DM Salsa Presents - Chronicles of Kassen

Game Master AdamWarnock

BattleMaps | Chronicles of Kassen | HeroLab Files | Loot Sheet

Perception Rolls:

[dice=Betzolte Percepiton]1d20+5[/dice]
[dice=Casina Perception]1d20+3[/dice]
[dice=Grobradon Perception]1d20+9[/dice]
[dice=Maidie Perception]1d20+5[/dice]
[dice=Tanglefoot Perception]1d20+6[/dice]
[dice=Moon Perception]1d20+10[/dice]

[dice=Meep Perception]1d20+5[/dice]


Initiative Rolls:

[dice=Betzolte Initiative]1d20+3[/dice]
[dice=Casina Initiative]1d20+0[/dice]
[dice=Grobradon Initiative]1d20+1[/dice]
[dice=Maidie Initiative]1d20+8[/dice]
[dice=Tanglefoot Initiative]1d20+3[/dice]
[dice=Moon Initiative]1d20+3[/dice]

[dice=Meep Initiative]1d20+3[/dice]


1 to 50 of 780 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

BattleMaps | Chronicles of Kassen | HeroLab Files | Loot Sheet

The first breath of winter is on the wind. The folk of Kassen ready for the coming cold and hurry to bring in the last harvest. Throughout the town, eight of its youth prepare for their role in the coming festivities. They've been chosen to do a quest, to bring back the Everflame that lights their way though winter.

Please dot and delete.


Male Half Orc Male 1st Druid | HP:12/12 | AC:14 (11 Tch,13 FL) | CMB +2 CMD:13 F: +3, R: +1, W: +5| Init: +3| Perc: +6, SM +3 | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: none.

Dot


1 person marked this as a favorite.
BattleMaps | Chronicles of Kassen | HeroLab Files | Loot Sheet

Three Months ago...
Keldon tried not to sneer at the bandits from behind his mask as they worked to remove the lid of the sarcophagus in the old tomb. He longed to plunder the rest of the tomb's riches, the gilding and the precious stones being wasted this far from proper civilization, but he'd been given clear instructions. Go to the crypt, find the amulets, return with all haste. Iramine had impressed upon him the importance of this task, and the need for both secrecy and haste.

Not that this lot would have been much use in stripping the stone of its finery. How a small town out in the middle of the Fangwood could afford to build and adorn such a place is beyond him, but he is certain that superstition of ignorant fools such as this crop of brutes explains why it has not yet been plundered. He would have to come back with others, those that knew the truth of the false gods, to claim the wealth for the glory of the Living God.

Then again, there was that grand secret, the treasure trove that Iramine had whispered about when she thought no one else was around. Perhaps there is something to those whispers after all if a backwater town in middle of nowhere could afford something this ostentatious. He would have to ask her about that, and the imagery that showed her with two people who he could only presume were the occupants of the tomb. Those were considerations for later. For now, he has other things to focus on.

With a final grunt, the lid of the sarcophagus slid off, revealing the corpse within. While much of the gear buried with it was beyond repair, the amulet it wore shown just as brilliantly in the torchlight and the light of the everburning flame shining through the entrances to this part of the chamber as the one he'd already retrieved from the first sarcophagus. He smiled beneath his mask and snatched the amulet up, breaking the decaying leather without even a struggle. He passed it on to the only other masked individual in this troupe, a lesser member of the order in gray robes stained by travel.

"We have what we came here for. Let's be out of this place," Keldon announces as his brother in the priesthood carefully packaged the other amulet for travel.

"What about the rest of it," the leader of the bandits asked, gesturing to the gilding that was present even here in the part of the tomb hidden behind the resting place of the more honored dead.

"Leave it for now. We can always come back," Keldon answered. "We are paying you en--"

Keldon's voice is choked off as bony fingers strong as iron wrap around his neck and start to crush his throat. The corpse he'd just robbed rose from its resting place, balefire burning in the holes where its eyes once were.

"And what of your payment, false priest," it asked, its voice a rasp that sent chills down the spines of all present. Keldon was vaguely aware of the movement and cries of alarm around him. He could hear the other of his order screaming as he ran for the stairs that led back up to the next level. He couldn't breath, however, couldn't focus on the spells he knew as everything began to go dark. His vision tunneled as he felt the grip on his neck grow tighter. His eyes bulged from behind his mask as he heard the cracking as his throat was crushed. The last thing he saw were the motes of baleful green flames as the skeletal face of the monster he had awakened leered at him.

"Welcome to my new army," it laughed as the screams of doomed men echoed through the tomb.

The Town of Kassen, Toilday, The 3rd of Neth, 4709
It has been four years since the last batch of youngsters coming of age had been sent on the Quest of the Everflame. Rumors and gossip have been flying around town for well over a month now that Mayor Uptal, looking to be elected for another term, is looking to make this the best Festival of the Everflame in Kassen's history. Who would be selected has been the subject of much debate, but all in town are excited to see who will undertake the Quest. The dawn is cool and crisp as autumn is slowly taken over by winter. The first cold nights and snows cannot be far off now. The Mayor is up and about almost before the sun has peeked over the horizon, hoping to find the young people he has chosen before they have started their days.

Betzolte Ironhame:

Your father's surly demeanor and stormy expression do not go well with the hearty and delicious breakfast your mother has prepared. Unflappable as always, she smiles and hums as she went about her business in the kitchen while your father sat in silence, something that you've never seen before. Braggar's temper is infamous around town and while he'd never lifted a hand against you or your mother, he isn't shy about making his displeasure known. It is another puzzle to add to the one Holgast presented you yesterday when he ordered you and Maidie to go home for the day and not come back until he sent for you. Suspicious, the timing of that.

When you're about halfway through your plate of eggs, spiced mushrooms, and peppered bacon, a treat that is often reserved for special occasions, there is a knock at the door. Your mother gets up and answers the door while your father stews in whatever it is that is bothering him.

"Oh, Mayor Uptal! I wasn't expecting you so early in the morning," your mother says as she opens the door and lets in the tall, rotund man that leads the town. "We just sat down to breakfast, would you care to join us?"

"Thank you Misses Ironhame, but I must decline," the mayor answers, his smooth voice is a little thin, making him sound winded, but trying to hide it. "If I may intrude for a moment, I'd like to speak with young Miss Betzolte."

Your mother nods and gestures for you to come join her at the door.

"Ah, thank you. I'll not keep you long from the delicious smelling breakfast," he says when you join your mother. "You are familiar with the Quest of the Everflame and the festival afterwards that we hold every year, yes? I have decided and the council has agreed that you should be one of the ones sent on the Quest this year. I asked Master Holgast to release you from your studies so that you could spend some time with your family and prepare yourself for the event. The trip to the Crypt of the Everflame is not a short nor easy one, but I am confident that you will be able to handle it splendidly." He smiles, obviously trying to be friendly, though it does come off as a bit condescending as he looks down at you. "Do you have any questions that you'd like me to answer before I go on my next errand," he asks.


Bimbur Longstrike:

You've just finished your morning warmup routine when you hear a knock at the door to the large practice hall where you and Ilimara spar. When the door opens to reveal Mayor Uptal, he beams as he sees you and waves you over.

"Ah! Young Bimbur! I was hoping to find you here. May I have a minute of your time," he asks, waiting expectantly while Ilimara stands and watches the conversation.

"You are familiar with the Quest of the Everflame and the festival afterwards that we hold every year, yes" he asks once you've agreed to talk to him. "I have decided and the council has agreed that you should be one of the ones sent on the Quest this year. I asked Miss Ilimara to release you from your studies so that you could spend some time preparing yourself for the event. The trip to the Crypt of the Everflame is not a short nor easy one, but I am confident that you will be able to handle it splendidly." He smiles, obviously trying to be friendly, though it does come off as a bit condescending as he looks down at you. "Do you have any questions that you'd like me to answer before I go on my next errand," he asks.


Casina Brochus:

Breakfast this morning is sweet potato soup and rye bread. Your aunt and uncle look at each other nervously as the awkward silence stretches on. Your aunt, your mother's sister, has the same recipe your mother had, one passed down from their mother and who knows how many generations back. It even tastes like your mother's. Perhaps it is because it's the anniversary of that day, or perhaps it's because of the soup, it feels as if the ghost of your father still lingers, haunting you.

Your uncle opens his mouth to say something when a knock at the door causes him to nearly jump out of his skin. He gets up and opens the door to reveal Mayor Uptal.

"Good morning, and I beg your pardon for interrupting your breakfast," he says. "May I speak with young Miss Casina for a moment?"

Once you've come to the door, the mayor clears his throat and begins speaking.

"I and Kassen's council have considered your request to join in this year's Quest of the Everflame, and I'm happy to announce that we have decided that you should be one of the ones sent. I'd advise that you spend the day with family and preparing for the event. The trip to the Crypt of the Everflame is not a short nor easy one, but I am confident that you will be able to handle it splendidly." He smiles, obviously trying to be friendly, though it does come off as a bit condescending as he looks down at you. "Do you have any questions that you'd like me to answer before I go on my next errand," he asks.


