GM Valen's SFS 1-25 The Beacon Code (PbP) (October 2019) (Inactive)

Game Master Lysle

Slides & Maps


1 to 50 of 342 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>

Duskmire Accord 9 | Beacon Code Dilemma

An cryptic summons from Venture-Captain Naiaj requests your presence imminently within the Starscape Chamber in the Lorespire Complex.

Acquisitives

Female CN skittermander space pirate operative (thief) 3 | SP 9/18 HP 20/20 | RP 4/4 | EAC 15; KAC 16 | Fort +1; Ref +6; Will +3 | Init: +4 | Perc:+9, SM: +6 | Speed 40ft | Active conditions: None.

Dot!

Second Seekers (Jadnura)

Male Half-Elf Colonist Soldier/Starfinder Forerunner 3 | Spd:30 | SP: 27/27, HP:25/25, RP:4/5 | EAC:17 KAC:19 | Init +8 | Fort:5, Ref:5, Will:4 | Per:9 Sense Motive:1

Dotting in.


Duskmire Accord 9 | Beacon Code Dilemma

As the doors to the Starscape Chamber open before you, Venture-Captain Naiaj stands sternly next to a small sentient robot—an SRO—bearing the holy symbol of Triune.

“Greetings." says Naiaj. Despite the pleasantry of her words, the tone of voice of the white-haired gnome is short, indicating that she is all business. "I have called you in for a pressing matter related to a piece of the Society’s past."

"In 160 AG, former First Seeker Lanrah decided to make it the Society’s priority to research the Gap, using much of the Society’s resources in the pursuit of this quest." Naiaj explains. " One vessel the Society deployed at that time was called the Amber Reconnoiter. That vessel disappeared under mysterious circumstances on a mission in the Drift. While it has been lost since then, the Amber Reconnoiter has become of interest to the Society yet again. MP-8 here can explain the details.”

The SRO wheels forward on treads, its single, focused lens looking around the room, and performs some semblance of a bow.

“I am MP-8, a priest of Triune and native of Aballon. It is an honor to meet you all." intones the mechanical marvel. It, too, allows no time for further introduction before continuing. "A few weeks ago, I received a vision from Triune itself regarding a precise location in the Drift. From this vision I deciphered a set of coordinates: a beacon code."

Mysticism (DC 10+) or Piloting (DC 12+) re beacon code:

You recall that a "beacon code" is a set of roughly static coordinates allowing precise travel to specific points within the Drift and on the Material Plane. Beacon codes are occasionally provided to travelers by the Church of Triune. Without a "beacon code", trying to locate a particular location within the Drift is exceptionally difficult unless one has access to some powerful magical item or divine fiat.

"Triune provides these beacon codes only in instances of the utmost importance, so we in the church knew we had to take action right away." MP-8 expounds. "I formed an expedition to travel to the beacon code’s coordinates, whereupon we found the wreckage of a starship from centuries ago. The ship still bore insignia of the Starfinder Society.”

MP-8 rolls over to the Starscape unit in the center of the room and attaches an adapter cable to its datajack. The lights in the room dim, and the unit projects a holographic image of a ruined starship floating in front of the colorful backdrop of the Drift.

“Naturally," it continues, "we assumed there must be something of great consequence on that starship, so we approached. However, much to our surprise, the ship opened fire.”

The Amber Reconnoiter’s hologram begins silently firing its weapons, projectiles exploding harmlessly and then fizzling out.

“While we could have retaliated, we did not want to risk damaging what Triune considered so important." explains the SRO. "Seeing that the ship used to belong to the Starfinder Society, I have reached out to Venture-Captain Naiaj for aid.”

MP-8 disconnects from the projection unit, and the image of the Amber Reconnoiter flickers and then disappears. “Whatever is on that ship is of the utmost importance to Triune, so you must recover it for us.”

Naiaj nods to MP-8. “We will help in any way we can, as this find doesn’t just interest Triune’s church but also the entire Pact Worlds.” Naiaj turns from the SRO to address the assembled party. “I believe we have records of the Amber Reconnoiter along with the corresponding access codes that should allow us to disable the ship’s defense systems, allowing for safe exploration.”

Naiaj pauses. “This vessel is also of interest in our matters. This ship was one of ours, from over two centuries ago, that disappeared during a mission in the Drift. The Society has been unable to ascertain what happened to the ship and its crew, and we would certainly like to find out."

"If you could, investigate the ship to see if there are any clues or records as to what happened to the crew.” the Venture-Captain urges, now looking you each straight in the eye. "Do you have any questions?"

Dataphiles

Male NG half-orc cyberborn mechanic 3 | SP 18/18 HP 23/24 | RP 5/6 | EAC 13; KAC 15 | Fort +3; Ref +6; Will +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +4, darkvision 60 ft., SM: +0 | Speed 20ft | Expendables: Pulsecaster Rifle: 40/40 | Active conditions: Environmental Seals

The half-orc sits up. His green skin is criss-crossed with circuitry tattoos of various metallic shades. On his shaved head are five metallic nodes along the central axis, like a mohawk, with LED lights occasionally flashing on the nodes. As he speaks, his maw of metallic teeth are visible, similarly lit up with random flashes of light. "We got any records of what mission they were on when they went missing?"

Second Seekers (Jadnura)

Male Half-Elf Colonist Soldier/Starfinder Forerunner 3 | Spd:30 | SP: 27/27, HP:25/25, RP:4/5 | EAC:17 KAC:19 | Init +8 | Fort:5, Ref:5, Will:4 | Per:9 Sense Motive:1

A red-haired half-elf male wearing forest green graphite carbon skin over a white shirt with a tactical crossbolter hung on his hip nods and begins to speak to the group.

