Zero's Q15: In the Footsteps of Horror (Inactive)

Game Master Super Zero

Slides Tabletop
RPG Chronicles
Low Tier - 15 CP


1 to 50 of 191 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | next > last >>

“All right, Pathfinders, you’re going on a little bit of a cleanup mission.” Valsin taps his finger on the map of a familiar island, tracing north and west from the giant star marking Absalom to a sketch of a castle near the island’s western shore. “A short while back, a group of veteran agents ventured into the ruins of Citadel Uromaz, where they defeated the lich Hekoz and stopped the ritual she was attempting. After dealing with the undead, they were called away to handle another issue. Frankly we need someone to go back and do the hard work of cataloging the place. Most of the large artifacts and valuable items have been noted and brought back to the Grand Lodge, but the previous agents described a huge mural carved into the stone, and no one even thought to take a rubbing of it.” Valsin sighs, “So, it falls to you to go in and document the site properly."

But before we get to that, why don't you introduce yourselves?

Radiant Oath

2396852-2033 | CG Female Halfling | Acrobat | Monk Lvl 1 | ◆◇↺ | HP 17/17 | AC 18 | F/R/W: 6/8/8 | Perc +6 | 25 feet | Class DC 16 | Acrobatics/Medicine/Stealth/Survival: +6, Athletics: +5, Lore (Circus, PFS): +3, Nature(U)/Religion(U)/Thievery(U): +3 | Exploration Activity: Avoid Notice | Hero Points: 1/3 |

A tall-ish halfling carrying a staff and a sword on her belt enters the room. She has an innocent-seeming smile though one can't really determine if she's planning mischief. She moves smoothly, with the grace of an acrobat.

"Mandy" she says shortly, as if not really liking the name.

Grand Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.
"Huh? Wait, what?" | CG Male Gnome Oracle 2 | HP 26 | AC 18 | Fort +5; Ref +6; Will +7; | Perception +5 low-light vision | Speed 25 | Spell DC 18 | Exploration (search)

Macondi listens to the announcement as best as he can. "Undead. I was just dealing with undead a bit ago." The scatterbrained Gnome tries to guide his attention back to the mission briefing. "Cataloging and rubbing things. Got it."

He turns to the rest of the group once the briefing is done. "Hi, I'm Macondi. A librarian and Oracle." He looks around the group to see if there are any familiar faces.

Vigilant Seal

TN Gnome (Bleachling, Umbral) Tomb Born Thaumaturge (Lantern) / Blessed One 3 | ◆◇↺ | Explore: Investigate w/ automatic check vs trap, hazard, haunt, secret
Stats:
AC 20 | Fortitude (+8), Reflex (+8), Will (+8) | Perception (+9) w/ darkvision | Speed 25 | Reactions @ Empathetic Plea (if attacked), Final Spite (when felled)
♥️ 39/39 | ☀️ □ | ☘️ ☑ | ✋✋ Lantern Implement & Cane Pistol | ⚕ none | School: Burning Hands □

"Bah!"

A shabby pale grumpy gnome hobbles in, knobby knees supported by a cane, his other hand holding a lamp, which he shines upon the other gnome first "Oracle. But What can you See?" - shrewdly dismissive perhaps - next the halfling gets the light "Mandy. Not much for Talking" - describing her behavior (or lack thereof) as if to question it's validity - then he introduces himself.

"Fools. I am Swix. But I claim not Sight nor Wisdom. Indeed. For what is more foolish than One who can claim That or The Other? And Twice for Both!"

He seems to think that his words stroke deep, a self-satisfied grin on his bleaching face.

Radiant Oath

2396852-2033 | CG Female Halfling | Acrobat | Monk Lvl 1 | ◆◇↺ | HP 17/17 | AC 18 | F/R/W: 6/8/8 | Perc +6 | 25 feet | Class DC 16 | Acrobatics/Medicine/Stealth/Survival: +6, Athletics: +5, Lore (Circus, PFS): +3, Nature(U)/Religion(U)/Thievery(U): +3 | Exploration Activity: Avoid Notice | Hero Points: 1/3 |

Mandy immediately steps back from the dour gnome. "Macondi... Aren't you some author? Someone from the circus once told me of some adventure books... Butisuriri Blue and Bamdimull or something like that... Not one for reading myself, but I was told the adventures are exciting..."

Grand Archive

"Huh? Wait, what?" | CG Male Gnome Oracle 2 | HP 26 | AC 18 | Fort +5; Ref +6; Will +7; | Perception +5 low-light vision | Speed 25 | Spell DC 18 | Exploration (search)
Antiquarian Swix Harlequinn wrote:
"Oracle. But What can you See?"

"I can see that your light is bright," Macondi replies while squinting a bit. "Does that count? Do you see more than that? Or with that? Not sure on the wording of what I mean."

Mandy the Monkey wrote:
"Macondi... Aren't you some author? Someone from the circus once told me of some adventure books... Butisuriri Blue and Bamdimull or something like that..."

"Oh, umm... Yeah. I dabbled in writing for a bit. I didn't know my books would be this popular though."

