Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

Tomb of Horrors (4e) - Group 2, Part 2

Game Master Rev Rosey


201 to 250 of 1,034 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Male Orcish-Nerathi Ranger 17 / Darkstrider

Darwyn:
Quote:

I get two majestic words per encounter, put I have a number of other ways of boosting hp temporarily.

EDIT: Also, if your drop an enemy to 0hp or less within 5 squares of me, I'll grant you 23 temporary hp.

Cool! Though 23 temp HP seems quite high; I think Virtue of Valor only grants nine temporary HP as you apply your Con modifier rather that Con score.

Lyan:
Quote:
Good by me. I still have second wind, just one major opponent, and a pretty high AC against random arrows.

Unlike me. Points to "collection" of arrows. :)


Norrin Axebeard wrote:

** spoiler omitted **

** spoiler omitted **

Whoops. good catch, i was thinking that looked massive. I just assumed encounter heals were supposed to be impressive, or it not helping bloodied lessened it or something.


Human

It's extraordinarily easy to miss things, particularly with the wide range of powers available to all of you. Don't worry about it. As long as we all keep a watch out for each other, it will all work out.

... i.e. I make a ton of mistakes and I hope you'll forgive them :)

Samson/DizzyDev - you around?


Male Orcish-Nerathi Ranger 17 / Darkstrider
Darwyn Tafare wrote:
I just assumed encounter heals were supposed to be impressive, or it not helping bloodied lessened it or something.

Yeah, twenty-something hit points from an encounter heal sounds about right. Virtue of Valor gives less, I think, for balance purposes because you could potentially grant nine temp HP to one ally every round.


Team 2: Let's discuss what we'll each do next, so we can take advantage of each other's intended actions.

Kidlat will use either Blade Bolt, taking OA from the bone warrior, or use dimensional thunder.


Male Deva Cleric lvl 14

If you guy can clear a path to the center of thr room I can use Cure Mass Light Wounds and heal everybody one HS+3d6+8.


Lightning Clash can hit B9 and B23, hopefully with enough damage to finish them.


If the thing is bloodied, I've got an encounter power that I can use to give +2 to everyone else's attack rolls - Bloody Ending, which isn't limited by range as far as I can see. I've also got a minor action utility that can give a mix of bonuses to attacks or defences. If we're in position to take advantage of it, there's also Lead the Attack, which is +5 to attack rolls for everyone within 5 if it hits. Any combination of these, with or without use of action points, would probably take it down. After which, do we think the necromancers drop? That will stop us being swamped in undead minions and makes the rest a cleaning up phase.


Female Wood Elf Cleric / 2

AE if you got em :), and then waste the necros


Lyan, Norrin, unless you guys would prefer me staying over where I am acting as a minor distraction, I'll try to get closer so I can use 'Lay on Hands'.


Human

DizzyDev/Samson - could you confirm your continued interest or not? If you're still in, can you make your way over to this thread as soon as possible. Thanks!


Male Human

Still interested and ready to go. I've been down this weekend. Lost my glasses in the ocean and haven't been able to see for 3 days... But I'm back and ready to go.


Human

Great news :)

Losing glasses is never good - I feel your pain.


Human

Before I hit Gamer Connection, are any of you interested in a slot in my Halls of the Mountain King game?

Level 10 and they're working their way through Open Design's adventure. The group really needs a controller as a priority, so if anyone is keen let me know. They're 10th level and have just started the second section. I can provide a "previously, in Halls of the Mountain King" to get you up to speed.

bmars - you were interested in this when it first went up I know, so if you'd like the slot, you've got first dibs. After that, it's first come/first served.


PC Caster Race
Rev Rosey wrote:
The group really needs a controller as a priority, so if anyone is keen let me know.

I'll join the queue behind bmars for a slot to play a guardian druid or seeker.


Rev Rosey wrote:
bmars - you were interested in this when it first went up I know, so if you'd like the slot, you've got first dibs. After that, it's first come/first served.

And it seems I'm after Peasant Railgun, offering I suspect an Invoker.


Male

I'll step aside and let Peasant Railgun step up. I'm at capacity playing in 5 PBP games currently and my 7 month old starting to crawl. I can't just set her down and post away freely, I have to actively watch her as she's going mobile.


