Gunslinger

Lemoncherry Candyapple's page

60 posts. Alias of AbsolutGrndZer0.



1 to 50 of 204 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>
Dark Archive

So, I was reading the Hell's Rebels PG and since Kintargo is a river port city, they say that aquatic animal companions and familiars are appropriate, and yet... how are they? If I take an octopus for example as my animal companion, by the RAW it's going to have to stay in the water (even though RL octopus can and do go outside the water) and unless the majority of the AP takes place in the water (which I doubt) the same problem is for a blue-ringed octopus familiar, also suggested.

Now, of course at much later levels one can pick up a Necklace of Adaptation (though it will need to be specially enchanted so an octopus can wear it, increasing the price a LOT) or cast Water Breathing constantly...

So, I just don't see why they recommend aquatic companions/familars... yet they do so what am I missing?

Dark Archive

So, any chance on getting updates to the iCrit and iFail apps on the iPhone? I loved having them because I didn't have to carry my cards around or risk losing them.

However, since iOS11 the app has quit working and now I just get a message that it needs to be updated to iOS11.

So, what do you say? Please? :)

Dark Archive

15 people marked this as FAQ candidate. 1 person marked this as a favorite.

Okay, so there was a thread years ago about this, but no 'official' consensus was ever reached... so then they are more than likely played in PFS, so how do they work?

Hedge Witch wrote:

Spontaneous Healing (Su): A hedge witch can channel stored spell energy into healing spells that she did not prepare ahead of time. The witch can “lose” any prepared spell that is not an orison in order to cast any cure spell of the same spell level or lower, even if she doesn’t know that cure spell. This replaces the witch’s hex gained at 4th level.

Empathic Healing (Su): A hedge witch can minister to a diseased or poisoned target, redirecting the affliction into herself. For a poisoned target, the witch must tend to him as a standard action; he makes his next saving throw against the poison as normal, but the witch suffers the effects of the failed save instead of the poisoned creature. For a diseased target, the witch must tend to the sick person for an hour; he makes his next saving throw against the disease as normal, but the witch suffers the effects of the failed save instead of the diseased creature. The witch does not actually become poisoned or diseased (and is not contagious and does not need to be cured), but suffers the effects of the affliction as if she had been. The witch normally uses this ability to extend the life of someone near death, giving him time to recover. This ability has no effect if the witch is immune to disease or poison. This replaces the witch’s hex gained at 8th level.

I bolded the important parts. Now, note that it doesn't specify what level the hedge witch gets the ability, so would that not mean that you get it at level 1? All hedge witches can do this? BUT, it then says it replaces the hexes at 4th and 8th level respectively. So to some players, this means you don't actually get the abilities until 4th and 8th level.

My take in home games is that the witch gets them at level 1, but if a player tries to abuse the rules and 'dip' I'll smack them (not literally) but I know that kind of ruling doesn't work in PFS.

So, what's the 'official' way to do it in a PFS game, both if I ever play one or if I run a game where a player is one?

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.

So, I originally posted this in the "Other RPGS" section since it most recently happened with a non-Paizo game, however that forum doesn't get as much traffic, plus I HAVE had this issue with a Pathfinder game too, so I'm reposting it here..

Okay, so this has never been an issue before, but lately I'm running into players that seem to think that games should take place day-to-day like a soap opera (vs. like a TV show like for example, Lucifer on a recent show we found out that it's been about a year or so since Lucifer first met Chloe, whereas if it was day to day with each episode being a day, it would only two months) where each game session picks up where the last one left off and there is NO downtime or anything... one 'story' ends and the next one springs literally off that one or else if it doesn't then... uh... how was your date last night with the princess?

I'm kinda confused, as I've been gaming since the 80's and never have I ever played or ran in a game like that that wasn't specially intended to be so (and they got boring as **** fast)

So, what's the deal? Why am I getting so many players APALLED that I would 'skip a few days or weeks' for the players to train, etc before the next 'adventure'?

