PFS1 #3-10: The Immortal Conundrum - GM: I'm DMing In Your Closet (Inactive)

Game Master noral

Maps and Handouts


101 to 150 of 237 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>

The Immortal Conundrum: maps, etc.

“Of course,” is the best Ofarah can manage this time. She seems pleased enough with Arnold's answer, but mostly just confused.

The servants clear the table once more, and bring out several large hookahs, filling the room with the scent of Molthuni rose-infused tobacco.

As they do so, both Yala Witchbane and Amenopheus rise and decline the after-dinner smoke in favor of an early departure, each thanking Ofarah and wishing all remaining guests well.

That out of the way, the hostess turns to the elf beside her.

“Finally, my old friend Ceralan,” She announces between puffs of her personal hookah. “Either time has changed your timeless features or muddied my own memory, for I feel as though we are total strangers now. I mean, I don't think it's this weak Molthuni stuff...*cough!* Tell me of a time we spent together in Lamasara in my youth, that others can share in our friendship!”

The elf blinks silently for a moment as if in deep thought. “Why, my lady, our memories are our own. Perhaps our fine guests would rather we discuss something they too hold dear: a sentiment from childhood, or a memory held in the forefront of the mind? What about you, my dear?” He says with a gesture to his left.

Sense Motive DC 15:
Ofarah seems genuinely confused by Ceralan's buck-passing.

Andor, break a leg!

Grand Lodge

male human swashbuckler(rondelero)8/brawler 1, HP 93/93, F +8(+1 vs poison/disease), R +16, W +8, AC 28, T 20, FF 23 Init +7(+9), Per +14 Panache 6/6

sense: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (19) + 10 = 29
Mykel raises an eyebrow slightly as the elf deflects the conversation. He patiently awaits Lady Ofarah's next thoughts.

Scarab Sages

Male CG Kitsune (in vulpine form) from the Forest of Spirits in Tian Xia | Swashbuckler 1 / Investigator 9 | Resistances: Elec. 3, Acid 3, Fire 2, Cold 2 | Init +8 | HP 94/94 | ‘Serang' Familiar HP 47/47 | Normal: Panache 7/7 | Inspiration 10/10 | Extend Potion 6/6 | AC 28 (30 vs. Traps), T 18 FF 21| CMB +16 (with Rapier), CMD 22 (24 Disarm) | F: +10, R: +18 (+20 vs. traps), W: +12 (+14 vs. illusions) | Boots of Speed 10/10 | Perc +24 (+28 vs. traps), Dipl +19 | Low-light vision | Speed 30 | Active cond.: none

Sense Motive : 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (19) + 17 = 36

“My childhood?“ Andor says with some hesitation. He does not want to make a bad impression and honesty is often the best ingredient to forge a bond.

He looks at Ofarah and begins. “Being a quintuplet is not easy. Especially when your mother is a Kitsune that fled Cheliax years ago as a pregnant woman with five unborn babies in her belly. Well, her husband was willing to sacrifice her unborn children to close a deal with a devil. You know … it sounds better when I say „ her husband“ because I do not have to say … „my father“!“ he says and swallows hard.

“We grew up near Palin's Cove, an industrial town near Korvosa in southeast Varisia. Out of fear our mother gave us a herbal mixture sourced from a Varisian witch that hindered us to take our natural fox form but also made us physically weak. Even if a sudden transformation happened we were never allowed to look at our red fur in the mirror … let alone tell anybody what we were!“ and he looks at the vulpine form he is in now.

“As a kid I was always a little too protective … and so full of guilt … and although I did not know why, I knew something was missing. Today I know that my dead mother only wanted to protect us. Maybe if we understood what a dangerous man our father was, we would have paid more attention to her teachings ... maybe then not only she but also our eldest sister would still be alive!!?“ and tears are visible in his eyes.

“It took my uncle Xiao two weeks to find my two brothers, my sister and I in our vulpine forms somewhere in the woods north of the Falcon River. It was also surprising for us that we had a relative that was a Halfling – after all we did not even properly know what we were so accepting uncle Xiao was easy.“ and he touches his pendant.

“None of us remember much of the travel to Tian Xiao except of the lonely hearts that longed for our mother and sister. Although uncle Xiao was always with us, we were all very frightened when we arrived in the village we later all called home … Leng Hao, a village full of Kitsune and Halflings in the Forest of Spirits east of Hongal. But please do not believe that we were welcomed with open arms. We were Kitsune that could not properly change into their natural form, looked like the barbaric human invaders from Avistan and did not even speak Tien … I do not need continue, do I? Religion never really meant much to our mother but Xiao waited some time but eventually taught us the lessons of Chaldira and our eyes opened to all the possibilities in the world … and we got along better with the halfling community that thought it was funny that we were followers of a Halfling goddess. Well, the rest is a story that I think one of my siblings has to tell … “

Dark Archive

Female Halfling Druid-4/Warpriest-1 | HP-37 | AC-17 | F-9, R-4, W-11 | Per-10, SM-7 Dip-5

Prilla discretely uses druidic orisons to keep the smoke away from her.