Human

Ah. That's always interesting when they get mobile. Make sure you crawl around the house yourself. Things that looks safe from standing height are enticeingly yankable at floor level.

Peasant - you're in. Links to the active pcs are in my DM profile and this is the game thread.

Bluenose, if you'd like to take an alternate slot on a just in case basis, you're most welcome. If our cleric fails to return, and you don't mind coming up with another leader type, you'd be in like a shot. I need to nudge him.

The boards seem to be crawling right now, but I'll put together a brief outline of events so far as soon as I can.


Human

This is the Halls discussion thread. Feel free to browse. I'll put the story so far up there.


PC Caster Race
Rev Rosey wrote:

Peasant - you're in. Links to the active pcs are in my DM profile and this is the game thread.

Bluenose, if you'd like to take an alternate slot on a just in case basis, you're most welcome. If our cleric fails to return, and you don't mind coming up with another leader type, you'd be in like a shot. I need to nudge him.

On second thoughts, I'd rather play a shaman or some other leader, so could you please give my spot to Bluenose? I'll get on board if your cleric doesn't show.


Human

OK.

Bluenose - you're in if you'd like to be.

Peasant R - absolutely fine, and I'll try and get the leader situation sorted asap.


Rev Rosey wrote:

OK.

Bluenose - you're in if you'd like to be.

Peasant R - absolutely fine, and I'll try and get the leader situation sorted asap.

Woo-hoo.

Ahem.

One invoker, coming up. How urgent is it? I can't get to my home machine till this evening anyway to build the character, but I've two concepts in mind which I'll post in the existing thread.


Human

They're in a holding pattern, asking questions of Silent Master Caradlather. Shortly after that, I expect fireworks will break out. You have a day or so before I really push for activity, longer if you want.


Well, I've put three concepts up in the discussion thread. I suspect the dwarf is easiest to work in, so I'll do a little work on paper for him in my lunch break; I'll try to get all three developed this evening when I get home, and if there's a preference expressed go with whichever seems most popular.


Human

Just saw them. Posted there. Have fun with the builds.


Female Wood Elf Cleric / 2

How does everyone think the tests are going? We seem to be doing ok, but a ranged damage dealer would be welcome. Any other thoughts? Stuff working/not working?


Female Tiefling Warlord/Infernal Strategist 18

"I'm tanking the main bad guy in the middle of a crowd of undead. This isn't how I wanted my day to go."

I think we're doing okay, considering this is the first encounter we've worked together. When I GM it's my experience that it takes two or three before people start to get synergy between one or two characters, and more before people start deiberately creating situations for others to take advantage of. If there's one thing I'd pinpoint as an error in our tactics, it was getting too spread out. I started that, too, with Arishat being too far from the rest of the group to use several of her powers. A tighter oncentration would work better, with Lead the Attack being a great bonus as long as allies are within 5 - so far, there hasn't been much value to using it.


Yeah I can for sure take some blame for the spread out, I didnt notice the massive hints from Rosey about killing the shade as top priority the first time. Once the necro started summoning I decided they had to die.


Male Deva Cleric lvl 14

Next Time in battle we stay in formation and that should help out alot.


Male Dragonborn Warlord/Battle Captain

Hopefully, Samson should help out allot when it comes to navigating the battle field. With Skirmishing presence if we end up spread out to much, a few people use there action points and we are all into formation again. Its been a little tough for me to figure out who the heavy hitters are.
I think Norrin is a striker, which means me and him will get along great but other than that I'm still trying to figure each of the characters. I played 4e for about a year after it first came out and haven't played since so I'm not familiar with all the new classes. It looks like Lyan might be a striker as well? and Levana a controller after the move she just pulled?


Only two strikers, one in each group. Me and the Ranger in your group.


Male Dragonborn Warlord/Battle Captain

What is the dazed condition?

If I remember it correctly, you can only take one action. Does that include free action? Really, I'm wondering if Darion still gets my skirmishers presence if he is dazed. Its allows him to shift as a free action.


Samson Gord wrote:

What is the dazed condition?

If I remember it correctly, you can only take one action. Does that include free action? Really, I'm wondering if Darion still gets my skirmishers presence if he is dazed. Its allows him to shift as a free action.

You can take free actions while dazed. I checked, as a few of Arishat's powers allow other people to take free actions and one of the people involved was dazed.