Verdant Wheel

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Gob Brd 2| HP 26 | AC 18 | Fort +4; Ref +7; Will +6; | Perc +6 (Darkvision) | Speed 25 | Spell DC 18 | Exploration (avoid))

"In a crumbly old citadel,
A lich was casting a spell,
the Pathfidners came,
the lich was slain,
and now were wielding ink wells!"

"Pennypockets" the Goblin bows "I bid you greetings from the Peoples Democratic Republic of Thistletop"

Radiant Oath

2396852-2033 | CG Female Halfling | Acrobat | Monk Lvl 1 | ◆◇↺ | HP 17/17 | AC 18 | F/R/W: 6/8/8 | Perc +6 | 25 feet | Class DC 16 | Acrobatics/Medicine/Stealth/Survival: +6, Athletics: +5, Lore (Circus, PFS): +3, Nature(U)/Religion(U)/Thievery(U): +3 | Exploration Activity: Avoid Notice | Hero Points: 1/3 |

"What's the title of your books though?" she asks Macondi.

Grand Archive

2 people marked this as a favorite.
"Huh? Wait, what?" | CG Male Gnome Oracle 2 | HP 26 | AC 18 | Fort +5; Ref +6; Will +7; | Perception +5 low-light vision | Speed 25 | Spell DC 18 | Exploration (search)
Mandy the Monkey wrote:
"What's the title of your books though?" she asks Macondi.

"Oh, uhhh... Well, the first one was Bitisururu finds an Egg. Umm, Bitisururu and the spider cave. Bitisururu and the Pirate Queen."

"Pennypockets" Nicnax wrote:

"In a crumbly old citadel,

A lich was casting a spell,
the Pathfidners came,
the lich was slain,
and now were wielding ink wells!"

"Pennypockets" the Goblin bows "I bid you greetings from the Peoples Democratic Republic of Thistletop"

"Oh, hey. That's pretty good." Macondi waves at the goblin. "Greetings to you as well."

"Uhh... Bitisururu and Bamidele: Egg Hatches. That one was pretty good. I started Bitisururu and the Hag's Library but I didn't ever finish that one. I'm sure I've forgotten a few too."

Vigilant Seal

TN Gnome (Bleachling, Umbral) Tomb Born Thaumaturge (Lantern) / Blessed One 3 | ◆◇↺ | Explore: Investigate w/ automatic check vs trap, hazard, haunt, secret
Stats:
AC 20 | Fortitude (+8), Reflex (+8), Will (+8) | Perception (+9) w/ darkvision | Speed 25 | Reactions @ Empathetic Plea (if attacked), Final Spite (when felled)
♥️ 39/39 | ☀️ □ | ☘️ ☑ | ✋✋ Lantern Implement & Cane Pistol | ⚕ none | School: Burning Hands □

"No! Stop!! My Ears!!!"

Dropping his cane, and his lamp, which had been shining upon the goblin, our esoteric hero falls to his knees, plugging his ears with his fingers at the horrid goblin song...

Verdant Wheel

Gob Brd 2| HP 26 | AC 18 | Fort +4; Ref +7; Will +6; | Perc +6 (Darkvision) | Speed 25 | Spell DC 18 | Exploration (avoid))

Penny laughs, "If this is what my words can do to my friends just wait to see what they can do to our foes!" - the Goblin looks super pleased with himself.


Valsin clears his throat and continues. “I need you all to pop over there, go through and take rubbings of as much of the mural as you can. Everything should be in the central chamber, but if you find any other archaeological finds that are worthwhile? Please note and collect them. Be careful, be prepared, and be vigilant, as usual.

“Any questions?”

Anyone who wants to see if they know anything about Citadel Uromaz can make a secret Society (harder), Religion (easier), or Undead Lore (easiest--or any other Lore you think may be appropriate) check. Roll in a spoiler box or just post your bonus.

Radiant Oath

NG Male Rock Dwarf Fighter 2 / Cavalier of the Pathfinder Society | Guard | Animal Companion (Mount) Salagubang | HP 34/34, AC 19 (21 w Steel Shield raised or ↺ Reactive Shield), Fortitude** +8 (+1 Poison Resistance, DC +2 vs Shove or Trip), Reflex** +7 (DC +2 vs Shove or Trip), Will* +5, Perception** +7 (darkvision), Stealth +1 | Speed 20 ft. | Exploration Activity Defend | Active Conditions none | ◆◇↺

A stout dwarf wearing a breastplate arrives at the meeting place, running for being late, he thinks. He stops and catches his breath before he introduces himself. "Basag Bungo, cavalier of the Pathfinder Society." he says proudly and takes his seat for the briefing.