But she seems so moved by Andor's story that she hops down from her chair and gives him a discrete and gentle hug. before returning to her chair, blushing from what she just did - but it seemed to her, to be the right thing to do.

sm: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 9

Sovereign Court

Male Half-Elf HP83/83|AC 19(+3/+1)/T12/FF17|F+11/R+12/W+10|BAB+8|Init +4|Diplo+33 Battle Herald 4/Vig(Avenger) 2/Bard(Arcane Duelist)1/Cav 1/Rgr (Guild breaker) 1

SM: 1d20 ⇒ 16

Scarab Sages

Male CG Kitsune (in vulpine form) from the Forest of Spirits in Tian Xia | Swashbuckler 1 / Investigator 9 | Resistances: Elec. 3, Acid 3, Fire 2, Cold 2 | Init +8 | HP 94/94 | ‘Serang' Familiar HP 47/47 | Normal: Panache 7/7 | Inspiration 10/10 | Extend Potion 6/6 | AC 28 (30 vs. Traps), T 18 FF 21| CMB +16 (with Rapier), CMD 22 (24 Disarm) | F: +10, R: +18 (+20 vs. traps), W: +12 (+14 vs. illusions) | Boots of Speed 10/10 | Perc +24 (+28 vs. traps), Dipl +19 | Low-light vision | Speed 30 | Active cond.: none

Andor smiles at Prilla and is clearly thankful for her affectionate hug which helps to come back to the present and concentrate on the dinner.

Dark Archive

Female Halfling Druid-4/Warpriest-1 | HP-37 | AC-17 | F-9, R-4, W-11 | Per-10, SM-7 Dip-5

Prilla shyly smiles back. She then holds up one finger, points to herself, then holds up two additional fingers, one on each side of the original finger. She's basically trying to say she's the middle child in a set of triplets.

Scarab Sages

Male CG Kitsune (in vulpine form) from the Forest of Spirits in Tian Xia | Swashbuckler 1 / Investigator 9 | Resistances: Elec. 3, Acid 3, Fire 2, Cold 2 | Init +8 | HP 94/94 | ‘Serang' Familiar HP 47/47 | Normal: Panache 7/7 | Inspiration 10/10 | Extend Potion 6/6 | AC 28 (30 vs. Traps), T 18 FF 21| CMB +16 (with Rapier), CMD 22 (24 Disarm) | F: +10, R: +18 (+20 vs. traps), W: +12 (+14 vs. illusions) | Boots of Speed 10/10 | Perc +24 (+28 vs. traps), Dipl +19 | Low-light vision | Speed 30 | Active cond.: none

Andor‘s eyes open in wonder.

He starts writing on a piece of paper. ”Middle!“


The Immortal Conundrum: maps, etc.

Ofarah and Ceralan listen to Andor's story with growing looks of confusion and concern on their faces, both sets of eyes swiveling rapidly between Andor and each other. Ofarah shifts in her seat - the first time you've seen her do so all evening - and even some of the servants can barely conceal their cringes.

Meanwhile, Zarta Dralneen, Aaqir al’Hakam, and Lady Gloriana all rise slowly from their seats, issue polite goodbyes, and exit with a rather more hurried movement.

...:

Perc(Andor): 1d20 + 22 ⇒ (15) + 22 = 37
Perc(Lorian): 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 2 = 11
Perc(Arnold): 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (1) + 10 = 11
Perc (Claudia): 1d20 ⇒ 20
Perc (Mykel): 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (5) + 11 = 16
Perc(Prilla): 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (6) + 10 = 16
Perc(Syl’las): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (1) + 9 = 10

Andor and Claudia ONLY:
You notice Ceralan make a hand signal to one of the lead servants.

“My humble hostess,” Ceralan suddenly clears the silence left by Andor's tale and the other guests' exodus. "I have a question for you before you retire to your chambers..."

"...If given the choice of dying of old age, or being swiftly murdered by a killer you never saw coming, which fate would you choose?"

The Lioness pauses for a moment before a look of realization fills her face, her eyes growing wider than some of the evening's tableware.

"That’s what I thought!" The elf laughs, before rising to his full height - only now can you see he had been deliberately slouching the whole evening so as to conceal his true, vigorous physique - and not so much punching Ofarah as stabbing her with his bare fingers, across the solar plexus!

Roll for initiative, b##+!es!!!:
A: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 22
Ini(Andor): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11
Ini(Lorian): 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5
Init(Arnold): 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7
Init(Claudia): 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9
Init(Mykel): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (12) + 9 = 21
Init(Prilla): 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 1 = 12
Init(Syl’las): 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13
sA: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5

3-finger shocker-blocker!: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 22
Sneak Attack...and worse..!: 1d3 + 1 + 4d6 ⇒ (1) + 1 + (2, 1, 3, 4) = 12

Wait, why does Ofarah need to make a Fortitude save?!?: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (16) + 10 = 26

It's a good thing "the Lioness" is tough as nails, because she's otherwise been caught completely unprepared and defenseless!

Andor and Claudia, this is a SURPRISE ROUND and you both get to act in it - NOW!

As you can see, we are now on a grid.

Scarab Sages

Male CG Kitsune (in vulpine form) from the Forest of Spirits in Tian Xia | Swashbuckler 1 / Investigator 9 | Resistances: Elec. 3, Acid 3, Fire 2, Cold 2 | Init +8 | HP 94/94 | ‘Serang' Familiar HP 47/47 | Normal: Panache 7/7 | Inspiration 10/10 | Extend Potion 6/6 | AC 28 (30 vs. Traps), T 18 FF 21| CMB +16 (with Rapier), CMD 22 (24 Disarm) | F: +10, R: +18 (+20 vs. traps), W: +12 (+14 vs. illusions) | Boots of Speed 10/10 | Perc +24 (+28 vs. traps), Dipl +19 | Low-light vision | Speed 30 | Active cond.: none

I cannot see the grid on the map. Is that me or is there no grid?

