Red Dragon

no good scallywag's page

Organized Play Member. 127 posts. No reviews. No lists. No wishlists. 2 Organized Play characters.


RSS

1 to 50 of 127 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Sounds eerily similar to Strange Aeons...


A creature has been a victim of the Volcanic Eruption spell...

It wants to cast Dimension Door to get away...

Wtf happen?


Can a medium creature with Friendly Toss and Titan Wrestler use the 2 action Friendly Toss to "toss" an ally who is size large or huge?


Can cold iron or other materials be added to animal companion teeth?


Good afternoon everyone,

I'm looking into computing the total treasure reward for a group of 4 PCs from level 1 to level 2.

I understand the chart provided in the Core book pertaining to wealth by level.

I picked out a few items going by the chart. However, enemies they face also have treasure listed. Is the treasure enemies carry*in addition* to what I've picked out based on the chart?

Wondering what others have done.

Cheers


Good afternoon everyone,

I'm looking into computing the total treasure reward for a group of 4 PCs from level 1 to level 2.

I understand the chart provided in the Core book pertaining to wealth by level.

I picked out a few items going by the chart. However, enemies they face also have treasure listed. Is the treasure enemies carry*in addition* to what I've picked out based on the chart?

Wondering what others have done.

Cheers


If a 12th level character had the level 10 Specialist Ring, would the spell that it's cast using this ring be:

1. Level of the character

2. Level 10, as the Ring

3. Level of the character if they were a level 10 caster...using wizard, could cast up to level 5


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I would like to reiterate OP's post from another post...

This has nothing to do with Paizo.


4 people marked this as a favorite.
keftiu wrote:
There’s a thread I made in the 5e forum, where this belongs. Paizo has nothing to do with this project.

helpful as usual...


2 people marked this as a favorite.

First post on this?!

If it's not appropriate to post discussion on this I understand.

Just wanted to get some thoughts on the news today.

Looks like WOTC is really focusing on digital play, both in in-person settings and online play.

I prefer PF2 over 5e by far, but tweets I've seen imply D&D One, or "6th Edition" as it will be dually called, will be tested "better" than PF2 was tested and have things that are better than PF2.

Perram, previously from Know Direction, made a comment about monsters and spells " no longer critting.". I couldn't find anything further about this big he implied this was a good thing, rather than "false machismo n his it should be."

I guess I'm really confused on his statement compared to online what was released by WOTC. The release said the system will basically stay the same but include more options, something that kills 5e for me in personally. The combat is still so slow and boring they'd have to really make some changes.

Dunno, I felt like some comments I read were implying this new D&D was on the right track to improve 5e and undo PF2's "mistakes."


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I am pretty disappointed with Paizo for GenCon 2022. The PFS presence in the Sagamore was a quarter what it used to be. Hardly no personalities were there. I did see John Compton and Luis, who are of course shining examples of Team Paizo and do fantastic work in setting and out.

No hype whatsoever at the Con. Only time all tables were full was for the special Saturday night. Quality of GMs I had were poorer then past Cons.

I won't ever play an interactive special again. Combat all night is just plain boring, and stopping in the middle of a combat to move onto the next area just breaks the story.

It is my understanding there were a lot of GM no-shows as well. Doesn't seem to bode well. I get the bad feeling Paizo is now on the downslope of success.

I hope I'm wrong.


Hello everyone and Paizo staff!

Will Paizo be offering seminars this year? I still don't see any listed.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Aaron Shanks wrote:
no good scallywag wrote:
Leon Aquilla wrote:
Aaron Shanks wrote:

I believe, with Paizo’s strong relationship with freelance authors, the company is better positioned than most to identify and promote new talent. I trust in that.

M-O-O-N! That spells Hilary Moon Murphy!

I sincerely apologize, but I just listened to a Know Direction podcast from April wherein Ron said Paizo wasn't going to produce any more adventures for PF2 and was going to release 5th edition versions of them instead. But i can't find anywhere else that this is the case.

I am thoroughly confused.

Perhaps you misheard him? He will no longer be creating any more Pathfinder Second Edition Adventures and Adventure Paths for Paizo, as a freelancer, or via his own publishing company.

Paizo will produce Pathfinder Second Edition Adventures and Adventure Paths for the foreseeable future. The two 5e conversions announced are the Kingmaker Adventure Path Bestiary (September for backers, October for retail) and the Abomination Vaults Adventure Path Compilation (November).

It's been revealed to me that he did say this but it was an April fools joke, and my buddy cut the clip off. I have to say, i nearly panicked! I am glad to see the conversions as long as PF2 rules are still created and living! It's a far superior system to 5e. And the world of golarion is of course second to none.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Leon Aquilla wrote:
Aaron Shanks wrote:

I believe, with Paizo’s strong relationship with freelance authors, the company is better positioned than most to identify and promote new talent. I trust in that.