Dark Archive

Okay, so this has never been an issue before, but lately I'm running into players that seem to think that games should take place day-to-day like a soap opera (vs. like a TV show like for example, Lucifer on a recent show we found out that it's been about a year or so since Lucifer first met Chloe, whereas if it was day to day with each episode being a day, it would only two months) where each game session picks up where the last one left off and there is NO downtime or anything... one 'story' ends and the next one springs literally off that one or else if it doesn't then... uh... how was your date last night with the princess?

I'm kinda confused, as I've been gaming since the 80's and never have I ever played or ran in a game like that that wasn't specially intended to be so (and they got boring as **** fast)

So, what's the deal? Why am I getting so many players APALLED that I would 'skip a few days or weeks' for the players to train, etc before the next 'adventure'?

Dark Archive

So hey I had a question for you guys about what you think of something in a game, something a player said (in character)

Okay, so first quick rundown... In a modern setting game I am running, a local werewolf (who's family in general are not very nice) was killed along with her daughter. The only survivor was the granddaughter. However, those that killed her family were coming after her too... and the players helped save her. So then, a few other things related to that her entire family mow are considered traitors to the werewolves, the characters said... "Ramona doesn't care about anyone but herself, always it's just her personal drama."

Like, okay I get it if as players they don't like the storyline, but... to say something like that in character? Just struck me as off... I mean, her entire family is dead and she's trying to stay alive... is her wanting help with that 'selfish'?

Especially ironic is that if they were to tell her about their current chosen goals, she'd actually be able to send them to someone that can help them out, an old friend of her grandmother's.

Dark Archive

So, how does the Regenerate and similar healing spells that don't hurt undead affect a dhampir or other character with negative energy affinity?

It works on the living, the dhampir is living, so it should regenerate them same as anyone else, right? Since it doesn't mention positive energy and hurting undead, the negative energy affinity shouldn't kick in.

Anyone else have thoughts, or know of a place where a definitive answer was given?

Dark Archive

Okay, so they Gray Gardener prestige class says that you must execute a convicted criminal. Their guilt or innocence doesn't matter. That made me think, what if someone who truly believed in the lawful authority of the Gray Gardeners wanted to be a gray gardener?

The person was convicted.

Sure, they might be innocent, but you don't know they are. Just that they were convicted means they are guilty, so as a Lawful Neutral upholder of the law, you execute them.

Now, what if you know that they were framed but there wasn't enough evidence... does doing your lawfully appointed job as a Lawful Neutral person mean you are now committing an evil act?

Disclaimer and request: I know this can be discussed from a real life point of view, and that's somewhat okay with me, it's impossible to discuss such a subject as the nuances of good vs. evil without some real life encroaching, but if you do give opinions about the issue IRL, please keep it respectful, and be respectful of others opinions on the issue, even if you don't agree.

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as FAQ candidate.

Since undead are immune to bleed damage, would an undead be unable to use the Stigmata ability, or would it be an exception as a class ability?

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as FAQ candidate.

Okay, so a friend has presented the idea that if a rogue (or other class with Evasion) is hit by a naturally occuring landslide, they cannot use Evasion, since they are not being attacked...

So, is he right? If it's not a spell or attack and instead a naturally occurring landslide or such, does Evasion still apply? Seems to me it does, since you are making a Reflex save.

Dark Archive

Okay, so normally a paladin must be lawful and a barbarian can't be lawful so you can't multiclass them together, however the variant multiclass rules don't mention alignment (although the Paladin does mention the code of conduct) so therefore, would it be legal for a Paladin to be a variant Barbarian even though she can't be a regular multiclass barbarian?

Dark Archive

So for reference, the Oath of Chastity says...

Oath of Chastity wrote:

A chaste paladin proves her purity by way of her action and her abstinence from romantic activities. Many believe that this oath is only about sex, but it is really an oath about the romantic notion that a single person could be more important than all the evils facing the world—it is this perceived selfishness that the bearer of the Oath of Chastity strives to reject. In doing so, she gains purifying power.

...

Code of Conduct: Never engage in a romantic relationship or a sexual act.

Now, comparing the parts I bolded, one is the description and one is the actual code you have to follow. So, what about a brother or sister? You're not in a romantic relationship with your sibling, and you're definitely not engaging in sexual acts with your sibling (we hope) so then by the CODE you are not in violation, but are you not by the fluff, if you would put your sibling above a stranger?

