GM Blazej's The Protectorate Petition [Outpost III] (Inactive)

Game Master Zynete


51 to 100 of 264 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>
Wayfinders

"Helios-4" Male N Android Technomancer 2 (Ace Pilot) | SP 12/12 ; HP 13/14 ; RP 4/5 | EAC 15 ; KAC 15 | Ft +1 ; Rf +2 ; Wi +3 | Init. +2 ; Perc. +2; SM. -2 | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: None. |
bot:
[dice=Attack, Azimuth Laser Rifle]1d20+3[/dice][dice=Damage, F]1d8[/dice]

Oh, I didn't realize we were at the red circle. It would depend if we have transport or if we would have to go on foot.

"Do we have a vehicle that can take us around quickly, or do we visit the city on foot? That will change our approach quite a bit. Helios says to the Copaxi. "It's true that the market is the closest, so we could go there, then circle the city to reach the observation tower." the android moves his finger across the map. "Though I'd say the academy should be our priority. Odds are that we'll find the most information over there, so if we're pressed for time we should aim for the academy sooner rather than later. Just my two creds."

Diplomacy: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (4) - 1 = 3

Acquisitives

M Android Soldier 4 | (SP 32/32, HP 32/32, RP 5/5; EAC 16, KAC 17; F +5, R +4, W +5; Init +3, LLV, DV60'; [dice=Squad m gun, burning]1d20+7[/dice] [dice=dmg]1d10+6[/dice] [dice=BLAM! BLAM! ]1d20+9[/dice] [dice=Dmg]1d6+6[/dice]

Diplomacy: 1d20 ⇒ 14

"I recommend we visit the observation tower. The scavengers may have additional tactical information needed to achieve our goals," suggests The Analog Affair. "Sentient Therseis, what are your preferred rules of engagement with these scavengers? We do not wish to cause a diplomatic incident if we kill them or otherwise harm them."

Acquisitives

Male CG Morlamaw Space Pirate Spy Operative 2 | SP 14/14 HP 16/16 | RP 5/5 | EAC 17, KAC 18 | Fort +2; Ref +7; Will +2 | Init: +5 | Perc: +5, SM: +5 | Speed 20ft Swim 40 ft | Reroll: 1/1 | Active conditions: None.

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9

"I agree that the observation tower should be the priority due to the advantage it can provide and the fact that we don't want the scavengers making off with any potential finds. However, if we are going on foot there's no harm in stopping by the market along the way."


The Protectorate Petition Maps

"We have no conveyances with us that would aid you in exploring the city. The gravitational shifts make using ships too erratic," explains Therseis to the party. "There are the remains of vehicles at the transport station, but they were meant for intercity travel even if they were still operable."

"While the scale of the city seems vast, it is likely, if your experiences mirror our own, that travel time will be less than research. If you need assistance with anything you need transported back to the camp, you can alert us through our communication system or return here to rest as you desire." They direct toward a portion of the conference room with seating and cushions alongside a refrigeration unit.

The Analog Affair-12 wrote:
"Sentient Therseis, what are your preferred rules of engagement with these scavengers? We do not wish to cause a diplomatic incident if we kill them or otherwise harm them."[/b]

"And I wouldn't want to encourage you to do so. I hesitate to offer advice in any case as i do not know how hostile their intentions are and what danger that would put you in. I will leave it to your best judgement. If you are forced into any conflicts anywhere within the city I only ask that you try to expedite any conflicts you are forced into. The longer any battle goes on within the ruins, the more likely something will be irreparably damaged."

She takes a moment to provide you small computers to serve as mobile translators for your time here. "I will remain in contact with you as we continue our own research."


The Protectorate Petition Maps

On the map are listed the three locations the copaxi researchers were able to explore and report as safe as well as the four other locations each had some danger or hazard that barred the researchers. For the moment the party seems to be heading northward, stopping to inspect the market on the way.

The market is an open area with scattered debris and abandoned stalls. There are scorch marks, ash, and burnt-out structures all describing a fire that devastated the area long ago. There is nothing of immediate and apparent value left out in the open in the destroyed market. Anything else of apparent worth seems to have been looted long ago.

DC 13 Perception:
Most of the shops dealt primarily in art, jewelry, statues, or other decorative objects. There is little of value you find among the ruins, but some of the remnants of objects display copaxis flying, summoning flame, and other magical acts.

During the search you find a few metal coins among the stalls scattered throughout. They are in various sizes and colors but the major markings are the same on each. On one side of the coins are the image of a floating city and on the reverse is a copaxi face with the copaxi words "We Few Above All" surrounding it.

DC 16 Culture or Profession (merchant):
Even accounting for the damage, there is no other sign that the copaxis used physical currency here within the market. There are no system of weights and measures, no lock-boxes or stashes of currency, and no records of monetary transactions.

DC 16 Physical Science:
These coins are far newer than the surrounding market ruins. They were cast within the last five years based on their lack of weathering and patina.

Wayfinders

Male N Halfling Field medic Envoy 1 | SP 7/7 HP 8/8 | RP 5/5 | EAC 14 KAC 15 | Fort +1; Ref +5; Will +3 | Init: +2 | Perc: +2, SM: +4 (+bonus) | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: Sneaky.

