GM Lorenzo's #8-99D: The Solstice Scar, Version D (Subtier 5-6) - OUTPOST II (Inactive)

Game Master Lawrence Smith 2

Maps, Handouts, and More!


1 to 50 of 485 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

The world-renowned Blakros Museum has outdone itself, gathering an unrivaled collection of relics from the Shining Crusade, a holy coalition that felled the greatest lich to threaten Golarion. When trouble befalls the exhibit mere days before its debut, the Pathfinders intervene, only to discover that one of the relics is key to averting a far greater disaster that has laid in wait for a millennium.

The story continues, first taking the Pathfinder Society to Lastwall's tangled Fangwood to earn the favor of a powerful celestial being and destroy a sinister curse. The PCs then return to the Solstice Scar itself for one final confrontation with the evil that dwells beyond—and a chance to end her villainy for good!

"The Solstice Scar" is a multi-table interactive adventure in which each group's actions can affect neighboring groups and contribute to the entire room's success. This is the last installment of an ongoing adventure updated and rereleased incrementally several times since May 2017, collectively telling a longer story while also presenting exciting stand-alone chapters. Based on participant feedback, this final chapter features two slightly longer parts rather than three, providing a more focused and exciting experience.

Written by Kalervo Oikarinen

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

When the Shining Crusade defeated the dread lich Tar-Baphon in 3827 AR, the lich’s lieutenants scattered, hoping to evade the crusade’s triumphant armies. Eshimka, one of the nightwalkers serving Tar-Baphon, fled north to hide and build up its power.

Ivvora, a disciple of the divine martyr Vildeis, tracked the evil creature into the Tusk Mountains. There she contacted a nearby tribe of Kellids known as the Twinhorn following, and together, they formed a plan to destroy the nightwalker.

On the winter solstice, they lured Eshimka to a circle of standing stones where the Twinhorn druids used their powerful magic to bind the nightwalker. Ivvora leapt from the shadows and attacked, burying her sacred dagger deep into Eshimka’s flesh before the blade snapped off near the hilt. Try as it might, the nightwalker could not pry the blade loose. As the druids’ ritual concluded at the darkest hour of the solstice, Eshimka sensed its imminent demise and used magic to escape back to the Negative Energy Plane.

After the escape of the nightwalker, Ivvora left the ruined hilt of her blade with the Twinhorn following, instructing them to place it on the center stone each year when the world grew darkest. She then traveled north, pursuing new threats in her never-ending quest to eradicate evil from Golarion.

The Twinhorns have kept their promise to Ivvora over countless generations, ensuring that their nomadic circuit always brings them back to the standing stones each winter.

For centuries, Eshimka has been able to travel the planes and build up its power, gathering armies of undead followers. However, the combination of the druids’ magic and the fragment of Ivvora’s blade have prevented the nightwalker from returning; the former bars it from traveling to the Material Plane except during the winter solstice, and the latter pulses painfully with holy power as a reminder of what awaits the undead menace if it returns. Eshimka is patient and waits for the day it can gain its revenge on mortals. Each year it prepares itself to travel back, but thinks better after sensing Ivvora—in truth the hilt of her dagger—waiting to finish it off.

Recently, acquisition agents from the Blakros Museum discovered the Twinhorns’ interesting tradition while following the story of Ivvora, champion of the Shining Crusade. They approached the following, asking to buy the relic to display in their new exhibit. When the Twinhorns refused, the acquisition agents stole it, unwilling to let such a rare treasure rest in the hands of barbaric northerners. They quickly traveled south, returning to Absalom with their
prize.

Once the following became aware of the theft, they dispatched a large group of warriors to retrieve the hilt, led by Medda, the following’s spiritual leader and keeper of Ivvora’s treasured weapon. They vowed to return with it before the winter solstice, for it was not a point of pride but a matter of life and death for all living creatures in their territory.

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

The Pathfinder Society received a call for help from the Blakros Museum, where intruders had tripped the many defenses and barricaded themselves inside the building. Upon overcoming these safeguards, you encountered Medda and her Twinhorn warriors. Medda was willing to discuss the Kellids’ reason for attacking. Venture-Captain Ambrus Valsin was angered to learn that museum agents resorted to theft to gain relics and promised Medda that Pathfinders would accompany them back to the Tusk Mountains to return the hilt.

With your help, the Pathfinders secured passage for their convoy through the Hold of Belkzen and fought off renegade tribes’ raiders.

However, you arrived at the Twinhorn encampment too late; Eshimka’s forces had begun flooding through a portal at the standing stones. The Pathfinders needed to fight back the undead and close the rift. Once the rift was sealed, you learned that the attack had left an extraplanar scar. Expecting an even greater invasion the next solstice, the Pathfinders must prepare to defeat Eshimka and end the threat forever.

The Society members followed in the footsteps of the paladin Ivvora, seeking the place where she died battling a powerful white dragon. There, Medda hoped to commune with Ivvora in the afterlife, learning how to reforge the broken dagger or create a new weapon to destroy Eshimka. In the process, those present had to fight the new generations of white dragons and their kobold servitors who inhabited the area.

Now preparations are being made to travel to an ancient battlefield where Ivvora and her comrades fought against an overwhelming undead force...

Dark Archive

Male Human (Keleshite) Fighter (two-handed) 6 | hp -15/56 | AC 19, T 14, FF 15 | CMD 23 (25 v sunder) | F +9, R +7, W +4 | Spd 30' (40' land)| Init +3 | KnArc +7, KnDun +6, KnPla +6, KnRel +6, Perc +0, SensM +0, Spcft +8 |

"Do you think it will be cold?" asks the tall Keleshite.

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

Medda regards the Keleshite with a Northerner's friendly prejudice. "You might want to dawn your woolen small clothes beneath those flimsy robes. You'd make a fine addition to a harem inside a warm tent, but the climate here might give you a chill."

