Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends


DM CD's Unrest in Atlus

Game Master Vethcyr


251 to 300 of 2,803 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | next > last >>

M Human Paladin 2, Ranger 6

Goblin Group:

Confirming Critical:
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20


All Players - A brief note on critical hits:
When you score a critical threat, roll to confirm it as normal. Please use the following format:
Attack Roll: X
Confirmation Roll: Y
If confirmed: effect Roll: 1d52 ⇒ 38
Damage Roll: Z
If confirmed, additional damage roll (if appropriate): AZ - Z (where A=multiplier)

Please note that in PbP games, it is customary to roll out the additional damage, rather than merely to apply the critical modifier to your initial damage roll. Also, we will use the critical hit deck, whose effects I have shared with you as a google doc entitled "Critical Hit Table." If any of you didn't get it, please email me.

To provide an example of this, let us assume that persons A & B (both with strength scores of 10) are dueling each other with +1 short swords, which are piercing weapons whose critical stats are 19-20/x2.
Person A scores a critical threat on person B, and confirms the threat with a result of 22.
Person A rolls 1d52 ⇒ 40, which corresponds to the piercing critical effect of card 40, which is called "Lodged in the bone" and deals double damage and 2 bleed.

Damage is rolled thusly:
Base damage: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5
If confirmed, additional critical damage: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3
Additional critical effects: 2 bleed, DC 20 heal check to stop

Please make these rolls any time you score a threat, as otherwise it can take some time to straighten out the effects with so many rolls.


HP: 36/36 Spells: lvl1 6/7, lvl2 5/5

Goblin Battle! :

Jamros lets out a yell at the goblin who charged him and shifts back to P3. His hair appears to be acting as if it was fire and his hands clow red hot. Flame bursts from the fingertips not holding the crossbow, creating a vortex of 5 streams of flame in a 15ft cone, hitting goblins at O5 and Q6.
Goblin O5 dmg:3d4 ⇒ (3, 4, 1) = 8
reflex save 1/2, if fails, then catches on fire for 1d4 ⇒ 2 rounds for 1HP/round
Goblin Q6 dmg:3d4 ⇒ (3, 1, 2) = 6
reflex save 1/2, if fails, then catches on fire for 1d4 ⇒ 1 rounds for 1HP/round
Also, I can't find the critical hit deck.


Goblin Group:
Martin confirmed his longsword swing, so critical card roll: 1d52 ⇒ 52
Additional critical damage: 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12
Additional critical effect: 1 Con bleed
Martin's blow strikes deep into the goblin's gut, but despite the horrific blow inflicted on him, the goblin still stands.
The smaller goblin neatly dodges Martin's shield slam, however.

Jamros's blast strikes the goblins in O5 and Q6, and while the one in O5 manages to escape the worst of the blast, both are badly burned. The one in Q6 ignites, to boot.

The first of Gareth's arrows goes wide, burying itself harmlessly in a tree branch. The second strikes the goblin in K2 high in the chest, although the goblin does not fall.

The goblins in K2 and L3 run to K0 and M0 (respectively) and swing their blades at the dangerous archer. The injured goblin returns the favor, slashing Gareth across the chest (7 damage), while his uninjured ally's blow glances off of Gareth's armor. Gareth does not get an attack of opportunity against either goblin, as he is wielding a ranged weapon that does not threaten adjacent squares.

Still burning, the goblin in Q6 screams in fury and charges Jamros (ends in Q4), swinging his blade at the halfling. His blow falls short, however. Happily for him, the fires burn out as suddenly as they ignited. The other burned goblin steps up from O5 to O4 and swings at Jamros as well, and just as before, the blow fails to connect with the lucky halfling.

Gasping from Martin's blow, the lead goblin shouts to his allies "Körülvesz neki! Állítsuk meg neki!" He seems to recover for a moment and stumbles to O8 to take a two-handed swing at the powerful warrior. His swing sneaks past Martin's guard and leaves a long gash on Martin's leg, opening an artery (confirmed critical - "long gash" result, 12 damage and 8 bleed, DC 15 heal check as standard action to halve bleed, or magical healing to end it).

