Thron's Altered Kingmaker

Game Master Litejedi

Roll20 Map

Loot List


5,451 to 5,500 of 5,576 << first < prev | 102 | 103 | 104 | 105 | 106 | 107 | 108 | 109 | 110 | 111 | 112 | next > last >>

Druid (Defender of the True World) 12 | HP: 87/135, AC:30/14/27, Fort:+12/Ref:+12/Will:+13 CMD: 33, Init+8, Perc+18 current form(Arsinotherm) | DR: 5 P

Tikroch sees the Governor get grabbed by... something. Figuring he has just the spell, he casts a bit of magic borrowed from his fey enemies. A soft blue light begins to enshroud Sootscale as Tikroch used his location as a reference. He points to whatever has grabbed the kobold and finally gives Luca a command, Detect, Attack. As Luca takes off, Tikroch is only a few steps behind. Scythe in hand he moves to block Drelev's path.

cast fairy fire, targeting the corner of Sootscale and whatever he is struggling against. Leaving the description of others being enshrouded to allow for spell resistance. Move 60 ft with haste. If neccesary, using air walk to go up and over before back down.


Druid (Defender of the True World) 12 | HP: 87/135, AC:30/14/27, Fort:+12/Ref:+12/Will:+13 CMD: 33, Init+8, Perc+18 current form(Arsinotherm) | DR: 5 P

Luca

Luca Perception vs invisible: 1d20 + 14 + 20 ⇒ (1) + 14 + 20 = 35

Luca peers at the space above Drevlev, trying to make out the telltale signs of the existence of... something. A task made all the easier by the magic taking hold. He tears away from his master's side, all teeth and claws.

Swift to detect. If successful, enemy is denied dex bonus against Luca's attacks until start of next turn. Map isn't loading properly so I'm not sure if he can charge or not. It looked pretty clogged last I looked.

talon: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (4) + 11 = 15
damage: 1d8 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11


With the faerie fire, the concealment is gone.

Tikroch’s spell is able to outline the creature, who has natural invisibility - likely due to the fact that it is just air of some type. Animate, in a vaguely humanoid shape, the creature has amorphous qualities, and is likely related to elementals. What it’s doing here, protecting Hannis Drelev, isn’t clear.

Luca’s attack on the creature misses, as does Mum’s swing.

Now that my presentation is over I can work on the map again tonight, if anyone needs anything moved. Generally it only will load on desktop browsers and Android phones, apparently.

Mum, Sootscale, and Donovan are up.


Rogue 8/Arcanist 1/Fighter 3 | HP83/83 | AC 32(37 with barkskin,41 w/ shield)/DR 2 cold iron/ Fire Res 5 | T 17 | FF 25| CMD 25 (30 disarm/sunder) | F+9, R+15(evasion), W+10 :-2 poison/illusion/disease:+2 fey:+4 plant | Per +21, Sense M +21, Init +6 spells: 3/3 | arcane pool 4/4| prehensile hair 8/8 minutes | flight 8/8 minutes Portrait conditions: Freedom of Movement, Feather Fall, Deathwatch, Fastidious, Endure Elements;, Heroism, hunter's blessing, barkskin, shield

knowledge planes: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 9


Druid (Defender of the True World) 12 | HP: 87/135, AC:30/14/27, Fort:+12/Ref:+12/Will:+13 CMD: 33, Init+8, Perc+18 current form(Arsinotherm) | DR: 5 P

Finally being able to somewhat see the creature, Tikroch ponders on what it might be.
know planes: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (20) + 10 = 30


Tikroch Knowledge:

Tikroch knows it is an invisible stalker. They are outsiders and elementals from the plane of air who are often summoned to the material plain to do the bidding of spellcasters. They have natural invisibility, they are peerless trackers, and they have elemental traits, which is to say:

Immunity to bleed, paralysis, poison, sleep effects, and stunning.
Not subject to critical hits or flanking. Does not take additional damage from precision-based attacks, such as sneak attack.

Proficient with natural weapons only, unless generally humanoid in form, in which case proficient with all simple weapons and any weapons mentioned in its entry.

Proficient with whatever type of armor (light, medium, or heavy) it is described as wearing, as well as all lighter types. Elementals not indicated as wearing armor are not proficient with armor. Elementals are proficient with shields if they are proficient with any form of armor.

Elementals do not breathe, eat, or sleep.

He also knows this must be an “advanced” invisible stalker in some capacity.


Rogue 8/Arcanist 1/Fighter 3 | HP83/83 | AC 32(37 with barkskin,41 w/ shield)/DR 2 cold iron/ Fire Res 5 | T 17 | FF 25| CMD 25 (30 disarm/sunder) | F+9, R+15(evasion), W+10 :-2 poison/illusion/disease:+2 fey:+4 plant | Per +21, Sense M +21, Init +6 spells: 3/3 | arcane pool 4/4| prehensile hair 8/8 minutes | flight 8/8 minutes Portrait conditions: Freedom of Movement, Feather Fall, Deathwatch, Fastidious, Endure Elements;, Heroism, hunter's blessing, barkskin, shield

Ignoring Sootscale being attacked is hard, but this all ends if Drevlev ends. So Mum abandons the grappled governor and flies after the ruler of this land.

attack with fey-bane: 1d20 + 20 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 20 + 1 = 30
damage: 1d6 + 11 ⇒ (1) + 11 = 12

if flank +2 to hit, debilitating injury hampered (half movement, and...
sneak damage: 5d6 ⇒ (3, 4, 6, 6, 2) = 21


I don't think there's any way to get you flanking... unless...

Sootscale Escape Artist: 1d20 + 19 ⇒ (13) + 19 = 32

Sootscale wriggles and squirms, and seeing Mum chasing after the enemy, the little gnome at the moment wriggles out of the grasp of whatever it is, and, grabbing his chakram, arms himself to give Mum and advantage, breathing heavily. He notes, "kill - kill him!" and the Governor is obviously annoyed at the entire thing.

Donovan is still up, updated the map a bit.


Male Human Cleric (Crusader) of Iomedae 12 | 84/90 HP | AC 28 T 13 FF 27 | Fort +10 Ref +5 Will +13 | Init +1 | Perception +17 | Channel Energy 5/5 | Touch of Glory 8/8 | Aura of Heroism 11/11 rounds | Cohort | Bless 12 mins.

The crusader takes some surprisingly swift swings at the soldiers blocking the doorway, starting with the one on the right.

1. +1 adamantine longsword attack, haste, righteous might, Large size: 1d20 + 15 + 1 + 2 - 1 ⇒ (19) + 15 + 1 + 2 - 1 = 36
2. +1 adamantine longsword haste bonus attack, haste, righteous might, Large size: 1d20 + 15 + 1 + 2 - 1 ⇒ (13) + 15 + 1 + 2 - 1 = 30
3. +1 adamantine longsword iterative attack, haste, righteous might, Large size: 1d20 + 10 + 1 + 2 - 1 ⇒ (4) + 10 + 1 + 2 - 1 = 16

1. +1 adamantine longsword confirm crit, haste, righteous might, Large size: 1d20 + 15 + 1 + 2 - 1 ⇒ (13) + 15 + 1 + 2 - 1 = 30

1. Large +1 adamantine longsword damage: 2d6 + 6 ⇒ (2, 5) + 6 = 13
1. Large +1 adamantine longsword crit damage: 2d6 + 6 ⇒ (4, 1) + 6 = 11
2. Large +1 adamantine longsword damage: 2d6 + 6 ⇒ (1, 6) + 6 = 13

Assuming the iterative attack misses.


