Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Razorhorn

Moro's page

701 posts. No reviews. No lists. No wishlists. 1 alias.


1 to 50 of 60 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>

1 person marked this as a favorite.

CCleaner by Piriform. It's pretty handy.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Arakhor wrote:
We recently had a very big storm in southern England and a couple of people were killed. We may have regular grotty weather, but we don't usually have fatal weather.

One of my favorite things about England is that the weather, like most everything else there, is nothing if not dull and predictable.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Matt Thomason wrote:

Yep - and it's certainly a new perspective for me to think about - which proves we probably don't know everyone's reasons for wanting what they want. I'd love to hear more whys and less whats, to be honest. Understanding someone's point of view makes it a lot easier to accept it, and to come up with ideas that could make more people happy. Sometimes better ideas for solutions can formed from looking at all the "whys.

Why? Because I love new systems. I like breaking them down and comparing them to older systems, and I love to see the way games grow. It is interesting to see what new mechanics the developers came up with that they thought were important enough to include in the core. I also find it interesting to see what things were chosen to be dropped, and what things were cannibalized from existing/past systems.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Samasboy1 wrote:
Jessica Price wrote:
I personally believe good people don't want to prevent other people from being in loving relationships because of their gender. And I'm pretty sure our developers likewise would not make a good deity of marriage homophobic.
But no one seems to have a problem with good characters, or even deities, exhibit racism (and true racism, unlike IRL, since there are actually different races). Even genocidal intent is accepted among good deities.

This is a very good point. I wonder why that is? I understand why it is that other character flaws do not necessarily disqualify a deity from being of a good alignment, but you would think that racism would at least be on par with homophobia when it comes to such things. Why would one be acceptable for a good deity, and the other be an automatic disqualification?


6 people marked this as a favorite.

String theory invalidates inflation, therefore purple are ducks. With massive wind farms. And shipping container ghettos. For women immigrants only. Unless they have ever been caught on tape stealing mangoes.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

HP, specifically the 100% combat-effective until suddenly unconscious mechanic.

Armor Class, and the manner in which armor makes one more difficult to hit, rather than increasing durability.

Most skills, in the way they --

I am sensing a trend here. I suppose I just dislike all-or-nothing mechanics, rather than a sliding scale, or degrees of success and failure. HP, AC, most Saves, and most of the Skill system suffer from this malady.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pupsocket wrote:

I like how the people I disagree with in this thread fall neatly into two camps:

1) Gygaxians like Ciretose.
2) "Low ability scores is an excuse to be disruptive because I'm just roleplaying my character, you guys.

Ciretose is a Gygaxian? I laugh at the thought.

And since you haven't elaborated, what exactly is your position on the topic at hand?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
thejeff wrote:
Moro wrote:
Outlaw compound interest, convert all debt holdings to a flat rate of profit (at a sane level) for the holder of the debt. Watch as the economy explodes with activity, and your citizens become freed from debt-slavery.

I don't even know what that means.

Or why it would work.

It would mean that when someone purchases a house, or a vehicle, instead of the actual repayment resulting in an amount that ends up being 75-80% (or more) profit for the lender, there would be a flat interest repayment agreed upon at the beginning of the loan.

When a bank lends $150,000 to someone and then expects the debtor to pay back $225,000-$285,000 over 15 or 30 years, or face the consequences, it's called a mortgage.

When Vinnie down in Queens loans someone $2000 and expects to be paid back $3000 in 90 days, it's called usury.

Outlaw compound interest across the board, and see what happens. There are cultures that already do this, and they tend to have more stable economies, and happier citizens living longer lifespans.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

I love FATAL, it should regarded as the very pinnacle of game design.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

16. Dexter's Lab, wherein Dexter and friends sit down for some RPG fun. DeeDee ends up as GM; hilarity ensues.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Groo the Wanderer > Conan+Kirk+Lobo


1 person marked this as a favorite.

As stated in the article, Amazon is looking into the issue, and I reasonably sure that this will be resolved and that nobody of any real importance at Amazon had any knowledge of the situation prior to these allegations. They certainly wouldn't be the first major corporation to unknowingly end up in bed with distasteful subcontractors.

Paizo has their printing done in China...would reports of this nature coming from that nation really surprise you, and would you "boycott" Paizo products forever because of such reports?

If you wish to express your concerns to Amazon, by all means do so, but I would be shocked if they have not severed all ties with HESS Security by the end of the week.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

These proposed communities have great potential.

