#9-11: The Jarlsblood Witch Saga (Closed) (Inactive)

Game Master roll4initiative

Slides & Stuff

Spell Templates


101 to 150 of 400 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | next > last >>
Silver Crusade

Female NG Medium Human Fighter 3/Sister-in-Arms 3/Spellbreaker 1 | HP 59/59 | AC 21, T 12, FF 19 | CMD 19| F+10 R+4 W +7; +2 vs Fear | Init +7 | Perc +11 | Speed 30ft | Active Conditions:

Elena will appreciate the diplomacy aid you can give

Elena takes a look at the wares with interest.
"Oh, that sounds like a good idea to get. Perhaps not a wand but a scroll... In any case, we have actually come to Frostbreach to learn more about its history. Perhaps you might be able to help us out a bit. We want to understand what happened during the Jarlsblood Witch incident. Any rare tidbits or facts that are usually overlook might help as well. We are not looking to stir any trouble if you are worried about that."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (20) + 11 = 31

The Concordance

TN (she/her) samsaran witch 3/druid (urban druid) 3/mystic theurge 3

Lulari perks up as she sees all the magic wares. "It is indeed quite cold here," she smiles, snuggling into her fur collar. "I already came prepared with endure elements, but what other suggestions do you have for spells that are useful in the area? How about more niche scrolls like air bubble or monkey fish?" And she goes into a long digression about oddball uses of regular spells and more spellcraft.

Knowledge arcana: 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (15) + 17 = 32


Halflight Path | Year/Shadow Lodge

Stonefire’s Supplies
The girls

Uda Stonefire is quite impressed by Elena's politeness.
"Oh, dearie, I would never think of a lady like you wanting to stir up trouble now, dontcha know."

Uda is just as much impressed by Lulari's knowledge of magic. In fact, she seems to enjoy conversation with those that are more "magically attuned".
"I do have a wand of burning hands for sale as well. If you'll be venturing into the wilderness, many creatures are used to the cold —even immune to it— however, they are more susceptible to magical flame."

After a bit of small talk and showing off her wares, Uda offers the following information...

"With all of the hauntings around Frostbreach, most believe (but are reticent to share) that the Jarlsblood Witch is still alive and has an active hand in tormenting the people of Frostbreach. Even some members of the Trolltooth family dread the prospect of finding Kolvi alive somewhere. If they did, they would slay her and perhaps settle the feud with the Coalbraids once and for all, having at least acted to purge their family’s bad reputation. That assumes, of course, she’s still alive."

"The surviving companion of King Alvard insisted that he’d seen Kolvi use ice magic to kill their expedition, yet no one of that time had ever seen her cast a single spell. Even when accused of treachery and witchcraft, she never used magic to escape."

Liberty's Edge

Female CG Gnome Kineticist 9 | HP 128/128 | NL dmg: 27 | AC 23*, T 17*, FF 17 | CMB +6, CMD 20 | Fort +16, Ref +14, Will +6* | Init +7 | Perception +15, Sense Motive +2 | Speed 20ft | Burn: 3/9 | | IB: 0/1 | Active conditions: 3 int damage

Pai bustles about the shop, peeking at this and that item. She's well experienced enough by now to actually follow the 'look with your eyes but not your hands' rule, especially since an errant explosion *might* undermine Elena and Lulari's totally awesome fact-finding and conversation-having skills. Once Uda gets to sharing the juicy tidbits, Pai pops over and listens with eyes as big as saucers.

"Huh. Didn't that happen super long ago though? Like, if she's up and moving around after all this time, 'alive' might not be the right word for it. But if she's super powerful, then who knows! All bets are off there. Anyhoo, do you know the name of that survivor? Maybe there are records we can check to read his account ourselves. And it's super interesting that he's the only one to see her casting a spell. There's gotta be something to that." Like maybe he was framing her!

Grand Lodge

male human swashbuckler(rondelero)8/brawler 1, HP 93/93, F +8(+1 vs poison/disease), R +16, W +8, AC 28, T 20, FF 23 Init +7(+9), Per +14 Panache 6/6

Tea? Lovely idea...need something to cut the chill with...I have a few sweet biscuits left from home that would go great with them. Mykel says with a smile as he bows slightly.