Dark Archive

So, looking at the Insinuator archetype, there are only two real things that they have to worry about when it comes to breaking their code of conduct (besides breaking the code of the outsider they are invoking, but seeing as how they choose the outsider, that's pretty easy to make sure you don't break the rules of the outsider you specifically picked today.)

1. Selfless Acts.
2. Violence that does not further their ends.

#2 is pretty easy... you're not a monster killing because you can.

But #1... What is a selfless act? An act in which you do for others and get NOTHING in return, but... does that even exist?

If an insinuator went around saving lives, giving generously to charity just like a paladin would, etc... Would they lose their class abilities? I would almost think there is no way to violate #1 because they will feel like they did a good thing, others that they helped will praise them, etc.

Take for example this scene from Friends where Joey tells Phoebe that there is no such thing as a selfless act, and throughout the episode she tries to prove him wrong... and can't... (plus there is the irony that it's an impossible task... if she did manage to find one, she would be getting the satisfaction of proving Joey wrong... and BAM she just negated the selfless act.)

Good Deeds do not exist?

Dark Archive

So, I was thinking since things like Bane and such are available as additional things you can enchant your weapons with as a magus, why not add agile to the list? Of course, this would require an arcana like bane does.

So, I figure it would require a 7th level magus to take it, since CL of the enchantment seems to be the deciding factor on the other additions.

Thoughts?

Dark Archive

So, I know that Spell Combat allows a Magus to make a standard action attack and cast a spell, but she then cannot do a full attack action. However, it seems to me that if she was able to cast a spell as a swift action, she wouldn't need Spell Combat in the first place this round and could then do her full attack AND cast her spell with her single swift action, correct?

Dark Archive

Okay, so the addition of the Orc Atavism Alternate Racial Trait has me a bit confused now with Racial Heritage.

First, here is Orc Atavism:

Inner Sea Races, pg. 212 wrote:

Orc Atavism

Some half-orcs have much stronger orc blood than human blood. Such half-orcs count as only half-orcs and orcs (not also humans) for any effect related to race. They gain a +2 bonus to Strength and a –2 penalty to one mental ability score of their choice. Finally, they gain the ferocity universal monster ability. This racial trait replaces the half-orc’s usual racial ability score modifiers, as well as intimidating, orc blood, and orc ferocity.

So, that says they count as half-orcs and orcs, but NOT as humans.

Then Racial Heritage:

Advanced Player's Guide wrote:

Racial Heritage

The blood of a non-human ancestor flows in your veins.

Prerequisites: Human.

Benefit: Choose another humanoid race. You count as both human and that race for any effects related to race. For example, if you choose dwarf, you are considered both a human and a dwarf for the purpose of taking traits, feats, how spells and magic items affect you, and so on.

Okay, so then I always assumed that you couldn't take Racial Heritage: Half-Orc, since it's kinda pointless. I mean, aside from a few racial archetype and (in the case of half-elves) a few feats that only serve to divorce you of one or the other [or both], when are you ever going to find an ability or even bane that is half-elf or half-orc ONLY? Every single Half-Orc feat in the ARG can be taken by Orcs too... the same cannot be said for Orc feats, however it can in the case of a half-orc because they count as an orc...

However, the existence of Orc Atavism now has me rethinking that... Can you take Racial Heritage: Half-Orc, which would then basically be the human equivalent of Orc Atavism? You are a human, you are a half-orc, but you are NOT an orc, and you are still NOT susceptible to orc bane weapons.. because you are human and half-orc, NOT an orc. Furthermore, if you take Racial Heritage: Orc you cannot take Half-Orc feats, unless it can also be taken by humans or orcs? So, Racial Heritage: Elf doesn't qualify you for Half-Elf/Half-Orc racial archetypes, only Racial Heritage: Half-Elf/Half-Orc does, same with Racial Heritage: Half-Orc does NOT qualify you for Orc feats?

Could I make a villain that hated the half-races but had no problem with humans, elves or orcs; could such a bigot make a Half-Elf/Half-Orc bane weapon that would not harm humans, elves or orcs; just the half-breeds?