Andor 5ft steps back. He drinks his mutagen.

Mutagen Dex +4 / Wis -2 effects: +2 to hit and damage and AC from Dex, +2 natural armor, -1 Will saves etc from Wis.
Swift action Studied Combat on the elf with quick study: 1/2 investigator level as an insight bonus on melee attack rolls and as a bonus on damage rolls against the creature.

Should Andor be attacked, he parries and ripostes with an Immediate Action.

Parry, Bite, mutagen : 1d20 + 13 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 13 + 2 = 32 +4 studied combat if the elf is affected

Riposte to hit, Bite, mutagen : 1d20 + 13 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 13 + 2 = 33 +4 studied combat if the elf is affected
Riposte damage, Bite, mutagen : 1d4 + 6 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 6 + 2 = 9 +4 studied combat if the elf is affected

Scarab Sages

Grippli Magus 8 | HP 56/56 | AC 25, T 17, FF 20 | F: +7 R: +7, W: +7 | Perc +1 | Init +9

Claudia moves closer to the problem.


The Immortal Conundrum: maps, etc.
Andor Katsu wrote:
I cannot see the grid on the map. Is that me or is there no grid?

Looks to me like its you; there should be a grid.

The elf presses his attack, smashing his hookah on the side of the table with what is no doubt a well-practiced gesture, giving it a nasty-looking cutting edge!

Completely unprepared for this and with neither arms nor armor, Ofarah resorts to dodging and deflection while shouting for the guards (full defense)...

broken hookah, Catch Off-Guard vs Ofarah: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27
Sneak Attack: 1d6 + 1 + 4d6 ⇒ (1) + 1 + (1, 1, 5, 4) = 13

...but to little avail just yet, as her assailant scores a gash across her arm.

ROUND 1 - FIGHT!
Ofarah -25

The party is now up, one and all!

Scarab Sages

Male CG Kitsune (in vulpine form) from the Forest of Spirits in Tian Xia | Swashbuckler 1 / Investigator 9 | Resistances: Elec. 3, Acid 3, Fire 2, Cold 2 | Init +8 | HP 94/94 | ‘Serang' Familiar HP 47/47 | Normal: Panache 7/7 | Inspiration 10/10 | Extend Potion 6/6 | AC 28 (30 vs. Traps), T 18 FF 21| CMB +16 (with Rapier), CMD 22 (24 Disarm) | F: +10, R: +18 (+20 vs. traps), W: +12 (+14 vs. illusions) | Boots of Speed 10/10 | Perc +24 (+28 vs. traps), Dipl +19 | Low-light vision | Speed 30 | Active cond.: none

I can see the grid on the map now!

Andor uses his swordmaster‘s flair blue scarf to gain reach.

Swift action to activate and bite has +5 ft reach so 10 ft now.

AC is 31 due to mutagen.

Andor attacks the elf!

Primary Bite to hit, mutagen +2, +4 studied combat : 1d20 + 13 + 2 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 13 + 2 + 4 = 30
Bite damage, mutagen +2, +4 studied combat : 1d4 + 6 + 2 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 6 + 2 + 4 = 13

Secondary Bite to hit, mutagen +2, +4 studied combat : -5 + 1d20 + 13 + 2 + 4 ⇒ -5 + (18) + 13 + 2 + 4 = 32
Bite damage, mutagen +2, +4 studied combat : 1d4 + 6 + 2 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 6 + 2 + 4 = 16

-

Should Andor be attacked, he parries and ripostes with an Immediate Action.

Parry, Bite, mutagen : 1d20 + 13 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 13 + 2 = 26 +4 studied combat if the elf is affected

Riposte to hit, Bite, mutagen : 1d20 + 13 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 13 + 2 = 34 +4 studied combat if the elf is affected
Riposte damage, Bite, mutagen : 1d4 + 6 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 6 + 2 = 10 +4 studied combat if the elf is affected

Grand Lodge

male human swashbuckler(rondelero)8/brawler 1, HP 93/93, F +8(+1 vs poison/disease), R +16, W +8, AC 28, T 20, FF 23 Init +7(+9), Per +14 Panache 6/6

Son of a motherless goat...defend Lady Ofarah! Mykel yells as he hops up on the table and quickly unties the knot.5ft step to hop up on table, full round to untie the knot if i remember correctly...

Silver Crusade

Male Wayang Fighter 7/Brawler 1 | HP 75/75 | AC 23/13/18 | F +11, R +8, W +5 (+2 vs. shadow, +2 vs. mind-affecting)| Init +2 | Perc +10 | Conditions: Dragon Style
The Friz:
Female Wallaby Familiar (mauler) 7 | HP 37/37 | AC 18/12/16 | F +7, R +6, W +2 (improved evasion) | Perc +7 | Active Conditions: Battle Form, Dragon Style

Arnold nearly crashes out of his chair at the combined surprise of an assassination and the sudden break in atmosphere. But he quickly recovers. The wayang assumes a Jade Ogre pose and hurls himself forward to sock the elf back for Ofarah.

Activating Dragon Style, move, then attack.

