The Devil We Know Series (Part IV: The Rules of the Swift) (Inactive)

Game Master Baerlie

Map

Parchments

City of Cassomir


1,901 to 1,950 of 1,975 << first < prev | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | next > last >>
The Exchange

HP 42+12/84; Rage available 14/21; Reroll at +4 0/1; Infernal healing 49/50 Barbarian-6; DR 3/-;AC 17; Fort +10(+12); Ref+5; Will +6; Perc +9; Init +2; resist cold/1

Iso looks at the sewer with disgust.
"You call this civilisation? Iso thinks s&*#ting in woods is more pleasing."

He looks around for pages to follow, and sniffs.

"Never mind about not smelling Iso. Iso's scent is meant for Women anyway. But Iso is sure you will once again enjoy fragrance of True Man when Tippy and Borrobol's noses emerge from civilisation."

He pats them reassuringly on the back.

He takes out a glowy stone and puts it above his head. The ioun-torch starts to circle and provides illumination for the Heroic Barbarian(tm) to see by.

Scarab Sages

Female Asimar Sorcerer/4
stats:
HP 18/18, NG, AC=12, T=12 , FF=10 | CMD=13, CMB=1 | F=1 , R=3 , W=5 | Init +4 | Perc= +4 | (Dagger+2/1d4/19-20/X2 , Ray +4/20/X2 Speed 30

Celentrai follows behind attempting to smell as little as possible.

Grand Lodge

Actions: ◇ ◆ ◆◆ ◆◆◆ ↺

You are now in the sewers, the stream blocks your way to the door on the other side. The water is 5 feet deep and every child in Cassomir knows that touching sewer water is very risky.

To get to the other side you may try to jump or balance across the stones.

The Exchange

HP 42+12/84; Rage available 14/21; Reroll at +4 0/1; Infernal healing 49/50 Barbarian-6; DR 3/-;AC 17; Fort +10(+12); Ref+5; Will +6; Perc +9; Init +2; resist cold/1

Iso, unfortunately familiar with sewers, does the jumpy thing.
Takes ten for 17 on acrobatics

Grand Lodge

Max HP: 24; Current HP: 21; AC: 17 (touch 15, FF 13); CMD: 16; F/R/W: +4/+8/+3 (+4 vs fear); Initiative: +4; Perception: +9

Tippy carefully picks his way across the stones. Take 10 for 22.

Scarab Sages

Female Asimar Sorcerer/4
stats:
HP 18/18, NG, AC=12, T=12 , FF=10 | CMD=13, CMB=1 | F=1 , R=3 , W=5 | Init +4 | Perc= +4 | (Dagger+2/1d4/19-20/X2 , Ray +4/20/X2 Speed 30

Celentrai carefully raises her dress and tip toes across the stones.
Taking ten for a 12, If possible I will take 20

The Exchange

HP 44/44

In his usual reckless style, Borrobol barrels haphazardly across the sewer.
Acrobatics: 1d20 ⇒ 8
probably plopping in with a huge splash!

The Exchange

HP 42+12/84; Rage available 14/21; Reroll at +4 0/1; Infernal healing 49/50 Barbarian-6; DR 3/-;AC 17; Fort +10(+12); Ref+5; Will +6; Perc +9; Init +2; resist cold/1

Iso extends a hand to help Borrobol out of the sewer.

"I tell you again Friend Borrobol, water is bad for you. You will get Sick if you do not listen to wise words of Iso Soturi. Bathing makes out unwell, this simple truth is known by all men of the north.

The Exchange

HP 44/44

"Hrrrumph! Maybe next time I'll have you throw me across." He spits the disgusting water out of his mouth.
Fort save: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25

Grand Lodge

Actions: ◇ ◆ ◆◆ ◆◆◆ ↺

While Iso, Celentrai and Tippy don't have a problem to cross the sewer stream, Borrobol hits the water with a belly flopper. Iso helps his friend out of the water. The dwarf's body luckily shakes off the effect of the sewer germ poison.

Behind the door to the north is a small room, the next door opens into a big chamber. A purple radiance washes over this cold chamber from a variety of lichens and fungi that grow on the walls and ceiling creating an otherworldly sheen. Straw-filled cages line the north and south walls. In the room’s center, a strange pedestal, carved in the likeness of dozens of grasping tentacles, sits fixed into the stone floor.

