DM NomadSage's Jade Regent (Inactive)

Game Master nomadicc

Epilogue...


1 to 50 of 4,697 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Jade Regent | Crimson Throne

The Path of Aganhei, Week 16:

Dates: 22 Kuthona 4711 - 28 Abadius 4712
Route: The Wall of Heaven -> Ordu-Aganhei
Distance: ~300 miles (Total: ~3900 miles)
Weather: Clear
Special Events: Formal Greetings

After leaving behind the Path of Spirits, it takes Ulf about a half-day to rejoin the Path of Aganhei descending from the Last Pass. From there, you make excellent time across the open expanse of rolling hills. The weather remains clear, and still cold but unseasonably warm, actually reaching temperatures above freezing at mid-day. After months in the polar regions, it is a welcome break.

A day out from the city, you start to pass small collections of farmers huts. Ensconced in winter, the locals do not emerge and pay you no mind. Ulf explains that Hongal's people are mostly horse nomads, and tend to enjoy the southern climes during the winter months. They keep only two major permanent settlements, one of which is the city of Ordu-Aganhei, and only because of the lucrative trade route through their lands. You see few living people until you reach the city gates...

Formal Greetings
Date: 28 Abadius 4712

When you crest a hill and take your first view of Ordu-Aganhei, you see the city is built in a ring around a large sulfur-rimed lake, which is surrounded by a parklike garden. Thermal springs create a veritable forest of steam plumes across the lake. One side of the lake is flanked by a massive palace on one side, and a large temple on the other. The rest of the city is a confusing array of winding streets and tall timber-framed buildings. A stout timber wall, forty feet high, circles everything.

As the caravan nears the northern gate, a decorated tower with a single thirty-foot high reinforced iron door, a platoon of twenty guards emerge to greet you. They are openly surprised and suspicious of your appearance, but Ulf explains something in their native tongue, and the sergeant in charge nods. Nevertheless, they begin a strict inspection of the caravan.


Male Human Ranger (Guide) 7

Formal Greetings

As the guards begin their inspection, Ulf sighs, but still manages a wry smile. "We might be here a while."


Female Human Bard/Monk (Martial Artist) 8/1 || Per +14 | Fort +7 Ref +11 Will +9 | BAB +6 | CMB +10 | CMD 24 ||

Dot/getit back on the campaigns pages. Was waiting for this for some flex-time stufs, should have post up tomorrow night at latest.

Liberty's Edge

M Half-Orc Holy Mystic Monk

Heng is phlegmatic about the delay. "I take it that they did not expect a caravan at this time of year. What is that temple by the lake?"


Male Human Ranger (Guide) 7

Ulf nods, looking at the temple. "Abadar, actually... or as they call him here, 'The God of Walls and Ditches'."


Male Human Vanguard 14 (AC:28 (32); F:15 R:10 W:13, Perc:+25)
Status:
  • HP:94/143 (42)
  • Vanguard Blast: 6/7
  • Swift Spell: 3/5
  • SpellGrapple: 6/7
  • Enhance Weap 13/13
  • Spells: 1st: 2/6, 2d: 3/6, 3rd: 0/5, 4th: 4/5, 5th: 1/2
  • Chaincloth Cloak: 2/3
  • Jingasa negate crit/SA: 0/1
  • Terra Cotta Talisman: Luck Reroll: 1/1, spiritual ally: 1/1
  • Suishen abilities: airwalk: 2/3, see invisibility: 2/3 resist cold: 2/3, daylight:3/3
  • Active effects: Blind, stnskin (120), Images (5), keen, res cold 30, airwalk, end elem, see inv, lt fort, all-round vision, DR10/adam, DR5/pierce, res skin)

"Banker god ... expect the bargaining to be tight."