Numesti and Embryn keep engaging the guards.

claw: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (3) + 12 = 15
sword: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (4) + 14 = 18

Drelev sees that he’s surrounded, and he tries to knock the remaining sword out of Mum’s hand.

disarm , DC 30 with haste: 1d20 + 19 ⇒ (20) + 19 = 39

The feybane clatters to the ground, and he heals himself again, and he steps next to the door, opening it. He shouts down the hall. ”help - help! Tell the giants to start the assault - help!” He turns towards Mum and Sootscale. ”I don’t know who you are - but this is your last warning. When Stroon gets here, he will kill you all!” Standard disarm, 5’ step, lay on hands, open door.

Drelev heals: 6d6 ⇒ (5, 2, 4, 1, 2, 1) = 15

The now visible invisible stalker punches at Luca
air punch: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (17) + 14 = 31
damage: 2d6 + 5 ⇒ (1, 6) + 5 = 12
air punch: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (8) + 14 = 22

Most of the guards try to flee upstairs, but the two engaged with Embryn and Numesti try to attack the pair. They sneer at Numesti, saying, ”traitor - he should have killed you!”
attack Embryn, with penalties included: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15
attack Embryn, with penalties included: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10
attack Numesti, with penalties included: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (3) + 8 = 11
attack Numesti, with penalties included: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4

They’re fine.

Imeckus Stroon, the nonplussed mage, is visible as he comes down the stairs warily. He sees the commotion from afar and calls out, ”Hannis, who did you make angry this time?” Drelev shouts from down the hall in a strained voice, ”Stroon - they’re going to kill me - stop them or they’ll kill you and your sister both.” There’s confusion and bitterness, ”I don’t know who they are - they came out of the secret door - just kill them!”

Stroon sighs and comes around the corner, holding his staff, and frowning, trying to get a better sense of what’s happening. He can’t do much with a double move. The other wounded guards don’t seem to come down.

Drelev’s Domain - Round 3- Everyone/ Bad Guys

Everyone is up.


Will: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (7) + 11 = 18

Angrily, Governor Sootscale hisses at Hannis Drelev, ”Stupid Magic. But you know what? You die anyway!” And he tosses out the bombs of force at the door itself, which bounce off with a thud, pummeling Hannis Drelev.

3 force bombs reflex saves, DC 22: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (10) + 15 = 25
3 force bombs reflex saves, DC 22: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (1) + 15 = 16
3 force bombs reflex saves, DC 22: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (13) + 15 = 28

Drelev takes 6+12+6. A stiff breeze would knock him over.

After he does this, he steps over and gesture for Mum to attack with flank. He hisses,whispering, ”kill him. Remember what he said about …her?” He catches himself.


Rogue 8/Arcanist 1/Fighter 3 | HP83/83 | AC 32(37 with barkskin,41 w/ shield)/DR 2 cold iron/ Fire Res 5 | T 17 | FF 25| CMD 25 (30 disarm/sunder) | F+9, R+15(evasion), W+10 :-2 poison/illusion/disease:+2 fey:+4 plant | Per +21, Sense M +21, Init +6 spells: 3/3 | arcane pool 4/4| prehensile hair 8/8 minutes | flight 8/8 minutes Portrait conditions: Freedom of Movement, Feather Fall, Deathwatch, Fastidious, Endure Elements;, Heroism, hunter's blessing, barkskin, shield

sword: 1d20 + 20 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 20 + 1 + 2 = 40
damage: 1d6 + 11 + 5d6 ⇒ (5) + 11 + (3, 5, 3, 6, 5) = 38
--
confirm: 1d20 + 20 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 20 + 1 + 2 = 27
damage: 1d6 + 11 ⇒ (1) + 11 = 12

--
will: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (10) + 13 = 23

"You are going to die, Drelev." the dark-haired woman says calmly as she reaches down to pick up her blade. "I don't mean that to cause you distress or to upend you in any way. Just to prepare for the inevitable." then she stabs him in his side, ramming her favorite blade to the hilt into his soft flesh.

Mum leans into him as the pain spikes into his pain, her mouth next to his ear, letting disdain rush into her voice "The soft queen of the east, as you called her, sends you her regards. You should have never f&%!ed with Sophiel Medvyed, you arrogant little man. And because of that you die today." she twists her blade, letting the metal scrap against his now torn stomach "And Everyone, from your enemies to your own people, even your concubines, will Cheer your death."

She rips her blade free, slamming her armored boot to his knee and sending him down to the ground. Standing above him with dripping blade, she asks in her calm voice again "Any last words, Baron?"


Blood erupts from the mouth of Baron Hannis Drelev, and he coughs, uncomprehending, ”wh… what? But - this isn’t fff..” he wheezes and coughs, again, in obvious pain, and tries to push himself up, ”… this… is … not… what … she… prom…” and clutching his side, his eyes roll back and he slumps to the ground, lifeless.

With a sigh, the invisible stalker says in Auran,

Auran:
”Thank you…”
and then disappears.


Male Medium Vampire (Dhampir) Arcanist 12 | HP: 62/62 | AC: 21 | Init: +7 | F: +6, R: +7, W: +8 | P+17, Bl +23, Scrft +23, UMD +30, Knw A/D/L/N/P/R +23, G/H/No +17| Speed 30ft | 1: 5/6, 2: 4/6, 3: 4/6, 4: 5/6, 5: 5/5, 6: 3/3| Reservoir 8/15 |Active Conditions: See Invis, MA, Hero Chrysa

Vincent slips easily around the remaining battles and halts at the bottom of the stairs to stare up at Stroon.

"Stand down. We have no quarrel with you." The vampire says cooly. "Unless you attack us. Drelev is dead and so is his war. You and your sister don't need to die too."

Ready action to cast Feeblemind if he tries to cast something.

Spellcraft for ID and Dispel: 1d20 + 19 ⇒ (1) + 19 = 20


1d20 ⇒ 15

The wizard nods, and without dropping his staff, holds up his hands. He says, with care and deliberation , ”very well, young man. If what you say is true, I intend to flee this fetid swamp, with her, immediately. I have my own means, but my intent is to leave now. May I depart?” He is watching Vincent with intent, though it doesn’t appear to be malign, it is … curious.

The other guards seem to be unsure what to do, though they are engaged with Embryn and Numesti, they crane their necks to try and see what happened to Drelev.

Combat over-ish, if you want.


Rogue 8/Arcanist 1/Fighter 3 | HP83/83 | AC 32(37 with barkskin,41 w/ shield)/DR 2 cold iron/ Fire Res 5 | T 17 | FF 25| CMD 25 (30 disarm/sunder) | F+9, R+15(evasion), W+10 :-2 poison/illusion/disease:+2 fey:+4 plant | Per +21, Sense M +21, Init +6 spells: 3/3 | arcane pool 4/4| prehensile hair 8/8 minutes | flight 8/8 minutes Portrait conditions: Freedom of Movement, Feather Fall, Deathwatch, Fastidious, Endure Elements;, Heroism, hunter's blessing, barkskin, shield

Mum nods to Vincent, agreeing with his plan fully. Flying into the room with the guards, she lands in the center, her eyes moving around to each of them.

intimidaiton: 1d20 + 20 ⇒ (19) + 20 = 39

In a voice filled with the authority of a Baroness, she announces "The battle is over. Drop your weapons and return to your homes." She cleans her blade of their ruler's blood, as a visual display of what will happen if they don't. "Flee the city if you have done things the citizens will want payback for, or stay and help rebuild if your conscience is clean."