Imagine the awesomeness of the world if half of the wacko extremists suddenly decided to become hermits, and leave the rest of us alone?

Now if we could just get the extremists from the other end of the political spectrum to do the same thing...


1 person marked this as a favorite.
houstonderek wrote:
I love Feingold. He's the only one I trust to be about what he says he's about. In the Democratic party that is.

I dunno, Kucinich is pretty bad ass.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
The Saltmarsh 6 wrote:

Ok name me one class that at 10 lvl gets 4 attacks a round a base speed of 60 feet a round can fall 50 feet and take no damage, is immune to all diseases can do a 20 foot long jump or a 5 foot high jump from a standing start and a max of half damage from a spell with a reflex save

Without using ANY magic items

Actually this list of stuff serves to shine a light on why the monk is such a poorly-executed class.

4 attacks per round? By level 10 even most of the 1/2 BAB classes can get access to a spell and be capable of this. Also, most of your list is invalidated by this because it is based on movement, and unlike a couple of other class options, full attacking while using any of those movement benefits cannot be combined for the Monk.

Speaking of the running, jumping, and falling abilities...woohoo, you just presented a list of options that can be duplicated or superseded by spells in the 1-3 level range! When your 10th level class abilities are outdone by other classes 4th and 5th level gains, you do not get to boast. Also, most classes that don't cast spells are not worried by falling 50 feet, because unlike the overly-MAD monk, they had enough points to place some into Con for bonus HP.

Immunity to disease is meh, at best. Most diseases in PF are not much of a short term threat, and if a class does not have access to the 2nd or 3rd level spell option, there is plenty of time to find someone of 4th or 5th level who does.

Evasion is nice, but is not as big a deal at 10th level for those classes that do not have it. Reflex save HP damage is not going to be much of an issue for the other non-MAD guys who again had the points available to place into Con for bonus HP.

But yes, in a running, jumping, and falling competition that disallows spells and items, the monk will win quite often. Perhaps we should change the name of the class to "Gymnast"?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
xanthemann wrote:

Sorry I have been away for a while, it was my anniversary with my wife yesterday.

I give my players free run in the campaign. I don't really restrict them as to what they want to do, but I do try and steer them in the direction of the adventure. Rewards are normally large in size when it occurs due to what they have accomplished, like the last time when they saved a member of royalty from being a slave. For that they received enough to rent a small fort in Absalom. They are also on call by the Grand Lodge.
Few of the players try and go against what the group is doing and try to reduce the need for others by getting equipment to take their place or give them the ability to do what others can do. Some even try and deal with unsavory people (that is when they are taken advantage of.). They are only up to 3rd level at the moment and do not have need for all some are striving for. At higher levels they will be able to get what they are after, for sure. They will need it then; specifically the River Kingdoms.
Most of the party know I will not send more against them than what they can handle, so if the other few get their way with equipment I will have to send so much against them that some will not be able to do anything save for try and survive.
In short, I am trying to maintain balance between encounters and players, so that everyone will have a chance to do something important in game. This is why some of the players get ripped off, by unsavory types. It is due to their greed for power above others.

If you want to maintain balance between level-appropriate encounters and player characters, you should try to give out level-appropriate rewards.

300,000 GP at level 3 is nothing even vaguely resembling a level-appropriate reward, so you should not be at all surprised when the players attempt to use such grossly inflated resources to attain grossly inflated power for their PCs.


5 people marked this as a favorite.

This entire argument only applies if people treat males and females at all differently. Outside of a preference for sleeping with one particular gender or another, what is the benefit of doing this? Bottom line, if you make an honest effort to treat all people as people, regardless of their dress or genitalia, you really cannot go wrong.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

For the camera, there is already an item published by Paizo that should fit the bill...

Autonomous Cartographer


1 person marked this as a favorite.
sunbeam wrote:

To me Johns has been going downhill a long time as a writer. I haven't really been a fan of anything he's done since his original Justice Society run.

I have to say I quit reading comics for the most part after the latest universal reset. Tastes differ, but Superman without his red briefs is a sure sign something isn't right.

I find that emotional attachments to the color of a fictional man's outside-underwear is a sure sign that something isn't right.

On topic, it's been done before, and I am certain it will be done again. Hopefully this time is more interesting than the last.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Put me down for all of it, and toss in the kitchen sink.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I am just posting the first 10 that come to mind when I think of the word "Superhero".