Culver Cobbletoss:

It's a slow morning at the Seven Silvers with Trelvar and Asina recleaning things just to keep boredom at bay. Uncle Jimes snoozes on a bench in a corner while your mother sings in the kitchen as she prepares for lunch. Business has slowed since the end of the trading season came, and with the last of the harvests before winter truly sets in now done, it appears that the winter slowdown has begun in full.

Which made the entrance of Mayor Uptal a bit of a surprise. He looks around and spots you where you've been sitting at one of the tables and makes his way over, his girth making passage a bit tricky through the crowded tables and chairs.

"Ah, Young Culver! Just the halfling I wished to see. May I have a minute of your time? You are familiar with the Quest of the Everflame and the festival afterwards that we hold every year, yes? I have decided and the council has agreed that you should be one of the ones sent on the Quest this year. I asked Master Trelvar to release you from your work so that you could spend some time with your mother and prepare yourself for the event. The trip to the Crypt of the Everflame is not a short nor easy one, but I am confident that you will be able to handle it splendidly." He smiles, obviously trying to be friendly, though it does come off as a bit condescending as he looks down at you. "Do you have any questions that you'd like me to answer before I go on my next errand," he asks.


Grobradon:

The cold doesn't seem to be doing your mother any favors. You see her wincing as she flexes her fingers and the shake as they handle the kettle and anything else heavy is hard to miss. Still, she insists that she's alright and helps you cook the morning meal for the two of you. You and your mother are enjoying breakfast when a knock at the door to your small home interrupts the two of you. When you answer the door, you find Mayor Uptal looking up at you.

"Young Grobradon! Just the, um, person I wished to see. May I have a minute of your time? You are familiar with the Quest of the Everflame and the festival afterwards that we hold every year, yes? I have decided and the council has agreed that you should be one of the ones sent on the Quest this year. Olmira has already agreed to release you from your studies so that you could spend some time with your mother and prepare yourself for the event. The trip to the Crypt of the Everflame is not a short nor easy one, but I am confident that you will be able to handle it splendidly." He smiles, obviously trying to be friendly, though it does come off as a bit condescending as he looks up at you. "Do you have any questions that you'd like me to answer before I go on my next errand," he asks.


Keth Longstrider:

Olmira, as she is want to do, stands naked on a hill not far from town. The sun is rising higher into the sky as the two of you commune with the wind. Communing or not, its hard to not notice the chill bite in the air as you stand with her and listen as she walks you through the ritual. Now, it is time for you to listen, she told you, not to her, but to the wind.

Whatever the wind says, you hear Mayor Uptal huffing and puffing, and doing more than a little cursing, almost five minutes before you see him.

"Dammit, Olmira! Couldn't you have waited in town," he demands as he crests the rise and scowls at your latest mentor. "And would it kill you not to show your bony arse all the damned time?!"

You swear you see the hint of a smile on Olmira's lips as she turns to you.

"The wind, as hot as it may be, has much to say," she says as mischief dances in her eyes. "Listen carefully for the truths it tells amid the bluster."

She gathers her things and disappears, leaving you and a winded mayor alone on the hilltop.

"Olmira," the mayor begins after catching a little more of his breath, "insisted that you join the Quest of the Everflame this year. Something about the men she said she saw nearby three months ago. While I think she's being a bit overly cautious, the council thought it would be good to have someone as skilled as you along to keep the others out of trouble. So, Keth, what do you say? Will you do us this favor?"


Maidie Henrod:

As usual, your home is a bit of a madhouse this morning. Why Holgast the Forgetful Fart sent you and Betzolte home and said not to return until he sent for you is a mystery, though the timing is suspicious. Even stranger is, despite being the youngest, you've been excused from the normal chores of helping prepare for the day ahead. The delicious smells from the kitchen not only make your stomach growl, but also add to the mystery of what's going on since you recognize some of your favorite foods being prepared. A knock on the door has your mother calling out to you.

"Maidie? Would you mind getting the door, please?"

On the other side stands the rotund Mayor Uptal who beams down at you.

"Young Maidie! Just the young lady I wished to see. May I have a minute of your time? You are familiar with the Quest of the Everflame and the festival afterwards that we hold every year, yes? I have decided and the council has agreed that you should be one of the ones sent on the Quest this year. Holgast has already agreed to release you from your studies so that you could spend some time with your family and prepare yourself for the event. The trip to the Crypt of the Everflame is not a short nor easy one, but I am confident that you will be able to handle it splendidly." He smiles, obviously trying to be friendly, though it does come off as a bit condescending as he looks down at you. "Do you have any questions that you'd like me to answer before I go on my next errand," he asks.


Voronoy Kueb:

You're not sure why Captain Wisslo asked you to join him in his office this morning when you reported in, but from the growing irritation you can see in his expression, it's clear that whatever has you waiting here is late. He is about to grumble something under his breath when a knock sounds from the door.

"Come in," he growls.

The door opens and Mayor Uptal slips through, his belly threatening to catch on the doorframe.

"Ah, Captain Wisslo, thank you for agreeing to have Miss Voronoy here," the mayor says.

"Get to the point, you're already late," the captain snaps, his patience having worn thin during the wait.

"Ah, yes, of course," Mayor Uptal stammers before turning his attention to you. "Miss Voronoy, you're familiar with the Quest of the Everflame and the festival afterwards that we hold every year, yes? The council has requested that you joining the group we have going this year. They are some of the youngsters we have in Kassen that have come of age in the past few years and Olmira's report of a strange group of men a few months ago has some of them on edge. You've proven yourself, and your joining the others would help set minds at ease. I know it is rather short notice, but I do need your answer before I leave."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Half Orc Druid 2 (HP: 10/15; AC 19, (t11, ff17); F+4,R+1,W+6; init +1/Per +10)

Grobradon's meeting:

Quote:

The cold doesn't seem to be doing your mother any favors. You see her wincing as she flexes her fingers and the shake as they handle the kettle and anything else heavy is hard to miss. Still, she insists that she's alright and helps you cook the morning meal for the two of you. You and your mother are enjoying breakfast when a knock at the door to your small home interrupts the two of you.

If Grobradon's mother could see, she'd note the scowl on her son's face as he looked at her aching fingers with concern.

"You needn't help me, mother. You work hard enough smoothing the wood for others without lifting things for me." Where his face is scowling, his voice is, for him, surprisingly gentle.

Then there's the knock at their small shack's door. "I'll get it." Hunching so he can go below the frame he peeks out to see who the hell it is.

Quote:

When you answer the door, you find Mayor Uptal looking up at you.

"Young Grobradon! Just the, um, person I wished to see. May I have a minute of your time? You are familiar with the Quest of the Everflame and the festival afterwards that we hold every year, yes? I have decided and the council has agreed that you should be one of the ones sent on the Quest this year. Olmira has already agreed to release you from your studies so that you could spend some time with your mother and prepare yourself for the event. The trip to the Crypt of the Everflame is not a short nor easy one, but I am confident that you will be able to handle it splendidly." He smiles, obviously trying to be friendly, though it does come off as a bit condescending as he looks up at you. "Do you have any questions that you'd like me to answer before I go on my next errand," he asks.

Grobradon is not exactly a people person, he prefers the green of the woods to people as a rule, but the Mayor has always treated his mother kindly and that means a lot so he listens to it all. Then mmms "Olmira says it means a lot to the village, custom and all." He considers any questions he would have, "Is there some kind of feast or something provided for all when we get back?" One might think he was just wanting to feed his gob, but he glances over his shoulder and looks at his mother. This would be one way to arrange a free meal where neither he nor her has to cook if he's lucky. "Other than that, Long as Father Prasst can patch up any sore feet or bramble gashes, I guess I'm good. Thanks for asking."

I'm going to have to keep some of the others from getting lost, I can tell. Half of them wouldn't know North if the stars formed a big N in the night sky


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Female human conjurer 1 HP 17/17, AC 12 (16 w/ mage armor), CMD:12, Fort: +2, Ref:+2 Will: +6, Init:+8, Perc: +5

Maidie’s meeting:
As the Mayor’s words settled in her mind, Maidie blinked and nibbled her lip, uncertain of what to say in response.

So THAT’s what all this fuss is about. I should have known. It was the same when Garth was selected to go on the quest five years ago. All the secrecy and knowing smiles. I’m a bit surprised they picked me, but then again, I am a magician after all.

After absorbing the initial information, her sharp mind raced towards practical matters. Which spells should she prepare? Perhaps she had time to scribe a scroll or two? And what about her alchemical experiments?

Then she realized that the Mayor was still standing in front of her with an expectant smile on his face.

”I’m…uhm…” she stammered, then took a deep breath to collect herself. She felt the eyes of her entire family on her back, and could hear Elly giggle slightly before a muted thump (most likely an elbow from Jaden) silenced her.

Maidie straightened and spoke again, this time without hesitation.

”I accept this task. I will join the group that goes to relight the Everflame and use all my magic to aid our quest. My only questions are: When do we leave? What do I need to bring? And who else is going?”


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Female Dwarf [Transmuter 1/Unchained Barbarian 1, AC15, T11, FF14 | HP 18/18, F+4 R+1 W+2 | CMB +3, CMD 14 | Init +3, Perc. +5 | Telekinetic Fist 6/6]

Betzolte's meeting:
Betzolte swallows the mouthful of eggs she'd just been chewing on and hops to her feet, heading over to the door to greet the Mayor. She already had a hunch about what he was going to say, and she grins excitedly when he confirms it.