In response, his allies attempt to surround Martin - the goblin in P9 attempt to tumble to N7, but his movement is clumsy and leaves him vulnerable (Martin may take an attack of opportunity against him - as this may well kill him, I will wait to roll his attack on Martin until we learn whether the goblin survives). His compatriot is able to move safely from Q9 to P7, where he too takes a swing at Martin but misses.

Round 3!

Map


Goblin Group - Goblin:
"Surround him! Bring him down!"

DM Rolls:

O5 Reflex Save: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24
Q6 Reflex Save: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9
K0 Attack vs Gareth: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23
K0 Damage to Gareth: 1d4 + 1d6 ⇒ (4) + (3) = 7
M0 Attack vs Gareth: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19
Q4 Attack vs Jamros: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12
O4 Attack vs Jamros: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9
O8 Two-handed power attack vs Martin: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 26
O8 Confirmation roll vs Martin: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23
O8 Critical effect roll: 1d52 ⇒ 15
O8 Damage vs Martin: 1d8 + 9 ⇒ (3) + 9 = 12
P9 - N7 Tumble check: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 9
P7 Attack vs Martin: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10


HP: 36/36 Spells: lvl1 6/7, lvl2 5/5
DM CD wrote:
** spoiler omitted **...

Goblin Group:
Jamros winces as Martin gets hit."Ouch! I can heal you if you get over here Martin."

I'll post as soon as Martin figures out what he is going to do.


HP: 33/45, Smite: 2/2, LoH: 3/6

Goblin Group:

Gareth grimaces with the pain of his new chest wound, but notices Martin suffer a terrible wound across the battlefield. With the goblins surrounding him, Gareth recognizes that he is in a bad spot...

A few sets of circumstances depending on what other people do in their turn.

If the leader goblin is still up on Gareth's turn:
...but Martin is in even worse of one. He narrows his eyes on the goblin guide.

Gareth heals himself as a swift action via lay on hands:
2d6 ⇒ (2, 6) = 8
He then moves to L4, provoking 2 attacks of opportunity, and takes a shot at the leader goblin:
Attack:1d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27
If hits, damage:1d8 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7

Otherwise
...and that he won't be able to get off any more shots easily against the two pesky goblins that are flanking him.

Gareth quickly tosses his bow aside and draws his greatsword. He takes a big swing at the injured goblin.
To Hit:1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11
If hits, damage:2d6 + 3 ⇒ (6, 4) + 3 = 13


HP 42/43

Vista:
Well, it's late, but night has always been an assassin's friend. Let's get up to the vista and set the charges before morning, and we can sleep when the Goldcrestians and the Goblins have torn each other to pieces.


Female Human Sorceror (Sage) 3

Vista Group:

Eleri pulls up aside Pygrado, awake and alert despite the hour.
"It's quite odd, really. I have a reasonably sized apartment in town, equipped with a nice featherbed, but I often struggle to fall asleep, then wake up groggy and wanting some strong tea. But put me on a swaybacked horse while we ride through mountain trails on a dangerous mission, and apparently I nap for a few hours and awake refreshed."
She gazes upward, trying to keep track of the vista in the darkness.
"Hopefully the other group has managed to round up the goblins. Well, if we're to be prepared on our end, I suppose there's nothing to do but forge onwards and pray our horses don't stumble and break a leg."


HP: 36/36 Spells: lvl1 6/7, lvl2 5/5
Gareth Aldridge wrote:
** spoiler omitted **

What is the critical range on that bow, Gareth? You did roll a 19...


HP: 33/45, Smite: 2/2, LoH: 3/6

Sadly, it crits only on 20's.

I'm posting now to say that I'm flying home in a few hours from Omaha to Seattle, meaning that when this round finishes I won't be able to post until later tonight.


We'll have to wait until Martin and Jamros post their actions to resolve this round. I wonder if we'll keep trading criticals like this.

Vista Group - I'll post an update once I'm back at my computer, I'm updating this from my phone because I'm at the beach today.