Dark Archive

So, I have a concept for two characters where their background is that they were slaves forced to fight in the arena, but when they were put against each other in a fight to the death, they both refused and escaped together.

Problem is, I'm having trouble coming up with exactly HOW they would have escaped such a scenario. Anyone have suggestions, or is this idea not doable?

Dark Archive

So, for a game where we are starting off in a non-magical world similar to Earth then going to a magical world, I am thinking about making a character that is an old-fashioned blacksmith and actress of sorts at Renaissance Faires. So, if she's doing stage combat and such, is that part of Perform (Acting) or would it be separate?

"Ask your GM" won't work in this case because the GM is a new GM and so he's relying on me to teach him the game somewhat at the same time as a sort of assistant GM.

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.

I figured I'd start a thread here in the discussion area about this question, which has quickly become a sort of pet peeve of mine on these forums.

Invariably someone will ask a question, and someone will find it in their great wisdom to tell them to ask their GM.

The problems with this nearly worthless statements are:

1. They could be a GM looking for advice for other players on a ruling that isn't 100% clear to them.
2. They could be a player looking to learn the rules before they present a flawed character to a GM, wasting his/her time.
3. [Insert your own reason for asking a question on the forums rather than just asking your GM with a doctorate in Pathfinder that you have on call 24/7.]

So, who else finds this answer annoying and on the other foot, who here thinks it's a 100% valid answer (to all or just some questions?)

Also let's all try to keep this civil, so that we can discuss it without getting anything deleted or the thread locked.

Dark Archive

Melee Tactics Toolbox wrote:
Combat Style Student: At 2nd level, a bloody-knuckled rowdy gains a bonus feat. This bonus feat must be a style feat or a feat with a style feat as a prerequisite. The bloodyknuckled rowdy treats his bloodrager levels as monk levels when qualifying for and calculating the effects of style feats and feats that have style feats as prerequisites. At 5th level, the bloody-knuckled rowdy gains the Combat Style Master feat. He doesn’t need to meet the prerequisites for this feat. This ability replaces uncanny dodge and improved uncanny dodge.

So, seeing as how you are only 2nd level, it's nearly impossible to qualify for any style feats (in fact, Snapping Turtle is the only one I can see)... So does the "He doesn't need to meet the prerequisites" apply to both 2nd and 5th level, or only 5th level?

Dark Archive

Disclaimer: Please don't say 'Ask your GM." or anything of the sort, It really is of no help in the Advice forums. I am looking for feedback on game balance to help me as a GM (less so player but maybe) and so answers such as that are basically just saying "Don't bother asking this question in the first place."

Okay, so that annoyance aside, I am for fun making a Kraken Caller druid loosely based upon Victoria Prismall and her pet octopus, Otto (they inspired me basically haha)

So, I was thinking of making her an undine with Cecaelia heritage, similar to how some undine have nereid or mephit heritage.

I was thinking therefore of switching out her spell-like ability for the Cecaelia's ink cloud ability, but my question is would the 'once per hour' limitation it has be fair, or would it still need to be nerfed to once per day?

Just to be clear again, I am looking for opinions and such which means if you really feel the need to say "ask your GM", then BE the GM. I'm asking you.

Dark Archive

Okay, so Mythic Monsters have their own abilities, they don't get the same tiers as players normally, but they do still get their choice of feats.

SO, I have two questions, but first a request.

Please don't say "Ask your GM" or any such thing. That's not helpful to anyone, especially not when odds are a person asking a question in this forum is either a GM themselves or they are in some way needing an answer from someone other than 'their GM'

Now, first of all can a Mythic Monster take the Dual Path feat and get one of the special powers from a player path?

Then second, while I realize that by the RAW it can only be taken once even by players, could a monster take "Extra Path Ability" to gain either a Universal power, or if they already had Dual Path above, a player tier power?

Dark Archive

So, I was just thinking, how many of you see level and age as linked?

For example, you can do an AP where you start off as level 1 and play to the end of the AP where you are around 16 or so. But how long does that AP take? A few months? A few years? A few decades?

Or, you can play a game where you start at level 1 and play for years in game, only gaining 10 levels or so.