"Hello, friends. My name is Orrian. I do not know anything about Triune's beacon codes, but if this is a chance to explore a lost starship, it sounds like a trip worth taking."

He turns to MP-8. "A question, if you don't mind. Do you have any idea what kind of artifacts Triune usually marks with these beacons? Anything dangerous?"

Wayfinders

Female Dwarf Soldier 4 | SP 25/32 HP 34/34 RP 7/7 | EAC 23 KAC 24 | F +5 R +6 W +7 (+2 pois./spell/SLA) | Init +5 | Perc +10 | Status: -none-

An old dwarven woman glides into the Starscape Chamber with a grace that belies both her age and the weight of her bulky plated armor. She gives the assembled team a kindly smile and then speaks in a warm, scratchy voice. "Why, pleasure to meet you, dears. Ynge Sverisvar. Color me glad that I'll be protecting you all today."

She opens a compartment on her armor and slides out a woven linen pouch. As she opens the drawstrings of the pouch a delightful smell of warm cookies fills the air. "Before we get to the briefing. Please, have yourselves a cookie. I baked them just this morning." She extends the alluring bag to the group, revealing a wide selection of cookies for all races.

Like all grandmas, she doesn't take no for an answer.
----

Once everyone is enjoying their cookies (Including a efficient nutritionally balanced wafer in Naiaj's case), she returns the pouch to its holder and settles in to listen to the briefing.

Mysticism: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16

If anyone voices the question, she explains what a Beacon Code is.

As Naiaj wraps up, Ynge closes her eyes in prayer for those lost souls of the Amber Reconnoiter. "A terrible tragedy, and a reminder of the dangers of the Drift. I would be glad to join these fine young folks in exploring the ship."

She turns to the SRO "MP-8 dear, will you or your fellow Triunites be there for this exploration, or providing any support? The more the merrier, I should think. Safety in numbers."

Dataphiles

Female NG damaya lashunta icon mystic 3 | SP 15/15 HP 22/22 | RP 2/5 | EAC 15; KAC 15 | Fort +0; Ref +2; Will +7 | Init: +1 | Speed: 30 ft | Perc: +10, SM: +10 | Conditions: None
Abilities/Consumables:
| Acid dart rifle (8/10) | Azimuth pistol (19/20) | Serum of healing, mk I 1/1 | Detect Thoughts 1/1 | Healing Touch 1/1 | Spells: 1st 2/4 | Active conditions: -

The fair-skinned lashunta echoes the others' greetings. "Nice to meet you all. I'm Saeron Kasari," she introduces herself. Removing an embroidered satchel from where it hangs across her shoulder, she carefully places it on the floor beside her seat, near where her rifle rests.

Saeron returns Naiaj's greeting. "It is good to see you again, Venture-Captain," Saeron says, venturing a smile smile.

Taking a deep breath, she tries to steady her nerves. C'mon, Saeron - you're allowed to be here! You've shown yourself to be capable or else they wouldn't have requested you. She gratefully accepts the offered cookie and takes an anxious nibble. Just remember your strengths...

She inclines her head to MP-8 before sitting back to listen to the report. She raises her eyebrows at mention of a beacon code, but makes no comment. She nods her head in thoughtful agreement as her companions raise the questions that she herself had in mind.

Dataphiles

Male NG half-orc cyberborn mechanic 3 | SP 18/18 HP 23/24 | RP 5/6 | EAC 13; KAC 15 | Fort +3; Ref +6; Will +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +4, darkvision 60 ft., SM: +0 | Speed 20ft | Expendables: Pulsecaster Rifle: 40/40 | Active conditions: Environmental Seals

Forgot I was trained in Mysticism and Piloting

Piloting: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8
Mysticism: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 1 = 11

Flenn grabs a cookie happily when offered. "Thanks," he growls as he shoves it in his mouth.


Duskmire Accord 9 | Beacon Code Dilemma
Flenn wrote:
"We got any records of what mission they were on when they went missing?"

"We believe that we do." Naiaj responds. She tries to mask a sense of annoyance in her voice, but is unsuccessful. "However, the maintenance of those records over the years has not been as...efficient...as one would like." The gnome seems to struggle in choosing her words carefully.

"Records pertaining to the ship's design specs and crew manifest should be kept within the library in the Archives here at the Lorespire Complex. Royo will be expecting you." she explains.

Saeron or Culture (DC 10+):
Royo is a member of the
Forum, the elected ruling body of the Starfinder Society. He specializes in scholarly affairs. Denouncing the impermanence and mutability of digital data, the scholarly ysoki maintains a massive personal archive of physical manuscripts and tomes spread across facilities in countless star systems. He is known to show bias against members of the Dataphiles and those with obvious cybernetic augmentations.

Naiaj pauses to partake of the wafer offered by the dwarf. She finishes it quickly, but neatly. Her satisfaction with it is evident despite her usually stern countenance.

"In addition, I believe that examining any existing supply records to the Amber Reconnoiter should provide some insight into its final mission." suggests the gnome, clearly now speaking of a subject more along her line of expertise. "Those records should certainly include a listing of access codes to override the ship’s automatic defense systems, which a delivery ship could use in the event that the crew would be away from the ship and have its automatic defense systems enabled. This information is maintained within the Halls of Discovery, where operations and logistics are handled."


