Rules Question: Move Actions to perform Swift Actions?


Rules Questions


Yeah the heading about says it all, and I am sorry if this has been covered before. Can one use a move action to perform an action that requires a swift action.

It makes sense as the effort of moving is most than apparently what is needed for a swift action.


This is not a Pathfinder Society question.

Moving to the appropriate forum.


Captain Sir Hexen Ineptus wrote:

Yeah the heading about says it all, and I am sorry if this has been covered before. Can one use a move action to perform an action that requires a swift action.

It makes sense as the effort of moving is most than apparently what is needed for a swift action.

Yes, as long as no other swift actions have been performed that round.


Joshua J. Frost wrote:

This is not a Pathfinder Society question.

Moving to the appropriate forum.

Um yes it is. As I am looking for an actual clarification for society.

But if your being that liberal about the rules now okay...


concerro wrote:
Captain Sir Hexen Ineptus wrote:

Yeah the heading about says it all, and I am sorry if this has been covered before. Can one use a move action to perform an action that requires a swift action.

It makes sense as the effort of moving is most than apparently what is needed for a swift action.

Yes, as long as no other swift actions have been performed that round.

Sorry, but that can't possibly make any sense at all. What would the point of being able to use a move action for something that takes a swift action if you can not use your actual swift action for something else?....

Please try and be sensible.

The Exchange

By the RAW, no, you cannot use a move action for something that normally uses a swift action unless specifically stated otherwise. It would make sense from a logical stand-point to allow such a thing, but then you would get people trying to activate Arcane Strike multiple times on one weapon for more bonus damage, cast 2 quickened spells and one normal spell in a round, and other such tomfoolery.


Wow.

-2 for Rude.


I would allow doing another Swift Action as a STANDARD action, not a Move Action.
(i.e. in case all your memorized spells are swift spells)


Ezh Darkstrider wrote:
-2 for Rude.

-2 more ... to a Moderator, even.


Hunterofthedusk wrote:
By the RAW, no, you cannot use a move action for something that normally uses a swift action unless specifically stated otherwise. It would make sense from a logical stand-point to allow such a thing, but then you would get people trying to activate Arcane Strike multiple times on one weapon for more bonus damage, cast 2 quickened spells and one normal spell in a round, and other such tomfoolery.

Okay, I guess you are correct. But is there any rules specifically saying you can't, or other rules saying that other actions can be used for lesser actions? Like Standard action to perform a move?

If there are actual rules for using standard actions to move, then sense there are no rules for a swift action being used by other actions, then there is no reason to believe you can.

@Ezh Darkstrider: was that directed at me?

I am sorry if I seemed rude, but that seemed like a completely random, and illogical statement, that really made no sense at all, and if anything was counter-reductive as it didn't even have a quote of rules to support the statement when I was clearly trying to find an official ruling for society play.


Combat Section has rules for this. Move specifically states it can be done as a standard action. Swift says you are limited to 1 per turn.


Caineach wrote:
Combat Section has rules for this. Move specifically states it can be done as a standard action. Swift says you are limited to 1 per turn.

Okay, thanks.

Shadow Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook Subscriber
Captain Sir Hexen Ineptus wrote:
I am sorry if I seemed rude, but that seemed like a completely random, and illogical statement, that really made no sense at all, and if anything was counter-reductive as it didn't even have a quote of rules to support the statement when I was clearly trying to find an official ruling for society play.

Just so you know where Josh is coming from; he has stated on multiple occasions that standard rules questions should be asked in the standard Pathfinder Rules questions forums. He's dedicating his time to rules nuances that specifically pertain to how PFS is played.


MisterSlanky wrote:
Captain Sir Hexen Ineptus wrote:
I am sorry if I seemed rude, but that seemed like a completely random, and illogical statement, that really made no sense at all, and if anything was counter-reductive as it didn't even have a quote of rules to support the statement when I was clearly trying to find an official ruling for society play.
Just so you know where Josh is coming from; he has stated on multiple occasions that standard rules questions should be asked in the standard Pathfinder Rules questions forums. He's dedicating his time to rules nuances that specifically pertain to how PFS is played.

Okay.


Not to beat a dead horse, as it seems you have had your question answered, but...

Yes it was directed at you. I was quite taken aback by the tone of the two quick posts you made back-to-back. And while I appreciate the fact that the written word is unreliable at times in communicating exact tone, I had a knee-jerk reaction.

If one's host asks one to go into the next room, one should go into the next room, and not say something like, "Um, no, this is the correct room."

And, if someone is trying to be helpful, rejecting their input and calling them insensible is rather ungracious and ungrateful.

Just my opinion. Two posts, -2.

As a general {and cliche} rule: It's not what you say, it's how you say it!

Peace.

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Rules Questions / Rules Question: Move Actions to perform Swift Actions? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.