Radiant Oath

2396852-2033 | CG Female Halfling | Acrobat | Monk Lvl 1 | ◆◇↺ | HP 17/17 | AC 18 | F/R/W: 6/8/8 | Perc +6 | 25 feet | Class DC 16 | Acrobatics/Medicine/Stealth/Survival: +6, Athletics: +5, Lore (Circus, PFS): +3, Nature(U)/Religion(U)/Thievery(U): +3 | Exploration Activity: Avoid Notice | Hero Points: 1/3 |

Religion +3 (U)

Verdant Wheel

Gob Brd 2| HP 26 | AC 18 | Fort +4; Ref +7; Will +6; | Perc +6 (Darkvision) | Speed 25 | Spell DC 18 | Exploration (avoid))

Bardic Lore:
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 18

"Did the previous group make any maps or leave any handy information? What sort of undead were in there?"

Vigilant Seal

TN Gnome (Bleachling, Umbral) Tomb Born Thaumaturge (Lantern) / Blessed One 3 | ◆◇↺ | Explore: Investigate w/ automatic check vs trap, hazard, haunt, secret
Stats:
AC 20 | Fortitude (+8), Reflex (+8), Will (+8) | Perception (+9) w/ darkvision | Speed 25 | Reactions @ Empathetic Plea (if attacked), Final Spite (when felled)
♥️ 39/39 | ☀️ □ | ☘️ ☑ | ✋✋ Lantern Implement & Cane Pistol | ⚕ none | School: Burning Hands □

"A Tomb, yes, Tomb for a Womb. Let us See what we can See, shall we?"

The goblin stops, so Swix rises, takes several strides away from her, and thinks...

Undead Lore w/ +1 w/in Lantern Light:

1d20 + 5 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 5 + 1 = 23

Grand Archive

"Huh? Wait, what?" | CG Male Gnome Oracle 2 | HP 26 | AC 18 | Fort +5; Ref +6; Will +7; | Perception +5 low-light vision | Speed 25 | Spell DC 18 | Exploration (search)
Basag Bungo wrote:
"Basag Bungo, cavalier of the Pathfinder Society." he says proudly and takes his seat for the briefing.

"Oh, hi. Welcome. Cavalier... like, having a horse or something, right? Not the attitude."

GM Super Zero wrote:
“Any questions?”

"Mmm.. the lich was destroyed, right? So no more undead? We just need to rub on everything. Like a cat?"

Religion +5

Radiant Oath

NG Male Rock Dwarf Fighter 2 / Cavalier of the Pathfinder Society | Guard | Animal Companion (Mount) Salagubang | HP 34/34, AC 19 (21 w Steel Shield raised or ↺ Reactive Shield), Fortitude** +8 (+1 Poison Resistance, DC +2 vs Shove or Trip), Reflex** +7 (DC +2 vs Shove or Trip), Will* +5, Perception** +7 (darkvision), Stealth +1 | Speed 20 ft. | Exploration Activity Defend | Active Conditions none | ◆◇↺

Basag excitedly shares with Macondi, "Instead of a horse, I have a giant beetle. Her name is Salagubang. She's tied up outside."

Grand Archive

"Huh? Wait, what?" | CG Male Gnome Oracle 2 | HP 26 | AC 18 | Fort +5; Ref +6; Will +7; | Perception +5 low-light vision | Speed 25 | Spell DC 18 | Exploration (search)

"A beetle?! Oh, that's nifty," Macondi answers just as excitedly. "I have never been able to keep pets of any variety. You ride it and everything?"


Seeeeekrit checks:
Mandy Religion: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 3 = 15
Macondi Religion: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 20

The Pathfinders are very knowledgeable overall, particularly Swix. They know that the Pathfinders who completed the initial assault on Citadel Uromaz recovered beautiful treasures, including books, tapestries, and even rugs. It’s unclear how many of these items were original to the keep and how many were the possessions of the lich Hekoz.

Swix also knows that Citadel Uromaz was once a thriving keep dating back to the earliest settlers on the island after Aroden raised the Starstone, nearly 10,000 years ago. While it is unclear how long Hekoz held the citadel, the land surrounding it has been blighted for long enough that the lich may well have stayed there for centuries.
This information makes the Pathfinders more wary for possible danger (and grants a +1 circumstance bonus to their first Initiative check in the surely unlikely event they encounter enemies).

Vigilant Seal

TN Gnome (Bleachling, Umbral) Tomb Born Thaumaturge (Lantern) / Blessed One 3 | ◆◇↺ | Explore: Investigate w/ automatic check vs trap, hazard, haunt, secret
Stats:
AC 20 | Fortitude (+8), Reflex (+8), Will (+8) | Perception (+9) w/ darkvision | Speed 25 | Reactions @ Empathetic Plea (if attacked), Final Spite (when felled)
♥️ 39/39 | ☀️ □ | ☘️ ☑ | ✋✋ Lantern Implement & Cane Pistol | ⚕ none | School: Burning Hands □

”Fool of a Lich!” Swix adds as commentary ”You!” he shines his light on the whole party, washing their eyes in blinding rays ”Be Wary! Be Warned!”

Folks within Swix’s Lantern Light gain a +1 to Perception and Recall Knowledge checks!