Duskmire Accord 9 | Beacon Code Dilemma
Orrian Balnelis wrote:
He turns to MP-8. "A question, if you don't mind. Do you have any idea what kind of artifacts Triune usually marks with these beacons? Anything dangerous?"

"The 'kind of artifacts Triune usually marks with these 'beacons' are the kind that Triune wants to be found." MP-8 responds matter-of-factly. "The most prominent 'artifact' known to have been marked by Triune with a beacon code is Alluvian, the All-Code's divine realm. Its divine coordinates are often encoded on items that interface with a ship's Drift engine systems. Perhaps, the subject of this beacon code is of similar significance."

"As for any danger that your assignment may be pose," the SRO pauses for a moment, a whirring sound can be heard briefly emanating from its metallic head. "The ways of the divine always frequently pose, at least, a modicum of peril to mortal entities. Whether this endeavor poses more so, my analysis has not yet been able to determine."

Ynge wrote:
"MP-8 dear, will you or your fellow Triunites be there for this exploration, or providing any support? The more the merrier, I should think. Safety in numbers."

"As demonstrated on the holographic display, the initial efforts to approach the vessel by the faithful resulted in an eruption of violence, an outcome we wish to avoid. We do not know what triggered this response and, thus, we are concerned that another expedition by the church may result in a similar, potentially destructive display." notes MP-8. "My analysis suggests that members have the means and expertise to potentially allow for a less violent approach. And,I have been assured that your Society is quite capable of the requested task."

I'll give another day for additional questions and/or PC introductions. In the meantime, the party may discuss where they'd like to go first.

Acquisitives

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Female CN skittermander space pirate operative (thief) 3 | SP 9/18 HP 20/20 | RP 4/4 | EAC 15; KAC 16 | Fort +1; Ref +6; Will +3 | Init: +4 | Perc:+9, SM: +6 | Speed 40ft | Active conditions: None.

Six arms belonging to the same furry yellow creature are immediately in the cookie bag. The small skittermander wears what appears to be a child's pirate costume, modified for the extra arms, and she has not stopped moving since entering the room, climbing over chairs and getting into everything.

"Avast! I'm Kaneeri, of the Free Captains! We'll track down this treasure!"

Sorry, I was at a con this weekend, but I'll get Kaneeri's profile up tonight.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Duskmire Accord 9 | Beacon Code Dilemma

MP-8 cocks its heavy, metallic head to the side, observing the frantic activities of the skittermander. It can be heard intoning in a mechanical hum, "Remarkable. Such an expenditure of energy is suggestive of the utilization of a highly-efficient metabolic process."

Wayfinders

Vesk Spacefarer Operative (explorer)/Soldier 3/ 1 | SP 33/33 HP 31/31 RP 5/5 | EAC 19 KAC 19 | Fo +5 Re +6 Wi +6; +2 v Fear, Evasion | Init +7 | Percep +9; Low-Light Vision |

A vesk in military fatigues walks in and stops crisply. He salutes VC Naiaj. "Starfinder Domak reporting. My apologies for being late. Another debriefing took longer than expected. I am now fully present and committed to this mission though, no matter what it requires." He is smallish for a vesk and everything about him says career military. When he takes a seat, he sits straight and rigid.

Dataphiles

Male NG half-orc cyberborn mechanic 3 | SP 18/18 HP 23/24 | RP 5/6 | EAC 13; KAC 15 | Fort +3; Ref +6; Will +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +4, darkvision 60 ft., SM: +0 | Speed 20ft | Expendables: Pulsecaster Rifle: 40/40 | Active conditions: Environmental Seals

Culture: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11

"Okay, so check with the ysoki in the Halls of Discovery, maybe figure out a way to shut down its defenses, then I guess get us a ship to set out for the beacon?" He glances around. "I missin' anything?"

Second Seekers (Jadnura)

Male Half-Elf Colonist Soldier/Starfinder Forerunner 3 | Spd:30 | SP: 27/27, HP:25/25, RP:4/5 | EAC:17 KAC:19 | Init +8 | Fort:5, Ref:5, Will:4 | Per:9 Sense Motive:1

Orrian swallows loudly.

"The All Code's divine realm? Divine coordinates? Oh, this..." He trails off but continues, mostly to himself "This might be a bigger deal than I expected."

He clears his throat and bites into a second cookie.

"So, just let's say if we can't shut down the defenses or something else goes wrong on the way to the ship. Should we just leave this thing, I mean the ship and whatever divine code it's holding, alone? I wouldn't want to do anything to make Triune angry with me. Being stuck with one angry god for a year was bad enough..."

Dataphiles

Female NG damaya lashunta icon mystic 3 | SP 15/15 HP 22/22 | RP 2/5 | EAC 15; KAC 15 | Fort +0; Ref +2; Will +7 | Init: +1 | Speed: 30 ft | Perc: +10, SM: +10 | Conditions: None
Abilities/Consumables:
| Acid dart rifle (8/10) | Azimuth pistol (19/20) | Serum of healing, mk I 1/1 | Detect Thoughts 1/1 | Healing Touch 1/1 | Spells: 1st 2/4 | Active conditions: -

Saeron winces inwardly at the mention of Royo's name. "When we go to the Archives, I think it would be best if someone other than me did the talking," she begins, looking around at her companions.

"Royo is a little more... traditional... than many other Forum members. It is common knowledge amongst the Dataphiles that he is disapproving of digital technologies and is likely to view members of the faction unfavourably. Not to mention..." She glances pointedly toward Flenn, "others with obvious technological enhancements."

