GM Valen's SFS 1-25 The Beacon Code (PbP) (October 2019) (Inactive)

Game Master Lysle

Slides & Maps


51 to 100 of 342 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>

Outpost: Fate of the Scoured God | Protectorate Petition | | It Rests Beneath |
Saeron Kasari wrote:
"So how is it, Bruzek? she calls to the dwarf. "The new Abysshead record? I've heard the new single, but not the whole album."

"The album's rippin'! Ya simply must list'n t' the 'hole thin'." replies Bruzek, his voice louder with excitement than before. He pauses to listen to the lashunta and the human, then states, "Well, since ya said them records are o' time-sensitive import'nce an' ya need me help, I'm happy t'oblige."

"Thank you, Bruzek." chimes Venture-Captain Arvin. "Whatever you have on the Amber Reconnoiter would be appreciated. This is, indeed, a pressing issue and we apologize for the inconvenience."

"Nah, 'tis I who should be apologizin'." notes Bruzek. "I'll git right onnit." The dwarf nods his head profusely at you all before scurrying over to his terminal to look up the record. Within moment, a chime on your comm units confirms that the information regarding the Amber Reconnoiter has already been uploaded.

Reviewing the information, you find a shipping invoice to deliver a supply crate to the ship. The invoice includes geo-scanners, excavation equipment, and survey materials, which suggest that the Amber Reconnoiter had been on an archeological mission to discover artifacts scattered throughout the Drift, mounting expeditions to the largest planar bubbles and looking for relics in those strange locales.

The invoice lists the names of several crew members, as well as certain of the shipment’s contents, designated for them. A case of shampoo for a crew member named, "Red", several pairs of small, matching gloves for a crew member named, "Jarzi", and a portable drum kit for a crew member named Zantik.

In addition, you also find one of the access codes to override the ship’s automatic defense systems, which a delivery ship could use in the event that the crew would be away from the Amber Reconnoiter and have its automatic defense systems enabled. However, it seems this code works with only some of the weapons on the ship and you will need another, similar code to fully disable the Amber Reconnoiter’s full complement of automated defenses.

With the present task at hand completed, Venture-Captain Arvin departs to tackle the heavy workload awaiting him in his office. Before he departs, he says, "I know you will put the information you obtained to good use."

Upon reaching the threshold of his office, he turns to look back at you for a moment.

Ynge:
{{And thank you again for the cookies.}} Arvin transmits telepathically.

Then, enters his office and closes the door.

I'll move us along to the Archives in the morning.

Second Seekers (Jadnura)

Male Half-Elf Colonist Soldier/Starfinder Forerunner 3 | Spd:30 | SP: 27/27, HP:25/25, RP:4/5 | EAC:17 KAC:19 | Init +8 | Fort:5, Ref:5, Will:4 | Per:+9 Sense Motive:+1 | Ammo
Spoiler:
Heavy [Clip 1 20/40; Clip 2 40/40; Clip 3-6 40/40]

Orrian, having largely only watched the other Starfinders -- even Venture-Captain Arvin -- do all the work up to this point, quietly takes out a datapad and records the information from the invoice.

Item | Crewmember
Shampoo | Red
Small gloves (several pairs) | Jarzi
Portable drum kit | Zantik

Access Code #1

Once the information is recorded, Orrian follows the rest of the group toward the Archives.

Sorry folks, busy couple of days here. Will try to actually participate going forward!

Wayfinders

Female Dwarf Soldier 4 | SP 25/32 HP 34/34 RP 7/7 | EAC 23 KAC 24 | F +5 R +6 W +7 (+2 pois./spell/SLA) | Init +5 | Perc +10 | Status: -none-

Glad you guys got that one. Ynge has no proactive social skills to speak of.

Once Brunek has passed over the data, Ynge shakes her head disapprovingly at him. "That Abysshead pap will ruin your ears some day boy. And rot your brain besides. What would your mother think of your not being able to hear, hmm?" She shakes her head and lets the admonishment drop.

----

After struggling for a couple of minutes with her comms device, she looks up at the screen of one of her allies to better see what information the team has received. "Hmm, archaeology! Quite the exciting mission. And Red, Jarzi and Zantik. I'm afraid we're far too late for those three. But perhaps we won't be too late to retrieve their bodies and return them to their families... or their descendants, I suppose." She frowns at the thought. "It would be quite good if we could provide those who suffered their loss some closure."

She quickly pulls herself together as Arvin gets ready to leave. "See you again soon, Arvie." She waves to the Venture Captain before turning to the group. "The Archives then?"

Acquisitives

Female CN skittermander space pirate operative (thief) 3 | SP 9/18 HP 20/20 | RP 4/4 | EAC 15; KAC 16 | Fort +1; Ref +6; Will +3 | Init: +4 | Perc:+9, SM: +6 | Speed 40ft | Active conditions: None.

"Let's go plunder the Archives! I mean, research! Research the Archives!"

Dataphiles

Male NG half-orc cyberborn mechanic 3 | SP 18/18 HP 24/24 | RP 6/6 | EAC 13; KAC 15 | Fort +3; Ref +6; Will +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +4, darkvision 60 ft., SM: +0 | Speed 20ft | Expendables: Pulsecaster Rifle: 40/40, T-shirt Re-roll: 1 | Active conditions: None

Flenn shrugs. "Plunder works for me."


Outpost: Fate of the Scoured God | Protectorate Petition | | It Rests Beneath |

Sorry for the slight delay, folks.

The party makes its way from the basement offices of the Bureau of Historical Records from Antiquity through the sprawling Lorespire Complex to the area that houses the Archives. Upon arrival you find a library in the Archives, which is filled to the ceiling with tightly packed rows of bookshelves towering fifty feet above the ground. The scent of paper and leather permeates the air.

Royo, an ysoki clad in his signature formalwear and spectacles, sits in a cozy-looking leather chair reading. He looks up from his book and closes it with a smile.

Picture of Royo now revealed on Slides.