So, that brings me to the reason for my question. How would you (as GM or as player) see a character concept at level 1 that is a human (with the Reincarnated trait) whose backstory is that she was in her 40's when she was reincarnated by a witch? So, she still has all her memories of before, but being as this is a level 1 campaign she's not the high level one would think a 40 year old should be?

I've always myself seen level as a mechanic necessary because its' a GAME... but to say that one can't be any age you want (granted, she of course doesn't get any bonuses for being that old... again, mechanic vs. concept) and your level only matters in the context of the story narrative.

What is everyone else's thoughts?

Dark Archive

Do Mythic Monsters still get the chart abilities, like Amazing Initiative, Immortal, etc?

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.

We seriously need an ignore function. I just made a joke about something that happened between me and another poster a year ago, and some random person that connected the dots based on another post I made (then deleted to rethink how to re-word it) decided to call me out because he didn't understand the intent of my joke and thought it was 'petty revenge'

When I asked that we not continue to derail the thread (and gave my actual non-joke answer at that point,) he then edited his previous post making a comment about how 'that's the best you could come up with after a year'

Seriously, I just want to be able to ignore people like him, and not have to deal with it. Then I could have apologized for the ill-thought out joke to the OP, and hopefully all would be well.

But now instead, his question is potentially derailed.

Plus, then if the OP had a problem with my 'joke' he would be able to ignore me.


So this character has for a long time been part of a campaign, however the past week suddenly my 'campaigns' tab for her doesn't say she's in it any more. If you go to the actual campaign's page, she's still listed as a current character on the campaign end, just not on my end... Here is the campaign info link.

The Many Faced GM's Skull and Shackles

As you should be able to see, Baltzar Calinova is a current character, along with her familiar, Romello, who by the way has the same issue.

Dark Archive

I asked this once before, but I forgot the answer, plus it may have changed.

So, to try to keep it short. My first ever PFS game was this past Free RPG Day where, since there were more players than pregen goblins, we played through a regular PFS adventure of that tier. Since I had no character, I used a pregen and was told that I could either apply it to my first character right away and it would be worth less, or I could wait until I was level 3 and apply it then. I've decided to wait.

Now, my question is when the time comes, how do I apply the character to my account? I noticed that the online game I played is listed for me, but of course as my character wasn't made at the time, the pregen game isn't.

I would ask the VC but he moved to Texas and didn't give me any info about his successor before he did. :( Soo um... maybe if the VC in charge of Topeka, Kansas might have to be the one to apply it?


I was recently thinking of making a half-elf character that is actually small sized. More specifically she's a fey creature (the template) and the intent is that her heritage is pixie. Her first level Fey power is to take the form of 'a normal specimen of its base creature' which would be of course medium... but her true form she's small because of the pixie heritage.

However, I was wondering what people thought would be the pros and cons from another GM's point of view on doing this.

So, if you were running a game where you allowed players to make a core character with a +1 template (which the Fey template is) and I asked if I could make a small fey half-elf, would you allow it or not and why?

What about a player that wanted to play a real life 'little person' (I am using that since there are more than one genetic condition that causes a person to be smaller, and because some words are considered not polite) and wanted to make a small human?

Dark Archive

13 people marked this as FAQ candidate.

So it was asked by someone else, but due to political talk the thread was closed without a definitive answer.

What does this replace since Half-Elves don't have skilled?

Might we assume the intent was Adaptability?

After all, the trait IS PFS legal which is therefore kind of odd, as how do you take it?

Dark Archive

So, I'm playing in a local Superheroes game based in the DC universe using the DC Heroes system, and while it's fun it's making me really want to run a GURPS Supers game of my own (I even remade my character under GURPS, and honestly I think I was able to make her MUCH more true to my concept... That's how much I know and love GURPS compared to a d20 based system for superheroes)

So, I thought that with the amazing movies that Marvel is doing, along with Agents of SHIELD, Daredevil, and Jessica Jones I thought it might be fun to run a game like that...

While not necessarily the Marvel Universe itself (as in I'm probably not going to feature any of Marvel's characters) it will have the same feel. Heroes have just recently been made known to the general public and many are not sure what to think.

For example (small spoiler) in the first episode of Jessica Jones, as he's about to speed off, she grabs the back of a guy's car and lifts it off the ground so can't get away.