Unarmed Strike: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (10) + 15 = 25
Nonlethal Damage: 1d4 + 18 ⇒ (2) + 18 = 20

Sovereign Court

Female LN Vishkanya Rogue (Deadly Courtesan) 5 | HP 33/33 | AC 18; T 13; FF 15; CMD 16(21 vs Grapple and Reposition) | Fort +4; Ref +9; Will +4 | Init: +3 | Perc: +9(+11 to locate traps), SM: +6 | Speed 30ft | Toxic 1/1; Bardic Performance 7/7 | Active conditions: None

Syl'las moves over, flicking her wrist to release the hidden dagger, and slashes at the elf.

dagger: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21
piercing damage: 1d4 ⇒ 3
If it is a hit and does damage, need a DC 15 fort save or be subjected to red tears.

Sovereign Court

Male Half-Elf HP83/83|AC 19(+3/+1)/T12/FF17|F+11/R+12/W+10|BAB+8|Init +4|Diplo+33 Battle Herald 4/Vig(Avenger) 2/Bard(Arcane Duelist)1/Cav 1/Rgr (Guild breaker) 1

Wow, that is a powerful punch there Arnold.
Lorin shook his head at the disruption of protocol. "Once again, another fine dinner interrupted by an assassination attempt." he said after taking a puff from the pipe. Reaching over, he grabbed the hookah, pointed it at the assassins face, and blew real hard into the pipe, spraying hot embers at the foe.
Spray Hookah embers on assassin: 1d20 ⇒ 16
I guess a touch attack with -4 for an improvised weapon. +5 for BAB and +2 for Dex, so a 19 touch?

Silver Crusade

Male Wayang Fighter 7/Brawler 1 | HP 75/75 | AC 23/13/18 | F +11, R +8, W +5 (+2 vs. shadow, +2 vs. mind-affecting)| Init +2 | Perc +10 | Conditions: Dragon Style
The Friz:
Female Wallaby Familiar (mauler) 7 | HP 37/37 | AC 18/12/16 | F +7, R +6, W +2 (improved evasion) | Perc +7 | Active Conditions: Battle Form, Dragon Style

Power Attack and Dragon Jade Ogre Style make things go crazy!

"Does this really happen often? Ugh. I suppose that's why they sent me along."

Sovereign Court

Female LN Vishkanya Rogue (Deadly Courtesan) 5 | HP 33/33 | AC 18; T 13; FF 15; CMD 16(21 vs Grapple and Reposition) | Fort +4; Ref +9; Will +4 | Init: +3 | Perc: +9(+11 to locate traps), SM: +6 | Speed 30ft | Toxic 1/1; Bardic Performance 7/7 | Active conditions: None

"Ha...you should have been at the wedding" Syl'las says over the combat.

Dark Archive

Female Halfling Druid-4/Warpriest-1 | HP-37 | AC-17 | F-9, R-4, W-11 | Per-10, SM-7 Dip-5

Prilla runs around the table, or if there's room, under the table, and casts Cure Light Wounds on Lady Ofarah

clw: 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6

((Since that's from the druid side - I guess the warpriest level doesn't count))

Scarab Sages

Grippli Magus 8 | HP 56/56 | AC 25, T 17, FF 20 | F: +7 R: +7, W: +7 | Perc +1 | Init +9

What are the people in the top row, with the dark red background? Since they're red, they may be enemies, but I don't want to attack an innocent bystander... I may have missed something where we were told what they are.


The Immortal Conundrum: maps, etc.

@Claudia: You did notice Ceralan make a hand signal to them before he struck; they haven't done anything yet...do bear in mind you'd only have a split-second in-game to think about this.

Fortitude save vs poison: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5
Red tears damage: 1d6 ⇒ 3

Syl'las's envenomed dagger comes as a complete surprise to the assassin, and the pain of the strange toxin, on top of his other injuries, causes him to collapse!

@Lorian: Ceralan technically fell before it got to you; would you like to turn your hookah against somebody else, or do something else entirely with your action?

ROUND 1 - ongoing...
Ofarah -19
Ceralan - 55, unconscious and dying
Claudia?
Lorian?

Sovereign Court

Male Half-Elf HP83/83|AC 19(+3/+1)/T12/FF17|F+11/R+12/W+10|BAB+8|Init +4|Diplo+33 Battle Herald 4/Vig(Avenger) 2/Bard(Arcane Duelist)1/Cav 1/Rgr (Guild breaker) 1

With the assassin down, Lorian moved to protect Ofarah. "No one move. For your protection. he said to Ofarah before shoving her under the table. Anyone moves, drop them! he commanded to the adventurers
Reposition Ofarah under table: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 28
I guess that worked. Move her under the table and 5' step to block anyone else from getting to her. Move action Inspiring command Sound the charge (+1 to attack/damage, +5" if you charge).

Scarab Sages

Grippli Magus 8 | HP 56/56 | AC 25, T 17, FF 20 | F: +7 R: +7, W: +7 | Perc +1 | Init +9

Claudia makes magical gestures, and then her tongue sticks out and taps the nearest of the bad servants. using agile tongue feat which allows delivering touch attacks with tongue from 10 feet away

cast spell is shocking grasp

touch attack: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (5) + 10 = 15
another +3 to attack if there is metal armor hidden under the clothing
damage: 6d6 ⇒ (4, 4, 6, 6, 5, 4) = 29


The Immortal Conundrum: maps, etc.

Claudia, may I ask how you are managing to do 6d6 damage with shocking grasp? The cap is normally 5d6.

Either way:

"Oh, a wiseguy, eh?!?" Grumbles one of the servants as he and another step forward to surround Lorian - it seems Ceralan did indeed hire some help!