Female Human Bard/Monk (Martial Artist) 8/1 || Per +14 | Fort +7 Ref +11 Will +9 | BAB +6 | CMB +10 | CMD 24 ||

"Wouldn't be...too sure of that." Maeve says after a moment of thought. "The gods aren't always worshipped in the same way in the same place in Avistan - Saerenrae in most places against Qadiran dervishes, for example. How much different is it going to be with a whole continent between and the road blocked most of the year?"


Female Human Bard/Monk (Martial Artist) 8/1 || Per +14 | Fort +7 Ref +11 Will +9 | BAB +6 | CMB +10 | CMD 24 ||

Sunset approaching the City under the Wall

Two days out, as the city should just be approaching on the horizon (if you've got a vastly over-inflated opinion of what Orgu-Aganhei is like, to put it mildly) Maeve excuses herself from her evening entertainment early, and heads off into the nearby woods while dinner is being served. Once she believes herself to be alone enough, she reaches into her pack and pulls out a jian. Slowly unsheathing the sword, she begins to step through the motions of attacking several imaginary foes with her eyes closed, biting her lip the whole time nervously as she moves through the dance with her blade.

Figuring that having a non-masterwork weapon 'randomly' on hand isn't. . . outside the scope of possibility for the sake of RP.


|| Per +16 | Fort +10 Ref +11 Will +13 | BAB +10 | CMB +8 | CMD 23 || Init +3 Halfling Oracle of Life/14

"Do you think it'll be a problem Ulf, or are they just surprised we made it? And how likely are they to have new horses? Do you think Skygni is going to cause a fuss?"


Female Human Bard/Monk (Martial Artist) 8/1 || Per +14 | Fort +7 Ref +11 Will +9 | BAB +6 | CMB +10 | CMD 24 ||

Formal Greetings

Maeve dismounts from the wagons, landing up next to Ulf and the probably-surprised inspectors to listen in on the conversation with a cocked head and a curious smile.


Male Human Vanguard 14 (AC:28 (32); F:15 R:10 W:13, Perc:+25)
Status:
  • HP:94/143 (42)
  • Vanguard Blast: 6/7
  • Swift Spell: 3/5
  • SpellGrapple: 6/7
  • Enhance Weap 13/13
  • Spells: 1st: 2/6, 2d: 3/6, 3rd: 0/5, 4th: 4/5, 5th: 1/2
  • Chaincloth Cloak: 2/3
  • Jingasa negate crit/SA: 0/1
  • Terra Cotta Talisman: Luck Reroll: 1/1, spiritual ally: 1/1
  • Suishen abilities: airwalk: 2/3, see invisibility: 2/3 resist cold: 2/3, daylight:3/3
  • Active effects: Blind, stnskin (120), Images (5), keen, res cold 30, airwalk, end elem, see inv, lt fort, all-round vision, DR10/adam, DR5/pierce, res skin)

"Probably think we're hiding something since no one in their right mind would come across the Top o' the World this time of year."


Male Human Ranger (Guide) 7

Formal Greetings

Ulf smirks at Harlan's barrage of questions and raises a calming hand. "They were surprised by our arrival, yes, but the city is a trade hub... may take some time, but shouldn't be trouble. The Hongals are well known for their horses, so I imagine they will have some to buy." He glances at Skygni. "The wolf, I don't know... might be best to stay out of the city until you depart."

Your guide glances into the city through the gap in the gate, almost longingly. "I know a great inn, just on the lakeside. They have access to some excellent hot spring baths, and the fare is great!"

The guard inspectors begin to filter in reports to their sergeant, who nods as he marks his tally. His stolid expression remains fixed until Ulf asks him a question. The sergeant's response brings a tone of indignation from Ulf, and the two begin arguing. There is a lot of finger-pointing involved.

Hon-La:
In short, the sergeant mentioned a 'winter tax' the caravan would have to pay, which Ulf took immediate exception to, as there is no such 'summer tax' that he has ever paid on previous visits.


Jade Regent | Crimson Throne

Formal Greetings

The argument continues until the sergeant finally barks an order, and his guardsmen stop their work and begin to file towards the gate. A few moments later, a well-dressed man emerges from within the city and prostrates himself fully before you.