Saeron looks at Orrian quizzically, blinking. Did he say he had been stuck with an angry god for a year?

Wayfinders

Female Dwarf Soldier 4 | SP 25/32 HP 34/34 RP 7/7 | EAC 23 KAC 24 | F +5 R +6 W +7 (+2 pois./spell/SLA) | Init +5 | Perc +10 | Status: -none-

"Oh, Royo. Quite the respectable little ysoki, isn't he? I don't quite remember what he has been up to recently though. But, I do remember when he was but a wide eyed youngster, eager to prove everyone else wrong." She chuckles, opening the cookie bag again for Domak to have his pick of delicious cookies... or at least the ones that remain after Kaneeri raided the bag.

They smell really quite good, and the elderly dwarf is deeply insistent that he at least try one, no matter his military manners.

She smiles encouragingly at Flenn "Royo at the Archives, I believe. The Halls of Discovery are..." She looks over at Naiaj "Would you be a dear and remind me who we should talk to at the Halls? I haven't been there in, well, many a moon."


Duskmire Accord 9 | Beacon Code Dilemma

Naiaj gives a nod in response to the vesk's formalities, before addressing the half-orc. "Assuming that you are able to retrieve the information needed for the field mission, a starship will be provided."

When the half-elf notes the possibility of, perhaps, having to abandon the ship, MP-8 nearly rolls backwards.

The bleached gnome glances at the SRO, then the half-elf. "Your assignment is to recover whatever is of significance from the Amber Reconnoiter." she says sternly. "There are, of course, always variables that arise and the Society trusts its field agents to make necessary judgment calls. Nevertheless, you have been selected for this mission due to your capabilities in the field and histories of successful completion of past assignments." Although the gnome addresses the Starfinders, it is apparent that she seeks to provide a sense of assurance to the faithful of Triune.

Seemingly assured, MP-8 offers, “We will provide you with a device that will interface with your starship’s Drift engine directly. This device will take you straight to the Amber Reconnoiter. As long as you disable the ship’s defense systems, we do not anticipate any issues when you arrive.” The SRO rolls forward. "We have no reason to believe the wreckage itself is of particular meaning, so there must be something on the ship that Triune wants us to find. It must be fairly well hidden for scrappers to have not discovered it yet."

After the lashunta and the dwarf each share their thoughts on Royo, Venture-Captain Naiaj affirms, "It sounds as though you are sufficiently familiar with Royo, then. Your contact at the Halls of Discovery is another with whom you are likely familiar, Venture-Captain Arvin."

"If there are no other questions," the gnome concludes, "then I will leave you to your task."

"And may input from the All-Code guide your way." MP-8 charges.

Unless you have questions, feel free to discuss where to head first (either in-character here or out-of-character in the Discussion thread). Once two PCs express a consensus, I will move us along to the next encounter.

Exo-Guardians

Ammo:
Laser Rifle 20/20 (bat x2); Arc Pistol 10/10 (bat x2); Semi-Auto Pistol 9/9 (sa round exp x9)
Human Mercenary Envoy 5| Sta 35/35 HP 34/34 RP 6/6| EAC 19 KAC 19| Fo +4 Re +8 Wi +4| Init +4 Percep +6|

"As it could take a long time to locate what we're looking for in the archives, I suggest we start with the Halls of Discovery."

Dataphiles

Male NG half-orc cyberborn mechanic 3 | SP 18/18 HP 23/24 | RP 5/6 | EAC 13; KAC 15 | Fort +3; Ref +6; Will +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +4, darkvision 60 ft., SM: +0 | Speed 20ft | Expendables: Pulsecaster Rifle: 40/40 | Active conditions: Environmental Seals

Flenn nods to Donovan. "Sounds good to me ..." He stomps out of the room, toward the Halls of Discovery.

Upon entering the Halls of Discovery, he looks around and shouts, in a voice amplified by his recent augmentation, "Heyo, Arvin!"

Second Seekers (Jadnura)

Male Half-Elf Colonist Soldier/Starfinder Forerunner 3 | Spd:30 | SP: 27/27, HP:25/25, RP:4/5 | EAC:17 KAC:19 | Init +8 | Fort:5, Ref:5, Will:4 | Per:9 Sense Motive:1

Orrian follows the party toward the Halls of Discovery in silence, thinking to himself.

Figures almost as soon as I get back from the Scoured Stars they throw me into another mission dealing with something obviously divine. Maybe I should have taken another year off...

Dataphiles

Female NG damaya lashunta icon mystic 3 | SP 15/15 HP 22/22 | RP 2/5 | EAC 15; KAC 15 | Fort +0; Ref +2; Will +7 | Init: +1 | Speed: 30 ft | Perc: +10, SM: +10 | Conditions: None
Abilities/Consumables:
| Acid dart rifle (8/10) | Azimuth pistol (19/20) | Serum of healing, mk I 1/1 | Detect Thoughts 1/1 | Healing Touch 1/1 | Spells: 1st 2/4 | Active conditions: -

Saeron nods and gives a slight shrug. "Might as well get the quicker task out of the way first," she agrees.

Gathering up her satchel - delicately embroidered with motifs of plants and serpents entwined around winged staves - she drapes it over her shoulder and collects her rifle.

Following her companions, she seems content to let others take the lead. Her low-heeled black boots ring out with each stride as the group travels to the Halls of Discovery.


Duskmire Accord 9 | Beacon Code Dilemma

Now is the time to slot boons for the scenario. You may do so in the Discussion thread. I would suggest slotting a boon that could influence Royo. Otherwise, no particular suggestions. This scenario does not have starship combat.

