Hi, all -
I'm seriously considering creating a Pathfinder Society themed blog and thought I would lay it out here in case folks wanted to comment on some aspect of it.
The background and idea
I have played Pathfinder for several years, and have GMed home games for nearly that entire time, and I have been involved in PFS for about half a year. Next week I will GM my first PFS game at a nearby comic store, which will be monthly. Once Paizo Game Space happens, I hope to get a little more PFS GMing/playing in as well.
I have a few ideas currently for the blog:
- For GMs: Discuss my GMing experiences in PFS, such as what worked and didn't with particular scenarios, things I've picked up from other GMs on running successful games, and resources I've run across.
- For everyone: Highlight any Paizo products that I've purchased that I think would be helpful for the PFS player. Discuss Pathfinder Tales that I'm reading/have read that might be of particular interest to PFS players (e.g., ones that highlight the society's activities, or feature agents such as Count Varian Jeggare). Other tips about strategies for character options, for the roleplaying aspect of it, pros and cons of different ways of playing PFS (e.g., in person vs. play-by-post vs. VTT).
- Perhaps also interviews with GMs and players about their experiences and lessons learned.
I'm sure that I'm missing ideas I have had but those would give you an idea of it. What else would people like to see?
Are there other blogs already out there?
Of course there's the Paizo blog with it's regular PFS entries. I know of Private Sanctuary's occasional interview with 5-star GMs, and I know that many regional chapters have blogs designed to keep their members updated on upcoming sessions etc. But I haven't run across any off-Paizo blogs dedicated specifically to Pathfinder Society gaming.
Finally, I need to come up with a name for the blog and the domain name. A couple of possibilities:
- Explore-Report-Cooperate - I like it because it is essentially what the blog would do, in addition to being the three Pathfinder duties. I don't like it because it would make a very wordy domain name.
- Seeker's Plaza - You may know this is one of the areas within the Grand Lodge in Absalom, where Pathfinders frequently relax. I like this one because the title is shorter than the previous one and hints at PFS with 'seekers' in the title. I also considered "Seeker's Lodge" as well, though to my knowledge there is no such name in Pathfinder itself.
- Something with Pathfinder or Pathfinder Society in the title? I'm not sure...
I don't know if any of the above would represent copyright infringement, but I'd sure want to know if so.
Anyway, that's the idea. I'd welcome any and all thoughts and suggestions!
|⦵ Andrew Shumate Venture-Captain, West Virginia—Charleston aka Netopalis|
|Tyler Beck Venture-Captain, Online—ACG aka cartmanbeck|
I'd definitely add it to my Google Reader list, and I'd be happy to be interviewed with my experiences as a PFS GM, a contributor to d20pfsrd.com, or my articles in the newly-published Open Gaming Monthly magazine.
If you start this up, I would definitely suggest that you start with a blog about the Animal Archive and which options are PFS-legal (including a discussion of the animal archetypes and why, as of now, several of them are not legal, but hopefully that will be fixed very soon with an errata.)
Sounds like a great idea.
The only one I can think of off-hand is Mergy's Methods, written by one of the regulars here, but it's been dormant for a little while.
Yeah. It soured a bit after many rules arguments, and it wasn't as much fun after that. I haven't ruled out writing more, but I'm too busy to do so right now.
Doug, good luck with your blog. I'm always happy to read new tips! :)
|AVATAR OF THE KAGA|