Male Medium Vampire (Dhampir) Arcanist 12 | HP: 62/62 | AC: 21 | Init: +7 | F: +6, R: +7, W: +8 | P+17, Bl +23, Scrft +23, UMD +30, Knw A/D/L/N/P/R +23, G/H/No +17| Speed 30ft | 1: 5/6, 2: 4/6, 3: 4/6, 4: 5/6, 5: 5/5, 6: 3/3| Reservoir 8/15 |Active Conditions: See Invis, MA, Hero Chrysa

"Depart, swiftly." Vincent agrees, not taking his eyes from the wizard. "The Queen will not wish to see you in these lands again unless you intend to swear your allegiance to her."

He waits and watches until the wizard leaves and still seems to be alert afterwards.

"We should make sure he's left." He says, mostly focusing on Mum. "If Drelev wanted his help then he's the biggest remaining threat. Once he's gone - then we've won."


Rogue 8/Arcanist 1/Fighter 3 | HP83/83 | AC 32(37 with barkskin,41 w/ shield)/DR 2 cold iron/ Fire Res 5 | T 17 | FF 25| CMD 25 (30 disarm/sunder) | F+9, R+15(evasion), W+10 :-2 poison/illusion/disease:+2 fey:+4 plant | Per +21, Sense M +21, Init +6 spells: 3/3 | arcane pool 4/4| prehensile hair 8/8 minutes | flight 8/8 minutes Portrait conditions: Freedom of Movement, Feather Fall, Deathwatch, Fastidious, Endure Elements;, Heroism, hunter's blessing, barkskin, shield

Mum's attention focuses on Vincent. She listens, then nods. A low whistle calls to her bird who flutters around the nearest window. A series of clicks and whistles tells her to follow the wizard until he leaves the castle.


The whippoorwill flits upstairs.

Most of the standing guards scramble and run down the stairs. Two remain, who look warily at Numesti, one asks ”truly? We’re free?” Numesti puts away his sword and leans on Embryn, tired, who holds him up. ”yes - they killed Drelev, it’s over.”

With relief, one turns to the ones fleeing, ”yeah, run, Tomas! If I see you again, you bastard, I’ll stab you in the eye!” He turns back to the others, ”we didn’t sign up for it - some of those guards were monsters. And Drelev was the worst. He wasn’t needlessly cruel, or anything - just, practical. He would kill anyone who stood in his way, in creative ways.” He shudders.

Numesti says, ”I know, young man. None of us knew thought Drelev capable of this. But we will put it to mend.”Q He turns to the others in the party, ”some tasks remain to be seen, and I believe you will have some work to do to route the last malcontents out of the town, but we thank you.” He moves to sit down at the table nearby. Embryn helps him, her hand on his back, and asks everyone, ”Tamary? Can you save her? I don’t think the slough will be safe until Armag and his goons are gone.”

A few minutes later, the little bird returns and whispers something in a chirping voice to Mum.


Rogue 8/Arcanist 1/Fighter 3 | HP83/83 | AC 32(37 with barkskin,41 w/ shield)/DR 2 cold iron/ Fire Res 5 | T 17 | FF 25| CMD 25 (30 disarm/sunder) | F+9, R+15(evasion), W+10 :-2 poison/illusion/disease:+2 fey:+4 plant | Per +21, Sense M +21, Init +6 spells: 3/3 | arcane pool 4/4| prehensile hair 8/8 minutes | flight 8/8 minutes Portrait conditions: Freedom of Movement, Feather Fall, Deathwatch, Fastidious, Endure Elements;, Heroism, hunter's blessing, barkskin, shield

"Stroon is gone" Mum tells the room, but looking to Vincent first. "With him no longer as a danger we can." she answers Embryn. "The giants agreed to stand down as long as they got paid. We need to make sure they receive what they are due. Once that is done, Armag and Tamary will be our next priority."

She looks to the others to see if anyone disagrees.


Druid (Defender of the True World) 12 | HP: 87/135, AC:30/14/27, Fort:+12/Ref:+12/Will:+13 CMD: 33, Init+8, Perc+18 current form(Arsinotherm) | DR: 5 P

Tikroch calls Luca back to his side as soon as the violence is over. It wouldn't do to have more death than necessary.

"My deal with the Lady was to put an end to Drelev. That is done so I expect my fee is paid for her support now. There was nothing mentioned of barbarians and hostages. Agreed though that we need to get the giants their pay, a deal was struck to stay their hand from destroying the town and they kept their end."

Thinking on it a bit more, he asks, "Are these barbarians prone to kidnapping people or is this a new development?" He is keen to track down irregularities that may lead to his ultimate quarry.


Male Medium Vampire (Dhampir) Arcanist 12 | HP: 62/62 | AC: 21 | Init: +7 | F: +6, R: +7, W: +8 | P+17, Bl +23, Scrft +23, UMD +30, Knw A/D/L/N/P/R +23, G/H/No +17| Speed 30ft | 1: 5/6, 2: 4/6, 3: 4/6, 4: 5/6, 5: 5/5, 6: 3/3| Reservoir 8/15 |Active Conditions: See Invis, MA, Hero Chrysa

"Take me to the treasury." Vincent commands the nearest guard, before looking back to Mum. "I'll make sure it's safe. You deal with whatever else needs doing up here." With the wizard and his spellbook gone there isn't likely to be much of interest for Vincent now. On the other hand he got the spellbook of a centuries old Lich only a few months ago - he still has plenty to do.

With that he follows the guard, preparing to count large amounts of coin!


Numesti says, ”well - if you cannot rescue my other daughter - I thank you for your help, but have more work to do.” He struggles to stand, and Embryn pats him on the arm, ”don’t be dramatic old man - they’ll help, and if they don’t, I’ll help at least.” She frowns at Tikroch, but looks at the others ”This lady, Medved? Medived? Can we talk to her? Maybe she’d pay to rescue his daughter. I mean - Kisandra sent you right?”

Numesti sits himself down with a wheeze, his injuries have stopped bleeding, but he doesn’t want to seem to test them ”no, young man, they aren’t even from around here. I know they’re in league with Pitax - how I’m not sure. Drelev gave them my daughter to ensure my compliance. And others in town. I suspect the town won’t trust this lady of yours, and I won’t be much use - without them being rescued.” He looks forlorn, ”in fact, with Hannis dead and those loyal to him fled - it is only a matter of time before they kill all the hostages. They’ll know I betrayed him.” He looks down and holds his face in his hands, and starts to weep silently.

**********************

Without too much effort, a key to the treasury is grabbed from the corpse of Hannis Drelev, who also has the following: +2 mithril breastplate, +2 combat training (combat reflexes) aldori dueling sword, masterwork throwing axes (3), belt of physical might +4 (Constitution and Strength), boots of striding and springing, cloak of resistance +2, ring of protection +2, rod of splendor, key ring (contains other keys to all locks in the keep).

Using these keys, it’s possible to open the large door to the vault. Sadly, Hannis Drelev was as tattered in wealth as he was on his person - a ragged ruler playacting at station. Vincent finds within only 200 pp, 986 gp, 2,460 sp, 815 cp, and 30 silver ingots bearing the baron’s personal seal, each worth 25 gp.