M Human Paladin 2, Ranger 6

Goblin Group:

8 bleed damage? WOW!
Martin reeling from the blow takes a 5ft step back to N6, but still has the presence of mind to strike at the tumbling goblin.
I know this isn't in the right order, but is more thematic:
Atk: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20
DMG: 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10

Coughing up a bit of blood as he says the command word, Martin activates his belt of healing for two charges.
3d8 ⇒ (3, 3, 6) = 12


Goblin Group:
Yeah, that is the highest bleed of all critical hits in the deck, I believe. It otherwise deals normal damage.

The tumbling goblin falls dead after martin drives his sword into its neck.

Martin, you stop bleeding.

Just waiting on Jamros now.


Vista Group:
I need to know if and how you are approaching the vista itself. The approach is uphill and while there are plants and rocky outcroppings along it, they are few and far between. From what you can see of the vista itself, it appears to have a number of shrubs and boulders around it, but it is too dark out for you to see much detail. A marching order would be nice to have, as well.


HP 42/43

Vista Group:
Well, given that it's night and that we haven't seen any sign of scouts or outriders, we'll probably make for the top of the vista by the shortest route the horses can safely accomplish. Our plan should be to set the charges by cover of darkness and then conceal ourselves before sunrise. For a marching order, I'd suggest a single file line with 5 feet between the back of one horse and the nose of the next, Py then Eli then Cal.


HP: 36/36 Spells: lvl1 6/7, lvl2 5/5

Goblin Group:
Jamros ducks and swerves to avoid being attacked as he moves to N3 (acrobatics: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (3) + 10 = 13) and does a pretty poor job. From there, he thrusts his still glowing fingers toward the goblins catching Q4 and O4 in the flames, just missing Martin. The flames shoot from his fingers and the vortex burns them:
Goblin Q4 dmg:3d4 ⇒ (1, 1, 1) = 3
reflex 1/2 dmg, on fail, 1d4 ⇒ 4 rounds for 1HP/round
Goblin O4 dmg:3d4 ⇒ (4, 3, 4) = 11
reflex 1/2 dmg, on fail, 1d4 ⇒ 1 rounds for 1HP/round


EDIT: Oh come on! 3d4 = 3. Thank you random number god.


Goblin Group:
Martin stumbles backward from the lead goblin's blow, recovering long enough to slay the goblin that tried to maneuver around him and to activate his healing belt, which staunches his bleeding and closes his wounds.

Jamros successfully dodges away from the goblins, and manages to fry both with another blast of flame (not even rolling saves for them - the damage would kill them even if they were to succeed).

Gareth's movement leaves him vulnerable to the goblins flanking him, and both swing their blades at him. Neither is able to land a blow on the nimble archer, however, and his arrow flies true, striking the lead goblin full in the chest. Already severely injured, the goblin falls over with a gurgle.

The goblins in K0 and M0 pursue Gareth to K3 and M3 (respectively), attempting to charge down their quarry while avoiding the deadly halfling to the south. Both swing at him, but their track record of inaccuracy grows yet longer as neither blow connects with its target.

Meanwhile, the goblin in P7 steps to O6 and attempts to press the attack on Martin. While his attack easily bypasses Martin's guard, the goblin is not strong enough to inflict much damage (2 damage to Martin, critical not confirmed).

Begin Round 4!

Map


DM Rolls:
K0 opportunity attack vs Gareth: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (15) + 4 = 19
M0 opportunity attack vs Gareth: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8
K3 charge attack vs Gareth: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15
M3 charge attack vs Gareth: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9
O6 attack vs Martin: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24
O6 confirmation roll vs Martin: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6
O6 damage vs Martin: 1d4 ⇒ 2


HP: 36/36 Spells: lvl1 6/7, lvl2 5/5
DM CD wrote:

** spoiler omitted **

** spoiler omitted **

Goblin Group:

DM, I moved to N3 so my cone of flame would hit both goblins. If the goblin's moves stand, then M3 moved out of M2, which I threaten with a melee touch attack I happen to have. If you want to change his action, that is fine, but if not, I'll attack him.
As the goblin rushes by him to attack his ally, Jamros' hand becomes engulfed in flame and he reaches out to touch the charging goblin.
to hit: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 3 = 20
damage: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5

If the goblin at M3 still stands, then...
Jamros then shifts to N4 and yet another vortex of flame flies from the halfling's fiery fingers. Aoe hits both goblins, misses Gareth. :)
Goblin K3 dmg:3d4 ⇒ (2, 4, 1) = 7
reflex 1/2 dmg, on fail, 1d4 ⇒ 2
Goblin M3 dmg:3d4 ⇒ (1, 2, 3) = 6
reflex 1/2 dmg, on fail, 1d4 ⇒ 1

As the vortex dies down, leaving slightly crispier goblins, Jamros makes a motion as if to blow his fingers out, and they stop glowing.

Otherwise...
Jamros levels his crowbow at the goblin at K3 and fires.
to hit: 1d20 + 6 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 6 + 1 = 10
damage: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3

He then reloads.


Jamros Milltell wrote:
DM CD wrote:

** spoiler omitted **

** spoiler omitted **
** spoiler omitted **

Goblin Group - IMPORTANT UPDATE: Please read!:
Sorry Jamros, I missed your movement.

Jamros's attack of opportunity connects, severely burning but not killing the goblin.

Updated Map


HP: 33/45, Smite: 2/2, LoH: 3/6

Goblin Group:

Looks like things are wrapping up over here

If goblins are still alive on my turn
Gareth takes a step back to L5(if necessary to avoid AoO's)
And fires up to two shots at the remaining goblin(s)
(I'm preferentially targeting K3>M3>O6)

First arrow to hit:1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24
First arrow damage:1d8 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4
Second arrow to hit:1d20 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13
Second arrow damage:1d8 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9

If goblins are dead
Gareth approaches Martin, "Martin, come here. Are you alright?", and gives him a soothing touch. "There you go, all better now."

Lay on hands:(3/5 uses remaining)
2d6 ⇒ (6, 5) = 11

And if this is the case, I'll do more role playing on top of that.


M Human Paladin 2, Ranger 6

Goblin Group:

With Martin's newly regained strength, he 5ft shifts to N5 and takes a full round attack against the gobo in front of his.

Atk Rolls:
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24

Dmg:
1d8 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12
1d6 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6

Also, Jamros idk if you had to cast a touch spell or ability to get the flames, but you can't take attacks of opportunities with touch spells unless you already had them cast prior to the AoO. IDK if this is the case, but the way u described it, it sounded like you started the spell right then.

Edit: I took a peek at your character sheet Jamros (Hope you don't mind, I didn't look too closely). If it's touch of flame, that is a standard action to activate, so it can't be used on attacks of opportunity.


HP: 36/36 Spells: lvl1 6/7, lvl2 5/5
Martin Stillwaters wrote:
** spoiler omitted **

Goblin Group:

[ooc]It is touch of flame, but it says that it is a "a melee touch attack" and it is a supernatural ability, not a spell like ability. I think that means I can make the aoo since it isn't a spell or spell like ability, but if I can't, that is fine. I'll still make my 5ft step and use my same flame spell as described above. Up to you CD.


Female Human Sorceror (Sage) 3

Vista Group:

I'll back up Pygrado's suggestion on the marching order and whatnot. If we encounter some terrain that looks difficult for the horses I suppose we'll dismount and lead them along on foot.

Eleri peers into the darkness, trying to discern the best path up to the vista.
"This would all be much easier if I brought out my torch, but I imagine that would reveal our presence to any enemy within several miles. Better to climb slowly through the darkness, as much as we're able."


HP: 36/36 Spells: lvl1 6/7, lvl2 5/5

Goblin Group:
I also forgot to note that normal attacks are also as standard action, so it seems like the reason touch of flame is a standard action is not to prevent it from being used as a aoo, but instead to not give a powerful attack in addition to other attacks. But again, I'm pretty new at this and I'm fine either way, so whatever you decide CD.