Marching order, please :) Who wants to go in first?

The Exchange

HP 44/44

Looks like it is single file. Iso-Borrobol-Tippy-Celentrai?

The Exchange

HP 42+12/84; Rage available 14/21; Reroll at +4 0/1; Infernal healing 49/50 Barbarian-6; DR 3/-;AC 17; Fort +10(+12); Ref+5; Will +6; Perc +9; Init +2; resist cold/1

Iso strides manfully into the room, peering around for signs of hidden dangers.

perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 14

Grand Lodge

Actions: ◇ ◆ ◆◆ ◆◆◆ ↺

Iso strides into the room and looks around. Behind the corner next to the door he spots an undead creature. The derros left a guardian behind, but Iso seems to be surprised.

GM Screen:

Initiative Iso: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6
Initiative Tippy: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21
Initiative Celentrai: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7
Initiative Borrobol: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 1 = 18

Initiative Ghast: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15

Round 1
Tippy
Borrobol

-----
Ghast
-----
Celentrai
Iso

Grand Lodge

Max HP: 24; Current HP: 21; AC: 17 (touch 15, FF 13); CMD: 16; F/R/W: +4/+8/+3 (+4 vs fear); Initiative: +4; Perception: +9

Tippy dashes 20 feet forwards, then turns to stab the creature in the gut, giving it a quick twist.

Stab SA: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18
Damage: 1d3 + 2 + 2d8 ⇒ (1) + 2 + (2, 1) = 6

The Exchange

HP 44/44

Seeing Iso temporarily caught flat on his feet by the creature, Borrobol rumbles into the room, turns to the right and tries to slam the creature with his warhammer.
Attack: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15
Damage: 2d6 + 12 ⇒ (5, 3) + 12 = 20

Grand Lodge

Actions: ◇ ◆ ◆◆ ◆◆◆ ↺

Tippy moves into the room and stabs the ghast in the guts. Borrobol's powerful attack fells the creature without further discussions.

combat over

The Exchange

HP 42+12/84; Rage available 14/21; Reroll at +4 0/1; Infernal healing 49/50 Barbarian-6; DR 3/-;AC 17; Fort +10(+12); Ref+5; Will +6; Perc +9; Init +2; resist cold/1

Iso, having noticed nothing eventually turns around.

"Look !" he says.

"Yucky dead body next to you."

Iso waves his finger at the others.

"Friends must be careful. IF body jumped up, Iso is nowhere near to protect you."

He turn turns back to the pedestal.

"Iso thinks this looks odd. He wonders if it is magical. Or maybe moves like other things Friends and Iso found in city."

He prods some of the tentacles.

The Exchange

HP 44/44

"What's in the cages?" While Iso goes to the pedestal, Borrobol goes to have a look in the cages against the walls.

Grand Lodge

Actions: ◇ ◆ ◆◆ ◆◆◆ ↺

Iso scans the statue, but it remains immobile on its pedestal. Borrobol looks into the cages and sees six human bodies. They are still breathing, but are barely alive.

Heal or Kn. religion DC12:

The wounds on the bodies are ghoul bites. They suffer from ghoul fever.

and I completely forgot about the ghast's stench aura :D

Scarab Sages

Female Asimar Sorcerer/4
stats:
HP 18/18, NG, AC=12, T=12 , FF=10 | CMD=13, CMB=1 | F=1 , R=3 , W=5 | Init +4 | Perc= +4 | (Dagger+2/1d4/19-20/X2 , Ray +4/20/X2 Speed 30

Celentrai enters the room with a look of surprise.
"That was fast! Does anyone know how bad they are? Should we take the time to bring them back up for help or should we move on and help them when we are done?"

The Exchange

HP 44/44

Borrobol takes a look at the barely alive humans. "This isn't good. I think that creature back by the entrance was a ghoul or a ghast and it has bitten these humans. If we don't get them help, they will turn into ghouls too. But, I think we should push on and come back to help them later. It may take us quite some time to get them to safety."
Knowledge (religion): 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14

Grand Lodge

Actions: ◇ ◆ ◆◆ ◆◆◆ ↺

you have about 48h before they turn into ghouls

The Exchange

HP 44/44

"Let's come back for them. It should still take a couple of days before they turn. Things might be more urgent ahead of us."