"I knew it was gonna be this year! At long last!" she crows. "I've waited a long time for this, Mr. Mayor...you know we dwarves come of age more slowly than you humans do. Watching whole batches of kids get to go while I was still waiting to be considered a proper lady was starting to chap my hammer. I'll make sure to do Kassen proud! As for questions, I know Maidie's probably goin' too, considering we both got the day off from Holgast, but who else is gonna be in this merry band of moppets?"

She turns and looks at Braggar, then back at the Mayor with a small smirk.

"I know you've probably gotta see the others, but if Father keeps glaring at his breakfast instead of eating it, there might be some leftovers we can share if you stop by later."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Dwarf HP 11/11; AC 16/11ff/15t; Fort +4, Ref +4, Will +5 Init +4; Per+7/9stone CMD=17(21) Monk (Zen Archer) Perfect Strike 1/1

Bimbur's meeting:

Bimbur smiles as he finds himself selected for the quest this year. He bows formally and respectfully: "I will bring honor on your household and show the town what I am made of. I will not let you down."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
LG Human Divine Defender of Dammerich 2 | HP: 7/13 | AC: 18, T: 10, FF: 18) | CMB: +6, CMD: 15 (25 vs disarm) | F: +8, R: +3, W: +8 +2 trait bonus on all saving throws against charm and compulsion effects | Init: +0 | Perc: +3 Sense Mot: +2 | Speed 20ft | Active conditions: None |

Casina’s Meeting:
Casina blinked in confusion, sleep having yet fully released its grasp on her mind.

“Wait. What did you say?” She asked. But before Mayor Uptal could repeat himself, Casina’s brain deciphered the cryptic message and a smile spread across her face. “Truthfully?!” Casina wrapped her arms around her uncle and squeezed him tight. “Did you hear that, Uncle Tomas?! Fathe-” and just like that, Casina’s dour mood returned.

It had been nice while it lasted. A brief glimpse of sunlight through the clouds. Like a window to who she had been before.

Casina let go of her uncle and cleared her throat. “How many of us are going and when do we leave?”


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Female Human Fighter 1

Voronoy's meeting:

Voronoy had learned some important lessons since joining up to serve with Captain Wisslo. Many were tough but fair, but of the ones she used most often, they came in useful now. Take orders and be punctual.
So, she arrived for the meeting her ubiquitous five minutes early and was allowed to enter his office one minute early. She stood to attention, as usual, until he told her to stand at ease. And she held this position, doing her utmost to ignore her captain’s frustration and remain calm and keep her face neutral.
Finally the reason for requesting her presence became clear - or at least the ‘who’ part was…the town’s mayor.
She turned to face the dignitary as he addressed her and nodded when he mentioned to quest - even in her relatively short time here, she understood its customs and practises. And she managed to suppress a sound of shock when he told her that she would be one of the participants, although an observant bystander would have seen her left eyebrow raise for a few moments.
She glanced over at her captain, expecting him to speak - but when he did not, she took that as a tacit agreement she could respond. “I would be honoured and delighted to participate. And if I may ask a question, how ‘short’ is short notice?”


BattleMaps | Chronicles of Kassen | HeroLab Files | Loot Sheet

Grobradon:

The mayor beams as you accept.

"Of course! We always throw a feast for those who return, and your mother is invited, of course," he says before leaning and lowering his voice so only you may hear. "I understand your concerns," he tells you, "I've asked Trelvar, Olmira, and the Ibbletings to keep an eye on her and do what they can to take care of your mother in your absence. Asina, Trelvar's daughter, and the Ibbletings seemed particularly eager to help."

Standing straight again, he smiles as he adds, "My thanks, Young Grabradon, for accepting this quest. I'm more than happy to answer any questions you may have."

Feel free to ask about anything you'd like to know.

Maidie:

You can feel just about all of your family watching you as you talk to the mayor. The itch between your shouldblades is rather distracting.

"My thanks, Young Maidie," the mayor says with a smile. "You and the others joining you will leave tomorrow, shortly after dawn. You need only bring yourself and anything that you would need to practice your magic. I understand that this will be your first time out in the Fangwood, so we will prepare some essential supplies and provisions for all of you. As for the others, it was decided that we would ask Betzolte Ironhame, Bimbur Longstrike, Casina Brochus, Culver Cobbletoss, Grobradon, Keth Longstrider, and Voronoy Kueb."

Feel free to ask about anything else you'd like to know.
By the way, did you post a list of your family members anywhere? If not, do you have one? I'm trying not to step on your toes and make assumptions.

Betzolte:

The mayor laughs and pats his ample belly while your father harumphs and starts eating his breakfast more in anger than with gusto. Your mother just smiles and shakes her head as she goes about preparing things for lunch.

"My thanks, Young Betzolte," he says as his smile turns wry. "Though you have a point. I was but a boy when you were born and now I am well on my way to being an old man while you are just now a young woman by a dwarf's reckoning. As for who else is going, we have decided to ask Bimbur Longstrike, Casina Brochus, Culver Cobbletoss, Grobradon, Keth Longstrider, Maidie Henrod, and Voronoy Kueb."

Feel free to ask about anything else you'd like to know.

Bimbur:

The mayor chuckles in embarrassment as he shakes his head.

"My thanks, Young Bimbur, but you needn't put so much pressure on yourself. Coming back safely will be honorable enough for us," he says.

Feel free to ask about anything you'd like to know.

Casina:

Your uncle, at first happy to see you so joyful, hugs you and whispers in your ear.

"I know, Cass. I know."

The mayor, noting your darkening mood, stops smiling.

"What happened to your father, Casina, was a tragedy," he says, his expression somber and sincere. "It can take time for such wounds to heal. I thank you for accepting this quest. As for how many, we are asking eight of you. Besides yourself, there are Betzolte Ironhame, Bimbur Longstrike, Culver Cobbletoss, Grobradon, Keth Longstrider, Maidie Henrod, and Voronoy Kueb."

Feel free to ask about anything else you'd like to know.

Voronoy:

The mayor nods gratefully as he answers your question.

"Thank you, Voronoy," he says, "You and the others will set out tomorrow, shortly after dawn."

Captain Wisslo grimaces, but is hardly surprised. It was the right time of year.

"Well, I think we can cover for you. Spend the rest of the day getting prepared and getting to know the others if you want, he tells you. "Take care of yourself, Voronoy. I know you know how bad it can get out there, but I want to see you and the other kids come back in one piece, understand?"

Feel free to ask about anything else you'd like to know.


Male Half Orc Druid 2 (HP: 10/15; AC 19, (t11, ff17); F+4,R+1,W+6; init +1/Per +10)

Grobradon's Meeting:

Quote:
"Of course! We always throw a feast for those who return, and your mother is invited, of course," he says before leaning and lowering his voice so only you may hear. "I understand your concerns," he tells you, "I've asked Trelvar, Olmira, and the Ibbletings to keep an eye on her and do what they can to take care of your mother in your absence. Asina, Trelvar's daughter, and the Ibbletings seemed particularly eager to help."

The Mayor's whispered kindness can make even a cynic like Grobradon grateful and he nods his thanks. His mother is blind but her hearing is good so he's very glad the Mayor remembered to lower his voice "Thank you, Mayor Uptal. Exactly what time am I needed there for the start of the ceremony? I don't want to be late." Another thought "We don't have to dress up fancy do we? I just planned on wearing good walking boots and my leather armor."

He glances back at his mom, sure she's fighting a smile over his preference for plain practical appearances.


Female Dwarf [Transmuter 1/Unchained Barbarian 1, AC15, T11, FF14 | HP 18/18, F+4 R+1 W+2 | CMB +3, CMD 14 | Init +3, Perc. +5 | Telekinetic Fist 6/6]

Betzolte's Meeting:
DM-Salsa wrote:


The mayor laughs and pats his ample belly while your father harumphs and starts eating his breakfast more in anger than with gusto. Your mother just smiles and shakes her head as she goes about preparing things for lunch.

"My thanks, Young Betzolte," he says as his smile turns wry. "Though you have a point. I was but a boy when you were born and now I am well on my way to being an old man while you are just now a young woman by a dwarf's reckoning. As for who else is going, we have decided to ask Bimbur Longstrike, Casina Brochus, Culver Cobbletoss, Grobradon, Keth Longstrider, Maidie Henrod, and Voronoy Kueb."

"You'll feel better once you've got some food in your stomach, Papa," Betzolte replies with a chuckle. "Cousin Bimbur too? Nice! Can't say I've gotten much time to get to know him since he came back to Kassen. Nice that Casina will be there too. She deserves nice stuff happenin' to her. Little surprised the young Cobbletoss lad got picked, given his mischief, but I suppose if you're old enough your old enough. You gotta look after your community, even the mischievous ones."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
HP 9/9 | AC 18, T 15, FF 14 | CMD 14 | F +4, R +7, W +1 | Init +6 Perc +6

Culver's Meeting:

Quote:
"Ah, Young Culver! Just the halfling I wished to see. May I have a minute of your time? You are familiar with the Quest of the Everflame and the festival afterwards that we hold every year, yes? I have decided and the council has agreed that you should be one of the ones sent on the Quest this year. I asked Master Trelvar to release you from your work so that you could spend some time with your mother and prepare yourself for the event. The trip to the Crypt of the Everflame is not a short nor easy one, but I am confident that you will be able to handle it splendidly." He smiles, obviously trying to be friendly, though it does come off as a bit condescending as he looks down at you. "Do you have any questions that you'd like me to answer before I go on my next errand," he asks.