Radiant Oath

2396852-2033 | CG Female Halfling | Acrobat | Monk Lvl 1 | ◆◇↺ | HP 17/17 | AC 18 | F/R/W: 6/8/8 | Perc +6 | 25 feet | Class DC 16 | Acrobatics/Medicine/Stealth/Survival: +6, Athletics: +5, Lore (Circus, PFS): +3, Nature(U)/Religion(U)/Thievery(U): +3 | Exploration Activity: Avoid Notice | Hero Points: 1/3 |

"We shouldn't have a problem then. But just the same, I'll stay back here where it's a bit safer..."

Grand Archive

"Huh? Wait, what?" | CG Male Gnome Oracle 2 | HP 26 | AC 18 | Fort +5; Ref +6; Will +7; | Perception +5 low-light vision | Speed 25 | Spell DC 18 | Exploration (search)
Antiquarian Swix Harlequinn wrote:
”Be Wary! Be Warned!”

"Yeah. Most definitely. The place sounds creepy."

Mandy the Monkey wrote:
"I'll stay back here where it's a bit safer..."

"I try to hide behind my shield. But that doesn't work all that well. Mostly because I forget that I have it."


“The Welt's a blighted land where no plants grow," says Valsin, "Thanks to the efforts of a group of heroes a few years ago, it’s been shrinking. Nowadays, it’s not inherently dangerous to people or animals, but its lack of settlements still makes it an attractive place for those who want to escape notice. Like Hekoz, for example.

“We believe all threats have been taken care of, based on the information reported to us by your fellow Pathfinders. You can never be too sure, though, so please make sure to go prepared for a fight, just in case."

Radiant Oath

NG Male Rock Dwarf Fighter 2 / Cavalier of the Pathfinder Society | Guard | Animal Companion (Mount) Salagubang | HP 34/34, AC 19 (21 w Steel Shield raised or ↺ Reactive Shield), Fortitude** +8 (+1 Poison Resistance, DC +2 vs Shove or Trip), Reflex** +7 (DC +2 vs Shove or Trip), Will* +5, Perception** +7 (darkvision), Stealth +1 | Speed 20 ft. | Exploration Activity Defend | Active Conditions none | ◆◇↺
Macondi Missani wrote:
"A beetle?! Oh, that's nifty," Macondi answers just as excitedly. "I have never been able to keep pets of any variety. You ride it and everything?"

"Oh, yes, she is my mount. You should see her!" he answers Macondi with the same excitement.

He then turns his attention to Valsin. "It looks like threats are taken care of, though we should still be prepared of course. And an easy task to take rubbings of the murals that we might find?" he confirms. "I think we are good to go." he announces, as if deciding for everyone.

Verdant Wheel

Gob Brd 2| HP 26 | AC 18 | Fort +4; Ref +7; Will +6; | Perc +6 (Darkvision) | Speed 25 | Spell DC 18 | Exploration (avoid))

Penny is ready to set off. Nothing further needed.


As the Pathfinders seem to be finished with their inquiries, Valsin provides them with sufficient paper, ink, quills, and charcoal to do the rubbings twice over, as well as several torches. He has arranged for horses (but realizes that the only one large enough to comfortably ride one already has a mount, and so arranges for alternatives) to take them to the site, as well as a map that will lead them there. These mounts are purely for transport and have no combat training. Valsin’s supplies also include three weeks of provisions for the field agents and their mounts.

The previous group had not yet made a map of the complex, as they were focused on fighting the lich and her forces, so Ambrus tells the Pathfinders that they’ll likely have to do a bit of exploring to find the large ritual chamber.

The journey west from the bustling streets of Absalom across the Isle of Kortos begins peacefully. At first, the roads are well-populated with travelers, guards, and caravans. Plains give way to forests and then farmland. A thin ring of fertile soil occupied by a partially constructed barn divides the fields from the barren lands of the Welt. Within the Welt, the weather takes a turn for the worse. Gray clouds fill the sky and a chill, misting rain pervades the air. By the end of the journey, the sky overhead is nearly obsidian, illuminated only by flashes of greenish lightning.

As the team approach the ruins, they feel a palpable sense of unease--the lingering result of unholy rituals performed here? Salagubang seems uneasy, though Basag is able to coax her forward. The area is quiet, as no other animals seem to be approaching--including the borrowed mounts, which absolutely refuse to approach within 20 feet of the entrance to the catacombs.

The catacombs are entirely underground, carved out of dull gray bedrock. Ceilings are 10 feet high. Dim light blankets the area, though it has no visible sources, and light and shadows dance across the chambers of their own accord. The colors of everything in the citadel, including the Pathfinders and their belongings, fade into muted hues.

This entry hall walls are carved with ornate skulls and funereal adornments. The only features of note are a corridor leading to the west from the north end of the room, and a collapsed stairway to the south. An unlit torch sits in the sconce nearby.

The stairs to the south that would lead upwards to the main complex have been completely blocked by debris. This is somewhat alarming as... didn't the group just come down those stairs? They weren't like that a minute ago.

Map added.
An Arcana, Occultism, or Netherworld Lore check to Recall Knowledge may shed some light (though surely not literally) on the situation.