Improved Unarmed Strike, flank vs Lorian: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15

Lorian easily veers away from the assault of the one...

Improved Unarmed Strike, flank vs Lorian: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24
Sneak Attack!: 1d3 + 1 + 2d6 ⇒ (2) + 1 + (4, 4) = 11

...only to get a nasty jab to the face from the other!

Claudia manages to fry the third, but he remains standing long enough to stagger to the side and knock back a potion! This DOES provoke, if any of you can reach him.

potion of cure moderate wounds: 2d8 + 3 ⇒ (1, 5) + 3 = 9

Ceralan's 2nd Fortitude save vs poison: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12
Red Tears damage: 1d6 ⇒ 2

This means the whole party is back up...so I'll say you thoroughly kick their asses by this point.

let's say 1 of them has a 25% chance to make use of his invisibility potion and get away: 1d100 ⇒ 47

Though the 'help' proves as dedicated as their leader, the assassination attempt is quickly foiled. Upon "Ceralan's" dying body you find the following note:

"Abroziel,

Your next assignment is to impersonate a fellow named Ceralan in order to infiltrate the Thuvian Embassy and eliminate the Lioness of Lamasara, Ofarah Ohatepe. We believe she plans to violate the laws of Thuvia and tamper with the outcome of her city’s forthcoming auction. This cannot be tolerated. We have planted three fellow assassins among the newly-hired serving staff for the dinner; when you make your move, they will support you. The true Ceralan does not know our true intentions, but he owed us significantly for past favors and loans, and when we told him that responding to the invitation but not going to the party itself would remove his outstanding debts, he jumped at the chance.

Be swift and merciless,
- K"

You also find the following loot:
+2 Studded Leather
3 suits of +1 Padded Armor
Ring of Protection +1
composite longbow (+1 Str)
3 potions of invisibility
2 potions of cure moderate wounds
a small purse with 50 gp

"'Abroziel'," Reflects Ofarah as she reads the note with you. "I can't say I know the name. I was so confused; at least it wasn't my dear Ceralan."

The embassy guards arrive too little, much too late, having all been too occupied escorting the other guests out and undoing their peacebonds to have heard the call for help. They remove the dead, and secure the unconscious for interrogation.

"As for you," Ofarah continues, "I can of course hardly thank you enough for your aid. If you will come with me to the upper floors, I can offer you a more complete explanation, and more than ample recompense for your efforts."

Mykel:
Reading the assassin's letter reminds you of the letter you'd previously received from Venture-Captain Valsin; as far as that little detail is concerned, it may be now or never.

You follow Ofarah up to her sumptuous chambers, opulently bedecked in fine silks, soft pillows, and ostentatious gold and platinum decorations.

"Thank you again for your efforts in preventing my untimely demise. As recompense for your deeds, I offer you the prize that motivated this entire party:
Every year, villains and madmen, generally rich from their
own evil ways, bid against one another for the sacred Sun Orchid Elixir produced and distributed solely by my homeland of Thuvia. I tire of seeing the people of the world suffer because those most able to win our auctions are those who wish to do their subjects harm. This year, however, I’m going to ensure that a noble and worthy candidate has a true shot at winning a draught of the elixir, stealing it from the lips of the vile.
Each Lamasaran city has a secret vault in which it keeps records of past auctions and other valuables. The locations, names, and contents of these vaults are kept hidden even from other Thuvian cities to ensure no one city ever gains more power than the others. Lamasara’s vault is called the Conundrum, and were one to gain access to it, the information one would find within could prove invaluable. If one could navigate the tests and traps therein, and survive the guardians placed there to watch over our most treasured secrets, the information in the vault would be available to do with as one pleased. It would be illegal for me to divulge this information to anyone, but there are some situations the law does not cover.
Here, each of you take one of these potions. It will turn your form into that of mere vapor, and will allow you to pass through this Ring Gate to the Conundrum. There you will find a set of identical potions to allow you to return. More than this I cannot offer you. I simply wish you luck, and send you on your way."

Ofarah hands each of you a vial, which is indeed a potion of gaseous form; she even has a few extra for anyone who happens to have a Companion or Familiar they would wish to take with them through the Ring Gate.

Thus passing through, you find yourselves in a round chamber dominated by the presence of a fifteen-foot-tall steel orchid blossom. The orchid’s bladelike petals stretch toward the room’s ceiling and remain closed, each covered in intricate engravings in strange scripts. Four passages exit the chamber, one in each direction. A Ring Gate, identical to the one you just entered, hangs on the northeastern wall.

Perception DC 10:
In the center of each of the four largest petals, is an identical inset. It appears something belongs in them.

Aquan, Auran, Ignan, or Terran:
The etchings on the petals recount thousands of poems.

For each of the above languages nobody in the party can understand, you may instead make me a DC 15 Knowledge (Planes) or Linguistics check.

Unless stated otherwise, the walls of the Conundrum are hewn stone, and the doors are 15-foot-wide iron trapezoids that swing outward. The ceilings stretch to a height of 20 feet. There is no natural light, but there are torch sconces throughout that if lit, cast the vault in dim light.

noral/Andor:
I could use your help again updating the slides and installing this new map.

Grand Lodge

male human swashbuckler(rondelero)8/brawler 1, HP 93/93, F +8(+1 vs poison/disease), R +16, W +8, AC 28, T 20, FF 23 Init +7(+9), Per +14 Panache 6/6

I think I just might swear off formal engagements from now on...by the Gods... Mykel says after everything has calmed down. He sits down to take a breath and a large swig of whatever liquor happens to be near. He feels around in his pockets for a moment, and remembers his other directive.