Silver Crusade

Male LG Human Oracle 5.2 (Pei-zin Practitioner) | HP 43/53 | AC 10 T 10 FF 10 | CMB +2, , CMD 12 | F: +8, R: +2, W: +5 | Init: +0 | Perc: -2, SM: -2 | Speed 20ft | Lay on Hands 6/6 | Spells: Oracle 1st 8/8 Oracle 2nd 5/5| Active conditions:

Juxian smiles at Medda, "My home land really is quite cold...but sometimes the Blakros are colder than the lands I left. Sorry again about my in-law's actions with that artifact. At least we got it back to you with little bloodshed."

Dark Archive

Male Human (Keleshite) Fighter (two-handed) 6 | hp -15/56 | AC 19, T 14, FF 15 | CMD 23 (25 v sunder) | F +9, R +7, W +4 | Spd 30' (40' land)| Init +3 | KnArc +7, KnDun +6, KnPla +6, KnRel +6, Perc +0, SensM +0, Spcft +8 |
Juxian Blakros wrote:
Juxian smiles at Medda, "My home land really is quite cold...but sometimes the Blakros are colder than the lands I left. Sorry again about my in-law's actions with that artifact. At least we got it back to you with little bloodshed."

Memory dawns upon the fighter. "Wait, your 'in-laws'?"

Abaal dons his cold-weather outfit and snow shoes.

Silver Crusade

Male LG Aasimar (Angel-blooded) Bloodrager 1 / Paladin 4 / Scar Seeker 1 | AC: 19 (T 12 / FF 18 ) CMD: 21 | F: +14 R: +7 W: +10 (Resist Acid / Cold / Electricity 5, Immune Fear & Disease) | HP: 58 / 58 | Bloodrage 6/6, Hellfire 3/3, Smite Evil 2/2, Lay on Hands 7/7, Scar 4/4 | Active conditions: none

“Another warrior of Vildeis?! Well met, brother! “booms the aasmiar in the dented and scratched breastplate. As he stretches out his hand in greeting, you notice the many scars which criss-cross both of his arms. You also notice how insanely good looking he is. In spite of his flowing blond hair, perfect angelic features, and the small flecks in his skin of something golden glinting in the light, he seems completely unself-conscious, open, and friendly. Standing in the chill air, his arms and most of his broad chiseled torso exposed, he also seems unaffected by the cold.

“How did you come to be a follower of Our Lady the Martyr? “

“I am Zarnel, originally from Mendev. And yourselves? “he asks Juxian and Abaal as he offers a shake to both.

As he listens to his new allies, it's obvious that he is slightly distracted. He keeps scanning the crowd of Pathfinders, searching perhaps for someone in particular.

Dark Archive

Male Human (Keleshite) Fighter (two-handed) 6 | hp -15/56 | AC 19, T 14, FF 15 | CMD 23 (25 v sunder) | F +9, R +7, W +4 | Spd 30' (40' land)| Init +3 | KnArc +7, KnDun +6, KnPla +6, KnRel +6, Perc +0, SensM +0, Spcft +8 |

"Katapesh." Abaal says going in for the most manly handshake of all time--the forearm clasp. So soft! He must moisturize.

Dark Archive

Female N Ratfolk Tinkerer 5, Init 6, HP 35/35, Speed 30 AC 27, Touch 18, FF 20 CMD 17, Fort 3, Ref 13, Will 8

A timid ratfolk wearing a rather concealing cloak slowly approaches Zarnel. She reeks of oil, sulphur, and alcohol... and not the kind meant for consumption. Her cloak parts, revealing a bandolier containing strange clockwork gadgets, and a scabbard at her hip. She reaches out a clawed hand and tugs at Zarnel's cloak. "Hewwo again!"

Silver Crusade

Male LG Aasimar (Angel-blooded) Bloodrager 1 / Paladin 4 / Scar Seeker 1 | AC: 19 (T 12 / FF 18 ) CMD: 21 | F: +14 R: +7 W: +10 (Resist Acid / Cold / Electricity 5, Immune Fear & Disease) | HP: 58 / 58 | Bloodrage 6/6, Hellfire 3/3, Smite Evil 2/2, Lay on Hands 7/7, Scar 4/4 | Active conditions: none

Feeling the slight tug on his cloak, Zarnel turns and smiles at the diminutive tinkerer. "Chou Wei, my friend! Hello again! It's good to see you." His clean and strangely soft hand grips her slightly oily one in earnest.

And still, even though he's clearly pleased to see Chou Wei again, he continues to watch the crowd of agents....

Dark Archive

Female N Ratfolk Tinkerer 5, Init 6, HP 35/35, Speed 30 AC 27, Touch 18, FF 20 CMD 17, Fort 3, Ref 13, Will 8

Oddly enough, Zarnel finds Chou's hands to be... immaculately clean. The smell of oil and sulphur seems to emanate from her equipment... and the alcohol from her breath.

"Who awe you wooking fow?"

Silver Crusade

HP: 52/52 l AC: 17, T 11, FF 16 l CMD 18 l F +5, R +4, W +8, +10 vs. madness/confusion l Aging Touch (2/2), Knowledge of the Ages (4/4), Speed/Slow Time (1/1), Time Flicker (7/7 min/day), Time Hop (70 ft./day) l L1: 7/7, L2: 7/7, L3: 5/5 l Init +5 l Senses: Perception +2
Skills:
Diplomacy +10, Intimidate +15, Kn. History +8, Kn. Religion +7, Kn. Planes +13, Profession: Baker +12, Sense Motive +6, Spellcraft +7
Female Human Oracle (Dual-Cursed) 7 | Active Conditions:

A young woman with dirty-blonde hair and pale green eyes comes wandering through the crowd, looking around with a rather vague and dreamy expression. As her eyes scan the crowd they light up when they fall on Chou Wei.

