GM Valen's SFS 1-25 The Beacon Code (PbP) (October 2019) (Inactive)

Game Master Lysle

Slides & Maps


101 to 150 of 342 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>
Exo-Guardians

Ammo:
Laser Rifle 20/20 (bat x2); Arc Pistol 10/10 (bat x2); Semi-Auto Pistol 9/9 (sa round exp x9)
Human Mercenary Envoy 5| Sta 35/35 HP 34/34 RP 6/6| EAC 19 KAC 19| Fo +4 Re +8 Wi +4| Init +4 Percep +6|

Donovan has a jetpack and another 60' of cable. Everyone can secure themselves and be taxi'd over by Donovan.

Dataphiles

Female NG damaya lashunta icon mystic 3 | SP 15/15 HP 22/22 | RP 5/5 | EAC 15; KAC 15 | Fort +0; Ref +2; Will +7 | Init: +1 | Speed: 30 ft | Perc: +10, SM: +10 | Conditions: None
Abilities/Consumables:
| Acid dart rifle (10/10) | Azimuth pistol (20/20) | Serum of healing, mk I 1/1 | Detect Thoughts 1/1 | Healing Touch 1/1 | Spells: 1st 4/4 | Active conditions: -

Saeron appears even paler than usual following the buffeting the crew took during the rough entry.

Once their passage eases, she circulates among her companions, checking for any injuries. "Everyone okay? Anyone hurt?"

Finishing her rounds, she joins the others and takes advantage a moment to compose herself. 10 min rest

Exiting their vessel, Saeron looks around nervously, not sure what to expect on her first space walk.

She hesitates, cocking her head as she regards the creatures on the distant chunk of debris.

Mysticism: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (12) + 9 = 21

Recognition spreading across her face, she clicks her tongue. "They're Drift cuttles. Juveniles by the looks. They mainly feed on the energies of planar debris shunted into the Drift," she explains. "This gradually causes their translucent bodies to take on patterning influenced by their meals. From their coloration, these Drift cuttles have been feeding upon the corrosive planar material."

"They are known to seek more substantial meals during periods of increased activity..." Her cheeks colour. "Such as reproduction."

She looks at the void surrounding them with trepidation, uncertain of how to proceed.

Given her lack of experience in space, she will follow the lead of the rest of the party.

Dataphiles

Male NG half-orc cyberborn mechanic 3 | SP 18/18 HP 23/24 | RP 5/6 | EAC 13; KAC 15 | Fort +3; Ref +6; Will +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +4, darkvision 60 ft., SM: +0 | Speed 20ft | Expendables: Pulsecaster Rifle: 40/40 | Active conditions: Environmental Seals

Flenn nods. "Well, if they're juveniles, let's hope we don't have to worry about that. Or about their momma showin' up. We should probably try to check out those ruins."

Acquisitives

Female CN skittermander space pirate operative (thief) 3 | SP 9/18 HP 20/20 | RP 4/4 | EAC 15; KAC 16 | Fort +1; Ref +6; Will +3 | Init: +4 | Perc:+9, SM: +6 | Speed 40ft | Active conditions: None.

Kaneeri pulls a rifle larger than she is off of her back. "They still look dangerous!"

Drawing tactical shobhad horizon stalker

She won't attack this round, since her allies are not.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Duskmire Accord 9 | Beacon Code Dilemma
Flenn wrote:
You mean the right? We're on the left, aren't we?

Well, assuming that the universe is spherical in shape, then travelling sufficiently far in a single direction would cause you to arrive at ...

Yes, I meant right.

Saeron Kasari wrote:
She hesitates, cocking her head as she regards the creatures on the distant chunk of debris.

@ Saeron - You have two questions that you may ask about the Drift cuttles.

Tethered together, the party begins its trek across the debris field. The Drift cuttles quickly stir, moving through the field towards the party.

As one of the monstrous cuttles (blue) appears to zero in on Donovan, a ray of caustic energy spews forth from a gland within the creature.
Ranged (energy ray) v Donovan: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (2) + 9 = 11
Damage (acid): 1d4 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7

The Starfinder readily avoids it.

The other one (red) slips in among a number of the fragments in the debris field.

Secret GM Roll:

A1?: 1d3 ⇒ 1
Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 3

Meanwhile, throughout the debris field, a number of the sizeable fragments (green) of debris release vents of caustic gases within the areas around them.

Round Two

All PCs may take a full round of actions

Orrian
Donovan
-7 SP (no rest indicated in prior post)
Saeron
Ynge
Kaneeri
-7 SP (no rest indicated in prior post)
Flenn
Cephalopod (red)
Cephalopod (blue)
Vents (green)

Dataphiles

Female NG damaya lashunta icon mystic 3 | SP 15/15 HP 22/22 | RP 5/5 | EAC 15; KAC 15 | Fort +0; Ref +2; Will +7 | Init: +1 | Speed: 30 ft | Perc: +10, SM: +10 | Conditions: None
Abilities/Consumables:
| Acid dart rifle (10/10) | Azimuth pistol (20/20) | Serum of healing, mk I 1/1 | Detect Thoughts 1/1 | Healing Touch 1/1 | Spells: 1st 4/4 | Active conditions: -
GM Valen wrote:
@ Saeron - You have two questions that you may ask about the Drift cuttles.

Thanks! Saeron attempts to recall whether the scuttles are 1. intelligent creatures, 2. have any known vulnerabilities. She will inform the rest of the party of her recollections.

