Enemy in Shadows - Warhammer Fantasy

Game Master Aubster

First published in 1986, Enemy in Shadows is an updated version of one of the most iconic campaigns in RPG history.


1 to 50 of 1,415 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

The striking fortress-town of Ubersreik is situated between the gloomy Grey Mountains and the depths of the Reikwald Forest. The town guards the Grey Lady Pass through to Bretonnia, and is one of the busiest trading centres of the Empire. A mighty, Dwarf-built bridge that spans the red waters of the River Teufel stands at its centre. This impressive crossing connects important trade roads from across the Empire and beyond.

However, for all its importance, Ubersreik is in turmoil. Sigismund von Jungfreud, its former duke, was recently stripped of his title by the Emperor for uncertain reasons. Those perceived as too loyal to the old duke were removed from office, leaving a power vacuum that’s yet to be filled. Soldiers from the distant
capital of Altdorf now patrol the town and the surrounding province. This stirs deep resentment from suspicious locals. Nevertheless, life continues unabated, and you find yourselves in Ubersreik’s bustling Market Square on a glorious spring morning, searching for a decent breakfast. Unless there’s something else you would rather buy?

See the discussion thread for notes about shopping


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Dwarven Miner Damage (0) Wounds (19) Fate (3) Fortune (3/3) Resilience (2) Resolve (2/2) Movement (3) Armor (1) WS: 50 (60 2handed) BS: 24 STR: 50 T: 50 Init: 25 Ag: 20 Dex: 38 Int: 32 WP: 48 Fel: 21 (+10 dawi)

A rather bedraggled dwarf wandered through the market, looking about unhappily. He had simple clothes for traveling and a small pack with what was left of his worldly possessions. Left was the key word. Nothing had gone right since he had left the mountains. First his pick had gone missing. His pick! He suspected grobi, or thaggoraki. If something unexplainable went wrong it was usually their fault. And what was a miner without a pick? A prospector.

And at the moment he was a poor prospector. He had nearly gotten into a fight to the death defending a find, only to discover that the spot was a bust. All he had to his name was seven copper. Seven! He was probably the poorest dwarf in the Grey Mountains, and that was saying something.

But his pride was too great to head home. To hear his father’s “I-told-you-so” was worse that going hungry. What he had to do was find a way to make enough coin to buy a new pick. And from there? Find enough work to get back on his feet. Because that was the Ironhammer way! It was just that...this was a strange land full of strange people. And in the bustling market, he felt more than a bit lost.


Human Priest (Initiate) Damage (0) Wounds (12) Resilience (3) Resolve (3) Movement (4) WS: 39 BS: 29 STR: 31 T: 31 Init: 34 Ag: 40 Dex: 32 Int: 32 WP: 37 Fel: 28

dot for the moment


Landolf Gersun von Ubersreik | Male Reiklander Scion | Wounds 13/13 | Initiative 40 | Fencing 42 / Dodge 40 | Fortune 2/5 | Fate 4/4 | Resolve/Resilience 3/3 | Armor: Body 1 / Arms 1 / Legs 1 | Corruption: 2

As Landolf marched through the streets of Ubersreik, he couldn't help but keep an awed smile off his face. Even the dour mood of the townsfolk about him couldn't stop his gawking. Landolf had been to Ubersreik before, but always trailing one of his older brothers on some errand set by their father. For the first time in his life, Landolf felt free. He could go where he wanted and do as he pleased, and somehow that made the city seem fresh and new.

As the press of the crowd guided him toward a collection of market stalls on the side of the street, Landolf also realized that his newfound freedom meant that no one would see after him either. He was hungry. No time for that now. The first order of business is to find work before hungry becomes starving. He would work up his way from the bottom: as low as he had to go to find himself a future and a ship.

Hiking his sling over his shoulder, he readied himself to push through the thick crowds. The docks should be over that way, I think.


Darkest quickly realizes that even though the Marktplatz is always busy when he has seen it before, it is overflowing today with crowds.

Both Valghaz and Darkest easily notice that most of the bustling crowd is human but there are a fair number of Dwarfs which make up almost 20% of the towns population and even a good representation of Halflings. It’s difficult to not constantly be buffeted from all sides as you meander.

Brightly coloured stalls lie to all sides as merchants hawk their wares to the thronging crowds. Cries of ”Get your chickens here, real live chickens” and ”pies, hot pies” and ”best leather armor in Ubersreik for sale” along with other cries from the multitude of stalls fills the air. You inhale the delicious aroma of smoked meats, fresh baked bread, and buttery ale as you walk and gawk. You hear music play at the edge of the market and applause mixes with cheers as musicians entertain the masses. The imposing statue of Magnus the Pious, a famous emperor from the past, looks over the crowd at the centre of the Marketplatz.

Tight knots of ever-present Altdorf soldiers in blue and red livery watch and are given a wide berth by the rest of the crowd.


Landolf Gersun von Ubersreik | Male Reiklander Scion | Wounds 13/13 | Initiative 40 | Fencing 42 / Dodge 40 | Fortune 2/5 | Fate 4/4 | Resolve/Resilience 3/3 | Armor: Body 1 / Arms 1 / Legs 1 | Corruption: 2

Landolf attempts to make his way through the thick crowds in the direction he thinks the river docks are located, intending to look for work. The markets are tempting, but he needs to preserve the few clips he has until he can find employment.


