Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

Most useful fighter tools?


Pathfinder RPG General Discussion


What is the cheapest, most useful, magical item a fighter can have?

My vote goes towards potions of enlarge person. At a mere 50gp a pop, they let you dominate the battlefield with reach.

Give your own answers and discuss those of others.


Cheapest magical gear for a Fighter...

Potion of Cure X Wounds. Or as you said a Potion of Enlarge Person for emergency use.

Though a Wizard whom owns you a life debt might count. Especially if he is say a Halfling or Gnome and is carried in a Backpack or in a BoH Ala Looking For Group's Richard's Dragon.


Obviously it will depend on the setting. For a dungeon crawl or other underground setting, I like Ioun Torches for races that don't have Darkvision.

75 GP for a permanent way to see and keep both hands free is totally worth it.


I would probably go with a potion of protection from evil.

The +2 deflection bonus to AC and a +2 resistance bonus on saves against attacks made or effects created by evil creatures. Is probably not to useful at mid to higher levels but, the

While under the effects of this spell, the target is immune to any new attempts to possess or exercise mental control over the target. This spell does not expel a controlling life force (such as a ghost or spellcaster using magic jar), but it does prevent them from controlling the target. This second effect only functions against spells and effects created by evil creatures or objects, subject to GM discretion.

Has saved many a party member from being hacked to death by their own tank.


Ioun Torches aren't bad. Neither is a Wayfinder to put another Ioun Stone of some kind in.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Ravingdork wrote:

What is the cheapest, most useful, magical item a fighter can have?

My vote goes towards potions of enlarge person. At a mere 50gp a pop, they let you dominate the battlefield with reach.

Give your own answers and discuss those of others.

A club. At 0 gp it is a 1 handed weapon that can be 2-handed as needed to go from sword & board to DPS-mode-engaged, is effective vs skeletons and oozes, has a 10 ft. natural range increment allowing you to throw it, can receive maximum benefits from power attack, and is disposable. At 0 gp, it is probably the cheapest item in the game for its usefulness to a fighter. It is also a perfect weapon to combine an oil of shillelagh (50 gp) with, turning it into a +1 club that deals 2d6 damage as 1 handed weapon for 10 rounds; which stacks with enlarge person, and lead blades (if you're a ranger).

EDIT: Oops, you said magical item. In that case, my vote goes with Ravingdork at enlarge person potion, or a magic weapon potion.


Ashiel wrote:
Ravingdork wrote:

What is the cheapest, most useful, magical item a fighter can have?

My vote goes towards potions of enlarge person. At a mere 50gp a pop, they let you dominate the battlefield with reach.

Give your own answers and discuss those of others.

A club. At 0 gp it is a 1 handed weapon that can be 2-handed as needed to go from sword & board to DPS-mode-engaged, is effective vs skeletons and oozes, has a 10 ft. natural range increment allowing you to throw it, can receive maximum benefits from power attack, and is disposable. At 0 gp, it is probably the cheapest item in the game for its usefulness to a fighter. It is also a perfect weapon to combine an oil of shillelagh (50 gp) with, turning it into a +1 club that deals 2d6 damage as 1 handed weapon for 10 rounds; which stacks with enlarge person, and lead blades (if you're a ranger).

EDIT: Oops, you said magical item. In that case, my vote goes with Ravingdork at enlarge person potion, or a magic weapon potion.

I'm not sure if this was intentional or not... Either way I got a wonderful kick out of it.

& yes the Club is a wonderful item for any character.

But an Oil of Shillelagh, Oil of Magic Weapon/Fang (based on fighting style), and Potion of enlarge Person are all some of the best options for lower level Fighters.

Shadow Lodge

Azaelas Fayth wrote:
Ioun Torches aren't bad. Neither is a Wayfinder to put another Ioun Stone of some kind in.

BTW, there's no limit on the number of ioun stones you can have buzzing around your head. So it wouldn't HAVE to go in a Wayfinder.


At early levels potions of Shield of Faith are good.


Kthulhu wrote:
Azaelas Fayth wrote:
Ioun Torches aren't bad. Neither is a Wayfinder to put another Ioun Stone of some kind in.
BTW, there's no limit on the number of ioun stones you can have buzzing around your head. So it wouldn't HAVE to go in a Wayfinder.

The Wayfinder is more for keeping your most valuable Ioun Stone safely tucked away and still getting its benefits.


Dust of Sneezing and Choking, while basically an instant win for any character with a good throwing arm, is nonetheless fairly cheap.... in every sense of the word.


StreamOfTheSky wrote:
Dust of Sneezing and Choking, while basically an instant win for any character with a good throwing arm, is nonetheless fairly cheap.... in every sense of the word.

