +5 (low-light, Darkvision) ---- Spirit Animal: Sage Pseudodragon => HP=29 | AC=20/14/18 | Fort=3, Ref=4, Will=7 | Perception +16 ( Blindsense 60 , Darkvision 60, Low-light) -----

Before proceeding Greet feels now time to share a spark of solar power.
Leshy gently takes sir Ilivan's finger with a young vine and to the same with Alya.

Then 3 orange and good looking erries growth quickly, within several minutes

-I am Greet. Eat one berry. Bonus one for a volunteer! This will help you to withstand difficulties! Three times today, untill stars visible!
Greet is sure elves like his berries but maybe someone else curious to try the sour taste and its effect...

Boon Reservoir, 3 targets:
Once per day, a benefactor can perform a 10-minute ritual with one of her allies, plus one additional ally for every 3 shaman levels she has. All creatures that participate in the ritual (including the benefactor) gain a boon reservoir with a number of points equal to 1/2 the benefactor’s shaman level (3) for 24 hours. As an immediate action, a creature can spend 1 point from its boon reservoir to gain a +2 insight bonus on all saving throws it attempts until the start of its next turn. Boon reservoir points that are not spent within 24 hours are wasted.

Thereafter shaman plays with sand shortly to provide Pass Without Trace for easier sneaky approach.

Stealth: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13
Stealth Skyrocket: 1d20 + 20 ⇒ (20) + 20 = 40
Perception Skyrocket: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (8) + 16 = 24

And Skyrocket might be exceptionally aware from skies if we exposed or visible.


Iron Gods: Iron maps;

You feel the vegetation opens before your feet obeying Greet's whisppers to let you passage without trace.

Sir Ilivan looks impressed but keeps going up the hill. Just before reaching the top, he motions for you to drop prone and crawl the rest of the way. Once they reach the crest of the hill, taking cover below the orchard trees. From there, you have a vision of the village ruins and the swamped fields before them.

An abandoned village lies at the foot of the hill on the banks of the West Sellen River, its decaying structures slowly melting back into the landscape. Between the hill and the village proper lie flooded fields sectioned off by raised, earthen walkways that converge on a larger, dry area.

These fields were once watered via a system of sluices from a nearby brook, but over time the d#*@s and sluices failed, and the farmland long ago flooded completely. The water varies in depth, from only 2 feet in shallower spots to 10 feet at the deepest.

A group of six Mendevian commoners have assembled on the larger, open dry patch in the middle of the fields. Two lie on the ground in obvious pain, while the rest stand in a circle, holding threshes, spades, pitchforks, and other farming implements. A small heap of bodies—dead by all appearances—lies near them.

Sir Ilivan gestures towards you, making clear signs to stay behind cover and not let you be seen.

Sovereign Court

Lady Alya De-Qill Investigator - Psychic Detective [L4] [LN] HP 23/23|AC17/21,T13/17,FF14/18|F +1*/R+7/W+5|CMB +3, CMD 15|Init+3|Per+10| SM +8/+8* | Ins6/6 day | LLV 120' |

She thanks Greet knowing what they are.
Then as they leave their mounts she instructs her guard dog to guard them. Taking what she needs from her pack she puts come rations down for it. Takes her magic backpack and follows the others.When hiding she quietly takes out her crossbow and loads its

Stealth 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 14
Kn ALL 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (4) + 10 = 14
studying what she sees

Grand Lodge

NG male halfling UC rogue 4|HP 33:35|AC:19, T:16, FF:14|CMD16|Fort+5, ref+10, Will+3(+2)|Init +6|Perc+9,+11 traps|20' Speed|conditions: none|temp items: holy water, p. of cure mod wounds, p of shield of faith halfling Rogue (unchained)/4

Tanbu, crawling up to observe the village, wonders why there are people here. He thinks to himself, 'Why are we not avoiding this trouble and continuing to the fort? Can we not go around this place?'
Tanbu taps Sir Ilivan's shoulder lightly to get his attention. He shrugs and points at the people. He then shows his hands figures walking around his other hand balled like a fist. He ends the hand signal show by shrugging again.