Dwarven Miner Damage (0) Wounds (19) Fate (3) Fortune (3/3) Resilience (2) Resolve (2/2) Movement (3) Armor (1) WS: 50 (60 2handed) BS: 24 STR: 50 T: 50 Init: 25 Ag: 20 Dex: 38 Int: 32 WP: 48 Fel: 21 (+10 dawi)

Valghaz, for his part, goes looking to find any dwarf who might be sympathetic enough to point him in the right direction to find work. Preferably someone who looked like they got their hands dirty. Not the well-dressed artisans or merchants who wouldn’t give him the time of day.


Human Priest (Initiate) Damage (0) Wounds (12) Resilience (3) Resolve (3) Movement (4) WS: 39 BS: 29 STR: 31 T: 31 Init: 34 Ag: 40 Dex: 32 Int: 32 WP: 37 Fel: 28

Xavier looks over the waves of humanity wandering the marktplatz and smiled. This is a place where life is lived and people experience real joys and sorrows. Altdorf always felt like he was part of a play...doing his part, but nothing more...just going through the motions of life. As well the temple was a stagnant pool of old men who gripped onto their positions harder than to life itself, but here...here he had a chance to make a difference.

He had arrived with the last group of soldiers being transferred to the city. The political upheaval had made the Temple of Wise Verena, the Goddess of Learning and Justice an important hub of activity. Court cases came and went, as well as investigations and the call for justice from all walks of life...yes this was just the place for him.

Having settled into the temple already, Xavier wandered the town, taking in the sights and familiarizing himself with the various districts.


Darkest Doomed wrote:
Landolf attempts to make his way through the thick crowds in the direction he thinks the river docks are located, intending to look for work. The markets are tempting, but he needs to preserve the few clips he has until he can find employment.

Landolf feels a small body bump into his legs. Looking down he sees a young halfling that peers up and him and gives him a warm smile. "Sorry 'bout that guv...it's just so hard to keep my balance amongst all you big-uns"

Landolf please make a perception skill roll


Valghaz Ironhammer wrote:
Valghaz, for his part, goes looking to find any dwarf who might be sympathetic enough to point him in the right direction to find work. Preferably someone who looked like they got their hands dirty. Not the well-dressed artisans or merchants who wouldn’t give him the time of day.

Valghaz you see a group of Dwarfs standing inside a brightly coloured tent that stands out in the heaving market place. Near the middle of the hustle and bustle of the Marketplatz, the striped tent holds a glass-makers stall. Under the awning, spinning, glass sculptures reflect light in all directions, catching the eye. Drinking goblets with twin-tailed comets cunningly worked into their depths stand on freestanding shelves. Between these, fanciful sculptures of monsters, faeries, knights, and dragons prowl. The Dwarfs are talking with a statuesque Human woman in her 40s with silver-streaked, blonde hair. Her eyes are different colours: one is bright blue; the other — clearly made of glass — is amber shot through with emerald swirls.


Xavier March wrote:

Xavier looks over the waves of humanity wandering the marktplatz and smiled. This is a place where life is lived and people experience real joys and sorrows. Altdorf always felt like he was part of a play...doing his part, but nothing more...just going through the motions of life. As well the temple was a stagnant pool of old men who gripped onto their positions harder than to life itself, but here...here he had a chance to make a difference.

He had arrived with the last group of soldiers being transferred to the city. The political upheaval had made the Temple of Wise Verena, the Goddess of Learning and Justice an important hub of activity. Court cases came and went, as well as investigations and the call for justice from all walks of life...yes this was just the place for him.

Having settled into the temple already, Xavier wandered the town, taking in the sights and familiarizing himself with the various districts.

"Priest, Priest! Please come over here and help us settle a dispute" yells a fat man standing in front of the pie stall.


Human Priest (Initiate) Damage (0) Wounds (12) Resilience (3) Resolve (3) Movement (4) WS: 39 BS: 29 STR: 31 T: 31 Init: 34 Ag: 40 Dex: 32 Int: 32 WP: 37 Fel: 28

Xavier smiles and moves towards the fat man at the pie stall.

"How can this humble follower of Verena assist you this day?"


Advisor (Aide) Wounds:14/14 Resolve:3/3 Fortune:2/3 WS:38 BS:35 S:33 T:40 Init:34 AG:30 DEX:31 Int: 30 WP:30 FEL:38

Ruprecht had come down the trade road from Altdorf, having visited with some cousins, hoping to find employment appropriate to his abilities there.

However, only disappointment was found and he decided to journey down to Nuln, where a friend of his father's lived.

He entered Ubersreik in the company of regulars from Aldorf, learning from them the fate of the former Duke and the possibilities for an ambitious, capable young man in the city.

Deciding to stay and examine his options, Ruprecht was making a circuit of the MarketPlatz, smiling at the pretty maids, exchanging greeting with burghers and tradepeople, trying to gauge the character of the political situation...