Verdant Wheel

Gob Brd 2| HP 26 | AC 18 | Fort +4; Ref +7; Will +6; | Perc +6 (Darkvision) | Speed 25 | Spell DC 18 | Exploration (avoid))

Bardic Lore 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26

"What's this place?
What's in here?
Undead? monsters? worse I fear!"

The goblin sings along to himself as he takes in the setting...

Radiant Oath

2396852-2033 | CG Female Halfling | Acrobat | Monk Lvl 1 | ◆◇↺ | HP 17/17 | AC 18 | F/R/W: 6/8/8 | Perc +6 | 25 feet | Class DC 16 | Acrobatics/Medicine/Stealth/Survival: +6, Athletics: +5, Lore (Circus, PFS): +3, Nature(U)/Religion(U)/Thievery(U): +3 | Exploration Activity: Avoid Notice | Hero Points: 1/3 |

None of the above

"Where are we?" she whispers to Macondi, who appears to be the one she's most comfortable with at the moment. Halfling sling staff in hand, she reaches into a pouch and fingers a sling bullet...

"You've been adventuring before. How do you deal with this?" She feels that leaving the circus may not have been such a good idea...

Vigilant Seal

TN Gnome (Bleachling, Umbral) Tomb Born Thaumaturge (Lantern) / Blessed One 3 | ◆◇↺ | Explore: Investigate w/ automatic check vs trap, hazard, haunt, secret
Stats:
AC 20 | Fortitude (+8), Reflex (+8), Will (+8) | Perception (+9) w/ darkvision | Speed 25 | Reactions @ Empathetic Plea (if attacked), Final Spite (when felled)
♥️ 39/39 | ☀️ □ | ☘️ ☑ | ✋✋ Lantern Implement & Cane Pistol | ⚕ none | School: Burning Hands □

Swix literally sheds light on the situation, bolstering his allies' recollective abilities!

Arcana (Trained) w/ +1 Lantern Light: 1d20 + 5 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 5 + 1 = 21

Lantern Implement

Radiant Oath

NG Male Rock Dwarf Fighter 2 / Cavalier of the Pathfinder Society | Guard | Animal Companion (Mount) Salagubang | HP 34/34, AC 19 (21 w Steel Shield raised or ↺ Reactive Shield), Fortitude** +8 (+1 Poison Resistance, DC +2 vs Shove or Trip), Reflex** +7 (DC +2 vs Shove or Trip), Will* +5, Perception** +7 (darkvision), Stealth +1 | Speed 20 ft. | Exploration Activity Defend | Active Conditions none | ◆◇↺

Basag slowly draws his weapon and shield after sensing such unease. He can feel that Salagubang is somewhat trembling at first, but he manages to calm her mount down.

"in an eerie place, I should say." he comments at Mandy's question of where they are actually. "So how are we going to get out here later?" he asks after noticing the stairs to where they just come from are now covered with debris.

Grand Archive

"Huh? Wait, what?" | CG Male Gnome Oracle 2 | HP 26 | AC 18 | Fort +5; Ref +6; Will +7; | Perception +5 low-light vision | Speed 25 | Spell DC 18 | Exploration (search)
Mandy the Monkey wrote:
"You've been adventuring before. How do you deal with this?"

"Trust your team," Macondi replies while pulling out his shield strapped across his back and getting it settled into place, "and don't die."

He looks back at the stairs that they just came down - which are now covered in rubble. Then looks around at the changed colors of everything. "Pennypockets is right. I don't know what this place is, but I don't really like it here." He glances back at the stairs. "No going back that way. Have to find another." He moves out with the rest of the group, trying to stay out of point position.


GM dice:
flat check: 1d20 ⇒ 4

Physically, darkness is merely the absence of light. Where there is no light there is darkness and where there is light there is no darkness.

That makes the darkness around here rather strange. It isn't absolute, and those who can't see in the dark can still see here, if not perfectly (outside of a light source, everything is dim light). Meanwhile it's oddly... assertive. It resists the light of Swix's lantern, which for a moment fails to light at all. When it does, the brightness seems dampened.
To activate a light effect you have to make a DC 6 flat check, which fails here. Nothing stops you here from just trying again until it works--but even then the radius is halved.

Pennypockets remembers stories of a place with muted colors and lack of vibrancy. It suggests the Pathfinders have found their way on to the Netherworld, a shadowy mirror of the familiar Universe. The erratic behavior of the shadows and light in the citadel is unusually pronounced for the Netherworld: it suggests that there is a portal back to the Universe nearby.
All PCs gain a +1 circumstance bonus to Will saves for the remainder of the adventure, as the feeling of home bolsters their morale.

Radiant Oath

NG Male Rock Dwarf Fighter 2 / Cavalier of the Pathfinder Society | Guard | Animal Companion (Mount) Salagubang | HP 34/34, AC 19 (21 w Steel Shield raised or ↺ Reactive Shield), Fortitude** +8 (+1 Poison Resistance, DC +2 vs Shove or Trip), Reflex** +7 (DC +2 vs Shove or Trip), Will* +5, Perception** +7 (darkvision), Stealth +1 | Speed 20 ft. | Exploration Activity Defend | Active Conditions none | ◆◇↺

"I think we should press on. I'll take the lead." Basag takes the front line with his weapon and shield raised and ready. Kicking Salagubang lightly to the side, the mount slowly moves forward. Fortunately, the corridor is wide enough for her to get through. For now, maybe.