"Old Friend Chou Wei! Hi!" she calls out, bouncing energetically on the balls of her feet as she waves to the ratfolk. The woman maneuvers her way through the crowd with surprising speed considering the heavy scale mail she wears.

"It's so wonderful to see you again, Old Friend," the woman beams as she approaches...but then she stops suddenly when she spots Zarnel. A faint pink flush comes over her cheeks as she raises her hand and shakily waves at him.

"H...hi Old Friend Zarnel! Um...it's nice to see you again," she squeaks.

Grand Lodge

LN Nagaji Brawler 6

The large muscular nagaji stalks into the assembled pathfinders with purpose. An imposing figure, he looms over many of those around him, though moves with a quiet grace that belies his size. For those not familiar with the race, telling one nagaji from another is not always a simple matter, but this one looks familiar to most of you.

His eyes watch those around him, more than the path ahead, and when he finally speaks, it is then you know for sure, that this is indeed the pathfinder known as 575, the tell-tale rhythm of his speech a dead giveaway.

Into the Fangwood.
Following Ivora's path
From so long ago

He says finally, looking out over the woods ahead.

His mouth suddenly opens to reveal rows of sharp teeth, in an approximation of a human smile.

To be among friends
As we confront this next task...
What more can one ask?

He eyes Abaal with a puzzled expression, as the man puts on snow shoes.

Dark Archive

Female N Ratfolk Tinkerer 5, Init 6, HP 35/35, Speed 30 AC 27, Touch 18, FF 20 CMD 17, Fort 3, Ref 13, Will 8

Chou smiles and waves back at Corona, her bandoliers jangling with the motion. Then she turns to 575.

"Ooh! It's the snake-man
Who aways speaks in haiku!
Gweat to see you fwiend!"

Silver Crusade

Male LG Aasimar (Angel-blooded) Bloodrager 1 / Paladin 4 / Scar Seeker 1 | AC: 19 (T 12 / FF 18 ) CMD: 21 | F: +14 R: +7 W: +10 (Resist Acid / Cold / Electricity 5, Immune Fear & Disease) | HP: 58 / 58 | Bloodrage 6/6, Hellfire 3/3, Smite Evil 2/2, Lay on Hands 7/7, Scar 4/4 | Active conditions: none

Just as Chou Wei asks her question, a vision of loveliness appears from the crowd. Not the nagaji, mind you, but a blonde so full of energy as to light up a room. Zarnel doesn't even acknowledge Chou Wei's question or 575's appearqnce. He stands a little bit straighter than before, and the smile on his face is one of delight and joy at seeing Her.

“Hello, Corona. I had hoped... How have you... I was concerned... “ he stammers uncharacteristically.

Why does she make me feel like a school boy again?

He gathers his wits, and puts out his hand to Corona with his palm more open and slightly upturned.

“It is truly wonderful to see you again, Corona,“ he finishes in a voice of sincerity and charm.

Grand Lodge

Bandits of Immenwood | DWK4 || Spell Templates

**OVERSEER ANNOUNCEMENT**

The long journey south from the slopes of the Tusk Mountains to the edge of Fangwood took several weeks, during which many of the Twinhorns and Pathfinders exchanged ancestral stories and tales of daring adventures to pass the time on the relatively uneventful trek. By the time the Fangwood rises ahead in the brisk morning air, both groups are eager to confront whatever lies ahead.

Medda addresses the crowd gathered before her. “South of here lies a battlefield where the paladin Ivvora risked her life in a daring ploy to help her battalion defeat an undead horde. For her selflessness, Ivvora earned a token of Vildeis’s favor: the dagger she used to deal a terrible blow to Eshimka! For all the crusaders’ heroism, I can sense an undead taint lingered here, and that stretch of the Fangwood has expanded in the centuries since to absorb it. It is now our turn to earn Vildeis’s blessing, risking ourselves to end this threat so that in turn we might slay Eshimka once and for all.

“The terrain favors small groups over larger formations, so we shall divide into smaller groups to navigate the forest and identify the corruption’s heart. May Ivvora’s example guide us to victory!” With that, Medda and her phantom Anok turn and enter the Fangwood, followed by Pathfinder and Twinhorn teams that fan out behind her.

GMs, you may begin Part 5.

Dark Archive

Male Human (Keleshite) Fighter (two-handed) 6 | hp -15/56 | AC 19, T 14, FF 15 | CMD 23 (25 v sunder) | F +9, R +7, W +4 | Spd 30' (40' land)| Init +3 | KnArc +7, KnDun +6, KnPla +6, KnRel +6, Perc +0, SensM +0, Spcft +8 |
575 wrote:

To be among friends

As we confront this next task...
What more can one ask?

He eyes Abaal with a puzzled expression, as the man puts on snow shoes.

Seeing the reptilian man look quizzically at his footwear, Abaal motions for his fellow to 'wait for it.'

GM Dennis wrote:

**OVERSEER ANNOUNCEMENT**

“The terrain favors small groups over larger formations, so we shall divide into smaller groups to navigate the forest and identify the corruption’s heart. May Ivvora’s example guide us to victory!” With that, Medda and her phantom Anok turn and enter the Fangwood, followed by Pathfinder and Twinhorn teams that fan out behind her.

GMs, you may begin Part 5.

"See my dactylic disciple of the dragon friend." Abaal says expansively. "Is it not like you have been here before! It is as if this quest of ours has already been written! Come! Soon you shall unleash your breath weapon and claws upon the enemy! I of course have but one 'claw', but it is weapon enough for me--the black falchion of the Daring Sword of Katapesh!™"

He flourishes his adamantine falchion and then sheathes it.