Gossip:43: 1d100 ⇒ 17 That's a SL +3, I believe


Dwarven Miner Damage (0) Wounds (19) Fate (3) Fortune (3/3) Resilience (2) Resolve (2/2) Movement (3) Armor (1) WS: 50 (60 2handed) BS: 24 STR: 50 T: 50 Init: 25 Ag: 20 Dex: 38 Int: 32 WP: 48 Fel: 21 (+10 dawi)

Valghaz watched the dwarfs, and waited for them to finish their business to approach. As he watched, he tried to get a sense as to what their trade was, who was in charge, and in general as much as he could about them...and the woman they were talking to.

Intuition: 1d100 - 30 ⇒ (49) - 30 = 19 Failure unless considered easy

Once he had decided whom was best to talk to, he approached.

”Oi! Hello there. Name’s Valghaz, Clan Ironhammer. At the service of you and yours. I’m new to town, came here cause the mines are dry and urks make opening new ones impossible without a throng. Grobi stole me pick on the way to town and I’m short on coin and tools. So I’m looking for work to get back on me feet. Can ye point me in the right direction? First time amongst the manlings so I’m a wee bit lost in the dark.”

Charm?: 1d100 - 21 ⇒ (3) - 21 = -18 1 degree before difficulty


Xavier March wrote:

Xavier smiles and moves towards the fat man at the pie stall.

"How can this humble follower of Verena assist you this day?"

The fat man, red faced with anger points an accusing finger at the pie vendor and shoves a partially eaten pie in your face. "LOOK AT THIS! LOOK AT WHAT HE'S SERVING IN HIS PIES!!!". The fat man points out a partially chewed piece of meat that appears to be a rat claw, but a rat claw the size of a human finger. "And now he REFUSES to give me MY MONEY BACK!!"

The pie man tries to calmly explain to you, "I thinks that that tub of lard planted the obviously faked "rat claw" and even if he didn't the sign clearly advertises meat pies. I makes no promise on what kind of meat. So why should I have to give him anything back?"

Both men look at Xavier anxious to hear his decision.


Ruprecht Scheinfelder wrote:

Ruprecht had come down the trade road from Altdorf, having visited with some cousins, hoping to find employment appropriate to his abilities there.

However, only disappointment was found and he decided to journey down to Nuln, where a friend of his father's lived.

He entered Ubersreik in the company of regulars from Aldorf, learning from them the fate of the former Duke and the possibilities for an ambitious, capable young man in the city.

Deciding to stay and examine his options, Ruprecht was making a circuit of the MarketPlatz, smiling at the pretty maids, exchanging greeting with burghers and tradepeople, trying to gauge the character of the political situation...

[dice=Gossip:43]1d100 That's a SL +3, I believe

Walking the market you hear the following:

1) When the Jungfreuds withdrew ahead of the advancing Altdorf armies, they took hundreds of loyalists with them, draining several town districts as they fled to the nearby duchy of Black Rock.
2) The Town Watch is run by the Altdorf military, and is keen to stamp out the vestiges of any loyalty to the deposed Jungfreuds. However, the soldier’s lack of familiarity with the town has allowed crime to flourish.
3) Jungfreud loyalists are still being captured and hung from the bridge.
4) Most people miss the Jungfreuds, don’t trust the Altdorfs and don’t believe they’ve been told the truth about why the change in government happened.


Valghaz Ironhammer wrote:

Valghaz watched the dwarfs, and waited for them to finish their business to approach. As he watched, he tried to get a sense as to what their trade was, who was in charge, and in general as much as he could about them...and the woman they were talking to.

[dice=Intuition]1d100-30 Failure unless considered easy

Once he had decided whom was best to talk to, he approached.

”Oi! Hello there. Name’s Valghaz, Clan Ironhammer. At the service of you and yours. I’m new to town, came here cause the mines are dry and urks make opening new ones impossible without a throng. Grobi stole me pick on the way to town and I’m short on coin and tools. So I’m looking for work to get back on me feet. Can ye point me in the right direction? First time amongst the manlings so I’m a wee bit lost in the dark.”

[dice=Charm?]1d100-21 1 degree before difficulty

It’s easy to see that the dwarfs like and respect the Human as a fellow master craftsman.

The oldest of the Dwarfs nods his head in appreciation of your polite manner. ”Welcome to Ubersreik, Valghaz Ironhammer. Respect to you and your clan. We do not normally see the Ironhammer clan in Ubersreik. I am Glavic Boarhand and these two youngsters are my nephews, Harvan and Dwargun Foambeard. The 3 of us assist my other nephew Borgun Foambeard in running Borgun’s Brewery in the Dawihafen district. Borgun may be able to give you some work. You look like a strong Gnutrommi. Come by the brewery tomorrow afternoon. Please introduce yourself to Mistress Heske. She quite an amazing craftsman for a manling.”


Dwarven Miner Damage (0) Wounds (19) Fate (3) Fortune (3/3) Resilience (2) Resolve (2/2) Movement (3) Armor (1) WS: 50 (60 2handed) BS: 24 STR: 50 T: 50 Init: 25 Ag: 20 Dex: 38 Int: 32 WP: 48 Fel: 21 (+10 dawi)

Assuming that the woman present was Mistress Heske, Valghaz offered a polite bow. ”Forgefather’s Blessing unto ye. Never have I heard such a compliment offered before. Valghaz Ironhammer, a pleasure.” He said to the woman, respectfully. Then, back to his fellow dawi he said ”And many thanks for this opportunity. I look forward to being the brewery tomorrow.”

