Pathfinder Gamer Reality Show


Television

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

I was watching the show King of the Nerds.

Kinda good but there are so many ideas I have that would be so much better.

A gamer and GM reality show.

Imagine a group of around 21 or so gamers all put in a house just like a normal reality show BUT the twist is they are gamers.

Each team would have six players. There would be 3 teams or more each season.

There would also be three GMs who must be impartial and have to switch parties each week. Each GM would be controlled by an XP budget.

The host (Me! me! me! I will do it!) would be lead GM. He would direct the three or more team GMs.

PATHFINDER would be the preferred system as it can do everything one needs.

The show would in a fashion of performance art show them playing the game AND the interactions between the people and the players with really detailed minis and HUGE dioramas.

OR

Have them acting out the game in real life as in Gamers the Movie

OR

Have a very cool anime telling of the game.

A combination of all three!

Everyone would start out at level 1.

ONLY if your character died would you have to leave the show.

A very somber RP IC funeral would occur each time.

In a shared setting the GMs and parties could compete against each other.

Players would be allowed to betray their party and join another.

The winning GM would win a prize as well as the team AND the player with the most XP.

Each GM would have an XP budget so no none could cheat.

The interactions between the players, the story in the game, the competition itself would be a very interesting show to watch in my mind.

There could be times where the parties could come together and character death would be a real issue.

This show would cost very little to produce.

The GMs and the players would love to play in something like this.

It would be a very positive light on Tabletop RPGs.

What do you think?

IF you like this idea then share it on facebook and other social media.

I would love to see a show like this but I would really love to HOST a show like this.


Sounds amusing.

Grand Lodge

I could see this as a podcast or an event at a gaming store.

Liberty's Edge

Hmm a Podcast. Not a bad idea to get it started.

Liberty's Edge

Strange I thought people would really respond to this topic more.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Eldrad wrote:
Strange I thought people would really respond to this topic more.

That's because your idea isn't nearly as appealing to watch as you think it is. The last thing I want associated with a hobby I use for escapism are reminders of what I look like engaging in my hobby.

Grand Lodge

Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
LazarX wrote:
Eldrad wrote:
Strange I thought people would really respond to this topic more.
That's because your idea isn't nearly as appealing to watch as you think it is. The last thing I want associated with a hobby I use for escapism are reminders of what I look like engaging in my hobby.

Back when I was an ENnies judge in 2010 & 2011, I had to listen to a ridiculous number of podcasts, "live play" sessions (some as long as 6 hours!), and a handful of videos. I think in 2011, it ended up totally over 160 hours of audio.

It was torturous. I can't communicate in words how I came to loathe the podcasts.

One of my players records our game sessions so he can write detailed, in-character summaries for our group. I know we sound incredibly dorky because I've heard the audio. There's often no sense of context (then again, that isn't one of our goals). If I (the GM of the group that's been gaming for nearly 30 years) think we sound excruciatingly dorky, I can't imagine what the average viewer (with no context or insight) could follow any of it, or would even want to.

Sorry.

-Skeld


I'm with LazarX and Skeld on this one. I record all my gaming sessions as long as the players don't object, but it is for my own reference only as I'm aware of just how boring most of it is. I only do it so I can listen back and see if there's anything I can work into later sessions.


Eldrad wrote:
PATHFINDER would be the preferred system as it can do everything one needs.

No, it can't. I have a laundry list of things I check for in a system to see how good it is (the more weird things it can do, the better it is), and Pathfinder cannot do a great many things.

Its a good system, but its not perfect.

Closest thing I've found to a system that can build virtually everything on my list while still being reasonably playable was Mutants & Masterminds 2e. You wanna play Goku, Mr. Spock, Wolverine, and Legolis all in one group and have them all be not only balanced against each other, but all actively capable of contributing to every single game? M&M2e can do it.

Pathfinder can't even roll up something as seemingly simple as an airbender.


do you need a cast member who would just drink gin out of plastic jug on the porch with no shirt on most of the time

some of the rest of the time would be spent throwing old electronics off the roof

the rest would be sleeping or occasionally rolling dice

RPG Superstar Season 9 Top 16

Consider Acquisitions Inc.

That can be amusing to watch. But a reality show needs eliminations to keep things lively, and you can't really have a team game like RPGs that also have you hoping for someone else on your team to die.

Now...if this was Paranoia...


Acquisitions Inc is entertaining because of who it involves. The vast majority of us don't have the same kind of fascination factor. Plus, it's entertaining to a niche market, I can't see there being sufficient interest to turn it into a full show.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Edymnion wrote:
Eldrad wrote:
PATHFINDER would be the preferred system as it can do everything one needs.

No, it can't. I have a laundry list of things I check for in a system to see how good it is (the more weird things it can do, the better it is), and Pathfinder cannot do a great many things.

Its a good system, but its not perfect.

Closest thing I've found to a system that can build virtually everything on my list while still being reasonably playable was Mutants & Masterminds 2e. You wanna play Goku, Mr. Spock, Wolverine, and Legolis all in one group and have them all be not only balanced against each other, but all actively capable of contributing to every single game? M&M2e can do it.

Pathfinder can't even roll up something as seemingly simple as an airbender.

Actually, we did. go dig up the Elemental Monk thread some time back. There's even a Herolab file for it somewhere.

Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Entertainment / Television / Pathfinder Gamer Reality Show All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in Television