Lady Ofarah...a moment of your time, if you please. It's nothing serious...just don't want a huge audience... he says a bit nervously.

gm:

Once away from the excitement, he produces the small box. I was told to give you this on behalf of my superiors, as a token of esteem and respect. Who ever called for this to be made is a person of taste...it truly suits you...frames your features nigh perfect.

diplomacy: 1d20 + 11 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 11 + 2 = 21

I remember meeting another Garundi woman at the Blakros'...wedding. I think that is a charitable term to deem that wreck. Rubaani Shafar was her name. She took the blame for what happened there...but it wasn't her fault.

Sovereign Court

Male Half-Elf HP83/83|AC 19(+3/+1)/T12/FF17|F+11/R+12/W+10|BAB+8|Init +4|Diplo+33 Battle Herald 4/Vig(Avenger) 2/Bard(Arcane Duelist)1/Cav 1/Rgr (Guild breaker) 1

Perception: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7
Lorian looked at the petals and started to describe the poems in the four languages that they were composed with on the tree. "That is beautiful poetry." he said as he started to jot down some of them in his journal, one in each language.

Dark Archive

Female Halfling Druid-4/Warpriest-1 | HP-37 | AC-17 | F-9, R-4, W-11 | Per-10, SM-7 Dip-5

Prilla will actually stabilise the dying assassin - mainly so he can be taken away to face justice.

After passing through the Ring Gate with her animal companion ...
perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (14) + 10 = 24

linguistics: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7 aquan
linguistics: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (18) + 3 = 21 auran
linguistics: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5 ignan
linguistics: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 3 = 15 terran

She also makes a mental note to learn Auran

Grand Lodge

male human swashbuckler(rondelero)8/brawler 1, HP 93/93, F +8(+1 vs poison/disease), R +16, W +8, AC 28, T 20, FF 23 Init +7(+9), Per +14 Panache 6/6

forgot to add earoier, can i poach one each of the CMW and fly pots?

Sovereign Court

Male Half-Elf HP83/83|AC 19(+3/+1)/T12/FF17|F+11/R+12/W+10|BAB+8|Init +4|Diplo+33 Battle Herald 4/Vig(Avenger) 2/Bard(Arcane Duelist)1/Cav 1/Rgr (Guild breaker) 1

Slight retcon. I thought the tree was in her office
Lorian was pleased that the matter was quickly wrapped up. "If you will forgive me, I have to report this incident to my Embassy." he said and then paused in thought. I know of someone that would enjoy a trip to the planes. I am not sure if his horse will but I will send him to assist you in this matter, he is much better in battle than I am. His name is Minata Ryuunosuke, a half elf from Tien." he said, thanking the group for saving Lady Ofarah before departing.

Sovereign Court

Male Half-elf HP71/75|AC 21(24)/T12/FF19|F+10/R+12/W+9|BAB+8|Init +4|Diplo+29 Battle Herald 4/Vig(Avenger) 2/Bard(Arcane Duelist)1/Cav 1/Rgr (Guild breaker) 1

20 minutes later, there is a knock on the door and a person wearing o'yoroi armor with a ho-ate shaped like that of an Oni covered his face. In common, with a Tien accent, he presented himself. "Greetings, I am Minata Ryuunosuke, I was sent by the Marquise to help deal with a possible problem. May I join you and if I can, my mount is outside." he said with a bow to the assembled. "The marquise told me a bit about you but we can use this time to get to know each other" he said to the group.

Silver Crusade

Male Wayang Fighter 7/Brawler 1 | HP 75/75 | AC 23/13/18 | F +11, R +8, W +5 (+2 vs. shadow, +2 vs. mind-affecting)| Init +2 | Perc +10 | Conditions: Dragon Style
The Friz:
Female Wallaby Familiar (mauler) 7 | HP 37/37 | AC 18/12/16 | F +7, R +6, W +2 (improved evasion) | Perc +7 | Active Conditions: Battle Form, Dragon Style

Arnold is glad to have been of help. Moreover, he's happy that there's more to do, and in a less stuffy environment. He unbinds his weapons and retrieves his wallaby ally from the stables before pronouncing himself ready.

Once he is back in a solid form, the wayang takes a bit to look around in wonder. Then he's back to business, jumping into the saddle with his lance. "Shall we? I'll leave the traps aside, but the guardians won't give me or our new friend problems."

Scarab Sages

Grippli Magus 8 | HP 56/56 | AC 25, T 17, FF 20 | F: +7 R: +7, W: +7 | Perc +1 | Init +9

You're right about the spell, and that's a really embarassing mistakes to have made.

Claudia is glad they have done good; her big brother Tad would be proud of her. She drinks her potion and stays near her friends.

Scarab Sages

Male CG Kitsune (in vulpine form) from the Forest of Spirits in Tian Xia | Swashbuckler 1 / Investigator 9 | Resistances: Elec. 3, Acid 3, Fire 2, Cold 2 | Init +8 | HP 94/94 | ‘Serang' Familiar HP 47/47 | Normal: Panache 7/7 | Inspiration 10/10 | Extend Potion 6/6 | AC 28 (30 vs. Traps), T 18 FF 21| CMB +16 (with Rapier), CMD 22 (24 Disarm) | F: +10, R: +18 (+20 vs. traps), W: +12 (+14 vs. illusions) | Boots of Speed 10/10 | Perc +24 (+28 vs. traps), Dipl +19 | Low-light vision | Speed 30 | Active cond.: none

Andor is glad that everything turned out well and he tries to wash the blood from his fur with water from the table.