The Exchange

HP 42+12/84; Rage available 14/21; Reroll at +4 0/1; Infernal healing 49/50 Barbarian-6; DR 3/-;AC 17; Fort +10(+12); Ref+5; Will +6; Perc +9; Init +2; resist cold/1

Iso nods.

"Iso will chop any ghoul in two!"

He looks at the folk in cages. Are they dressed as prisoners?

"Iso will return. Rest assured!"

He heads towards the other door and looks at it.
perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8

However he is rather distracted by a flee from his bear. A quick munch later and he is back at the door - someone oblivious.

Grand Lodge

Actions: ◇ ◆ ◆◆ ◆◆◆ ↺

actually you can't see the other door at the moment ;) I marked the walls around the room you are currently in with a red line

The men in the cells do not look like prisoners. according to the script they are thief-takers

Perception DC15:

You see some loose floor tiles. Beneath one of them you find a hidden switch. You find a chest filled with Cassomir trade bars in an empty cell, next to it somebody placed some gear: masterwork longbow with 20 +1 arrows and magic bracers.

The Exchange

HP 44/44

Moving past the prisoners, Borrobol has a look around the rest of the room. "Look here. Some loose floor tiles." The dwarf kicks them aside. "And a switch. Might activate a door or something. Want to have a look Tippy?" Something in one of the empty cells catches his eye, "Ah, and over there someone left a chest. Maybe we should have a look at that too."
Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 3 = 20

Grand Lodge

Max HP: 24; Current HP: 21; AC: 17 (touch 15, FF 13); CMD: 16; F/R/W: +4/+8/+3 (+4 vs fear); Initiative: +4; Perception: +9

Tippy has a look see.

Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (4) + 9 = 13

The Exchange

HP 42+12/84; Rage available 14/21; Reroll at +4 0/1; Infernal healing 49/50 Barbarian-6; DR 3/-;AC 17; Fort +10(+12); Ref+5; Will +6; Perc +9; Init +2; resist cold/1

Oopse, sorry

Iso looks at the bow, but passes over it - and gives his axe an affectionate pat as he does so.

"Celentrai want pretty bracelets?" he asks in a generous manner.

Grand Lodge

Actions: ◇ ◆ ◆◆ ◆◆◆ ↺

Sooner or later you find out that the switch under the floor tiles makes the room turn counter-clockwise.

The Exchange

HP 44/44

After collecting a splitting up the items, Borrobol flips the switch and crosses the chamber to the new door. "Same plan? Tippy check the door, Iso first to open it and then me?"
Perception on the door: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4

Grand Lodge

Actions: ◇ ◆ ◆◆ ◆◆◆ ↺

Borrobol flips the switch and with a very loud grinding noise the room starts to rotate. The door disappears and after a few minutes another one appears. Small scraps of papers are in front of the door.

Borrobol does not find anything unusual.

The Exchange

HP 44/44

Borrobol picks up one of the scraps of paper and looks at its front and back to see if there is any writing.

The Exchange

HP 42+12/84; Rage available 14/21; Reroll at +4 0/1; Infernal healing 49/50 Barbarian-6; DR 3/-;AC 17; Fort +10(+12); Ref+5; Will +6; Perc +9; Init +2; resist cold/1

Iso looks at the scraps too.

"Iso good with scraps of paper! he says remembering the map parts from earlier.

He also appraoches the new door.

perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20

Scarab Sages

Female Asimar Sorcerer/4
stats:
HP 18/18, NG, AC=12, T=12 , FF=10 | CMD=13, CMB=1 | F=1 , R=3 , W=5 | Init +4 | Perc= +4 | (Dagger+2/1d4/19-20/X2 , Ray +4/20/X2 Speed 30

Celentrai smiles at the beautiful bracers.
"Yes they will go very nicely with my outfit" and she quickly places them on her wrist admiring how they look.

"Oh the room has moved! Shall we follow the trail left for us?"

Grand Lodge

Max HP: 24; Current HP: 21; AC: 17 (touch 15, FF 13); CMD: 16; F/R/W: +4/+8/+3 (+4 vs fear); Initiative: +4; Perception: +9

Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (16) + 9 = 25

Tippy checks out the new door for nasty surprises. He nearly calls out a warning about the poison gas trap until he realizes it's just Iso collecting the bits of paper.