Saeron is wary upon seeing the cuttles immediately close on their position. Her suspicions are confirmed as one of the creatures spits in Donavan's direction.

Instinctively, she takes several steps toward her vulnerable teammate, slipping her rifle from her shoulder as she moves. The lashunta takes a moment to aim as carefully as she can and fires upon the beast (blue). "Look out, Donovan!" she calls.

Tactical acid dart rifle, vs KAC: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4
Acid & Piercing damage: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10

"Typical," she mutters, shaking her head as she misses.


Duskmire Accord 9 | Beacon Code Dilemma
Saeron Kasari wrote:
Thanks! Saeron attempts to recall whether the scuttles are 1. intelligent creatures, 2. have any known vulnerabilities. She will inform the rest of the party of her recollections.

Saeron notes that, like other magical beasts, Drift cuttles are fairly intelligent and, in all likelihood, can even understand one ore more languages. However, given their anatomy, Drift cuttles may not be able to speak.

1) Int +0

The lashunta recalls that Drift cuttles don't have any known vulnerabilities, but knows that it is likely useful to bear in mind that the creatures' diets don't just determine their coloration, but also the type of dangers that they may pose.

2) Planar Feeder (Su) A Drift cuttle feeds off the energies of planar matter pulled into the Drift, taking on traits based [determined by the type of matter it feeds upon], which determines its energy resistance, the damage type of half its melee damage, its ranged damage type, and an additional special ability.

Dataphiles

Male NG half-orc cyberborn mechanic 3 | SP 18/18 HP 23/24 | RP 5/6 | EAC 13; KAC 15 | Fort +3; Ref +6; Will +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +4, darkvision 60 ft., SM: +0 | Speed 20ft | Expendables: Pulsecaster Rifle: 40/40 | Active conditions: Environmental Seals

Upon hearing Saeron explain about the creatures, witnessing the extraplanar gas, and seeing their attack, Flenn tries to determine their energy resistance.

Physical Science: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (4) + 9 = 13


Duskmire Accord 9 | Beacon Code Dilemma
Flenn wrote:
Upon hearing Saeron explain about the creatures, witnessing the extraplanar gas, and seeing their attack, Flenn tries to determine their energy resistance.

I see what you are trying to do there. Let me put it this way...

Although one of the Drift cuttles (red) passes through the caustic, venting gas on its approach, it appears unaffected.

Acquisitives

Female CN skittermander space pirate operative (thief) 3 | SP 9/18 HP 20/20 | RP 4/4 | EAC 15; KAC 16 | Fort +1; Ref +6; Will +3 | Init: +4 | Perc:+9, SM: +6 | Speed 40ft | Active conditions: None.

Kaneeri moves up slightly and aims the rifle at the blue creature.

"We'll make you walk the plank! Except you can fly and probably don't care, but something just as bad!"

tactical shobhad horizon stalker: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22
ouch!: 2d4 + 3 ⇒ (2, 4) + 3 = 9 P

Second Seekers (Jadnura)

Male Half-Elf Colonist Soldier/Starfinder Forerunner 3 | Spd:30 | SP: 27/27, HP:25/25, RP:4/5 | EAC:17 KAC:19 | Init +8 | Fort:5, Ref:5, Will:4 | Per:+9 Sense Motive:+1 | Ammo
Spoiler:
Heavy [Clip 1 20/40; Clip 2 40/40; Clip 3-6 40/40]

Orrian sees an energy ray miss Donovan and surmises the cuddlefish aren't going to be friendly.

"Well, we tried" he mutters as he takes aim with his tactical crossbolter and fires blue.

By my count Orrian is exactly 70 feet from blue so can fire without penalty. Let me know if I miscounted and add the -2 range penalty if needed.

Crossbolter vs KAC: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15
Damage? P: 1d10 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5

Orrian silently reloads his crossbolter.

Dataphiles

Male NG half-orc cyberborn mechanic 3 | SP 18/18 HP 23/24 | RP 5/6 | EAC 13; KAC 15 | Fort +3; Ref +6; Will +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +4, darkvision 60 ft., SM: +0 | Speed 20ft | Expendables: Pulsecaster Rifle: 40/40 | Active conditions: Environmental Seals

Glenn's metal mohawk flashes. A split second later, a heavily modified pulsecaster rifle appears in his hands. Decorative spikes cover it, but there is a functional modification as well: a bayonet bracket with a spear mounted on the front. As he does so, his exocortex begins tracking the blue one. He brings the rifle up and fires.

Pulsecaster shot, range penalty: 1d20 + 7 - 2 ⇒ (1) + 7 - 2 = 6
Pulsecaster damage: 1d6 ⇒ 1 nonlethal

Wayfinders

Female Dwarf Soldier 4 | SP 25/32 HP 34/34 RP 7/7 | EAC 23 KAC 24 | F +5 R +6 W +7 (+2 pois./spell/SLA) | Init +5 | Perc +10 | Status: -none-

"Oh dear. And I thought for a moment they looked rather docile." Ynge aims at the blue Drift-cutie as she speaks. "Sometimes I wonder - what does it say about Life that we so readily jump to violence."

She frowns at the incoming acid-imbued alien and fires her laser rifle twice.
Laser Rifle, azimuth; vs blue: 1d20 + 11 - 4 ⇒ (15) + 11 - 4 = 22
Laser Rifle damage (F): 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12
Laser Rifle, azimuth; vs blue: 1d20 + 11 - 4 ⇒ (5) + 11 - 4 = 12
Laser Rifle damage (F): 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7
Reminder - Sniper's Aim: When you make a ranged attack against a target with cover, reduce the AC bonus from cover by 2. You can’t use sniper’s aim against an enemy with total cover


Duskmire Accord 9 | Beacon Code Dilemma

The multi-armed operative and the multi-attacking soldier each manage to hit one of the Drift cuttles (blue). However, the shots of the other Starfinders go wide.