"That is unless of course your have it within you sorcerous blood to fly us all over these mountains."

Silver Crusade

HP: 52/52 l AC: 17, T 11, FF 16 l CMD 18 l F +5, R +4, W +8, +10 vs. madness/confusion l Aging Touch (2/2), Knowledge of the Ages (4/4), Speed/Slow Time (1/1), Time Flicker (7/7 min/day), Time Hop (70 ft./day) l L1: 7/7, L2: 7/7, L3: 5/5 l Init +5 l Senses: Perception +2
Skills:
Diplomacy +10, Intimidate +15, Kn. History +8, Kn. Religion +7, Kn. Planes +13, Profession: Baker +12, Sense Motive +6, Spellcraft +7
Female Human Oracle (Dual-Cursed) 7 | Active Conditions:

Earlier

"Oh! Well after we closed that portal...was it the first or second time? Anyway, after we closed the portal and things went back to normal I got to go visit Kaer Maga which was really really neat but sort of strange - did you know that there are trolls there and they tell the future by pulling their own guts out? It was really gross but really neat at the same time and anyway we went down into these big tunnels under the city and there were beasts from other dimensions and weird crystals and one of the other Pathfinder agents could do things with ectoplasm like I'd never seen before! And then after we lived through that mission I got to go to Heaven and it was great. Well, mostly great, the scenery is really pretty but they're really kind of stuffy up there some of them, like they've all got sticks up their-oh! Hi Old Friend 575!"

Corona prattles on, talking a mile a minute and at a much more rapid clip than usual...almost as if she's flustered about something. Or perhaps someone. As she does, a small chicken darts out of the crowd and flap-flutters upward to perch on the woman's shoulder. Perhaps catching the strange looks that the two other, unfamiliar agents may be giving her, Corona stops her talking long enough to take a deep breath before finally turning her attention to the new faces.

"Oh! I'm sorry New Friends, I got so caught up talking to Zarnel and Chou Wei and 575 - we've worked together before you see - that I forgot to tell you my name," Corona explains. "I'm Corona Merrion and this is Stuffing," she continues, indicating the chicken on her shoulder. "Do either of you like cornbread? I always make fresh cornbread before going out on a mission; there's plenty for everyone!"

This sort of manic energy continues for much of the journey to the Fangwood...

Silver Crusade

HP: 52/52 l AC: 17, T 11, FF 16 l CMD 18 l F +5, R +4, W +8, +10 vs. madness/confusion l Aging Touch (2/2), Knowledge of the Ages (4/4), Speed/Slow Time (1/1), Time Flicker (7/7 min/day), Time Hop (70 ft./day) l L1: 7/7, L2: 7/7, L3: 5/5 l Init +5 l Senses: Perception +2
Skills:
Diplomacy +10, Intimidate +15, Kn. History +8, Kn. Religion +7, Kn. Planes +13, Profession: Baker +12, Sense Motive +6, Spellcraft +7
Female Human Oracle (Dual-Cursed) 7 | Active Conditions:

Present

As Abaal displays his falchion with a flourish, Corona gives him a confused look. "Um...I don't think there are any dragons here. Maybe? I don't know...my memory's been really fuzzy lately and sometimes I feel like I'm doing stuff that I've already done before."

She pauses for a moment, a thoughtful expression on her face. "But even if there aren't any dragons, it would be pretty neat if we could fly. I can't make us fly though; can anyone else here make us fly?"

Silver Crusade

Male LG Aasimar (Angel-blooded) Bloodrager 1 / Paladin 4 / Scar Seeker 1 | AC: 19 (T 12 / FF 18 ) CMD: 21 | F: +14 R: +7 W: +10 (Resist Acid / Cold / Electricity 5, Immune Fear & Disease) | HP: 58 / 58 | Bloodrage 6/6, Hellfire 3/3, Smite Evil 2/2, Lay on Hands 7/7, Scar 4/4 | Active conditions: none

Zarnel reaches out and scratches Stuffing under the chin. “Hello, little one. At least this time, no one is looking at you like they want to eat you. “

“Corona, I too have felt the strangeness of these last several missions. As if we've been here before but not. I had thought it was your powers of Time and our, ummm, connection, that caused it. “he finishes with a strange catch in his voice.

As they trek south and get to know each other, Zarnel approaches Abaal. “ I appreciate you taking point. I think I shall remain near the back to protect... the others. Oh, and yes, Corona's cornbread is quite delicious. “

“Corona, I replaced the potion that I used to fly and slay the dragon that day, so I can do that again if need be. But only for myself, I'm sorry. “

As much as I would love to soar through the sky with her in my arms like a real angel.

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

When Medda appears and issues her call to action, some of you experience an unsettling glitch-in-the-matrix sense of déjà vu. The moment passes, and you set out into the Northern Fangwood.

---

You approach the edge of the forest. Brambles grow wild throughout the edge of the wood where a thick canopy of trees begins to filter out sunlight, turning day into night. The overgrown plant life forbids easy access deeper into the forest and fills the air with the sickly-sweet smell of decay. The outer edge of the blighted forest is overgrown with poisonous barbed plants, and the thick foliage hides venomous creatures in its nooks and crannies.

Undeterred, the team attempts to navigate its way through the area safely.

[Each of you, please attempt one of the following DC24 skill checks: Acrobatics, Climb, Handle Animal, Knowledge (nature), or Survival. Alternatively, you can attempt a DC20 wild empathy check.
Anyone with the woodland stride class feature (or a similar ability) receives a +4 bonus on any of these checks.
If your check fails, you must attempt a DC15 Reflex or a DC17 Fortitude save. On a failed save, you're sickened.]