Basag has darkvision. Exploration activity is Defend. Icons moved.

Radiant Oath

2396852-2033 | CG Female Halfling | Acrobat | Monk Lvl 1 | ◆◇↺ | HP 17/17 | AC 18 | F/R/W: 6/8/8 | Perc +6 | 25 feet | Class DC 16 | Acrobatics/Medicine/Stealth/Survival: +6, Athletics: +5, Lore (Circus, PFS): +3, Nature(U)/Religion(U)/Thievery(U): +3 | Exploration Activity: Avoid Notice | Hero Points: 1/3 |

Mandy sticks close to Macondi. He seems to know what's going on...

Verdant Wheel

Gob Brd 2| HP 26 | AC 18 | Fort +4; Ref +7; Will +6; | Perc +6 (Darkvision) | Speed 25 | Spell DC 18 | Exploration (avoid))

Penny follows the gigantic beetle out of pure goblin habit.

Grand Archive

"Huh? Wait, what?" | CG Male Gnome Oracle 2 | HP 26 | AC 18 | Fort +5; Ref +6; Will +7; | Perception +5 low-light vision | Speed 25 | Spell DC 18 | Exploration (search)

Macondi follows behind Salagubang and Basag. He often finds himself distracted by the play of light and shadow in this area. "Huh. It is like the shadows and light are fighting for control. Shadow is winning here. But then more light shows up."


Basag notes, easily visible among the rubble, a bag containing assorted gemstones.

As the team reaches the end of the short hallway that opens into a larger chamber, they hear a screech. Several shadowy humanoids rush to attack them!

Basag, in the lead, sees them coming. He notes that two of them seem more formidable than the rest. They were slower to react than the rest, but there's nonetheless something more confident in the way they hold their daggers, something more practiced in their stance.

Basag's turn.

Initiative:
Basag (34/34)
-Salagubang (26/26)
Shadowborn Stalker D
Shadowborn Stalker E
Antiquarian Swix Harlequin (39/39)
Macondi (26/26)
Shadowborn Stalker C
Pennypockets (26/26)
Mandy the Monkey (17/17)
Shadowborn Stalker F
Elite Shadowborn Stalker A
Elite Shadowborn Stalker B

GM Dice: Initiative:
Elite A: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9
Elite B: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8
C: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13
D: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (16) + 3 = 19
E: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (15) + 3 = 18
F: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10
Mandy: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13
Basag: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (20) + 7 = 27
Macondi: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14
Pennypockets: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13
Swix: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (8) + 9 = 17

Radiant Oath

NG Male Rock Dwarf Fighter 2 / Cavalier of the Pathfinder Society | Guard | Animal Companion (Mount) Salagubang | HP 34/34, AC 19 (21 w Steel Shield raised or ↺ Reactive Shield), Fortitude** +8 (+1 Poison Resistance, DC +2 vs Shove or Trip), Reflex** +7 (DC +2 vs Shove or Trip), Will* +5, Perception** +7 (darkvision), Stealth +1 | Speed 20 ft. | Exploration Activity Defend | Active Conditions none | ◆◇↺

"We have company!" Basag declares. "I thought they have eliminated threats here?! Are they threats though?" he readies his weapon just in case anyone attacks him or any of his allies that will be within his reach.

Readied Action:
Dwarven War Axe Attack: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (7) + 10 = 17
Damage: 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12 slashing damage

He raises his shield.

◆◆ Ready
◆ Raise a Steel Shield
↺ Shield Block (if he takes more than 10 damage) or ↺ Attack of Opportunity


The first of the shadowy creatures approaches Basag, and is promptly sliced in two by his axe. It's not just a spirit, there's something solid there, but it still disperses into into nothing as he defeats it.

This immediate destruction doesn't seem to scare the next one, which approaches hissing. It stabs him once, but he deflects a second attempt with his own weapon.
* Stride, * Strike Basag/Salagubang: 1d2 ⇒ 1 Dagger: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 28 piercing damage: 1d4 ⇒ 2, * Strike Basag/Salagubang: 1d2 ⇒ 1 Dagger (MAP, Agile: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 4 = 14

Swix and Macondi's turns.

Initiative:
Basag (30/34, Shield Raised, reaction used)
-Salagubang (26/26)
Shadowborn Stalker E
Antiquarian Swix Harlequin (39/39)
Macondi (26/26)
Shadowborn Stalker C
Pennypockets (26/26)
Mandy the Monkey (17/17)
Shadowborn Stalker F
Elite Shadowborn Stalker A
Elite Shadowborn Stalker B

Grand Archive

"Huh? Wait, what?" | CG Male Gnome Oracle 2 | HP 26 | AC 18 | Fort +5; Ref +6; Will +7; | Perception +5 low-light vision | Speed 25 | Spell DC 18 | Exploration (search)

"Threats and threats and bigger threats," Macondi says as he steps forward to get a better look and to be in closer range for spellcasting. "Definitely not no threats."