Culver looks up from where the array of mugs he'd been cleaning were arrayed across the table and grins, "Why good morning, Mayor. You sure you're not lost? You and the Council are really sending me along for the Crypt run? Honest?"

The blonde halfling cocks his head slightly in an almost canine manner, and purses his lips, obviously thinking. "Well, y'know, I am rather busy. These tankards aren't going to clean themselvers, and there's a whole host of silverware back in the kitchen in need of polishing...not sure I can clear my schedule..."

Culver grins, "But for the sake of the town and tradition, I suppose my mother and my uncle..." (Off in the corner, Jimes mutters "I ain't yer uncle.") "...they'll just have to do without me."

A pause, then the rogue asks, "When do we leave? Oh, and is there any sort of reward involved?"


BattleMaps | Chronicles of Kassen | HeroLab Files | Loot Sheet

Grobradon:

The mayor claps you on the shoulder as he laughs.

"You needn't worry about being late for the feast. That will happen after your return. As for when you will set out, that will be tomorrow shortly after dawn. I wouldn't recommend wearing anything you would mind getting dirty," he tells you.

Your mother, as it turns out, is fighting a smile at all and verily grins as she listens from where she sits.

"I'll make sure to have something nice and comfortable for you to wear to the feast," she assures you.

Betzolte:

Braggar harumphs again between bites, but you could almost swear there's a twinkle in his eyes before you turn back to the Mayor.

Mayor Uptal lets out a wry chuckle as you mention Culver.

"Between the two of us, some on the council are hoping that roughing it on a trail for a few days will help amend his more, ah, roguish tendencies, perhaps even help reduce Jime's influence. I have my doubts, though. As for Casina, yes. What happened with her father was tragic, and I am hoping that this will help her move past it. Everyone in Kassen has known loss at some point in their lives, even if we are spared the ravages of Molthune's raiders and haven't had much trouble with orcs and goblins in the past few decades. I fear that how her father died has done more harm than anything else to poor Casina."

Culver:

"Uncle" Jimes bursts out laughing as you ask about a reward.

"I, um," the mayor says, obviously regretting some things now as he stalls for time. "Yes, the council decided that you should go along this year. Everyone will be gathering to leave tomorrow morning shortly after dawn in the town square. We'll provide supplies that you'll need for the road, so just make sure that you take today to prepare whatever gear you think you may need besides food, water, a pack, and something to sleep on. Thank you for accepting, and I do hope you have a pleasant day."

The last words come out in a rush as the mayor turns and leaves before you can ask about a reward again.

"Culver," Trelvar says, his tone tart, "you should know better by now. There ain't no reward. This is just something the town does as a tradition to remember where we came from."


Male Half Orc Druid 2 (HP: 10/15; AC 19, (t11, ff17); F+4,R+1,W+6; init +1/Per +10)

Grobradon's meeting:
"Tomorrow after dawn. Got it."He endures the clap on the shoulder unless the hand linger too long "I think that's it for me, Mayor. Unless mother has questions"


Dwarf HP 11/11; AC 16/11ff/15t; Fort +4, Ref +4, Will +5 Init +4; Per+7/9stone CMD=17(21) Monk (Zen Archer) Perfect Strike 1/1

Bimbur's meeting:

Bimbur smiles and talks to his patron.

"I will trust you to provide any information on this adventure. As we know, this is a tradition. I love traditions, both from journeying with monks and from dwarven settlements. I will share this with those in my class, but anything you can provide would be appreciated. Maybe you can tell me if you did this when you were young??"


Female Human Fighter 1

Voronoy's meeting:

Voronoy offers a short bow, first to the mayor and then to her commanding officer.

"Just the one question, where will the others be, in order to meet them?"


HP 9/9 | AC 18, T 15, FF 14 | CMD 14 | F +4, R +7, W +1 | Init +6 Perc +6

Culver's Meeting:
DM-Salsa wrote:

"Uncle" Jimes bursts out laughing as you ask about a reward.

"I, um," the mayor says, obviously regretting some things now as he stalls for time. "Yes, the council decided that you should go along this year. Everyone will be gathering to leave tomorrow morning shortly after dawn in the town square. We'll provide supplies that you'll need for the road, so just make sure that you take today to prepare whatever gear you think you may need besides food, water, a pack, and something to sleep on. Thank you for accepting, and I do hope you have a pleasant day."

The last words come out in a rush as the mayor turns and leaves before you can ask about a reward again.

"Culver," Trelvar says, his tone tart, "you should know better by now. There ain't no reward. This is just something the town does as a tradition to remember where we came from."

"Yeah, yeah, I know." the young halfling grins once he knows the mayor is out of earshot. "It's just that Uptal is so pompous sometimes, and he looks down on us so much...just figured I'd tweak him a bit."

Then, in a sudden flury of movement, Culver is up and out of his chair, charging for the kitchen. "Mother! You'll never guess what just happened! Old man Uptal...(a pause for a look of disapproval)...ok, Mayor Uptal just invited me for the Everflame Quest this year! Yeah, I know! Man, I wonder if Grob got invited?? Or Betzolte...probably not Maidie...Or maybe. Likely Casina...oh, and..I gotta go. I have to find out who's going!"

And with that, Culver bursts out of the kitchen, darts past Jimes, and out the door to find Grobodan and the others to discuss the morning's news.


LG Human Divine Defender of Dammerich 2 | HP: 7/13 | AC: 18, T: 10, FF: 18) | CMB: +6, CMD: 15 (25 vs disarm) | F: +8, R: +3, W: +8 +2 trait bonus on all saving throws against charm and compulsion effects | Init: +0 | Perc: +3 Sense Mot: +2 | Speed 20ft | Active conditions: None |

Casina’s Meeting:
Appearing to have the opposite of their intended effect, the mayor's words seemed to Casina simply shut down. “Eight of us, huh? And a good lot too. You know, in the stories, it’s always four or five in an adventuring group. With so many, this should be a breeze.” She placed a hand on the door, “What time do we leave?”

Once he answered, Casina closed the door with a curt “Thank you.”


Female Dwarf [Transmuter 1/Unchained Barbarian 1, AC15, T11, FF14 | HP 18/18, F+4 R+1 W+2 | CMB +3, CMD 14 | Init +3, Perc. +5 | Telekinetic Fist 6/6]

Betzolte's Meeting:
DM-Salsa wrote:

Braggar harumphs again between bites, but you could almost swear there's a twinkle in his eyes before you turn back to the Mayor.

Mayor Uptal lets out a wry chuckle as you mention Culver.

"Between the two of us, some on the council are hoping that roughing it on a trail for a few days will help amend his more, ah, roguish tendencies, perhaps even help reduce Jime's influence. I have my doubts, though. As for Casina, yes. What happened with her father was tragic, and I am hoping that this will help her move past it. Everyone in Kassen has known loss at some point in their lives, even if we are spared the ravages of Molthune's raiders and haven't had much trouble with orcs and goblins in the past few decades. I fear that how her father died has done more harm than anything else to poor Casina."

Betzolte gives a quiet nod.

"Well, I will see you tomorrow then, Mr. Mayor. In the meantime, I've got some breakfast of my own to finish."

She spins on her heel and returns to her seat at the table.


BattleMaps | Chronicles of Kassen | HeroLab Files | Loot Sheet

Grobradon:

"Thank you, Mayor Uptal," your mother says. "I'm sure you still have a busy morning ahead of you, so I won't take any of your time."

After the mayor leaves and the two of you sit down for breakfast, your mother reaches out, searching for your hand.

"I"m so proud of you, my son. You've grown into a fine young man."

Bimbur:

Sensing that Bimbur doesn't have any more questions for him, Mayor Uptal excuses himself.

Ilimara shakes her head when asked if she did this when she came of age.

"No, Bimbur, I did not," she says. "I grew up many, many miles from here. I was already a woman grown when I came to Kassen." Her eyes are opaque as she looks in your direction, but at something that is no here nor now. "I am familiar with the tradition, however. Ever so many years a group is selected from those that have come of age in Kassen to retrieve a piece of the Everflame light the way through the winter instead of some of the adults. Provisions, bedrolls, and shelter will be provided, but you must work together as one to complete the task. Most of the time, it only takes four days or so to complete, but sometimes, bad weather can delay those sent out."

Your mentor smiles at you, a rare display of affection on the normally somber woman.

"I do not think you should worry. You are skilled, and the others going with you are likewise capable.Other than some bruises or injured pride, you should not experience any troubles."

Voronoy:

"You will be meeting at and setting out from the town square," the Mayor answers.