Dedicated Voter 2013

Male Irish Physicist 2/Student 8
Samson Gord wrote:

Hopefully, Samson should help out allot when it comes to navigating the battle field. With Skirmishing presence if we end up spread out to much, a few people use there action points and we are all into formation again. Its been a little tough for me to figure out who the heavy hitters are.

I think Norrin is a striker, which means me and him will get along great but other than that I'm still trying to figure each of the characters. I played 4e for about a year after it first came out and haven't played since so I'm not familiar with all the new classes. It looks like Lyan might be a striker as well? and Levana a controller after the move she just pulled?

Darwyn=me= Leader Bard

Darion, Lyan= Paladain, Battlemind = Defenders
Levana=Primal controller class, forget the name.
Norrin= Ranger striker

Getting us all together is a good idea, but my knowledge skill on the shade kinda hinted towards it being a tough mother, it can keep its allies alive at 0hp. Though that must have a range because one of the necromancers bit the dust.


M Hobgoblin Battlemind/Quicksilver Demon 17 (Foe Killer)
Samson Gord wrote:
It looks like Lyan might be a striker as well?

I'm a battlemind, aka "fightbrain," which is the psionic defender. With a dash of assassin for striker-ness . . .


Female Wood Elf Cleric / 2

Levana is a Seeker, which is a controller primary with strikerish abilities

both groups have 2 defenders, 2 leaders, 1 controller, 1 striker


Female Elf Seeker, Crimson Hunter / 12

Seeker, Primal Controller with a fair bit of damage output. She's not much of a Area of Effect minion killer, but can spread out a few control effects, like Dazed and Slow. Lyan and Levana should team up to use Lyan's Beguiling Advantage, +4 damage to dazed, slowed, or stunned enemies. Levana's ranged basic attacks are pretty nasty damage-wise(1d10+20) and have control effects, so anyone that can confer extra ranged basic attacks, look her way please.

EDIT:Also, pretty squishy!


Male Dragonborn Warlord/Battle Captain

I will have to keep Levana in mind then.

My direct the strike At-will allows me to give any ally within 5 squares of me a basic on any enemy within 10 squares of me...


Human

Bluenose (Arishat) is right about it taking a bit of time for group synergy to emerge, and that's particularly true in pbp with the time zone issue.

I think you're doing OK. It's a genuinely tough encounter with all sorts of stuff going on. My gut feeling, based on everything I've ever heard about Tomb of Horrors, is that you may well end up fighting groups of monsters with well-meshed powers, so that's what I tried to create for you.

From my perspective, you're pretty balanced in terms of what you've done so far.

Group 1 managed to down a necromancer which has helped them a lot, but they haven't bloodied any of the bigger bads yet (although very nearly so in a couple of cases)

Group 2 still have oncoming minions by the many, but rolled better knowledge checks and have bloodied all bar one of the bigger bads.

I'm highly intrigued to see how it all plays out.

As far as groupings go, feel free to set yourselves up any way you like once this is over. It's your game, after all.

Dedicated Voter 2013

Male Irish Physicist 2/Student 8
Rev Rosey wrote:

Bluenose (Arishat) is right about it taking a bit of time for group synergy to emerge, and that's particularly true in pbp with the time zone issue.

I think you're doing OK. It's a genuinely tough encounter with all sorts of stuff going on. My gut feeling, based on everything I've ever heard about Tomb of Horrors, is that you may well end up fighting groups of monsters with well-meshed powers, so that's what I tried to create for you.

From my perspective, you're pretty balanced in terms of what you've done so far.

Group 1 managed to down a necromancer which has helped them a lot, but they haven't bloodied any of the bigger bads yet (although very nearly so in a couple of cases)

Group 2 still have oncoming minions by the many, but rolled better knowledge checks and have bloodied all bar one of the bigger bads.

I'm highly intrigued to see how it all plays out.

As far as groupings go, feel free to set yourselves up any way you like once this is over. It's your game, after all.

I'm happy with the group compostion! Group 1 is totally rad!


Female Tiefling Warlord/Infernal Strategist 18
Samson Gord wrote:

I will have to keep Levana in mind then.

My direct the strike At-will allows me to give any ally within 5 squares of me a basic on any enemy within 10 squares of me...

Lead the Attack is a feat you might want to consider. It gives an ally +1 to hit any time you grant them an attack. Even silly dragonborn ones can manage it, though obviously not as well as a tiefling.