I'm Mykel...my friends and I are here at the behest of the Society. We're...looking into an old happening...one that might ruffle a few feathers around here, so to speak. We have no intentions of causing any ill will...but some information recently became available that might shed new light on the issue...

diplomacy: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (14) + 12 = 26

Do you have any firm boots, by the way? I need to get a new pair...got some nasty sea water on my last pair..couldn't get them clean...

The Concordance

1 person marked this as a favorite.
TN (she/her) samsaran witch 3/druid (urban druid) 3/mystic theurge 3

"I can actually cast that spell, but something to resist cold might be really handy." Lulari purchases a scroll of resist energy [cold]. 150 gp


Halflight Path | Year/Shadow Lodge

~Stonefire's Supplies~
The girls.

Pai Shecks wrote:

Pai bustles about the shop, peeking at this and that item. She's well experienced enough by now to actually follow the 'look with your eyes but not your hands' rule, especially since an errant explosion *might* undermine Elena and Lulari's totally awesome fact-finding and conversation-having skills. Once Uda gets to sharing the juicy tidbits, Pai pops over and listens with eyes as big as saucers.

"Your little friend sure is the curious sort, isn't she?"

Uda whispers to the others with a warm-hearted smile.

Pai Shecks wrote:
"Huh. Didn't that happen super long ago though? Like, if she's up and moving around after all this time, 'alive' might not be the right word for it. But if she's super powerful, then who knows! All bets are off there. Anyhoo, do you know the name of that survivor? Maybe there are records we can check to read his account ourselves. And it's super interesting that he's the only one to see her casting a spell. There's gotta be something to that."

"He was a Coalbraid, he was."

She says with narrow eyes. Then continues,
"If there were any written records, they surely no longer exist. I have never heard of any records being kept anywhere. Our peoples' tradition lies in storytelling, which may be unfortunate for learning the truth of what really happened."

"I do wish you the best of luck with getting to the bottom of the truth. If you need supplies, I'm open an hour after sunrise to an hour before sunset."


Halflight Path | Year/Shadow Lodge

~The Troll's Hide~
The boys.

"Good heavens!” the aged leatherworker exclaims as Shidō points at his steed.
"An owlbear? My, my. That's impressive. I take it he's friendly, I hope. Well, I can create a fine saddle that should take a couple weeks. I have fine fur-lined boots, too. All sorts of fine leathers."
Standard rulebook prices.

Bringing you inside to the workshop and display area, she listens to your inquiries while sipping hot tea and munching on biscuits, then looks down in sadness.
"I am Eigma Trolltooth. Kolvi was my ancestor."

"Oh, how I wish that I had the strength to traverse these lands to find out what really happened. Luckily, I have you nice boys to help. Here is what I know..."

"The people of Frostbreach horrifically turned Kolvi's mangled body into a bloody effigy to warn Irrisen’s witches from troubling the town anymore. The effigy stood about an hour east of Frostbreach—or it did, as it’s said the body disappeared almost as soon as it was put up."

"The only companion who returned was Varmood Coalbraid, whose skin was torn in places by the lashing ice shards he swore the witch threw at him. Kolvi might have faced exile were it not for his testimony, which condemned her to a brutal execution. To this day, us Trolltooths claim that Varmood slandered Kolvi, whereas the Coalbraids insist they averted a greater disaster by ensuring the witch inflicted no more evil."

Great job, team! You gained every clue, except one that you can learn later. It is late afternoon/early evening. You can head back to the Inn for dinner & a night of rest, regroup and head out of town, or anything else that you wish to do.

Silver Crusade

Female NG Medium Human Fighter 3/Sister-in-Arms 3/Spellbreaker 1 | HP 59/59 | AC 21, T 12, FF 19 | CMD 19| F+10 R+4 W +7; +2 vs Fear | Init +7 | Perc +11 | Speed 30ft | Active Conditions:

Elena is happy to regroup at the Inn and share what they've found.