Perception: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6

Culture: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9

Even if the copaxis told them that the market was desert, the Halfling remains on his guard not to be caught off guard by something coming. On the other hand he tries to find out scientific clues of activities in this site. But he's more skilled to talk than to search.

Acquisitives

M Android Soldier 4 | (SP 32/32, HP 32/32, RP 5/5; EAC 16, KAC 17; F +5, R +4, W +5; Init +3, LLV, DV60'; [dice=Squad m gun, burning]1d20+7[/dice] [dice=dmg]1d10+6[/dice] [dice=BLAM! BLAM! ]1d20+9[/dice] [dice=Dmg]1d6+6[/dice]

Perception: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 2 = 11

"I'll take point," says The Analog Affair.

Acquisitives

Male CG Morlamaw Space Pirate Spy Operative 2 | SP 14/14 HP 16/16 | RP 5/5 | EAC 17, KAC 18 | Fort +2; Ref +7; Will +2 | Init: +5 | Perc: +5, SM: +5 | Speed 20ft Swim 40 ft | Reroll: 1/1 | Active conditions: None.

Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15

Tiberius keeps an eye out for any threats that may have migrated to the market since the Copaxi scouted it out.

Culture: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14

"Well there doesn't seem to be anything of much interest here." he says examining the coins. "But the motto on the coins and the artistic depictions of the ancient Copaxi do at least match up with what Therseis told us. Everyone ready to check out the tower?"

Wayfinders

M Kasatha Bio-Hacker (Geneticist)/1 (Outlaw) | SP 7/7 HP 10/10 | RP 4/4 | 15 EAC ; 16 KAC | 23 CMD (KAC+8) Fort +4; Ref +6; Will +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +7, SM: +3 | Speed 30ft | | Biohacks: 4/4 | Active conditions: None.

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20
culture: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (1) + 9 = 10
physical science, take 10: 10 + 8 = 18

Taerem leaves the strange interaction with the Copaxi behind without much further thought. Entering the market place, they shift their rifle to rest in the lower two arms as they search in case the scavengers have ventured out. Examining the ruins they find the same evidence as Tiberius, displaying the ancient Copaxi engaging in casual magic.

"You appear to be correct Captain, however there is something off with these coins." Taerem mentions as they perform a scan. "Whilst they look correct they are in fact more recent fabrications - look they lack the weathering one would assume with age."

Wayfinders

"Helios-4" Male N Android Technomancer 2 (Ace Pilot) | SP 12/12 ; HP 13/14 ; RP 4/5 | EAC 15 ; KAC 15 | Ft +1 ; Rf +2 ; Wi +3 | Init. +2 ; Perc. +2; SM. -2 | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: None. |
bot:
[dice=Attack, Azimuth Laser Rifle]1d20+3[/dice][dice=Damage, F]1d8[/dice]

Perception: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 1 = 12
Culture: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15
Physical Science, Take 10: 10 + 9 = 19

Helios takes a coin and examines it closely.
"Right, Taerem. That's weird." The android takes a coin and puts it in his pocket. "For future reference", he adds.

He turns towards the empty stalls and examines them for a while. Suddenly, he extends his arms, and his circuits start glowing blue with energy.

Cast Detect Magic


The Protectorate Petition Maps

Giving a more thorough investigation does indicate the the city is has no sign of major recent disturbance, although the passage of research team prior to you is evident, other signs of travel have been worn away by time and the passage of local fauna.

Mysticism: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18

Using magic to scan the stalls, Helios detects trace remnants of magical resonance within a few of the tools and art pieces. No meaningful traces remain but there are clear indications that magic was weaved into the construction of some of the works.

As you are exploring the markets you do get a comm from Therseis with them ensuring that everything is moving forward as well as confirming that their comm links to your systems is working properly within the city itself.

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to do here. As well where would the party wish to head next; to the observation tower?

Wayfinders

"Helios-4" Male N Android Technomancer 2 (Ace Pilot) | SP 12/12 ; HP 13/14 ; RP 4/5 | EAC 15 ; KAC 15 | Ft +1 ; Rf +2 ; Wi +3 | Init. +2 ; Perc. +2; SM. -2 | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: None. |
bot:
[dice=Attack, Azimuth Laser Rifle]1d20+3[/dice][dice=Damage, F]1d8[/dice]

Helios shares his findings with the rest of the group.

"Seems that the Copaxi here used magic, just as Therseis said."

"Unless someone wants to look for something else, I suggest we go to the observation tower."

Wayfinders

M Kasatha Bio-Hacker (Geneticist)/1 (Outlaw) | SP 7/7 HP 10/10 | RP 4/4 | 15 EAC ; 16 KAC | 23 CMD (KAC+8) Fort +4; Ref +6; Will +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +7, SM: +3 | Speed 30ft | | Biohacks: 4/4 | Active conditions: None.

Pocketing some of the coins for their own reports, Taerem nods and moves out of the ruined shops. "Agreed, let us move on. Hopefully these Scavengers won't be foolish enough to attack." they say gruffly as they move through the broken and abandoned city, eyes peeled as their Arachnid clambers along, taking samples of the air and ground.

Wayfinders

Male N Halfling Field medic Envoy 1 | SP 7/7 HP 8/8 | RP 5/5 | EAC 14 KAC 15 | Fort +1; Ref +5; Will +3 | Init: +2 | Perc: +2, SM: +4 (+bonus) | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: Sneaky.