Round Two Cont'd

PCs in bold may take a full round of actions

Orrian
Donovan -7 SP (no rest indicated in prior post)
Saeron
Ynge
Kaneeri -7 SP (no rest indicated in prior post)
Flenn
Cephalopod (red)
Cephalopod (blue) -21 HP
Vents (green)

Dataphiles

Female NG damaya lashunta icon mystic 3 | SP 15/15 HP 22/22 | RP 5/5 | EAC 15; KAC 15 | Fort +0; Ref +2; Will +7 | Init: +1 | Speed: 30 ft | Perc: +10, SM: +10 | Conditions: None
Abilities/Consumables:
| Acid dart rifle (10/10) | Azimuth pistol (20/20) | Serum of healing, mk I 1/1 | Detect Thoughts 1/1 | Healing Touch 1/1 | Spells: 1st 4/4 | Active conditions: -

Saeron's made her actions for Round 2 - back up in the post with her 2 questions about the cuttles. I guess it was rather forgettable with rolling a 1... haha!

Exo-Guardians

Ammo:
Laser Rifle 20/20 (bat x2); Arc Pistol 10/10 (bat x2); Semi-Auto Pistol 9/9 (sa round exp x9)
Human Mercenary Envoy 5| Sta 35/35 HP 34/34 RP 6/6| EAC 19 KAC 19| Fo +4 Re +8 Wi +4| Init +4 Percep +6|

Donovan summons his rifle to his hands and returns the animosity of the drift cuttles. He targets the closest (blue) while reversing his momentum. "You just made your last mistatke."

Laser Rifle, Azimuth, called:
v EAC: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13 Fire Dmg: 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10


Duskmire Accord 9 | Beacon Code Dilemma

Like Saeron's shot, Donovan's goes far wide--continuing out into the vastness of the Drift seemingly unabated.

The closest Drift cuttle (blue) approaches Donovan, the lead of the tethered Starfinders, lashing out with its multiple tentacles.

Melee (tentacle): 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (11) + 12 = 23
Damage (B & A): 1d6 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8

The corrosive appendage burns into the Starfinder.

The other, juvenile Drift cuttle jets closer to the party, spurting a ray of caustic energy towards the dwart.

Ranged (energy ray): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (19) + 9 = 28
Damage (A): 1d4 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4

The gas around the fragments dissipates as no more is exuded.

Round Third Round

PCs in bold may take a full round of actions

Orrian
Donovan -15 SP (no rest indicated in prior post)
Saeron
Ynge -4 SP
Kaneeri -7 SP (no rest indicated in prior post)
Flenn
Cephalopod (red)
Cephalopod (blue) -21 HP
Vents (green)

Second Seekers (Jadnura)

Male Half-Elf Colonist Soldier/Starfinder Forerunner 3 | Spd:30 | SP: 27/27, HP:25/25, RP:4/5 | EAC:17 KAC:19 | Init +8 | Fort:5, Ref:5, Will:4 | Per:+9 Sense Motive:+1 | Ammo
Spoiler:
Heavy [Clip 1 20/40; Clip 2 40/40; Clip 3-6 40/40]

"Yikes!" Orrian thinks to himself.

"Hang on, Donovan!"

He fires again at blue.

Tactical crossbolter: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25
P damage: 1d10 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7

Seeing his bolt hit, Orrian allows himself a brief smile of satisfaction as he reloads.

Wayfinders

Female Dwarf Soldier 4 | SP 25/32 HP 34/34 RP 7/7 | EAC 23 KAC 24 | F +5 R +6 W +7 (+2 pois./spell/SLA) | Init +5 | Perc +10 | Status: -none-

Ynge wipes acid from the faceplate of her armor. "Well now, where are your parents, little Drift-cuttles? Is this the way they taught you to treat your elders?" She frowns and fires her rifle quickly at blue.

Laser Rifle, azimuth: 1d20 + 11 - 4 ⇒ (4) + 11 - 4 = 11
Laser Rifle damage (F): 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8
Laser Rifle, azimuth: 1d20 + 11 - 4 ⇒ (16) + 11 - 4 = 23
Laser Rifle damage (F): 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5

Dataphiles

Female NG damaya lashunta icon mystic 3 | SP 15/15 HP 22/22 | RP 5/5 | EAC 15; KAC 15 | Fort +0; Ref +2; Will +7 | Init: +1 | Speed: 30 ft | Perc: +10, SM: +10 | Conditions: None
Abilities/Consumables:
| Acid dart rifle (10/10) | Azimuth pistol (20/20) | Serum of healing, mk I 1/1 | Detect Thoughts 1/1 | Healing Touch 1/1 | Spells: 1st 4/4 | Active conditions: -

Muttering to herself, Saeron shuffles a step closer to the cuttle (and the beset Donovan) for a better angle.

"C'mon. Don't screw it up again!" she murmurs as she takes sight of the huge creature along the barrel of her rifle.

Tactical acid dart rifle, vs KAC: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 3 = 12
Acid & Piercing damage: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5

Acquisitives

Female CN skittermander space pirate operative (thief) 3 | SP 9/18 HP 20/20 | RP 4/4 | EAC 15; KAC 16 | Fort +1; Ref +6; Will +3 | Init: +4 | Perc:+9, SM: +6 | Speed 40ft | Active conditions: None.