However, he also finds a sizable number of relatively valuable trade goods that appear to be marked for the giants. Fine knotted hardwoods, ceramics from some exceptional clay pit, high quality cloth, alchemical substances from the swamp, and the like. It seems that this was to be their “pay” though it’s possible that Hannis Drelev would be counting on some sort of switch - knowing that the giants would get less than market value, they would settle for less equivalent currency. These are with a goodly number of BP for whomever, but if liquidated would be a fraction of the value. The giants look to have been owed about 10,000 gp worth of “stuff” but if you want to keep the leader safe (and even get their allegiance) you would either need to find a way to liquidate it for them, or give them equivalent currency or items - then liquidate them later/hope Sophie pays you back for it (probably?).

***********************

Searching the rooms upstairs, they find one more still occupied behind a locked door, with a woman wearing finery not of a noble, but of a wealthy merchant, though she is armored. She seems very pleased to see everyone, ”wonderful, wonderful! I suppose I have to thank you for freedom from that contemptible man. My name is Lady Quintessa Maray - to whom do I have the pleasure of speaking?” She has dark hair and olive skin, and dark eyeshadow with purple lipstick.


Rogue 8/Arcanist 1/Fighter 3 | HP83/83 | AC 32(37 with barkskin,41 w/ shield)/DR 2 cold iron/ Fire Res 5 | T 17 | FF 25| CMD 25 (30 disarm/sunder) | F+9, R+15(evasion), W+10 :-2 poison/illusion/disease:+2 fey:+4 plant | Per +21, Sense M +21, Init +6 spells: 3/3 | arcane pool 4/4| prehensile hair 8/8 minutes | flight 8/8 minutes Portrait conditions: Freedom of Movement, Feather Fall, Deathwatch, Fastidious, Endure Elements;, Heroism, hunter's blessing, barkskin, shield

"Travelling all the way back to the green lands just to talk to the Lady will lead to your daughter's death. Time is not on her side." Mum the do-gooder mercenary says. A moment passes with the Baroness behind wondering how she got herself in situations like this at all. The barbarians are a threat, simple as that, and any allies that could be used to blunt their advance is worth it.

Mum looks to the wounded father "Time might not be, but we are, and the Green Lady is too." inwardly Chrysa wonders if she can start Green lady to be Soph's new nickname. "I'll help. And I am certain if you ask, the great governor of her subterranean lands will offer his aid" her dark eyes look to the druid and cleric "And her coffers."

------------------------------

"Mum, my lady" Mum says, grinning outwardly, while inwardly wary. "The once contemptible now dead man was holding you captive?"


Planes DC 20:

One of the Eldest of the first world is named “The Green Mother.” She is a goddess of carnivorous plants, seduction, and intrigue.

Numesti nods in thanks. Embryn says, ”if you need help - I’m still game, or I can guard my godfather. Whatever you think is best. Well, Terrion may be the best steward you can find, if he can stay healthy…” He looks a little concerned for him still, ”I’ve got some swampy remedies and such, but he needs to rest in a bed for a few days at least. What do you want me to do?” As the events wind down, you notice that the woman’s got a an intense, wiry strength. Her stringy long black hair keeps falling into her eyes, and she has a handsome face, though her features are sharp.

Local DC 15:

Embryn is a hagspawn, a changeling of some sort.

Her attitude seems positive, mostly, but she has a sort of sorrowful air about her.

****************

The woman nods sadly, ”I was attempting to find some help to regain some of my holdings to the southeast. That dreadful revolution took everything. A few months ago Hannis Drelev was charming and he made great promises to me- that he would lead a force. Nothing came to pass, despite his… advances and the promises he made. I tried to give him what he wanted, but he spiraled more and more out-of-control. I managed to get myself some autonomy - but…” she moves to shake Mum’s hand, and then embrace her. ”thank you - thank you for saving me!”


Druid (Defender of the True World) 12 | HP: 87/135, AC:30/14/27, Fort:+12/Ref:+12/Will:+13 CMD: 33, Init+8, Perc+18 current form(Arsinotherm) | DR: 5 P

know planes: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (14) + 10 = 24

Tikroch immediately gets goosebumps as soon as Mum mentions The Green Lady. He quickly shakes off the feeling and interjects, "That name... It is near to the name of one of the Eldest of the fey." He annunciates Eldest, not as an age, but as a title. "The Green Mother is known, as much as can be said to be known of the fey, to have her claws in schemes and plots. As most of the First World is ruled by tricks and pranks, she is powerful indeed. I wonder if her influence isn't slipping into this world as well, similar to those calpinas Donovan and I encountered when we first arrived in this region."

After seeing looks of confusion from everyone, he explains further. "When we first arrived, we found a group of calpinas that claimed to have accidentally crossed onto our plane of existence through no effort on their part. Simply traveled through a cave and ended up here but couldn't go back."

Replying to the comment about coffers, "It is not money that brought me to this task, but the promise of support. I think there's something... deeper... going on in these lands but it beyond my singular talents to sus out. Lady Sophiel offered her help in return for me engaging in this takeover effort. I suppose it would be prudent to stay in her good graces as there doesn't seem to be another to which I can turn. I suppose I've inherited a rescue effort against barbarians as a follow on."

==========================
On freeing the captive Noble

Tikroch eyes the woman suspiciously but not with any kind of malice. She's simply another extraneous detail to assess before moving on.


Male Human Cleric (Crusader) of Iomedae 12 | 84/90 HP | AC 28 T 13 FF 27 | Fort +10 Ref +5 Will +13 | Init +1 | Perception +17 | Channel Energy 5/5 | Touch of Glory 8/8 | Aura of Heroism 11/11 rounds | Cohort | Bless 12 mins.

Donovan cleans off his adamantine sword out of habit. (It's not as if a little blood is going to rust the magical blade.) He switches to providing medical care for the captives, working on treating minor wounds, providing food and water to those who need it, and getting everyone out into the open air again.

"Barbarian warlords have come to these lands in the past, I believe, so history repeats," he comments idly as he rejoins the team during the clean-up. "The timing is suspicious. So much of this all seems oddly orchestrated, one crisis at a time, all in a row, just enough to keep a constant threat to the region. If it were decisive enemy action, Armag would've invaded while Drelev was also a threat, simultaneously. So something else is going on."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Rogue 8/Arcanist 1/Fighter 3 | HP83/83 | AC 32(37 with barkskin,41 w/ shield)/DR 2 cold iron/ Fire Res 5 | T 17 | FF 25| CMD 25 (30 disarm/sunder) | F+9, R+15(evasion), W+10 :-2 poison/illusion/disease:+2 fey:+4 plant | Per +21, Sense M +21, Init +6 spells: 3/3 | arcane pool 4/4| prehensile hair 8/8 minutes | flight 8/8 minutes Portrait conditions: Freedom of Movement, Feather Fall, Deathwatch, Fastidious, Endure Elements;, Heroism, hunter's blessing, barkskin, shield

Mum watches two of her companions, the spark of interest seemingly much more keen than the simple merc persona would imply. After that moment, and Tikroch's explanation of colorful ladies "She is also a prostitute that specializes in body paint in Absalom." she smiles, adding "Green lady I mean. Also there one using the name that was a half-orc wise woman I met in the alleys of Korvosa who heard the whispers of the city and baked the BEST cookies." the dark-haired woman laughed, though there was a wistfulness at least at the memory of those cookies. "Lady Sophiel is who I was meaning. Due to her rumored love of plants. I apologize for the confusion." she bows quickly in apology.

A wiry smile appears on her lips though for those keen on perception.

Turning to the cleric "Agreed, the timing of many things seem too... scripted. Does this mean you are willing to help save the young woman from the clutches of the barbarians?"