The Halfling is not reassured to go to a place where it was said that an horrible beast lurks. That's also quite a bit particular if you think a bit about it and a bit scaring. Well he will stay on his guards and pay attention to the surround.


The Protectorate Petition Maps

Perception:

Floquet Zukhet: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 2 = 13
Analog Affair-12: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6
Taerem: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11
Helios-4: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 1 = 19
Tiberius: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8
1: 1d20 ⇒ 12
2: 1d20 ⇒ 4

The party heads to within a few hundred feet of the city's edge. Here there are a cluster of ruined buildings surrounding a 40 foot observation tower. Only the building below the tower is cabable of offering any protection against the icy winds. Even so, the building is in poor repair with several collapses in the outer wall and completely absent a roof.

Still there are signs of a camp within that building and pair of copaxi inside. They quiet and take cover sensing the party's approach. Their hands ready on semi-auto pistols with familiar branding from Pact Worlds on the weapons.

How does the party wish to do?
Map on slide 1 of Maps

Acquisitives

Male CG Morlamaw Space Pirate Spy Operative 2 | SP 14/14 HP 16/16 | RP 5/5 | EAC 17, KAC 18 | Fort +2; Ref +7; Will +2 | Init: +5 | Perc: +5, SM: +5 | Speed 20ft Swim 40 ft | Reroll: 1/1 | Active conditions: None.

"Let's see if we can't handle this non-violently." Tiberius whispers to his comrades.

Approaching slowly, Tiberius attempts to calm the Copaxi by emulating the greeting they used with the researchers. Flippers out he stops a short distance from the pair and spins in a slow circle as he addresses them, "No need for guns. We're just here to learn about your people. If you'll let us look around and answer a few questions we can avoid any unpleasantness."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 18

Wayfinders

"Helios-4" Male N Android Technomancer 2 (Ace Pilot) | SP 12/12 ; HP 13/14 ; RP 4/5 | EAC 15 ; KAC 15 | Ft +1 ; Rf +2 ; Wi +3 | Init. +2 ; Perc. +2; SM. -2 | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: None. |
bot:
[dice=Attack, Azimuth Laser Rifle]1d20+3[/dice][dice=Damage, F]1d8[/dice]

Helios approaches carefully, eyeing the two Copaxi taking shelter in the building. As the group closes on them, he looks at the observation tower, trying to evaluate its state and the time they would need to climb it.

"Gonna be bloody hard to climb that with the wind." he says, frowning.

Then, he imitates Tiberius and replicates the Copaxi greeting.

Acquisitives

M Android Soldier 4 | (SP 32/32, HP 32/32, RP 5/5; EAC 16, KAC 17; F +5, R +4, W +5; Init +3, LLV, DV60'; [dice=Squad m gun, burning]1d20+7[/dice] [dice=dmg]1d10+6[/dice] [dice=BLAM! BLAM! ]1d20+9[/dice] [dice=Dmg]1d6+6[/dice]

The Analog Affair steps forward, ready. While his Zeizerer X-500 squad machine gun is in his hands, he remains careful not to do anything threatening.

He smiles a big, doofy grin, hoping that it will appear unthreatening. But spinning around with his hands out like the others is a breach of mission protection procedures too far.

Wayfinders

Male N Halfling Field medic Envoy 1 | SP 7/7 HP 8/8 | RP 5/5 | EAC 14 KAC 15 | Fort +1; Ref +5; Will +3 | Init: +2 | Perc: +2, SM: +4 (+bonus) | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: Sneaky.

The Halfling shows the copaxi greetings ostensibly.

They won't shot. They won't shot. They won't shot. No no, they cannot shot if we are greeting. They won't shot. They won't shot.

It's difficult to be on the wild ground. That's the first time also. Hopefully they won't shot.

The new Starfinder would have said something but he thinks that Tiberius did the job.


The Protectorate Petition Maps

The pair give a careful glance from Tiberius over over the heavy weapon held by the Analog Affair before responding back in heavily accented, and slang filled, Common, "Well don't know about you lot, but guns do help one make a position out in life. However you seem to have mistaken us for tour guides for your day trip then?"

The other one interjects, "At least mistaken if you 'pecting us to do the work for free."

The other takes a moment before aligning themselves with their companion. "Right, we come here to get rich and have a one slamming story to tell. Answering your Q and A don't do either for us."

"See, we have been out on hard times here, and you seem to be doing all well for yourselves unlike us and many of our kin below. We are able to come to an agreement for solve both your questions and our lack of funds. What are you looking for here or you just looking ofr our life story?"

Acquisitives

M Android Soldier 4 | (SP 32/32, HP 32/32, RP 5/5; EAC 16, KAC 17; F +5, R +4, W +5; Init +3, LLV, DV60'; [dice=Squad m gun, burning]1d20+7[/dice] [dice=dmg]1d10+6[/dice] [dice=BLAM! BLAM! ]1d20+9[/dice] [dice=Dmg]1d6+6[/dice]

"My kind of people," says The Analog Affair. "They have information. We have valuables. Trade is in order."

When he says "we have valuables" The Analog Affair grips his weapon more tightly and gently moves the muzzle around closer to the two copaxi. The weapon, however, still remains pointed downwards.

"Friends don't steal each other's things. We can all be friends, yes?"