Captain Wisslo nods and tells you, "If that is all, Voronoy, you're dismissed. We can handle things while you're away. In the meantime," the captain, in a rare show of amusement, if his evil grin is anything to go by, turns to the mayor, "Mayor Uptal and I have other matters to discuss since he's so kindly come to my office."

Culver:

Telvar chuckles, though it sounds as flat as ever to your ears. Jimes shakes his head and lights a pipe.

"Aye, no nephew of mine, but ye have a sharp enough wit sometimes," he smirks. "Ye'll be fine."

Inside the kitchen, your mother is busy preparing ingredients for lunch's stew. The water isn't even bubbling yet as it heats up over the fire. Despite her admonishing look at your irrevence, she is pleased to hear the news.

"Go have fun, Culver. I know you're too excited to sit here and shuck beans and peel onions." She waves the knife she was using at you, though she's far enough way that it isn't even close to endagering you, "so unless you wanna get stuck here helping me do that, best be getting out from underfoot, you scamp."

Casina:

"We'll be sending you off from the town square just after dawn," Mayor Uptal answers. "Take care, Young Casina. I look forward to seeing you return safe and sound."

After the mayor leaves, your Uncle Thomas squeezes your shoulders and guides you back to the table and breakfast.

"Your mother and father would be proud of you, Cas," he tells you as you both sit down. "I know it hurts. It hurts us too, and he wasn't our father, but you'll have to move on eventually. If you don't, focusing on it is only going to fester."

Betzolte:

After the mayor says his goodbyes and you return to the table, your father speaks to you in more than a grunt for the first time since you've come back from Holgast's tower.

"Seems the mayor ain't half the fool he seems if he doubts that Cobbletoss boy's gonna start walking straight an' narrow just 'cuz o' a few days out in the woods. Watch yer purse an' pack aroun' that one, girl," he says before eating another bite of his breakfast. "'Listra's knickers, he said Bimbur's goin' too didn't he?"

You mother tuts at the curse, and Braggar mutters an apology.

"Betzolte will be fine, dear, and Bimbur's got more sense than you give him credit for," she says before holding up a hot skillet full of more eggs, bacon, and mushrooms. "Here, eat up, the both of ye. No use frettin' on an empty stomach."


Male Half Orc Druid 2 (HP: 10/15; AC 19, (t11, ff17); F+4,R+1,W+6; init +1/Per +10)

Grobradon and his Mom:

His green tinged hand takes her outstretched one, though he is glad she cannot see a light blush. Mother can be so.. sentimental.

"I'm not sure why, Mother. I mean, yes, I've grown, that's nature's way. It's just... I'm going to just be one among many. This is just a ceremony, and while those can be important to a degree, it's not crucial even if Olmira thinks otherwise. "

Come to think of it, Treesong really insisted. Oh well, she's hard to figure out, but she always has her reasons.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Female Dwarf [Transmuter 1/Unchained Barbarian 1, AC15, T11, FF14 | HP 18/18, F+4 R+1 W+2 | CMB +3, CMD 14 | Init +3, Perc. +5 | Telekinetic Fist 6/6]

At the Ironhame Household:
DM-Salsa wrote:

After the mayor says his goodbyes and you return to the table, your father speaks to you in more than a grunt for the first time since you've come back from Holgast's tower.

"Seems the mayor ain't half the fool he seems if he doubts that Cobbletoss boy's gonna start walking straight an' narrow just 'cuz o' a few days out in the woods. Watch yer purse an' pack aroun' that one, girl," he says before eating another bite of his breakfast.

"Papa, you think half the town are fools!" Betzolte comments. "I ain't gotta worry about Culver. He's learned his lesson about nicking my things after the incident with my spellbook. Never mess with a wizard's spellbook. Even an apprentice one's!"

Quote:

"'Listra's knickers, he said Bimbur's goin' too didn't he?"

You mother tuts at the curse, and Braggar mutters an apology.

"Betzolte will be fine, dear, and Bimbur's got more sense than you give him credit for," she says before holding up a hot skillet full of more eggs, bacon, and mushrooms. "Here, eat up, the both of ye. No use frettin' on an empty stomach."

"Thank ye kindly, Mama!" Betzolte replies as she marches up with her plate.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
LG Human Divine Defender of Dammerich 2 | HP: 7/13 | AC: 18, T: 10, FF: 18) | CMB: +6, CMD: 15 (25 vs disarm) | F: +8, R: +3, W: +8 +2 trait bonus on all saving throws against charm and compulsion effects | Init: +0 | Perc: +3 Sense Mot: +2 | Speed 20ft | Active conditions: None |

Casina’s Private Scene and No One Better Be Looking!:
“It doesn’t hurt,” Casina lied. “And I’ve been trying to move on for a year now. It’s everyone else who’s determined to remind me of my great loss.” She rolled her eyes as she spoke the last words.

Casina sighed, letting go of some of the steam that had been brewing inside of her. When she spoke again, there was no anger or frustration in her tone. “Can we just finish breakfast and try to have a normal day? Tomorrow is the start of something big. I can feel it.”


Dwarf HP 11/11; AC 16/11ff/15t; Fort +4, Ref +4, Will +5 Init +4; Per+7/9stone CMD=17(21) Monk (Zen Archer) Perfect Strike 1/1

Bimbur at house:

Bimbur nods at the words of his hosts.
"Thanks for those words--I will do some meditating on my tasks."
Bimbur goes through a series of calming exercises and stretching exercises.


Female Human Fighter 1

Voronoy's quarters:

Voronoy knew when she was dismissed, so she bowed at both the mayor and her captain and exited the room. Once back into the barracks, she prepared for a short journey, ate a hearty meal and got to bed early, believing a good night's sleep was important.


HP 9/9 | AC 18, T 15, FF 14 | CMD 14 | F +4, R +7, W +1 | Init +6 Perc +6

Culver's Run:
DM-Salsa wrote:


Telvar chuckles, though it sounds as flat as ever to your ears. Jimes shakes his head and lights a pipe.
"Aye, no nephew of mine, but ye have a sharp enough wit sometimes," he smirks. "Ye'll be fine."

Inside the kitchen, your mother is busy preparing ingredients for lunch's stew. The water isn't even bubbling yet as it heats up over the fire. Despite her admonishing look at your irrevence, she is pleased to hear the news.

"Go have fun, Culver. I know you're too excited to sit here and shuck beans and peel onions." She waves the knife she was using at you, though she's far enough way that it isn't even close to endagering you, "so unless you wanna get stuck here helping me do that, best be getting out from underfoot, you scamp."

"Bye Mother!" Culver bounds out of the rear entrance to the inn, hustling along what he considers "the back way", hustling as fast as he can towards Grobodan's home. The halfling begins bellowing as he approaches the half-orc's abode."Grob! Grob! Come out and hear the good news! Grob!"


Female human conjurer 1 HP 17/17, AC 12 (16 w/ mage armor), CMD:12, Fort: +2, Ref:+2 Will: +6, Init:+8, Perc: +5

At the Henrod household:

"Well, thank you, Mayor Uptal. I have no further questions and will present myself ready to depart tomorrow morning." Maidie says, her mind already drifting back to toughts of which spells to prepare and what alchemical items to bring.

As the Mayor takes his leave and closes the door, Maidie turns to face her family.

"I'm proud of you, Maidie-lass. It's no small thing for a man of Kassen to have two of his children chosen to retrieve the Everflame. I'm certain you will do just as splendid a job as Garth did." Heywood Henrod says to his daughter. Maidie does her best to acknowledge her fathers parise, all too concious of the embarrased flush starting to heat her cheeks.

"I do hope that you will be all right out there in the woods. At least there will be a lot of you going, so there is some comfort in that, I guess." Gertrude Henrod adds, a slight note of motherly concern in her voice.

"Oh, they'll be fine, Mother. Even though Maidie has never been as fond of being outdoors as the rest of us, those are some fine folk she'll be traveling with. Grobradon is an excellent woodsman and a fine fellow, despite how some people treat him due to his half-orc heritage. And that Voronoy girl certainly proved her worth against that raiding..." Jaden Henrod says, before he's interupted by the sound of the door slamming open and his two mud-covered four-year old children bursting into the house, both chattering with great excitement.

"Aunt Maidie, aunt Maidie...is it true what the Mayor just told us as he was leaving?! Are you going on a quest to bring back the Everflame?!" her niece exclaims, jumping up and down, spraying mud everywhere in the process.

"Of course it's true. They couldn't possibly have a quest without bringing the best wizard in town, could they!" Maidie's nephew says with great conviction. He looks like he's about to say more, but is interupted by the emergence of a young blonde woman striding out of the kitchen to investigate why her children are shouting.

Bryce! Brenna! What's all this commotion? Jaden's wife stops in her tracks, her eyes narrowing dangerously by the sight of her muddy offspring. "What have the pair of you done to your good clothes!?

"But mooooom....It's only because Bryce fell off the old log over the creek and got stuck. I had to jump in and save him!" Brenna exclaims,

"It's all right, Mathilda. Let me get them cleaned up, then we can all sit down for breakfast. I have a lot of preperation to do before tomorrow, and I'd better get started as soon as I can."

She turns to face the twins. "Okay, you two. You know the drill. Line up! she says, already forming the words of the simple cantrip in her mind. She has long ago learned always to prepare presdigitation when she's going to be near her niece and nephew.