Male Dwarf Warden/16
Tavar oracle of the Raven Queen wrote:
Next Time in battle we stay in formation and that should help out alot.

Yes, Barel also needs to keep his enthusiasm in check and actually defend his party members instead of running out to attack various baddies all over the place. He is trying to get back there now with the group.

An attack formation would have been helpful, and if I had kept whaling on the Shade, we could have been done with him by now. Oh well, I live and learn.

Does anyone have any input on how to make Barel better? Right now he is leaning more towards striker than controller, but that could be changed pretty easily.


Female Tiefling Warlord/Infernal Strategist 18

Edit: Oh ****. Just read Rosey's latest post for Group 2. The shade went down, and it's come back up.

And I don't think it's happy.

Barel Dlode wrote:
Tavar oracle of the Raven Queen wrote:
Next Time in battle we stay in formation and that should help out alot.

Yes, Barel also needs to keep his enthusiasm in check and actually defend his party members instead of running out to attack various baddies all over the place. He is trying to get back there now with the group.

An attack formation would have been helpful, and if I had kept whaling on the Shade, we could have been done with him by now. Oh well, I live and learn.

Does anyone have any input on how to make Barel better? Right now he is leaning more towards striker than controller, but that could be changed pretty easily.

I actually think it's a good thing that he's a defender with a heavy emphasis on striker. With only one striker, we are a little short when it comes to doing heavy damage. With two leaders, we're well equipped to keep people in the fight, so we can afford to have our defenders put a bit mroe emphasis on hitting.

Arishat wrote:
Samson Gord wrote:

I will have to keep Levana in mind then.

My direct the strike At-will allows me to give any ally within 5 squares of me a basic on any enemy within 10 squares of me...

Lead the Attack is a feat you might want to consider. It gives an ally +1 to hit any time you grant them an attack. Even silly dragonborn ones can manage it, though obviously not as well as a tiefling.

Or even the feat Lend Might. [embarassed][/embarassed]

That was of course a test. Untrained bluff check 1d20+10


Male Dragonborn Warlord/Battle Captain
Arishat wrote:
Or even the feat Lend Might.

I'm glad Rev gave us the opportunity to do a trial run on our characters. I have never been more disappointed with my feat selection. I was a little rusty with 4e so I'm going to blame it on that but for no reason should I have ever spent 3 feats on augmenting a single ability I can do once per encounter.

I think I'm going to swap Inspiring Breath and Empowered Dragon Breath out for Lend Might Impaling spear. I might drop Bolstering Breath as well in favor of some armor proficiency.
Impaling spear sounds cool, but I seem to be doing fine hitting ac. My attack bonus is a +18. I have forgotten whether that is good or not.
Any Ideas on increasing AC other than a armor proficiency feat?


Male Dragonborn Warlord/Battle Captain
Barel Dlode wrote:
Does anyone have any input on how to make Barel better? Right now he is leaning more towards striker than controller, but that could be changed pretty easily.

Looks to me like you have a little of the same issue I have in that multiple of your feats are augmenting an ability that you can only use once per encounter, granted augmenting second wind is probably better than augmenting dragons breath, still. Have you considered the crippling crush sudden roots combo? I didn't study your powers but you seem to have a major focus on hammers so it would probably work well for you. Its been a while since I've played a warder but there is also a feat combo for cold damage and one of the wardens forms is all cold...


Human

Paragon pcs built from scratch are not easy to get right.

If (as I hope) we're all in it for the long haul in Tombs, I'd much rather you had the chance to fiddle around now. I'm in favour of players having a character they can feel invested in and that's hard to do if you don't like the picks you made.


Female Wood Elf Cleric / 2

I actually love Hurl Breath on all of my dragons, the ability to blast out a small group of minions once a fight is a beauty. I am not sure if there are any ways to increase your AC without using proficiencies or shields, unless you look at situational stuff. Like OA ac, i think combat reflexes might be that one.

As an aside, really digging this Assassin, it may be my new favorite character ever, from the mechanic standpoint. It just feels good.


Human

As your hapless DM, I'm rapidly coming to loathe her :D But she's awesome to watch.


:) @}-'--- for your troubles

201 to 250 of 1,034 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post Discussion / 4e Tomb of Horrors discussion thread All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.