Grand Lodge

male human swashbuckler(rondelero)8/brawler 1, HP 93/93, F +8(+1 vs poison/disease), R +16, W +8, AC 28, T 20, FF 23 Init +7(+9), Per +14 Panache 6/6

That's some deep history there, ma'am...no wonder we're getting side eyes and glances as we walk through the town...I mean, aside from Shido's mount. Met a fellow with a riding gecko lizard...that was different... Mykel says as he picks out a nice pair of leather boots as well as a pair of leather pants.

Can't find this quality craftsmanship very often...if you want to open up a franchise in Absolom, I can help with that... he says with a smile.

Liberty's Edge

Female CG Gnome Kineticist 9 | HP 128/128 | NL dmg: 27 | AC 23*, T 17*, FF 17 | CMB +6, CMD 20 | Fort +16, Ref +14, Will +6* | Init +7 | Perception +15, Sense Motive +2 | Speed 20ft | Burn: 3/9 | | IB: 0/1 | Active conditions: 3 int damage

Out and about:

Uda wrote:
"He was a Coalbraid, he was."

"Ooohhhh. That's the beginning of the feud. Got it. Pity there're no records. Hey, do you have any potions of Endure Elements? I could really use one. Thanks!"

Pai will spend 50 GP on a potion of Endure Elements.

----------------------

At the Inn:

"Hey guys! How was the boys' trip? We found out that they don't keep records--it's all oral tradition here--so we don't have to spend weeks reading dusty tomes! That's both good and bad, I guess." It's easy to see why energetic Pai would dread doing so.

Silver Crusade

Female NG Medium Human Fighter 3/Sister-in-Arms 3/Spellbreaker 1 | HP 59/59 | AC 21, T 12, FF 19 | CMD 19| F+10 R+4 W +7; +2 vs Fear | Init +7 | Perc +11 | Speed 30ft | Active Conditions:

Elena will try to buy some extra veggies, spices and beef or chicken meat for the Inn's pot to liven up everyone's night.

"I think we did pretty well, if I may say! We got a very good idea where we could check next... We could check on the longhouses tomorrow just to confirm their side of the story and head to either where the witch was killed or look for where the battle between the king and her took place... They seem to believe she's either haunting or perhaps even still alive..."

Grand Lodge

male human swashbuckler(rondelero)8/brawler 1, HP 93/93, F +8(+1 vs poison/disease), R +16, W +8, AC 28, T 20, FF 23 Init +7(+9), Per +14 Panache 6/6

Mykel gives the ladies a quick rundown of their meeting with Eigma.

There is a lot of animosity here...we just have to be careful we don't upset thew cart while we're here... he says as he grabs a bowl of stew and a chunk of bread and sits down to relax.

Good thing I have a weapon that can deal with the undead...more specific the ones that aren't "real"...like phantoms and such...

The Concordance

TN (she/her) samsaran witch 3/druid (urban druid) 3/mystic theurge 3

"I think we should gather all the information we can before going out into the woods. That said, we should probably not show any favoritism if possible. These people are touchy enough as it is. I don't want to provoke open combat between them. That ends badly for everyone."


Halflight Path | Year/Shadow Lodge

Earlier, as the girls are making their way back to the inn...

The girls chat with one another about their findings as they head back to meet the boys at the inn. Artic Fox, who hasn't been very talkative, hangs back a bit as she keeps herself bundled in the chill air and stares down, shuffling her feet in the snow. Suddenly, the girls come to a stop as phantasmal figures of angry townsfolk wielding pitchforks, scythes, and torches begin to form around them.

GM Screen:

Artic Perception: 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (3) + 17 = 20
Elena Perception: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (1) + 11 = 12
Lulari Perception: 1d20 + 21 ⇒ (9) + 21 = 30
Pai Perception: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (14) + 14 = 28

Artic, Lulari, & Pai may act on the surprise round (single action only). Knowledge (religion) to identify (free action).