How could my Dirty Trick Fighter have missed that item...


Azaelas Fayth wrote:
StreamOfTheSky wrote:
Dust of Sneezing and Choking, while basically an instant win for any character with a good throwing arm, is nonetheless fairly cheap.... in every sense of the word.
How could my Dirty Trick Fighter have missed that item...

It's a pretty vicious one. A cursed item that can single-handily destroy almost everything in the Bestiary. If it's not immune to stunning (most living things aren't) then it's almost assuredly dead meat. >.>


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
StreamOfTheSky wrote:
Dust of Sneezing and Choking, while basically an instant win for any character with a good throwing arm, is nonetheless fairly cheap.... in every sense of the word.

That's dirty pool, old bean.


pellinore wrote:
StreamOfTheSky wrote:
Dust of Sneezing and Choking, while basically an instant win for any character with a good throwing arm, is nonetheless fairly cheap.... in every sense of the word.
That's dirty pool, old bean.

It's been known to be completely broken for a decade (going back into D&D 3E) and yet paizo did absolutely nothing to fix it.

Don't hate the player character, hate the game system?


StreamOfTheSky wrote:
pellinore wrote:
StreamOfTheSky wrote:
Dust of Sneezing and Choking, while basically an instant win for any character with a good throwing arm, is nonetheless fairly cheap.... in every sense of the word.
That's dirty pool, old bean.

It's been known to be completely broken for a decade (going back into D&D 3E) and yet paizo did absolutely nothing to fix it.

Don't hate the player character, hate the game system?

Meh, aren't they one use only? That plus the fact that reducing Magic Item available limits their usefulness.


Azaelas Fayth wrote:
Meh, aren't they one use only?

So are nuclear bombs.


lol.


True... But a nuclear bomb is surprisingly easy to build. After all Nazi Germany easily could have done it. If they would have stopped using the radioactive material to kill people instead.

Though a Nuke isn't just one object. It is ten. Even the bombs that fell on Japan were separation warheads.


Azaelas Fayth wrote:
StreamOfTheSky wrote:
Dust of Sneezing and Choking, while basically an instant win for any character with a good throwing arm, is nonetheless fairly cheap.... in every sense of the word.
How could my Dirty Trick Fighter have missed that item...

Can people intentionally make cursed items? where would it say in the rules?

Grand Lodge

Azaelas Fayth wrote:
Though a Nuke isn't just one object. It is ten. Even the bombs that fell on Japan were separation warheads.

Neither Little Boy nor Fat Man were separation warheads.


TerrorTigr wrote:
Azaelas Fayth wrote:
Though a Nuke isn't just one object. It is ten. Even the bombs that fell on Japan were separation warheads.
Neither Little Boy nor Fat Man were separation warheads.

Actually, it has been discovered they were ground level seperation warheads.

They split at ground level and launched up. The only Nuke that wasn't a seperation warhead was the original test warhead and they discovered it couldn't cover the area needed.

Vicon wrote:
Azaelas Fayth wrote:
StreamOfTheSky wrote:
Du triense of the word.
How could my Dirty Trick Fighter have missed that item...
Can people intentionally make cursed items? where would it say in the rules?

You can. It just requires a little more work.

NOTE: You can't tell if it was created successfully or not...

Grand Lodge

Azaelas Fayth wrote:
TerrorTigr wrote:
Azaelas Fayth wrote:
Though a Nuke isn't just one object. It is ten. Even the bombs that fell on Japan were separation warheads.
Neither Little Boy nor Fat Man were separation warheads.

Actually, it has been discovered they were ground level seperation warheads.

They split at ground level and launched up. The only Nuke that wasn't a seperation warhead was the original test warhead and they discovered it couldn't cover the area needed.

Are you joking or are you serious? Sorry if the question seems rude but I really don't know. :)


I really like the anytool. Most people think of it as a rogue-only item, but it's an instant crowbar, grappling hook, block and tackle, any thing you can think of to let you use your strength more effectly outside of combat. "The chest is locked." "So?"


@TerrorTigr: They really were seperation warheads just not the modern type. They weren't as effective.

NOTE: This wasn't disclosed until here recently. Remember that we had a lot of secrets most of which haven't been widely spread out.

Grand Lodge

Azaelas Fayth wrote:

@TerrorTigr: They really were seperation warheads just not the modern type. They weren't as effective.

NOTE: This wasn't disclosed until here recently. Remember that we had a lot of secrets most of which haven't been widely spread out.

Can you link me to some kind of source? I find literally nothing on this :)


I can't find the link right now...

Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Publishing / Pathfinder® / Pathfinder RPG / General Discussion / Most useful fighter tools? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.