Death-Lok's Hoard of the Dragon Queen PbP

Game Master Death-Lok


251 to 300 of 303 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>

Ziyad wrote:
Did the illusions seem to have any effect?

What illusion spells? You and Q posted you were thinking about casting them but eventually, you settled on trying to give advantage with a light spell across its eyes and Q's firebolt, both of which missed. I never saw a post stating that you were casting the illusion spells. I guess Kuruk's attack screwed up that plan!


Human Barbarian HP 14/14 | AC 14 | Str +5, Dex +2, Con +4, Will +1 |Passive Perception 13; initiative +2

Kuruk watches his javelin graze the dragon. Yes! A little late but you're overcoming your fear...atta boy! Confidently, Kuruk stands before the dragon, dust and his blonde hair whipping in the wind, as he draws another javelin. He looks down at it, looks up at the dragon, and moves another 30' away from the party so they do not get roasted by another lightning breath as he launches his javelin at the dragon's nose. "Begone!"

Attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25...woo!
Damage: 1d6 + 6 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 6 + 3 = 11


Halfling Ranger 1 | HP 7/12 | AC:14 | Init:+3 | Perc:+4 | Stealth:+5 |

Fear save 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 2 = 18
Adv vs. Fear 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 2 = 11

Kwin grits his teeth as the sound of rushing air gets closer. This time, prepared for the shock of the dragon's presence. He launches an arrow as it gets close.

Short bow to hit 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18
Damage 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5


Well I did at least, but no big deal.

Quote:
After unleashing the illusion and bright-bolt, Ziyad steps just inside the portcullis for cover...

Ziyad tries to draw the dragon's attention to an empty tower by creating the sound of a female dragon in heat...


Kuruk's second javelin pierces the blue dragon's tough hide and it yelps back in pain! Kwin's arrow bounces off its skin. Angered that its breath weapon has not yet recharged, the dragon snarls "Enough of this, I am no one's pet! This is beneath me." Remembering Kuruk's appearance, the dragon flaps its wings and soars into the night sky, leaving the Keep in its wake. The surviving soldiers on the battlements come out from behind cover to mob the party, especially the brave Kuruk. You have driven off the dragon! Congratz!

It's not supposed to be a fight. You would die instantly. Just harm it so that it is no longer interested in staying.


Halfling Ranger 1 | HP 7/12 | AC:14 | Init:+3 | Perc:+4 | Stealth:+5 |

For long moments, Kwin stares after where the dragon disappeared into the darkness. Finally accepting that it was not a ruse on the part of the dragon, he lowers his bow and looks to Kuruk. "I don't think you'll be getting that javelin back. We should see if we can find you some more."


Male moon elf bard 1 (Faction Agent - Harpers) AC: 14; Init: +3; Perc: +2 (Passive 12)

Quarion came our of cover and slapped the big guy in the back, "Nice shot! Your people will be proud that you scared off a dragon."

He turned to Kwin, "I think you're right. We should head back and see what else needs doing."

-----------
vote to report back


Halfling Ranger 1 | HP 7/12 | AC:14 | Init:+3 | Perc:+4 | Stealth:+5 |

Kwin crouches by the fallen soldiers on the tower. He checks quickly to see if any of them might survive if given first aid immediately. Those that cannot be helped or aren't severely wounded he'll mutter a reassuring word but otherwise leave them alone.

After that quick check, he'll be ready to report back as well.


Ziyad takes a moment to peruse the battlefield, looking for items of value or interest...

Investigation: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22


Human Barbarian HP 14/14 | AC 14 | Str +5, Dex +2, Con +4, Will +1 |Passive Perception 13; initiative +2

Kuruk seems in shock when the dragon retreats. "Ya don't see that everyday." He accepts the congratulations. "You're right Kwin, need 2 new javelins. Do ya think the departure of the dragon ends the assault on the town?"


After the cheers of the soldiers dies down, the dwarf Castellan Escobert calls you all, "Great job driving off the dragon, but our work's not done. There's still a raid happening and we needs yer help! The guards have spotted a new threat. Raiders are trying to set fire to the town’s mill. If it burns, we’ll lose our stockpile of flour and we won’t be able to grind more for months. I’m trying to assemble enough defenders from here in the keep to defend it through the rest of the night, but that will take time. You’d do us a great service if you could get to the mill quickly and drive away the raiders before they can set it aflame. You’ll need to defend it until our force arrives to take over, but it shouldn’t be more than fifteen minutes behind you. What say ye?”


"Sounds like a tight window." he shakes his head "How can we refuse?"


Male moon elf bard 1 (Faction Agent - Harpers) AC: 14; Init: +3; Perc: +2 (Passive 12)

Quarion nodded, "Yes, I think we should be able to hold them off until you arrive."