Male Human Cleric (Crusader) of Iomedae 12 | 84/90 HP | AC 28 T 13 FF 27 | Fort +10 Ref +5 Will +13 | Init +1 | Perception +17 | Channel Energy 5/5 | Touch of Glory 8/8 | Aura of Heroism 11/11 rounds | Cohort | Bless 12 mins.

"Of course. Whatever the true motivations behind these events, we must respond to each crisis in order to resolve it—and in hopes that, at some point, the true architect, if there is one, will be revealed."


Rogue 8/Arcanist 1/Fighter 3 | HP83/83 | AC 32(37 with barkskin,41 w/ shield)/DR 2 cold iron/ Fire Res 5 | T 17 | FF 25| CMD 25 (30 disarm/sunder) | F+9, R+15(evasion), W+10 :-2 poison/illusion/disease:+2 fey:+4 plant | Per +21, Sense M +21, Init +6 spells: 3/3 | arcane pool 4/4| prehensile hair 8/8 minutes | flight 8/8 minutes Portrait conditions: Freedom of Movement, Feather Fall, Deathwatch, Fastidious, Endure Elements;, Heroism, hunter's blessing, barkskin, shield

Mum gives the cleric a slight smile, and then bows to him as well. "Thank you, good sir."


Rogue 8/Arcanist 1/Fighter 3 | HP83/83 | AC 32(37 with barkskin,41 w/ shield)/DR 2 cold iron/ Fire Res 5 | T 17 | FF 25| CMD 25 (30 disarm/sunder) | F+9, R+15(evasion), W+10 :-2 poison/illusion/disease:+2 fey:+4 plant | Per +21, Sense M +21, Init +6 spells: 3/3 | arcane pool 4/4| prehensile hair 8/8 minutes | flight 8/8 minutes Portrait conditions: Freedom of Movement, Feather Fall, Deathwatch, Fastidious, Endure Elements;, Heroism, hunter's blessing, barkskin, shield

As the dust settles and the bodies cool, Mum talks to Tikroch. She is aware of her slip in the time bubble and that he knows enough to be either wary or intrigued about who she really is.

"The giants can be a boon in the days to come. If you have a way to contact the Queen of Gliocas, I can talk to the Giants to make sure they stay intact until Sophiel can send their payment." She tilts her head, the shift in her carefree mercenary with a heart of gold is just enough that someone this close and Really looking can notice the difference. "Is that acceptable?" The question is simple, but with an interested and respectful weight behind it.


Druid (Defender of the True World) 12 | HP: 87/135, AC:30/14/27, Fort:+12/Ref:+12/Will:+13 CMD: 33, Init+8, Perc+18 current form(Arsinotherm) | DR: 5 P

Tikroch stares at her as he considers Mum's request. Whether he is searching for some sort of falsehood or is simply mentally cataloging his known magics, it doesn't last long. "I can prepare the spell to contact her in the morning along with other spells that may prove... useful."


Mum and Vincent head over to Kollis with the ingots and gems in a sack, and the morose-looking hill giant looks confused. "Eh? I thought you were just going to ... this is everything Drelev promised? I thought he was up to something." He looks down at the gold and picks up an ingot between his fingers, and squeezes, grunting, "mhmmm. Real." The ingot squishes slightly.

He considers Mum for a few moments. "Alright. This will satisfy them. We'll head out - maybe to the mountains near Belzken. There has to be some town we can live near, with this money." He opens his mouth, and hesitates, full of flat teeth, "you mentioned Shadowfall. What is that? A city? Would we be safe there?" He jerks his neck up towards the cousins, "would we be able to work?"


1 person marked this as a favorite.

A little after the giants are dealt with...

Sootscale coughs and retrieves some paperwork from his satchel, dismissing the illusion from himself. Numesti gives a start, but Embryn regards him cooley. Sootscale grunts, "what? I am a kobold. This is not that crazy." He coughs and clears his throat again, "tired of gnome voice! Now I get to be Governor again!" He cackles, and Numesti looks at Embryn. He says to Numesti, "okay - we save everyone and town, you gather townfolk around, I have announcement." Numesti looks confused, but healthier since Donovan's care.

He looks at Mum who had been giving orders, "should I do what he says? What's going on?"

Sootscale snorts and interrupts, "I am Governor Sootscale of Gliocas' Underground Province. Master Alchemist." He taps his head, "Genius. Knowledgeable about magic, history, people, the wilds, more than almost anyone in 300 miles. I am representative of Prime Minister - the former Lady of Medvyed, Sophiel. Look at this." He shows Numesti a writ that, in fact, authorizes Sootscale to act in Sophiel's stead. "What you think? Kobold can't be in charge?"

Numesti looks flummoxed, but Sootscale continues, "yes, yes. Strange for humans to understand. But kobolds just like elf, dwarft, human, etc. We have a society. We are all different. Don't be racist jerk, okay? Sophiel and I are friends and she trusts me. She write it there, right? And she's a humanish. So is that good enough? You get the townsfolk? She wants to help everyone." He rubs his scaly hands together, "I want to figure out how we can all get rich off Slough. All of us, not me or anything. Got it?"

Numesti nods, and straightens up. "Of course, Governor. My apologies. Truly. I should not have reacted that way. We had heard that the kobolds of the Narlmarches were dangerous, is all."

Sootscale grins, "oh - yes, we are." He cackles giddily, "but so is Mum and Vincent and these two big guys. Everyone is dangerous. Pitax is danger to you yes? Armag? Sophiel is most dangerous - other than Brevoy." He shakes his head, "dangerous - means what? Nothing. We look like little dragon, so people make us second-class. Sophiel doesn't. She treats us the same. Anyone who disagrees - punished. Got it?"

Numesti nods, and bows to Sootscale, "again, my apologies. I'll gather the townsfolk." Numesti leaves to go talk to Satinder and begin the processes of getting everyone gathered up.

Sootscale turns to Embryn and says, "what, you don't care?"

Embryn laughs, "care? why? My mom was a hag. But Numesti has a good heart, just give him time. If you truly want to help this town - everyone will come around, no matter what you look like."


Maray

Quintessa Maray cocks her head when she sees Donovan, "you're different - out of place. A knight? Here in the wilds? How do you get along..." She seems amazed, "it must be difficult. Your companions surely are motley, well suited to a more chaotic environment... you must be quite brave to be here with them." She tilts her head slightly and looks at Donovan.

She continues, "Perhaps you could help me with my task? I am seeking aid - as I said - to regain some land of mine taken from my family in Northwestern Galt. This would be a gallant task - the revolutionaries have no regard for station, or propriety, but these are rabble - unconnected from the government, exploiting the chaos for their own ends - a a decisive blow is all they need to feel to know they cannot take what they want without consequence." She wrings her hands, and comes closer, "I merely need a few swordarms for a week or so. You look like the leader here - maybe someone like you is just whom we need to bring sanity back to at least part of Galt... a Knight..." She folds her hands in front of herself, eyes pleading, and tears seem to spring to the corners, "I lost so much already coming here. I have little now, and nowhere else to turn."

She shakes her head, "and that man, the Baron, he ... he promised so much ... I can't believe what he had me - " her throat catches, and she seems to be trying to drive away a bad memory. She shakes her head, and steps back, holding her hands up close, defensively, as if, "forgive me, Sir, if I have asked for too much."


