GM Tealk's - Core - Thornkeep Series

Game Master Tealk

Unknown Dungeon - Maps!


1 to 50 of 1,190 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Dark Archive

Thonrkeep - Maps | Campaign - Runelords

Will be posting intro soon.

Dark Archive

Thonrkeep - Maps | Campaign - Runelords

Warning - Light spoilers ahead for anyone who will want to play Thornkeep and/or The Emerald Spire in the future!

"Long ago, the evil Nhur Athemon—a powerful wizard and devotee of the demon lord Abraxas—fled Azlant with his household and slaves, making the distant Echo Wood his home in exile. He raised a tower atop the very hill where Thornkeep now stands. Ever fearful of discovery by his enemies in Azlant, the wizard-lord raised webs of illusion and magical wards to conceal his presence. Ultimately, however, Athemon’s efforts were to no avail—in time, his enemies succeeded in divining his location. Azlanti wizards and soldiers broke into the hidden stronghold and destroyed Athemon and his followers, leaving little trace of the outcast’s stronghold aboveground. " - the young gnome proud posture slumps as he hears you enter the doors to this rather small but modest meeting room. He looks nervously at the blonde elf sitting across from him in the largest armchair in the room - his eyes jot side to side as if he is trying to remember what came next, "Ah, and then he...no wait, where was i, the soldiers! Yes. However, the soldiers had missed the workshops..."

Abruptply interupted by the swift gesture of the hand, the elf stands up. "Thank you for that, young Tealk. You have done well to remember the fable. Continue with your bardic studies, the River Kingdoms are a fascinating place. Maybe you will see them one day." The smaller than normal gnome bows and leaves the room. But not before blowing his bright pink hair out of his face and into your direction rudely as he makes his way out the door from where you entered.

The man before you is none other than Kreighton Shaine, the Master of Scrolls. He sits back down and gestures for you all to come forward. "Ah yes, Pathfinders. Good of you to make it out of bed so early on such a frosty morning. I hope you are all ready for the adventure of a life time. How much do you know about the River Kingdoms and the Societies foray into chaotic lands?" He breaks for a moment as you make you way into the room and make yourselves comfortable. "The Echo Wood takes its name from the unusual clarity and confusing behavior of sounds trapped beneath the heavy canopy. Most locals suppose it has something to do with the hilly terrain or the types of trees and ground cover that prevail in the area, but there is a more fantastic explanation - some small residual magic remains from the ancient spells of concealment and illusion created by the outlawed Azlanti who hid themselves there. Our investigations into the Emerald Spire have begun some several months ago, where we sent field agents to uncover the mysterious ruins. What they came across was truly fascinating. We believe that the Azlant wizard Nhur Athemon might have used The Spire as his final resting place. However, we are unable to penetrate the lower parts of the tower. The Throne of the Azlant is guarded by runes and magics we do not have the cypher for. This is where you come in." He watches the expressions on your faces as he tells you this tale. Intrigued by your thoughts, he continues.

"We need you to delve into the mad mages lost laboratories, find them, and secure any information you can about the work Nhur Athemon was conducting before he disappeared. There must be something within those long forgotten halls that would provide us with the missing puzzle pieces to finally delve deaper within the Emerald Spire. Over the last few centuries, adventurers explored the Accursed Halls, as they have been names, numerous times. But none were able to pass through the Door of Seven Stars. You must have better luck. You must not fail." As the young elf finishes his exposition, he smiles. You see the passion in his eyes as they shimmer in the candle light. He taps his finger on the hard oak table on a map the settlement of Thornkeep, inviting you all to ask any questions.

Feel free to ask questions before I continue with the introduction of the actual town. I still want to introduce you briefly to some of the towns important features before we begin.

Grand Lodge

CORE-Male elf | Rogue 2 / Illusionist 1 |HP: 18/18 | AC18 T 14 FF 14 | F+0 R+7 W+2 | Init +6 | Perc +8(9 trapfinding) | SM +0 | CMB +2 | CMD 15 | Speed 30

Dragging himself into the room as if it were the most difficult thing in the world, the stinky elf collapses into a seat and listens to the speech. He looks up at the master of scrolls and slowly drones the words, "I guess it is too much to hope for that we'll have safe passage to this impassible door? You make it sound like the entire place has been ransacked and is completely empty up to that door. Why does my queasy stomach tell me that's not the case?"

The Concordance

NG Halfling Ranger 4 Init +6 Perception +11 AC 19, t 15, ff 15 hp 40/40 Fort +9, Ref +10, Will +4; +2 vs. fear,

The wild looking blue eyed and red haired Halfling listens intently before snapping his fingers as if he suddenly put together some kind of ridiculous puzzle together.

So a Demon Lord, the Azlanti, a Secret Cursed Door and the laboratories of a mad scientist. Gosh you Pathfinders liberate a guy from slavery and then send him directly into the most dangerous situation y'all could cook up. Fortunate for you the Clan Sodalug is out to restore its honor after a bunch of us got taken into slavery like that. So I am IN. What sort of Mad Scientist was this guy anyway?

Silver Crusade

Male LG Human Paladin of Iomedae 4 | HP 36/36 | AC 24 T 11 FF 23 | CMB +7, CMD 19 | F: +7, R: +6, W: +8 | Init: +2 | Perc: +4; SM: +9 | Speed 30ft (20 ft in armor) | Detect Evil: At Will | Smite Evil: 2/2 | Lay on Hands: 2/4 | Aura of Courage (10ft) | Active conditions:

"What does the previous explorers have to say about their time in the halls? Do you have access to their reports?"

He then thinks of something that may be pertinent. "How exactly did Athemon come to be exiled or was it just based on the fact of who he worshipped?