The elf sighed knowing it would probably be the longest 15 minutes of his life but they couldn't refuse anyway, "OK, point us to the mill and make sure you rally your forces so they're right behind us. Just get whatever you can as quickly as you can. Don't hold up until everyone is ready. Know what I mean? Even if our reinforcements come in waves, it's better than them all arriving too late."


Halfling Ranger 1 | HP 7/12 | AC:14 | Init:+3 | Perc:+4 | Stealth:+5 |

"Yes, sir." Kwin nods grimly, thinking of this as a chance for redemption.


Human Barbarian HP 14/14 | AC 14 | Str +5, Dex +2, Con +4, Will +1 |Passive Perception 13; initiative +2

After “scaring” off a dragon, Kuruk is on a tremendous high. ”Of course, we will do it. We can hold off the hordes of the Abyss if needed.”


The party makes its way to the Mill through the Old Tunnel. As you approach the structure, you see the following scene:

A cultist looks around into the night waving his torch back and forth, cackling evilly as 2 kobolds stack kindling up against the door. He moves towards it for a second, and then back, waving his torch around! What do you do?


Male moon elf bard 1 (Faction Agent - Harpers) AC: 14; Init: +3; Perc: +2 (Passive 12)

Quarion quickly took in the scene and tried to make some quick estimates as to how it would play out. Would killing the cultist likely cause him to drop the torch and start the fire?

He whispered to his companions, "Should we shoot from distance or get close to potentially avoid a fire starting?"

---------
GM: How likely is it that a dead cultist would start the fire inadvertently? Or am I just overthinking this? :)


Halfling Ranger 1 | HP 7/12 | AC:14 | Init:+3 | Perc:+4 | Stealth:+5 |

If no one stops him, Kwin will put an arrow into the torch wielding kobold.

To hit 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7
Damage 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6


Human Barbarian HP 14/14 | AC 14 | Str +5, Dex +2, Con +4, Will +1 |Passive Perception 13; initiative +2

”Warning shot, Kwin?” The barbarian winks at the halfling.


Rest of party can act, Kwin already acted and missed with his bow shot. Guard and kobolds are 30 feet away.


The Red Wizard sets a bolt into the crossbow, appreciating the well-oiled mechanism. Like Kwin, he aims for the fire wielder...

Xbow: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23
Dmg: 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6


Male moon elf bard 1 (Faction Agent - Harpers) AC: 14; Init: +3; Perc: +2 (Passive 12)

"Ah s&$@. There goes our any surprise."

The moon elf gestured, spoke arcane words, and sent a fiery bolt to the fire wielder.

----------
shoot fire wielder unless down. If so then shoot a kobold

fiery bolt to hit: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5
damage: 1d10 ⇒ 8


Human Barbarian HP 14/14 | AC 14 | Str +5, Dex +2, Con +4, Will +1 |Passive Perception 13; initiative +2

Kuruk moves forward with his polearm and slashes at any survivor.
Attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7...warning shots all over the place!


...?


Sorry for delay...

The wounded cultist disengages from Kuruk without provoking and backs into the 3-story mill out of line of sight of the party's ranged attacks. The kobolds follow suit and back away into the mill, cackling with laughter.

You can make Insight checks if you wish.


Human Barbarian HP 14/14 | AC 14 | Str +5, Dex +2, Con +4, Will +1 |Passive Perception 13; initiative +2

Insight: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6


Halfling Ranger 1 | HP 7/12 | AC:14 | Init:+3 | Perc:+4 | Stealth:+5 |

Insight 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 2 = 21


Insight: 1d20 ⇒ 17

The wizards eyes narrow, suspecting some funny business-ery about...


Male moon elf bard 1 (Faction Agent - Harpers) AC: 14; Init: +3; Perc: +2 (Passive 12)

"Wait, something is not quite right here..."

------------
insight: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14


Kwin and Ziyad:
Kwin and Ziyad find it odd that the kobolds, notoriously known as a cowardly race, are cackling with glee when they are outnumbered. Perhaps something sinister awaits you inside...


Looking at Kwin and then sighing "Well...seems they've prepared a little trap for us, wouldn't you say? Let me send in Clax for a look...he is...quite expendable."

Ziyad places the strange crab on the ground and casts a dweomer over it to change its color from pink to match that of the grass around. prestidigitation His eyes roll back in his head as his consciousness transfers to the tiny creature...

Crab Stealth: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12

Sneaking in for a peeksie while viewing through crab. Blindsight also to detect whos who inside.


The crab skitters into the mill, drawing an odd look from the kobolds 30’ away. Through its eyes, Ziyad can see six guards with javelins poised for throwing quietly perched on the second floor walkway overlooking the entrance hall, waiting to ambush the party! Nicely done!