He chose his words carefully, always cognizant of never actually promising anything. For anything could happen in a day, and he did not want to accidentally make an oath. He had every intention of being there.


Landolf Gersun von Ubersreik | Male Reiklander Scion | Wounds 13/13 | Initiative 40 | Fencing 42 / Dodge 40 | Fortune 2/5 | Fate 4/4 | Resolve/Resilience 3/3 | Armor: Body 1 / Arms 1 / Legs 1 | Corruption: 2

Initiative 35: 1d100 ⇒ 34 - and here I thought my poor shillings were gone for certain. Now I guess we'll see what happens!


Darkest Doomed wrote:
Initiative 35: 1d100 ⇒ 60 - and here I thought my poor shillings were gone for certain. Now I guess we'll see what happens!

I am a bit confused by your Initiative roll unless I missed you making a perception roll before this. If you didn't do that Landolf would have no idea that anything might have happened when the Halfling bumped into him. Therefore there is no reason (yet) for Landolf to consider the Halfling an enemy.

I think that we are all in learning mode right now so I'd like to wave my magic GM wand and erase the Initiative Roll and start this interaction over again.

As you (the player not the character) intuited the Halfling is indeed up to no good and is trying to nick your coin pouch. The way Landolf would realize something is wrong would be to win a opposed skill test pitting the sleight of hand skill of the Halfling versus your Perception skill. If you win the opposed skill test then Landolf will catch the Halfling in the act and if the Halfling wins Landolf would be oblivious.

I'd like to use this as an example of an opposed skill test for everyone.

Sleight of Hand: 1d100 ⇒ 61

The Halfling has a Sleight of Hand Skill of 40 and Landolf has a Perception Skill equal to is Intelligence unless he's taken advances in it. Perception is a basic skill so doesn't require advances to be able to do.

Unfortunately for the Halfling his roll is a 61 which since he needed a 40 or less results in a success level (SL) of -2. If Landolf can get a SL of at least -2 he will be able to catch the Halfling in the act.


Valghaz Ironhammer wrote:

Assuming that the woman present was Mistress Heske, Valghaz offered a polite bow. ”Forgefather’s Blessing unto ye. Never have I heard such a compliment offered before. Valghaz Ironhammer, a pleasure.” He said to the woman, respectfully. Then, back to his fellow dawi he said ”And many thanks for this opportunity. I look forward to being the brewery tomorrow.”

He chose his words carefully, always cognizant of never actually promising anything. For anything could happen in a day, and he did not want to accidentally make an oath. He had every intention of being there.

Mistress Heske offers you a perfectly dwarf sized chair for you to sit in and then surprises you by pulling out an ale cask of Borgun's Best and two cups. "Please sit friend Dwarf and tell me about yourself and I'll give you the tale of Heske Glazer." Drinking the ale with the skill of a Dwarf, Heske relates the following to you:

When young, Heske Glazer worked the fields of the Lady’s Vale. However, her destiny altered completely when a misfired pistol took her left eye. Duke Brynich Aschaffenberg, the man responsible, seemingly took pity on the girl, and paid for her care and a replacement for her lost eye. As she healed, Heske spent long hours sitting with Kassandra Glazer, the elderly glassblower who was commissioned to create her new eye. This introduced Heske to the wonders of glassblowing, and she was utterly enthralled. In turn, the old gaffer was impressed by the bright, enthusiastic girl and eventually offered to take her on as an apprentice. Heske never looked back.
Many years later, and Heske’s glassblowing skills are so well regarded that some master artisans of Dawihafen, the Dwarf quarter in Ubersreik, consult her on works involving glass. Indeed, such is her skill, many of the best Dwarf-wrought lanterns of Ubersreik contain Heske glass, and her artefacts are sold deep into the Grey Mountains.


Landolf Gersun von Ubersreik | Male Reiklander Scion | Wounds 13/13 | Initiative 40 | Fencing 42 / Dodge 40 | Fortune 2/5 | Fate 4/4 | Resolve/Resilience 3/3 | Armor: Body 1 / Arms 1 / Legs 1 | Corruption: 2

I meant that Initiative check to be the Perception check you called for, since Perception is Initiative based. I should have formatted it better.


Human Priest (Initiate) Damage (0) Wounds (12) Resilience (3) Resolve (3) Movement (4) WS: 39 BS: 29 STR: 31 T: 31 Init: 34 Ag: 40 Dex: 32 Int: 32 WP: 37 Fel: 28

Xavier examines the pie the fat man has partially eaten and looks closely at the "rat" claw.

Perception?(39): 1d100 ⇒ 11


Darkest Doomed wrote:
I meant that Initiative check to be the Perception check you called for, since Perception is Initiative based. I should have formatted it better.