1. Superman
2. Batman
3. Spider-Man
4. Captain America
5. Green Lantern
6. The Flash
7. Wonder Woman
8. The Hulk
9. Iron Man
10. Wolverine


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Aretas wrote:
Moro wrote:
Yay for slippery slopes. I am all for doing whatever you want, Aretas, so long as you promise to not cry foul on that day in the future when they decide to start using the same logic to begin labeling "Die-hard conservative RPG messageboard posters" as terrorists as well, because you are inciting unrest and possible violence with your inflammatory words.

In the future die hard conservatve RPG posters will still be called patriotic Americans who care more about their communities than evil gang bangers.

Please stay on topic with the gang issue.

In the future gang-bangers will swim in piles of dough, own dozens of phat ridez, and have bizznatches galore at their beck and call, having finally realized the American dream by way of one of a very few means their culture deems possible or acceptable.

Please tell me exactly where you draw the line, and who gets to draw it? Because whether you like it or not, the situation that I described in which people such as yourself get labeled as domestic terrorists is just as plausible and agreeable as the drivel with which you responded to me, or the situation I outlined above, only in one scenario you get to define things, and in the other scenarios someone else gets to decide.

That is to say, all three are laughable, but frighteningly possible. I am very much on topic.

Please remove your blinders and realize that there are acceptable and very well-reasoned worldviews other than your own.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Yay for slippery slopes. I am all for doing whatever you want, Aretas, so long as you promise to not cry foul on that day in the future when they decide to start using the same logic to begin labeling "Die-hard conservative RPG messageboard posters" as terrorists as well, because you are inciting unrest and possible violence with your inflammatory words.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Alitan wrote:
Thorkull wrote:
Alitan wrote:
]Uh, that's 'Eowyn,' and the only thing she one-shotted was the Witch-King's flying mount. The Hobbit with her one-shotted the Witch-King.
The hobbit stabs him in the back of the knee, which distracts him long enough for Eowyn to stab him in the face. Technically neither of them one-shorted him.

By the time the hobbit stabs the nazgul, Eowyn is already down with shield-arm shattered. And only the blades forged as a bane to the Witch-King of Angmar COULD have harmed him: even if the Rhohirrim (sp?) lady HAD bashed him, it wouldn't have gotten past the DR...

Are you quoting... the events portrayed in the MOVIE?!

'Cause that isn't how it really happened.

I think perhaps you need to reread the Battle of Gondor section in your book. Eowyn does indeed slay the Witch King after Merry stabs him in the back of the leg.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

WoD is WoD, the amount of emo and angst present is dependent upon who is playing.

From what I have seen, those who prefer oWoD prefer the richly detailed history and the massive numbers of already fleshed out areas and npcs of the world, whereas those who prefer nWoD prefer the unknown and the mystery that the nWoD presents.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Agognon wrote:
I learned what a dais is. Oh, and a gazebo.

Ahahaha, gazebo! I love that story.

Similarly, a ziggurat.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
DM_aka_Dudemeister wrote:

I don't take the internet seriously enough to get annoyed by it. I have real enemies that I have to deal with.

Stares at that ugly baby being strolled down the street.
There will be a reckoning ugly baby. Oh yes.

Yes! You are right. Babies are EVIL!!! Look more closely next time you interact with one, those of you who refuse to believe. Check out their smug expressions and beady little eyes.

Clearly they are plotting your doom.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Digitalelf wrote:
Umbral Reaver wrote:
What's the name for someone that takes things like Craft (basketweaving)
What if I actually WANT to take Craft (basketweaving) because it fits my character concept??

I think the people discussing the Craft(Basketweaving) issue would say that there is nothing wrong with that at all, until or unless you begin to act as if doing such a thing makes you superior to the others at the table, or if you begin to whine because your character is not at the same power level as the rest of your group.

This entire topic is silly, IMHO, because aside from the Cheater, all of the other titles are purely subjective. What is simple optimization to one group creates a freakishly overpowered munchkin at a different table.


4 people marked this as a favorite.

Torture a PC?

Start with Dell components.

Load Windows ME on it.

Turn it on.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I expect this will received in the same manner as DC's New 52. Longtime fans may have a fit, but the infusion of new blood into the customer base will balance it out.

