Assume a wizard has dropped black tentacles on a hapless PC, we'll call him "A".
Party member A fails his check and is grappled. In the following round, A fails his check again, and Party member B heroically runs up to stand next to A, and passes his check to avoid being grappled.
On his initiative the Wizard then casts Create Pit as denoted in the bolded area below.
B B B B B
B B P A B
B B P B B
B B B B B
How do the two spells interact? More specifically:
- Do the BT’s ‘fall’ into the pit? Or do they stay level with the original height of the ground. Note that the description of create pit includes: “the pit has no weight and does not otherwise displace the original underlying material.”
- If BT’s stay level with the original ground height, do they ‘extend’ downwards into the pit per the spell effect radius?
- Will A (grappled) actually need to make a reflex save to fall, since he is grappled by BT? Or does he stay stuck above the pit?
- If party member B fails his reflex save, does he need to immediately save against BT, as he is ‘shunted’ to edge of the pit (where BT is?)
- If B fails his save and is knocked prone at the bottom, is he immediately grappled by BT?
Any clarification from more experienced GMs would be greatly appreciated.