He says, "You're one of them!" and is terrified of her, so he takes the summons she's trying to deliver.

Point total would be 250-500, more leaning toward 250 but could go up to 500 at most.

It could be either Play-by-Post or Roll20. In a way, I'd prefer a roll20 game on a set night, but that can be difficult to keep going with everyone's varied time zones/schedules, so PbP might be best.

Dark Archive

So, I just noticed this... It seems to me, by the wording, say a sorcerer takes Variant Multiclass Cleric, she cannot actually spontaneously cast healing spells because healing spells are not 'the appropriate spells' on her spell list... also because she's a sorcerer does that further screw her... or is this all just bad wording and yeah she can heal?

Variant Multiclass Cleric, Pathfinder Unchained wrote:

Deity: At 1st level, she must select a deity within one alignment step of her own. She gains the cleric's aura, bonus languages, code of conduct, and restriction from casting spells of opposed alignments. She also gains the cleric's spontaneous casting ability, which she can use with any prepared casting classes that have the appropriate spells on their spell lists.


Okay, I know the analogy isn't perfect, but I mean it as a sorta joke to my question.

If someone interacts with my disguise and recognizes it as an illusion, what happens?

1. They know its an illusion, but still see it.

2. They see me in my birthday suit because I was in a hurry this morning and just threw on the hat.


So the False Focus feat can only be taken by arcane casters, but it lets them ignore up to 100g of material components by faking a divine focus.

Is there anything similar for clerics/oracles/paladins/etc? Like, they ACTUALLY have one... why can't they ignore material components too?


Okay, so first for those that don't know about it, there is a section in the Champions of Purity, Champions of Balance, and Champions of Corruption books which give some advanced (optional) alignment rules where you actually have a code of conduct to help with your roleplay. Each has 3 examples.

One of the neutral evil ones is narcissist, which is as follows.

Champions of Corruption (via d20pfsrd) wrote:

Narcissists

Narcissists see meaning and beauty in the world—but only when they look in a mirror. For narcissists, the world truly does revolve around them:

whatever makes them unhappy is a tragic injustice, and whatever pleases them is theirs by divine right.

Narcissists can be genuinely bewildered—or homicidally enraged—by suggestions that anyone else's concerns take precedence over theirs. The narcissist differs from the lawful evil tyrant in that he has no particular need for power or authority, so long as all his whims are catered to without question. It's only when those whims are denied that the true, uncaring evil of the narcissist rears its bloody head.

If you are a narcissist, you:

See everything in terms of its effect on you.
Are surprised, shocked, or disgusted when the world or other people don't cater to your expectations.
Are incapable of empathizing with others and can justify just about any horrific actions that serve your greater purpose.

Code: The universe knows what you want, so what does it expect when it doesn't it give it to you?

Now, how would a PC like that get along with a Paladin of Shelyn? The narcissist isn't about being evil for evil's sake, but she has that extreme selfishness that tends to evil.

Being so ugly on the inside yet (let's assume) beautiful on the outside, how would a paladin of Shelyn treat/work with such a person?

Dark Archive

So, as the subject says, do you actually get anything at level 1? IT says you must pick a bloodline and treat your character level as your effective sorcerer level for all powers.

Then 3rd level you get the 1st level power.

So... what do you actually GET at 1st level?


Okay, so I fully understand how negative levels affect spellcasting and attacks, skills, etc. but what about the rest? So, going to give an extreme example just to be 100% clear how such a character would be affected.

Say I am a Level 20 Witch (white-hair) Level 5 Gunslinger (techslinger) and 10 Mythic Marshal. (Yes, I am aware this is an 'epic' optional character... figured I'd add that extra 5 to witch because I DO use that optional rule that the only cap is class 20)

I am suffering a divine curse that can't be easily removed... It gives me a whopping 20 negative levels (over the course of the campaign, the levels will be slowly removed when the 'deity' that laid the curse deems it)

So, how would I be affected beyond the obvious -20 on all my attacks, CMB, etc?

Would I lose levels on my familiar? Would I LOSE my improved familiar? WOuld I lose feats, would I lose the ability to grab someone with my hair and pull them closer to me and shoot them in the face?