The kids squeal in delight as the magic turns their soiled clothes crisp and clean, then scamper off to the table.

I'll have to think carefully about my spell selection tomorrow. I'm probably going to need to deal with more than a little mud. Maidie thinks to herself, as she joins her family for breakfast.

I'm good to advance the time to the next day.


BattleMaps | Chronicles of Kassen | HeroLab Files | Loot Sheet

Grobradon:

"For someone who can be wise beyond his years and very perceptive, you can be blinder than I am when it comes to seeing the good in yourself," you mother says as her smile grows just a bit crooked. "It may be nature's way, but I am proud of the path that you have chosen to walk."

Before you can reply, you hear Culver calling out for you.
"Grob! Grob! Come out and hear the good news! Grob!"

He sounds about fifty feet away, and very loud for someone so small.

"It seems we have some company. Would you mind letting Culver in, please?"


Betzolte:

Your father snorts, and for just a moment you can see the corners of his mouth curling into a smile.

"Most o' 'em are fools," he growls, though you can hear what sounds suspiciously like a laugh underneath. "Bah, don't know why I was worryin'. Ye can take care o' yerself."

He does gratefully accept a second helping of breakfast.

"Don't worry, sweetheart," your mother whispers as she piles another helping on your plate, "he's proud o' ye, even if he's too stubborn to admit it."


Casina:

Your uncle nods in agreement and avoids bringing it up again as you finish breakfast. Your cousins, on the other hand, have other ideas on how to cheer you up. It isn't long before you have a pail full of water dumped on your head by an eleven-year-old who thinks he's more clever than he is and are greeted by the laughter of two young boys and a girl all between the ages of eight and eleven. They go running as you stand in shock from the cold water now soaking your clothes through.

What does Cas do?


Bimbur:

In the middle of your meditations, you hear someone scream in surprise and the laughter of children.

Voronoy:

As you're going about your day and preparing for things, you see three children, one of them with a wet pail that is now empty, come running around the bend laughing.
Whether or not there's a Casina chasing them is up to her.

Culver:

Your mother waves you off. You think you hear someone screaming off on the other side of town, but with no alarm going off, you hurry on your way to see Grobradon. The small hut only has one room, but it's a comfortable place and the neighbors all help Coldanna to keep it good repair.

Maidie:

Well is seems you did my job for me. Thanks! Up to you if you want to join in the potential shenanigans.

I'll be moving us along eithe tomorrow or Monday.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Male Half Orc Druid 2 (HP: 10/15; AC 19, (t11, ff17); F+4,R+1,W+6; init +1/Per +10)

Grobradon AND Culver:

Grobradon is about to reply to his mother, as much out of sheer stubbornness as anything else, when...

Quote:
""Grob! Grob! Come out and hear the good news! Grob!"
Quote:
"It seems we have some company. Would you mind letting Culver in, please?"

"Why not?" He says in a dry tone, "Not like he'll take up much more room in here" He opens the shack door.

Culver can see his big friend hunching and sticking his head out, as Grobradon says "Mom says you can come on in, Culver. Besides, I think I know what this is about." He makes some room so the halfling can do slip aside him and enter.

His mother, Coldanna, sits at the table, and seems to be in good spirits.

Grobradon puts on his mmmph face, but then, that's often his default expression.

That said, Culver might suspect the Druid isn't as apathetic about good news as he's pretending to be.


Female Dwarf [Transmuter 1/Unchained Barbarian 1, AC15, T11, FF14 | HP 18/18, F+4 R+1 W+2 | CMB +3, CMD 14 | Init +3, Perc. +5 | Telekinetic Fist 6/6]

At the Ironhame Household:
DM-Salsa wrote:

Your father snorts, and for just a moment you can see the corners of his mouth curling into a smile.

"Most o' 'em are fools," he growls, though you can hear what sounds suspiciously like a laugh underneath. "Bah, don't know why I was worryin'. Ye can take care o' yerself."

He does gratefully accept a second helping of breakfast.

"Don't worry, sweetheart," your mother whispers as she piles another helping on your plate, "he's proud o' ye, even if he's too stubborn to admit it."

"Of course he is," Betzolte says quietly. "He'll get to be even prouder once I'm back with the Everflame!"

She stands up and pats her belly upon finishing her breakfast, and gathers up her spellbook.

"I better go talk to Maidie. See what spells she's prepping for the journey: avoid redundancies and cover each-other's blind-spots, you know?"

She steps out and begins making her way to the Henrod household, only to nearly be bowled over by a bunch of kids running in the same direction.

"Looks like things are gonna get exciting even before the Quest starts," she mutters to herself as she continues.

Okay with me coming into the scene?


BattleMaps | Chronicles of Kassen | HeroLab Files | Loot Sheet

Betzolte:

Not at all. :)


Dwarf HP 11/11; AC 16/11ff/15t; Fort +4, Ref +4, Will +5 Init +4; Per+7/9stone CMD=17(21) Monk (Zen Archer) Perfect Strike 1/1

Bimbur in meditation stance:

Bimbur runs to see what is happening. Laughter is unsettling in dwarven lands.


BattleMaps | Chronicles of Kassen | HeroLab Files | Loot Sheet

Bimbur:

You see three young human children, two boys and a girl, running through the streets. The eldest of the boys has an empty pail that appears to be dripping water as he runs. You also see Casina, who is soaked and dripping wet.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Female human conjurer 1 HP 17/17, AC 12 (16 w/ mage armor), CMD:12, Fort: +2, Ref:+2 Will: +6, Init:+8, Perc: +5

Dispensing with the spoilers as scenes are beginning to melt together. Anyone who feels like it are welcome to join in, Maidie's brother Garth is about to dispense some brotherly advice about the quest.

At the Henrod household

Even though Maidie is supposed to be the center of attention, breakfast at the Henrod house quickly falls into a familiar pattern of predictable chaos.

The meals is barely halfway done before Jaden Henrod is engaged in the same long-running argument with his father about forest management.

Maidie's sister-in-laws both excuse themselves, Mathilda to usher the twins back outside to keep them from pestering Maidie with questions and begging her to do more magic, Lizzie to rest her back.

Elly starts chatting with their mother, asking her to help mend her cornflower blue dress so she can wear it at the send-off ceremony tomorrow.

Maidie does not mind. She prefers the solitude of her own thoughts anyway. Thus, she's almost startled when Garth moves to stand behind her and quietly say "Maidie, can I talk to you outside for a bit?"

Leaving the busy house, they step out into the brisk Neth air. "It's getting colder. You'll need to dress warm and wear a cloak that can keep out the rain." Garths says as puffs of mist form around his breath. Even though he is talking to Maidie, his gaze drifts far over the treetops towards the horizon.

Ever since he returned from the war, Maidie has noticed a change in Garth. She knows he was injured in the fighting, and while his physical injuries have long since healed, Maidie suspects her brother is still carrying unseen wounds.

"Wait here," he says, heading off towards the large tool shed. He returns a moment later carrying a light crossbow, a quiver of bolts and a long dagger in a worn leather scabbard.

"Don't give me that look. I know you hated our training sessions and that you're more accurate with your acid splash and ray of frost than you'll ever be with this, but a crossbow and dagger both work if you're too tired, cold and hurt to concentrate on your magic. I want you to promise me you'll take them." he says in a tone that invites exactly zero arguments.

"Listen, Maidie...The quest is..." he begins, before pausing as his trained woodland warrior senses detect someone approaching in the distance.

"Hold on...I think that's Betzolte coming this way. She needs to hear this too."


BattleMaps | Chronicles of Kassen | HeroLab Files | Loot Sheet

Moon:

As you and your father are eating breakfast, and once again hearing him complain about how uncivilized Avistan is to not even have rice, you hear the approach of the mayor and Olmira.

More specifically you hear them arguing.

"...gluttonous, waddling lardass of a mayor! Never have I seen someone so clumsy as to roll down a hill on top of someone," Olmira says, clearly agitated.

"Olmira, I'm sorry, but Father Prasst--"

"I'm not the one you should be apologizing to! And Prasst? Bah! He's too young and too dependent on what the gods deign to give." Olmira cuts the mayor off as they approach the door from the sounds of it.

A moment later there's a knock at the door as your father mutters something that you're sure you could never repeat. He keeps looking at the bowl, one of the few things to make it over the Crown of the World from Tian Xia with him when he first moved to Avistan.

"Let the barbarians in before they break down my door," he commands as if he were an emperor handing down a decree, and not one of the most unlikable and unpopular people in a small village out in the middle of Nimarthas.

As you may have already guessed, Mayor Uptal and Olmira Treesong wait on the other side of the door. The mayor looks ruffled, his hair frazzled with a twig caught in it, his clothing stained with dirt and grass, and a spot of late autumn mud on his cheek. Olmira, on the other hand, looks as furious as anyone can remember seeing her, and not even the fact that she has nothing on under her cloak of leaves and feathers diminishes the fear the object of her ire might feel.

Like, say Mayor Uptal, who appears to have broken out into a cold sweat.