M Human Paladin 2, Ranger 6

Goblin Group:

I think rules as written you can't do it, but firstly it seems flavorful that you could, and it doesn't seem particularly game breaking. Secondly, if it's allowed on AoO it actually gives you a reason to use it at higher levels when your just going to cast spells every turn. So I would probably allow it, but it needs a DM ruling.


Male Human Rogue [Investigator] 1/Dragonfire Adept 3

Boo. I'm back, at least for a while.

The Vista:
Caladrius sees that Eleri and Pygrado are clearly blundering around in the dark and brushes past them to survey the vista. Hang on, I can scout this out. Mere darkness is no obstacle to me. Rope, Darkvsion, good thing that I seem to have everything we need.

I have both darkvision and low-light vision, whichever is more useful outdoors at night, what do I see?


Goblin Group:
I'm inclined to allow it, with the following restrictions: you may use supernatural (Su) abilities to make opportunity attacks in this manner, but you may not use spells or spell-like abilities to do this without casting them beforehand and discharging them via the opportunity attack. Supernatural abilities like Touch of Flames are much less game-breaking than, say, Shivering Touch.

Martin takes off the goblin's head in one swing of his sword, while his shield bash launches it 30', causing the head to splatter on impact.

Jamros's blast of flame engulfs both goblins, burning them to death instantly (not even rolling saves - they're dead no matter what). Their corpses ignite. Unfortunately, so does the tree.

Gareth, denied the opportunity to kill any more goblins, moves to heal Martin's wounds.

Thus ends the battle and begins the possible forest fire!

Map

On the bodies of the goblins, you find:
- Masterwork Small Hide Armor (Value: 165 Gold)
- +1 Longsword (medium - Value: 2315 Gold)
- Potion of Cure Moderate Wounds (CL 3 - Value: 300 Gold)
- A crystal and carved-darkwood necklace (Art Object - 500 Gold)


Vista Group:
It is a clear, starry night, and with Caladrius scouting, you are able to make your way up to the vista without undue difficulty. Once you reach the final plateau, you see a large outcropping of rock and shrubs ahead of you.

Vista Group - Perception DC 17 (21 sans low-light vision):
Stealth: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (6) + 11 = 17
Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24
Hidden in the bushes and behind the boulders 30' ahead are a number of sentries, and they are readying their weapons!
Success here will allow you to act in the surprise round.

Caladrius:
I was doing some checking up on peoples' stats, and I noticed you took a 24-pt buy. Please recalculate your stats to be in line with the 20-pt buy we're using in this game.

Eleri:
I was doing some checking up on peoples' stats, and I noticed you took a 22-pt buy. Please recalculate your stats to be in line with the 20-pt buy we're using in this game.


HP: 36/36 Spells: lvl1 6/7, lvl2 5/5

Goblin Group:
Now I'm really curious. I haven't been able to find anything in the pathfinder books on what attacks are allowed for an aoo, but I did find this online:
d20SRD wrote:


"Armed" Unarmed Attacks:
Sometimes a character’s or creature’s unarmed attack counts as an armed attack. A monk, a character with the Improved Unarmed Strike feat, a spellcaster delivering a touch attack spell, and a creature with natural physical weapons all count as being armed.
Note that being armed counts for both offense and defense (the character can make attacks of opportunity)

Sourse Site

I think any rule-book resolution would have to turn to D&D 3.5 handbook. Thanks for pointing this out JZ, I've been curious about this before and I've always had a hard time figuring it out.

Just saw your last update CD, Thanks for the ruling.

Jamros moves to put out as much of the fire as he can as a full round action (as per the spell description).


HP: 33/45, Smite: 2/2, LoH: 3/6

Goblin Group:

Gareth eyes the tree set ablaze and turns to Jamros, "Where did that come from?". He quickly realizes that the remaining horses are still tied to it, "Sh*t. The horses! Help me untie them!"

He starts to untie Petey from the spreading flames.

Do I need a roll for this, or do I just assume that I can untie the rope quickly enough?