M-O-O-N! That spells Hilary Moon Murphy!

I sincerely apologize, but I just listened to a Know Direction podcast from April wherein Ron said Paizo wasn't going to produce any more adventures for PF2 and was going to release 5th edition versions of them instead. But i can't find anywhere else that this is the case.

I am thoroughly confused.


Hello!

I heard the creators of my Druid chronicle say each class book had a special Easter egg in it or something like that. I've tried my best to find the druid one. Anyone had any luck?


2 people marked this as a favorite.

There's nothing for it....we'll all end up getting COVID most likely, no matter what precautions we take. Simply breathing air that a positive person had just exhaled can transmit it, let alone all the surfaces we touch and unknowing face touching we all do. It's unfortunate that things have come to this. Hopefully everyone heals up and is ok! I'm not letting the virus damper my attendance at conventions, though, but will play it as safe as possible so I and others can keep enjoying Pathfinder and gaming.


Hi there,

I'm looking at the PFS 2 events list for GenCon but don't see any games for PFS 2 listed for Friday night, 800p slot. Other slots are listed but not this one...I thought maybe because it's also a special that it hasn't made it to the list yet?


^


Interesting.

It is strange, though, that magical bows sort of imbue a non-magical arrow with it's power. Although, I could see the "power" imbued isn't really imbuing the arrow...


one more question:

What about the spell telekinetic projectile? Does the magical nature of the attack and spell bypass the physical resistance?


in title...

Plus, if immune to slashing, are they immune to a magical scimitar?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

incredibly sad to see him go. Unfortunate that Paizo can't seem to tinker their pay scales to keep people like him.


If a creature that has swallow whole has a creature already swallowed, can it keep doing swallow damage as an action?


Castilliano wrote:


Who's said verisimilitude has been sacrificed?

I've literally heard some devs say this. Which I like.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Mike, I'm sorry to have left you out of the mentions! It's like one of those oscar speeches where someone has to list names and just ends up naming everyone lol!


20 people marked this as a favorite.

I've played Pathfinder since 2010, jumping over from my longtime love of ADnD 2e. Since then, I've fell in love with the world of Golarion, went to GenCon every year it's been held, and attended the last in-person PaizoCon. I've purchases thousands of dollars worth of miniatures, books, and accessories and ran and played thousands of hours of Pathfinder 1. I also jumped aboard the PF2 bandwagon and am happy with its direction.

Yes, there have been bumps on the road which made me upset, angry, and despondent. Things like the Ninja Division fiasco where I lost $300 (looking at you, Eric); the (for my preference only) poor convention specials (although the GenCon '19 was a marked improvement!); and the lack of presence at Gen Con 2021. Quality of editing has been hit or miss, and I cannot understand how to this day a company like Paizo doesn't catch misspellings and grammar mistakes. I DO understand that developers and creators should not be editing their own material-so how about some of the higher ups get into editing and help out? Just my thoughts on that.

One thing the creators have done tremendously, however, are the quality of their ideas. Add to that their constant willingness to engage with the fans on the forums and in person during conventions makes for top-tier class acts. While the upper management of Paizo has some serious issues, I still play PF2 because of the people who actually create it.

Another poster stated something about new APs being "strange and weird." I agree, but PF has such an extensive library already there is nearly something for everyone. I am very comfortable with adapting PF adventures to PF2 (I'm currently running Mummy's Mask). I understand that new players may not want to do that work, but PF2 is still young, and I'm certain more content is to come. Personally, I'm glad Paizo is doing an around-the-world approach (although I'm still waiting on that Galt AP).

I wanted the developers and creators, especially those who I routinely see on Youtube and Twitch, to know that you make this game what it is. I get through my workweek knowing I will be playing PF2 the coming weekend. I'm glad to see Bulhman's face on the tube, or Seifter's cogent explanations with Arcane Mark. His partner in crime, Linda, always brings cheer and has an ability to bring things back into perspective. James Jacobs seems like the most caring person I've ever met, yet some of his creations make me think he might be diabolical.

I wanted to thank you all for your hard work despite the employment issues that many of us face.


4 people marked this as a favorite.

As I've leveled characters up to 20, the options for skill feats and general feats become incredibly sparse. So much so that every character of every class ends up getting nearly identical skill and general feats. While I do appreciate the silo-ing of feats into classes and archetypes, I am going to open up dedication feats to all players regardless of class because there aren't enough options. Not sure if this is a result of the game still being young or the closing off of options is hurting. I agree that the game needs some more quality skill and general feats that unlock outright new abilities rather than just improving proficiency.