Wayfinders

Male N Halfling Field medic Envoy 1 | SP 7/7 HP 8/8 | RP 5/5 | EAC 14 KAC 15 | Fort +1; Ref +5; Will +3 | Init: +2 | Perc: +2, SM: +4 (+bonus) | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: Sneaky.

Diplomacy, insight bonus: 1d20 + 8 + 1d6 ⇒ (20) + 8 + (2) = 30

Then the Halfling comes more forward when he hears that the guys want to deal what is public.

Excuse me but what we're doing is a public service for the copaxis government and the copaxis in their whole, for all generations. You should understand that there is no place for a deal in these circumstances. We are not here to get rich but to discover things which will be useful for your people and yourself soon or later.

Wayfinders

M Kasatha Bio-Hacker (Geneticist)/1 (Outlaw) | SP 7/7 HP 10/10 | RP 4/4 | 15 EAC ; 16 KAC | 23 CMD (KAC+8) Fort +4; Ref +6; Will +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +7, SM: +3 | Speed 30ft | | Biohacks: 4/4 | Active conditions: None.

Holding back from the conversation, Taerem keeps a wary eye on the Copaxi scavengers and to ensure that no others are seeking to take advantage of a distraction and coming round the side of the building. Interesting that these people know the common trade tongue and have our weaponry... they ponder silently, trying to work out exactly is going on here.

Wayfinders

"Helios-4" Male N Android Technomancer 2 (Ace Pilot) | SP 12/12 ; HP 13/14 ; RP 4/5 | EAC 15 ; KAC 15 | Ft +1 ; Rf +2 ; Wi +3 | Init. +2 ; Perc. +2; SM. -2 | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: None. |
bot:
[dice=Attack, Azimuth Laser Rifle]1d20+3[/dice][dice=Damage, F]1d8[/dice]

Helios chuckles. "Bloody vultures." he mutters under his breath with a grin. "Gotta respect that boldness, but if guns really do make one's position they should be putting theirs down before we use ours."

Helios raises an eyebrow at Floquet's speech and speaks very softly as to not be heard by the Copaxi. "Very eloquent, though I dunno if they'll buy that. I'm with Analog on this one; no doubt that the Society would be happy to pay a few hundred creds to shut their yaps if it helps us avoid bloodshed." He frowns. "I, for one, would like to know what's up with that weaponry of theirs, and the fact that they speak a pretty damn good common."


The Protectorate Petition Maps

The bristle a bit at Analog Affair's motion and respond, "you can keep what is yours and we can keep what is ours. Seems more than fair to us friend."

Floquet Zukhet wrote:
"Excuse me but what we're doing is a public service for the copaxis government and the copaxis in their whole, for all generations. You should understand that there is no place for a deal in these circumstances. We are not here to get rich but to discover things which will be useful for your people and yourself soon or later."

"You should hold yourself up a cycle. We have heard this story before about doing good for all copaxi and it is a load of Dispora-junk." Despite the indignation coming from the copaxi, it doesn't seem directed toward the Floquet or the rest of the party. "Every time someone says it is for the good of all, they really mean it is for the good for those that already have it good. I've seen those at the factory who got sick try your sweet kinda words to the bosses, doctors, and landlords. They don't work well on them. They all want to get paid."

Waving with open arms around the area the copaxi declares, "we are the only ones asked to sacrifice for the sake of everyone. We have tried that and only seek our bosses grow a few more floors out on their mansions. All the while the scraps we are working with get smaller every solar cycle as the factories grow, our own space shrinks"

"We will let you go about and search around all you want, but if you want what we have then you will need to pay cause we don't plan to see if this the help you find here comes to us before we are long dead. We already have a route off this planet and a start to a new life, but we aren't going to get that for free, so we ain't giving anything for free either."

The two take a moment throwing out numbers. They glance at both the heavy weapon and Floquet as those numbers come down lower to a minimal value. "50 credits for what we have. Will more than cover us for our own labor so far. What do the judges say?"

Acquisitives

Male CG Morlamaw Space Pirate Spy Operative 2 | SP 14/14 HP 16/16 | RP 5/5 | EAC 17, KAC 18 | Fort +2; Ref +7; Will +2 | Init: +5 | Perc: +5, SM: +5 | Speed 20ft Swim 40 ft | Reroll: 1/1 | Active conditions: None.

Tiberius' smile continues to grow. "Sounds like a very reasonable price. Very reasonable, but, you say you need the funds to get off planet. Why not make a more directly beneficial deal? How 'bout you give us what you've found and answer any questions we might have about this magnificent city and we take you with us when we leave. How'd you like to see Absalom Station? I recently made a similar deal when off-worlders visited my home planet and things worked out great!"

Bluff: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (5) + 12 = 17


The Protectorate Petition Maps

The second copaxi dismisses the idea with a idea with a wave of the hand, "been around long enough to know that if there is an offer of something for nothing, then there is some catch ready to spring up. From what I've seen from the Pact Worlds; that much is the same out there. If you aren't willing to pay even that much, we might want to find a person to pawn it off to."

The other bristles with more indignation as they push back in this barter, "I've been offered more than enough helping hands and been dropped by most of them along the way. I trust in the weight of creds more than any stranger. Might take a bit longer, but will give us enough creds to start our life out right and not in the debt of anyone."