That makes sense now. So your roll was 34 and your Perception is 32 so your Success Level is 0 which is better than -2 that the Halfling managed on his sleight of hand. Neither of you really succeeded, but you failed much less miserably than he did.

Landolf feels a small hand pulling on his money bag immediately after the Halfling had ‘accidentally’ bumped into him. Then the Halfling slips and completely loses his balance landing face down in the dirt still clutching your money bag. You hear a muffled voice say ”think you dropped this guv’nor,” as the small hand holds your money bag up to you.


Xavier March wrote:

Xavier examines the pie the fat man has partially eaten and looks closely at the "rat" claw.

Perception?(39): 1d100

Good roll given you a SL of +2 which is a solid success according to the rules. If you had 1 more point of Advance in Perception you’d have a SL of +3 which according to the rules is...also a sold success.

Xavier carefully examines the “rat” claw and is convinced that it is real and was part of the pie when the pie was baked. Unfortunately, Xavier doesn’t have training in Science or History to identify what it is but of course has heard the folk tales of giant rat men living under the cities of man.


Human Priest (Initiate) Damage (0) Wounds (12) Resilience (3) Resolve (3) Movement (4) WS: 39 BS: 29 STR: 31 T: 31 Init: 34 Ag: 40 Dex: 32 Int: 32 WP: 37 Fel: 28

After examining the pie, the initiate of Verena speaks to the merchant.

"Well lets me suggest this. If you feel that there is nothing wrong with this food, then you finish it. If you do so, then it will prove you stand by your product, however you you cannot or will not finish this pie, well then you must return this man's money!"

He holds the half-eaten pie out to the merchant and waits to see what he does.


Dwarven Miner Damage (0) Wounds (19) Fate (3) Fortune (3/3) Resilience (2) Resolve (2/2) Movement (3) Armor (1) WS: 50 (60 2handed) BS: 24 STR: 50 T: 50 Init: 25 Ag: 20 Dex: 38 Int: 32 WP: 48 Fel: 21 (+10 dawi)

Valghaz listened respectfully. ”An honorable craft.” He remarked. ”I’m afraid that there isn’t much to my story. I’m from Karak Azgaraz. Never left it before. Me Clan is a mining clan, but the problem is that the hold, it was built over gold and silver. Those mines are running dry, and I’m but a beardling, aye? Nay way I’m being allowed in there. And the King, he’s a good one. Trying to expand. But the urk...err, orcs, they’re in the way. Any new mining rig just gets burnt down. Gonna need an army to clear it out and set up shop. But I can’t wait until that gets sorted out, cause food doesn’t pay for itself. So I came here to find work. Make some coin, get by. Go home either when the muster is called or when the new mines be open. But on the way here grobi filth stole me pick while I was sleeping. Woke up with naught but what ye see. Can’t mine with a shovel, aye? Guess I’m lucky to be alive. But aye...that’s, uh. That’s all there is. Sorry, me tale isn’t anything special.”


Landolf Gersun von Ubersreik | Male Reiklander Scion | Wounds 13/13 | Initiative 40 | Fencing 42 / Dodge 40 | Fortune 2/5 | Fate 4/4 | Resolve/Resilience 3/3 | Armor: Body 1 / Arms 1 / Legs 1 | Corruption: 2

Landolf hesitates for just a moment before taking his money pouch from the fallen halfling. He isn't fool enough to think he wasn't almost robbed, but he doesn't have proof of it and making a scene in front of Altdorf would be unwise.

"Thanks friend," he says as he takes the money pouch back and extends a hand to help lift the halfling out of the dirt. "I'd be midstream without a paddle without this. I'll be more careful." Landolf places his money pouch inside his vest for a bit more security. "Be careful out there!"


Xavier March wrote:

After examining the pie, the initiate of Verena speaks to the merchant.

"Well lets me suggest this. If you feel that there is nothing wrong with this food, then you finish it. If you do so, then it will prove you stand by your product, however you you cannot or will not finish this pie, well then you must return this man's money!"

He holds the half-eaten pie out to the merchant and waits to see what he does.

"Fine, fine, I'll give him his money back if you both go away," the pie seller sputters as he thrusts the 3 brass pennies back to the fat man.

As Xavier and the fat man move away he turns and introduces himself to Xavier. "Thank you Priest, my name is Karolus Dichens." Karolus looks at Xavier expectantly for a moment, a hopeful expression on his face which then falls when he realizes that Xavier has no idea who he is. "Well, as I said, I am Karolus Dichens, author, journalist, and social critic. I am researching my new book, Nonnie Verdreh. I want to take a tour of Wandiene, but can’t find anyone to to guide me through the rookery. Everyone claims it too dangerous. You are obviously a trustworthy soul. Do you by any chance have a few comrades that you could recommend to help me? Due to certain circumstances beyond my control, I would not be able to pay them but I would be willing to include them as minor characters in my book." He turns to walk away and over his shoulder he adds, "I am at the Bridge House Inn every evening if you and your friends would be interested."