Dark Archive

Thonrkeep - Maps | Campaign - Runelords

"These are all very good questions, let me some time to answer them all."

How exactly did Athemon come to be exiled?
"Very little is known about the Azlantian epoch when Nhur Athemon was still alive. What little records remain, all suggest that he was an Azlanti prince, who's secret devotion to Abraxas corrupted the noble to attempted to seize the Azlant throne from it's then ruler - Xin. Oh don't worry, this was way before the time of the Runelords. Although, it is difficult to measure the differences between the raw power of archemages during that period. Truly fascinating, don't you think?"

Prevoious explorers and their reports?
Kreighton Shaine's expresion grows concerned for a brief moment as you ask this question. He is startled, and as if finally breaking from the weight of a secret burts into a vibrant expression. "Well, I would be lying if I told you that you were the first Pathfinders to have explored the dungeons of Thornkeep. Over a year ago, a Pathfinder group lead by Rozimus of Tymon, had wandered into Thonkeep without permission from the local baron. He was an eager fool, willing to do anything to prove himself. Unfortunately when word got to us here in Absalom, it was already too late. Tymon and his team were never found. Baron Blackshield was furious by this. Ever since he had come to rule over the settlement, he has prohibited any venture into the dungeon in an attempt to keep his people safe. To reconcile with the settlement of Thornkeep, the Society had made many efforts to keep the matter on the down low. The situation now has changed, and we need the information within those vaults."

Dark Archive

Thonrkeep - Maps | Campaign - Runelords

Do you have safe passage to the Door of Seven Stars?
"Unfortunately I do not know the current state of the Accursed Halls. The rare communications I have with my contact regarding the security of Thornkeep insist that the doors to the dungeon have not been opened in years. What little truth there is to her words remain to be seen. I will let you determine their merit for yourselves. However, I am convinced that there is only one way in and out of the place. I'm sure it wouldn't be difficult for some willing enthusiasts to slip through under the cover of darkness and into those forsaken halls." he winks in your direction.

Silver Crusade

Male LG Human Paladin of Iomedae 4 | HP 36/36 | AC 24 T 11 FF 23 | CMB +7, CMD 19 | F: +7, R: +6, W: +8 | Init: +2 | Perc: +4; SM: +9 | Speed 30ft (20 ft in armor) | Detect Evil: At Will | Smite Evil: 2/2 | Lay on Hands: 2/4 | Aura of Courage (10ft) | Active conditions:

Roran waits for Kreighton to finish answering the first round of questions before asking a new. "Rozimus of Tymon, name does not ring a bell to me. Did he make it out or did the dungeon steal him away from Pharasma's boneyard"?

Dark Archive

Thonrkeep - Maps | Campaign - Runelords

Did Rozimus of Tymon make it out of the dungeon?
"I doubt that even Pharasma has any sway over the enigma vaults beneath Thornkeep. Rozimus and his team have not been heard from since. Somehow, they were able to bypass all of the dungeons secrets and delve further than anyone has in the thousands of years since Thornkeep's settlement. Although, it isn't unheard of - people surviving in insurvivable circumstances. Maybe he has uncovered some long lost Azlanti secret, or stumbled across something far worse. Regardless, you must worry about yourselves. This will not be easy."

Grand Lodge

CORE-Male elf | Rogue 2 / Illusionist 1 |HP: 18/18 | AC18 T 14 FF 14 | F+0 R+7 W+2 | Init +6 | Perc +8(9 trapfinding) | SM +0 | CMB +2 | CMD 15 | Speed 30

Remember to hear Eeyore.. "I knew it. We're all going to die."

Liberty's Edge

Male Human Cleric of Cayden Cailean 5 | hp 43 | AC 19 T 9 FF 19 | CMD 15 | F +7 R +1 W +8 | Spd 20' | Init -1 | KnPla +6, KnRel +7, Perc +3, SensM +3 | channel 5/5 | daze touch 6/6 | Str surge 6/6 | clw wand 11/50 |

Remember to hear Brian Blessed. ;) "NONSENSE!" says a stout cleric of Cayden Cailean expansively. "How tough can these old, dead Azlanti wizards be, eh? You don't see very many of them around these days now do you? HAHA!"

Grand Lodge

CORE-Male elf | Rogue 2 / Illusionist 1 |HP: 18/18 | AC18 T 14 FF 14 | F+0 R+7 W+2 | Init +6 | Perc +8(9 trapfinding) | SM +0 | CMB +2 | CMD 15 | Speed 30

Yes, I have very fond memories of Vultan! "Impetuous boy! ah well, who wants to live forever? Hahahah, DIVE!!!!!!!!"

The Concordance

NG Halfling Ranger 4 Init +6 Perception +11 AC 19, t 15, ff 15 hp 40/40 Fort +9, Ref +10, Will +4; +2 vs. fear,

What is worrying me though you guys is the Dead Wizards being an active threat still. The dead should be allowed to go to Pharasma. These Azlanti need to know their time has passed. the halfling said matter of factly.

The Exchange

Male Halfling Air Elemental Sorcerer 6 | HP 26/26 | AC 18 t15 ff15 resist electricity 10 | CMB +1 CMD 14 | F+3 R+6 W+7 | Init+5 | Perc+3 SM+1 | Speed 20' | Elemental Ray 8/8 | Spells 1st 8/8; 2nd 6/6; 3rd 4/4 | Active conditions: none

A renegade Azlant wizard's lost labs... definitely not a mundane target!

He ponders the VCs words and Seward's concern, not entirely convinced. He puts a follow-up question to Kreighton.

How are we so certain that it's the Azlant wizard hanging onto this world? For all we know he left behind all manner of arcane horrors to protect his vaults.