“Ah, Starfinders! Good to see you well. I have received word from Venture-Captain Naiaj that you would be arriving.” Royo begins, before pausing upon noticing the presence of the lashunta among the party. The wizened ysoki stops and shakes his head slightly, though his eyes seem to light up with recognition.

“Saeron Kasari, was it not?” he says, pushing upon the bridge of his spectacles as an effort to confirm the accuracy of his vision. ”The occasion for our present meeting is certainly less formal, than our last. Yet, I assure you that it has less potential to turn as…incendiary… as when last we met.”

Royo rises to his feet and lays the book he was reading gently down upon the plush chair. “Your presence here suggests to me that the so-called ‘Dataphiles’ and their touted methods of uncovering information are not as nuanced as our mutual acquaintance, Historia-7, would have most believe. That, or else, you have finally come to recognize the value of reading books in the manner in which were intended—in print and ink.” As if to punctuate his sentence, the ysoki adjusts elegant spectacles, having refused corrective surgeries due to the hours or even days in which he would be unable to read following such a procedure.

“Fortunately for you, it seems we have written record of the Amber Reconnoiter, stored right here in this library! Here is the location of the volume.” Royo spreads his arm, gesturing to the rows of shelves that fill the library. “Best get to it then, eh?”

The ysoki reaches a furry paw into the breast pocket of his jacket and produces a handwritten note, which he offers to the party.

The note conveys the location of a book entitled, Ships of the Starfinder Society 150–175 AG. It states that that volume can be found in the Historical Ships section, alphabetized in row Sc–St of that section.

Dataphiles

Male NG half-orc cyberborn mechanic 3 | SP 18/18 HP 24/24 | RP 6/6 | EAC 13; KAC 15 | Fort +3; Ref +6; Will +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +4, darkvision 60 ft., SM: +0 | Speed 20ft | Expendables: Pulsecaster Rifle: 40/40, T-shirt Re-roll: 1 | Active conditions: None

Flenn gives Royo something of a disapproving look as he casts shade at the Dataphiles. He raises a pierced eyebrow as he leans in to Saeron and mutters, "So, you set the bookworm on fire last time you met him?"

He signs and grabs the note, heading off in the appropriate direction. "Friggin' analog filing system ... Priceless."

Wayfinders

Female Dwarf Soldier 4 | SP 25/32 HP 34/34 RP 7/7 | EAC 23 KAC 24 | F +5 R +6 W +7 (+2 pois./spell/SLA) | Init +5 | Perc +10 | Status: -none-

"Oh my. Wonderful." Ynge sighs contentedly at the sight of all the bookcases and books. "Reminds me of the few precious books my clan had back in the old home. Back then we thought we'd never see another one. And now here I am."

"How do you do Royo. Cookie?" Ynge extends the cookie bag to the scholarly ysoki, encouraging him to take one or more for snacking on while the group explores the stacks. "And thank you for finding that book for us."

She leads the way into the stacks to find Sc-St and the shelves in question.
Survival, if needed: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15

Second Seekers (Jadnura)

Male Half-Elf Colonist Soldier/Starfinder Forerunner 3 | Spd:30 | SP: 27/27, HP:25/25, RP:4/5 | EAC:17 KAC:19 | Init +8 | Fort:5, Ref:5, Will:4 | Per:+9 Sense Motive:+1 | Ammo
Spoiler:
Heavy [Clip 1 20/40; Clip 2 40/40; Clip 3-6 40/40]

Orrian stands near the back of the party while Royo makes rhetorical jabs the Dataphiles before giving the party the note.

"Incendiary? Sounds like another mission maybe it was better that I missed," he says to himself as he begins to follow toward the Historical Ships section of the Archives. "Almost done with all the research work. Then off to meet Triune, or something like that."

Exo-Guardians

Ammo:
Laser Rifle 20/20 (bat x2); Arc Pistol 10/10 (bat x2); Semi-Auto Pistol 9/9 (sa round exp x9)
Human Mercenary Envoy 5| Sta 35/35 HP 34/34 RP 6/6| EAC 19 KAC 19| Fo +4 Re +8 Wi +4| Init +4 Percep +6|

"Thank you Mr Royo, sir. It's good to see you again. I hope your research goes well." Donovan does not know what or even if Royo is studying something, but figures it is a good bet.

Dataphiles

Female NG damaya lashunta icon mystic 3 | SP 15/15 HP 22/22 | RP 5/5 | EAC 15; KAC 15 | Fort +0; Ref +2; Will +7 | Init: +1 | Speed: 30 ft | Perc: +10, SM: +10, Darkvision 60ft | Conditions: None
Abilities/Consumables:
| Needler rifle (9/12) | Acid dart rifle (10/10) | Serum of healing, mk I 1/1 | Detect Thoughts 1/1 | Healing Touch 1/1 | Spells: 1st 1/4 | Active conditions: -

Comm unit in hand, Saeron snaps a couple of shots of the antiquated library for her vidlog.

She starts, and her pale cheeks colour, when Royo addresses her. Well, maybe you have managed to do something right after all, the voice within sounds surprised. Saeron nods, and returns pleasantries with the ysoki.

"Uh, not... Not quite," she says in reply to Flenn, still recovering from her embarrassment, to the point she misses the slight of the Dataphiles. "Just a party that got a little out of hand."

As they thank Royo and make their way to the Historical Ships section, Saeron glances at Orrian, having overheard him. "The Amber Reconnoiter," she says with a small smile. "Not Triune. We're going to see a ship, not a god."

Dataphiles

Male NG half-orc cyberborn mechanic 3 | SP 18/18 HP 24/24 | RP 6/6 | EAC 13; KAC 15 | Fort +3; Ref +6; Will +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +4, darkvision 60 ft., SM: +0 | Speed 20ft | Expendables: Pulsecaster Rifle: 40/40, T-shirt Re-roll: 1 | Active conditions: None

"Aye, sounds like my kind o' party," He looks at a nearby sign and sighs. "Still only in the C's." He accelerates his pace.