Flenn wrote:
Upon entering the Halls of Discovery, he looks around and shouts, in a voice amplified by his recent augmentation, "Heyo, Arvin!"

Venture-Captain Arvin looks up from his notes, from behind the desk within his modest, tidy office--one of many the offices maintained by the Starfinder leadership that a lie nestled among the many meeting rooms, theaters, and auditoriums that dot the Halls of Discovery.

“Good to see you all." remarks the lashunta man, clearly having had his head down for a long time. “Thanks for stopping by—it’s a bit of a busy time right now, so I haven’t been able to get out of the office much.” He turns off his holographic note projectors and stands. On his desk, you spy a number of insignias bearing the compass-like logo of the Starfinder Society.

“I’ve heard from Naiaj that you are seeking information on the Amber Reconnoiter. Thank you for looking into the matter.” He pulls out a datapad from his pocket and thumbs through it a bit. “The records on the vessel are pretty old, so we don’t keep them accessible in our normal information banks. However, it seems that some record keepers here in the Halls of Discovery might be able to access the information you’re looking for. They specialize in maintaining historical records, so they might be able to help you out.”

"Have any of you had any experience with the record keepers?" asks the Venture-Captain.

.

Dataphiles

Male NG half-orc cyberborn mechanic 3 | SP 18/18 HP 23/24 | RP 5/6 | EAC 13; KAC 15 | Fort +3; Ref +6; Will +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +4, darkvision 60 ft., SM: +0 | Speed 20ft | Expendables: Pulsecaster Rifle: 40/40 | Active conditions: Environmental Seals

Flenn shakes his head. "Not me, boss."

Dataphiles

Female NG damaya lashunta icon mystic 3 | SP 15/15 HP 22/22 | RP 2/5 | EAC 15; KAC 15 | Fort +0; Ref +2; Will +7 | Init: +1 | Speed: 30 ft | Perc: +10, SM: +10 | Conditions: None
Abilities/Consumables:
| Acid dart rifle (8/10) | Azimuth pistol (19/20) | Serum of healing, mk I 1/1 | Detect Thoughts 1/1 | Healing Touch 1/1 | Spells: 1st 2/4 | Active conditions: -

Saeron gives a small shake of her head and glances around to see if any of her companions have dealt with the record keepers.

Is there a check we can do to see what we know/can find out?


Duskmire Accord 9 | Beacon Code Dilemma
Saeron Kasari wrote:
Is there a check we can do to see what we know/can find out?

"The record keepers are known to be a bit stuffy with rules and regulations." Arvin warns as he picks up one of the insignia arrayed on his desk.

Kaneeri or Perception (DC 20+) or Sense Motive (DC 20+) re insignia:
Although these commemorative insignia appear to be ordinary medals showing the symbol of the Starfinder Society, you can discern that they can be used for data storage.

Any other PCs that have a successful chronicle for 3 of the quests in, Into the Unknown, may also peek under the spoiler.

Wayfinders

Female Dwarf Soldier 4 | SP 25/32 HP 34/34 RP 7/7 | EAC 23 KAC 24 | F +5 R +6 W +7 (+2 pois./spell/SLA) | Init +5 | Perc +10 | Status: -none-

"Oh, hello little Arvie! You've grown up into a big Venture Captain I see. Wonderful!" Ynge offers the Venture Captain a cookie, then settles into the reason for their visit. "Record keepers? I don't quite remember. Maybe once or twice. My memory is a little fuzzy, I'm afraid. Comes with the territory."

Sense Motive v.: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (13) + 10 = 23

I don't understand how the info under the spoiler relates to the Record Keepers, or how Sense Motive helped Ynge reach that conclusion.

Acquisitives

Female CN skittermander space pirate operative (thief) 3 | SP 9/18 HP 20/20 | RP 4/4 | EAC 15; KAC 16 | Fort +1; Ref +6; Will +3 | Init: +4 | Perc:+9, SM: +6 | Speed 40ft | Active conditions: None.

"Oh, I know these things! They can contain data on them!"


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Duskmire Accord 9 | Beacon Code Dilemma
Ynge wrote:
I don't understand how the info under the spoiler relates to the Record Keepers, or how Sense Motive helped Ynge reach that conclusion.

The info does not relate to directly to the Record Keepers. The mechanic for using Sense Motive to identify the function of insignia was lifted from another scenario. Just sprinkling it in for "flavor".

Kaneeri wrote:
"Oh, I know these things! They can contain data on them!"

"You are correct, Kaneeri." Arvin responds. While his voice is calm, he nevertheless begins pushing most of the items arranged on his desk towards the middle where they may be less apt to be within the reach of any of the skittermander's multiple hands. Once finished "securing" the items, the lashunta Starfinder gives Kaneeri a good long look, then rises from his chair.

"You know, on second thought, why don't I just accompany you down to the see the record keepers?" suggests the Venture-Captain. The lashunta now fully on his feet, continues to keep his eyes affixed upon Kaneeri. "To make sure that things go smoothly...," Arvin pauses for a moment, so to now be more conscientious of his words."With the record keepers, I mean." he continues, choosing his words with care. "They are such sticklers for regulations and I might be able to...leverage my position...to help out."

While the contents of his desk suggest that he has a heavy workload to handle, Arvin nevertheless begins to lead you out of his office toward a nearby elevator, beckoning you all to follow.