Male Medium Vampire (Dhampir) Arcanist 12 | HP: 62/62 | AC: 21 | Init: +7 | F: +6, R: +7, W: +8 | P+17, Bl +23, Scrft +23, UMD +30, Knw A/D/L/N/P/R +23, G/H/No +17| Speed 30ft | 1: 5/6, 2: 4/6, 3: 4/6, 4: 5/6, 5: 5/5, 6: 3/3| Reservoir 8/15 |Active Conditions: See Invis, MA, Hero Chrysa

Vincent, once the giants are dealt with, takes over the wizard's chambers. The man has left behind quite a variety of tools and notes which apparently no longer had value for him but the vampire finds them fascinating. In particular the primers on enchanting seem to absorb him fully and the vampire sequesters himself almost totally for days - emerging almost a week later with a satisfied expression and a new friend, a well fed and remarkably helpful rat.

"Give me some time and the cost for raw materials and I should be able to improve quite a bit of your equipment." He explains to Mum when he gets a chance. "Enchanting is remarkably interesting - I've never put magic into practise like this before."


As a reminder, the requested 6 days of sequestration may not be available. There is a time limit to deal with Armag and rescue the hostages. It isn’t clear what the time limit is.

An investigation of the documents in Delev’s desk indicates a missive noting that Pitax, the relatively rich and large country to the west, is financing the Tiger Clan. They have a relatively large number of troops - and together with the Tiger clan would actually be a reasonable threat to Gliocas and Shadowfall.

While Drelev’s tactical ability and magical support was able to fend off unorganized barbarians, it was impossible for him to defend himself. It seems likely that were they given a will and time, they would also be a threat to Shadowfall and Gliocas.

In addition, missives in Drelev’s desk indicate the chief, Armag, is searching for some weapon of great power - Ovinrbaane - due to a prophecy, and he seems to believe that if he finds it, he’ll become unstoppable. It isn’t clear what the truth is, but Drelev provided whatever resources they asked for, obviously supplicating to their requests.

History checks might be of value to try and figure out what’s going on with Armag and Ovinrbaane.


Rogue 8/Arcanist 1/Fighter 3 | HP83/83 | AC 32(37 with barkskin,41 w/ shield)/DR 2 cold iron/ Fire Res 5 | T 17 | FF 25| CMD 25 (30 disarm/sunder) | F+9, R+15(evasion), W+10 :-2 poison/illusion/disease:+2 fey:+4 plant | Per +21, Sense M +21, Init +6 spells: 3/3 | arcane pool 4/4| prehensile hair 8/8 minutes | flight 8/8 minutes Portrait conditions: Freedom of Movement, Feather Fall, Deathwatch, Fastidious, Endure Elements;, Heroism, hunter's blessing, barkskin, shield

With the giants,

Mum considers upward for a moment. "Not that I'm an expert, but from all account the Fall is a land that respects strength, which you got., protects kids, which you got, and honors Deals, which you did. So Kollis, I'd say Yes, if the stories are right, you Could find work there. Heck I'd go as far as guarantee it." the warrior grins.


Kollis grumbles, "fine - fine, alright. We'll check it out. Are we going to be attacked if we go there, or what? Is there a passphrase or something?"

***********************

Numesti gathers the townsfolk - only a few guards are remaining, those who weren't driven off. This includes Satinder Morne. Everyone gathers in the courtyard. The people look bedraggled, and tired, but seem extremely relieved. Sootscale hops onto a stage, and a few boxes are piled up in front of a dais. He clears his throut, and then drinks a little concoction, and clears it again, muttering somethign to himself. He starts, his voice much louder than his frame would indicate.

"Good Afternoon, people of the Slough. My name is Sootscale. I am Governor of a province in the country just to east. Its name is Gliocas. They have leader, Sophiel. She is nice and wants to help you all. She send me, important leader, to act in her stead, because she is busy."

He clears his throat, "so, what that mean? Well, normally - she save you, she gets all your town. Or at least, that is the Kobold way. But she created this thing, where people have the right to um... self-determination. Or she stole it from other country. I don't remember."

He shakes his head, "anyway, she offers the people here citizenship in Gliocas if you want. You just all ... 'vote' on whether you want it or not. If majority says yes, town and environment comes under her protection." He waves his arms, "very helpful! She has armies, big ones. Enough to resist attack. And she can build all the other town infrastructure up, like wall and road, and will build university in town. All cities in Gliocas get a university eventually. Lots of other benefits - healthcare, free education. Just have to follow the rules - simple things, like don't be jerk." He waves dismissively, "that means to people who are different. I am little dragon, so you treat me and my kin okay, no problems. Got it? Everyone different."

He nods, then his improvised speech continues, "anyway, if majority votes to join, you don't have to leave, you can own land, etc, but you don't get to vote on laws. And you still have to follow them. That's the rules. If you don't like that then you leave, nobody stop you. Got it?" He goes into his bag and retrieves a small box and a number of papers with some writing on it, then returns to the podium.

"She not queen. She elected using this vote thing. She not god or king. She person. If she does bad job, you vote for someone new. So how does vote work? Well - secret. You each take paper - I count all of you already - small people - check yes or no, then fold and put in box. Then I count vote publically." He opens the box to show it off, "no trick - just box." Beckoning, he waves for everyone to come over, "okay, when you get ballot - you tell me name. I have list."

The crowd largely seems confused until Numesti steps up, retrieves a ballot, and publically marks "Yes" on the ballot, showing it to everyone assembled, and then turns back to the party, "this is best for the town, but... I'll hold you to helping my daughter."

Some of the other townfolk, follow Numesti, to get the ballot, and with each person, Sootscale gives a toothy grin and hands them a weathered piece of paper and a bit of charcoal. They don't seem to have any questions, and they retire to wherever they want to go.

Satinder approaches, raising an eyebrow as she looks at everyone, and folds her arms "hmmm? Does she really think the River Kingdoms are ready for this?" She looks at the others, as much as Sootscale.


Rogue 8/Arcanist 1/Fighter 3 | HP83/83 | AC 32(37 with barkskin,41 w/ shield)/DR 2 cold iron/ Fire Res 5 | T 17 | FF 25| CMD 25 (30 disarm/sunder) | F+9, R+15(evasion), W+10 :-2 poison/illusion/disease:+2 fey:+4 plant | Per +21, Sense M +21, Init +6 spells: 3/3 | arcane pool 4/4| prehensile hair 8/8 minutes | flight 8/8 minutes Portrait conditions: Freedom of Movement, Feather Fall, Deathwatch, Fastidious, Endure Elements;, Heroism, hunter's blessing, barkskin, shield

Mum gives the giant's all they need to know and say to get into the Fall with minimal violence. Thinking it requesting to talk to her Pharasma priest who runs the place while she is away

----------

Mum had been watching from the side, arms crossed comfortably and leaning against a post. Looking relaxed, but ready to come to the governor's aid at a moments notice.

At Satinder's question, she shrugs. "Maybe, but whether or not the people will embrace all this or it all will fall back into simple ruling, is less important that whether or not I think they'll follow Lady Sophiel either way. Which I think they will. The River Kingdom's respect strength, and she just proved she can take over a country with FIVE people. All the rest of it is just... icing."

And if things start turning south, the Baroness of the Fall will redirect it from the shadows as violently as necessary.


Forgot to roll a skill check for Sootscale.

diplomacy: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (8) + 11 = 19 ”We leaving tomorrow to rescue prisoners - so get vote to me by then! I am staying in castle.”