Liberty's Edge

Female CG Gnome Kineticist 9 | HP 128/128 | NL dmg: 27 | AC 23*, T 17*, FF 17 | CMB +6, CMD 20 | Fort +16, Ref +14, Will +6* | Init +7 | Perception +15, Sense Motive +2 | Speed 20ft | Burn: 3/9 | | IB: 0/1 | Active conditions: 3 int damage

No map, so theater of the mind?

Pai zips up 30 feet into the air so she's way out of reach of the pitchforks. "What the flippin' whoosiwhatsits?! No way!"

Religion: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7


Halflight Path | Year/Shadow Lodge

Right. No map needed.

Silver Crusade

Female NG Medium Human Fighter 3/Sister-in-Arms 3/Spellbreaker 1 | HP 59/59 | AC 21, T 12, FF 19 | CMD 19| F+10 R+4 W +7; +2 vs Fear | Init +7 | Perc +11 | Speed 30ft | Active Conditions:

Elena was too distracted thinking about tasty stews to notice the mob forming. When they are obvious she stops in her tracks. "What-!"


Halflight Path | Year/Shadow Lodge

Artic & Lulari. You're up.

The Exchange

Dhampir Inquistor of Besmara| lvl9| CN Ac 23 T 13 FF 22| HP 75/75|F9 R6 W11|Init +10|

Know religion: 1d20 + 9 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 9 + 3 = 17

If it does, would be creature type (sub type if humniod)


Halflight Path | Year/Shadow Lodge

Artic:
You realize that these aren't creatures, it is actually a haunting (CE undead) of the angry mob that executed Kolvi, The Jarlsblood Witch. You know that the only way to temporarily negate a haunt is with positive energy. You also know that one way to permanently destroy the haunt would be to put Kolvi's soul to rest. How that could be accomplished is unknown at this time.

You still get a single action in the surprise round.

The Exchange

Dhampir Inquistor of Besmara| lvl9| CN Ac 23 T 13 FF 22| HP 75/75|F9 R6 W11|Init +10|

Artic is going to pull back and move away from the group of people as she mentions to the others, "this isn't right, they aren't here, they are not a thing, we need to leave" as she tries to move quickly

The Concordance

TN (she/her) samsaran witch 3/druid (urban druid) 3/mystic theurge 3

Lulari holds up her hands to show her non-threatening nature, casts mage armor, and tries to identify what's going on.

Knowledge religion: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (1) + 11 = 12


Halflight Path | Year/Shadow Lodge

~THE JARLSBLOOD WITCH TRIAL~

Shocked by the appearance of ghostly figures manifesting, Pai shoots up into the air.
Artic Fox makes a run for it, bolting back the way the girls came from.
Lulari throws her hands up in a non-threatening gesture, then casts a protective spell. She cannot recall what these phantom figures are.
Elena is preoccupied in thought about having hot stew and mulled wine for dinner back at the inn.

Within moments, dozens of ghostly Ulfen townsfolk crowd around you as they shout accusations...

“You killed our king!”

“You’ve betrayed Frostbreach!”

“Always knew you had ice magic in
you."

...or simply chanting “Witch!”

Meanwhile, a heavily armored Ulfen man approaches Elena and Lulari with a large hunting knife in hand. Both figures, identical in all respects, pushes each of you to your knees as if to execute you. Desperation and despair wash over you as it appears that you are about to have your throat cut by a phantom executioner.
Elena & Lulari need to make two DC 18 Will saves.

If you fail the first save:
You are confused as per the spell. Roll on the confusion chart at the beginning of your turn.

If you fail the second save:
Bad stuff happens. You'll find out later.

Initiative:

Elena*: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 18
Pai: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 10
Lulari: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7
Artic: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (19) + 10 = 29
Witch Trial: 0 + 10 = 10
*Elena can provide Seize the Initiative to an ally (Roll twice, take better).