"Honored guests! Welcome, welcome and three welcomes more! Please ignore these slithering worms beneath your feet -- I assure you they shall be punished for their insolence. Prince Batsaikhar, golden orb of sunlight at the black portal of barbarism, bids you welcome to Ordu-Aganhei, the City at the Edge of the World."

"My most munificent lord invites his honored guests to his humble palace to rest, dine, partake in polite conversation, and perhaps indulge in some pleasure. The Golden One says he hopes you will honor him with your clever speech from strange lands, a speech that he of all men in Hongal has mastered. He is eager to hear of your journey across the Crown of the World in this most difficult time of travel."

The man remains prostrate, awaiting your reply. The sergeant and the guardsmen stand stock still.


Female Human Bard/Monk (Martial Artist) 8/1 || Per +14 | Fort +7 Ref +11 Will +9 | BAB +6 | CMB +10 | CMD 24 ||

Formal Greetings

At the news of a hot spring, Maeve seems to be entirely in favor of that and is about to voice her opinion when the entire procession comes out. It actually takes her a moment to parse all of that before she bows, looking very nervous.

Hon-La:
"I think we will need to consult with our companions, but I see little reason to refuse your Lord's most generous offer of hospitality. Although we might need a few hours to wash off the filth of the road before we are worthy to be in such honored company ourselves."

Liberty's Edge

M Half-Orc Holy Mystic Monk

Heng looks a little crestfallen when he realizes that there are more languages than Tien spoken in this land, but he hides his disappointment as he bows and responds likewise in the common tongue, "We would be honored."

unclear if the newcomer was using Taldane or Tien.


Male Human Vanguard 14 (AC:28 (32); F:15 R:10 W:13, Perc:+25)
Status:
  • HP:94/143 (42)
  • Vanguard Blast: 6/7
  • Swift Spell: 3/5
  • SpellGrapple: 6/7
  • Enhance Weap 13/13
  • Spells: 1st: 2/6, 2d: 3/6, 3rd: 0/5, 4th: 4/5, 5th: 1/2
  • Chaincloth Cloak: 2/3
  • Jingasa negate crit/SA: 0/1
  • Terra Cotta Talisman: Luck Reroll: 1/1, spiritual ally: 1/1
  • Suishen abilities: airwalk: 2/3, see invisibility: 2/3 resist cold: 2/3, daylight:3/3
  • Active effects: Blind, stnskin (120), Images (5), keen, res cold 30, airwalk, end elem, see inv, lt fort, all-round vision, DR10/adam, DR5/pierce, res skin)

"Whats wrong with him? I'm assuming from the sound of it, he is lying on the ground talking to us. That's just f**king weird."


Female Human Bard/Monk (Martial Artist) 8/1 || Per +14 | Fort +7 Ref +11 Will +9 | BAB +6 | CMB +10 | CMD 24 ||
Parity wrote:
"Whats wrong with him? I'm assuming from the sound of it, he is lying on the ground talking to us. That's just f**king weird."

...anyone looking at Maeve when Parity speaks might get the distinct impression that she's considering fainting on the spot.


Jade Regent | Crimson Throne

He's speaking Taldane... you all understand him. I'll spoiler it if its a non-Common language.

The man jumps to his feet as you accept the offer. He smiles at Maeve, "She speaks our tongue, how intriguing and exquisite." He draws a gift from his jacket -- a black rose -- and hands it to Maeve. "There is no fire like the fire in the souls of the women of far lands. Beauty is the wisdom of women, and wisdom is the beauty of men."

He turns his attention back to the group. "The Golden One will accept no delay in greeting you firsthand, and graciously accepts your traveled state. Your wagons and servants will be admitted to the city forthwith, and granted a caravansary adjacent to the palace."