Satinder sighs, ”I’m skeptical. But I owe you all. You kept everyone safe and Drelev is dead. I may not look like it - but I am a priestess. Of Calistra.” She smiles slightly, ”fine.” She retrieves one of the ballots, and in plain view marks the box that says ‘join’. Her voice elevated she adds, ”what do we have to lose?” Stuffing the ballot into the box, she steps back, and folding her arms, watches everyone else.

Embryn steps forward and retrieves a ballot, and marks yes as well.

Most of the citizens line up and take the ballots from Sootscale, who smiles toothily at them as he checks off their name from a list. Some shake their heads and walk away. Some of the guards who were guarding Drelev move to vote as well, nervously asking if they were allowed. Sootscale shrugs, ”eh, no matter.” In short order most of the ballots are taken, some are returned immediately, and a good number are taken back to the people’s homes to think about the question of the day.


Male Human Cleric (Crusader) of Iomedae 12 | 84/90 HP | AC 28 T 13 FF 27 | Fort +10 Ref +5 Will +13 | Init +1 | Perception +17 | Channel Energy 5/5 | Touch of Glory 8/8 | Aura of Heroism 11/11 rounds | Cohort | Bless 12 mins.

Donovan says, "However this plays out, we're going to try to do right by the people here. Kobold or otherwise." He grins slightly as he holds his helm under his arm. "Rescuing the hostages is the clear order of the day... but so is stopping these atrocities from happening again, by putting a halt to the actions of the people committing them."


Druid (Defender of the True World) 12 | HP: 87/135, AC:30/14/27, Fort:+12/Ref:+12/Will:+13 CMD: 33, Init+8, Perc+18 current form(Arsinotherm) | DR: 5 P

Tikroch watches the little governor's speech with interest. It's a rarity in this world to see the regular people having a say in the grand fabric in which their lives are woven.

As the people begin their voting, he takes his leave. Walking all the way out of town, and then a little further into the wilds for some privacy, he finally takes another form. It is time for some scouting, and the others will only slow me down.. Anyone looking in the direction he left would see an eagle lifting high into the sky from the trees and speeding off towards the direction the barbarians are likely to be.

Wildshape into an eagle. Scout enough to be able to pick a direction for the group to move in to find the barbarian tribe once we decide to go that route. Not trying to get up close and personal by any means. Back by sundown at the latest.


Tikroch:

As an eagle, the land moves like a blur below Tikroch, and the wind rushes past his feathers as he soars far in the air. He spots a few other eagles and other birds of prey - more vultures in this swampy area than anything else, though the swamp seems to transition into a hillier terrain, pocked with holes and spotted with intermittent copses of trees.

He spies a number of particularly interesting holes that look like they’re on the way to the purported location of The Tomb of Armag. Reinforced, or with signs of slightly more abnormal activity - such as the signs of a fight, it’s possible that these old ruins may hold treasure, or some other valuable resource Gliocas could exploit.

The camp itself is located at the edge of a small forest, against the side of a 50-foot cliff in the hills. The encampment consists of only some of the horde of barbarians. The rest of his tribe seems to camp to the east and north in small groups, waiting until Armag gives the call to join and rise as one. In all, there’s probably 250-300 well-armed barbarian warriors.

The campsite consists of 11 circular tents, a fenced-in area for horses, and a wooden cage with a roof made of leather. In all, there are a dozen barbarians waiting at the campsite. At any one time, four of them are sleeping, four are relaxing in various tents, and four are on guard duty, hidden in nearby trees or standing sentry at the campsite’s edge. A few minutes of observation and Tikroch notices that the prisoners are in the camp as well. Manacled and shackled, they seem to have free rein, during the day.

Tikroch notices there looks to be a very old masonry-reinforced opening in the side of the cliff near the camp.

Of Armag, there is no sign.


Rogue 8/Arcanist 1/Fighter 3 | HP83/83 | AC 32(37 with barkskin,41 w/ shield)/DR 2 cold iron/ Fire Res 5 | T 17 | FF 25| CMD 25 (30 disarm/sunder) | F+9, R+15(evasion), W+10 :-2 poison/illusion/disease:+2 fey:+4 plant | Per +21, Sense M +21, Init +6 spells: 3/3 | arcane pool 4/4| prehensile hair 8/8 minutes | flight 8/8 minutes Portrait conditions: Freedom of Movement, Feather Fall, Deathwatch, Fastidious, Endure Elements;, Heroism, hunter's blessing, barkskin, shield

The mercenary Mum stays near the Governor, just in case there is a problem. At the mention of Calistra, she perks "Interesting... from my understanding Calistra is one of the Fall's main religions. The Baroness takes Vengenence very seriously, and her people enjoy feeling the thrill of being alive that your Lady's other aspect is known for." she smiles, missing home, then adds "The other main one there is Pharasma, cause once living is over it should remain so." she thinks for a moment and adds one more thing "I guess the other aspect of Calistra fits in with the Lady of Graves as well, lust leads to birth."

Chyrsa's religious leader was a priestess of Calistra and one of the first buildings she built in her kingdom was a brother (dance hall).


Male Medium Vampire (Dhampir) Arcanist 12 | HP: 62/62 | AC: 21 | Init: +7 | F: +6, R: +7, W: +8 | P+17, Bl +23, Scrft +23, UMD +30, Knw A/D/L/N/P/R +23, G/H/No +17| Speed 30ft | 1: 5/6, 2: 4/6, 3: 4/6, 4: 5/6, 5: 5/5, 6: 3/3| Reservoir 8/15 |Active Conditions: See Invis, MA, Hero Chrysa

Vincent is vaguely aware of the noise going on outside the castle and Sootscale's voice is familiar but he pays it very little mind. The problem of aligning magical weaves into the appropriate formation on an unmarked metal band however... that takes all his attention.

Fascinating. He thinks, small hands scoring a delicate line across the metal and watching the magic flow in the chisel's wake. Why did I never learn about this before?

Crafting until the last possible moment. ;)


Male Human Cleric (Crusader) of Iomedae 12 | 84/90 HP | AC 28 T 13 FF 27 | Fort +10 Ref +5 Will +13 | Init +1 | Perception +17 | Channel Energy 5/5 | Touch of Glory 8/8 | Aura of Heroism 11/11 rounds | Cohort | Bless 12 mins.
GM Litejedi - Kingmaker wrote:

Maray

Quintessa Maray cocks her head when she sees Donovan, "you're different - out of place. A knight? Here in the wilds? How do you get along..." She seems amazed, "it must be difficult. Your companions surely are motley, well suited to a more chaotic environment... you must be quite brave to be here with them." She tilts her head slightly and looks at Donovan.

She continues, "Perhaps you could help me with my task? I am seeking aid - as I said - to regain some land of mine taken from my family in Northwestern Galt. This would be a gallant task - the revolutionaries have no regard for station, or propriety, but these are rabble - unconnected from the government, exploiting the chaos for their own ends - a a decisive blow is all they need to feel to know they cannot take what they want without consequence." She wrings her hands, and comes closer, "I merely need a few swordarms for a week or so. You look like the leader here - maybe someone like you is just whom we need to bring sanity back to at least part of Galt... a Knight..." She folds her hands in front of herself, eyes pleading, and tears seem to spring to the corners, "I lost so much already coming here. I have little now, and nowhere else to turn."

She shakes her head, "and that man, the Baron, he ... he promised so much ... I can't believe what he had me - " her throat catches, and she seems to be trying to drive away a bad memory. She shakes her head, and steps back, holding her hands up close, defensively, as if, "forgive me, Sir, if I have asked for too much."