The crustacean peeks around with its eyestalks before awkwardly crabwalking sideways out the mill while Ziyad whispers the layout, numbers and positions to the group. His eyes roll back around "...I suppose we could wait for backup." pondering.


Male moon elf bard 1 (Faction Agent - Harpers) AC: 14; Init: +3; Perc: +2 (Passive 12)

Quarion nodded, "Good little crab."

He added, "We could wait as long as they don't burn the mill down. How about I make an illusion of Kwin here who's just the right size and make it look like we're still discussing what to do and Kwin sneaks behind them? Is that an option?"


Halfling Ranger 1 | HP 7/12 | AC:14 | Init:+3 | Perc:+4 | Stealth:+5 |

Or we can set the mill on fire ourselves with them in it! ;)

GM, are there any other ways in other than the door we are at? Even second level windows or something of the sort? Is the mill powered by wind, water or animals?


Or roll deception and make them think we're going to burn it down. Ive got a +5 mod for it as does Q.


Kwin, there are windows on the second and third floors of the three story building. The mill sits over the river, as it is powered by water.


Halfling Ranger 1 | HP 7/12 | AC:14 | Init:+3 | Perc:+4 | Stealth:+5 |

Kwin scrathes his chin. "I might be able to get up there. Maybe climb the waterwheel and get in through a window. But if there are six of them in there, I might get overwhelmed. Maybe if we make them think the kobolds are burning it down, we can attack them when they rush out."


"Let us bar the doors, and begin the ruse of burning the mill down...they will spill forth from the upper windows to their deaths, or our blades."

Like, Kuruk hold doors, Kwin stealth for surprise, Z&Q deceive/illusion?


Human Barbarian HP 14/14 | AC 14 | Str +5, Dex +2, Con +4, Will +1 |Passive Perception 13; initiative +2

"So first they trick us into burning the mill and now WE burn the mill? Confused how this plan works..." It's painful to see Kuruk try to figure out plan in his head.


Ziyad blinks a few times with a confused look, then understands "Ah, I apologize for my funny words my large and illiterate friend. A ruse: a trick. We aren't actually burning it, just making them believe so." he explains in quieted tones. "When they try to escape, they will walk into your halberd and die."


Human Barbarian HP 14/14 | AC 14 | Str +5, Dex +2, Con +4, Will +1 |Passive Perception 13; initiative +2

Kuruk smiles. "I like that last part, but if they were going to trick us by burning the mill to ambush us, then they know we care about mill. So would they believe we would burn something we care about?" Sometimes from the mouths of babes...


Male moon elf bard 1 (Faction Agent - Harpers) AC: 14; Init: +3; Perc: +2 (Passive 12)

With the plan in hand, Quarion started towards the mill and talking a little too loud how combustible flour was and how easy it would be to blow the place up.

---------------
deception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19


Meanwhile Ziyad curses Escobar, and Greenest as a whole, for sending them out on this 'useless mission, quite beneath them'...he goes on about how happy he will be to kill all these idiotic interlopers and be done, mill be damned...seriously f$*# it. He goes on about the joy it will bring seeing Escobar's face when we bring back a scorched raider's head along with news that his favorite mill has been totally demolished. He adds nothing will be sweeter than cuckolding Escobar afterwards, taking his wife as Ziyad's own prize.

Help action for advantage on Q


Human Barbarian HP 14/14 | AC 14 | Str +5, Dex +2, Con +4, Will +1 |Passive Perception 13; initiative +2

Kuruk stands at the front wondering how is he expected the bar the doors when the doors are wide open. Instead he waits a little to the side to see if the ambushers on the second floor climb or jump down to the first floor upon seeing the imaginary fire and that is when he will rage and rush in and strike.


Kuruk is right, the barn doors are open. The point was to lure you inside. The dwarf is Ecobert the Red btw. What is Kwin doing and what is the DC for the cantrip?


Alright sorry for confusion...I guess if someone pointed to an open door and told me 'bar the door' I would understand they meant close it and prevent it from opening...they wouldnt stand there saying 'what do you mean? how can one bar an open door?' That's just me I guess...... :)


Halfling Ranger 1 | HP 7/12 | AC:14 | Init:+3 | Perc:+4 | Stealth:+5 |

Kwin will get out a torch and his tinder box. He'll ignite a torch. I think some real firelight flickering about will help with any illusion.


Quote:
DC for the cantrip?

I thought Q was doing an illusion, but he just rolled deception so I dont think there is an illusion. I just gave advantage, can roll if it helps speed thing along

Deception Advantage: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 20


Just checking in, wanted to make sure there was nothing DM needed from us. Noticed his posting in other games so thought maybe waiting on us.

251 to 300 of 303 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Death-Lok's Hoard of the Dragon Queen PbP All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.