"We are grateful for the oportunity you are providing to us lioness! We will not disappoint you! It is my greatest wish to prevent further suffering of the common people on Golarion and preventing tyrants to live and live is definitely a great chance!" Andors says.

Andor will use an hour to brew another mutagen. He drinks the mutagen before going in.

* * *

Andor also gives his flying fox familiar, who was hiding in his jacket, the potion to be able to enter the conundrum.

Auto succeed perception and know the languages.

Andor starts to systematically search for traps.

GM, please assume that Andor checks for traps and walks slowly. Make a perception check for him if a trap is present please with +26 modifier for traps.

Dark Archive

Female Halfling Druid-4/Warpriest-1 | HP-37 | AC-17 | F-9, R-4, W-11 | Per-10, SM-7 Dip-5

Prilla wanders over to Andor and asks shyly and quietly Would you like to come and visit my other two siblings? We live together at the moment.


The Immortal Conundrum: maps, etc.

There are no traps in this room; however, closer examination of the great metal orchid reveals hundreds of gears and hinges connecting the petals and holding them firmly in place; suggesting to you that the flower’s four largest petals could be meant to fold down and open...under the right circumstances.

What now, party? See the uncovered portion (chamber A1) of Slide #1; I have placed your tokens, please place those of any companions with the marker of your choice.

Grand Lodge

male human swashbuckler(rondelero)8/brawler 1, HP 93/93, F +8(+1 vs poison/disease), R +16, W +8, AC 28, T 20, FF 23 Init +7(+9), Per +14 Panache 6/6

So...which way? Pick one and go around from there? How about this way... Mykel says pointing to the passage closest to him.

Scarab Sages

Male CG Kitsune (in vulpine form) from the Forest of Spirits in Tian Xia | Swashbuckler 1 / Investigator 9 | Resistances: Elec. 3, Acid 3, Fire 2, Cold 2 | Init +8 | HP 94/94 | ‘Serang' Familiar HP 47/47 | Normal: Panache 7/7 | Inspiration 10/10 | Extend Potion 6/6 | AC 28 (30 vs. Traps), T 18 FF 21| CMB +16 (with Rapier), CMD 22 (24 Disarm) | F: +10, R: +18 (+20 vs. traps), W: +12 (+14 vs. illusions) | Boots of Speed 10/10 | Perc +24 (+28 vs. traps), Dipl +19 | Low-light vision | Speed 30 | Active cond.: none

Andor looks at the petals and tries to find out how they work.

Disable Device to find out more: 1d20 + 23 ⇒ (6) + 23 = 29

Int check: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14

Wis check: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7


The Immortal Conundrum: maps, etc.

As stands, direct tinkering with this miracle of artifice seems damned-near impossible...or at least, maddeningly improbable; it feels like the engineering equivalent of haggling with a genie (for all you know, such dealings may have been involved in its construction!).

Scarab Sages

Male CG Kitsune (in vulpine form) from the Forest of Spirits in Tian Xia | Swashbuckler 1 / Investigator 9 | Resistances: Elec. 3, Acid 3, Fire 2, Cold 2 | Init +8 | HP 94/94 | ‘Serang' Familiar HP 47/47 | Normal: Panache 7/7 | Inspiration 10/10 | Extend Potion 6/6 | AC 28 (30 vs. Traps), T 18 FF 21| CMB +16 (with Rapier), CMD 22 (24 Disarm) | F: +10, R: +18 (+20 vs. traps), W: +12 (+14 vs. illusions) | Boots of Speed 10/10 | Perc +24 (+28 vs. traps), Dipl +19 | Low-light vision | Speed 30 | Active cond.: none

Andor shrugs and walks to the north to investigate what lies ahead.

"We will check for this device later I would propose!" he says and walks forward.

Silver Crusade

Male Wayang Fighter 7/Brawler 1 | HP 75/75 | AC 23/13/18 | F +11, R +8, W +5 (+2 vs. shadow, +2 vs. mind-affecting)| Init +2 | Perc +10 | Conditions: Dragon Style
The Friz:
Female Wallaby Familiar (mauler) 7 | HP 37/37 | AC 18/12/16 | F +7, R +6, W +2 (improved evasion) | Perc +7 | Active Conditions: Battle Form, Dragon Style

Arnold nods at Mykel's suggestion and prepares to forge ahead, lance at the ready.

How does our front line look? If we're confident on that score, I might move further back in the marching order. That way I can protect from a potential ambush, and charge better.

Scarab Sages

Male CG Kitsune (in vulpine form) from the Forest of Spirits in Tian Xia | Swashbuckler 1 / Investigator 9 | Resistances: Elec. 3, Acid 3, Fire 2, Cold 2 | Init +8 | HP 94/94 | ‘Serang' Familiar HP 47/47 | Normal: Panache 7/7 | Inspiration 10/10 | Extend Potion 6/6 | AC 28 (30 vs. Traps), T 18 FF 21| CMB +16 (with Rapier), CMD 22 (24 Disarm) | F: +10, R: +18 (+20 vs. traps), W: +12 (+14 vs. illusions) | Boots of Speed 10/10 | Perc +24 (+28 vs. traps), Dipl +19 | Low-light vision | Speed 30 | Active cond.: none
Prilla Frost wrote:
Prilla wanders over to Andor and asks shyly and quietly Would you like to come and visit my other two siblings? We live together at the moment.