Second Seekers (Jadnura)

Male Half-Elf Colonist Soldier/Starfinder Forerunner 3 | Spd:30 | SP: 27/27, HP:25/25, RP:4/5 | EAC:17 KAC:19 | Init +8 | Fort:5, Ref:5, Will:4 | Per:+9 Sense Motive:+1 | Ammo
Spoiler:
Heavy [Clip 1 20/40; Clip 2 40/40; Clip 3-6 40/40]

"Yes, of course," Orrian says, turning to face Saeron as they walk.

"Forgive my negative demeanor. One* year ago when I joined First Seeker Jadnura on his expedition to the Scoured Stars, the mission briefing didn't involve gods or demigods or artifacts of immense power, but you know what happened then." He pauses. "It was a trying year. Since then I have been more... hesitant in my dealings with the divine, and their creations."

Orrian walks several steps before continuing. "I enjoy going on expeditions and am proud to be a part of the Society. I had hoped the society might make use of my skills in the wilds, but it seems like Venture-Captain Naiaj has need of me elsewhere this time. Maybe when we're on the way in the Drift I can tell you about a recent expedition on Castrovel. We retraced the steps of Formian Queens from ages past under the open sky. Wonderful."

Orrian looks wistfully at the Archives' ceiling and continues walking in silence.

*I think season 1 took only one year total in-universe, but it might have been two since this scenario is taking place past the half-way point of the season? I mean the original expedition rather than the rescue mission.

Dataphiles

Male NG half-orc cyberborn mechanic 3 | SP 18/18 HP 24/24 | RP 6/6 | EAC 13; KAC 15 | Fort +3; Ref +6; Will +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +4, darkvision 60 ft., SM: +0 | Speed 20ft | Expendables: Pulsecaster Rifle: 40/40, T-shirt Re-roll: 1 | Active conditions: None

Flenn nods as he looks at the signs, saying absently, "Yeah, yeah, sounds great. Can't wait to hear about it."

Acquisitives

Female CN skittermander space pirate operative (thief) 3 | SP 9/18 HP 20/20 | RP 4/4 | EAC 15; KAC 16 | Fort +1; Ref +6; Will +3 | Init: +4 | Perc:+9, SM: +6 | Speed 40ft | Active conditions: None.

Kaneeri keeps running up ahead and then running back to the group. She looks precariously close to toppling shelves at times, but keeps deftly stepping out of the way before collisions.


Outpost: Fate of the Scoured God | Protectorate Petition | | It Rests Beneath |
Ynge wrote:
"How do you do Royo. Cookie?" Ynge extends the cookie bag to the scholarly ysoki, encouraging him to take one or more for snacking on while the group explores the stacks. "And thank you for finding that book for us."

”Why, thank you.” says Royo as he eagerly takes a handful of cookies, quickly placing them all into his mouth at once. The presence of so many treats within his mouth does not seem to interrupt a second of speech by the talkative ysoki, suggesting that the snacks likely found their way into his cheek pouches.

“Food preparation is truly an art form.” Royo notes, “Why, one of the most ancient artifacts that I have had the pleasure of examining was a chundma pot, which its nuar owner claimed to have originated on lost Golarion. I, for one, never developed much of a taste for the dish, but…”

The ysoki walks along with the rest of the party, sticking close to Saeron Kasari, and a sharing his knowledge on various archaic treasures and views digital data as being “too mutable” and believes that the controlled dissemination of information often associated w

Donovan Delacroix wrote:
"Thank you Mr Royo, sir. It's good to see you again. I hope your research goes well." Donovan does not know what or even if Royo is studying something, but figures it is a good bet.

“My research? Why yes, it is coming along quite well, particularly since my trip to Athaeum,” says Royo, once again adjusting his glass. “That planet is truly one of the great wonders of the galaxy. It has no fixed location; rather, it disappears and reappears throughout the universe at seemingly random intervals. It’s not random, of course. You see, the planet actually has a powerful magical engine tha—”

The ysoki continues walking, conversing eagerly, even as the half-orc continues moving and the skittermander moves continually.

After approximately 10 minutes, the party arrives at the correct row-- Sc–St. Unfortunately, the shelf seems to be filled with numerous volumes titled “Ships of the Starfinder Society,” so many that it is difficult to find the correct one.

Adjusting his glasses again, Royo points to the shelf. ”There, that must be it!” he cries out, extending a furred finger.
Following Royo’s finger gives you a +8 bonus to the Perception check below.

Perception (DC 22+):
You are able to locate the volume you seek, noting that it is located conveniently on the top shelf 50 feet above the floor.

A PC may climb up the bookcase at half their land speed with a successful Athletics check (DC 15).

Dataphiles

Male NG half-orc cyberborn mechanic 3 | SP 18/18 HP 24/24 | RP 6/6 | EAC 13; KAC 15 | Fort +3; Ref +6; Will +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +4, darkvision 60 ft., SM: +0 | Speed 20ft | Expendables: Pulsecaster Rifle: 40/40, T-shirt Re-roll: 1 | Active conditions: None

Perception, with Royo's help: 1d20 + 4 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 4 + 8 = 26

Using my jump jets to jump 20 feet up, so three jumps should get me there. Still roll athletics, since I have to land on the shelves, but it might be a different DC. I will be jumping in such a way that my jets do not singe any of the books.

Athletics: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 2 = 21

Second Seekers (Jadnura)

Male Half-Elf Colonist Soldier/Starfinder Forerunner 3 | Spd:30 | SP: 27/27, HP:25/25, RP:4/5 | EAC:17 KAC:19 | Init +8 | Fort:5, Ref:5, Will:4 | Per:+9 Sense Motive:+1 | Ammo
Spoiler:
Heavy [Clip 1 20/40; Clip 2 40/40; Clip 3-6 40/40]

Perception: 1d20 + 9 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 9 + 8 = 32

"That's really up..." Orrian starts to say before Flenn blasts off. "Oh, that's one way to get to it."