Dataphiles

Female NG damaya lashunta icon mystic 3 | SP 15/15 HP 22/22 | RP 2/5 | EAC 15; KAC 15 | Fort +0; Ref +2; Will +7 | Init: +1 | Speed: 30 ft | Perc: +10, SM: +10 | Conditions: None
Abilities/Consumables:
| Acid dart rifle (8/10) | Azimuth pistol (19/20) | Serum of healing, mk I 1/1 | Detect Thoughts 1/1 | Healing Touch 1/1 | Spells: 1st 2/4 | Active conditions: -

Nodding her head in comprehension as Kaneeri explains the function of the insignias, Saeron watches as Arvin corrals the various items arranged on the desk.

Saeron smiles and gives a small chuckles. "It must be an occupational hazard. It certainly matches my experience of most of the librarians and archivists I encountered within the universities of Castrovel."

Adjusting the strap of her satchel, she falls into line behind Arvin and follows him toward the elevator.

Dataphiles

Male NG half-orc cyberborn mechanic 3 | SP 18/18 HP 23/24 | RP 5/6 | EAC 13; KAC 15 | Fort +3; Ref +6; Will +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +4, darkvision 60 ft., SM: +0 | Speed 20ft | Expendables: Pulsecaster Rifle: 40/40 | Active conditions: Environmental Seals

Flenn nods. "Yeah, th' Drow librarians on Apostae had real sticks up their elven sphincters, too."


Duskmire Accord 9 | Beacon Code Dilemma

The elevator delivers you all to a darkened basement area. Arvin directs you into a room in the basement levels, which is dimly lit, aside from the brightly illuminated window counter. The Venture-Captain stands just outside the doorway and gestures for you all to enter.

Inside the window counter, a robot with a thin body and six arms leans on the counter, while a dwarf wearing glasses and a large set of earphones sits hunched over a computer terminal at a desk facing toward the counter, typing furiously.

The robot spreads its arms wide and speaks in a grating and annoyingly chipper voice. “Welcome to the Bureau of Historical Records from Antiquity. I am Recordbot-128. How may I assist you today?”

Second Seekers (Jadnura)

Male Half-Elf Colonist Soldier/Starfinder Forerunner 3 | Spd:30 | SP: 27/27, HP:25/25, RP:4/5 | EAC:17 KAC:19 | Init +8 | Fort:5, Ref:5, Will:4 | Per:9 Sense Motive:1

Orrian gives Flenn a sideways glance but continues along in relative silence.

This part of the mission seems to be better handled by people that have some idea about libraries and archives. Certainly not me.

Wayfinders

Female Dwarf Soldier 4 | SP 25/32 HP 34/34 RP 7/7 | EAC 23 KAC 24 | F +5 R +6 W +7 (+2 pois./spell/SLA) | Init +5 | Perc +10 | Status: -none-

"You've grown so responsible, Arvie." Ynge slaps the Venture Captain's back a couple of times as he leads the way to the building's basement. Once the group gets down into the Bureau, she steps right up to the counter.

"Why, hello there Recordbot-128. We wouldn't be too much of a bother if we asked you to look something up for us, would we?" She raises her eyebrows at the robot. "The supply records for a Society ship, the Amber Reconnoiter?"

Diplomacy: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (15) - 1 = 14


Duskmire Accord 9 | Beacon Code Dilemma
Ynge wrote:
"You're grown so responsible, Arvie."

"Why, thank you." replies the Venture-Captain. Though his face blushes with a hint of red, Arvin attempts to maintain some formality and decorum. "I do try to be a model of service to those agents with whom I've been entrusted."

{{And, if it is not too much of a bother,}} the lashunta broadcasts telepathically to the wizened dwarf, {{Would it be possible to have another cookie? The last one was delicious.}}

A picture of Arvin has been added to the Slides.

Ynge wrote:
"Why, hello there Recordbot-128. We wouldn't be too much of a bother if we asked you to look something up for us, would we?" She raises her eyebrows at the robot. "The supply records for a Society ship, the Amber Reconoiter?"

"Have you already submitted a completed Form 1783B containing your request?" inquires Recordbot-128 in a tone no less grating than before.

Perception (DC 12+):
Behind the window, next to where Recordbot-128 is leaning is a sign that reads, “ALL REQUESTS PROCESSED IN ONE WEEK. NO EXCEPTIONS.”

Wayfinders

Female Dwarf Soldier 4 | SP 25/32 HP 34/34 RP 7/7 | EAC 23 KAC 24 | F +5 R +6 W +7 (+2 pois./spell/SLA) | Init +5 | Perc +10 | Status: -none-

Ynge opens the warming drawer on her armor and offers a fresh cookie to Arvin. When she had the time to bake a fresh batch in between walking to the Halls of Discovery is anyone's guess. "You're always welcome Arvie. Don't be a stranger now."

Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (16) + 10 = 26

"Oh dear, I can't quite recall. Was that the one on lilac stationary, or teal?" She turns to the rest of the group. "I suppose we'll be waiting a week here to get our document in any case. Unless someone has some special borrowing status?"

Dataphiles

Male NG half-orc cyberborn mechanic 3 | SP 18/18 HP 23/24 | RP 5/6 | EAC 13; KAC 15 | Fort +3; Ref +6; Will +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +4, darkvision 60 ft., SM: +0 | Speed 20ft | Expendables: Pulsecaster Rifle: 40/40 | Active conditions: Environmental Seals

Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10

Flenn mutters, "Waitin' a week for information ... What insanity is this?" He glances around, trying to see if there's an access port that he can use to hack into the computer system.