This may even be a better move for Marvel at this time than it was for DC last year, while their IP is riding the wave of financial success that their movies have produced.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
A Man In Black wrote:
Doug's Workshop wrote:
trying to respond seriously
*bang*

Anyone who posts that (ancient, for the intardwebz) drivel needs shot as well, so turn the barrel towards yourself, AmiB! That silly thing has been around for ages, but I did read a pretty decent refutation of it once. The following are not my words, so keep the weapon holstered:

The Department of Energy has little to nothing to do with the energy used to power your alarm clock - you are probably thinking of your State or Regional Public Utilities Commission, which are by and large very poorly run organizations whose policies are largely bought and sold by those in the energy business, supporting localized monopolies that help keep your energy bills high.
Oh, but the DoE (or rather, the politicians who set the agenda for the DoE) is largely responsible for upholding policies that were very much in favor of big oil for decades, policies that until recently were tailored to make it next to impossible and highly unprofitable for potential green energy startups. Also, I wouldn't hold much faith in a Department of Energy that fails it's own Energy Audits.

As for the water for your shower, chances are that your municipality built and owns it's own water treatment plant and distribution system, but I can guarantee you that if they haven't already, they are taking a serious look at bringing in a private business to run that plant and system. All over the country this trend of privatization of water maintenance is picking up steam, because by and large the communities that have tried it have found it to be cheaper and more efficient.

The FCC has quite a few responsibilities, mostly including management and division of the airwaves, so that multiple signals being broadcast too closely to each other do not cause interference. On the plus side, they do help enforce competition - Ma Bell, we hardly miss ye. On the negative side, censorship is bad, mmkay?

The National Weather Service is a division of the NOAA, hooray for news! Government funded scientific research and reporting? Awesome! Can't really complain here. Same goes for NASA, although one could argue that privately-funded satellite programs are more efficient.

The USDA and the FDA both have issues far too numerous to get into here, particularly with regards to past instances of discrimination, and limiting competition. Also the FDA is practically owned by big businesses, who can rush almost anything they like through the system with the proper application of the right amount of money.

The NIST, again, yay for science! Getting everybody on the same page when it comes to weights and measures is a good thing.

The DoT/NHSTA is good for safety and oversight, though one could argue that they could do a much better job of planning. Traffic sucks. Politics has unfortunately seeped into the workings of the DoT to hinder the development of mass transit systems for years, though. Privately owned and maintained toll roads have proven to work far better than public roadways in many areas throughout the country for quite some time.

EPA - see my comments on the FDA.

Federal Reserve Bank - After the debacles of the past few years, you really want to bring up goverment interference and oversight of our banking systems as an argument of SUPPORT for more government?!? No comment.

USPS - lawl, another bankrupt government organization being outperformed by private industry.

Let's toss a few government agencies out there that you forgot; you tell me which of these work so well that they should convince me that more government is a good thing: (some of my favorites, taken from http://www.usa.gov/Agencies.shtml )

Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (formerly the Health Care Financing Administration)

Central Intelligence Agency (CIA)

Citizenship and Immigration Services Bureau (formerly Immigration and Naturalization Service)

Commission on the Intelligence Capabilities of the United States Regarding Weapons of Mass Destruction

Commodity Futures Trading Commission

My personal favorite dysfunctional government agency - Congress
Congressional Budget Office (CBO)

Lol No Child Left Behind - Department of Education (ED)

Department of Homeland Security (DHS)

Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)

Department of Veterans Affairs (VA)

Employee Benefits Security Administration (formerly Pension and Welfare Benefits Administration)

Executive Office for Immigration Review

Federal Election Commission

Woohoo Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac - Federal Housing Finance Board

Federal Trade Commission (FTC)

Perhaps the greatest joke on the list - Government Accountability Office (GAO)

You can ask any Native American how well this one works - Indian Affairs, Bureau of

Interagency Council on Homelessness

And let's not forget this one - Social Security Administration (SSA)


1 person marked this as a favorite.
BigNorseWolf wrote:
moro wrote:
You obviously do not buy into it, so why does it bother you so much what their book says about you?
Because while I don't buy into it, lots of other people do, and some of them actually act on it.

And it isn't the buying into what it says that is the problem, it is the twisting of the message to reinforce their own personal prejudice/agenda that is the real issue.

And it isn't exactly a novel idea that groups of people like to band together and choose to dislike other groups of people who are different from themselves. Big freaking deal.