Grand Lodge

LN Nagaji Brawler 6

Acrobatics: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (19) + 10 = 29

575 moves through the corrupted woods nimbly, his movements agile, despite his size, as he slips under and past the multitude of dangers therein.

He tries to keep an eye out for other dangers, in the dense undergrowth, but just avoiding the foliage is hard enough.

With each forward step
The blight tries to deny us
With its poisoned touch.

Silver Crusade

Male LG Human Oracle 5.2 (Pei-zin Practitioner) | HP 43/53 | AC 10 T 10 FF 10 | CMB +2, , CMD 12 | F: +8, R: +2, W: +5 | Init: +0 | Perc: -2, SM: -2 | Speed 20ft | Lay on Hands 6/6 | Spells: Oracle 1st 8/8 Oracle 2nd 5/5| Active conditions:

Wow, you guys really went to town in the this thread after I went to bed. Just gonna move on with the current gameplay mechanic.

knowledge nature: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15
Even with Juxian's experience with herbalism, he still has a tough time correctly navigating the thick and dangerous forest.

fort save: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10

Juxian responds to 575's haiku by turning it into a tanka.
"Seems the poison is in me
Soon I shall fall victim here"

Dark Archive

Male Human (Keleshite) Fighter (two-handed) 6 | hp -15/56 | AC 19, T 14, FF 15 | CMD 23 (25 v sunder) | F +9, R +7, W +4 | Spd 30' (40' land)| Init +3 | KnArc +7, KnDun +6, KnPla +6, KnRel +6, Perc +0, SensM +0, Spcft +8 |
GM Lorenzo wrote:

When Medda appears and issues her call to action, some of you experience an unsettling glitch-in-the-matrix sense of déjà vu. The moment passes, and you set out into the Northern Fangwood.

---

The bit without the snow then. Abaal packs his cold weather gear once they leave the drifts behind.

climb: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (11) + 10 = 21

reflex: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26

Juxian Blakros wrote:

Even with Juxian's experience with herbalism, he still has a tough time correctly navigating the thick and dangerous forest.

Juxian responds to 575's haiku by turning it into a tanka.
"Seems the poison is in me
Soon I shall fall victim here"

"Fear not! Abaal is at your side!"

With a whoosh of his huge black blade Abaal deftly cuts away the foliage and is at the man's side. With another way-too-close whirl of his mighty cleaver he cuts the clothing away from wound and makes ready to suck out the poison.

the unskilled heal check (if you are curious and if it matters):
heal: 1d20 ⇒ 19

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Female N Ratfolk Tinkerer 5, Init 6, HP 35/35, Speed 30 AC 27, Touch 18, FF 20 CMD 17, Fort 3, Ref 13, Will 8

Chou eyes Abaal and Juxian and opens her mouth a few times as though to speak. She closes it without speaking and contemplates the pair as she follows along.

Acrobatics, Derring Do: 1d20 + 12 + 1d6 ⇒ (10) + 12 + (3) = 25

Seeing Juxian taken ill she shyly approaches him and tugs at his clothing to get his attention. She looks as though she's swishing something around in her mouth, then spits out a small vial and offers it to him. "Antitoxin mistew Bwackwos?"

Grand Lodge

LN Nagaji Brawler 6

Ah, the imagery! Ha!

Silver Crusade

Male LG Aasimar (Angel-blooded) Bloodrager 1 / Paladin 4 / Scar Seeker 1 | AC: 19 (T 12 / FF 18 ) CMD: 21 | F: +14 R: +7 W: +10 (Resist Acid / Cold / Electricity 5, Immune Fear & Disease) | HP: 58 / 58 | Bloodrage 6/6, Hellfire 3/3, Smite Evil 2/2, Lay on Hands 7/7, Scar 4/4 | Active conditions: none

Climb : 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19

Zarnel begins to try to climb over the twisted branches and through the gnarled vines. Just as he is about to get through a particularly rough patch, he slips. Falling to the ground he impales himself on a large thorn dripping with some foul venom.

Fort save : 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (4) + 12 = 16

He grits his teeth and urges his body to resist the poison that he can feel coursing through his body. But, alas, the plant's poison is just slightly stronger than his ability to fight it off. As the fever begins to wrack his frame, the golden flecks in his skin take on a greenish hue as if tarnished.

Soooo close.

Antitoxin wouldn't provide a second roll against the same effect would it? Cause if so, Zarnel would gladly take it if Chou Wei offered, and could then tap the save.


Theme Song

It doesn't look like Corona can make the DC24 on any of the required skill checks.
Reflex DC15: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 2 = 15

Corona struggles through the brambles, but the oracle manages to just barely avoid the worst of the hazards.

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

You emerge from the brambles, relatively intact, but Juxian and Zarnel are sickened by the mild venom dripping from the poisonous thorns.

The forest floor is blanketed with eerie dark flowers that paint the otherwise lightless woods with their purple incandescence. Disorienting paths cut through the trees, forward-facing paths seem to lead back to where they started, and retracing one’s steps leads to unfamiliar terrain. Glowing eyes glare hungrily from within the impenetrable thickets, where the vines slowly curl around anyone who gets too close.

(Please attempt either a Perception or Survival check, with a -2 penalty for those who are temporarily sickened.)

Silver Crusade

HP: 52/52 l AC: 17, T 11, FF 16 l CMD 18 l F +5, R +4, W +8, +10 vs. madness/confusion l Aging Touch (2/2), Knowledge of the Ages (4/4), Speed/Slow Time (1/1), Time Flicker (7/7 min/day), Time Hop (70 ft./day) l L1: 7/7, L2: 7/7, L3: 5/5 l Init +5 l Senses: Perception +2
Skills:
Diplomacy +10, Intimidate +15, Kn. History +8, Kn. Religion +7, Kn. Planes +13, Profession: Baker +12, Sense Motive +6, Spellcraft +7
Female Human Oracle (Dual-Cursed) 7 | Active Conditions:

Having more or less plowed her way through the brambles Corona pauses for a moment to catch her breath and to tend to her companions.