Exo-Guardians

Ammo:
Laser Rifle 20/20 (bat x2); Arc Pistol 10/10 (bat x2); Semi-Auto Pistol 9/9 (sa round exp x9)
Human Mercenary Envoy 5| Sta 35/35 HP 34/34 RP 6/6| EAC 19 KAC 19| Fo +4 Re +8 Wi +4| Init +4 Percep +6|

"A week? Recordbot-128, is there some way to expedite our request or can we get access to do our own data research?"

Dataphiles

Female NG damaya lashunta icon mystic 3 | SP 15/15 HP 22/22 | RP 2/5 | EAC 15; KAC 15 | Fort +0; Ref +2; Will +7 | Init: +1 | Speed: 30 ft | Perc: +10, SM: +10 | Conditions: None
Abilities/Consumables:
| Acid dart rifle (8/10) | Azimuth pistol (19/20) | Serum of healing, mk I 1/1 | Detect Thoughts 1/1 | Healing Touch 1/1 | Spells: 1st 2/4 | Active conditions: -

Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (9) + 9 = 18

A whole week!? Saeron scoffs, incredulous, as she spies the sign in the window behind Recordbot-128.

She waits as Flenn and Ynge try their ideas before approaching the counter and stepping up beside the dwarf.

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22

"Hi there, Recordbot-128," Saeron introduces herself to the robot. "I'm Saeron."

"We have a predicament that you might be able help us with. MP-8, a priest of Triune, has sought our help to find and board the Amber Reconnoiter," she begins, hoping the archival bot looks favourably upon the client. "During a vision from Triune, the location of the missing vessel within the Drift was revealed. MP-8 believes there is an item of great import to Triune within. We need to find out everything we can about the ship's final mission."

"I understand the importance of protocols in maintaining order and not rushing to minimise errors. Perhaps there is something we can assist you with in the meantime, to help expedite the application process?"


Duskmire Accord 9 | Beacon Code Dilemma
Flenn wrote:
Flenn mutters, "Waitin' a week for information ... What insanity is this?" He glances around, trying to see if there's an access port that he can use to hack into the computer system.

Flenn easily spots an access port, which will readily allow him access to the bureau’s page on the infosphere, where a Form 1783B can be completed and submitted electronically. However, the half-orc knows that any submitted request would bear a timestamp for today.

Altering the logged submission date on the form to indicate an earlier date requires a successful Computers check.

Donovan Delacroix wrote:
"A week? Recordbot-128, is there some way to expedite our request or can we get access to do our own data research?"

"A request for information cannot be processed absent compliance with bureau procedures, which require the completion and submission of a properly executed Form 1783B prior to any production by the bureau pursuant to the request." responds Recordbot-128, dismissively. "Once a properly executed Form 1783B has been completed and submitted, the request will be processed and you will receive a response from the bureau in a week." To punctuate its statement, the robot stretches one of its artificial digits to point at a sign next to it that reads, “ALL REQUESTS PROCESSED IN ONE WEEK. NO EXCEPTIONS.”

Saeron Kasari wrote:
"I understand the importance of protocols in maintaining order and not rushing to minimise errors. Perhaps there is something we can assist you with in the meantime, to help expedite the application process?"

"If you understand the importance of protocols and precision, then you should understand that the phrase 'ONE WEEK' means a single week, which is a period of seven, standard days. Likewise,the term 'NO EXCEPTIONS' means, simply, that there are no exceptions." chimes Recordbot-128, once again pointing to the sign. The robot's tone is as patronizing as it is annoyingly chipper.

Moving its hand away from the sign, Recordbot-128 now raises its artificial appendage to execute a condescending wave, "Now, do have a pleasant day."

Dataphiles

Male NG half-orc cyberborn mechanic 3 | SP 18/18 HP 23/24 | RP 5/6 | EAC 13; KAC 15 | Fort +3; Ref +6; Will +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +4, darkvision 60 ft., SM: +0 | Speed 20ft | Expendables: Pulsecaster Rifle: 40/40 | Active conditions: Environmental Seals

Computers: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (4) + 13 = 17

Flenn walks over as the robot lectures the others and enters a doctored Form 1783B, backdated 7 standard days. Assuming he succeeds at this task, he walks back over and says, "Can you check under Cybertooth comma Flenn? I think I filed it in properly."


Duskmire Accord 9 | Beacon Code Dilemma
Flenn wrote:
"Can you check under Cybertooth comma Flenn? I think I filed it in properly."

“Excellent! I will look up your request right away to verify its status.” Recordbot-128 turns to go to datajack into the empty terminal. The robot's actions proceed at an agonizingly slow pace. After several minutes, you hear it muttering, "That is curious. There appears to be an irregularity in the timestamp. Process aborted. Re-initiating the verification process."

As Recordbot-128 once again begins the lengthy verification process, it becomes clear that an alternative solution will be necessary. In the doorway nearby, Venture-Captain Arvin appears to frown at the attempt at forgery. However, he remains silent, saying nothing on the matter.

Meanwhile, about forty-feet away from you, the dwarf that is also sitting behind the glass in the opposite direction from where the lashunta is standing, continues to type away at a computer terminal. The dwarf's reflective glasses shield his eyes from view and the large set of earphones on his head suggest that he has not heard any of your conversation with Recordbot-128.

Perception (DC 12+):
It sounds like the dwarf is listening to Abysshead’s latest record. To be heard, even through the glass, he must be listening at maximum volume!

Each PC can attempt to get the dwarf's attention or otherwise signal to him with a Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate, or appropriate Profession check (any related to performance or yelling).