The man bows low at the waist. "If you will follow this humble servant, he will guide you through the city."


|| Per +16 | Fort +10 Ref +11 Will +13 | BAB +10 | CMB +8 | CMD 23 || Init +3 Halfling Oracle of Life/14

"Ok. So...that's interesting. How did your lord know we were here? Ulf, is this normal? Maeve when did you learn their language? You'll have to teach us, I only speak Tien."

Liberty's Edge

M Half-Orc Holy Mystic Monk

The black rose attracts Heng's attention. He questions the servant as they walk, "Please excuse my ignorance sir, but do black roses frow naturally here? What is the significance?"

sense motive on the response 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (16) + 15 = 31


Male Human Vanguard 14 (AC:28 (32); F:15 R:10 W:13, Perc:+25)
Status:
  • HP:94/143 (42)
  • Vanguard Blast: 6/7
  • Swift Spell: 3/5
  • SpellGrapple: 6/7
  • Enhance Weap 13/13
  • Spells: 1st: 2/6, 2d: 3/6, 3rd: 0/5, 4th: 4/5, 5th: 1/2
  • Chaincloth Cloak: 2/3
  • Jingasa negate crit/SA: 0/1
  • Terra Cotta Talisman: Luck Reroll: 1/1, spiritual ally: 1/1
  • Suishen abilities: airwalk: 2/3, see invisibility: 2/3 resist cold: 2/3, daylight:3/3
  • Active effects: Blind, stnskin (120), Images (5), keen, res cold 30, airwalk, end elem, see inv, lt fort, all-round vision, DR10/adam, DR5/pierce, res skin)

Parity continues to mutter, "Weird ..." to himself and then places his hand on Suishen's hilt.

This standard practice around here? He seems way too friendly and eager to "escort us"


Female Human Bard/Monk (Martial Artist) 8/1 || Per +14 | Fort +7 Ref +11 Will +9 | BAB +6 | CMB +10 | CMD 24 ||

After seeing the situation fail to degenerate into a truly spectacular mess, Maeve relaxes...marginally. "I've been working on it between Ulf and the books and scrolls we picked up. I thought it might be useful." She quickly goes back over all the comments, and blushes at the compliment given. "Uhm, thank you."


Male Human Ranger (Guide) 7

Ulf shrugs at Harlan. "I have never been invited to the prince's palace before, but it is an odd time of year for any caravan's to be showing up. This should be interesting."


Jade Regent | Crimson Throne

Parity:
Suishen replies, It is not unusual. In Tian Xia, the facade of graciousness and politeness is often overdone in an effort to avoid insult and embarrassment. Here, it is not necessarily a warning sign for duplicity.

The man smiles and nods to Heng's query. "The significance is the favor of our prince. The roses are natural to Hongal, though not this time of year. That one is a gift from the prince's personal garden, to be given to the most beautiful among you."


Female Human Bard/Monk (Martial Artist) 8/1 || Per +14 | Fort +7 Ref +11 Will +9 | BAB +6 | CMB +10 | CMD 24 ||

Maeve blushes again. "...I would disagree with the assessment, but I give my thanks nonetheless."

Knowledge (Local)(Any significance to a black rose?): 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (7) + 13 = 20


Jade Regent | Crimson Throne

Sorry, forgot to qualify Heng's check... the man seems honest in his explanation, if a little over the top.

Maeve... nada, its an exotic flower.

Liberty's Edge

M Half-Orc Holy Mystic Monk

Heng still isn't comfortable with the strange flower, but unable to detect foul magics, he takes the man's word for it.


Female Human Bard/Monk (Martial Artist) 8/1 || Per +14 | Fort +7 Ref +11 Will +9 | BAB +6 | CMB +10 | CMD 24 ||

Maeve lifts the exotic bloom to her nose for a moment, then frowns as she realizes she lacks anywhere to put it and finally just settles on carrying it with her.


Jade Regent | Crimson Throne

On closer inspection, Maeve sees that the rose is not actually black, but instead a deep dark crimson, nearly black in hue.