He quickly casts a spell. The deep sound of a gong begins ringing. The noise quickly increases in volume to the point where it becomes uncomfortable. For those near the spell's source point, it becomes painful.

10 foot burst. Should get all enemies except E
Sonic damage DC 17 basic Fortitude: 2d4 ⇒ (3, 1) = 4

◆ Stride, ◆◆ Concordant Choir

Spell usage:

Focus: 2/2
1st: □ □ ☑


1 person marked this as a favorite.

A: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11
B: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15
C: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4
F: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4
Oh dear.

Macondi's spell blasts away two more of the creatures.

Swix, Pennypockets, and Mandy's turns.

Initiative:
Basag (30/34, Shield Raised, reaction used)
-Salagubang (26/26)
Shadowborn Stalker E
Antiquarian Swix Harlequin (39/39)
Macondi (26/26)
Pennypockets (26/26)
Mandy the Monkey (17/17)
Elite Shadowborn Stalker A (-4)
Elite Shadowborn Stalker B (-4)

Verdant Wheel

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Gob Brd 2| HP 26 | AC 18 | Fort +4; Ref +7; Will +6; | Perc +6 (Darkvision) | Speed 25 | Spell DC 18 | Exploration (avoid))

Penny wanders to a better position to better see what is happening, and where all the enemies are.

"Basag kills you with an axe
Smashed your friends with two good whacks!
Macondi summoned gongs a-ringing
Broken bodies they sent flinging!
We go stick-stick-stab-bash-break
Til you nap-nap, never to wake!"

Performance (Song) 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (7) + 9 = 16

◆Stride
Inspire Courage on the Party (+1 to hit and damage)
◆Lingering Composition - Pass - 3 rounds.

Inspire Courage, +1 to hit and damage all!

Radiant Oath

2396852-2033 | CG Female Halfling | Acrobat | Monk Lvl 1 | ◆◇↺ | HP 17/17 | AC 18 | F/R/W: 6/8/8 | Perc +6 | 25 feet | Class DC 16 | Acrobatics/Medicine/Stealth/Survival: +6, Athletics: +5, Lore (Circus, PFS): +3, Nature(U)/Religion(U)/Thievery(U): +3 | Exploration Activity: Avoid Notice | Hero Points: 1/3 |

Mandy charges forward, plants her staff on the floor and shoots a sling bullet at E.

Halfling Sling Staff, 80' range, reload 1, IC: 1d20 + 6 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 6 + 1 = 14 for Bludgeoning Damage, IC: 1d10 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 + 1 = 5 Doubled on Crit

Doubt that hits

She drops her staff and assumes a combat stance, hunching over.

◆ Stride
◆ Whiff
◆ Gorilla Stance


Assisted by Penny's magical music, Mandy's sling bullet nearly misses--but heavily strikes the creature's shoulder instead.
Just a hit!

Swix's turn.

Initiative:
Basag (30/34, Shield Raised, reaction used)
-Salagubang (26/26)
Shadowborn Stalker E (-5, bloodied)
Antiquarian Swix Harlequin (39/39)
Macondi (26/26)
Pennypockets (26/26, lingering inspire courage)
Mandy the Monkey (17/17)
Elite Shadowborn Stalker A (-4)
Elite Shadowborn Stalker B (-4)

Radiant Oath

2396852-2033 | CG Female Halfling | Acrobat | Monk Lvl 1 | ◆◇↺ | HP 17/17 | AC 18 | F/R/W: 6/8/8 | Perc +6 | 25 feet | Class DC 16 | Acrobatics/Medicine/Stealth/Survival: +6, Athletics: +5, Lore (Circus, PFS): +3, Nature(U)/Religion(U)/Thievery(U): +3 | Exploration Activity: Avoid Notice | Hero Points: 1/3 |

Mandy watches in awe as Macondi's music hammers the creatures. She's equally shocked at watching her own bullet barely hit E's shoulder.

Vigilant Seal

TN Gnome (Bleachling, Umbral) Tomb Born Thaumaturge (Lantern) / Blessed One 3 | ◆◇↺ | Explore: Investigate w/ automatic check vs trap, hazard, haunt, secret
Stats:
AC 20 | Fortitude (+8), Reflex (+8), Will (+8) | Perception (+9) w/ darkvision | Speed 25 | Reactions @ Empathetic Plea (if attacked), Final Spite (when felled)
♥️ 39/39 | ☀️ □ | ☘️ ☑ | ✋✋ Lantern Implement & Cane Pistol | ⚕ none | School: Burning Hands □

Scuttling under the large beetle "Fool to Ride That down Here!" he complains before coming into contact with the strange Shadowborn Stalker which has already sustained damage. He decides to strike it down with his cane instead of study it.