Grand Lodge

Actions: ◇ ◆ ◆◆ ◆◆◆ ↺

The scraps of paper do not have anything written on them, it seems to be a trail to be followed. like the breadcrumbs of Hänsel You follow the trail which leads you out of the Ismacco tunnel system and deeper into the caverns beneath Cassomir.

The cavern ceilings reach an average height of 40 feet, and stalactites and stalagmites litter the chambers. Salt deposits line the cavern ahead and several side passages branch east and west and run rich with blue crystals before ending at cave-ins. Eight smoldering torches illuminate a small tunnel ahead — beyond all is pitch black, though the sound of running water echoes out from the darkness.

Survival DC15:

You find signs of a battle: dried blood, discarded rusted daggers, and several mite corpses. The mite coup likely failed.

Perception DC12:

You find a note tucked under a rock near the torch-lit tunnel written in the same hand as the journal entry you found before.

Note, read only if you found it:

Hope is lost. The mites attempted a coup, but were betrayed
by their own and murdered. My mind tires and I long for
mercy in the bellies of the mite’s vermin rather than face
the unknown terror that waits when the derros force me into
the fetid pool I’ve heard bubbling in the room beyond.

The Exchange

HP 42+12/84; Rage available 14/21; Reroll at +4 0/1; Infernal healing 49/50 Barbarian-6; DR 3/-;AC 17; Fort +10(+12); Ref+5; Will +6; Perc +9; Init +2; resist cold/1

Takes ten on survival

"Iso sees sign of a battle. More dead fey." - he points out the various bodies and equipment to the group.

perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8

But he is too busy to see a note, and if he did, probably thought it was another bit of the trail.

Grand Lodge

Max HP: 24; Current HP: 21; AC: 17 (touch 15, FF 13); CMD: 16; F/R/W: +4/+8/+3 (+4 vs fear); Initiative: +4; Perception: +9

Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (14) + 9 = 23

"What's this?" Tippy asks, spotting some paper under a rock. He reads the note.

"Oh, lovely!" he exclaims and passes the note for others to read.

Scarab Sages

Female Asimar Sorcerer/4
stats:
HP 18/18, NG, AC=12, T=12 , FF=10 | CMD=13, CMB=1 | F=1 , R=3 , W=5 | Init +4 | Perc= +4 | (Dagger+2/1d4/19-20/X2 , Ray +4/20/X2 Speed 30

"Did you find something?" Celentrai wonders

The Exchange

HP 44/44

"If we want to have anyone to save, it sounds like we'd better get moving. Something about a bubbling pool that the captives were being forced into." Borrobol hefts his longhammer and moves to the mouth of the tunnel to the north.
Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4

The Exchange

HP 42+12/84; Rage available 14/21; Reroll at +4 0/1; Infernal healing 49/50 Barbarian-6; DR 3/-;AC 17; Fort +10(+12); Ref+5; Will +6; Perc +9; Init +2; resist cold/1

Iso scratches his head. "Why Mites make house for Chickens?"

He follows Borrobol.

Grand Lodge

Actions: ◇ ◆ ◆◆ ◆◆◆ ↺

Borrobol and Iso advance into the tunnel and past it. Behind the tunnel is another chamber with a pool on the other side. Its green waters bathing the high ceilings in an eerie green light. The pool is open to the cavern on the south and east sides, but borders the cavern walls to the north and west. On the north side of the cavern, a small alcove sits above the water line, inside of which rests a small stone table. Dozens of corpses float serenely on the surface of the pool.

Hundreds of prisoners, both human and mite, fill the caverns to the west of the pool. A line of prisoners, herded by injured derros and mites, marches from the western caverns into the pool. Each time a body dips beneath the water, the stone table in the alcove north of the pool flashes in a near-blinding green brilliance, filling the entire cavern with near daylight brightness.

There are several dozen injured derros here and a handful of their remaining mite slaves. Once they see you, the derros ready themselves to attack, but are then swarmed by several brave prisoners and the captive mites who attempted the coup the night before. Completely overwhelmed, the derros try to beat back their attackers, although a small group of three derros finally reaches you and attack.

