nasa observer


Off-Topic Discussions

The Exchange

With the political wedge driven between nasa and the Russian space program in what could have evolved into a merged space agency, nasa is now at the mercy of an immature private sector.

boom


I heard on the radio that the first stage was Russian built.


.

The Space Industry needs to become the domain of private industry.
To guarantee continued advancement on our path toward becoming
a multi-planet species, we need most of the space industry running
on the rails of the greatest engine of creation ever know -- that being Capitalism.

Nasa is a bloated governement agency too often curtailed by a bunch of old guys
deciding they don't want to work hard, and instead going out to enjoy the day at
the California coast.

Is private space industry young, at the moment. Yes. That's why we need to get
started now, before it's too late !!

.


A merged space agency between the US and Russia!?! NASA at the mercy of private sector...

You published your thread too early Yellowdingo, it's not yet April 1st...

The Exchange

Angstspawn wrote:

A merged space agency between the US and Russia!?! NASA at the mercy of private sector...

You published your thread too early Yellowdingo, it's not yet April 1st...

I have a dream. It entails a global space agency.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Vod Canockers wrote:
I heard on the radio that the first stage was Russian built.

And the radio as usual got it wrong. The first stage was being powered by refurbished soviet engines that had been built in the '60's for the ill-fated NR-1 program to send cosmonauts to the moon. Not based on the design, actually built over 50 years ago. The rest of the first stage was built in Virginia.

However at this time, it is NOT known if the engines played any part in the destruction of the rocket.

President, Jon Brazer Enterprises

yellowdingo wrote:
I have a dream. It entails a global space agency.

Not going to happen. The 60's space race started off as a way of demonstrating that our rockets could hit Russia and theirs could hit us, without actually doing so. To this day, many of the companies that build parts for NASA (and private space corporations) are also defense contractors, again using parts, designs, and software that is primarily intendeded for military applications. The same basic guidance systems used to control the various crafts are also used to pinpoint where missiles hit.

If we had a global space agency, that would mean that the US could possibly leak similar information to hostile nations or even our allies that would use such technology to suprress their own people. No, best to keep such technology away from governments that make ours look like fluffy kittens.

President, Jon Brazer Enterprises

Grand Magus wrote:
Nasa is a bloated governement agency too often curtailed by a bunch of old guys deciding they don't want to work hard, and instead going out to enjoy the day at the California coast.

Actually, NASA is relatively efficient for a government agency (not saying they are perfect, just better than the DMV, etc). Their single biggest problems are being constantly underfunded and suffering from an ever-changing goal. Every President since Reagan has directed NASA to pursue some goal, which was not the goal of the previous administration nor the administration before that. When you work on a 15 year project and you have to effectively scrap it every 4/8 years, it is hard to get something solid accomplished.

The private sector is good for long term space development if for no other reason that they can keep their eye on the goal past the next election cycle.


Dale McCoy Jr wrote:
Grand Magus wrote:
Nasa is a bloated governement agency too often curtailed by a bunch of old guys deciding they don't want to work hard, and instead going out to enjoy the day at the California coast.

Actually, NASA is relatively efficient for a government agency (not saying they are perfect, just better than the DMV, etc). Their single biggest problems are being constantly underfunded and suffering from an ever-changing goal. Every President since Reagan has directed NASA to pursue some goal, which was not the goal of the previous administration nor the administration before that. When you work on a 15 year project and you have to effectively scrap it every 4/8 years, it is hard to get something solid accomplished.

The private sector is good for long term space development if for no other reason that they can keep their eye on the goal past the next election cycle.

.

You've made my point.

.

The Exchange

virgin galactic go boom!

Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / nasa observer All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.