Valghaz Ironhammer wrote:
Valghaz listened respectfully. ”An honorable craft.” He remarked. ”I’m afraid that there isn’t much to my story. I’m from Karak Azgaraz. Never left it before. Me Clan is a mining clan, but the problem is that the hold, it was built over gold and silver. Those mines are running dry, and I’m but a beardling, aye? Nay way I’m being allowed in there. And the King, he’s a good one. Trying to expand. But the urk...err, orcs, they’re in the way. Any new mining rig just gets burnt down. Gonna need an army to clear it out and set up shop. But I can’t wait until that gets sorted out, cause food doesn’t pay for itself. So I came here to find work. Make some coin, get by. Go home either when the muster is called or when the new mines be open. But on the way here grobi filth stole me pick while I was sleeping. Woke up with naught but what ye see. Can’t mine with a shovel, aye? Guess I’m lucky to be alive. But aye...that’s, uh. That’s all there is. Sorry, me tale isn’t anything special.”

"I like you Valghaz Ironhammer. Find me at my shop in the Artisan's District if ever I can do anything for you. Until we meet again, may Grungni watch over you and the Ironhammer clan." With that Heske stands and moves to help another customer.


Darkest Doomed wrote:

Landolf hesitates for just a moment before taking his money pouch from the fallen halfling. He isn't fool enough to think he wasn't almost robbed, but he doesn't have proof of it and making a scene in front of Altdorf would be unwise.

"Thanks friend," he says as he takes the money pouch back and extends a hand to help lift the halfling out of the dirt. "I'd be midstream without a paddle without this. I'll be more careful." Landolf places his money pouch inside his vest for a bit more security. "Be careful out there!"

The Halfling gets to his feet, dusts himself off and gives Landolf a cheeky grin. "Take care guv'nor. You seem a good'un for a long legs. Keep an eye on that money bag. Not everyone is as honest as me."

The Halfling trots off into the crowd, waving merrily to Landolf.


At this point, I am going to assume that all characters have made their way into the Marketplatz

Everyone needs to make a Simple Perception Skill test. As a reminder, most Tests are Simple Tests. These tell you if you succeed or
fail. Roll 1d100, and if the result is less than or equal to your Skill or Characteristic, you succeed! Otherwise, you fail.


Landolf Gersun von Ubersreik | Male Reiklander Scion | Wounds 13/13 | Initiative 40 | Fencing 42 / Dodge 40 | Fortune 2/5 | Fate 4/4 | Resolve/Resilience 3/3 | Armor: Body 1 / Arms 1 / Legs 1 | Corruption: 2

Initiative (Perception) 35: 1d100 ⇒ 82

Is that a good format, or is there something I could do better?


Darkest Doomed wrote:

[dice=Initiative (Perception) 35]1d100

Is that a good format, or is there something I could do better?

That’s actually perfect and wow,,,you definitely weren’t very perceptive...Apologies in advance ;)


Human Priest (Initiate) Damage (0) Wounds (12) Resilience (3) Resolve (3) Movement (4) WS: 39 BS: 29 STR: 31 T: 31 Init: 34 Ag: 40 Dex: 32 Int: 32 WP: 37 Fel: 28

initiative (Perception)39:: 1d100 ⇒ 13

Still trying to get a portrait...something is up with Paizo's site


Xavier March wrote:

[dice=initiative (Perception)39:]1d100

Still trying to get a portrait...something is up with Paizo's site

You sense something’s going on with the crowd as if tensions are suddenly rising all around you. You gather yourself as it feels like something is about to happen...


Advisor (Aide) Wounds:14/14 Resolve:3/3 Fortune:2/3 WS:38 BS:35 S:33 T:40 Init:34 AG:30 DEX:31 Int: 30 WP:30 FEL:38

Ruprecht purses his lips in thought at the rumors he was hearing, These Jungfreud's must have done something serious to have the Emperor hanging them by the bridge!!

He continues his circuit of the MarketPlatz, noting a merchant and customer enlisting the assistance of a Priest of Verena to settle their dipute, and rough-looking sort dealing with a rather ineffectual cut-purse. His thoughts return to his own opportunties, thinking that gettting some information out of one of the Altdorf regulars, perhaps a sergeant or officer, might be advantageous...

Perception (41): 1d100 ⇒ 9


Dwarven Miner Damage (0) Wounds (19) Fate (3) Fortune (3/3) Resilience (2) Resolve (2/2) Movement (3) Armor (1) WS: 50 (60 2handed) BS: 24 STR: 50 T: 50 Init: 25 Ag: 20 Dex: 38 Int: 32 WP: 48 Fel: 21 (+10 dawi)

With but seven brass pennies to his name, Valghaz left in search of a cheap place to stay for the night. He had enough rations to last him the day, but after that he would need to buy food. It was good that he would (likely) have work the next day. And how hard could it be to find a place to sleep and stay out of trouble?


Valghaz Ironhammer wrote:
With but seven brass pennies to his name, Valghaz left in search of a cheap place to stay for the night. He had enough rations to last him the day, but after that he would need to buy food. It was good that he would (likely) have work the next day. And how hard could it be to find a place to sleep and stay out of trouble?

Please go ahead and make a perception skill check. Everything is happening simultaneously, you’re walking out of the glassblowers tent, as Landolf is recovering his money bag, as Xavier is walking away from the pie merchant and as Ruprecht is wandering the Marketplatz lost in thought. So you’re still adjacent to the glassblower tent.