Dataphiles

Female NG damaya lashunta icon mystic 3 | SP 15/15 HP 22/22 | RP 5/5 | EAC 15; KAC 15 | Fort +0; Ref +2; Will +7 | Init: +1 | Speed: 30 ft | Perc: +10, SM: +10, Darkvision 60ft | Conditions: None
Abilities/Consumables:
| Needler rifle (9/12) | Acid dart rifle (10/10) | Serum of healing, mk I 1/1 | Detect Thoughts 1/1 | Healing Touch 1/1 | Spells: 1st 1/4 | Active conditions: -

Wide-eyed, Saeron stares around at the expanse of towering bookshelves spreading around them. Listening intently to Royo's conversation as they walk, every so often she snaps a photo of an interesting volume or other tidbit.

She nods as Orrian explains. "I can understand your reluctance," she says. "I'd love to hear about your expedition. For all my experiences back home, I've not had the opportunity to work with many formians."

Perception: 1d20 + 9 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 9 + 8 = 24

Saeron spies the book in question. just as Flenn launches up. "Wow," she breathes.

Wayfinders

Female Dwarf Soldier 4 | SP 25/32 HP 34/34 RP 7/7 | EAC 23 KAC 24 | F +5 R +6 W +7 (+2 pois./spell/SLA) | Init +5 | Perc +10 | Status: -none-

Perception: 1d20 + 10 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 10 + 8 = 23

"Oh, be careful Flenn. I've seen more than my share of jetpack related accidents and I dearly hope this won't be another." She watches the young'un uneasily, then looks up and down the aisle for one of those rolling ladders used to normally reach higher shelves.

"Royo, are there any ladders that Flenn might use to get down?"


Outpost: Fate of the Scoured God | Protectorate Petition | | It Rests Beneath |
Saeron Kasari wrote:
Saeron spies the book in question. just as Flenn launches up. "Wow," she breathes.

The lashunta's comment draws Royo's attention as the ysoki had already become immersed in talking about an artifact that he had observed on Athaeum. "Oh, my!" he cries out as he sees the flames come, in his opinion, far too close to the pages of the books lining the shelf. "What is it that you think you are doing?!" he calls out to the jump jetting half-orc.

"It is distasteful enough for those Dataphiles to try and withhold and control the dissemination of information often, but to threaten its existence?!" huffs the aged ysoki. "Why, it is almost too much to bear."

However, once the smoke clears and Royo can see through his spectacles that the books remain unharmed, he utters a sigh of relief.

Ynge wrote:
"Royo, are there any ladders that Flenn might use to get down?"

"Why, yes," he replies, "I believe that there is, indeed, a ladder nearby. A wise suggestion you make, dear Ynge, to rely on more traditional and reliable methods of retrieval."

He excuses himself for a moment and then returns with an extendable wooden ladder mounted to a pushcart. Unfortunately, it is quickly evident that the ladder is broken.

Engineering (DC 16+):
You are able to repair the ladder enough that it can be extended to the book’s height.

Flenn, if you examine the book:
You find that the dusty book, titled Ships of the Starfinder Society 150–175 AG, is a massive text but, fortunately, well indexed. It’s a dry encyclopedia, listing various statistics and crew members of the various starships from that century.

Upon flipping to the section on the Amber Reconnoiter, you find you are able to readily learn about the ship’s mission and its crew. The document conirms that the Amber Reconnoiter was on an archaeological mission to discover artifacts scattered throughout the Drift, hoping to find clues to the origins of the various relics pulled into the Transitive Plane. It notes that the crew often fought vicious monsters that are unlike any seen on the Material Plane, with many close calls.

The four person crew consisted of following:

Zantik, an agender early stage barathu, who advocated that it might be possible to develop technology or supernatural techniques to properly interface with non-barathu species. They served as the ship's captain.

Dayn, was a formerly traditionalist haan, who developed a love for technology She served as the ship's engineer.

Twibik "Red" Cors, a party-loving ysoki who hailed from Akiton. She served as the ship's pilot.

Jarzi, a skittermander, who had left her family on Vesk-3 in search of adventure with the Starfinder Society. She served as the ship's cook and occasional science officer.

You also find a set of access codes that appear to override the remainder of the ship’s automatic defense systems.

Second Seekers (Jadnura)

Male Half-Elf Colonist Soldier/Starfinder Forerunner 3 | Spd:30 | SP: 27/27, HP:25/25, RP:4/5 | EAC:17 KAC:19 | Init +8 | Fort:5, Ref:5, Will:4 | Per:+9 Sense Motive:+1 | Ammo
Spoiler:
Heavy [Clip 1 20/40; Clip 2 40/40; Clip 3-6 40/40]

Orrian takes a look at the broken ladder.

"It looks like this one is broken. Maybe we can find another one?" he says, looking down the rows of shelves for another ladder.

Dataphiles

Male NG half-orc cyberborn mechanic 3 | SP 18/18 HP 24/24 | RP 6/6 | EAC 13; KAC 15 | Fort +3; Ref +6; Will +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +4, darkvision 60 ft., SM: +0 | Speed 20ft | Expendables: Pulsecaster Rifle: 40/40, T-shirt Re-roll: 1 | Active conditions: None

Engineering: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 3 = 20

"Oy, your ladder is broke! I can fix that." He jumps, using the jump jets at the last moment to slow his descent. It gives me a fly speed, so I can do that right? He absently hands the book off to Orrian and begins repairing the ladder.


Outpost: Fate of the Scoured God | Protectorate Petition | | It Rests Beneath |

"Oh, well, I suppose we don't need the ladder now." notes Royo as he observes the half-orc stick a landing. "I trust that you have the book on you?"

As the mechanic readily repairs the ladder, Royo actually seems rather appreciative. Once satisfied that the party was able to retrieve what it was seeking, the ysoki bids farewell and returns to his comfy chair and book.

With both set of access codes as well as the other information obtained about the Amber Reconnoiter, you are able to report back to Naiaj, who thanks you all for your efforts and instructs you in how to use the access codes to disarm the Amber Reconnoiter’s defenses via broadcast from another starship.