Round 1: Artic, Elena, & Pai may act!
Artic:
Elena:
Pai:
Witch Trial:
Lulari:


Halflight Path | Year/Shadow Lodge

~THE LINNORM'S TALE INN~

Meanwhile, back at the inn, Ifan waves in greeting as Mykel and Shido enter. The two take a seat at a table near the back wall. Being close to dinnertime, the inn is a bit more livelier than earlier in the day. Conversation and light laughter fills the warm dining hall as locals enjoy their meals. Server girls hustle about clearing tables, serving drinks, and ladling more stew into empty bowls.

Silver Crusade

Female NG Medium Human Fighter 3/Sister-in-Arms 3/Spellbreaker 1 | HP 59/59 | AC 21, T 12, FF 19 | CMD 19| F+10 R+4 W +7; +2 vs Fear | Init +7 | Perc +11 | Speed 30ft | Active Conditions:

"This-! This is not real! This is just an echo-!" Elena grits her teeth trying to break free from the influence of the haunt. If able, she will move out the area as soon as she gets the chance with a move action and draw her wand of CLW.

Will save: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23
Will save Strong-Willed: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20
Roll twice and take best result vs Mind-affecting spells.
+1 vs haunts

Elena provides Lulari with Seize the Initiative.

The Exchange

Dhampir Inquistor of Besmara| lvl9| CN Ac 23 T 13 FF 22| HP 75/75|F9 R6 W11|Init +10|

at her range she turns and sees one flying in the air as she casts Disrupts undead at the haunt have a 45' range, and looks like I am with in it

ranged touch: 1d20 + 6 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 6 + 1 = 11
Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 5

as her fingers starts to burn a bit from the positive energy running through her as she casts

"oww oww s%#! f%*!, damn this f!!!ing thing, why does it have to be something that I have to burn with as well"

as you can just see her wrapping her fingers from a bit of pain

Grand Lodge

male human swashbuckler(rondelero)8/brawler 1, HP 93/93, F +8(+1 vs poison/disease), R +16, W +8, AC 28, T 20, FF 23 Init +7(+9), Per +14 Panache 6/6

This lifestyle could be very easy to get accustomed to. Not as flashy and pretentious as back in Absolom or even Cassomir...I like it... Mykel says as he drinks a flagon of whatever the local mead is.

Sovereign Court

Male Nagaji Cavalier (Beast Rider, Gendarme, Order of the Warrior) 7 HP 67/67 | AC 29 T 12 FF 28 | CMB +12 CMD 23 | F +8 R +4 W +4 (+2 vs. M-A, poison, fear) | Init +7 | Per +3 SM +5 | Dailies: Challenge 2/3 Honor in All Things 1/1 Glorymane's Bite 3/3 | 1 Reroll | Active Conditions: None

"That is the truth," Shidou replies, raising a tankard. "Though I'm not sure that I could get used to the cold. Scales are not as well adapted for that as fur.

"I hope the others are doing all right. It shouldn't be too much trouble to talk to some people, but they are taking their time about it. Maybe we should save them some food." He punctuates that comment with another large bite of stew.

The Concordance

TN (she/her) samsaran witch 3/druid (urban druid) 3/mystic theurge 3

Being an actual witch, Lulari is understandably terrified. "No. I will not!" as she tries to stand against the hands pushing her down.

Will: 1d20 + 18 ⇒ (18) + 18 = 36
Will: 1d20 + 18 ⇒ (5) + 18 = 23

Grand Lodge

male human swashbuckler(rondelero)8/brawler 1, HP 93/93, F +8(+1 vs poison/disease), R +16, W +8, AC 28, T 20, FF 23 Init +7(+9), Per +14 Panache 6/6

True...never took that into account. I can see that being a down side to living here. Mykel nods as Shido makes his point.

Yeah, hopefully they won't be too long. This stew is great..really sticks to your ribs. And Pai will need to get her energy up...she'll likely have talked the others to death...and wore herself out in the process...

Liberty's Edge

Female CG Gnome Kineticist 9 | HP 128/128 | NL dmg: 27 | AC 23*, T 17*, FF 17 | CMB +6, CMD 20 | Fort +16, Ref +14, Will +6* | Init +7 | Perception +15, Sense Motive +2 | Speed 20ft | Burn: 3/9 | | IB: 0/1 | Active conditions: 3 int damage

"...and wore herself out in the process..." Hahahaha! You're so funny, Mykel!