Acquisitives

Male CG Morlamaw Space Pirate Spy Operative 2 | SP 14/14 HP 16/16 | RP 5/5 | EAC 17, KAC 18 | Fort +2; Ref +7; Will +2 | Init: +5 | Perc: +5, SM: +5 | Speed 20ft Swim 40 ft | Reroll: 1/1 | Active conditions: None.

"Now hold on there. Never said I wasn't willing to pay. As you'll recall I said the price was very reasonable. Just thought you'd value the transportation more. If you've got your hearts set on credits then credits it is. Here ya go." Tiberius extends a flipper with 50 credits in his hand. "Now what have you got to offer in return?"


The Protectorate Petition Maps

Seeing the credstick in hand second copaxi withdraws a bundle from under a pile of rubble. Pulling open the wrapping they reveal a pair of items: a long powered ranged weapon with a wide opening for at the end of the gun and a sealed metal container measuring about foot on each side.

With the reveal they make the exchange, "you said you had questions, you paid your due and we are willing to answer what you have."

Engineering DC 11 to Identify Weapon:
This is an old but still functional implementation of a nonlethal sonic weapon that is similar to a shout rifle in some use in and outside the Pact Worlds.

The container doesn't have any locking mechanism and offers little resistance to being opened. Inside is a journal filled with Copaxi writing that has deteriorated over the years as minor elements of the Copaxi text are reported as unclear. The translation system still grants a great aid to the translation effort, but will require some work to provide an accurate reading.

Culture DC 15 to translate:
This was a scientific station of a sort in service to the city's (Tabantria) magical aristocracy. The observations are on the plants resources, both natural and magical, with a large emphasis on the gravity manipulating coral-like organism you detected from orbit that they called copi. The notes expand significantly on the efforts to cultivate copi to allow object, including cities, to float high above the planet's surface.

Among the last pages of the journal the scientific analysis and notes change to a personal accounting by the author.

Three other members of my team have heard the the Signal from the out reaches of space. Calling and informing some mechanism to travel through the stars at a pace that we would have thought impossible. Not just my own, but many across the cities have heard the voice and were clamoring for us to take to the sky and follow this siren's call. While their initial pleas were rebuked, some attempted a coup and take control of the government. All who have heard this call have been executed including on those on my own team. I alerted the authorities to them and I would do again without hesitation. If this "Drift" technology were to be implemented and spread throughout our planet, it would cause a rapid, damaging, and irreversible industrilization of our world. It would ultimately lead to what the instigators intended and a violent upturning of the status quo. Even still I suspect these action have only delayed the conflict rather than put a stop to it. The Signal can not possibly be passed off a "Message of Madness" forever.

Wayfinders

Male N Halfling Field medic Envoy 1 | SP 7/7 HP 8/8 | RP 5/5 | EAC 14 KAC 15 | Fort +1; Ref +5; Will +3 | Init: +2 | Perc: +2, SM: +4 (+bonus) | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: Sneaky.

The Halfling let the others deals with the two Copaxis as he's sure he could have managed to get the thing for free with his speaking if the two hadn't see the heavy weapons. But he's here to try to find out interesting things. So let's go.

He tries first to understand how the weapon works.

Engineering: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10

Then to understand the journal in Copaxi writing.

Culture: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8

and there is no reroll in Starfinder...

Wayfinders

"Helios-4" Male N Android Technomancer 2 (Ace Pilot) | SP 12/12 ; HP 13/14 ; RP 4/5 | EAC 15 ; KAC 15 | Ft +1 ; Rf +2 ; Wi +3 | Init. +2 ; Perc. +2; SM. -2 | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: None. |
bot:
[dice=Attack, Azimuth Laser Rifle]1d20+3[/dice][dice=Damage, F]1d8[/dice]

Engineering DC11: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (14) + 9 = 23 spoiler opened

"Wow" exclaims Helios, examining the weapon handed over by the Copaxi. "Haven't seen that in a long time. It looks like an old shout rifle, ya know, the kind that they use in protests that looks like a big megaphone."

Culture DC15: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7
Helios then takes a quick look at the journal, but despite his efforts, he is unable to make sense of the writings.

He then takes a pulsecaster pistol from his belt, pushes a spare battery into the socket, and squats to send the gun sliding next to the Copaxi's feet.
"I'm curious about your weapons. As a token of good faith, I've sent you a fully functional pistol." The android shrugs. "Test it if you want. In return, I just want you to lend me your own pistol so I can take a look at it for a minute. Don't worry, I won't break it or shoot."
Diplomacy: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (19) - 1 = 18

Acquisitives

Male CG Morlamaw Space Pirate Spy Operative 2 | SP 14/14 HP 16/16 | RP 5/5 | EAC 17, KAC 18 | Fort +2; Ref +7; Will +2 | Init: +5 | Perc: +5, SM: +5 | Speed 20ft Swim 40 ft | Reroll: 1/1 | Active conditions: None.

Culture: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19

Tiberius takes a moment to look over the journal. "Interesting. It sounds like a disagreement over the discovery of Drift travel may be what caused the downfall of the Copaxi who inhabited these cities."

After sharing his findings he turns to the Copaxi. "What do the two of you know about Tibantria and its original inhabitants?"