Dwarven Miner Damage (0) Wounds (19) Fate (3) Fortune (3/3) Resilience (2) Resolve (2/2) Movement (3) Armor (1) WS: 50 (60 2handed) BS: 24 STR: 50 T: 50 Init: 25 Ag: 20 Dex: 38 Int: 32 WP: 48 Fel: 21 (+10 dawi)

Perception: 1d100 - 30 ⇒ (14) - 30 = -16

Sorry about that, missed it


Xavier, Ruprecht and Valghaz hear the sounds of angry shouting over the hubbub of the crowds and brace themselves for whatever is about to happen. Landolf is busy checking the contents of his money bag after his odd interaction with the Halfling and is too lost in thought to notice anything odd.

Xavier, Ruprecht and Valghaz find their attention focusing on brightly painted wagons to the side of the market beside a raised wooden stage with a sign that reads ‘Betse Wooster’s Wondrous Cavalcade!’ hanging above it. The angry screaming is occurring between the troupe of performers and their audience.

Suddenly everything is bedlam! The screaming match between the troupe of travelling entertainers dressed in bright clothes and various townsfolk seemingly displeased with their latest performance quickly devolves into a fight as the furious performers wade into the crowd fists and kicks flying. The fray quickly spread, pulling in all nearby, including yourselves, who are swiftly surrounded by furious folk and their flailing fists.

As soldiers in Altdorf livery attempt to restore order, the disorder swiftly becomes a riot as the soldiers are pounded on by angry folk from both sides. Soon, cries of ‘Altdorf scum!’ and ‘Jungfreud bootlicker!’ are audible above the din.

Each of you finds yourself in a full blown brawl with a stranger from the crowd.

And COMBAT begins


Combat Round 1

All the combatants are Humans. Most are dressed as townsfolk, soldiers, or wearing brightly coloured tunics indicating they are part of the Cavalcade. Everyone in the crowd is fighting with their fists, not weapons, even though some are clearly armed.

Whenever Characters pass a Test and roll a double (i.e.: a 22, 33, 44, 55, and so on) in Combat, they score a Critical Hit. For this first combat, you should ignore this rule as the Brawling Horde is Pulling its Blows, meaning the mob is not actively trying to kill anyone. However, if any of you wish to seriously harm the rioters, you may use the Critical Hit Rules as normal.

Step 1...roll for Initiative. Roll 1d10 and add it to your Initiative attribute to get your Initiative Score for this combat. We'll keep the same order of initiative for each round of Combat. Even if you were surprised or just now joining the action please go ahead and roll.

Brawler Horde's Initiative: 1d10 + 30 ⇒ (9) + 30 = 39


Dwarven Miner Damage (0) Wounds (19) Fate (3) Fortune (3/3) Resilience (2) Resolve (2/2) Movement (3) Armor (1) WS: 50 (60 2handed) BS: 24 STR: 50 T: 50 Init: 25 Ag: 20 Dex: 38 Int: 32 WP: 48 Fel: 21 (+10 dawi)

1d10 + 25 ⇒ (1) + 25 = 26

Valghaz was aghast. Why was this happening? All he wanted to do was find a place to lie down and rest in preparation for work the next day...inwardly he cursed feckless humanity for drawing him into their disputes.


Human Priest (Initiate) Damage (0) Wounds (12) Resilience (3) Resolve (3) Movement (4) WS: 39 BS: 29 STR: 31 T: 31 Init: 34 Ag: 40 Dex: 32 Int: 32 WP: 37 Fel: 28

Initiative:: 1d10 + 34 ⇒ (10) + 34 = 44

Taken aback by the sudden violence surrounding him, Xavier tries to move to a place of relative safety.


Advisor (Aide) Wounds:14/14 Resolve:3/3 Fortune:2/3 WS:38 BS:35 S:33 T:40 Init:34 AG:30 DEX:31 Int: 30 WP:30 FEL:38

initiative: 1d10 + 30 ⇒ (1) + 30 = 31

Ruprecht noticed the commotion and tries to edge himself out of the market, but the tide of anger washed over him, an angry townsfolk accosting him, with a sigh of resignation, his hands come up into defensive position...


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Landolf Gersun von Ubersreik | Male Reiklander Scion | Wounds 13/13 | Initiative 40 | Fencing 42 / Dodge 40 | Fortune 2/5 | Fate 4/4 | Resolve/Resilience 3/3 | Armor: Body 1 / Arms 1 / Legs 1 | Corruption: 2

In about five seconds, I've had a halfling try to rob me and been pulled into a riot. 'Welcome to the big city' huh?

As he tries to avoid the worst of the fighting, Landolf attempts to catch sight of the halfling pickpocket in the crowd. The little man could get himself hurt in a brawl like this...

Initiative: 1d10 + 35 ⇒ (7) + 35 = 42

Am I taking any sort of penalty for that horrid Perception check?


Darkest Doomed wrote:


Am I taking any sort of penalty for that horrid Perception check?

You have the Surprised Condition for Round 1: You have been caught unawares. You can take no Action or Move and cannot defend yourself in Opposed Tests. The first opponent trying to strike you in Melee Combat gains a bonus of +20 to hit. At the end of the Round, you lose all Surprised Conditions.