Kaneeri moves, drawing her static arc pistol, but shoots again with her rifle.

attack!: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11
ouch!: 2d4 + 3 ⇒ (3, 4) + 3 = 10

Dataphiles

Male NG half-orc cyberborn mechanic 3 | SP 18/18 HP 23/24 | RP 5/6 | EAC 13; KAC 15 | Fort +3; Ref +6; Will +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +4, darkvision 60 ft., SM: +0 | Speed 20ft | Expendables: Pulsecaster Rifle: 40/40 | Active conditions: Environmental Seals

Flenn fires at the nearest creature.
If blue is down, I will use my move action to switch targeting computer telemetry onto red. If firing at red, there'll be a range penalty on the attack
Pulsecaster shot vs. EAC: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17
Pulsecaster damage: 1d6 ⇒ 6 E nonlethal


Duskmire Accord 9 | Beacon Code Dilemma

The half-elf's shot strikes true as does one fired by the dwarf. However, the lashunta and the skittermander each fail to connect.

The half-orc fires another shot, hitting the closest Drift cuttle (blue) and giving it flailing tentacles pause.

Round Third Round Cont'd

PCs in bold may take a full round of actions

Orrian
Donovan -15 SP
Saeron
Ynge -4 SP
Kaneeri -7 SP
Flenn
Cephalopod (red)
Cephalopod (blue) -39 HP
Vents (green)

Exo-Guardians

Ammo:
Laser Rifle 20/20 (bat x2); Arc Pistol 10/10 (bat x2); Semi-Auto Pistol 9/9 (sa round exp x9)
Human Mercenary Envoy 5| Sta 35/35 HP 34/34 RP 6/6| EAC 19 KAC 19| Fo +4 Re +8 Wi +4| Init +4 Percep +6|

Donovan lets his rifle go to drift in space while drawing his sword and attacking.

Dueling Sword, converted: analog
v KAC: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 3 = 20 Slashing Dmg: 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10

or if blue is down

Donovan takes aim at red. "Now that one." Get 'Em
Laser Rifle, Azimuth, called:get'em
v EAC: 1d20 + 6 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 6 + 1 = 13 Fire Dmg: 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9


Duskmire Accord 9 | Beacon Code Dilemma

The Starfinder's blade finishes off the injured Drift cuttle (blue), its lifeless body driven slowly away by the force of the strike.

The remaining Drift cuttle (red) spurts a jet of caustic fluid at the blade-wielding human.

Ranged (energy ray): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (14) + 9 = 23
Damage (A): 1d4 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6

Donovan is doused in acid as the creature floats further into the debris field.

Round Fourth Round Begins

PCs in bold may take a full round of actions
Party buffs: Get'em +1 attack vs. red

Orrian
Donovan -21 SP
Saeron
Ynge
-4 SP
Kaneeri -7 SP
Flenn
Cephalopod (red)
Cephalopod (blue) -49 HP
Vents (green)

Zero-G Rules Apply:

Movement in zero-gravity (also referred to as zero-g) is not the same as flight. Controlled movement is difficult without some form of propulsion, and creatures without something to push off from often find themselves floating aimlessly. A creature in a zero-gravity environment can’t take move actions to move its speed, crawl, or take a guarded step.

If a creature is adjacent to or in the same square as an object (including a wall, floor, or ceiling) or another creature one size category smaller than itself or larger, it can take a move action to push off that object or creature, moving at half its land speed in a direction of its choosing (as appropriate); if that object or creature is movable, it begins moving in the opposite direction at that same speed.

Moving in Zero-G: A creature that moves in a given direction continues to move in that direction at the same speed at the beginning of its turn each round (without taking any action); it must move the full distance unless it is able to change its motion by latching on to an object or creature, pushing off in a new direction, or creating thrust of some kind (all of which are considered move actions). If a creature runs into a solid object during its movement, it must succeed at a DC 20 Acrobatics or Athletics check to safely stop its movement; failure means that creature gains the off-kilter condition (see CRB, pg. 276). If a creature runs into another creature during its movement, both creatures must each attempt a DC 20 Acrobatics or Athletics check to avoid gaining the off-kilter condition. A creature anchored to a solid object (such as by the boot clamps available with most armor) receives a +4 bonus to this check. An off-kilter creature in a zero-gravity environment can steady itself as a move action that requires a surface to grab on to or some method of propulsion; alternatively, that creature can throw a single item weighing at least 4 bulk (for Medium creatures; 2 bulk for Small creatures) to reorient itself and remove the off-kilter condition.

If provided with sufficient handholds, a creature with a climb speed can move along a wall at full speed, as can any creature that succeeds at a DC 20 Acrobatics or Athletics check. Creatures that fly via methods that require an atmosphere, such as wings or turbofans, can’t use their fly speeds in a vacuum; once they reenter an atmosphere, they can recover and get their bearings within 1d4 rounds, after which they can fly normally. Magical flight and methods of flight that provide their own thrust, such as maneuvering jets, are not affected. A character in a zero-gravity environment can lift and carry 10 times her normal amount.

Weapons: Thrown weapons have their range increments multiplied by 10 in zero-g. In addition, all ranged weapons no longer have a maximum number of range increments—their wielders simply continue to accrue penalties the farther away the target is.