Liberty's Edge

Male Human Cleric of Cayden Cailean 5 | hp 43 | AC 19 T 9 FF 19 | CMD 15 | F +7 R +1 W +8 | Spd 20' | Init -1 | KnPla +6, KnRel +7, Perc +3, SensM +3 | channel 5/5 | daze touch 6/6 | Str surge 6/6 | clw wand 11/50 |
Seward Sodalug wrote:
What is worrying me though you guys is the Dead Wizards being an active threat still. The dead should be allowed to go to Pharasma. These Azlanti need to know their time has passed. the halfling said matter of factly.
Telos Downshot wrote:

A renegade Azlant wizard's lost labs... definitely not a mundane target!

He ponders the VCs words and Seward's concern, not entirely convinced. He puts a follow-up question to Kreighton.

How are we so certain that it's the Azlant wizard hanging onto this world? For all we know he left behind all manner of arcane horrors to protect his vaults.

Pietro looks about the room at his human-sized companions confused as to who was speaking just now.

Dark Archive

Thonrkeep - Maps | Campaign - Runelords

”We are not certain about anything. That is why we are sending you - to uncover the mysteries of Thornkeep and assit is with making the Echo Wood a safer place. The Hellnights be the area are getting restless, and are using the Emerald Spire as an “excuse” to amass their armies. We need to know what Athemon was working on.” At this point the wise elf stands up. You see his slim body covered in runes and drawings. His look reflects thatbof action, as he smiles towards you. A swift flick of the rist, and all of your adventuring gear is magically apporated before you.

”I hope you all brought a change of underwear. I can’t teleport you directly to Thonrkeep, but I can get you as close as I can. Follow the river north - you can’t miss it. We must go now, my contact and long time friend ensures me that the Barons abscence gives you a great opportunity to make your ways into the dungeon. Once you’re there, get set up - find a place to stay and look as normal as you can.. Iliara Starcloak will find you when the time comes. She will be expecting you. Good luck, Pathfinders.”

And with that, the master of scrolls will teleport you a days travel out of Thornkeep. I will post the intro to the town later tonight where you guys can roleplay. We probably won’t start playing properly till next week - around the 13th. Keep asking any questions if you have them.

Grand Lodge

CORE-Male elf | Rogue 2 / Illusionist 1 |HP: 18/18 | AC18 T 14 FF 14 | F+0 R+7 W+2 | Init +6 | Perc +8(9 trapfinding) | SM +0 | CMB +2 | CMD 15 | Speed 30

"I'll bet we don't arrive with our feet on the ground. We'll probably be melded with granite up to our knees. Or appear high in the air or at the bottom of a lake. That's it. I know," he drones on to no one in particular, "We'll appear upside down, a thousand feet in the air, above a lake with our legs melded in stone. If we do not break our necks on the water, we'll drown. But at least our bodies won't be lost forever in Thornkeep."

The Exchange

Male Halfling Air Elemental Sorcerer 6 | HP 26/26 | AC 18 t15 ff15 resist electricity 10 | CMB +1 CMD 14 | F+3 R+6 W+7 | Init+5 | Perc+3 SM+1 | Speed 20' | Elemental Ray 8/8 | Spells 1st 8/8; 2nd 6/6; 3rd 4/4 | Active conditions: none
Pietro Slaszval the Boisterous wrote:
Pietro looks about the room at his human-sized companions confused as to who was speaking just now.

Telos roles his eyes at the boisterous one. Down here drunken holy man! Mind you don't stomp on us during combat!

Naneryn wrote:
"I'll bet we don't arrive with our feet on the ground. We'll probably be melded with granite up to our knees. Or appear high in the air or at the bottom of a lake. That's it. I know," he drones on to no one in particular, "We'll appear upside down, a thousand feet in the air, above a lake with our legs melded in stone. If we do not break our necks on the water, we'll drown. But at least our bodies won't be lost forever in Thornkeep."

Naneryn, if you write a book of brooding poetry I'll buy the first copy! Odes to tripped traps and lost treasure?

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
CORE-Male elf | Rogue 2 / Illusionist 1 |HP: 18/18 | AC18 T 14 FF 14 | F+0 R+7 W+2 | Init +6 | Perc +8(9 trapfinding) | SM +0 | CMB +2 | CMD 15 | Speed 30

"Thanks, you'd be the only person one to buy one. Except maybe for someone wanting to beat me to death with it."

The Exchange

Male Halfling Air Elemental Sorcerer 6 | HP 26/26 | AC 18 t15 ff15 resist electricity 10 | CMB +1 CMD 14 | F+3 R+6 W+7 | Init+5 | Perc+3 SM+1 | Speed 20' | Elemental Ray 8/8 | Spells 1st 8/8; 2nd 6/6; 3rd 4/4 | Active conditions: none

ahahahaha

The halfling quickly looks away to end it and checks the other faces in the room for how bad this is.

Okay, hehe, let's get through that portal!

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Thonrkeep - Maps | Campaign - Runelords

Your team's arrival in Thornkeep is uneventful. You are able very easily follow the Echo Stream north east until you reach the unassuming town. Thornkeep lies in a small natural clearing in the Echo Wood, where Echo Stream winds around the foot of Brokenhelm Hill. Most of the town lies on the lower slopes of the hill, wherever builders found good places to raise houses and room for workshops, stores, and warehouses. The village is dominated by the weathered battlements of Thornkeep itself. The castle is in poor repair, but is well sited on top of Brokenhelm Hill, with a commanding view of the surrounding area. Thickets of dense briars ring the Keep and its hill, especially on the southwestern side. Somewhere within these thickets, a crevice in the hillside leads to the oldest and most dangerous locale in Thornkeep.