"Are you okay Old Friend Zarnel and New Friend Juxian?" she asks anxiously. "I'm not really much of a healer or I'd do more to help."

Corona then pauses and looks around, noticing all the glowing eyes and grabby plants. "This doesn't seem like a very nice place..."

Perception: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9

Dark Archive

Female N Ratfolk Tinkerer 5, Init 6, HP 35/35, Speed 30 AC 27, Touch 18, FF 20 CMD 17, Fort 3, Ref 13, Will 8

Chou crouches low and carefully slips out from the brambles, making sure not to get slashed, pierced, bludgeoned, bitten, poisoned, or otherwise inconvenienced. Finally she reaches into her robe and pulls out a wayfinder... and judging by the size of it, one clearly meant for a human-sized adventurer, not someone of her diminutive stature. She gives it a quick shake and floods the area with light. She tucks her robe back over her shoulders, letting the (relatively) giant wayfinder hang clearly to illuminate her passage as she peers around, looking intently for traps or ambushes.

Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (12) + 10 = 22 +2 if trap related

She opens her mouth to speak again, then considers her words. Finally she closes her mouth, once again electing not to speak, but instead gives a smile and a nod before drawing her blade and creeping forward.

Silver Crusade

HP: 19/19 l AC: 14, T 12, FF 14 l CMD 7 l F +3, R +2, W +5 l Init +4 l Senses: Perception +5, Low Light Vision, Scent
Skills:
Diplomacy +3, Fly -4, Intimidate +6, Sense Motive +2, Spellcraft +2, Stealth +8
Female Chicken Familiar 3 l Active Conditions:

From atop Corona's shoulder/backpack, Stuffing blinks peevishly as she looks around the strange forest.

Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19

"Bawk."

You always get us into the craziest predicaments...

Grand Lodge

LN Nagaji Brawler 6

Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 12

575 gets too distracted avoiding the tainted foliage, and lets his guard drop, suddenly not paying nearly as much attention as he should.

Dark Archive

Male Human (Keleshite) Fighter (two-handed) 6 | hp -15/56 | AC 19, T 14, FF 15 | CMD 23 (25 v sunder) | F +9, R +7, W +4 | Spd 30' (40' land)| Init +3 | KnArc +7, KnDun +6, KnPla +6, KnRel +6, Perc +0, SensM +0, Spcft +8 |

survival: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20

"COME FOREST! DO YOUR WORST! YOU ARE NAUGHT BUT CHAFF READY FOR THE REAPING!!" shouts Abaal to the dark wood sword in hand.

Silver Crusade

Male LG Human Oracle 5.2 (Pei-zin Practitioner) | HP 43/53 | AC 10 T 10 FF 10 | CMB +2, , CMD 12 | F: +8, R: +2, W: +5 | Init: +0 | Perc: -2, SM: -2 | Speed 20ft | Lay on Hands 6/6 | Spells: Oracle 1st 8/8 Oracle 2nd 5/5| Active conditions:

Juxian will accept the antitoxin but will wipe it off with a cloth before he drinks it. Assuming it works on this.

Juxian isn't usually very perceptive, but he is even less so while feeling sick. perception: 1d20 - 4 ⇒ (10) - 4 = 6

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

Chou wei graciously offers Juxian one of her own antitoxins. The oracle tosses the milky pink concoction back with pepto bismol-like relief.

(Still need a Survival or Perception check from Zarnel)

Silver Crusade

Male LG Aasimar (Angel-blooded) Bloodrager 1 / Paladin 4 / Scar Seeker 1 | AC: 19 (T 12 / FF 18 ) CMD: 21 | F: +14 R: +7 W: +10 (Resist Acid / Cold / Electricity 5, Immune Fear & Disease) | HP: 58 / 58 | Bloodrage 6/6, Hellfire 3/3, Smite Evil 2/2, Lay on Hands 7/7, Scar 4/4 | Active conditions: none

Perception, sickened: 1d20 + 4 - 2 ⇒ (7) + 4 - 2 = 9

A further allergic reaction to the plant's toxin makes Zarnel's eyes itchy and watery causing him to not even notice the glowing red eyes around them. Or whatever else may be out there....

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

Initiative:

575: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14
Abaal: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5
Chou wei: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21
Corona: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14
Juxian: 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (19) - 2 = 17
Zarnel: 1d20 + 3 - 2 ⇒ (17) + 3 - 2 = 18 Sickened
Pink: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16
Red: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8

The thick canopy of the forest keeps any outside light from passing through, but the glowing flowers provide dim light throughout the area. The local plant life seems to have a mind of its own and responds to you intruders with displeasure.

There's movement ahead, as two large monsters emerge from the undergrowth. Spikes cover the body of these two vaguely reptilian creatures. Their fearsome faces feature dagger-sharp teeth and glowing eyes.

The blighted beasts have eyes that glow faintly purple, and the same eerie flowers that blanket the forest grow also on their bodies. The creatures seem to ignore all the hazards in the area, and the flowers’ illumination is enough for the beasts to navigate and attack without concern for the dim light.

Knowledge (arcana) DC16:
They're hodags, large magical beasts. For every 5 you exceed the DC, you may ask one question from this list. Share what you know with your team!

Conditions:
Dim Light - Creatures within this area have concealment (20% miss chance in combat) from those without darkvision or the ability to see in darkness. A creature within an area of dim light can make a Stealth check to conceal itself. Areas of dim light include outside at night with a moon in the sky, bright starlight, and the area between 20 and 40 feet from a torch.
Difficult Terrain - The brushy areas are difficult terrain. Their palpable hostility suggests, the undergrowth pay pose other hazards...