Pai's eyes go wide as the ghostly figures move to execute her new best friends. "Oh boopin' fudge no! Die again you flippin' snot shards!" She sends a blast of electricity toward the ghosty threatening Elena, then shouts at the one threatening Lulari: "You're next, rock turd!"

Electric blast vs. Touch AC: 1d20 + 13 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 13 + 1 = 234d6 + 3 + 1 ⇒ (4, 2, 4, 1) + 3 + 1 = 15
Includes Point Blank Shot and Precise Shot


Halflight Path | Year/Shadow Lodge

~THE JARLSBLOOD WITCH TRIAL~

Elena and Lulari stand their ground as the phantom executioner's knife comes down.
The two iron-willed women know this is a shade of the past, one that cannot harm them.

Artic Fox, from far back, fires a bolt of positive energy at a group of phantasmal townsfolk. The group shimmers, then disappears.

Flying overhead, Pai shoots a bolt of electricity down into the area. Unfortunately, it has no effect on the angry mob of phantom townsfolk.

The crowd continues shouting accusations with the intermittent "Witch!”. After a few moments, the entire scene fades away. You glance about at one another, stunned in silence, the chill evening air blowing snow about.

The girls hurry back to the safety of the cozy tavern where they find Mykel and Shidō at a table enjoying their hot stew.

The second save was to overcome a pretty nasty curse.

Sovereign Court

Male Nagaji Cavalier (Beast Rider, Gendarme, Order of the Warrior) 7 HP 67/67 | AC 29 T 12 FF 28 | CMB +12 CMD 23 | F +8 R +4 W +4 (+2 vs. M-A, poison, fear) | Init +7 | Per +3 SM +5 | Dailies: Challenge 2/3 Honor in All Things 1/1 Glorymane's Bite 3/3 | 1 Reroll | Active Conditions: None

"Oh, good, you're back. Another few minutes and there wouldn't have been any stew left for you. You didn't run into any problems, did you?"

Grand Lodge

male human swashbuckler(rondelero)8/brawler 1, HP 93/93, F +8(+1 vs poison/disease), R +16, W +8, AC 28, T 20, FF 23 Init +7(+9), Per +14 Panache 6/6

Pull up a chair...we thought you guys got lost... Mykel says as he gets up to get a couple of chairs for the ladies. he sees the looks on their faces as he does.

What...you guys look like you've seen a ghost...

Liberty's Edge

Female CG Gnome Kineticist 9 | HP 128/128 | NL dmg: 27 | AC 23*, T 17*, FF 17 | CMB +6, CMD 20 | Fort +16, Ref +14, Will +6* | Init +7 | Perception +15, Sense Motive +2 | Speed 20ft | Burn: 3/9 | | IB: 0/1 | Active conditions: 3 int damage

"Oh ha ha. We did, actually. It was really freaky! Basically, it was a haunt that showed the angry mob that killed Kolvi, but they targeted Elena and Lulari! It was super creepy. And, like, there wasn't even a trial. It was just all: 'There she is! Kill her!' I mean, I get being pissed off that she brought back just your king's head and all, but be civilized for cripes' sake!" Pai's babbling only slows when she begins shoving lukewarm stew into her face. "Mmmm! 'S so good! Mmmf!" (Civilized, indeed.)


Halflight Path | Year/Shadow Lodge

~THE LINNORM'S TALE INN~

A server girl approaches to take the orders of the girls that just arrived. With Pai already shoveling stew into her face, she turns to the other girls.
"What'll it be, ladies? Fish stew? Fish with herbs and butter? Pan-seared fish? Grilled fish? Fish on a stick?"
The server girl pauses as she glances around and notices the girls still have anxious looks on their faces.
"If'n you don't want fish, we have baked winter squash." she says with a smile.
The server's face then turns to a look of worry.
"Wait a moment. Did you say 'haunt'?"
She glances at Pai and the other girls.
"Oh, no. You weren't tormented by that ghost, were you?"