Below, I will outline the most important features of the town where there are things, side quests and information to gain. Although we will not be playing these out, these do give you some fruitful bits of flavour that I love. Your characters will be spending much of their down time in these places. You can find the map with the locations on the slides.

The Baron's Tower and Druscor Keep
Baron Tervin Blackshield and his family live in the old stone tower of Druscor Keep at the heart of Thornkeep. A short flight of stone steps on the side of the tower leads to a sturdy door of iron plate in the second floor. Usually four to six of the baron’s soldiers stand guard in the tower’s entrance hall, while a handful of servants and retainers go about the daily business of cleaning, cooking, laundry, and seeing to the business of the household. Strangely quiet this time of year, as you do not see the busy every day life as to be expected from a baron's keep.

Goldenfire Tower
Juxtaposing this frail remains of a battlement is a gilded tower, standing proud and strong. The reflections from the midday sun cause the light to sparkle and dance around the town, brightening everywhere it hits. A beacon of light which shines agasint the improaching darkness from the Echo Wood. Goldenfire Tower is a small round tower four f loors tall, adjacent to a comfortable and well-built stone house by the shore of the millpond. The tower also serves as the headquarters of the oldenfire Order, the wizards’ guild of Thornkeep. The guild holds formal meetings once a month, but other than that the Goldenfire wizards go their own way—the members maintain their own homes or rent rooms in or around Thornkeep, and generally work alone. The Goldenfire Order is a professional association first and foremost, with no great mission other than to look out for the interests of wizards living in Thornkeep.

Shrine of Battle
Long abandoned, this small shrine was recently repaired and renovated by Brother Eldrast, a dwarven priest of Gorum. The temple is old and whethered, yet well maintained to still be standing agasint the harsh winds which dwell in this valley. Althought housing suitable protection, the chapel seems to be rarely used anymore. The grumpy dwarf refuses to take in any visiters, and as such, visitors have stopped coming around. Something seems to be amiss with this powerful priest of Gorum. Lately he has been spendingmuch of his time in the taproomsof the Greenforest Inn, preaching the tenets of bold action and honorable combat to the mercenaries and bandits who gather there agasint a darkness long forgotten.

Greenforest Inn
One of the oldest buildings in town, the Greenforest is a respectable inn and taphouse with fieldstone walls and finely carved woodwork adorning its posts and eaves. The proprietor is Shandar Tulman a balding, middle-aged man with a mustache like a bristle brush. The inkeeper is a gossip and a busybody. Busy at all times of the day, Tulman's wife Jalia is reknowned for being the best cook in town. She is often never seen, and only tales of her sharp-tongue, wit and starling looks are enough to have men and women gather from all spans of the River Kindoms just for a sip of ale in these halls. A private room at the Greenforest costs 1 gp per night, and includes breakfast and dinner. A bed and trunk in the common room costs 2 sp per night, and includes a loaf of bread or bit of porridge for breakfast.

This will be your lodging for the duration of the campaign.

The Accursed Halls
A narrow, overgrown trail across the road from Firla Parr’s farm leads through a thick copse to a stepping-stone crossing of the Echo Stream. On the far side of the stream, under the beetling bluffs of Brokenhelm Hill, a wide crevice leads into the hillside and reveals a pair of enormous stone columns built into the rocky wall. This is the path to Thornkeep’s notorious Halls Under the Hill.

The path to the halls is where we will begin playing on the 13th. Feel free to role play in any locations, or simply ask questions about places and NPCs. I'll be very liberal with information, as this is more for world building sake and doing justice to the module than anything else.

Liberty's Edge

Male Human Cleric of Cayden Cailean 5 | hp 43 | AC 19 T 9 FF 19 | CMD 15 | F +7 R +1 W +8 | Spd 20' | Init -1 | KnPla +6, KnRel +7, Perc +3, SensM +3 | channel 5/5 | daze touch 6/6 | Str surge 6/6 | clw wand 11/50 |

"The least that elf could have done would have been to put us in a softer tree!" complains Pietro from a particularly sturdy bough.

"Oh look--chipmunks!"

Naneryn wrote:
"Thanks, you'd be the only person one to buy one. Except maybe for someone wanting to beat me to death with it."

"Books are overrated anyhow."

The Exchange

Male Halfling Air Elemental Sorcerer 6 | HP 26/26 | AC 18 t15 ff15 resist electricity 10 | CMB +1 CMD 14 | F+3 R+6 W+7 | Init+5 | Perc+3 SM+1 | Speed 20' | Elemental Ray 8/8 | Spells 1st 8/8; 2nd 6/6; 3rd 4/4 | Active conditions: none

Well friends, I'll be off to the Goldenfire tower, simply to introduce myself to the local wizards and see what resources are available there. Who knows, maybe they have a fully stocked inventory of magical items.

Telos draws his cloak and wanders off to the tower.

He doesn't expect the guild to be brimming with members, but figures he can be greeted at a "front desk" and leave his information, that he's staying at the Greenforest Inn, etc..

Liberty's Edge

Male Human Cleric of Cayden Cailean 5 | hp 43 | AC 19 T 9 FF 19 | CMD 15 | F +7 R +1 W +8 | Spd 20' | Init -1 | KnPla +6, KnRel +7, Perc +3, SensM +3 | channel 5/5 | daze touch 6/6 | Str surge 6/6 | clw wand 11/50 |

"See if they can magic up a ladder while you are at it!" Pietro shouts after the halfling.

"A STRONG, TALL ONE!" he adds upon reflection.