To that end, Naiaj suggests that you should prepare to embark for your journey into the Drift and recommends the Pegasus frame for this mission, as she doesn’t expect the firepower of the Drake to be necessary.

With a ship selection made, the party is then free to travel to the coordinates MP-8 provided whenever ready.

Although there is no starship combat in this scenario, the party must choose a frame and will have to make some starship, relaed skill checks later in the scenario. However, unlike typical starship combat, there is neither a map nor phases.

Once assignments have been made, I will move us to the next encounter.

Acquisitives

Female CN skittermander space pirate operative (thief) 3 | SP 9/18 HP 20/20 | RP 4/4 | EAC 15; KAC 16 | Fort +1; Ref +6; Will +3 | Init: +4 | Perc:+9, SM: +6 | Speed 40ft | Active conditions: None.

Kaneeri can pilot with a +11 or Science Officer or Engineer with a +10. Gunnery is +6.

I have no strong opinions on which frame we use.

Wayfinders

Female Dwarf Soldier 4 | SP 25/32 HP 34/34 RP 7/7 | EAC 23 KAC 24 | F +5 R +6 W +7 (+2 pois./spell/SLA) | Init +5 | Perc +10 | Status: -none-

As the group heads back towards Naiaj's office, Ynge offers warmly "That was very good of you, Flenn. Poor Royo would focus on his books and studies as the entire world broke apart around him, I'm afraid. And fixing that ladder might help avoid a future accident."
----

As far as ship stuff goes, Ynge's a good Pilot +12 and Gunner +9. Since there's no starship combat to be had, I guess that makes her the pilot while you guys do all the scans/engineering/etc.

Might as well bring the Pegasus - even in character we're expecting to bypass the ship's defenses rather than fight anything.

Second Seekers (Jadnura)

Male Half-Elf Colonist Soldier/Starfinder Forerunner 3 | Spd:30 | SP: 27/27, HP:25/25, RP:4/5 | EAC:17 KAC:19 | Init +8 | Fort:5, Ref:5, Will:4 | Per:+9 Sense Motive:+1 | Ammo
Spoiler:
Heavy [Clip 1 20/40; Clip 2 40/40; Clip 3-6 40/40]

Wow is Orrian bad at Starship combat. I can be a gunner with a +8. No Piloting, Computers, Engineering, Diplomacy, Intimidate, or even Mysticism. Trying to play a "nature-focused" soldier-esque character is... interesting.

Dataphiles

Female NG damaya lashunta icon mystic 3 | SP 15/15 HP 22/22 | RP 5/5 | EAC 15; KAC 15 | Fort +0; Ref +2; Will +7 | Init: +1 | Speed: 30 ft | Perc: +10, SM: +10, Darkvision 60ft | Conditions: None
Abilities/Consumables:
| Needler rifle (9/12) | Acid dart rifle (10/10) | Serum of healing, mk I 1/1 | Detect Thoughts 1/1 | Healing Touch 1/1 | Spells: 1st 1/4 | Active conditions: -

True to her word, Saeron takes time to listen to Orrian's Formian Adventures(TM) during the voyage to the Amber Reconnoiter. She also shares tales of her own, her wonderment clear as she tells of several encounters with elves during research expeditions to the wilds of Castrovel. If he is in agreement, she offers to record his recount (or select portions thereof) for publishing to her niche, yet burgeoning vidlog.

Saeron is a little limited in her utility in Starship combat: Gunner +3, Computers +5, Diplomacy +6, Life science +9, Mysticism +9 (it will be a little better once the new role is added to Starship combat so she can use Mysticism)

Exo-Guardians

Ammo:
Laser Rifle 20/20 (bat x2); Arc Pistol 10/10 (bat x2); Semi-Auto Pistol 9/9 (sa round exp x9)
Human Mercenary Envoy 5| Sta 35/35 HP 34/34 RP 6/6| EAC 19 KAC 19| Fo +4 Re +8 Wi +4| Init +4 Percep +6|

Donovan is best as Captain (10 Diplomacy/Intimidate), but has some skill with most positions (+7 Computers, +7 Engineering, +7 Gunnery, +10 Piloting)

Acquisitives

Female CN skittermander space pirate operative (thief) 3 | SP 9/18 HP 20/20 | RP 4/4 | EAC 15; KAC 16 | Fort +1; Ref +6; Will +3 | Init: +4 | Perc:+9, SM: +6 | Speed 40ft | Active conditions: None.

Possible Configuration
Captain: Donovan (+10)
Pilot: Ynge (+12)
Science Officer: Flenn(+13)
Engineer: Kaneeri (+11)
First Gunner: Orrian (+8)
Second Gunner: Saeron (+3)
We could also switch Saeron and Donovan if we want Donovan's higher Gunnery modifier.


Outpost: Fate of the Scoured God | Protectorate Petition | | It Rests Beneath |

Pegasus it is, by one vote (being the only vote actually cast!)

The party embark and take their stations aboard the Pegasus frame vessel. Immediately upon arriving at the coordinates provided by the MP-8, you find that you have emerged within the middle a chaotic planar bubble. Large chunks of corrosive, planar matter swirl around, threatening both to crush and to dissolve the hull of the starship around you.

This field of debris must be safely and skillfully navigated at the risk damage to starship or to the Starfinders within it.

No map or phases for the following skill checks. The PCs can use their ship’s computers to gain circumstance bonuses to their checks.

Almost immediately, a large fragment rises quickly into view. Though it cannot be avoided, one may be able to blast through by creating a hole large enough for a starship to fly through.

Up to two PC gunners may provide a Gunnery check to fire on the fragment. The Pegasus' computer provides a +2 to these checks.

A single PC science officer may provide a Computers check to assist. The Pegasus' computer provides a +4 to this check.