Samnell wrote:
Quite the bar you've set for your Bible there. I hope it doesn't disappoint you when it's time for the performance review. High expectations work both ways, you know.

I wasn't setting much of a bar at all. You provided a quote, I told you that you were misrepresenting what was meant by the quote. That passage does not call those who do not accept Christ THE antichrist. The funny thing is that if you read into the rest of what is said there are portions of the New Testament that basically say that everything that any person does that is not directly related to glorifying God is in the spirit of the antichrist, including the actions of Christians.

You guys are attempting to impeach the unimpeachable, prove the unprovable, and preach to an audience of the blind and deaf. Even if they were able to see and hear your sermon, they would willfully ignore it.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Samnell wrote:
Moro wrote:


That passage is likening the unbeliever to the spirit of the antichrist, not actually calling them evil. It is calling them such in the same manner as if I were to call you an ass. I do not actually believe nor am a truly insinuating that you are a donkey or a literal rear-end, but you get the point regardless.
Which is somehow a good thing and totally non-polarizing. Yeah, sure. Tell me another.

It's only polarizing if you believe it is true and choose to take offense. It is assuredly not the damning evidence that Christians hate non-Christians with the passion of a thousand suns as you seem so ready to paint them.

You obviously do not buy into it, so why does it bother you so much what their book says about you? If you think those Bible passages are a hoot, I would love to hear your interpretations of the Qur'an, specifically the parts where they discuss infidels and how they should be dealt with.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Kirth Gersen wrote:
Moro wrote:
All 5 have agreed that the complexity of the systems are directly related to the number of splatbooks...
Heh. Check out Fantasy Wargaming, by Bruce Galloway (a history grad student at Cambridge University). There was just the one rulebook, but every task required a series of tables and long algebraic equations -- different ones for each task, of course -- so that simply attacking someone with a dagger became a master's thesis.

Oh yes! I had forgotten about that particular book. It was interesting, but nobody that I know personally has ever actually attempted to play it.

Jerry Wright 307 wrote:

Quite the contrary. I have thought them out to the end-point. That's why I want to change things, to create a game That I feel comfortable with.

The game is needlessly complex, with rules for things that are better determined through GM fiat.

I trust my own judgement to run a game far more than that of game designers who have much less experience than I do.

Reliance upon GM fiat is never better than codified rules. It is at best a necessary evil. I am not saying it cannot be fun, but a system can have flexibility and a lower level of complexity without resorting to just not having rules.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Digitalelf wrote:
stormcrow27 wrote:
Speaking as a Grognard myself, you're looking through the lens of nostalgia for 1st ed.

I have to disagree...

I too am an old grognard (of the "You kids get off my lawn" variety). I currently run a weekly 2nd edition game and find the rules far less complicated than Pathfinder (and 2nd edition is more complicated than 1st edition) even with the weapon speed modifiers to initiative, weapon vs. armor modifiers, and the other assorted rules...

One can roll up a character in far less time, combat takes place at light speed compared to Pathfinder, and DM prep time in general is considerably less (mechanically speaking of course)...

Rules complexity is one of the reasons why I went back to 2nd edition (though I have not totally abandoned Pathfinder)...

And how many more hours, days, weeks, months, years....decades? more experience do you have playing with that rule set as opposed to the newer editions?

Anything is easy once you have learned it inside and out. It becomes even easier once the game stops receiving support and no new rules are produced that need incorporated into play.

And as far as taking Pathfinder and reworking to something akin to 1st or 2nd edition, good luck to you, and I hope you enjoy playing with your set of houserules.

But the comment that you are doing it "by stripping out all the munchkiny-stuff" is absurd. The older editions were just as susceptible to manipulation and power gaming as the rules systems from recent years, so all you will be doing is stripping out the stuff you perceive to be munchkiny and putting stuff back in that is just as bad.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

A better question would be "Why is it that any time something comes along that might make the Rogue useful or fun to play in combat, people freak out and 'need clarification'?"

Rogues are not exactly destroying enemies by the dozen and making the Fighter obsolete or green with envy. No need to nitpick something that makes one very particular build work to even the playing field.

Perhaps a more zen answer to the original question is needed. Try this one:

Every couple of rounds the Sap Master Rogue appears to be doing (nonlethal) damage as if he were a Fighter. Is he actually turning into a Fighter? No, but he is doing comparable (nonlethal) damage just the same, so who cares?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
thejeff wrote:
Areas of the country where abstinence is more stressed tend to have lower ages of first marriage and higher divorce rates.