[ooc]Maray[/oo]

Helm still held under his arm, Donovan listens to the tale from Quintessa Maray.

"I am in the service of the rulers of Gliocas," he says in a matter-of-fact way. "What exactly has happened to your home? Did you have other family there? How did you make your escape? Do you have any other estates, or were you staying here with Drelev because you had nowhere else to go?"

Donovan's demeanor seems sympathetic, as if to prompt her to unburden her story, but also fact-finding.


Donovan of Restov wrote:


Maray

Helm still held under his arm, Donovan listens to the tale from Quintessa Maray.

"I am in the service of the rulers of Gliocas," he says in a matter-of-fact way. "What exactly has happened to your home? Did you have other family there? How did you make your escape? Do you have any other estates, or were you staying here with Drelev because you had nowhere else to go?"

Donovan's demeanor seems sympathetic, as if to prompt her to unburden her story, but also fact-finding.[/ooc]

She wipes her eyes, ”just what I said. I had a large home, a farm of sorts with a fair amount of mineral deposits on the nearby land, it was on the border - we thought it was far enough out of the way that nobody would bother us - but about two months ago, a group of peasants attacked and killed my house guard. They took everything, and set themselves up as the new ‘Lords’ - we weren’t even nobility, nobody in Galt is!” She shakes her head, ”I had some other family, my parents and my brother. As far as I know they’re still there, working for the peasants. I escaped to the only place I thought they wouldn’t follow. At some point, I was able to give them the slip, so I traveled in the wilds until I got here, I heard Brevoy had closed their borders, and I didn’t know where to go in that Gliocas country. This was the closest town within miles that I found, based on these old maps.” She moves and retrieves some maps, and they seem to be a few years old, and shows Fort Drelev labeled as ‘Harndet’, seemingly a village at the time, barely a smudge. ”I didn’t see anywhere else close to go on the map, so I came here.” Donovan doesn’t know much about the history of the country to know the exact timeline, but it seems reasonable given how quickly the Gliocas settlements are rumored to have have been built.

She looks confused, ”n… no … we have nothing else. You can’t ask the Galt government for help. Even if we had another estate, what would be the point of going there? That doesn’t help!” She looks worried, and moves back into her room, ”oh - this was a mistake - I should have gone to Pitax…” She starts moving to pack her things.


Male Human Cleric (Crusader) of Iomedae 12 | 84/90 HP | AC 28 T 13 FF 27 | Fort +10 Ref +5 Will +13 | Init +1 | Perception +17 | Channel Energy 5/5 | Touch of Glory 8/8 | Aura of Heroism 11/11 rounds | Cohort | Bless 12 mins.
GM Litejedi - Kingmaker wrote:

Maray

She wipes her eyes, ”just what I said. I had a large home, a farm of sorts with a fair amount of mineral deposits on the nearby land, it was on the border - we thought it was far enough out of the way that nobody would bother us - but about two months ago, a group of peasants attacked and killed my house guard. They took everything, and set themselves up as the new ‘Lords’ - we weren’t even nobility, nobody in Galt is!” She shakes her head, ”I had some other family, my parents and my brother. As far as I know they’re still there, working for the peasants. I escaped to the only place I thought they wouldn’t follow. At some point, I was able to give them the slip, so I traveled in the wilds until I got here, I heard Brevoy had closed their borders, and I didn’t know where to go in that Gliocas country. This was the closest town within miles that I found, based on these old maps.” She moves and retrieves some maps, and they seem to be a few years old, and shows Fort Drelev labeled as ‘Harndet’, seemingly a village at the time, barely a smudge. ”I didn’t see anywhere else close to go on the map, so I came here.” Donovan doesn’t know much about the history of the country to know the exact timeline, but it seems reasonable given how quickly the Gliocas settlements are rumored to have have been built.

She looks confused, ”n… no … we have nothing else. You can’t ask the Galt government for help. Even if we had another estate, what would be the point of going there? That doesn’t help!” She looks worried, and moves back into her room, ”oh - this was a mistake - I should have gone to Pitax…” She starts moving to pack her things.

Donovan says, "I'm trying to find out if you have other family or anywhere else to go. I wouldn't necessarily recommend Pitax, either. Let me talk to my liege and see what we can arrange. You're quite right that Galt is highly unstable and the border is likely to be dangerous. I'll see what I can find out for you, and see if there's a place where you can stay in the meantime while we figure out the best way to approach this."

He inclines his head slightly. "If I may take my leave, I'll let you know as soon as possible as to what we can do to rescue you from despair."

~~~~~~~~~~

Donovan seeks out Mum, essentially his sponsor and benefactor in this mission.

"I've been approached by Quintessa Maray about trying to retake lands that she lost to a peasant uprising on the border with Galt. As you're aware, Galt is very fluid and essentially in a constant state of turmoil. Peasant uprisings aren't uncommon in any case, but I know very little about Quintessa and so I have no way of knowing if her estates were expropriated through force for the benefit of a marauding band, or if she was part of a landholding family that exploited people and has now faced a turning of the tables. She is rather distraught about the whole situation but that makes it challenging to get any information from her," he explains.

"I am a little piqued by her plight, as if she is a victim in all of this, I'd like to do something to see to her security and safe relocation. I doubt that reclaiming her old family estate is viable in the long term, as Galtan revolutionaries could just take it again, or worse still, burn the whole place to the ground in the fighting. But, I am also realistic about the fact that peasant uprisings do sometimes have legitimate roots and I'm not in the business of lending my sword to use violence on behalf of oppressive rulers."

"I'd be keen to hear your advice and whether this is something that we can or should take any action on. Taking out Drelev is positive for this region, and continuing to expand stability and show that there's a push for actual responsive governing that sees to the needs of people is important. I just don't have enough information yet to know whether this is a cause that we can address properly."

In addition, Donovan may actually have some historical insights into the region and the families involved.

Knowledge (history): 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (3) + 16 = 19


Rogue 8/Arcanist 1/Fighter 3 | HP83/83 | AC 32(37 with barkskin,41 w/ shield)/DR 2 cold iron/ Fire Res 5 | T 17 | FF 25| CMD 25 (30 disarm/sunder) | F+9, R+15(evasion), W+10 :-2 poison/illusion/disease:+2 fey:+4 plant | Per +21, Sense M +21, Init +6 spells: 3/3 | arcane pool 4/4| prehensile hair 8/8 minutes | flight 8/8 minutes Portrait conditions: Freedom of Movement, Feather Fall, Deathwatch, Fastidious, Endure Elements;, Heroism, hunter's blessing, barkskin, shield

Chrysa had discounted the baron's future wife as an item way down the list of things needed to be done, but Donovan had not. Concerns and opportunities whirl in her mind, picking a few that her persona of Mum might actual be concerned about as well (even though the cleric already has seen who she really is).

"By all accounts, all are welcome in Lady Medvyed's lands, though she would be required to provide for herself for anything past the basics of survival. Besides the morality of helping, there is benefit of having a person who knows a neighboring land well, for contacts if nothing else"

Chyrsa herself prefers contacts who know the underbelly of a land, having experienced that they simply no more about the true going ons than the wealthy and powerful. But one works with what one has.

And most important, she has seen the power this cleric holds, so keeping him happy and on board with their side activities, such as this one, is a wise move.

"I could talk to her, to try and suss her motives out a little?"

5,451 to 5,500 of 5,576 << first < prev | 102 | 103 | 104 | 105 | 106 | 107 | 108 | 109 | 110 | 111 | 112 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Thron's Altered Kingmaker Campaign All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.