GM Screen:

Initiative Iso: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 2 = 20
Initiative Tippy: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21
Initiative Celentrai: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6
Initiative Borrobol: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 1 = 12

Initiative Derro blue: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10
Initiative Derro red: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11
Initiative Derro green: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22

One of the derros casts a spell and suddenly you hear an extremely loud noise, almost deafening you. sound burst, DC15 Fort or stunned
Damage: 1d8 ⇒ 4

Round 1
Derro green
-----
Tippy
Iso
Borrobol

-----
Derro blue
Derro red
-----
Celentrai

The Exchange

HP 42+12/84; Rage available 14/21; Reroll at +4 0/1; Infernal healing 49/50 Barbarian-6; DR 3/-;AC 17; Fort +10(+12); Ref+5; Will +6; Perc +9; Init +2; resist cold/1

fort: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (5) + 9 = 14

Iso reels from the sound.

The Exchange

HP 44/44

Borrobol cheers on the prisoners and girds himself for the oncoming derro, but fails to steel himself for their spell. Ears ringing, he drops his longhammer to the ground.
Stunned sucks...at least I have more weapons.
Fort: 1d20 + 7 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 7 + 2 = 11
hp 40/44

Grand Lodge

Max HP: 24; Current HP: 21; AC: 17 (touch 15, FF 13); CMD: 16; F/R/W: +4/+8/+3 (+4 vs fear); Initiative: +4; Perception: +9

Fort: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 4 = 15

Already used to loud noises from Iso's nightly flatulence, Tippy ignores most of the spell.

He enjoys being upstairs from Iso and able to fling daggers at green derro.

Dagger: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25
Damage: 1d3 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4

Dagger: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 26
Damage: 1d3 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5

Grand Lodge

Actions: ◇ ◆ ◆◆ ◆◆◆ ↺

While Iso and Borrobol's ears start to bleed form the noise Tippy flings two daggers at the derro in green pants. Both daggers hit.

The other two derros move closer, one of them steps up to Borrobol while the other one casts a spell on Tippy. daze, DC13 will

Round 1
Derro green -9HP
-----
Tippy
Iso
Borrobol
-----
Derro blue
Derro red
-----
Celentrai

Grand Lodge

Max HP: 24; Current HP: 21; AC: 17 (touch 15, FF 13); CMD: 16; F/R/W: +4/+8/+3 (+4 vs fear); Initiative: +4; Perception: +9

Will: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9

Tippy, ready to fight, finds himself completely distracted by the concept of a derro wearing a cherry red ascot, and stands there stupefied by the fashion violation.

Scarab Sages

Female Asimar Sorcerer/4
stats:
HP 18/18, NG, AC=12, T=12 , FF=10 | CMD=13, CMB=1 | F=1 , R=3 , W=5 | Init +4 | Perc= +4 | (Dagger+2/1d4/19-20/X2 , Ray +4/20/X2 Speed 30

Will: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16

Celenetrai shakes her head to rid the ringing in her ears.
"I don't think so."

She then throws a ball of grease at Derro Blue's weapon.
Casting grease at Derro blue's weapon. DC14

Grand Lodge

Actions: ◇ ◆ ◆◆ ◆◆◆ ↺

Tippy is distracted by the derro fashion violation while Celentrai somehow manages to resist the noise to cast a spell at the weapon of one of the derros. The derro almost drops the item, but with a firm grip he keeps it in his hands.
Reflex: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (18) + 3 = 21

The derro with green boots gets closer to Iso and swings his short sword.
green vs. Iso: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21
Damage: 1d4 ⇒ 4

all daze/bleeding ears effects are gone

Round 1
Derro green -9HP
-----
Tippy
Iso
Borrobol

-----
Derro blue
Derro red
-----
Celentrai

Grand Lodge

Max HP: 24; Current HP: 21; AC: 17 (touch 15, FF 13); CMD: 16; F/R/W: +4/+8/+3 (+4 vs fear); Initiative: +4; Perception: +9

Tippy flings daggers at red ascot guy.

Dagger: 1d20 + 7 - 2 ⇒ (15) + 7 - 2 = 20
Damage: 1d3 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3

Dagger: 1d20 + 7 - 2 ⇒ (8) + 7 - 2 = 13

I just realized I forgot the -2 for TWF in his previous attack, but I'm hoping the rolls were so good it wouldn't matter.

1,901 to 1,950 of 1,975 << first < prev | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / The Confirmation Table 3 All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.