Source? I only ask because I know abstinence is heavily stressed pretty much across the board in all states, so unless you have some data that I am not privy to, you'd be hard-pressed to single out specific areas for this.

I am assuming you are attempting to toss a veiled insult in the direction of areas that you may not like, such as the Bible belt, Midwest, or Southern states.

Of course, if that is what you are assuming, you would be assuming the more "enlightened" regions on the coasts would not have these problems, but I am fairly certain you are forgetting a couple of things that would fly in the face of your claim:

The heavily Catholic Hispanic populations on both coasts, and the alarming societal problem of compiling "marriage and divorce" data from poorer urban areas, where the rate at which the two parents of a child get married at all, much less divorced, laughably skews the data on such rates.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Morbus Iff wrote:
dragonvan wrote:
The reason I wasn't reading comics was the amount of years of stories that needed to understand the present comics.
Eh, I call foul on that. Sometimes, the ONLY way you can get into something is by jumping right into the middle of it.

You might think that is true, and for you that may be the case, but there were plenty of potential comic readers out there who felt otherwise.

My personal evidence, anecdotal as it may be, is that of the 7 kids in my family (my 2 daughters and 5 nieces and nephews) not one of them felt as though they could "get into" the comics as it was, and now all of them are rabidly consuming as many issues of the New 52 as they can get their grubby little hands on.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Shifty wrote:

Moro, you aren't being 'harassed' or 'embarrased', you are being checked upon though. And I do note that even FHDM cites that his experience was generally through being in odd places at odd times OR undertaking activity that he is 100% aware will draw attention. Besides it isn't 1 in 7 or 8, its 1 in 5 of the people they searched, and not everyone is being searched - so your odds of being inconvenienced are pretty low. On the other hand I reckon you'd be the first to holler and wail if you were the victim of crime, so this is the price you pay.

(I base this on how upset you apparently get over interactions with strangers where the worst that happens is you have a chat and empty your pockets, I can only guess how upset you'd be if it also involved what was in your pockets being taken and you were assaulted to boot)

Whilst I would agree with him about the cycling issue (rock solid, we have those stupid laws here too) in these cases the search and 'hassling' came off the back of a reason to be having a conversation. They didn't just pull someone up and search them, there was a cause.

Protip: if you already know the triggers that draw attention from the Police, try not to be too surprised when you do those things and attention gets paid.

Now TWK I reckon you are right, there are probably too many laws that could be cut away, but too many to even know you are breaking one? really?

All I am hearing is "blah blah blah, you should be grateful to live in a police state"

Did you know that living in a police state doesn't mean that a person is more safe, it just means that they have more people to fear, because in addition to being persecuted by criminals they will also likely be persecuted by those with the law on their side?

Having the law on one's side doesn't mean that someone is doing the right thing.

Also, in reference to your statistics, when they are performing random searches of black males more times than there are black men in NYC something is off, as that would mean that a black man not only statistically guaranteed to have his rights violated, but it is possible for it to happen more than once per year.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
LazarX wrote:
Jodokai wrote:
LazarX wrote:
The problem with Heroes is that when you look close up at them, they turn out to be Human after all.
Maybe, but I'd hardly call either one a hero. The only Star Wars movie I like is Empire, and that's the one George had the least to do with, and by the time I knew who Gygax was, D&D was no where near my favorite game. I think it is just more a case of I didn't realize what pompous self-righteous pricks they were before. JMHO and YMMV
Steve Jobs was in many ways a pompous, obsesive jerk. But he's still a hero to me because of the great waves he made in the personal computing paradigm, in manyways redefining the paradigm itself to one of a digital lifestyle. If there's anyone that he can be compared to, it would be Thomas Edison (who had ample levels of Jerkass in his psyche as well) The main difference is that while Edison revolutionised four industries, Jobs did it to five.

If you're going to go that far out onto the Steve Jobs Fanboy Limb, then you have to give Edison credit for revolutionizing pretty much every modernized industry in existence.

Comparing Jobs to Edison is like comparing a set of high-powered floodlights to the sun.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Ringtail wrote:
Kthulhu wrote:
Ringtail wrote:
Pfft. I'm going to say the new Batman movie is awesome no matter how much it sucks.
Ah, well if your'e a Nolan worshiper, that explains it.
Nolan? No. Bale? Yes. Makes me forgive casting Morgan Freeman as anything but an untalented corpse.