Dataphiles

Male NG half-orc cyberborn mechanic 3 | SP 18/18 HP 24/24 | RP 6/6 | EAC 13; KAC 15 | Fort +3; Ref +6; Will +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +4, darkvision 60 ft., SM: +0 | Speed 20ft | Expendables: Pulsecaster Rifle: 40/40, T-shirt Re-roll: 1 | Active conditions: None

Computers, Pegasus bonus: 1d20 + 13 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 13 + 4 = 23

Actually, I suppose I could have auto-succeeded at the assist. Feel free to assume I am if a possible assist comes up again.


Outpost: Fate of the Scoured God | Protectorate Petition | | It Rests Beneath |
Flenn wrote:
Actually, I suppose I could have auto-succeeded at the assist. Feel free to assume I am if a possible assist comes up again.

Acting Science Officer Flenn scans the fragment and locates a weak point where the gunner can focus.

The DC sought is higher than a usual Aid Another. Nevertheless, Flenn succeeded and the main gunner (gunner with higher gunnery bonus) receives a +2 bonus to their gunnery check.

Dataphiles

Female NG damaya lashunta icon mystic 3 | SP 15/15 HP 22/22 | RP 5/5 | EAC 15; KAC 15 | Fort +0; Ref +2; Will +7 | Init: +1 | Speed: 30 ft | Perc: +10, SM: +10, Darkvision 60ft | Conditions: None
Abilities/Consumables:
| Needler rifle (9/12) | Acid dart rifle (10/10) | Serum of healing, mk I 1/1 | Detect Thoughts 1/1 | Healing Touch 1/1 | Spells: 1st 1/4 | Active conditions: -
GM Valen wrote:
Pegasus it is, by one vote (being the only vote actually cast!)

Sorry, from Naiaj's recommendations, I thought it was a given we were taking the Pegasus - I totally missed the part of the instructions that said we needed to choose one! Maybe from the cold sweats that started when I began trying to think of where Saeron could be, if not moderately useful, then at least not a liability in the Starship.

Kaneeri wrote:

Possible Configuration

Captain: Donovan (+10)
Pilot: Ynge (+12)
Science Officer: Flenn(+13)
Engineer: Kaneeri (+11)
First Gunner: Orrian (+8)
Second Gunner: Saeron (+3)
We could also switch Saeron and Donovan if we want Donovan's higher Gunnery modifier.

Either way we roll with the Donovan/Saeron combo there will be a loss of 4 to the role's roll. Might be best to go for the option that gives the highest overall bonuses and use Saeron as Captain (+6) and Donovan as 2nd Gunner (+7)?

Second Seekers (Jadnura)

Male Half-Elf Colonist Soldier/Starfinder Forerunner 3 | Spd:30 | SP: 27/27, HP:25/25, RP:4/5 | EAC:17 KAC:19 | Init +8 | Fort:5, Ref:5, Will:4 | Per:+9 Sense Motive:+1 | Ammo
Spoiler:
Heavy [Clip 1 20/40; Clip 2 40/40; Clip 3-6 40/40]

Orrian nods at Flenn and aims the Pegasus's weapons at the fragment's weakpoint. He exhales, and fires!

Gunnery: 1d20 + 8 + 2 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 8 + 2 + 4 = 23
Light particle beam damage: 3d6 ⇒ (3, 5, 2) = 10


Outpost: Fate of the Scoured God | Protectorate Petition | | It Rests Beneath |
Orrian Balnelis wrote:

Orrian nods at Flenn and aims the Pegasus's weapons at the fragment's weakpoint. He exhales, and fires!

[Gunnery]1d20+8+2+4

Not sure where the +4 comes from, unless it is the sum of the +2 from Science Officer and an anticipated +2 from the secondary gunner. Unfortunately, even if all bonuses were available, the shot was a miss, albeit a narrow one.

The half-elf fires at the weak point, but is unable to blast away enough material in time before the ship flies straight through the weak point. The shields of Pegasus buckle, then give way as the hull begins to grown and rend from the resulting damage.
Critical Damage: 1d100 ⇒ 23

One of the ship's sensor dishes is torn from the hull as the Pegasus goes into a spiral.
Sensors glitching. All crew actions involving the sensors take a -2 penalty.

The trajectory of the ship sends it hurling towards a pair of large plates of caustic, planar matter, which are shifting quickly and unpredictably in front of the starship and closing in fast.

Pilot check to attempt to maneuver through the shifting plates. Science Officer who succeeds at a DC 18 Computers check, at a -2 penalty for the glitching sensors, can use the ship’s sensors to scan the shifting plates to determine their pattern, granting the pilot a +2 bonus to their Piloting check.

Piloting check (DC 18+):
You manage to maneuver the starship through the shifting plates, avoiding damage to the vessel.

Piloting check (DC <18):
The shifting plates strike hard against your vessel.
The starship takes 12 damage to the port and starboard arcs.

These efforts leave the Pegasus surrounded on all sides by huge fragments threatening to crush the starship.

Pilot check to attempt to navigate the starship through the narrowing gap ahead. Engineer who succeeds at a DC 18 Engineering check divert power to the ship's engines, granting the pilot a +2 bonus to their Piloting check.

Piloting check (DC 18+):
You auccessfully navigate the starship through the shrinking gap, avoiding damage to the vessel.

Piloting check (DC <18):
A fragment clips the starship as it exits the narrow gap.
The starship takes 20 damage to the aft arc .

Wayfinders

Female Dwarf Soldier 4 | SP 25/32 HP 34/34 RP 7/7 | EAC 23 KAC 24 | F +5 R +6 W +7 (+2 pois./spell/SLA) | Init +5 | Perc +10 | Status: -none-

Ynge purses her mouth, rather bothered by the swirling storm of deadly debris. "Oh dearie me. We've gotten ourselves into a bit of trouble, haven't we? Hold on children!" She takes the controls and dives through the field of debris to get the Pegasus somewhere safer!

Piloting, diving between planar dinner plates:
Piloting; including +1 for ship modifier: 1d20 + 12 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 12 + 1 = 21
If the computers are available again for another +2 on this check, please add it.