Second Seekers (Jadnura)

Male Half-Elf Colonist Soldier/Starfinder Forerunner 3 | Spd:30 | SP: 27/27, HP:25/25, RP:4/5 | EAC:17 KAC:19 | Init +8 | Fort:5, Ref:5, Will:4 | Per:+9 Sense Motive:+1 | Ammo
Spoiler:
Heavy [Clip 1 20/40; Clip 2 40/40; Clip 3-6 40/40]

Seeing the blue cuddlefish go limp, Orrian changes his target to the red one.

Crossbolter: 1d20 + 7 - 2 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 7 - 2 + 1 = 11
P damage: 1d10 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5

Orrian frowns at his latest attempt and reloads.

Acquisitives

Female CN skittermander space pirate operative (thief) 3 | SP 9/18 HP 20/20 | RP 4/4 | EAC 15; KAC 16 | Fort +1; Ref +6; Will +3 | Init: +4 | Perc:+9, SM: +6 | Speed 40ft | Active conditions: None.

Kaneeri spends a move action to extend the range on her sniper rifle, and then shoots again!

attack!: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22
ouch!: 2d4 + 3 ⇒ (4, 1) + 3 = 8 P

"Avast!"

Dataphiles

Male NG half-orc cyberborn mechanic 3 | SP 18/18 HP 23/24 | RP 5/6 | EAC 13; KAC 15 | Fort +3; Ref +6; Will +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +4, darkvision 60 ft., SM: +0 | Speed 20ft | Expendables: Pulsecaster Rifle: 40/40 | Active conditions: Environmental Seals

In order of initiative, would my nonlethal shot have been the one to take out blue?

Dataphiles

Female NG damaya lashunta icon mystic 3 | SP 15/15 HP 22/22 | RP 5/5 | EAC 15; KAC 15 | Fort +0; Ref +2; Will +7 | Init: +1 | Speed: 30 ft | Perc: +10, SM: +10 | Conditions: None
Abilities/Consumables:
| Acid dart rifle (10/10) | Azimuth pistol (20/20) | Serum of healing, mk I 1/1 | Detect Thoughts 1/1 | Healing Touch 1/1 | Spells: 1st 4/4 | Active conditions: -

Useless! the inner doubt chides. I'd say to put that gun away before you hurt someone - but that would involve you actually hitting something first, the voice mocks.

"Shut up," Saeron mutters through clenched teeth. "I have work to do." Concern for the beleaguered Donovan pushes the voice aside.

Uneasy, Saeron slowly shuffles her way across the chunk of rock toward Donovan. "You okay over there, Donovan?" she asks her beset crewmate over the comm, firing another volley if she is able to see the remaining creature.

Tactical acid dart rifle, vs KAC: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (19) + 3 = 22 (It seems right on 80 ft by my calculations)
Acid & Piercing damage: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9


Duskmire Accord 9 | Beacon Code Dilemma
Flenn wrote:
In order of initiative, would my nonlethal shot have been the one to take out blue?

Going strictly in order of Initiative, then Donovan's blade would have killed the Drift cuttle before Flenn acted. Because of the nature of PbP, I usually apply damage/actions in posting order to keep things moving and avoid having to retroactively alter things in combat round.

That being said, if I thought doing so would have a considerable impact on the success of the scenario or a boon or item on the chronicle sheet (realizing that I cannot foresee all potential outcomes), then I'd allow retroactions or have called for actions to be taken in Initiative order.

The remaining Drift cuttle (red) lurks behind the fragment in the debris field.
Also, I apologize that my description was unclear. Indeed, some might say that the way I have handled this combat shows that I am "not experienced". The Drift cuttle is out of line of sight currently of the party. So, I will allow those who have posted this round to take new actions. No attacks can be made from the PCs' current positions. However, if you move, you may choose to use the prior attack roll or make a new one.

Round Fourth Round (Re)Begins

PCs in bold may take a full round of actions
Party buffs: Get'em +1 attack vs. red

Orrian
Donovan -21 SP
Saeron
Ynge
-4 SP
Kaneeri -7 SP
Flenn
Cephalopod (red) (behind fragment/full cover)
Cephalopod (blue) -49 HP
Vents (green)

Dataphiles

Female NG damaya lashunta icon mystic 3 | SP 15/15 HP 22/22 | RP 5/5 | EAC 15; KAC 15 | Fort +0; Ref +2; Will +7 | Init: +1 | Speed: 30 ft | Perc: +10, SM: +10 | Conditions: None
Abilities/Consumables:
| Acid dart rifle (10/10) | Azimuth pistol (20/20) | Serum of healing, mk I 1/1 | Detect Thoughts 1/1 | Healing Touch 1/1 | Spells: 1st 4/4 | Active conditions: -

Not a problem - I'm just bummed that she actually rolled well on the attack and will miss out on a much needed confidence boost! ;)

Saeron will move as above, but not fire, instead making sure Donovan's okay.

Dataphiles

Male NG half-orc cyberborn mechanic 3 | SP 18/18 HP 23/24 | RP 5/6 | EAC 13; KAC 15 | Fort +3; Ref +6; Will +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +4, darkvision 60 ft., SM: +0 | Speed 20ft | Expendables: Pulsecaster Rifle: 40/40 | Active conditions: Environmental Seals

Since blue fell last turn, and I had a move action left, I would have switched my target to red on that turn. I'll move on this turn. I will delay until it moves into line of sight, then fire.