As a GM, I appreciate the quick combat that occurs in PF2e. I like the way challenges can be set up. I like it when my party has a distinct fear of dying, which PF2 offers. However, I've noticed some issues. Encounters at average party level of the group tend to be on the easy side, and the sweet spot seems to be APL+2. But going above that to APL+3 is a big enough jump to nearly party-wipe them. I made an APL+5 encounter but used a bunch of creatures 8 levels below the party average. It wasn’t even a challenge, which seems a bit silly.

Regarding the dying rules, I hate that I have to move character initiative. My style of administering battles is to write down player turns and simply put a check mark or tick mark when that player has gone. But if someone goes down, I effectively have to create a new list with a new order. Yes, I realize the players get one whole turn to then try and heal the player who went down, which is why I've kept this rule, but it's constantly a thorn in my side as the battle progresses. I like to be very efficient in my GMing. I also agree that dying is anti-climactic. There is no more sudden death, ever. Characters only die slowly, constantly failing their stabilization roll or from an already-high wounded condition.

One encounter resulted in 3 out of the 4 going unconscious, unable to stabilize, for 3 entire rounds when the 4th person tried desperately to heal himself, the others, and keep the monsters at bay. It was the most boring 3 rounds of combat ever.

Being a caster is boring. Leveling up a caster is even moreso.

I’ve adapted Mummy’s Mask and have been running this every weekend for one year now. I love the rule mechanisms for monster creation and encounter building. This is Grade A Prime game development right here.

Over my experience with this game since its release, it appears the magical item issue is working for us. The characters don’t feel like they need to have certain magical items to compete. Buuuuuuuuut…..there are some things that are still necessary, like weapon and armor modifiers. Without even a baseline, low magic rune, it’s difficult for me to see the PCs being successful. But we’re fine with that! It’s working good so far. In fact, we’d rather see more unique items available. The current stock are uninspiring.

3-action system is still great. It does take some time for players to become accustomed to, though, and not waste their 3rd action on a low-chance hit.

Worldbuilding is second to none! I only play using Golarion.

I miss monster templates.

I do not like using Perception for Sense Motive.

Summoning is a bit weak. Monster levels are too low for the encounter they’re usually summoned for.

Someone mentioned the awkwardness of non-CRB class features and they are correct.


which undead? plus, note that drained has the negative trait


Are undead immune to the drained condition? RAW appears that they are not immune.

Specifically, the rules refer to undead being healed by negative "energy."

Is drained "negative energy?"


Deriven Firelion wrote:
Errenor wrote:
Deriven Firelion wrote:
I was not aware that Line of Effect or wall of force had changed. I will run it as I always have. Wording seems the same to me.
And how has it always been? How do you read the wording? Or better, maybe there is some input from the gamedesigners somewhere?

I read the wording as physical effects which include energy, poison, and anything manifesting a physical effect treats wall of force like a wall. Not interpreting it this way leads to all types of strangeness like you're seeing in this thread where somehow a ghost can't pass through or an arrow or sword, but somehow energy can pass through like a fireball. Physical effects is pretty clear, was clear in the old edition, and includes everything manifesting as physical in the world as in material. I don't expect the designers to write 10 pages explaining physical effects within the game world because some people want to pretend they don't know what a physical effect is in the context of wall of force which has not changed across many editions of the game.

Line of effect is blocked because a wall of force is just a wall that is clear. But it is still very much a wall when adjudicating line of effect.

Funny, because the game actually gives two different definitions of physical damage and energy damage, so you're wrong there. Plus, the go out of their way in other spells to put in physical AND energy damage. And, by the way, this is PF 2, not PF 1, so using PF as an argument if irrelevant, as this is a new system. Your lack of evidence renders your argument unconvincing.


Thod wrote:


Yes - A Wall of Force blocks Magic Missiles.

Got a rules cite for this? I can't find anything specific. The Shield spell specifically states "magic missile," so why wouldn't Wall of Force do so?


Leomund "Leo" Velinznrarikovich wrote:
Maybe Resilient Sphere can shed light.

Ah. Interesting to note the sphere does take damage, so this "force" at least is similar to a solid!

Plus...mind blown... would a wall of force block a magic missile!?


Without a hard and fact definition of "physical effects," it's definitely difficult to come up with an answer. I'm really hung up on that term, as other areas of RAW specifically call out whether or not a spell blocks energy damage/attacks. I'm leaning on the opinion that a Wall of Force will not block energy attacks/damage.

However, I'm not 100% sold on that. I'd say I'm 51%-49% in favor of Wall of Force not being able to block energy attacks/damage.