Piloting, spinning through the narrowing gap between caustic crumbs:
Piloting; including +1 for ship modifier: 1d20 + 12 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 12 + 1 = 15
If the computers are available again for another +2 on this check, please add it.

Second Seekers (Jadnura)

Male Half-Elf Colonist Soldier/Starfinder Forerunner 3 | Spd:30 | SP: 27/27, HP:25/25, RP:4/5 | EAC:17 KAC:19 | Init +8 | Fort:5, Ref:5, Will:4 | Per:+9 Sense Motive:+1 | Ammo
Spoiler:
Heavy [Clip 1 20/40; Clip 2 40/40; Clip 3-6 40/40]

Oops, I misread the Pegasus +4 to the science officer check as a +4 from the successful science officer check.

Acquisitives

Female CN skittermander space pirate operative (thief) 3 | SP 9/18 HP 20/20 | RP 4/4 | EAC 15; KAC 16 | Fort +1; Ref +6; Will +3 | Init: +4 | Perc:+9, SM: +6 | Speed 40ft | Active conditions: None.

Kaneeri starts to patch the sensors, and then realizes there are bigger problems.

Engineering: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (17) + 11 = 28

"I'm giving you all the juice I can, Ynge!"

Exo-Guardians

Ammo:
Laser Rifle 20/20 (bat x2); Arc Pistol 10/10 (bat x2); Semi-Auto Pistol 9/9 (sa round exp x9)
Human Mercenary Envoy 5| Sta 35/35 HP 34/34 RP 6/6| EAC 19 KAC 19| Fo +4 Re +8 Wi +4| Init +4 Percep +6|

OK. I'm at a loss. What position does Donovan have?

Dataphiles

Female NG damaya lashunta icon mystic 3 | SP 15/15 HP 22/22 | RP 5/5 | EAC 15; KAC 15 | Fort +0; Ref +2; Will +7 | Init: +1 | Speed: 30 ft | Perc: +10, SM: +10, Darkvision 60ft | Conditions: None
Abilities/Consumables:
| Needler rifle (9/12) | Acid dart rifle (10/10) | Serum of healing, mk I 1/1 | Detect Thoughts 1/1 | Healing Touch 1/1 | Spells: 1st 1/4 | Active conditions: -
Donovan Delacroix wrote:
OK. I'm at a loss. What position does Donovan have?

Donovan's a better option than Saeron at either Captain or Gunner role. I'm happy for you to choose your preference and I'll take the other.

Exo-Guardians

Ammo:
Laser Rifle 20/20 (bat x2); Arc Pistol 10/10 (bat x2); Semi-Auto Pistol 9/9 (sa round exp x9)
Human Mercenary Envoy 5| Sta 35/35 HP 34/34 RP 6/6| EAC 19 KAC 19| Fo +4 Re +8 Wi +4| Init +4 Percep +6|

Then I'll take Gunner, if you please?


Outpost: Fate of the Scoured God | Protectorate Petition | | It Rests Beneath |

Unfortunately, Ynge's low roll on the last obstacle was such that no amount of available assistance can alter the outcome. No need to be concerned about starship roles for the remainder of this scenario.

The dwarf dishes up some fine flying as she scrapes past the planar plates cleanly.

However, it is the dirt that flies when she drops the stick among the caustic crumbs. ThePegasus is rolled and then well-battered.

The repeated impacts of your starship colliding with the immense obstacles has resulted in severe jostling and the breaking loose of objects within the ship, causing injuries among the Starfinder crew.

Each PC takes damage in the amount of: 1d8 ⇒ 7

Once clear the planar obstacles, the Pegasus approaches within visual range of the Amber Reconnoiter. The angle of approach make the Starfinder's damaged vessel readily vulnerable to attacks by the Amber Reconnoiter’s weapons. However, once both sets of codes are transmitted, the ancient starship's automated weapons power down, averting any attack on approach.

After overcoming the roiling planar bubble, you see the Amber Reconnoiter is ahead, having settled into a debris field and now surrounded by all sorts of detritus pulled from another plane. Due to the field’s density, it is evident that the party cannot maneuver the Pegasus ship through it.

Instead, the Starfinders must instead exit the ship and spacewalk the remainder of the way to the Amber Reconnoiter.

If the party wishes, it may choose to rest before exiting for the spacewalk.

Map is now revealed on Slides.

A scan of the debris field with the damaged sensors of the Pegasus, reveals that chunks of debris within the field are infused with dangerous extraplanar energies that exude caustic gases.
These chunks are indicated on the map with "green clouds".

This area makes use of the rules for moving in zero gravity (Starfinder Core Rulebook, pg. 402), so please make sure that you are familiar with these rules before navigating the area.

If a PC does not have environmental protections, such as a character wearing no armor, the starship contains space suits the PC can use during the spacewalk.

Terrain Notes: This area has the following characteristics unless otherwise noted. Each debris chunk is 10 feet thick, and the walls atop are 5 feet tall. The walls and the chunks of debris all have handholds to allow a creature with a climb speed or one that succeeds at a DC 20 Acrobatics or Athletics check to move along them at full speed. The undersides of each chunk of debris are flat with no walls and have enough handholds that a PC can move along them at full speed.

Perception & Initiative:

Donovan, Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22
Flenn, Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18
Kaneeri, Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (3) + 9 = 12
Orrian, Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (20) + 9 = 29
Saeron, Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (12) + 10 = 22
Ynge, Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (11) + 10 = 21

Donovan, Initiative: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 3 = 20
Flenn, Initiative: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10
Kaneeri, Initiative: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10
Orrian, Initiative: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 28
Saeron, Initiative: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (13) + 1 = 14
Ynge, Initiative: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11

Secret GM Rolls:

Drift, Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27
Drift, Initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7

Ahead, crumbling walls and naturally occurring ridges irregularly mark
the largest fragment in this area. There, among the ruins, two large cephalopods lazily rest.
Picture added to Slides.