Earlier ...

Andor is quite surprised by this question.

"Ehh ... well ... Prilla, this kind of you. But .. but I am honest that I do not even find enough time to see my own siblings with all the time I spend on missions. I ... I have to decline this kind offer of yours." he says with some hesitation.

Dark Archive

Female Halfling Druid-4/Warpriest-1 | HP-37 | AC-17 | F-9, R-4, W-11 | Per-10, SM-7 Dip-5

Prilla nods at Andor's reply then wanders off a bit. She's actually not sure about this mechanical flower. She'd rather be around real ones. Mechanisms and stuff like what Andor is doing is more her sister's forte.

So she waits by her dire bat until the rest of the party have completed their examination and have decided which way to go.

Grand Lodge

male human swashbuckler(rondelero)8/brawler 1, HP 93/93, F +8(+1 vs poison/disease), R +16, W +8, AC 28, T 20, FF 23 Init +7(+9), Per +14 Panache 6/6

If you want, I can always introduce you to my brothers and sister. They're a bit rambunctious, but handy in a fight. My cousins on the other hand...don't get on the wrong side of..especially Vanna...she's trouble. Saw her start and finish a brawl at a tavern once.. She didn't take kindly to some fool grabbing her backside. Broke the fools nose with a backhand slap. Then the fun started...only Therinors were standing at the end of that one...

i'm cool with being the point guy...makes sense to have our back covered...

Scarab Sages

Grippli Magus 8 | HP 56/56 | AC 25, T 17, FF 20 | F: +7 R: +7, W: +7 | Perc +1 | Init +9

Claudia is probably better in the second row, but can be in front if really needed.

Dark Archive

Female Halfling Druid-4/Warpriest-1 | HP-37 | AC-17 | F-9, R-4, W-11 | Per-10, SM-7 Dip-5

Who was that to Mykel?

Grand Lodge

male human swashbuckler(rondelero)8/brawler 1, HP 93/93, F +8(+1 vs poison/disease), R +16, W +8, AC 28, T 20, FF 23 Init +7(+9), Per +14 Panache 6/6

my bad...thought you two were talking in the background...didn't realize it was just for you two...sorry...must have missed something in the posts.


The Immortal Conundrum: maps, etc.

Alright, northward ho....

In the chamber before you, twelve five-foot-diameter darkwood columns jut up at varying heights from...this seemingly floorless room. While random, the columns offer a hazardous path to a raised platform thirty-five feet away. Decorating the far wall, a giant carved face leers across the open chasm, as if mocking potential trespassers.

Andor:
You readily-enough notice that some of the columns before you (marked with red) are of far frailer construction than others. Any more weight upon them than - oh, 50 lbs., you'd estimate? - and they'd likely be crushed to splinters. It stands to reason that there'd be more of these ahead, but you can't judge the other columns from this distance.

What do you do?

Scarab Sages

Male CG Kitsune (in vulpine form) from the Forest of Spirits in Tian Xia | Swashbuckler 1 / Investigator 9 | Resistances: Elec. 3, Acid 3, Fire 2, Cold 2 | Init +8 | HP 94/94 | ‘Serang' Familiar HP 47/47 | Normal: Panache 7/7 | Inspiration 10/10 | Extend Potion 6/6 | AC 28 (30 vs. Traps), T 18 FF 21| CMB +16 (with Rapier), CMD 22 (24 Disarm) | F: +10, R: +18 (+20 vs. traps), W: +12 (+14 vs. illusions) | Boots of Speed 10/10 | Perc +24 (+28 vs. traps), Dipl +19 | Low-light vision | Speed 30 | Active cond.: none

Andor jumps to the column he regards as safe.

He then checks the columns to see which are safe.

Then he continues as given above.

Acrobatics to jump to the next column: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (17) + 15 = 32
Perception to check next columns: 1d20 + 22 ⇒ (14) + 22 = 36 +4 additionally to detect traps.

-

Acrobatics to jump to the next column: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (9) + 15 = 24
Perception to check next columns: 1d20 + 22 ⇒ (16) + 22 = 38 +4 additionally to detect traps.

-

Acrobatics to jump to the next column: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (10) + 15 = 25
Perception to check next columns: 1d20 + 22 ⇒ (5) + 22 = 27 +4 additionally to detect traps.

-

Acrobatics to jump to the next column: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (6) + 15 = 21
Perception to check next columns: 1d20 + 22 ⇒ (12) + 22 = 34 +4 additionally to detect traps.

* * *

When he has arrived at the other side, he checks the far wall with the giant carved face.

Perception carved face: 1d20 + 22 ⇒ (18) + 22 = 40 +4 additionally to detect traps.


The Immortal Conundrum: maps, etc.

It's actually Knowledge (Engineering) to judge the columns, but the DC is so pathetic you need hardly even try.

Andor effortlessly hops across the way, where he finds the leering face clutches a clear diamond between its teeth.

He also notices the face is actually a magical trap (I'm not sure, offhand, what it would take for you to know the details, but under the circumstances, there's no harm in me just giving it to you): Apparently, the thing can 'see' magic, and would have greeted a flying intruder with a blast of greater dispel magic!

1 to 50 of 237 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / PFS1 #3-10: The Immortal Conundrum - GM: I'm DMing In Your Closet All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.