"Ah, Young, er Moon," he says, stumbling over your somewhat odd name. "I, *ahem* I would appreciate it if you could join the Quest for the Everflame this year. The others will be assembling just after dawn in the town square. I understand that you don't get a lot of time with your father, so I understand if you wish to decline." His normally polished and urbane voice is a bit strained and it's clear that he's not up to his usual form as he speaks. At the end of it, he waits, nervously, as Olmira stands and fumes behind the rotund man.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
HP:20 | AC:18 ; T:14 ; FF:14 ; CMD:19/15 | Fort:+3 ; Ref:+6 ; Will:+3 | Init:+3 ; PER:+10 (Low Light Vision)

Akechi Home:
Moon puzzles through the strange invitation. Does he want me to go or does he not? If she had that answer, the mayor’s question would answer itself. As it is, the mayor awaits a response and keeping him waiting was rude.

She looks to her father and decides more time with him was NOT what she needed. She turns to the mayor and offers him a half-bow. ”Thank you for this great honor. I accept.”

After her father’s frequent tirades, Miss Treesong’s mood doesn’t scare her. Moon liked the woman and would try to put a smile on the druid’s face, if she can. ”Miss Treesong, you look lovely this day. If it would be no burden, I would like to join you at worship one day to better understand your connection with the land. Unless that is not permitted?”


HP 9/9 | AC 18, T 15, FF 14 | CMD 14 | F +4, R +7, W +1 | Init +6 Perc +6

Culver & Grobradon:
Grobradon wrote:

"Why not?" He says in a dry tone, "Not like he'll take up much more room in here" He opens the shack door.

Culver can see his big friend hunching and sticking his head out, as Grobradon says "Mom says you can come on in, Culver. Besides, I think I know what this is about." He makes some room so the halfling can do slip aside him and enter.

His mother, Coldanna, sits at the table, and seems to be in good spirits.

Grobradon puts on his mmmph face, but then, that's often his default expression.

That said, Culver might suspect the Druid isn't as apathetic about good news as he's pretending to be.

"Hey there, Miss Coldanna." Culver pipes cheerfully, pausing a moment to offer a small nod of respect."Ha. Good one, Grob. No, I don't take up much room, but that's ok, 'cause you take up enough for three of us. And you eat enough for five..."

There's a slight pause, during which the blonde rogue climbs up into a chair and then blurts out, "Grob, you'll never guess what happened to me this morning! The Mayor showed up at the Seven Silvers, and asked to see ME. Didn't even order anything at all. Not breakfast. Not an ale. Not even a plate of those sausages he likes so well, but that make him fart and then act like he didn't but we all know he DID, but we all pretend it didn't happen and just look away and try not to hold our noses or giggle...like that time that Casina and Betzolte..."


Male Half Orc Druid 2 (HP: 10/15; AC 19, (t11, ff17); F+4,R+1,W+6; init +1/Per +10)

Culver & Grobradon:
Culver wrote:
"Hey there, Miss Coldanna." Culver pipes cheerfully, pausing a moment to offer a small nod of respect."Ha. Good one, Grob. No, I don't take up much room, but that's ok, 'cause you take up enough for three of us. And you eat enough for five..."

Coldanna maybe blind, but she still knows her way around and a small bowl of tuber and mushroom soup is put before the empty chair near the halfling. She chuckles lightly at the exchanged jibes, "Good day, young Culver. Enjoy if you like, it's still pretty warm."

Grobradon snorts indelicately. As a young man, it's true he can eat a lot. His orcish heritage screams MEAT, but he's learned to make due with more humble and economical fare such as tubers and mushrooms, "Yeah yeah.. I remember, you're not 'small', you're 'fun sized' whatever that means." But he can't deny his mood picks up at Culver's arrival and he hears him out.

Quote:
There's a slight pause, during which the blonde rogue climbs up into a chair and then blurts out, "Grob, you'll never guess what happened to me this morning! The Mayor showed up at the Seven Silvers, and asked to see ME. Didn't even order anything at all. Not breakfast. Not an ale. Not even a plate of those sausages he likes so well, but that make him fart and then act like he didn't but we all know he DID, but we all pretend it didn't happen and just look away and try not to hold our noses or giggle...like that time that Casina and Betzolte..."[/B]

Ah yes, the Casina and Betzolte incident was the stuff of local legend among the younger crowd, and he smirked, "And you won a bet. I remember." Aheming so he can interject himself into Culver's rambling explanation , he says "Yes yes, The Mayor was here as well. Must be making his rounds pretty quickly. He wants me to join in on this year's quest for the Everflame as well. Looks like it will be a sizable crowd." He says "Big feast after we get back, enough even for me." Deadpan but decent humor entwined, but lest his friend think he's gotten soft or silly he adds, "It's not that big a deal, just a small tradition. We have a good long hike there, we do the thing, and we come back. The elders are all happy."


BattleMaps | Chronicles of Kassen | HeroLab Files | Loot Sheet

Moon:

Olmira smiles as you ask to join her.

"Thank you, Moon. I would be delighted to have you join me in communing with nature whenever you'd like," she says as you hear your father choke on his breakfast behind you.

"Erm? Yes," the mayor says, trying to take some measure of control back. "Well then, I'm sure you have many things to do to prepare for. We'll see to it that you have provisions for the journey, so you needn't worry about those. I hope you have a good day."

As the Mayor and Olmira leave, you can hear Mayor Uptal hissing.

"Dammit, Olmira! Would you go put on some clothes!"

"Not until I'm done raking you over the coals for breaking Keth's leg!"

As their argument picks and fades with distance, you hear what sounds like a scream coming from the direction of where Casina lives now.

Culver and Grobradon:

Coldanna smiles as she enjoys breakfast and the banter between the two of you. She even laughs when Culver brings up Mayor Uptal's love of Trelvar's special recipe sausages and the incident with Betzolte and Casina. It's not everyday magic goes awry like that. Colbin Ventar being in the middle of the mess only made the memory that much more enjoyable.

It's about this time you hear a distant scream coming from the direction of Casina's aunt's and uncle's house.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
HP:20 | AC:18 ; T:14 ; FF:14 ; CMD:19/15 | Fort:+3 ; Ref:+6 ; Will:+3 | Init:+3 ; PER:+10 (Low Light Vision)

Akechi Home (Hours Later):
Translated from Minkaian

Moon re-checks her pack for the fifth time... the same amount of times she’d had this argument with her father since the mayor left. ”It is an honor, father. I have been asked to represent the town.”

The older man snorts, ”It’s a foolish celebration.” His ability to scowl using only his voice always amazed his daughter.

She tightens the straps on her pack, ”It’s tradition, father. Haven’t you always said tradition is important?”

That draws another snort, ”It’s not our tradition.”

Moon tries to keep her exasperation in check, ”I live here, not Tian Xia. I respect our traditions but I also respect the traditions here. Avistan is my home.”

Having no counter to her argument, Temue falls back on familiar terrain. ”First, roaming around the woods, then that sword. Your mother’s influence has…”

Moon cuts him off. ”Mother never speaks ill of you. Please, show her the same respect.” Not waiting for her father to land another barb, she grabs her blade and heads for the door, ”I have to speak with Arnama about the quest. I’ll return in a few hours to prepare your dinner.”

It was a lie, but she could live with that. She heads to the clearing in the high wood that Grobradon had shown her a few years ago. The clearing was the best spot around the village to practice her sword katas, though her mother’s people had a different name for them. It was a better place to regain the inner calm that her father often took from her. Moon tries to do both. She practices her blade forms for an hour and then drops into seiza with the light sword balanced across her shoulders, trying to calm the somewhat turbulent mood her father has swirled up within her.

She focuses on the beauty of her surroundings and her mind slips back to when Grobradon first lead her here... A small smile crosses her lips at the memory. It was a thoughtful gesture, sharing his treasured location. His hesitancy, not knowing how she'd react, maybe fearing rejection but still taking the risk. It was brave, unexpected, touching... One of the few moments of kindness in Kassen that were indelible. He created a moment where didn't feel quite so apart, so foreign here.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
LG Human Divine Defender of Dammerich 2 | HP: 7/13 | AC: 18, T: 10, FF: 18) | CMB: +6, CMD: 15 (25 vs disarm) | F: +8, R: +3, W: +8 +2 trait bonus on all saving throws against charm and compulsion effects | Init: +0 | Perc: +3 Sense Mot: +2 | Speed 20ft | Active conditions: None |

I'm good to drop spoilers now too.
“Oh! You little goblins!” Casina snarled, though the grin on her face belied the angry tone. She loved her cousins and often found herself playing the mighty troll or evil wizard in their games. Oftentimes when she was unaware until after they had made their first attack.

Casina snatched up her aunt’s broom as she did, and set off after the trio. She affected a low growl and called out the front door, “When I get my hands on you, I’ll grind you into meal for my bread!”

“No! Skeletons don’t eat bread!’ One of them called back.
“And we’re boggles!” Said another.

“Oh. Um,” Casina paused and shifted her voice to a rasp. “I’ll polish my bones with your toes!” She pulled the door closed and headed out into the street after her cousins and as she said, still in her best skeleton voice “What the heck is a ‘boggle?’”