Mysticism (DC 14+) re cephalopods:

The cephalopods are juvenile Drift cuttles. These creatures primarily feed on the energies of planar debris shunted into the Drift, gradually causing their translucent bodies to become opaque and take on patterning influenced by their meals. However, the cuttles rely on more substantial fare to secure the necessary nutrients to reproduce. The energies here have given these cuttles a vibrant appearance. The coloration of these Drift cuttles suggest that they have fed upon the corrosive planar material.

Going Into Rounds

All PCs may act

Orrian
Donovan
Saeron
Ynge
Kaneeri
Flenn

Cephalopod (red)
Cephalopod (blue)

Second Seekers (Jadnura)

Male Half-Elf Colonist Soldier/Starfinder Forerunner 3 | Spd:30 | SP: 27/27, HP:25/25, RP:4/5 | EAC:17 KAC:19 | Init +8 | Fort:5, Ref:5, Will:4 | Per:+9 Sense Motive:+1 | Ammo
Spoiler:
Heavy [Clip 1 20/40; Clip 2 40/40; Clip 3-6 40/40]

"Oww! That was a bumpy ride. Anybody mind if we take a quick rest before leaving the space ship to go find Triune's artifact? I got a little banged up there."

Assuming nobody strenuously objects, Orrian will take 10 minute and burn an RP to get back to full stamina.

After resting, Orrian activates his armor's environmental protections, draws and loads his tactical crossbolter, and steps out into zero gravity.

Floating out of the ship and reaching a fairly large asteroid with the rest of the party, Orrian looks ahead and sees two cephalopods. He has no idea what they are. No Mysticism

"Those space fish things up there - are they dangerous? Should we start shooting at them?" he asks the rest of the group.

If, and only if, somebody with some Mysticism can confirm that we should be shooting at the cephalopods, Orrian will fire and then reload his crossbolter.

I have 125 feet to the blue one. The crossbolter's range increment is 70 feet, so -2 to the roll.

Crossbolter vs KAC: 1d20 + 7 - 2 ⇒ (9) + 7 - 2 = 14
Piercing damage in case: 1d10 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11

Dataphiles

Male NG half-orc cyberborn mechanic 3 | SP 18/18 HP 24/24 | RP 6/6 | EAC 13; KAC 15 | Fort +3; Ref +6; Will +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +4, darkvision 60 ft., SM: +0 | Speed 20ft | Expendables: Pulsecaster Rifle: 40/40, T-shirt Re-roll: 1 | Active conditions: None

Flenn chuckles. "Would have been less bumpy if you could hit your mark, eh, mate? Oh, well, any asteroid collision you can walk away from ..."

He seems ready to go out, then sees that they're taking a break and shrugs, joining Orrian's restful activities. When ready to go, he activates his environmental seals.

Maybe I'm missing something on the map, but where is the Amber Reconnoiter? Do we have to go on the spot where the cephalopods are, or are we trying to get around them?

Mysticism: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 1 = 12

Flenn tilts his head. "Those are damn weird creatures. Think I ate one of their cousins once at a seafood place. Probably best to avoid 'em. Anybody got a length of cable? I got jump jets, and can jump over to one of the other rocks, secure it, and we can go 'round those things if possible."

I come last in the sequence, so will wait until I know where we're heading, or if anyone identifies the creatures as hostile, before deciding on actions.


Outpost: Fate of the Scoured God | Protectorate Petition | | It Rests Beneath |
Flenn wrote:
Maybe I'm missing something on the map, but where is the Amber Reconnoiter? Do we have to go on the spot where the cephalopods are, or are we trying to get around them?

The ship lies just beyond this portion of the debris field, to the far "left" off the map. The debris holds some ruins that may be of interest. However, the party is welcome to try and go around them.

Wayfinders

Female Dwarf Soldier 4 | SP 25/32 HP 34/34 RP 7/7 | EAC 23 KAC 24 | F +5 R +6 W +7 (+2 pois./spell/SLA) | Init +5 | Perc +10 | Status: -none-

Not one to go recklessly into anything, much less a Drift-borne ruin and/or haunted ancient Society starship. She sits down with Orrian to rest and encourages everyone else to do so as well.

She activates her armor's environmental seals, takes out a laser rifle, and leaps out to join Orrian and Flenn on the large asteroid outside. Once on the rock, she activates her boots' anchors to keep herself from drifting off the rock. "My. Now that there's quite a sight. Anyone have any idea what our jelly-armed new friends over there are?"

Mysticism vs. Cephalopods: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12 No cigar.
Sense Motive; do they look like they noticed us?: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (9) + 10 = 19

"I've got a cable line for you Flenn dear, but it wouldn't do for you to go out there yourself without any backup. What if something happened to you?" Despite Ynge's words, securing a cable line for us to pull ourselves along seems a good idea.

Dataphiles

Male NG half-orc cyberborn mechanic 3 | SP 18/18 HP 24/24 | RP 6/6 | EAC 13; KAC 15 | Fort +3; Ref +6; Will +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +4, darkvision 60 ft., SM: +0 | Speed 20ft | Expendables: Pulsecaster Rifle: 40/40, T-shirt Re-roll: 1 | Active conditions: None
GM Valen wrote:
The ship lies just beyond this portion of the debris field, to the far "left" off the map. The debris holds some ruins that may be of interest. However, the party is welcome to try and go around them.

You mean the right? We're on the left, aren't we?

Flenn shrugs to Ynge. "Well, I'll be tied to the cable, so you all can pull me back ... Or I can blast over to the nearest rock. I'm sure it'll work out."

Wayfinders

Female Dwarf Soldier 4 | SP 25/32 HP 34/34 RP 7/7 | EAC 23 KAC 24 | F +5 R +6 W +7 (+2 pois./spell/SLA) | Init +5 | Perc +10 | Status: -none-

50ft only unfortunately. Not a lot of range unless we have a couple more of them.

51 to 100 of 342 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Valen's SFS 1-25 The Beacon Code (PbP) (October 2019) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.