Female Human Bard/Monk (Martial Artist) 8/1 || Per +14 | Fort +7 Ref +11 Will +9 | BAB +6 | CMB +10 | CMD 24 ||

Maeve cocks her head at the flower another moment, then looks up. "Excuse me for a second." Without another word, she quickly ducks under the wagon to get to the other side (and the entrance) before rooting through, looking for her old hand-mirror. After about a minute, she returns, the flower put up in her hair.


|| Per +16 | Fort +10 Ref +11 Will +13 | BAB +10 | CMB +8 | CMD 23 || Init +3 Halfling Oracle of Life/14

"Ok, looks like we're ready. Let's go see the Prince."


Male Human (Varisian) Rogue (Swashbuckler) 8

Sandru looks uncomfortable. "I'll... stay with the caravan, if that's okay? To keep an eye on things." Shalelu nods in agreement, but as Ameiko moves to follow the guide, she sighs and trails along. Ulf and Koya are both visibly intrigued by the prince's invitation. Kelda shrugs, indifferent, and glances about for guidance.

Inputs on who goes/stays?


Female Human Bard/Monk (Martial Artist) 8/1 || Per +14 | Fort +7 Ref +11 Will +9 | BAB +6 | CMB +10 | CMD 24 ||

Maeve smiles and pulls alongside Ameiko while giving a nod of acknowledgment to Sandru. She whispers to the other woman quickly "I think you'd better come. Like it or not, this man's going to be like your next door neighbor in a few years."


Female Human (Tian) Aristocrat 1 / Bard 12 (Court Bard)

"Indeed, but I better keep a low profile for the time being."


Level 12 Magus, INIT:6, AC:29, HP:90/90, F:8 R:11 W: 8, Perception 15 (18 Sight)

Had to look for the thread, sorry about that.


Level 12 Magus, INIT:6, AC:29, HP:90/90, F:8 R:11 W: 8, Perception 15 (18 Sight)

Malnival moves from the back of the group and grins at the others. "I for one cannot wait to meet this prince. After all the snow, danger, and foul beast, I think it is time we spend a moment in luxury."

Liberty's Edge

M Half-Orc Holy Mystic Monk

"Tata, why do you hesitate? We are going to have tea with a prince." Heng smiles as he waves to Koya.


Jade Regent | Crimson Throne
Heng wrote:
"Tata, why do you hesitate? We are going to have tea with a prince." Heng smiles as he waves to Koya.
DM NomadSage wrote:
"Ulf and Koya are both visibly intrigued by the prince's invitation."

?

Liberty's Edge

M Half-Orc Holy Mystic Monk

Heng make leetle joke.


Female Human Bard/Monk (Martial Artist) 8/1 || Per +14 | Fort +7 Ref +11 Will +9 | BAB +6 | CMB +10 | CMD 24 ||
Ameiko Kaijitsu *DM* wrote:
"Indeed, but I better keep a low profile for the time being."

Maeve sighs, and lowers her voice further. "Not really how I intended to get into politics...but let's at least get his measure. We're going to need an army, sooner or later. This is as good a place to start looking as any."


|| Per +16 | Fort +10 Ref +11 Will +13 | BAB +10 | CMB +8 | CMD 23 || Init +3 Halfling Oracle of Life/14

"Maeve, we just made a trip across the frozen wastes to get ahead of them, should we really let them know we're here?"


Female Human Bard/Monk (Martial Artist) 8/1 || Per +14 | Fort +7 Ref +11 Will +9 | BAB +6 | CMB +10 | CMD 24 ||

"It's...going to depend." Maeve says slowly. "For now, no."


Female Human (Varisian) Cleric 5 of Desna / Harrower 5
Heng wrote:
Heng make leetle joke.

Koya grabs Heng's arm and starts to 'escort' him towards the city. "I'm not getting any younger," she quips.


Female Human (Tian) Aristocrat 1 / Bard 12 (Court Bard)
Maeve Haela wrote:
"It's...going to depend." Maeve says slowly. "For now, no."