Dark Archive

Thonrkeep - Maps | Campaign - Runelords

Right as you finish your louder and more excited comment, Pietro, you feel a strong gust of wind which startles you. You boastfully look around you, but there is no one there. "Why did they have to send the loud ones? Why is it always, the loud ones...?" Keep your voice down, you're strangers here and don't want to make a scene. Besides, the Lady of Gold awaits you all. Please follow me." Observed by the rest of the party, except for Pietro who still refuses to look down, a small golden haired gnome begins to pace his way towards the Goldenfire Tower. He has a small set of bells on his bandolier, which remain quiet in the windy street. The trees rattle as you see the busy town of Thornkeep at its peek of the day. Busy eyes give you quick looks as townsfolk make their way around.

Perception DC 12:

You notice a pair of blueish-yellow eyes hold your gaze as you move through the street. The cloaked figure is small enough to be a halfling, but you cannot distinctly see their features.

You follow the gnome up towards the looming fortress, you know to have once housed the Azlanti overlord. He keeps a slow pace so you don't lose your way. As you meander you way past the trees and up the small hill, you finally make it to the top and to the gatehouse. You see two guards visibly mesmerised by someone, as the smaller gnome makes his way towards them. You here a distinctly female voice, "...telling you not to threaten Ironjaws. Let's keep the peace, at least until the baron get's back. Alright? Just make sure they don't target Harley's Mill again tonight. Ah, Losli you're back with my guests. Would you please excuse me." The guards part revealing a beautiful young elf. All eyes on her, the two men seem to nod and start marching back towards the town from where you came. This woman is nothing like her title suggests, wearing all red, what little clothing she has is enough to extend her beautiful long features. Her long dark hair is tied back in a knot, while the jewellery reflect the suns rays in a dramatic flare. She nods to her smaller friend, who takes a step and disappears from view.

"To be honest, I thought you would be...ah never mind. I'm sure if Kreighton has sent you, then you must be the finest of the this Society has to offer. My name is Iliara. You already know why you are here. But let's not talk about that here. The people here are simple, and do not wish to engage themselves more with the bed time stories parents tell their kids to make them stay away from the Halls Under the Hill. Those fairytales appear to take more of our children than most. We don't have long. The full moon is tomorrow night."

Sense Motive DC 12:
You notice that her expression saddens when she speaks of children being taken by the Halls. You think there might be more to that story.

The Concordance

NG Halfling Ranger 4 Init +6 Perception +11 AC 19, t 15, ff 15 hp 40/40 Fort +9, Ref +10, Will +4; +2 vs. fear,

Seward visits the Shrine of Battle. He is himself a follower of the Stormfather Gozreh - he has seen enough of the power of natural storms and the like to respect and revere their source he figures that since he is due to be doing some dungeon delving that he should go and seek Gorums blessing.

He approaches an acolyte and looks for someone to bless his bow.

The Exchange

Male Halfling Air Elemental Sorcerer 6 | HP 26/26 | AC 18 t15 ff15 resist electricity 10 | CMB +1 CMD 14 | F+3 R+6 W+7 | Init+5 | Perc+3 SM+1 | Speed 20' | Elemental Ray 8/8 | Spells 1st 8/8; 2nd 6/6; 3rd 4/4 | Active conditions: none

Just as Telos is about to head off on his own to Goldenfire...

Yes, I'm sorry we have some loud ones with us. They aren't so bad, I just have to get their attention down here sometimes. On the bright side, our conversation down here won't be so disturbed as it might be.

He smiles at the gnome and continues.

I was just headed to Goldenfire myself to have a look around. Do you mind if I join you?

Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9 those eyes will have to remain lonely

Later at the tower...

Greetings Iliara, yes, we'll have to do. I'm Telos!

Sense motive: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 1 = 17

What do you mean by children being taken by the halls? Is it simply alluring to them to try to brave it, or are they literally being...taken by something or someone?

Dark Archive

Thonrkeep - Maps | Campaign - Runelords

At the Shrine of Battle...
As you approach, the business of the town does down. This part of town is more destroyed and less looked after as the rest of Thornkeep. Battlements stands proudly in reverence to the old wars which riled the River Kingdoms. The Shrine of Battle seems like it has withstood the toughest battle yet. Only three walls to keep the rusting roof up, a statue of the God of Iron stands out front, all parts missing except for the greatsword. As you approach to the foot steps of this once grand carhedral, the doors open.

An old, worn out dwarf bursts from the doors. He looks like he has a champion of a hangover, and hasn’t slept for days. He tries to push past you. ”Eeeeh? Another on? I toold ya’ - we aaaah cloooosed! The gods have taken a leave of absence. I’m aff to the brewer, good day.”

Diplomacy DC 10:

You can try to buy the dwarf a drink at the Greenforest Inn. He seems saddened by something.

Grand Lodge

CORE-Male elf | Rogue 2 / Illusionist 1 |HP: 18/18 | AC18 T 14 FF 14 | F+0 R+7 W+2 | Init +6 | Perc +8(9 trapfinding) | SM +0 | CMB +2 | CMD 15 | Speed 30

When we arrive via teleport
The stinky elf pats himself down, checking to make sure all of his parts are still attached. "Well, we're alive. It must mean he sent us to the wrong place." he drones. Looking up at the overly loud bird, "Ahh, that voice of yours works much nicer out here. I hope you don't break your neck on the way down"

Walking back
Naneryn is most likely the source of the gnome's slow pace. He lags behind the party. He occasionally stops to stare at a trampled flower, fallen tree, or just the clouds in the sky. And while it looks like he'd rather be anywhere else, his eyes and ears and nose are drinking deeply from these new surroundings. On his last adventure, he witnessed his party opening an extremely complex lock made up of words and people. While impressed with their skill, this revelation that locks and traps were not always small, magical/mechanical devices that he could get his hands on, deeply worried him. That they could be much bigger and didn't obey even the simplest of rules.....