Map & Images

Round 1
Bold
may act.

Chou wei
Zarnel
Juxian

---
Pink??
---
Corona
575
---
Red??
---
Abaal

Chou wei, Zarnel, and Juxian, you're up!

Silver Crusade

Male LG Human Oracle 5.2 (Pei-zin Practitioner) | HP 43/53 | AC 10 T 10 FF 10 | CMB +2, , CMD 12 | F: +8, R: +2, W: +5 | Init: +0 | Perc: -2, SM: -2 | Speed 20ft | Lay on Hands 6/6 | Spells: Oracle 1st 8/8 Oracle 2nd 5/5| Active conditions:

knowledge arcana: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 22 Your link appears to be not working, but I'd go with "most dangerous ability" or "ability they are most known for"

Juxian goes around and life links 575, Zarnel, Abaal, and Chou Wei since he forgot to earlier. "Vildeis will allow me to take your wounds, but try not to get maimed or something."

He then looks at the creatures, "Well, those are magical beasts and they are usually called Hodags in common. Let me think about what they do..."

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

Juxina warns you about a hodag's special abilities:

Spiked Tail (Ex) "A hodag’s tail spikes allow the creature’s tail slap to deal both bludgeoning and piercing damage. A hodag’s tail slap is a primary attack."
Toss (Ex) "A hodag charging 20 feet or more that damages a foe with an attack can throw its foe." (with a special combat maneuver check. The opponent must be corporeal and at least one size category smaller than the hodag. If the combat maneuver check succeeds, the hodag’s opponent is thrown 10 feet through the air in a direction chosen by the hodag and falls prone. The hodag can only toss its opponent in a straight line. If an obstacle prevents the creature’s movement, both the creature tossed and the object struck take 1d6 points of damage, and the creature falls prone in the space adjacent to the obstacle. A hodag can also toss an opponent 10 feet up into the air. The victim lands in the same square it started in, falls prone, and takes 1d6 points of damage.

Silver Crusade

Male LG Aasimar (Angel-blooded) Bloodrager 1 / Paladin 4 / Scar Seeker 1 | AC: 19 (T 12 / FF 18 ) CMD: 21 | F: +14 R: +7 W: +10 (Resist Acid / Cold / Electricity 5, Immune Fear & Disease) | HP: 58 / 58 | Bloodrage 6/6, Hellfire 3/3, Smite Evil 2/2, Lay on Hands 7/7, Scar 4/4 | Active conditions: none

“Thank you, Juxian. I'd prefer not to get maimed, too. For both our sakes. “

With that thought in mind, Zarnel pulls out a wand and uses it to enhance his survivability by casting shield on himself.

If Chou Wei moves, Zarnel will also 5' step into the space she vacates.

Dark Archive

Female N Ratfolk Tinkerer 5, Init 6, HP 35/35, Speed 30 AC 27, Touch 18, FF 20 CMD 17, Fort 3, Ref 13, Will 8

Knowledge (Arcanananana): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15

Does Chou's Wayfinder raise the light level or is it being suppressed? Also, I'm not seeing a map, just tokens on a rather nice looking slide background.

"Thank you Mistew Bwakwos."

Chou elects to close the distance between herself and the Hodag, positioning herself in a position to hopefully take advantage of the creature's tactics.

Since I can't see the map, I'll trust the GM to move me safely to a space that puts the Hodag's charge lane right towards her. Chou has a move speed of 30 ft.

Once in position, she reaches back into her cloak and pulls a ripcord with a tag labeled Muscular Timing Augmentation Generator. A gout of steam blasts puffs out from under her cloak and the whirring sound of cogs emanates from her back. After a moment, they reach steady state and fall silent and she mutters, "MuTAGen opewating nominawy"

Chou's Gadgetry ability changes all of her Alchemist's alchemical stuff to clockwork equivalents. So this is her Mutagen.

Parry if she gets charged:

Parry: 1d20 + 13 - 2 ⇒ (11) + 13 - 2 = 22
Riposte: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (10) + 13 = 23
Damage: 1d4 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 10

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

GM Screen:
Pink Hodag's target: 1-575; 2-Zarnel; 3-Juxian: 1d3 ⇒ 1

Juxian warns everyone about the hodags' tail slap and their 'charge-and-toss' ability. Then the oracle establishes a life link with 575, Zarnel, Abaal, and Chou Wei.

Zarnel pulls a wand and activates it, creating an invisible shield of force that hovers in front of him.

Chou wei wonders if her wayfinder would work in the strange forest. To find out, she could activate it. She moves to block the hodags' charge lane. She blows off some steam and works a few kinks out of her back. She's ready, if one of them charges.

The ratfolk judged the hodag's tactics correctly. The pink one charges, but it ignores her, instead swinging its spiked tail at 575. The nagaji takes a crushing blow, and the tail slap sends him 10 feet into the air. He falls hard, landing prone.

(If Chou wei has a weapon in hand, the creature provokes an AoO from her, when it passes through a threatened square.)
Tail Slap, Charge, Power Attack; Damage: 1d20 + 11 + 2 - 3 ⇒ (16) + 11 + 2 - 3 = 261d4 + 4 + 9 ⇒ (4) + 4 + 9 = 17
CMB Toss; Falling Damage: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (16) + 13 = 291d6 ⇒ 3

Conditions:
Dim Light - Creatures within this area have concealment (20% miss chance in combat) from those without darkvision or the ability to see in darkness. A creature within an area of dim light can make a Stealth check to conceal itself. Areas of dim light include outside at night with a moon in the sky, bright starlight, and the area between 20 and 40 feet from a torch.
Difficult Terrain - The brushy areas are difficult terrain. Their palpable hostility suggests, the undergrowth pay pose other hazards...