Wayfinders

M Kasatha Bio-Hacker (Geneticist)/1 (Outlaw) | SP 7/7 HP 10/10 | RP 4/4 | 15 EAC ; 16 KAC | 23 CMD (KAC+8) Fort +4; Ref +6; Will +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +7, SM: +3 | Speed 30ft | | Biohacks: 4/4 | Active conditions: None.

culture: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (12) + 9 = 21

Uninterested with the conversation ongoing with the Copaxi hicks, Taerem crouches down to examine the crate given over to the Starfinders with interest, readily absorbing the information provided and reading the odd recording from an unknown scientist. 'The Signal'? Are they talking about Triune's message - they must be with talking about Drift tech. [i]Something here is more nefarious than it seems - a conspiracy or something darker?

With nothing more than questions, Taerem waits for the other agents to get their information from the Copaxis so they can leave them behind.


The Protectorate Petition Maps

Seeing Helio's offering the weapon one, named Peritan, thinks about the offer for a moment before drawing their own weapon from a sheath and tossing it over to Helios. They grumble in disappointment giving an inspection of the weapon, "one of those stun weapons. I was hoping for something from the Pact with a bit more power, not something to lull someone to sleep." Even as they vocalize disdain, they seem interested in the weapon as they unleash a charged shot into the wall.

Examining the weapon they tossed to Helios, the design is clear that the weapon was constructed in the Pact Worlds. It is only a simple automatic pistol, but still uses modern components in the construction that date it to some time within the last decade at the very least.

Meanwhile the other copaxi, Grimolo, answers Tibrius. "Just the stories that passed in school and retelling of the stories. Far beyond my time and anyone I ever met, unless one of you are are from the old days. The people in the cities were the rulers of the world generations ago. They used their magical power and flaunted it, do so long enough the gods looked down and decided to deal out some proper punishment. Certainly kept most from wanting to follow on their steps and play with magic. Still doesn't much change how it worked now. Instead of magical lords we just have non-magical lords now."

Wayfinders

Male N Halfling Field medic Envoy 1 | SP 7/7 HP 8/8 | RP 5/5 | EAC 14 KAC 15 | Fort +1; Ref +5; Will +3 | Init: +2 | Perc: +2, SM: +4 (+bonus) | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: Sneaky.

The Halfling shows himself interested in what the Copaxi said.

That's a short and disappointing story that you told now. But I'm confident that things can evolve. For all in the Pact Worlds. There is no law which says that things are remaining for all the time. Things are changing, always. But the change must be perceived and you must formalize on this change to let it make the future. Well that's perhaps only words for you, but I can ensure you that it would be the case, if simply something happens. And you are perhaps the ones who are letting this thing happen right now.

Wayfinders

"Helios-4" Male N Android Technomancer 2 (Ace Pilot) | SP 12/12 ; HP 13/14 ; RP 4/5 | EAC 15 ; KAC 15 | Ft +1 ; Rf +2 ; Wi +3 | Init. +2 ; Perc. +2; SM. -2 | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: None. |
bot:
[dice=Attack, Azimuth Laser Rifle]1d20+3[/dice][dice=Damage, F]1d8[/dice]

Puzzled, Helios forages into a pocket of his cargo pants, whips out a packet of bubblegum and begins chewing vigorously. He slowly turns the weapon in his hands and inspects the markings.

"Ibra be damned, that's a Pact World weapon. I get the feeling Therseis and the other Copaxi folks haven't told us everything."

If others want to inspect the weapon, he hands it over, before tossing it back to the Copaxi, waiting for his own pulsecaster to return.

Something isn't right. They clearly have been in contact with other Pact Worlds visitors, directly or indirectly. Either the Stewards have withdrawn information, which seems unlikely, or it's the Copaxi that are keeping something from us.

"How d'ya get those weapons? Do you deal with Pact World species or have met other peeps from the Pact World before? And how come your common is so good? How d'ya learn it?"


The Protectorate Petition Maps
Floquet Zukhet wrote:
That's a short and disappointing story that you told now. But I'm confident that things can evolve. For all in the Pact Worlds. There is no law which says that things are remaining for all the time. Things are changing, always. But the change must be perceived and you must formalize on this change to let it make the future. Well that's perhaps only words for you, but I can ensure you that it would be the case, if simply something happens. And you are perhaps the ones who are letting this thing happen right now.

"We have heard people from power say we have only what we have because a lack of conviction or desire," responds Grimolo. "That is a load of space-junk. We have pushed ourselves hard to try to just scrape out a living. We have seen others push themselves harder and get crushed under that weight only for no reward. If there is a chance to change we don't see it here and rather try to make it ourselves in the Pact rather than wait this out or give it another chance."

Helios-4 wrote:
"How d'ya get those weapons? Do you deal with Pact World species or have met other peeps from the Pact World before? And how come your common is so good? How d'ya learn it?"

With Peritan's waning interest he returns the pulcecaster as he retrieves his own gun, "Plenty of traders have been coming by through the Pact once we got ports going. Most sell directly the government, but I know a few people who can make deals happen and I got the weapons through them. Like the look of them, got a particular style."

"As for the Common, probably same as you. Once the government got in contact with the lot of those in space we have been getting a lot of our stories. Just learned it by watching those for the last cycle or so. Other people were learning it, so I wasn't going to be the one behind the times."

-

As you ask questions you get a message in from Therseis checking in again after a few dozen minutes, "Confirming status with you Starfinders. I wanted to check in to see to your safety as well as to see if you are in need of any resources."