Ameiko nods, "Until we know the situation in Minkai, and Hongal's diplomatic status, we keep our little secret to ourselves."


Level 12 Magus, INIT:6, AC:29, HP:90/90, F:8 R:11 W: 8, Perception 15 (18 Sight)

"Kelda, would you do me the honor of accompanying me to meet the prince?"


Female Human (Ulfen) Barbarian 9

Kelda snorts a laugh, but smiles at Malnival's request. "'Honor', is it? Okay, lead on," she nods, holding out her arm.


Level 12 Magus, INIT:6, AC:29, HP:90/90, F:8 R:11 W: 8, Perception 15 (18 Sight)

Malnival grins and takes the ulfen woman's arm and follows the others.


|| Per +16 | Fort +10 Ref +11 Will +13 | BAB +10 | CMB +8 | CMD 23 || Init +3 Halfling Oracle of Life/14

Shaking his head the fire haired halfling limps along with his friends.

Snow mad, they'll all gone snow mad. Not enough goat in their diet.


Male Human Vanguard 14 (AC:28 (32); F:15 R:10 W:13, Perc:+25)
Status:
  • HP:94/143 (42)
  • Vanguard Blast: 6/7
  • Swift Spell: 3/5
  • SpellGrapple: 6/7
  • Enhance Weap 13/13
  • Spells: 1st: 2/6, 2d: 3/6, 3rd: 0/5, 4th: 4/5, 5th: 1/2
  • Chaincloth Cloak: 2/3
  • Jingasa negate crit/SA: 0/1
  • Terra Cotta Talisman: Luck Reroll: 1/1, spiritual ally: 1/1
  • Suishen abilities: airwalk: 2/3, see invisibility: 2/3 resist cold: 2/3, daylight:3/3
  • Active effects: Blind, stnskin (120), Images (5), keen, res cold 30, airwalk, end elem, see inv, lt fort, all-round vision, DR10/adam, DR5/pierce, res skin)

Uncomfortable and grossly out of his element, Parity follows close to Ame, silently.


Jade Regent | Crimson Throne

The man, who identifies himself as Chua, advisor and herald for the prince, leads you through the winding streets of Ordu-Aganhei to the enormous wooden palace. The structure is immense and labyrinthine; you pass through several internal courtyards, gardens and galleries filled with exotic sights you only have a few moments to take in. You hurry past countless guards and servants, before finally reaching the central courtyard, a vast chamber nearly one hundred yards across, completely enclosing a small, steaming lake. Orchids grow in gardens overlooking the lake, while colorful herons swoop through the air, all beneath a ceiling hidden by prayer flags.

On a huge bed surrounded by colorful sinks, painted screens and beautiful white-painted women sits an enormous man barely dressed in voluminous robes, Prince Batsaikhar. Immediately behind him stands his bodyguard, a tall figure in full samurai armor, carrying an enormous drawn sword.

Chua leads you to the edge of the raised platform holding the bed and prostrates on a designated mat. "Golden One, this unworthy one has brought You the new arrivals to Your city."

Prince Batsaikhar greets you with a wide smile. "We see that... Welcome to Ordu-Aganhei and Hongal. It is rare and exciting to host a caravan coming across the Crown in this cold season. We can only imagine the adventures you have had in seeing through such a feat. Ah, but you must be famished!" Smiling, the prince gestures once, putting a veritable horde of servants into action. They stream in from hidden corners, carrying platters of extravagant food, fine jade goblets and carafes of fine drink, tall hookahs with an array of scented leaf, and an array of seating cushions that are placed before the prince's bed. This is all accomplished, with the servants out of sight, in less than thirty seconds.

"Please, sit. Ease your burdens and enjoy the refreshments. We are anxious to hear of your travels, and what brings you to cross the Crown of the World this time of year." With a smile, he takes a long sip from his own massive goblet.

All spoken in Common.

1 to 50 of 4,697 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM NomadSage's Jade Regent All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.