Pulsecaster rifle shot: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 14
Pulsecaster damage: 1d6 ⇒ 5 E nonlethal

Acquisitives

Female CN skittermander space pirate operative (thief) 3 | SP 9/18 HP 20/20 | RP 4/4 | EAC 15; KAC 16 | Fort +1; Ref +6; Will +3 | Init: +4 | Perc:+9, SM: +6 | Speed 40ft | Active conditions: None.

Kaneeri delays, waiting for the target to come into view.

Second Seekers (Jadnura)

Male Half-Elf Colonist Soldier/Starfinder Forerunner 3 | Spd:30 | SP: 27/27, HP:25/25, RP:4/5 | EAC:17 KAC:19 | Init +8 | Fort:5, Ref:5, Will:4 | Per:+9 Sense Motive:+1 | Ammo
Spoiler:
Heavy [Clip 1 20/40; Clip 2 40/40; Clip 3-6 40/40]

Orrian will push off of the asteroid to move north on the map, looking for a shot at the creature.

Move action: Push off to move half move speed (15 feet) north
Move action: Continue moving north at half move speed (15 feet)

Wayfinders

Female Dwarf Soldier 4 | SP 25/32 HP 34/34 RP 7/7 | EAC 23 KAC 24 | F +5 R +6 W +7 (+2 pois./spell/SLA) | Init +5 | Perc +10 | Status: -none-

Lets be honest, 3d combat is super tough to describe and show on a 2d grid.

Ynge murmurs in dismay as Flenn's shot comes too late to nonlethally take down the Drift-Cuttle. "The other little one seems like she's running away. All will be well if she is, but better to be careful in love and war, as they say." She kicks off from the rocky asteroid and begins drifting through open space, aimed at the stone wall of the ruin at the center of the field (Trajectory shown with an arrow. Based on zero-g movement rules, once you push off, you keep moving at half speed without consuming additional actions, afaict)

As she drifts, she keeps her rifle trained on the rock the remaining drift cuttle is hiding behind. If the creature comes out and resumes the attack, she fires.

Readied Laser Rifle, azimuth: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (14) + 11 = 25
Laser Rifle damage (F): 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11

Wayfinders

Vesk Spacefarer Operative (explorer)/Soldier 3/ 1 | SP 33/33 HP 31/31 RP 5/5 | EAC 19 KAC 19 | Fo +5 Re +6 Wi +6; +2 v Fear, Evasion | Init +7 | Percep +9; Low-Light Vision |

Donovan flies into space to try and get an angle on the remaining enemy.

If he can do so after a single move.
Laser Rifle, Azimuth, called:
v EAC: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 18 Fire Dmg: 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5

If he can't, then he'll move again.

Dataphiles

Male NG half-orc cyberborn mechanic 3 | SP 18/18 HP 23/24 | RP 5/6 | EAC 13; KAC 15 | Fort +3; Ref +6; Will +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +4, darkvision 60 ft., SM: +0 | Speed 20ft | Expendables: Pulsecaster Rifle: 40/40 | Active conditions: Environmental Seals

Since we are tied together, do the rest of us get pulled along with Donovan's movement?

Exo-Guardians

Ammo:
Laser Rifle 20/20 (bat x2); Arc Pistol 10/10 (bat x2); Semi-Auto Pistol 9/9 (sa round exp x9)
Human Mercenary Envoy 5| Sta 35/35 HP 34/34 RP 6/6| EAC 19 KAC 19| Fo +4 Re +8 Wi +4| Init +4 Percep +6|

I presumed you were holding on rather than all tied together.


Duskmire Accord 9 | Beacon Code Dilemma

WARNING! WALL-O-TEXT INCOMING!

Donovan Delacroix wrote:
I presumed you were holding on rather than all tied together.

The cable length is 50 feet. Given the positions of the tokens on the map, I have drawn in the cable. The two who are not holding onto it at present are: Flenn (who has his own propulsion in the form of jump jets) and Orrian (who is separated from the group).Everyone else, I assume has the cable and, once it is extended, will be pulled along (there are no rules for such that I know of, so I am adjudicating as best I can).

To help avoid getting bogged down and keep things moving along, let me make the following rulings/clarifications:

Movement with the Cable
I am ruling that as long as Donovan has a jetpack and is "towing" the cable, then those holding onto the cable can move up their full speed without having to make an Acrobatics/Athletics check to avoid being off-kilter (the idea being that the cable provides "stability") as long as the PC has a free hand to grasp the cable (or is tied thereto). Whenever a token is moved by a player, the cable should be "redrawn" as part of the move. If it is not (or a "50 foot" line cannot be drawn among all of the PCs), I will adjudicate that the moving PC has "let go" is no longer attached to the cable.

Movement along Planar Fragment
A PC can move up to half her speed by pushing off the planar fragment or up to full speed with a successful DC 20 Acrobatics or Athletics check. Creatures that fly via magical flight and methods of flight that provide their own thrust, such as jet packs or jump jets, are not affected and need not make the check.

Pushing Off
If a creature is adjacent to or in the same square as an object (including a wall, floor, or ceiling) or another creature one size category smaller than itself or larger, it can take a move action to push off that object or creature (such as the dead Drift cuttle), moving at half its land speed in a direction of its choosing.

A creature that moves in a given direction continues to move in that direction at the same speed at the beginning of its turn each round (without taking any action); it must move the full distance unless it is able to change its motion by latching on to an object or creature, pushing off in a new direction, or creating thrust of some kind (all of which are considered move actions). If a creature runs into a solid object during its movement, it must succeed at a DC 20 Acrobatics or Athletics check to safely stop its movement; failure means that creature gains the off-kilter condition (see CRB, pg. 276).