HP 42/43

Perception 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22

Vista (Made the DC):
I draw my swords (Quick Draw) and drop silently into a defensive posture.

Also, can we get a map?


Vista Group - If you make the perception check, read this:
Roll Initiative!

Map


HP 42/43

Vista; Made the DC:
Initiative 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 18
Also, what is the object in -C16:-B19? I mean, it's a boulder, but how high?


HP: 36/36 Spells: lvl1 6/7, lvl2 5/5

Goblin Group:
After spending one round trying to put out the tree, he stops and a grin spreads over his face. He then immediately unties his pony. "Let's let the goblins take care of this fire, shall we? We have already wasted 30 seconds of our time, let's not keep wasting it!" He lets out a high laugh and then, attempting to subdue a grin, he says to Gareth "Where did what come from?" After freeing the and mounting the pony, he says "I guess you will both have to ride the remaining horse. I doubt he will have any trouble keeping up with my pony, even with both of you riding him. If you need him to, I suppose that my pony could handle some of your gear in one of his saddle bags. Martin, would you mind grabbing the goods off the goblins? At the first convenient opportunity, Jamros Detects Magic at the longsword.

I suppose we will be keeping the cure moderate wounds. Will one of you want that sword? The sword costs (2315/2)*(2/3)=772 to the other two of us, whoever wants it or we can sell it for 1157.5 to party gold.


HP: 33/45, Smite: 2/2, LoH: 3/6

Goblin Group:

I don't need the sword. This is a clear upgrade for Martin, so if he wants it then awesome, if not, sharing the gold among the 3 of us sounds good to me.

Gareth ignores Jamros, not wanting to give him any more credit or recognition. He instead turns to Martin,
"Looks like we're gonna get cozy here on Petey. He's a good horse. Maybe a little fiesty to newcomers, but he'll come around if you treat him alright. This one time..."
Gareth stops mid sentence, pointing at the necklace that Martin is holding.
"What's that? That's a cool looking necklace. I'll bet it's magical too."


M Human Paladin 2, Ranger 6

Goblin Group:

Ya, the sword would be really good on me. Also, I'm not wearing a necklace. If your wondering what gave me the healing, it's my belt.

"I'll take the chief's blade as a token of our victory, you gentleman can have the rest of the spoils. I think the blade will look good on my mantel, and it might even be sharp too. As for my belt, it's a healers belt. I picked it up off a Goldencrest trader before the war had escalated to this scale. It can gives some good healing in a pinch.

Edit: I dont have the gold to give the rest of u right now, but Next drop I can chip in some more


HP: 33/45, Smite: 2/2, LoH: 3/6
Martin Stillwaters wrote:
** spoiler omitted **

Goblin Group:

"Oh no, I was talking about that necklace on the Goblin's body. It seems rather interesting to me. I'd be interested in seeing what kind of magical properties it may have.

But now that you mention it, that belt is rather intriguing as well. It helped seal up that nasty wound real quick... But what were you doing with Goldcrest traders? Sleeping with the enemy, huh? Nah, I'm kidding. Oh, and you're welcome to keep the sword for now, and we'll figure out how much it's worth later.

Anyways, let's get the hell out of here. The barghest said they'd be hunting us in an hour, and I'm sure the fire and the battle will attract more goblins in no time. Martin, do you know which way the Vista is?"


M Human Paladin 2, Ranger 6

Goblin Group:

"The real question is what do we do now? Clearly we're not getting the goblins to work with us. Do we head back, hoping that those who went to the vista took care of things? Or do we try and lure the rest of the goblin tribe into fighting the army?"


HP: 33/45, Smite: 2/2, LoH: 3/6

Goblin Group:

Gareth checks his hourglass.

DM, How much time is left until our expected meetup time?/What time is it now?

He then looks at the tree, still ablaze. "Martin, didn't you mention something about forest fires? Cause it's looking to me like this fire isn't gonna stop anytime soon. Do you think there's any chance of it reaching the gorge by sunrise?