The Exchange

Dhampir Inquistor of Besmara| lvl9| CN Ac 23 T 13 FF 22| HP 75/75|F9 R6 W11|Init +10|

"damned thing, hard enough to deal with just living undead, now just damned remnants of undead......." as she takes out her hand and unwraps it as the burn from positive energy fades away

Grand Lodge

male human swashbuckler(rondelero)8/brawler 1, HP 93/93, F +8(+1 vs poison/disease), R +16, W +8, AC 28, T 20, FF 23 Init +7(+9), Per +14 Panache 6/6

Well, that sounds...eventful. More information we can add to what we already know or can assume. Was anyone hurt?

Silver Crusade

Female NG Medium Human Fighter 3/Sister-in-Arms 3/Spellbreaker 1 | HP 59/59 | AC 21, T 12, FF 19 | CMD 19| F+10 R+4 W +7; +2 vs Fear | Init +7 | Perc +11 | Speed 30ft | Active Conditions:

"We are fine. I had seen haunts like that before. Still, awful stuff... Just another reason to want a nice warm meal."

Elena turns to the inn keeper.
"Has this been happening a lot? We heard there were a few apparatitions but this felt... too violent."


Halflight Path | Year/Shadow Lodge
Elena Endari wrote:

"We are fine. I had seen haunts like that before. Still, awful stuff... Just another reason to want a nice warm meal."

Elena turns to the inn keeper.
"Has this been happening a lot? We heard there were a few apparatitions but this felt... too violent."

Ifan the Innkeeper is at the bar, btw.

"About once or twice a year, someone in town gets spooked by a ghostly vision or faerie lights. From what your friend there says, though, to witness a ghostly mob and the execution of Kolvi, now that's unheard of."
He leans in to whisper,
"Best to not bring up her name. Too much talk about it and strange things begin to happen... like the hauntings.
He glances up and points subtly at the wind chime hanging from the corner post above the bar.
"Which is why we have those. Many homes have chimes to sense the ill wind that might blow if the witch hears their gossip."
He then gives a wink and a slight chuckle as if it's just superstition.

Grand Lodge

male human swashbuckler(rondelero)8/brawler 1, HP 93/93, F +8(+1 vs poison/disease), R +16, W +8, AC 28, T 20, FF 23 Init +7(+9), Per +14 Panache 6/6

This is why you always tip the barkeep and staff well...they know a lot more than you think. Thanks Ifan. the Taldan says as he fishes out a few coins for the group's meal, with a generous tip.

The Concordance

TN (she/her) samsaran witch 3/druid (urban druid) 3/mystic theurge 3

Lulari flops into a chair and huddles as if she still feels the chill from outside. She looks up at the server, wide-eyed. "Ssssstew, ppplease." she stutters with cold and fright.

As the fish stew warms her face, she begins to uncurl, picking up a spoonful and daintily sipping it. "Yes, ghosties and ghoulies and long-legged beasties and things that go bump in the night. You should warn a person about that!" She wraps her hands around the bowl and huddles where the steam brings color back into her cheeks.

Liberty's Edge

Female CG Gnome Kineticist 9 | HP 128/128 | NL dmg: 27 | AC 23*, T 17*, FF 17 | CMB +6, CMD 20 | Fort +16, Ref +14, Will +6* | Init +7 | Perception +15, Sense Motive +2 | Speed 20ft | Burn: 3/9 | | IB: 0/1 | Active conditions: 3 int damage

"Oh Lulari!" Pai abandons her empty bowl and pops up to give the witch a hug. "It's gonna be okay. We'll figure out what happened, and all that stuff will get put to rest and you won't have to worry about it ever again! Just stick with us until we're done so you don't have to face anything alone, okay?"

Turning quickly as if a thought just yanked her back to the conversation, Pai asks the locals: "What exactly do folks usually see when they see something? 'Cauuussse... you know. This was terrifying."