How would it affect the Mythic Marshal abilties, if at all (remember, it's a DIVINE curse laid by a deity... the negative levels cannot be removed until the deity who laid the curse decides I've learned my lesson)

Dark Archive

Okay, so first of all I'm talking about a character fully proficient in the katana and able to use it one-handed. So, I take Weapon Finesse and Slashing Grace (Katana).

Now, what happens when I CHOOSE to wield it two-handed? Do I multiply my Dex the same as if it was Str?

But, do I even still get to use Dex, or does the fact that I am wielding it two-handed negate the Slashing Grace feat entirely?

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Kind of what the subject says, do you think there would be anyone that knew a gray gardener's identity? Like his wife for example?


So like the subject says, technically you MUST roll your height and weight...

Note first Age says...

Age wrote:
You can choose or randomly generate your character's age. If you choose it, it must be at least the minimum age for the character's race and class (see the Random Starting Ages tables). Alternatively, roll the dice indicated for your class on the appropriate table and add the result to the minimum age of adulthood for your race to determine your character's age.

However, Height/Weight says...

Height/Weight wrote:
To determine a character's height, roll the modifier dice indicated on the appropriate Random Height & Weight table and add the result, in inches, to the base height for your character's race and gender. To determine a character's weight, multiply the result of the modifier dice by the weight multiplier and add the result to the base weight for your character's race and gender.

Note the lack of any indication that one can choose the height/weight you wish.

Now, I've never met a GM that didn't let players choose their height and weight, even going so far as to not even require the height and weight to match up (in a fantasy world, does it really matter if the bard is overweight?)

But, by the RAW... you must roll.

So, by that respect I am asking to find out are there any GM out there that are STRICT enough to require rolls for height/weight because it doesn't say you can choose?

Then, even if you do allow choosing, do you restrict it to what is possible via the table, ala age?

For example, can I make a 4'11" 103 lbs aasimar, or does my aasimar have to be at least 5'2" and weigh 95 lbs since the aasimar base is 5' 85lbs and the die roll is 2d8 x5?

Dark Archive

How do you all go about choosing a deity for a your character?

Do you simply look at the portfolio and choose regardless of what pantheon they are under, or do you limit yourself to an appropriate pantheon then decide from there?

For example, I am making a dhampir gunslinger who is a professional gambler. What deity is best for her? Why Nivi Rhombodazzle of course! But wait... she's a gnome deity, the only one in fact... worshipped by the deep gnomes... Does it really make sense for a dhampir to worship a deep gnome deity, even if said deity does have 'gambling' in her portfolio?

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.

I know others have posted their takes on Half-Dwarves over the years, and rather than necro one of theirs and step on their toes, I thought I would post my own.

Before I do however, a bit of the background I came up with for them. There are no half-dwarves. This is a generally accepted truth. However, this is only because most dwarven women pregnant with a human's child miscarry, or worse the half-dwarf is stillborn. With so few dwarven women getting pregnant with a human child in the first place, this makes the numbers even lower to the point that they are usually treated as just very short humans except by those that know of their parentage.

Half-dwarf

+2 to One Ability Score: Half-dwarf characters gain a +2 bonus to one ability score of their choice at creation to represent their varied nature.

Medium: Half-dwarves are Medium creatures and have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.

Slow and Steady: Half-dwarves have a base speed of 20 feet but their speed is never modified by armor or encumbrance.

Blessed by the Gods: If the half-dwarf's favored class is a divine spellcasting class, they can use spell trigger and spell completion items for their favored class as if one level higher (or as a 1st-level character if they have no levels in that class).

Darkvision: Half-orcs can see in the dark up to 60 feet.

Dwarf Blood: Half-dwarves count as both dwarves and humans for any effect related to race.

No Half-Dwarves: Due to the assumption that there are no half-dwarves, a half-dwarf may take 10 on Disguise checks to disguise themselves as a human, and do not suffer the -2 penalty for another race.

Survivor: Due to their high infant mortality rate, half-dwarves are survivors. They gain a +2 racial bonus on saving throws against poison, spells, and spell-like abilities. This counts as the Hardy racial trait.