Pretty Elf
When the pretty elf explains that we will talk later, you can hear him moaning in dismay from the back, "Momma always told me the Buggie-Man was gonna get me. I guess she's gonna get the chance to tell me 'I told you so' real soon."

Dark Archive

Thonrkeep - Maps | Campaign - Runelords

At the Goldenfire Tower
The sorceress takes you to a more private part of the keep, away from prying eyes. Once everyone is comfortable she continues. ”The dungeons are haunting more than anything. You know how children are, always daring each other to do dangerous things. But beyond the occasional hop skip and a jump around, everyone in town knows the history of this place. We stay away as much as we can, only those foolish enough brave the Halls.

Unfortunately, our teaching and prayers to keep people away were not enough. At least for those of our order. The Accursed Halls have taken their latest victims. My two brightest, Jharun and Tiawask, both unable to resist the dark allure of Athemons lair. Well, not directly. They both made it back, bringing pages of diaries of secrets they found. Jharun was convinced they found a way past the Door of Seven Stars without triggering the guardians. The stories they told were rediculous and no one believed them. So much so, the ridicule was so shameful, they both disappeared a few weeks later. This was over a year ago.

But, I know the truth. They were both so changed by their experiences, their warped minds were so focused on finding Nhur Athemon. They made their way to the Emerald Spire to seek his final resting place. I know it. I would have done with them, to protect them, but. I have a responsibility here. I can’t shake feeling responsible for what happened.” she finishes her story and is quiet for a moment. This is something that has been weighing her mind for quite some time - and your presence has given her a chance to come clean.

She turns to Naneryn and smiles. You swear you just heard her laugh, but the gravity of the conversation still makes everyone uneasy. Now, visibly more relaxed she comes over and pats you in the head. ”The boogie man isn’t real, little one. But then again, if he was, he would probably be down there. I like you - you’re funny. You’re going to need humour where you are going. Look after yourselves - no one is ever the same after coming back.”

Turning back to addressing the group, ”You should hurry. You only have a good two days before the Baron is back after the full moon passes. Any time spent afterwards, you’ll have to answer to him. Now I don’t want to remind you, but werewolves can be rather mean shortly after their turning. As you meeting him will be an inevitability, I hope you find enough proof down there to warrant your excavation. I wish you luck.”

You can ask her more questions, but for now, I have given you all I wanted to foreshadow from Iliara.

The Concordance

NG Halfling Ranger 4 Init +6 Perception +11 AC 19, t 15, ff 15 hp 40/40 Fort +9, Ref +10, Will +4; +2 vs. fear,

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 1 = 13

The brewer? I thought this was a temple to Gorum not Cayden! Regardless let me buy you a drink. It looks like this place has seen better days. the world weary former slave counted up what remained of his manumission. Not much but enough for this at least.

The name is Seward of clan Sodalug. I am one of the damn fools that's gonna try to plumb the Accursed Halls.

Silver Crusade

Male LG Human Paladin of Iomedae 4 | HP 36/36 | AC 24 T 11 FF 23 | CMB +7, CMD 19 | F: +7, R: +6, W: +8 | Init: +2 | Perc: +4; SM: +9 | Speed 30ft (20 ft in armor) | Detect Evil: At Will | Smite Evil: 2/2 | Lay on Hands: 2/4 | Aura of Courage (10ft) | Active conditions:

perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (15) + 3 = 18

"Did anyone else see that smaller cloaked figure with the blueish eyes a ways back." He then shrugs. "It must of been me"

The paladin offers his respects at the temple of Gorum before being shooed away.

sense motive: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25

"I doubt it is more than a dare. If it breeds evil, they could be lured there by a unknown force."

Grand Lodge

CORE-Male elf | Rogue 2 / Illusionist 1 |HP: 18/18 | AC18 T 14 FF 14 | F+0 R+7 W+2 | Init +6 | Perc +8(9 trapfinding) | SM +0 | CMB +2 | CMD 15 | Speed 30

The smelly elf looks up at Iliara and then back down in the direction of the halls. There is a bit more energy in his voice when he asks, "So you are saying that this old dude wants to be found or set free and there is something down there which will compel the people it infects to try to open this impossible door?" His head jerks back toward the sorceress. "Shielding. We need shielding. Is there anything you can do to protect our minds from magical compulsion?"

He suddenly reminds you of a small dog, standing on its hind legs, desperately trying to see the food on the dinner table.

Grand Lodge

CORE-Male elf | Rogue 2 / Illusionist 1 |HP: 18/18 | AC18 T 14 FF 14 | F+0 R+7 W+2 | Init +6 | Perc +8(9 trapfinding) | SM +0 | CMB +2 | CMD 15 | Speed 30

perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9 Nope, Naneryn didn't see any cloaked figures. sorry.

The Exchange

Male Halfling Air Elemental Sorcerer 6 | HP 26/26 | AC 18 t15 ff15 resist electricity 10 | CMB +1 CMD 14 | F+3 R+6 W+7 | Init+5 | Perc+3 SM+1 | Speed 20' | Elemental Ray 8/8 | Spells 1st 8/8; 2nd 6/6; 3rd 4/4 | Active conditions: none

The halfling perks up at Roran's observation.

No, I didn't see anything or anyone like that. It might not just be you. Keep your eyes peeled in case we're being followed or watched.

Telos concurs with Naneryn's line of thought regarding the mental sickness.

Yes, if we're to tread into this place voluntarily it would be great if you knew of a way to ward off what happened to them.

Grand Lodge

CORE-Male elf | Rogue 2 / Illusionist 1 |HP: 18/18 | AC18 T 14 FF 14 | F+0 R+7 W+2 | Init +6 | Perc +8(9 trapfinding) | SM +0 | CMB +2 | CMD 15 | Speed 30

"On the other hand, Pietro might just drown out any compulsive instructions. And I'll bet his voice has a longer duration than any protective magics we could afford."