As for the goblins, I reckon we don't have a choice whether or not they'll chase us. In either case, we can't afford to lose any more horses so I wouldn't want to take many chances by trying to start a fight."


Goblin Group:
Your hourglasses will empty at 1 PM tomorrow. It is about 7 PM right now, but you never agreed on a time to meet at. All the information I have is "meet up sometime tomorrow!"

You can reach the vista in 8 hours if you ride hard through the forest, or in 12 hours if you ride hard around. You will need to rest, rejuvenate with magic, or replace your horses to make either ride without forced march checks, especially if you are doubling up.

The fire catches in the dry tree too quickly for you to put it out, and the tree is consumed by fire in short order. The burning ashes and flying embers quickly spread the flames to nearby trees. You are able to safely collect the loot and free your horses, however. Where do you plan to go?


Goblin Group Knowledge: Nature OR Survival DC 15:
A major forest fire is imminent (see DM Rolls spoiler for details). Get moving. FAST.

Due to the proximity of the fires, it will be more hazardous initially to try and go around the forest, but moving quickly through the forest might let you outrun the flames. Also, everything else in the forest will be trying to get out, so there might be a number of dangerous creatures outside the conflagration. If you go too slowly, going through the forest might be very dangerous, however.

Yes, you can roll for both checks if you have the requisite training.

DM Rolls:
Dryness: 1d100 + 15 ⇒ (63) + 15 = 78
Wind Strength: 1d100 ⇒ 97
Wind Direction (clockwise starting at North): 1d4 ⇒ 2
My uncle is a retired fire chief. I asked him about the important variables in a forest fire - these are the big ones, and apparently general wind direction is more important than specific because the main factor is availability of kindling, so I'm rolling NESW. Kindling isn't an issue, as the area is heavily forested, and I rolled dryness to see how easily it would burn, weighted for autumn conditions. The Vista and gorge are to the northeast, so a northern or eastern wind will produce effective results.


M Human Paladin 2, Ranger 6

Knowledge Nature: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 2 = 20
Survival:1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16


HP: 33/45, Smite: 2/2, LoH: 3/6

Survival:1d20 - 2 ⇒ (19) - 2 = 17

LOLOLOLOLOLOL I did not expect to make that check


HP: 33/45, Smite: 2/2, LoH: 3/6

Gobbies:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we left at 1 pm and now it is 7 pm. We've been negotiating/fighting for probably under an hour, so that gives us 3 hours max left of travel before forced march. We also have 16 hours before our "planned" meetup time, giving us 8 hours of travel until this time if we want a full night's rest.

As the group plans their next step, Gareth notices the fire continue to exponentially spread to other nearby trees.

"Look, friends. This fire is going to be HUGE. It's been a pretty dry season lately, and do you feel the strong wind pointing towards the forest that leads to the Vista? If we don't get out of here now, we're gonna burn up. Start riding, and we can discuss how long we want to ride and if we think we can make it through the forest before it becomes an inferno. Martin, hop on!"

He motions for Martin to saddle up behind him on his horse.


M Human Paladin 2, Ranger 6

Goblin Guys:

Martin also looks concerned about the fire spreading through the trees. Walking over and unstrapping his belongings from the fallen horse's saddle bags, Martin says,"Dammit, your right. Hey, just because we're sharing a horse, don't think this means that I owe you one. Jamros, grab your pony, let's go."

Martin pauses for a moment and says, "On the upside we may have just found our way to stop the Goldencrest army" before walking over to join Gareth on his horse.


HP: 36/36 Spells: lvl1 6/7, lvl2 5/5

Gobgobs:
survival: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 1 = 12
"Which way do we go? Through the forest or around? I'll follow."
Don't worry about the gold now Martin, we won't be able to use it any time soon. :)

DM:
I cast detect magic at the sword, did I see an aura? Also, I'd like to detect magic at the necklace and try to fool Gareth into thinking that it is magical if it isn't. So give me the results of those checks in a spoiler please. :P


Goblin Group:
Which way do you want to go?

Jamros:
The sword detects as having a faint aura, and the necklace does not have any aura. If you want more information (spell school of aura, etc), you need to roll Kn: Arcana and/or Spellcraft (to know what specific spells were used to craft an item).