Collision with Creature/Fragment
If a creature runs into another creature during its movement, both creatures must each attempt a DC 20 Acrobatics or Athletics check to avoid gaining the off-kilter condition. A creature anchored to a solid object (such as by the boot clamps available with most armor) receives a +4 bonus to this check. An off-kilter creature in a zero-gravity environment can steady itself as a move action that requires a surface to grab on to or some method of propulsion; alternatively, that creature can throw a single item weighing at least 4 bulk (for Medium creatures; 2 bulk for Small creatures) to reorient itself and remove the off-kilter condition.

Orrian Balnelis wrote:

Orrian will push off of the asteroid to move north on the map, looking for a shot at the creature.

Move action: Push off to move half move speed (15 feet) north
Move action: Continue moving north at half move speed (15 feet)

As per above, this "full speed" movement, which requires an Acrobatics or Athletics check (DC 20) to avoid becoming off-kilter. Just roll it at the being of your post or adjust your movement for the prior round to only half-speed.

Now, if I have sufficiently confused everyone...


Duskmire Accord 9 | Beacon Code Dilemma

The remaining Drift cuttle (red) appears from behind the fragment in the debris field.

Prepared for this moment, a number of the Starfinders fire! The hail of fire strikes the beast.

It spurts caustic fluid at the creature that killed its mate, Donovan.
Ranged (energy ray): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (17) + 9 = 26
Damage (A): 1d4 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7

All PCs now have line of sight on Drift cuttle.

Jets of acidic gas erupt from vents within the fragments, but bathe only the Drift Cuttle in their mist. It seems unaffected by the acid.
Technically this occurs after Kaneeri goes.

Round Fourth Round Cont'd/Fifth Round Begins

PCs in bold may take a full round of actions
Party buffs: None.

Kaneeri -7 SP (Can use Get'em +1 attack vs. red)
Vents (green)
Round Five Begins
Orrian
Donovan -28 SP
Saeron
Ynge
-4 SP
Flenn
Cephalopod (red) -21 HP
Cephalopod (blue) -49 HP
Kaneeri - 7 SP
Vents (green)

Second Seekers (Jadnura)

Male Half-Elf Colonist Soldier/Starfinder Forerunner 3 | Spd:30 | SP: 27/27, HP:25/25, RP:4/5 | EAC:17 KAC:19 | Init +8 | Fort:5, Ref:5, Will:4 | Per:+9 Sense Motive:+1 | Ammo
Spoiler:
Heavy [Clip 1 20/40; Clip 2 40/40; Clip 3-6 40/40]

Since I took two move actions to move 30 feet (note each time that I was moving at half speed), wouldn't that still count as moving half speed and I wouldn't have to make the off kilter check (which was my intention)? Otherwise I would've moved 60 feet? Regardless/just in case:

Acrobatics: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (3) + 10 = 13

Hmm. Oh well.

Rotating just enough to be disoriented, Orrian tries to stop himself on the planetoid to avoid floating (further) off into space.

As far as I can tell, ending the off kilter condition requires grabbing a stabilizing object like the planetoid. Orrian will spend a move action to do that, ending the off kilter condition.

Now oriented correctly, Orrian tries to take another shot at the Drift cuttle.

Attack: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 13
Damage: 1d10 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6

Orrian breathes a sigh of frustration as his shot misses its mark.

Exo-Guardians

Ammo:
Laser Rifle 20/20 (bat x2); Arc Pistol 10/10 (bat x2); Semi-Auto Pistol 9/9 (sa round exp x9)
Human Mercenary Envoy 5| Sta 35/35 HP 34/34 RP 6/6| EAC 19 KAC 19| Fo +4 Re +8 Wi +4| Init +4 Percep +6|

That last attack made it through Donovan's armor, though its self-sealing kept him alive. He grits his teeth and stays in the fight while exhorting the others to "Get 'Em!"
Inspiring Boost

Wayfinders

Female Dwarf Soldier 4 | SP 25/32 HP 34/34 RP 7/7 | EAC 23 KAC 24 | F +5 R +6 W +7 (+2 pois./spell/SLA) | Init +5 | Perc +10 | Status: -none-

Not 100% on how Donovan's position this round influences Ynge's movement this round, but feel free to move me if needed Valen. I'll keep Ynge's actions simple to avoid any confusion.

With the remaining Drift cuttle aggressively pursuing Donovan, Ynge focuses her attention on bringing it down before the young fellow can get even more injured. "Hold on Donny!" She lines up a shot and fires twice in quick succession!

Laser Rifle, azimuth: 1d20 + 11 - 4 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 11 - 4 + 1 = 23
Laser Rifle damage (F): 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7
Laser Rifle, azimuth: 1d20 + 11 - 4 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 11 - 4 + 1 = 20
Laser Rifle damage (F): 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7

She continues floating forward for a bit longer before the cable line goes taut, halting her movement.

Second Seekers (Jadnura)

Male Half-Elf Colonist Soldier/Starfinder Forerunner 3 | Spd:30 | SP: 27/27, HP:25/25, RP:4/5 | EAC:17 KAC:19 | Init +8 | Fort:5, Ref:5, Will:4 | Per:+9 Sense Motive:+1 | Ammo
Spoiler:
Heavy [Clip 1 20/40; Clip 2 40/40; Clip 3-6 40/40]

Not trying to be a rules lawyer, but Envoys can't inspiring boost themselves. Pg. 61 of the core rulebook, "If an improvisation allows you to grant an effect to an ally, you cannot grant yourself that effect unless the improvisation states otherwise."