Map & Images

Round 1
Bold
may act.

Chou wei (AoO vs Pink?)
Zarnel
Juxian
---
Pink Hodag
---
Corona
575
(-20; prone)
---
Red Hodag
---
Abaal

Corona and 575, you're up!

Dark Archive

Female N Ratfolk Tinkerer 5, Init 6, HP 35/35, Speed 30 AC 27, Touch 18, FF 20 CMD 17, Fort 3, Ref 13, Will 8

Chou activated her wayfinder and drew her weapon here

Miffed that the creature didn't take the bait, she grumbles as she thrusts her blade at it's flank.

AoO: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (11) + 13 = 24
Damage: 1d4 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 9

Grand Lodge

LN Nagaji Brawler 6

575 reels from the hodag's attack, taking a moment just to get his breath back as he hits the ground hard.

Trying to keep Abaal between himself and the creature, he slowly gets back to his feet with an audible groan.

Pretty sure I won't provoke, due to having cover. If that is not the case, he will be defensive while standing up, and forgo the rest of his turn.

He turns his attention to the creature that caused all the pain, trying to remember what worked last time he saw them.

Using martial flexibility to gain the Dedicated Adversary feat towards hodags!

Dark Archive

Male Human (Keleshite) Fighter (two-handed) 6 | hp -15/56 | AC 19, T 14, FF 15 | CMD 23 (25 v sunder) | F +9, R +7, W +4 | Spd 30' (40' land)| Init +3 | KnArc +7, KnDun +6, KnPla +6, KnRel +6, Perc +0, SensM +0, Spcft +8 |

knowledge (arcana): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 9

"Who-wangs?"

Silver Crusade

HP: 52/52 l AC: 17, T 11, FF 16 l CMD 18 l F +5, R +4, W +8, +10 vs. madness/confusion l Aging Touch (2/2), Knowledge of the Ages (4/4), Speed/Slow Time (1/1), Time Flicker (7/7 min/day), Time Hop (70 ft./day) l L1: 7/7, L2: 7/7, L3: 5/5 l Init +5 l Senses: Perception +2
Skills:
Diplomacy +10, Intimidate +15, Kn. History +8, Kn. Religion +7, Kn. Planes +13, Profession: Baker +12, Sense Motive +6, Spellcraft +7
Female Human Oracle (Dual-Cursed) 7 | Active Conditions:

"Gyeee!"

Corona yelps with surprise as the hodag charges and sends 575 flying. Mindful of this she staggers back a step and adopts a defensive position as she begins casting...

Cast Defensively (DC 19): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (11) + 9 = 20

...and conjures a burst of light right in front of the second hodag's snoot!

Blinded/Dazzled Rounds: 1d4 ⇒ 4
______________

Corona takes a 5 ft. step to her current position and casts Burst of Radiance on Red; DC 16 Reflex save to only be dazzled instead of blinded~

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

GM Screen:
Red Reflex Save DC16: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 26

Chou wei's wayfinder illuminates the monsters attacking the party. As the pink hodag charges past her, the ratfolk thrusts her rapier into its thigh.

575 catches his breath and clears his head, gets back on his feet, and calls upon one of his superpowers, temporarily honing his skills against hodags.

Corona teeters back a step and carefully casts a spell, and a brilliant flash of shimmering light bursts around the red hodag. It blinks it glowing, purple eyes trying to clear the twinkling stars from its vision.

The red hodag opens its maw and hisses an angry roar, stepping forward and reaching out for Chou wei with claws, tooth, and tail. Somehow the tinkerer evades every one of its powerful attacks.
Tail Slap, Power Attack, Dazzled; Damage: 1d20 + 11 - 1 - 3 ⇒ (8) + 11 - 1 - 3 = 151d4 + 4 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 4 + 6 = 13
Claw 1, Power Attack, Dazzled; Damage: 1d20 + 11 - 1 - 3 ⇒ (3) + 11 - 1 - 3 = 101d6 + 4 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 4 + 6 = 14
Claw 2, Power Attack, Dazzled; Damage: 1d20 + 11 - 1 - 3 ⇒ (16) + 11 - 1 - 3 = 231d6 + 4 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 4 + 6 = 14
Bite, Power Attack, Dazzled; Damage: 1d20 + 11 - 1 - 3 ⇒ (1) + 11 - 1 - 3 = 81d8 + 4 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 4 + 6 = 15

Conditions:
Difficult Terrain - The brushy areas are difficult terrain. Their palpable hostility suggests, the undergrowth pay pose other hazards...

Map & Images

Round 1/2
Bold
may act.

Chou wei
Zarnel
Juxian

---
Pink Hodag (-9)
---
Corona
575 (-20)
---
Red Hodag (Dazzled, 4 rounds)
---
Abaal

Abaal, then Chou wei, Zarnel and Juxian, you're up!

Silver Crusade

Male LG Human Oracle 5.2 (Pei-zin Practitioner) | HP 43/53 | AC 10 T 10 FF 10 | CMB +2, , CMD 12 | F: +8, R: +2, W: +5 | Init: +0 | Perc: -2, SM: -2 | Speed 20ft | Lay on Hands 6/6 | Spells: Oracle 1st 8/8 Oracle 2nd 5/5| Active conditions:

575 automatically heals for 5 damage at the start of my turn and I take 5.

Wounds from 575 slowly close up, but at the same time, they begin reappearing on Juxian. In response, he pulls out a wand of cure light wounds and plants his tower shield in the ground, giving him a wall to sit behind.

Juxian now has total cover from the bottom edge of his token.

1 to 50 of 485 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Lorenzo's #8-99: The Solstice Scar, Version D (Subtier 5-6) - OUTPOST II All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.