Wayfinders

"Helios-4" Male N Android Technomancer 2 (Ace Pilot) | SP 12/12 ; HP 13/14 ; RP 4/5 | EAC 15 ; KAC 15 | Ft +1 ; Rf +2 ; Wi +3 | Init. +2 ; Perc. +2; SM. -2 | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: None. |
bot:
[dice=Attack, Azimuth Laser Rifle]1d20+3[/dice][dice=Damage, F]1d8[/dice]

Helios seems impressed at the Copaxi's answer.

"You learn hella fast then... To have gained such a good common in so little time." He shakes his head. "Maybe I'm reading too much into this. Still, looks like commerce on this planet developed lightning quick, if they say they got in contact about a cycle ago."

The technomancer points upwards at the tower. "Anything we should expect going up there?"

Acquisitives

Male CG Morlamaw Space Pirate Spy Operative 2 | SP 14/14 HP 16/16 | RP 5/5 | EAC 17, KAC 18 | Fort +2; Ref +7; Will +2 | Init: +5 | Perc: +5, SM: +5 | Speed 20ft Swim 40 ft | Reroll: 1/1 | Active conditions: None.

While Helios talks with the pair of Copaxi scavengers Tiberius steps off to the side and replies to Therseis. "Thanks for checking in, Therseis! We're doing fine so far. We were able to negotiate with the Copaxi scavenging at the Observation Tower. They found an old journal that seems to indicate that the troubles amongst the citizens of Tibantria stemmed from a disagreement over a signal sharing the secrets of drift travel. Have you or your team made any discoveries related to the drift message?"

Wayfinders

Male N Halfling Field medic Envoy 1 | SP 7/7 HP 8/8 | RP 5/5 | EAC 14 KAC 15 | Fort +1; Ref +5; Will +3 | Init: +2 | Perc: +2, SM: +4 (+bonus) | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: Sneaky.

They advance in the investigation. That's fine. And Therseis asks for questions. That's a good thing to manage the interaction between the Starfinders and the Copaxis. It's also part of the mission.

Greetings, Therseis. We are almost finished here. I'm so sorry that the scavengers cant imagine that something can help them for a better life. They should have suffer a lot. We managed to avoid the fight against them and that's a chance.


The Protectorate Petition Maps
Helios-4 wrote:

Helios seems impressed at the Copaxi's answer.

"You learn hella fast then... To have gained such a good common in so little time." He shakes his head. "Maybe I'm reading too much into this. Still, looks like commerce on this planet developed lightning quick, if they say they got in contact about a cycle ago."

The technomancer points upwards at the tower. "Anything we should expect going up there?"

"Didn't seem fast, saw you had a lot of languages in your Pact World's colonies. Doesn't make sense to have so many if they take that long to learn." They dismiss the idea of their speed of learning to address the economy. "A bit longer than that and you make it sound as though space trade is flowing though the world. The more powerful get more access. My Pact World's access is only through my contacts. Not like everyone has what we have managed to scrape together."

"Nothing from below to top, a bit of a wreck in there. We took anything we could already from in there," they say directing toward the journal's container. "Will see if other buildings have a bit more to scrounge up."

-

Therseis responds in to Tiberius and Floquet, "I commend your efforts there. While as a government representative I can't support their actions, it is true that the message as we industrialized our world was that all would have a better life, a significant portion of the population has been left behind."

"As for what you found on the drift message, it does not match what is on government record. There hadn't been any translation of the drift message until recently and our historical records describe that the signal has been incomprehensible prior to that. This is a ... I mean ...," Therseis struggles a bit to find a response to this discovery. After a few more moments of thought they continue, "The ... government stance would be that this record you found is faulty in some fashion. Possibly due to a malfunction within the translation. I think ..." They halt themselves as they hold themselves back from giving their own interpretation. "More evidence on this matter is certain to aid the matter. I encourage you to continue your investigation."

-

The tower is a ruined husk with small containers that were host to samples. They are cracked and broken with nothing surviving within to this day. There isn't much else in the tower aside from tables mounted to the wall and a floor mounted stationary telescope. While damaged the telescope is still functional and gives a good view of the a similar to your own city in the distance. Unlike the city you are on, that city is sundered into hundreds of pieces that move around in a floating spiral. Below is the planet far below giving a view of the planet if one wished to investigate.

Following this area, which area would the party like to go to?

Wayfinders

Male N Halfling Field medic Envoy 1 | SP 7/7 HP 8/8 | RP 5/5 | EAC 14 KAC 15 | Fort +1; Ref +5; Will +3 | Init: +2 | Perc: +2, SM: +4 (+bonus) | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: Sneaky.

The Halfling will leave the scavengers with polite words.

I would say 7

Wayfinders

"Helios-4" Male N Android Technomancer 2 (Ace Pilot) | SP 12/12 ; HP 13/14 ; RP 4/5 | EAC 15 ; KAC 15 | Ft +1 ; Rf +2 ; Wi +3 | Init. +2 ; Perc. +2; SM. -2 | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: None. |
bot:
[dice=Attack, Azimuth Laser Rifle]1d20+3[/dice][dice=Damage, F]1d8[/dice]

Helios listens to the answer given by the Copaxi, thoughtfully blowing a bubble of gum.
"Yeah, shoulda guessed that everyone that can fly a damned merchant ship in the Pact would be trying to pry off the creds from your hands soon as they heard you even existed. Thanks for the talk." He waves dismissively and turns to the rest of the party, hearing the ongoing discussion with Therseis.