Acquisitives

Female CN skittermander space pirate operative (thief) 3 | SP 9/18 HP 20/20 | RP 4/4 | EAC 15; KAC 16 | Fort +1; Ref +6; Will +3 | Init: +4 | Perc:+9, SM: +6 | Speed 40ft | Active conditions: None.

Kaneeri moves up, holding the cable securely with one hand while firing the rifle with another two!

attack!, get 'em: 1d20 + 5 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 5 + 1 = 21
ouch!: 2d4 + 3 ⇒ (2, 1) + 3 = 6

Exo-Guardians

Ammo:
Laser Rifle 20/20 (bat x2); Arc Pistol 10/10 (bat x2); Semi-Auto Pistol 9/9 (sa round exp x9)
Human Mercenary Envoy 5| Sta 35/35 HP 34/34 RP 6/6| EAC 19 KAC 19| Fo +4 Re +8 Wi +4| Init +4 Percep +6|

I didn't look under the rules for Improvisations only the definition of ally.

Retcon
That last attack made it through Donovan's armor, though its self-sealing kept him alive. He grits his teeth and stays in the fight while exhorting the others to "Get 'Em!" before firing at red himself.

Laser Rifle, Azimuth, called:get'em
v EAC: 1d20 + 6 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 6 + 1 = 24 Fire Dmg: 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10

Dataphiles

Male NG half-orc cyberborn mechanic 3 | SP 18/18 HP 23/24 | RP 5/6 | EAC 13; KAC 15 | Fort +3; Ref +6; Will +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +4, darkvision 60 ft., SM: +0 | Speed 20ft | Expendables: Pulsecaster Rifle: 40/40 | Active conditions: Environmental Seals

Flenn fires his jump jets and begins moving directly toward the central ruins.

Per zero-gravity rules, I will continue moving in this direction at 30-feet per turn with no action on my part. When I get to the ruins, I believe I can use my jump jets to land without needing an Acrobatics check to avoid off-kilter.

When he gets in range, he fires at the remaining drift cuttle.

Pulsecaster attack, get 'em, range penalty: 1d20 + 7 + 1 - 2 ⇒ (1) + 7 + 1 - 2 = 7
Pulsecaster damage: 1d6 ⇒ 1 E nonlethal

Over the comms, Flenns says, "Hey, Orrian, you got a handle on things okay, or need one of us with jets to come get you once we've dealt with this thing?"

Dataphiles

Female NG damaya lashunta icon mystic 3 | SP 15/15 HP 22/22 | RP 5/5 | EAC 15; KAC 15 | Fort +0; Ref +2; Will +7 | Init: +1 | Speed: 30 ft | Perc: +10, SM: +10 | Conditions: None
Abilities/Consumables:
| Acid dart rifle (10/10) | Azimuth pistol (20/20) | Serum of healing, mk I 1/1 | Detect Thoughts 1/1 | Healing Touch 1/1 | Spells: 1st 4/4 | Active conditions: -

Saeron releases her hold on her rifle, leaving the weapon floating in space, the rifle sling still looped around her shoulder. Wishing to stay close to her injured crewmate, she holds tight to the cable line as his boosters fire.

Towed along behind Donovan's advance, Saeron draws her pistol and takes aim at the remaining scuttle.

Azimuth laser pistol, vs EAC: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16
Fire damage: 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4

Free action: Drop weapon, Move: Movement speed w/draw weapon, Standard: Attack


Duskmire Accord 9 | Beacon Code Dilemma

The hail of weapon's fire unleashed on the remaining Drift cuttle is sufficient to remove any threat it may have once posed. Even Saeron's shot found its mark!

END OF COMBAT

Various chunks of planar fragments and debris remain floating in the area.

With a form of propulsion, cable, and time, the party may explore the debris field if it chooses.

One chunk of debris supports much of a simple house made of wood and cob, though it appears that its transition into the Drift cleanly sliced off part of the building’s back corner.

If you enter the house:

Inside are a bed, a small bookshelf, a rug, and a hearth. The books are all written in an unknown language and detail primal rituals, herbalism, and hedge magic.

On the bookshelf is a lockbox, which appears to be magically sealed.
A successful Mysticism check is required to open the magic lock or an Engineering check to manually disable it.

Another floating island looks as though it had once been part of a massive building with thick walls before being pulled into the Drift. Subsequent collisions with other debris have likely broken off much of the architecture.

If you look inside the area of the floating island:

You see nothing of immediate interest
However, with a successful Perception check (DC 22), you may open the spoiler below.
Spoiler:
You find a chest hidden in one of the walls. The chest is stuck
closed.
A successful Athletics check is required to open it.

Crumbling walls and naturally occurring ridges irregularly mark
the largest fragment in this area.

If you explore the largest fragment:

You find signs that a pair of Drift cuttles had once briefly occupied the area, but little else of interest.

Acquisitives

Female CN skittermander space pirate operative (thief) 3 | SP 9/18 HP 20/20 | RP 4/4 | EAC 15; KAC 16 | Fort +1; Ref +6; Will +3 | Init: +4 | Perc:+9, SM: +6 | Speed 40ft | Active conditions: None.

Is it possible for some of us to rest and recover stamina while others explore the area?

101 to 150 of 342 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Valen's SFS 1-25 The Beacon Code (PbP) (October 2019) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.