Weapon Familiarity: Half-dwarves are proficient with battleaxes, heavy picks, and warhammers, and treat any weapon with the word "dwarven" in its name as a martial weapon.

Languages: Half-dwarves begin play speaking Common and Dwarven. Half-dwarves with high Intelligence scores can choose any languages they want (except secret languages, such as Druidic).

Aging: As Half-Elf

Height / Weight: Base Height as human, base weight as dwarf, both with 2d4 and x7 modifiers.

Dark Archive

I have a 12th level Hunter (feral) character in a level 12 game that I have been thinking about retraining to be a 5 Druid (reincarnated) to better fit her concept, but I'm looking also at her overall effectiveness in the long term.

I don't have much experience with druids, so what do people think. When I am level 20 (with Shaping Focus feat) will I miss that at-will wild shape, or is 8/day enough?

Dark Archive

So, I was recently on another site discussing a build that is by the rules 100% legal and it's legal with PFS as far as I can find too. However, one person was like "That wouldn't fly at my table in PFS." and so now I wonder, if your character follows all the rules, can a GM just outright say "I don't care if your character is valid and legal, I don't like it" or does that go beyond 'expect table variation'?

For reference, we were discussing how the whip is a one-handed slashing weapon, and is therefore a legal choice for a bladebound kensai magus. A bladebound kensai magus centered around the whip is going to be so pathetic for the first few levels, and even after that it's a very feat-intenstive build just to be half-way decent. But, it's legal.

Dark Archive

So, the feat Elven Spirit is PFS legal. What it does is give half-elves the Elven Magic racial trait that the elves have. It then says alternatively, you can pick any racial trait that elves may exchange Elven Magic for.

My question is, in PFS is this last line (italicized below) invalid due to the ARG restrictions, or can I make a Snowcaster Half-Elf and take "Desert Runner" with the feat?

Advanced Race Guide wrote:

Elven Spirit

Although you are of mixed heritage, you are closer to your elven relatives and the magic in their blood flows freely in your veins.

Prerequisites: Half-elf.

Benefit: You possess the elven magic racial trait of the elves, granting you a +2 racial bonus on caster level checks made to overcome spell resistance. In addition, you receive a +2 racial bonus on Spellcraft checks made to identify the properties of magic items. Alternatively, you can instead gain any one racial trait that elves can exchange for the elven magic racial trait.

Special: You can only take this feat at 1st level. If you take this feat, you cannot take the Human Spirit feat.

Dark Archive

4 people marked this as FAQ candidate.

Okay, so while normally when I ask questions it's just to get opinions, at this question I am asking specifically in regards to PFS. So, if anyone can find out or let a VC know, I would appreciate it.

Kitsune wrote:
Change Shape (Su) A kitsune can assume the appearance of a specific single human form of the same sex. The kitsune always takes this specific form when she uses this ability. A kitsune in human form cannot use her bite attack, but gains a +10 racial bonus on Disguise checks made to appear human. Changing shape is a standard action. This ability otherwise functions as alter self, except that the kitsune does not adjust her ability scores.

Pretty simple. Human of the same sex, always the same look. So, probably a Tian looking young woman. But must be human.

Realistic Likeness wrote:
You can precisely mimic the physical features of any individual you have encountered. When you use your racial change shape ability, you can attempt to take the form of an individual, granting you a +10 circumstance bonus on Disguise checks made to fool others with your impersonation.

Now, there lies the question... d20pfsrd says this...

d20pfsrd Editor's Note wrote:
The text of this feat states that you can mimic an "individual" which you have encountered, but it likely should specify that Kitsune have the ability to turn into humans, so GMs are encouraged to read the feat as follows: "You can precisely mimic the physical features of any human you have encountered..."

But, that's not official, that's just the opinion of the player who put it up on their site.

So, for PFS FAQ purposes...

Are Kitsune with the Realistic Likeness feat still limited to humans?

Dark Archive

So, when making a Bladebound magus for PFS, how does one determine the purpose of the weapon? Normally it's up the the GM, but since the GM in PFS varies, does the player get to make the decision or does the blade not have a purpose?

1 to 50 of 204 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>