When the call is over, he looks at the others. "Care to enlighten me as to what the journal said exactly? Wassup with the Drift now?"

**Before leaving**

Helios stands at the edge of the floating city, hands in his pockets and looking down at the planet. He kicks a few pebbles into the sky below, still chewing gum pensively. The android begins speaking without turning away from the horizon:
"If y'ask me, the academy might be where we get the most answers, 'ssuming it's still intact. Might as well pass by the headaches playground since it's on the way."

7 works for me too

Acquisitives

M Android Soldier 4 | (SP 32/32, HP 32/32, RP 5/5; EAC 16, KAC 17; F +5, R +4, W +5; Init +3, LLV, DV60'; [dice=Squad m gun, burning]1d20+7[/dice] [dice=dmg]1d10+6[/dice] [dice=BLAM! BLAM! ]1d20+9[/dice] [dice=Dmg]1d6+6[/dice]

Let's hit the academy.

Acquisitives

Male CG Morlamaw Space Pirate Spy Operative 2 | SP 14/14 HP 16/16 | RP 5/5 | EAC 17, KAC 18 | Fort +2; Ref +7; Will +2 | Init: +5 | Perc: +5, SM: +5 | Speed 20ft Swim 40 ft | Reroll: 1/1 | Active conditions: None.

"Well lads it looks like the arena is next up if we continue our path. I am NOT looking forward to these headaches, but let's get this over with."


The Protectorate Petition Maps

Will proceed with arena first and move forward the general Academy area.

Unlike what the copaxi describe, none of you experience any the same symptoms they described as you approach the open air arena. Nearby you see university buildings and dorms in states of disrepair. As you move into the arena, you see a faded mural at the entrance depicting about a dozen copaxis flying among black spheres. Some of them carry short rods while wothers pass fist-sized cubes to one another. Inside, around the central field, are tiered seating areas arrayed around the arena. While there is detritus in the outer stands, the lower seating is clear, but not the air within the arena.

There are ten floating black spheres within the center of the arena. They float in erratic patterns throughout the air as they debris orbits them. Among the items are weapons, books, and other paraphernalia, that is caught and pulled by the invisible forces the orbs seem to be manipulating. It is difficult to determine much about them as they fly about the arena.

As you test closer, the spheres threaten to draw you in closer into the gravitational field as well. It might be possible for someone to slowly navigate through these fields, but it would be an display of physical ability to do so.

If one wished to physically navigate into and through the aerial gravitational fields, it would require a Athletics or Acrobatics check. Others can also aid any check with the skill or with a Physical Science check to aid with an analysis of the gravity. Other more ability ore equipment specific techniques may be viable.

Acquisitives

M Android Soldier 4 | (SP 32/32, HP 32/32, RP 5/5; EAC 16, KAC 17; F +5, R +4, W +5; Init +3, LLV, DV60'; [dice=Squad m gun, burning]1d20+7[/dice] [dice=dmg]1d10+6[/dice] [dice=BLAM! BLAM! ]1d20+9[/dice] [dice=Dmg]1d6+6[/dice]

"Those artifacts, caught in the maelstrom, can be useful, I think," says The Analog Affair. "Let me retrieve them."

Acrobatics: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (16) + 9 = 25

Acquisitives

Male CG Morlamaw Space Pirate Spy Operative 2 | SP 14/14 HP 16/16 | RP 5/5 | EAC 17, KAC 18 | Fort +2; Ref +7; Will +2 | Init: +5 | Perc: +5, SM: +5 | Speed 20ft Swim 40 ft | Reroll: 1/1 | Active conditions: None.

"Ha! Looks like fun. I'll help fetch 'em!" says Tiberius as he chases after The Analog Affair and launches his bulk into the air.

Acrobatics: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (11) + 9 = 20

Wayfinders

Male N Halfling Field medic Envoy 1 | SP 7/7 HP 8/8 | RP 5/5 | EAC 14 KAC 15 | Fort +1; Ref +5; Will +3 | Init: +2 | Perc: +2, SM: +4 (+bonus) | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: Sneaky.

More this way. No on this side. Higher, higher!

The Halfling tries to help from outside.

Acrobatics: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14

Wayfinders

"Helios-4" Male N Android Technomancer 2 (Ace Pilot) | SP 12/12 ; HP 13/14 ; RP 4/5 | EAC 15 ; KAC 15 | Ft +1 ; Rf +2 ; Wi +3 | Init. +2 ; Perc. +2; SM. -2 | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: None. |
bot:
[dice=Attack, Azimuth Laser Rifle]1d20+3[/dice][dice=Damage, F]1d8[/dice]

Helios seems impressed by the floating spheres, although he keeps his hands in his pockets and walks nonchalantly. When Analog and Tiberius jump to fetch the artifacts, the android takes a datapad from his backpack and begins assisting his teammates from the ground.

"Careful there, Tibs. Bit to your left. Got it. Analog, there's a gravity well straight ahead."

Physical Science: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (20) + 9 = 29

51 to 100 of 264 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Blazej's The Protectorate Petition [Outpost III] All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.