HP: 36/36 Spells: lvl1 6/7, lvl2 5/5
DM CD wrote:

** spoiler omitted **

** spoiler omitted **

DM:
If I have 5 rounds or so of time to examine the sword while Martin is getting his things off of the horse, I'll get out my wand of identify to make a spellcraft check: 1d20 + 7 + 10 ⇒ (5) + 7 + 10 = 22 to identify the sword. If I don't, then I'll do it later. I will also pretend to do the same thing with the necklace, but I won't actually use a charge of the wand on the necklace.

Jamros:
The sword appears to be merely a +1 longsword, created via the Magic Weapon spell.

Also, I need you to roll a bluff check if you want to go with that plan and to set up a sense motive spoiler with DC equal to the result of your bluff check. In it, you need to describe that you want to appear to check the necklace for magical effects, but that you aren't really examining it. You are, after all, attempting to deceive your fellow party members. There are no circumstance bonuses associated with your bluff check or their sense motive checks.


HP: 33/45, Smite: 2/2, LoH: 3/6

Goblin Group:

Gareth mutters under his breath, "I never said that you owed me anything, just wanted to help."

"We need to warn the others about the fire. I don't want any harm to come to them because of this change of events. I think we need to ride through the forest ahead of the flame. If we can get a good headstart, maybe we can take some time to rest before the flames catch up to us so our horses don't tire out."


Male Human Rogue [Investigator] 1/Dragonfire Adept 3

Perception:1d20 + 10 ⇒ (19) + 10 = 29

The Vista:
Caladrius has dismounted to scout the vista, and suddenly stops short in his approach. He turns and whispers to Pygrado, who also seems to be reacting. Can you take the one on the left? (stage left looking at the map) We can't let them warn the rest of the army.

Made Perception:
Initiative:1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18
I'll be back later to take my surprise round action.


HP: 36/36 Spells: lvl1 6/7, lvl2 5/5

Goblin Group:
When gathering the loot, Jamros takes out an oak wand, 10in. and waves it at the sword and necklace while examining them, muttering under his breath. "Hmmm, very interesting," he says to himself. He then gives the sword back to Martin and puts tosses the necklace to Gareth. "You should keep that with you Gareth. You might find it useful the next time you try to... erm... charm a lady, if you know what I mean." He winks at Gareth. "And Martin, the sword will serve you well. It will help you connect and deal damage, but nothing else, I'm afraid."
MB, for flavor reasons, you should fail this check. Consider it a penalty for your character wanting to believe what Jamros is selling? Up to you though. :)

Sense motive DC 14:

Bluff Check:1d20 + 3 ⇒ (11) + 3 = 14
Jamros only appears to be using the wand on the necklace. There is in fact, nothing magical about it.


HP: 33/45, Smite: 2/2, LoH: 3/6

Goblin Group:

Flavor or not, I think it only makes sense that I have a chance to roll a sense motive. So here's what I'm doing.

I'm giving myself a DC 19 sense motive:
14 for your base bluff
+5 to your bluff because I want to believe you.
+0 because the lie is believable
Is that fair to you? This gives me a 30% chance of figuring it out with my +4 sense motive.

Sense motive on Jamros:1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24

Yeah, that's a nat 20. Sorry JamJam

Gareth eyes the necklace and says, "Yeah, Jamros, that is a pretty necklace, and I'm sure that most ladies would like it. And I'd be happy to hang onto it. How much do you guys think it's worth?"

DM Only:

So I know you said the necklace was worth 500 but I'll make an untrained appraisal check to see how much I think I could get for it.

I do know that it's not magical, but Jamros only merely implied that it was charming around ladies, so I don't think he was trying to deceive me.

If they offer me a good price based on my idea of the appraisal, I'll take it from them
1d20 ⇒ 18

If you just don't want to deal with appraisals in this game, let me know and I'll deal with this situation in some other way.

251 to 300 of 2,803 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM CD's Unrest in Atlus All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.