He again observes the people looking at the scene trying to figure out what happened and what is currently going on.

perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (1) + 9 = 10
sense motive: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21

Grand Lodge

Female Gnome Oracle(Nature)/5 N/N | C-HP: 47/47| M-HP: 43/43 | AC/FF/Tch: C-24/19/18 22/17/16 M-24/21/15 20/17/13 | CMB: +1, CMD: 16 | F/R/W: +4/+1/+4 | Init: +7 | Speed 15/35/50 ft | Diplomacy +6, Intimidate +9, Kn Nature +5, Kn Religion +5, Perception +5, Ride +6, Sense Motive +4, Spellcraft +5, Survival +4 | Active Conditions: None

Cyclic dismounts and Mange plops to the ground with a sigh. Edging up to the crest, she observes the tableau below.

"That does not look good. Whatever are they doing down there?"

Sovereign Court

Male Elf Rogue (Unchained) (Scout) 4 HP:7/26; AC 18 T14 FF 14; Fort: 1 Reflex +8 Will +1; Initiative +4 Perception+9, Active Effects: NONE

Andrelis continues to hide in the brush, watching the scene unfold before them silently. His hands nervously stray toward the hilts of his exquisite blades before stilling themselves on his tunic.

Sovereign Court

Lady Alya De-Qill Investigator - Psychic Detective [L4] [LN] HP 23/23|AC17/21,T13/17,FF14/18|F +1*/R+7/W+5|CMB +3, CMD 15|Init+3|Per+10| SM +8/+8* | Ins6/6 day | LLV 120' |

she taps Tandu on his shoulder,

"This may be hard and if you don't want to that's fine but, If I cover you, do you think you can sneak down there for a closer look?"

she swipers to him.

Grand Lodge

NG male halfling UC rogue 4|HP 33:35|AC:19, T:16, FF:14|CMD16|Fort+5, ref+10, Will+3(+2)|Init +6|Perc+9,+11 traps|20' Speed|conditions: none|temp items: holy water, p. of cure mod wounds, p of shield of faith halfling Rogue (unchained)/4

Tanbu frowns and whispers, "Maybe, I have a potion. But why? It's not our task."

Tanbu looks over the terrain between the strange group of villagers and the party's current location. Is there anywhere to hide where he could hear more and perceive better? What kind of check would that be?

Sovereign Court

Lady Alya De-Qill Investigator - Psychic Detective [L4] [LN] HP 23/23|AC17/21,T13/17,FF14/18|F +1*/R+7/W+5|CMB +3, CMD 15|Init+3|Per+10| SM +8/+8* | Ins6/6 day | LLV 120' |

"Because the gods don't play dice, something like this so close to our mission is suspicious in and of itself. If an evil pestilence has come out of the wound, it will spread and the fort would want to know."

She whispers back, turns her head, and smiles at him.

"And aren't you just a little curious as to what is going on"

Winks at him, before putting her crossbow away and heading closer.

Stealth, 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25 If stuck for cother she will cast Vanish +20 for 3 rounds

Turns out she is surprisingly good at snecking as well.


Iron Gods: Iron maps;

Perception-distance-distracted vs party Stealth DC 7: 1d20 + 8 - 10 - 10 ⇒ (11) + 8 - 10 - 10 = -1

The commoners do not seem to notice you spying from the hill. Two of the commoners spur the other two against the fallen ones (the two tilted ones), and they start hitting those fallen in the mud with thresh and pitchfork.

Alya is finishing her spell and disappears when one of the bodies in the heap stands up (purple border) and stumbles towards the group, hitting the fallen commoner with a kick.

"This is non of our business. Let's go back to our mounts." exclaims Sir Ilivan.

Perception DC 28:

These are no mere commoners, three of them (including the one that just stood up) move strangely and have a weird tone of skin, like if they were other creatures in disguise... or the dead bodies were possessed...