Dark Archive

Thonrkeep - Maps | Campaign - Runelords

"Shielding your mind's isn't going to help you. I managed to quickly examination of Jharun and Tiawask when they came back to make sure they were fine. And, surprisingly, they were. Nothing was controlling them, they were simply, curious. Power breeds curiosity, as they say. Ask yourselves, why is it that the Pathfinder Society is getting involved?" she let's you ponder on this for a moment, while she prepares some documents from her desk. She prepares information about the town and everything she knows about the dungeon, which isn't much. Enough to get you guys started.

Dark Archive

Thonrkeep - Maps | Campaign - Runelords

At the Shrine of Battle...
Obviously suprised that you are making any effort to interact with him, Brother Eldrast welcomes your offer of a drink. After a longer than usual walk back to the Greenforest Inn. You find that people are avoiding the pair of you, and you find a table rather quickly over by a dusty corner.
After downing two drinks, the solemn cleric finally opens up. "So yu'r an of them fools who's going down to that hall. Well, let me tell you a story of wha ya shouldn't." You aren't sure if he said hall or hell, but either way, the point was carried across quite well.

Sorry gonna lose the accent here, i'm not the best with long blocks of texts and keeping in character...
"The Shrine to Gorum has stood against the darkness of the Echo Wood since my forefathers came to these lands. The Lord in Iron has been taking care of the forest, but even here he has his limits. Over the years, many acolytes have come and gone. But the fires were re-ignited when Iklavna found her way into his glory. A promising combatant, she was keen in learning the teachings of the Greatest Warrior. But it only took several months for her to lose her sences like the rest of them. She started wandering out into the Echo Woods, seemingly out to strike some sort of law on these unlawless lands. But she came back, crazy. She kept talking about, The Visitant and how she must face him. At first, i believed she was going on a journey of self discovery. A ways of connecting with the Iron Lord. But that was not the case. She was whispering in her sleep, tlaking to something dark. Something dangerous. All untill she dissapeared. So that is why i am done with this whole cleric business. The deific ones have abandoned us, and now, i have abbandoned them. But if you're going down there, as you say, then you really are as insane as Iklavna."

You can ask him more questions, but for now, I have given you all I wanted to foreshadow from Eldrast.

The Concordance

NG Halfling Ranger 4 Init +6 Perception +11 AC 19, t 15, ff 15 hp 40/40 Fort +9, Ref +10, Will +4; +2 vs. fear,

I tell ya, I wish I had another option! But these Pathfinders, they freed me from my shackles. What other choice do I really have but to repay the favor by helping them study that hopeless place. I had hoped you'd bless my weapon, but I understand if you don't want to encourage me to go to this forsaken place. Plus I guess you ain't a cleric anymore to boot. Rotten luck that. Figure we'll have need for a cleric friend. I fear you'll end up needing to bury me too, Brother. Seward nods along and has a good drink .

Dark Archive

Thonrkeep - Maps | Campaign - Runelords

"I wish I could still have the energy to give you some blessing. But what good will that do you? Maybe if you can cleanse that hellish place from all the evil, and after a few more drinks, then we can do business. Go without fear, friend, for you might not be making your way back."

Dark Archive

Thonrkeep - Maps | Campaign - Runelords

You finally meet up at the end of the day, readying yourselves for the journey ahead. There is an unease feeling in the group - embarking on this path was something you have been warned not to do by multiple people thus far. And yet, here you stand - having walked the majority of the town around to the far west, in the cool of the evening air. You have walked over a small wooden bridge, the water from the river you followed flowing silently.

You continue following the path. Here, you bare witness to the more shrewd warnings left by villagers, making weak attempts at dissuading adventurers. The sign "DO NOT GO ANY FURTHER!" has a sword with a red cloth around it embedder in the ground by it. A figure standing behind it.

As you aproach it, cautiously and weapons drawn, the figure steps out into the low light of the moon, revealing itself. "Weapons not needed here. Graalsk just want talk. Great Chief Graalk want warn Pathfinders. You go in, where old chielf is. Old chief mean. Old chief still follow the ways of Zog! Do not trust her, and bring me back her head. Greatful, we will be. Murgmo cannot be allowed to find old Zog temple!" The goblin waits for your responces, seemings harmless. Althought it is strange for you to see a goblin here in the town, you stop and think for a second. Roran rememebrs seeing the same eyes from multiple cloacked figures around town. The same one's who met his gaze earlier in the day. He realises that this town is full of goblins - the same ones were cleaning the streets of the rubbish, or doing other simple handy work. The strangeness of this, and the additional grimm warning is enough for you to take his words to heart. Thornkeep is a strange place, and you're going down into the heart of it.

Feel free to ask Great Chief Graalk questions, but we will move onto the dungeon from here.

Grand Lodge

CORE-Male elf | Rogue 2 / Illusionist 1 |HP: 18/18 | AC18 T 14 FF 14 | F+0 R+7 W+2 | Init +6 | Perc +8(9 trapfinding) | SM +0 | CMB +2 | CMD 15 | Speed 30

Naneryn moans from the middle of the party, "There are warnings and warnings to stay away, and now we learn that this boogie man claims both elves and goblins alike? We're soooo doomed."

If no one else asks, the stinky elf pipes up, "Not that it matters anyway, but did old chief Murgmo go in alone or did he take others with him? And is the old Zog temple said to be beyond a door with stars on it? And, I'm afraid to ask, what happens if Murgmo does find the temple? What does he seek to do?"