Cane Pistol of Potency (1h, critical fusion) w/ Implement's Empowerment (+2) w/ Inspire (+1/+1) vs Shadowborn Stalker E: 1d20 + 9 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 9 + 1 = 281d6 + 3 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 3 + 2 + 1 = 10

Pounding it into dust, he turns to study the larger "elite" creature, "Let's See what we can See! Are you Strong? Will you Flee? Tee hee!"

Esoteric Lore:

Esoteric Lore
Your experience with the unknown, as well as the tales you've exchanged with other thaumaturges, has taught you about strange phenomena of every kind. You become trained in Esoteric Lore, a special lore skill that can be used to Recall Knowledge regarding haunts, curses, and creatures of any type, but that can't be used to Recall Knowledge of other topics. Unlike a normal Lore skill, you use Charisma as your modifier on Esoteric Lore checks. You also gain the Dubious Knowledge skill feat.

Dubious Knowledge
You're a treasure trove of information, but not all of it comes from reputable sources. When you fail (but don't critically fail) a Recall Knowledge check using any skill, you learn a bit of true knowledge and a bit of erroneous knowledge, but you don't have any way to differentiate which is which.

Esoteric Lore vs Elite Shadowborn Stalker A: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (11) + 10 = 21

◆) Stride
◆) Strike vs E
◆) Esoteric Lore vs A
↺) Empathetic Plea

Empathetic Plea:

Trigger You are attacked by a creature that you haven't yet acted hostile toward. You must use this reaction before the creature rolls its attack.
The way you cringe or use those puppydog eyes you've been practicing elicits an empathetic response in the attacker. Attempt a Diplomacy check against your attacker's Will DC.

Critical Success The creature pulls its attack, wasting its action, and can't use hostile actions against you until the beginning of its next turn.
Success The creature takes a –2 circumstance penalty to damage on the triggering Strike and all its Strikes against you until the beginning of its next turn. The penalty is –4 if you're an expert in Diplomacy, –6 if you're a master, and –8 if you're legendary.
Failure The creature's attack is unaffected, and the creature is temporarily immune to your Empathic Pleas for 24 hours.

Empathetic Plea (Diplomacy, Expert): 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (10) + 10 = 20


Esoteric Lore is a skill, but what are you trying to do with it? Is that a Recall Knowledge or an Exploit Vulnerability?

Recall Knowledge:
This is a secret check, so I made an off-site roll for you.

Humanoids native to this plane, the shadowborn aren't known for being quick--Reflex is usually their worst defense.


Exploit Vulnerability:
They have Weakness 1 to positive damage. You can either use Mortal Weakness to trigger that weakness with any Strike against both of them, or create a Personal Antithesis which would be a higher weakness but only against A.

Swix's shot eliminates another of the shadowborn. The first of the leaders moves up with a hiss, stabbing at Salagubang and Swix. And misses both.
* Stride, * Strike Swix/Basag/Salagubang: 1d3 ⇒ 3 Dagger: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (4) + 10 = 14, * Strike Swix/Basag: 1d2 ⇒ 1 Dagger (Agile): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13 (Empathic Plea succeeds, but it misses anyway)

The last darts forward. Positioning itself in the middle of the Pathfinders it stabs at Swix's back and stabs him before slipping away again from its terrible position.
* Stride into flanking (in both senses), * Strike Dagger (flanking): 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (16) + 10 = 26 for piercing: 1d4 ⇒ 2 and 2 precision damage, * Stride out of flanking

All PCs' turns.

Initiative:
Basag (30/34, Shield Raised, reaction used)
-Salagubang (26/26)
Antiquarian Swix Harlequin (31/39)
Macondi (26/26)
Pennypockets (26/26, lingering inspire courage)
Mandy the Monkey (17/17)
Elite Shadowborn Stalker A (-4)
Elite Shadowborn Stalker B (-4)

Verdant Wheel

Gob Brd 2| HP 26 | AC 18 | Fort +4; Ref +7; Will +6; | Perc +6 (Darkvision) | Speed 25 | Spell DC 18 | Exploration (avoid))

"Crush your bones and bust you up
Use your skull to make a cup!
You can't win this don't pretend
This will be your messy end!"

Vs B
Intimidation (Demoralise) 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (11) + 8 = 19

Then the goblin uses Mandys sling bullet to fire as a telekinetic projectile!

Vs B
IC
Attack 1d20 + 8 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 8 + 1 = 21
Damage 1d6 + 4 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 4 + 1 = 10

◆ Demoralise
◆◆ TK Projectile


The bullet thuds heavily into a second of the shadowborn. Wisps of shadow begin to trail away from it like smoke.
Both successful.

Basag, Swix, Macondi, and Mandy's turns.

Initiative:
Basag (30/34, Shield Raised, reaction used)
-Salagubang (26/26)
Antiquarian Swix Harlequin (31/39)
Macondi (26/26)
Pennypockets (26/26, lingering inspire courage 2 rounds)
Mandy the Monkey (17/17)
Elite Shadowborn Stalker A (-4)
Elite Shadowborn Stalker B (-14, bloodied, Frightened 1)

1 to 50 of 191 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Zero's Q15: In the Footsteps of Horror All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.