Our other 2 players can join in once they're ready but I want to get you all going.

This first combat is a bit different because it is actually 4 individual combats happening at the same time. Since what happens to any character doesn't impact a different character there's no need to take turns. For each of the combats, I will roll a attack WS and a defend WS for a brawler. Then you can roll the corresponding defend and attack scores for your own battle, determine the results, and describe what's happening. As each character goes, I'll double check to make sure we have the mechanics of combat correct.

Each character has several options of what they can do. They could attack, they could try to talk their way out of fighting using either Intimidate or Charm, they could try to disengage from the fight using Dodge, or basically anything else you can come up if. If they attack, they need to decide if they are using weapons or bare fists and if they are pulling their blows or trying to kill their opponents. Charm or Intimidate will be Dramatic Opposed tests versus the Cool of their opponents with the appropriate modifiers for difficulty added. If Dodging, it'll will take winning 3 rounds in a row of Opposed Dramatic Tests against the WS of their opponent to completely disengage.

Combat Order (Initiative Rolled)
Xavier (44)
Landolf (42)
Brawlers (39)
Ruprecht (31)
Valghaz (26)

Keep in mind that combat is an Opposed Skill check so the best SL wins. You can have an attack that 'fails' but fails less badly than a defense and therefore still causes damage.

Combat 1 - Xavier vs Brawler 1. Brawler 1 appears to be one of performers from Betse Wooster’s Wondrous Cavalcade.
Roll 1 is either the opposed WS or a Cool Roll for Brawler 1 depending on Xavier's action and Roll 2 will be the attack WS roll for the furious performer.
Brawler 1 Defend WS Roll: 1d100 ⇒ 19 A 19 is a success with a SL of +2
Brawler 1 Attack WS: 1d100 ⇒ 41A 41 is a failure with a SL of -1

Combat 2 - Landolf vs Brawler 2. Brawler 2 is a middle-aged townswoman whose face is twisted in anger. Brawler 2 has the surprise bonus (+20 to WS) and an Advantage of 1 (+10 to each combat roll).
Roll 1 is their defensive roll and Roll 2 will be their attack.
Brawler 2 Defend WS Roll: 1d100 ⇒ 80 An 80 is a failure with a SL of -4
Brawler 2 Attack WS: 1d100 ⇒ 91 A 91 is a failure with a SL of -4

Combat 3 - Ruprecht vs Brawler 3. Brawler 3 is a teen-age boy who is obviously trying to show off in front of his girlfriend. This time Roll 1 is the attack roll and Roll 2 is the defense roll since Brawler 3 has a higher initiative result.
Brawler 3 Attack WS Roll: 1d100 ⇒ 41 A 41 is a failure with a SL of -1
Brawler 3 Defend WS Roll: 1d100 ⇒ 13A 13 is a success with a SL of +2

Combat 4 - Valghaz vs Brawler 4. Brawler 4 is a little fat respectable looking burgher yelling "Long live the Jungfreuds!"
Brawler 4 Attack WS: 1d100 ⇒ 58 A 58 is a failure with a SL of -2
Brawler 4 Defend WS: 1d100 ⇒ 73 A 73 is a failure with a SL of -4


Human Priest (Initiate) Damage (0) Wounds (12) Resilience (3) Resolve (3) Movement (4) WS: 39 BS: 29 STR: 31 T: 31 Init: 34 Ag: 40 Dex: 32 Int: 32 WP: 37 Fel: 28

Is there a way for Xavier to intimidate or otherwise use his position as a priest to cow the attacker into leaving him alone??


Dwarven Miner Damage (0) Wounds (19) Fate (3) Fortune (3/3) Resilience (2) Resolve (2/2) Movement (3) Armor (1) WS: 50 (60 2handed) BS: 24 STR: 50 T: 50 Init: 25 Ag: 20 Dex: 38 Int: 32 WP: 48 Fel: 21 (+10 dawi)
Quote:

Combat 4 - Valghaz vs Brawler 4. Brawler 4 is a little fat respectable looking burgher yelling "Long live the Jungfreuds!"

Brawler 4 Attack WS: 1d100 ⇒ 58 A 58 is a failure with a SL of -2
Brawler 4 Defend WS: 1d100 ⇒ 73 A 73 is a failure with a SL of -4

Valghaz Defend WS 50: 1d100 - 50 ⇒ (40) - 50 = -10 SL 1

Valghaz Attack WS 50 with advantage 10: 1d100 - 60 ⇒ (99) - 60 = 39 SL -3

Damage Unarmed: SL negative 1 + Unarmed 0 + SB 3 = 2 damage? Or is is -3 + 3 for 0 damage? Either way I think it is advantage +20 now.

This wasn’t Valghaz’s first brawl. He easily sidestepped the man’s punch and shoved him away. Hard. This caused the burgher to crash into a nearby wall. Pulling out his shovel he yelled ”Eh! Stop this nonsense! I don’t know who the fook the Jungfreuds are and I don’t care! Just leave me be.”

1 to 50 of 1,415 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Welcome to Ubersreik All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.