K. planes DC 18 (to identify the creatures)

Spoiler:

These is the work of vermleks! Awful demons able to inhabit the bodies of fallen humanoids!

Be aware of their ability to inflict mass wounds and heal their vermlek companions due to their negative energy affinity.

Vermleks form from the souls of those who habitually violated the dead in life, such as grave robbers, necromancers, and necrophiles. Disguised as laborers like gravediggers or dung sweepers, they can revel in their ghoulish, taboo lusts.

Outside of a host body, a vermlek appears as a worm with four long tails, each of which ends in a tangle of filaments. In this form, the demon is 7 feet long and weighs 90 pounds.


The water varies in depth, from only 2 feet in shallower spots to 10 feet at the deepest. The shallower areas are considered difficult terrain for Small and Medium creatures; the deeper parts require successful Swim checks to cross them.

New Ruins of Bedis map is available!

Consider the height were you stand just about 10 feet tall. No extra required check to descend the slope.

Grand Lodge

Male CN Dwarf Oracle 7 | HP 51/59 | AC 21 (T13 FF19) (uncanny dodge, +4 vs giants) | CMB +7, CMD 17 (21 vs BR & Trip)| F: +7, R: +6, W: +8 (Add+2 vs poison/madness/confusion & +4 vs spells) | Init: +4 | Perc: +5, SM: +7 | Speed 20ft | Special Abilities: Shirt Reroll 1/1; Omen 1/1; Blood Scarab 1/1; Horacalcum Boon 1/1 | Spells: Level 1 [6/7], Level 2 [5/7], Level [4/4] | Active conditions: 1 Dex damage,"12", Weapon of Awe

"Look on!" orders Makras. "This is how it ends! A few scattered bands of humans murdering one another while the dead walk and demons stalk! You'll be in their shoes soon enough!"

Sovereign Court

Male Elf Rogue (Unchained) (Scout) 4 HP:7/26; AC 18 T14 FF 14; Fort: 1 Reflex +8 Will +1; Initiative +4 Perception+9, Active Effects: NONE

perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (12) + 9 = 21

Andrelis nods backing slowly away from where the party observes the violence before them.

Grand Lodge

NG male halfling UC rogue 4|HP 33:35|AC:19, T:16, FF:14|CMD16|Fort+5, ref+10, Will+3(+2)|Init +6|Perc+9,+11 traps|20' Speed|conditions: none|temp items: holy water, p. of cure mod wounds, p of shield of faith halfling Rogue (unchained)/4

Tanbu whispers, "Did that pile just spawn a dead body? Is that what just happened? This is evil, but undead are not demons. What is going on?"
perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (15) + 9 = 24
Tanbu can't quite make out what is happening.

At hearing Sir Ilivan's retreat order, "Is this familiar stuff for you, Sir? What did we just see?"

"Curious, Curious stuff..." Tanbu sighs, "But, you heard the patrol leader. Back to the horses and let's ride on."

I feel as there is a map, we are probably supposed to do something heroic, but our orders are to observe not seek and destroy. Tanbu is sticking to his guns, he feels this is not the mission. Reporting this might be, but jumping into a fight is not. We have a Fort to get to.

Grand Lodge

Female Gnome Oracle(Nature)/5 N/N | C-HP: 47/47| M-HP: 43/43 | AC/FF/Tch: C-24/19/18 22/17/16 M-24/21/15 20/17/13 | CMB: +1, CMD: 16 | F/R/W: +4/+1/+4 | Init: +7 | Speed 15/35/50 ft | Diplomacy +6, Intimidate +9, Kn Nature +5, Kn Religion +5, Perception +5, Ride +6, Sense Motive +4, Spellcraft +5, Survival +4 | Active Conditions: None

"Undead?! Perhaps this is the very reason why I am here. This is an abomination that breaks the cycle of life, which I serve, and should be stopped. They should be stopped. Though I will submit to your authority, I must object allowing this to continue."

1 to 50 of 393 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / [PFS] #5-02: The Wardstone Patrol [Tier 3-7] with GM Rutseg - Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.