Acquisitives

Female CN skittermander space pirate operative (thief) 3 | SP 9/18 HP 20/20 | RP 4/4 | EAC 15; KAC 16 | Fort +1; Ref +6; Will +3 | Init: +4 | Perc:+9, SM: +6 | Speed 40ft | Active conditions: None.

PErception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (7) + 9 = 16

Bluff: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (10) + 10 = 20

"Hey, dwarf, your computer's on fire!" shouts Kaneeri, waving several arms in the dwarf's direction.


Duskmire Accord 9 | Beacon Code Dilemma

Seeing that the waving arms of the diminutive Starfinder, even in number, are insufficient to stir the dwarf, Arvin leaves his position by the door. The usually stoic Venture-Captain walks up to the glass and joins the skittermander.

"Bruzek!" Arvin cries to no avail. Arvin redoubles his efforts. "Bruzek! You're the actual bureau head! We need your help here!" continues Arvin, screaming at the top of his lungs and waving his arms.

Despite the efforts of both Kaneeri and Arvin, the dwarf does not stir. Arvin motions to the rest of the party, his eyes indicative of a plea for help.

Additional PC attempts to get the dwarf's attention or otherwise signal to him with a Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate, or appropriate Profession check (any related to performance or yelling) may be helpful here.

Exo-Guardians

Ammo:
Laser Rifle 20/20 (bat x2); Arc Pistol 10/10 (bat x2); Semi-Auto Pistol 9/9 (sa round exp x9)
Human Mercenary Envoy 5| Sta 35/35 HP 34/34 RP 6/6| EAC 19 KAC 19| Fo +4 Re +8 Wi +4| Init +4 Percep +6|

Seeing his team trying to get the dwarf's attention, Donovan joins them. He pulls out a flashlight setting it to spotlight while aiming it at the dwarf. He also activates his voice amplifier and calls out "Bureau head Bruzek. Can have some of your time please?"

Intimidate: 1d20 + 10 + 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 10 + (2) + 2 = 18
The dice roller hates me!

Voice Amplifier:
A voice amplifier greatly increases the volume of your voice. You can switch a voice amplifier on or off as a swift action. When activated, a voice amplifier grants a +2 circumstance bonus to Intimidate checks and lowers the DCs of other creatures’ Perception checks to hear you speaking by 5.

Dataphiles

Male NG half-orc cyberborn mechanic 3 | SP 18/18 HP 23/24 | RP 5/6 | EAC 13; KAC 15 | Fort +3; Ref +6; Will +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +4, darkvision 60 ft., SM: +0 | Speed 20ft | Expendables: Pulsecaster Rifle: 40/40 | Active conditions: Environmental Seals

Flenn, also with a voice amplifier, joins in shouting at the dwarf. "Yo, Bruzek!"

Intimidate: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (13) + 9 = 22


Duskmire Accord 9 | Beacon Code Dilemma

The combined efforts of the Starfinders seem ineffective until Donovan activates his voice amplifier. The dwarf, Burzek, nearly falls out of his chair. Taking off his head-phones and setting them down, the dwarf makes his way over to the counter.

"Yes, yes. Be wit' ya soon." mutters the soft-spoken dwarf. As he speaks, the dwarf appears to look everywhere save at the lot of you. "Jus' got me tasks still t' complete. Merely wantin' a bit more time t' focus and get'em finished. Gotta be fully prepar'd fer anythin', I does. Can't be disruptin' the routine. That's why, I got ole Recordbot-128 'ere. Helps keep me focused and stayin' on task.""

Successful Diplomacy or Intimidate check to convince Bruzek to provide prompt assistance.

Dataphiles

Female NG damaya lashunta icon mystic 3 | SP 15/15 HP 22/22 | RP 2/5 | EAC 15; KAC 15 | Fort +0; Ref +2; Will +7 | Init: +1 | Speed: 30 ft | Perc: +10, SM: +10 | Conditions: None
Abilities/Consumables:
| Acid dart rifle (8/10) | Azimuth pistol (19/20) | Serum of healing, mk I 1/1 | Detect Thoughts 1/1 | Healing Touch 1/1 | Spells: 1st 2/4 | Active conditions: -

Ninja'ed. Updated accordingly.

Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (14) + 9 = 23

"Abysshead," Saeron murmurs, catching the tune blasting through the dwarf's headphones. "That's gotta be hurting his ears," she adds, grimacing.

Saeron watches as the dwarf fumbles about on his desk, ignoring their need for attention.

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23

"So how is it, Bruzek? she calls to the dwarf. "The new Abysshead record? I've heard the new single, but not the whole album."

Should the dwarf respond, she continues such banter for a moment, if he seems interested, before gesturing to the others gathered with her.

"My friends and I need to find some information and Venture-captain Arvin recommended you as the dwarf to see."

Exo-Guardians

Ammo:
Laser Rifle 20/20 (bat x2); Arc Pistol 10/10 (bat x2); Semi-Auto Pistol 9/9 (sa round exp x9)
Human Mercenary Envoy 5| Sta 35/35 HP 34/34 RP 6/6| EAC 19 KAC 19| Fo +4 Re +8 Wi +4| Init +4 Percep +6|

"Yes. We absolutely understand and wouldn't be bothering you at all if it wasn't important. The thing is we have a small window of time to locate and investigate a relic of Triune's and we desperately need your help to get the records we need in a timely manner to do this for the Society. Will you help us?"

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (10) + 10 = 20

1 to 50 of 342 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Valen's SFS 1-25 The Beacon Code (PbP) (October 2019) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.