I'm also hesitant because it's unclear whether or not Wall of Force acts as some sort of barrier, and what type of barrier it is representing. "Force" is clearly, RAW, and energy type. Things made of energy still have matter, i.e. "physicality;" an Unseen Servant is completely made of force, but can manipulate objects.

But it's also clear that energy damage is different from physical damage, in that there are resistances to physical damage and energy damage.

Most telling is another spell, Chromatic Wall, which specifically says it blocks energy.


I'm just checking because it's not 100% clear.

Does a ghost get resistance to the disintegrate spell? What kind of damage is being done? It would appear to be "magical" damage.


Man, I love these forums! So many different ways to look at issues and discuss them without hating on each other! :)

I do lean towards energy damage as not being "physical." Mainly because there are rules for physical damage, i.e. damage resistance to physical damage. Plus, energy damage ignores armor, which is physical.

I also think Wall of Force doesn't block line of sight/line of effect for mental spells.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

The union and Paizo will now undoubtedly show others in this industry and other industries that unions and companies can work together, develop good product, and have everyone win.


8 people marked this as a favorite.
PossibleCabbage wrote:
Deriven Firelion wrote:
Paizo is a pretty small company. Not sure what a union would do at Paizo.

A real, and important, function of unions in a context like this is to create a formal means for employees to bring issues that are in need of redress to management before these issues flare up and become a real problem.

So while certainly something like "an individual employee approaches a manager about a problem" is a way problems *could* be headed off, there are anecdotal reports that "relying on the manager's good will and positive intent to fix the problem" is not working. If you have a collectively bargained contract, and language in that contract to point to, that has more weight than getting an "oh sure, I'll do that."

The employees of a company are just as valuable as the management. People often forget this.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I really wish we could get a solid definition of "physical effect." This would solve the issue immediately.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

By RAW, is energy damage a "physical effect?". I can't find that anywhere. Otherwise the definition is ambiguous.


Would the electrical attack of the Arcane Living Rune be able to bypass the Wall of Force?

It would appear so, as the Wall of Force only blocks "physical" damage.


I just wanted to make sure i was reading rules correctly.

While engulfed, a creature still needs to make an attack roll to hit the creature that is doing the engulfing?


OH MY GOD

Literally, 4 of us missed this Saturday night.

It was a long day...


A creature that succeeds its saving throw vs. Chain Lightning, does it:

Get 0 damage?

Take half damage?

Usually things say "basic" save.

Chain Lightning
Spell 6
ElectricityEvocation
Source Core Rulebook pg. 322 2.0
Traditions arcane, primal
Deities Dagon, Hei Feng, Ranginori
Cast Two Actions somatic, verbal
Range 500 feet; Targets 1 creature, plus any number of additional creatures
Saving Throw Reflex

You discharge a powerful bolt of lightning at the target, dealing 8d12 electricity damage. The target must attempt a basic Reflex save. The electricity arcs to another creature within 30 feet of the first target, jumps to another creature within 30 feet of that target, and so on. You can end the chain at any point. You can't target the same creature more than once, and you must have line of effect to all targets. Roll the damage only once, and apply it to each target (halving or doubling as appropriate for its saving throw outcome). The chain ends if any one of the targets critically succeeds at its save.

Heightened (+1) The damage increases by 1d12.


Just checking: can any creature be prone?

For instance, can a snake or Owb be knocked prone?


My question is:

Why doesn't Shrink impart a mechanical change? It would seem it should: moving sizes larger imparts a change, so it would intuit that moving sizes smaller should as well.


Hello!

For Side Trek Seeds submission, do the headers, "Plot Hook," "Background," and "Potential Resolution" or the title of the article count in the 325 word count?

Thank ya


HammerJack wrote:
no good scallywag wrote:

I apologize for necro'ing this, but if the Enlarge spell changes some stats, wouldn't it intuit that shrinking would, also?

Not really, no. Enlarge both changes size AND applies a clumsy condition and a status bonus to melee damage. No bonuses or penalties are included in a size change.

Shrink only changes size.

Right...and why does Enlarge give you a bonus? Because you're bigger. Why does it give clumsy? Because you're bigger.

So, it would at least make some sense that being smaller would also give you a bonus/penalty, plus condition.

For instance, a penalty to hit due to decreased strength, but a condition like quickened.

It really seems silly that a tiny creature still does the same amount of damage that they did as a medium creature, especially in light of the fact that going bigger changes things.


I apologize for necro'ing this, but if the Enlarge spell changes some stats, wouldn't it intuit that shrinking would, also?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Very disappointed this isn't in person.

Guess my time and money will just have to go to GenCon this year.


When the bestiary says a a flesh Golem has antimagic, does forms of magic like divine lance work on him?

1 to 50 of 127 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>