"Grumbles and comically forces out some dialogue in a voice so stupidly hoarse as to be unintelligible."

Bale is overrated.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Lisa Stevens wrote:

Terquem:

You are not the only person going through the issue of trying to absorb the new rules. I have been playing since 1981 and have been involved with making games since 1987. I was an expert playing 1st edition AD&D. I could pretty much open up the book to the exact page by feel. I knew where everything was and those books had horrible organization. But that didn't matter, because I KNEW them.

Flash forward 30 years and I am as befuddled as you are looking through the various rules forums. It IS like a foreign language. There are so many feats and archetypes and such that it is many times a bunch of blah, blah, blah, blah to me. And I OWN the company and the game! :)

But I don't let that stop me. I run a weekly game where one of my players was heavily involved with creating the 3rd edition rules at WotC. He knows them backwards and forwards. He calls me out on my mistakes from time to time. I just roll with it. Sometimes it is great because I can just ask him what a rule says and he can tell me without me having to look it up. Sometimes it stinks, because I disagree with a rule. But the good news is that my players go along with whatever my ruling is and we move onward. Sometimes I use the old trick where I say something like, "You are right, usually you can't do that, but this guy can for some reason" or "This version of that magic item works slightly differently than the ones you find commonly in the streets of Absalom."

Basically, I am willing to wing it and not be an expert on the rules. I've decided long ago to put more ranks into roleplaying and knowing how to run a campaign that is fun and has people coming back for years and years than into things like Know Rules. I just don't care about the rules enough to warrant that kind of expertise. Also, that is why I have folks like Jason Bulmahn on staff.

In closing, I can understand feeling that the game is moving away from you at a fast pace. Us older folks (and I AM older than you by a little bit) don't adapt as...

This post is a spectacular example of why I have taken a liking to Paizo and have switched to Pathfinder.

No, the mechanics and the product are not perfect, but this is a hobby whose participants are above all else passionate, and the fact that the CEO (and from what I have read, pretty much all of the employees) shares this passion for the game is what sets Paizo apart. The shared enthusiasm really shines through in the end product.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

Every time I read another of yellowdingo's posts, I come away truly wishing he would share some of whatever he has been smoking with me.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

At the core, it is very simple to scrutinize and pass judgement upon every law. They are meant to protect us from one another, and that's pretty much it.

Therefore, any law which serves any function at all other than prohibiting people from doing even the slightest bit of harm to other people is a bad law.

There is no logical reason at all whatsoever for any other type of law. People have the right to make all of their own decisions which affect only themselves, even if those choices are not good for them in some others' eyes.


4 people marked this as a favorite.

There are less game breakers in the Tome of Battle than there are on the Wizard/Sorcerer spell list in the Pathfinder Core Rules, and the ones that are in the ToB are actually easier to deal with than a straight PF Wizard.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Tank, Healer, Damage Dealer...there is nothing inherently wrong with these roles. I think the biggest problem is that these have become the only roles.

The Dedicated Buffer, the Debuffer, the Controller, and the Puller (and more that I am surely forgetting) have been forgotten or had their role spread out amongst the Trinity.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Hey Ryan, I just wanted to say thank you for sharing your thoughts with us and keeping a dialogue going with the forumites here.

The developer/insider activity and conversation on these boards is quite awesome, and is one of the main reasons I became a Paizo fan. When I first heard of this corner of the internet and checked it out, I was amazed at the level of interaction between the community and the Paizo staff, and am ecstatic to see it carry over to Goblinworks.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Doggan wrote:

Do you complain this much if your GM has creatures ambush you at an inopportune time?

I'm sorry that you don't enjoy open PvP. It's a shame whenever people take such a narrow view of something before any specific details about it have even been released. Hopefully something changes your mind in the future.

Anyone who has ever played any player-competitve online game ever knows exactly what PvP will turn into.

It isn't a matter of if the game will turn into a gankfest with griefers it is a matter of when. That's not to say that all it will consist of is ganking and griefing, but it will happen to everybody at some point, and I do not blame anybody who chooses to not deal with it by not participating in the game.

As far as details go, nobody has any real details yet, so the glowingly optimistic side of things is just as potentially silly as the people who are saying right now that they will never play it because they have an overly pessimistic viewpoint at this time.

1 to 50 of 60 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.