The Exchange

Male Halfling Air Elemental Sorcerer 6 | HP 26/26 | AC 18 t15 ff15 resist electricity 10 | CMB +1 CMD 14 | F+3 R+6 W+7 | Init+5 | Perc+3 SM+1 | Speed 20' | Elemental Ray 8/8 | Spells 1st 8/8; 2nd 6/6; 3rd 4/4 | Active conditions: none

Telos watches Graalk intently to see if he's being honest or trying to get some passerby dopes to do some dirty work for him...

Smell Motive: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 1 = 11

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Human Cleric of Cayden Cailean 5 | hp 43 | AC 19 T 9 FF 19 | CMD 15 | F +7 R +1 W +8 | Spd 20' | Init -1 | KnPla +6, KnRel +7, Perc +3, SensM +3 | channel 5/5 | daze touch 6/6 | Str surge 6/6 | clw wand 11/50 |
GM Tealk wrote:
Right as you finish your louder and more excited comment, Pietro, you feel a strong gust of wind which startles you.

"Brrr! I need a longer kilt!"

GM Tealk wrote:
You boastfully look around you, but there is no one there. "Why did they have to send the loud ones? Why is it always, the loud ones...?" Keep your voice down, you're strangers here and don't want to make a scene...."

"I DON'T!?"

perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (11) + 3 = 14

*shrug* I best keep an eye on my southern hemisphere. Definately need a longer kilt.

At the Goldenfire Tower
He meets the elven wizard with his traditional smile and appreciative ogle.

GM Tealk wrote:
"To be honest, I thought you would be...ah never mind. I'm sure if Kreighton has sent you, then you must be the finest of the this Society has to offer. My name is Iliara. You already know why you are here."

We do? Pietro says addressing the sage's midriff. "I mean we do!" He says forcing himself to concentrate on Iliara's noses. Nose! And that whole general facial area.

sense motive: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4

Longer, stiffer kilt.

Later at the Greenforest Inn
Pietro tries to to cheer the sour-faced dwarven cleric up with a traditional cross-denominational song and drink--lots of drink.

"♪♫ Oh we drink and we fight and drink and we fight.... ♪♫"

drunken diplomacy: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 28

Seward Sodalug wrote:
I tell ya, I wish I had another option! But these Pathfinders, they freed me from my shackles. What other choice do I really have but to repay the favor by helping them study that hopeless place. I had hoped you'd bless my weapon, but I understand if you don't want to encourage me to go to this forsaken place. Plus I guess you ain't a cleric anymore to boot. Rotten luck that. Figure we'll have need for a cleric friend....

"Ahem! 'CLERIC.'" Pietro says pointedly to the hat seated next to him while indicating himself as a bona fide card-carrying member of the profession. "Listen here gnome, if you continue taking this attitude toward my beliefs there is going to be trouble."

He hangs out with Dwarf for as long as possible, grinning criminally at Eldrast's mention of his acolyte Iklavna and her penchant for talking in her sleep.

"Heheheh Mums the word. Mums the word." Pietro says with drunken assurance.

He catches up with the others after his profitable working lunch.

"Hey what's this now? A sort of halfling leper? he says of the self-proclaimed goblin chief. "You look a bit green there fellow. Best get to the healer's hands."

Grand Lodge

CORE-Male elf | Rogue 2 / Illusionist 1 |HP: 18/18 | AC18 T 14 FF 14 | F+0 R+7 W+2 | Init +6 | Perc +8(9 trapfinding) | SM +0 | CMB +2 | CMD 15 | Speed 30

The lifeless, smelly elf somehow manages to summon enough energy for a solid chuckle. Halfling leper? That's great. I might actually like this guy

Dark Archive

Thonrkeep - Maps | Campaign - Runelords

”Great Chief Graalsk can leap over mountains!” he replies to Pierre’s comment with an obvious language barrier there.

”Thornkeep goblins do not like old Zog ways. Geaalsk change goblins to survive. Graalsk goblin go into Halls, their bones are spit out. Murgmo is up to something. You must not let do what she want. Graalsk not know where temple is, only that it teachings of old ways. Not the way anymore.”

The Concordance

NG Halfling Ranger 4 Init +6 Perception +11 AC 19, t 15, ff 15 hp 40/40 Fort +9, Ref +10, Will +4; +2 vs. fear,

Seward shrugs at the Goblin Chief.

Goblins are known liars and wild cards and thinks the group is better off without them.

The Exchange

Male Halfling Air Elemental Sorcerer 6 | HP 26/26 | AC 18 t15 ff15 resist electricity 10 | CMB +1 CMD 14 | F+3 R+6 W+7 | Init+5 | Perc+3 SM+1 | Speed 20' | Elemental Ray 8/8 | Spells 1st 8/8; 2nd 6/6; 3rd 4/4 | Active conditions: none

Telos attempts to say something to appease him reasonably, but hopefully move them all along quickly.

Look, we'll look out for this "Graalsk", but we have another primary task that we will not abandon for this.

Liberty's Edge

Male Human Cleric of Cayden Cailean 5 | hp 43 | AC 19 T 9 FF 19 | CMD 15 | F +7 R +1 W +8 | Spd 20' | Init -1 | KnPla +6, KnRel +7, Perc +3, SensM +3 | channel 5/5 | daze touch 6/6 | Str surge 6/6 | clw wand 11/50 |

"Right, right, right. Graalsk can take a flying leap and Mugmoo went down to get up to something in your old Log Temple." Pietro says trying to placate the little rascal. Though in sideways whisper he says to the rest of the party. "Next thing you know they will be taking up alchemy and joining the Pathfinder Society."

"You just leave it to us little friend." he says smiling broadly, ready to pat the poor creature on the head and send him on his way.

1 to 50 of 1,190 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Tealk’s - Core - Thornkeep Series All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.