The third voice called back from behind a tree, “It’s a rat/goat guy who likes to prank people! My friend, Quinn, said he saw one in his window a couple of nights ago and it put a bowl of water in his bed and it made him wet the bed and that’s why his mom was mad at him!”

Casina stifled a laugh and took off after the kids in a skeleton shamble.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
HP 9/9 | AC 18, T 15, FF 14 | CMD 14 | F +4, R +7, W +1 | Init +6 Perc +6

Dropping out of "Spoilervision" as well...

DM-Salsa wrote:

Coldanna smiles as she enjoys breakfast and the banter between the two of you. She even laughs when Culver brings up Mayor Uptal's love of Trelvar's special recipe sausages and the incident with Betzolte and Casina. It's not everyday magic goes awry like that. Colbin Ventar being in the middle of the mess only made the memory that much more enjoyable.

It's about this time you hear a distant scream coming from the direction of Casina's aunt's and uncle's house.

The blonde-haired rogue jolts at the sudden disruption, darting out of his chair and almost toppling the mug he'd been about to sip. "What was that??"

Culver moves towards the door (knowing he'd be too short to see out the window, and opens it, stepping out a few paces and looking around to see if anyone was reacting in terror or not). "Grob! What was that all about? I can't get caught overreacting again...charging down the street with weapons out or something...not like that time I saw a lot of smoke and I took off yelling that there was a fire at Maidie's house and it turned out that they were just doing some work with their forge...And everyone came running for nothing. Boy, were they mad! The council made me do chores around town for a week!"

There's a pause, and the halfling looks antsy as he glances back and forth between the street and the Druid. "Should we...?"


1 person marked this as a favorite.
HP:20 | AC:18 ; T:14 ; FF:14 ; CMD:19/15 | Fort:+3 ; Ref:+6 ; Will:+3 | Init:+3 ; PER:+10 (Low Light Vision)

Drop the Cloaking Shield (aka spoilers)!

A measure calmer, more tired, and considerably colder, Moon heads back into town. She’d been in such a hurry to get out of the house, she hadn’t changed from the traditional Tian clothes her father preferred to see at home. So, she finds herself walking the streets of Kassen in a thin, deep-blue, silk robe at the onset of winter.

Great. I’m really blending in with the normal girls now. F&<k my life.

She sighs and continues walking.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Male Half Orc Druid 2 (HP: 10/15; AC 19, (t11, ff17); F+4,R+1,W+6; init +1/Per +10)
Culver Cobbletoss wrote:

Dropping out of "Spoilervision" as well...

The blonde-haired rogue jolts at the sudden disruption, darting out of his chair and almost toppling the mug he'd been about to sip. "What was that??"

Culver moves towards the door (knowing he'd be too short to see out the window, and opens it, stepping out a few paces and looking around to see if anyone was reacting in terror or not). "Grob! What was that all about? I can't get caught overreacting again...charging down the street with weapons out or something...not like that time I saw a lot of smoke and I took off yelling that there was a fire at Maidie's house and it turned out that they were just doing some work with their forge...And everyone came running for nothing. Boy, were they mad! The council made me do chores around town for a week!"

There's a pause, and the halfling looks antsy as he glances back and forth between the street and the Druid. "Should we...?"

"I can't make out the screams as being those of anyone i care about ..." Grobradon starts to shrug.

Ahem. Goes his mother.

And Grobradon winces, "Fine, fine, let's check it out, Culver." and prepares to take his gear, "Just this time, don't throw a bucket of water at anyone's head as they open a door."


BattleMaps | Chronicles of Kassen | HeroLab Files | Loot Sheet

It soon becomes obvious to everyone in town the source and cause of the scream as Casina laughs and chases her cousins up and down the town's streets. Some shake their heads. Others laugh and egg them on. More than a few other children wind up part of the shenanigans before it is all said and done near noon.

Feel free to have some fun with this. I'll be moving us on to the next morning tomorrow night.


Dwarf HP 11/11; AC 16/11ff/15t; Fort +4, Ref +4, Will +5 Init +4; Per+7/9stone CMD=17(21) Monk (Zen Archer) Perfect Strike 1/1

Bimbur thought he was being discreet as he watched the children at play.

Then he realized he was not doing a good job of hiding at all. He looked sheepishly around. The dwarf looked around awkwardly before deciding to follow behind the children.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Female Dwarf [Transmuter 1/Unchained Barbarian 1, AC15, T11, FF14 | HP 18/18, F+4 R+1 W+2 | CMB +3, CMD 14 | Init +3, Perc. +5 | Telekinetic Fist 6/6]
Maidie Henrod wrote:

Dispensing with the spoilers as scenes are beginning to melt together. Anyone who feels like it are welcome to join in, Maidie's brother Garth is about to dispense some brotherly advice about the quest.

At the Henrod household

Even though Maidie is supposed to be the center of attention, breakfast at the Henrod house quickly falls into a familiar pattern of predictable chaos.

The meals is barely halfway done before Jaden Henrod is engaged in the same long-running argument with his father about forest management.

Maidie's sister-in-laws both excuse themselves, Mathilda to usher the twins back outside to keep them from pestering Maidie with questions and begging her to do more magic, Lizzie to rest her back.

Elly starts chatting with their mother, asking her to help mend her cornflower blue dress so she can wear it at the send-off ceremony tomorrow.

Maidie does not mind. She prefers the solitude of her own thoughts anyway. Thus, she's almost startled when Garth moves to stand behind her and quietly say "Maidie, can I talk to you outside for a bit?"

Leaving the busy house, they step out into the brisk Neth air. "It's getting colder. You'll need to dress warm and wear a cloak that can keep out the rain." Garths says as puffs of mist form around his breath. Even though he is talking to Maidie, his gaze drifts far over the treetops towards the horizon.

Ever since he returned from the war, Maidie has noticed a change in Garth. She knows he was injured in the fighting, and while his physical injuries have long since healed, Maidie suspects her brother is still carrying unseen wounds.

"Wait here," he says, heading off towards the large tool shed. He returns a moment later carrying a light crossbow, a quiver of bolts and a long dagger in a worn leather scabbard.

"Don't give me that look. I know you hated our training sessions and that you're more accurate with your acid splash and ray of frost than you'll ever be with this, but a crossbow and dagger both work if you're too tired, cold and hurt to concentrate on your magic. I want you to promise me you'll take them." he says in a tone that invites exactly zero arguments.

"Listen, Maidie...The quest is..." he begins, before pausing as his trained woodland warrior senses detect someone approaching in the distance.

"Hold on...I think that's Betzolte coming this way. She needs to hear this too."...

As if on cue, Betzolte tromps up to the pair.

"Góðan daginn til þín, Maidie!!" she calls. She notices the serious expressions on both Maidie's face and on her brother's, and her own face takes on that stony, pensive look so often seen on dwarves from Kraggodan to the Five Kings Mountains.

"I'm...not interrupting, am I?"

Dwarven:
"Good morning to you, Maidie!!"


1 person marked this as a favorite.
HP:20 | AC:18 ; T:14 ; FF:14 ; CMD:19/15 | Fort:+3 ; Ref:+6 ; Will:+3 | Init:+3 ; PER:+10 (Low Light Vision)

Moon hears children laughing and shrieking. Her desire to see the fracas wars with her instinct to get home unseen to avoid giving the town gossips more fat to chew. Curiosity wins the round. The Tian girl ghosts through town like a spectre, slipping quietly between buildings, her silks rustling less than a light breeze.

She creeps up to a cart near the Brochus place and watches the scrum of children racing between the buildings. Moon can’t quite determine if it’s a game, a party, a war… or some combination of all three. Regardless, it’s fun to watch. Curiosity satisfied after a handful of minutes, Moon intends to vanish unseen and sneak the rest of the way home. The sheath of her sword has other ideas, striking a misplaced bucket.

Moon shuts her eyes… You idiot. …and opens them again hoping the noise went unnoticed.

Stealth: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 26 To duh fracas
Stealth: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8 To home


Female human conjurer 1 HP 17/17, AC 12 (16 w/ mage armor), CMD:12, Fort: +2, Ref:+2 Will: +6, Init:+8, Perc: +5

Maidie's face lights up in a rare smile as she turns to greet her friend and fellow student of magic.

"Einnig góðan daginn til þín, Betzolte. Það er gott að sjá þig. Fékkstu líka spennandi fréttir frá borgarstjóra?" she says, taking great care to get the intonations and grammar right. Her grasp of the dwarven language is still tentative, and she's keen to show Betzolte that she's making an effort.

Dwarven:
"Also good morning to you, Betzolte. It is good to see you. Did you also get the exciting news from the mayor?"

Casting a glance at Garth, Maidie shifts to Common.

"You're not interrupting at all. Garth was just about to tell me something about the trip to get the Everflame, and it sounds like he wants you to hear it too."

Garth gives Betzolte a slight nod, then turns to look down the street as the ruckus from the ongoing chase reaches them.

"Looks like more of your fellow companions are out and about. Follow me, both of you. I may as well get as many of you as I can to listen, provided everyone are not too busy playing games." he scoffs, then heads down toward the commotion.

Follow-up post coming soon, for anyone in the vicinity of the mad chase.

1 to 50 of 780 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Salsa Presents: The Price of Immortality All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.