Halflight Path | Year/Shadow Lodge
Pai Shecks wrote:
Turning quickly as if a thought just yanked her back to the conversation, Pai asks the locals: "What exactly do folks usually see when they see something? 'Cauuussse... you know. This was terrifying."

An Ulfen woodsman with bits of fish caught in his thick brown beard leans over from the next table and speaks with a mouthful of stew, accentuating his words with jabs of his spoon. "My coushin, Alferd, broke hish leg runnin' from a ghosht witch. Said she had a nose as long as a carrot and big fangsh."

Another local speaks up,
"I saw strange multi-colored lights sparkling in the air! Was in the shape of a woman, they was! Floated around for a few moments then just disappeared!"

Grand Lodge

male human swashbuckler(rondelero)8/brawler 1, HP 93/93, F +8(+1 vs poison/disease), R +16, W +8, AC 28, T 20, FF 23 Init +7(+9), Per +14 Panache 6/6

Well, perhaps we should go see what we can find out about these sightings...they are obviously connected somehow...


Halflight Path | Year/Shadow Lodge

As Mirja the server girl clears some plates from your table, she offers one bit of useful information...
"Kolvi was an ancestor of the Trolltooths, and some feel sorry that the family carries the black mark of her misdeeds to this day. The family insists that Kolvi was innocent, yet the common belief is that if she were guiltless, all of the hauntings and misfortunes wouldn’t have befallen Frostbreach."

After some chit-chat and light conversation, Ifan announces the tavern will be closing in an hour. Those that have rooms (you) are welcome to relax in the main room and finish off any leftover stew in the pot before retiring to your rooms. Ifan sets a pot of herbal tea by the fire for you as well.

At closing time, the locals shuffle out leaving the place quiet and, besides Ifan and the staff, all to yourselves.

You have learned every bit of information there is to know. Next step is to plan on what you're going to do tomorrow after a good night's sleep.

Silver Crusade

Female NG Medium Human Fighter 3/Sister-in-Arms 3/Spellbreaker 1 | HP 59/59 | AC 21, T 12, FF 19 | CMD 19| F+10 R+4 W +7; +2 vs Fear | Init +7 | Perc +11 | Speed 30ft | Active Conditions:

"They say that if she were guiltless there wouldn't be any hauntings. I got my share experience with Haunts and I can almost guarantee it would be the opposite. Tormented souls by injustice can do as much harm. Either way... if her spirit lingers and has turned violent, we should put her rest as soon as possible."

Grand Lodge

male human swashbuckler(rondelero)8/brawler 1, HP 93/93, F +8(+1 vs poison/disease), R +16, W +8, AC 28, T 20, FF 23 Init +7(+9), Per +14 Panache 6/6

Well, we'll form a plan at breakfast...get a good night's sleep and try not to dwell on the happening from earlier... Mykel says as he grabs a large mug of the tea and heads to his room.

Liberty's Edge

Female CG Gnome Kineticist 9 | HP 128/128 | NL dmg: 27 | AC 23*, T 17*, FF 17 | CMB +6, CMD 20 | Fort +16, Ref +14, Will +6* | Init +7 | Perception +15, Sense Motive +2 | Speed 20ft | Burn: 3/9 | | IB: 0/1 | Active conditions: 3 int damage

After the townsfolk have left, Pai huffs: "You know, I can make a light that's shaped like a woman. It's not that hard. Get a few folks who can do that and Boom!" She demonstrates by casting Dancing Lights. "Instant floaty-woman-light. So that one's no big deal. At least, not by itself anyway. And I bet that if she really had big fangs and a nose as long as a carrot, everyone would've mentioned it as part of the legend, 'cause that's weird." Pai switches topics quickly enough to give her listeners conversational whiplash. "I second Mykel's suggestion. Sleep first. Maybe after tea and some soothing something-or-other. Make plans over breakfast." She flicks a concerned glance at Lulari, hoping she doesn't have awful nightmares tonight.

Pai doesn't know that we've found all the clues, so she'll vote to talk to the families before heading out into the wilds.

101 to 150 of 400 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / #9-11: The Jarlsblood Witch Saga (Closed) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.