GM Kirsdrake's Eberron Case Files (closed recruitment)

Game Master Kirsdrake


401 to 450 of 548 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | next > last >>

Elf Unchained Rogue/2
Kirsdrake wrote:
Threat? Oh… he’s no threat. That’s Roctar. My husband,” Corlina said quietly, her gaze draw to the huge brute of a man and then flinching away, only to soon return. ”Here to escort me home. He’s a bit of the protective sort, you know?”

Understanding dawned for Phin. Roctar most probably got a little too physical with Corlina but he was not part of their investigation. If Corlina continued to stay with him even though he made her want to stay at the Bluebird most nights, then there wasn't anything Phin could do. She caught Erix confronting Roctar out of the corner of her eye and figured she needed to keep things from coming to blows. "That info would have been good to know a few moments ago," she muttered. But to be fair, she didn't think Erix would go confront the guy. She had just wanted him to be aware of the potential threat.

The rogue gently pushed Corlina towards the Drummer, "Keep her safe. I'll be right back."

Phin hustled over to Erix and Roctar and grabbed Erix's hand, pulling him back a step towards her while making eye contact with Corlina's husband. "My apologies, Roctar, is it? My guy can be a little overprotective and I'm sure he didn't realize that you're married to the dancer. He meant no offence, isn't that right, Sweetie? Can we buy you and Corlina a drink in apology?"

diplomacy: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25

Kirsdrake wrote:
The ‘forged looked up at the elf in silence for a long moment. Phin was just about certain no answer would be forthcoming at all, when Drummer answered, almost in a whisper. ”Money?”

Phin cocked her head to the side, sizing up the 'forged, "How about a trade instead? I could play a couple of your sets for you. You still get paid but don't have to do the work. Is that worth your information?"

Kirsdrake wrote:

”Well, I wouldn’t say well,” Graff said, leaning back against the bar table, clearly just as happy to talk to new faces as he did with the Inn’s regulars. ”He was nice enough a fellow, I guess. Came here every so often, friendly, a good tipper. Knew a lot about art – loved it, really. He liked taking new artists under his wing, as it were, finding buyers for their work. Kept trying to persuade us to buy one of Lucian’s horrors. Had to put my foot down firmly at that. I mean, yes, the man has talent, but just imagining one of those paintings in the common room is enough to give me the willies.”

”That’s right, dear. Oh, that poor demented man. Someone ought to do something to help him,” Sarfina agreed. ”And poor Svans, too. Imagine, being strangled with a garter? The work of some cuckolded husband, mark my words.” Clearly, Sarfina Pendrong had found a rumor that tickled her interest. ”I never imagined Svans as being like that, but I guess you can’t judge a book by the cover and all that.”

Phin leaned in to show interest and nodded, "When he did come here, was he ever with anyone? Did he every bring Lucian here with him? I think I did see one of his canvasses and it was unnerving."

Her eyes widened at Sarfina's comment and she gave her a conspiratorial smile, "Any husband in particular?"


HP 20/20, AC 16, Init +1, Perc +1 | F+2, R+2, W+3, CMB+3, CMD 14 | Spells 1: 5/5 | LoH 5/5

@Phin - I think drummer isn't asking for money, I think he gave you a possible motive for murder.


Elf Unchained Rogue/2

Ahhh. When Kirsdrake wrote: If you want something out of this particular source of information, be prepared to milk out each individual answer if not every word ;^) - I thought he implied he'd be milking us for money for his info. My bad.

EDIT:

Kirsdrake wrote:
The ‘forged looked up at the elf in silence for a long moment. Phin was just about certain no answer would be forthcoming at all, when Drummer answered, almost in a whisper. ”Money?”

Phin tried to coax the 'forged, "Like he owed the wrong people money? Or he had something worth money that someone wanted? Or someone owed him money for something and they didn't want to pay? Or something else? Which is it?"


Phin wrote:
Phin tried to coax the 'forged, "Like he owed the wrong people money? Or he had something worth money that someone wanted? Or someone owed him money for something and they didn't want to pay? Or something else? Which is it?"

”Svans ir’Kilmansor was always bad with money,” the ‘forged said, after another long pause.

Phin wrote:
Phin leaned in to show interest and nodded, "When he did come here, was he ever with anyone? Did he every bring Lucian here with him? I think I did see one of his canvasses and it was unnerving."

”Oh, Lucian is quite capable of dragging himself here, except on the days he isn’t,” Graff said, shaking his head in disgust. ”Filthy habit, that. Can’t see his sorry face here today, so he might be back home, partaking. Or he might be painting – Svans always said Lucina wouldn’t sleep, eat or drink when the fury of creation got its hold on him.

Phin wrote:
Her eyes widened at Sarfina's comment and she gave her a conspiratorial smile, [b]"Any husband in particular?"

”Well, it’s not for me to say…” Sarfina began, a gleam in her eye as she got a chance to retell a piece of particularly juicy rumor, ”but Svans was awfully close with Elea Brax, I always thought. And Kroga has that awful temper of his…”

”Oh don’t you start with those silly rumors,” Graff grunted. ”You know as well as I do that while that damn bread-kneader is all full of bile, he’s all talk. He’s picking fights with Borgo all the time but that’s never got past bloody noses. A bit of a leap from that to murder.”


And now this… you might have got the NPCs mixed up, but then again, for all Roctar knew, you could have been referring to Phin as your girl. But he’s got a jealous bone a mile long in his body, and he’s also a bit confrontational soul. So when you, a complete stranger, comes all up into his personal space, giving him sass, possibly staking a claim on his wife… well, he’s all ready to rumble!

Phin wrote:
Phin hustled over to Erix and Roctar and grabbed Erix's hand, pulling him back a step towards her while making eye contact with Corlina's husband. "My apologies, Roctar, is it? My guy can be a little overprotective and I'm sure he didn't realize that you're married to the dancer. He meant no offence, isn't that right, Sweetie? Can we buy you and Corlina a drink in apology?"

So… Phin’s roll was good, but Erix is helping Roctar firmly along to Hostile attitude, in which case DC to calm things down with Diplomacy is 25 + Cha of the opponent. And since Roctar does have positive Cha, and Erix’s words are certainly NOT helping Phin… let’s see about those rolls.

Roctar hesitated for a moment, caught between the honey and the bees’ stingers as the pretty elven lass appealed to his better nature while this scarred brute of a man threw insults at his way. He looked up, spotted Corlina hurrying their way, but he also noted all the eyes of the inn patrons focused on him and his opponent. If he gave up now, he’d lose face before all these people.

Erix wrote:
"You're mad!" Erix sneered "There's no way she's married. Certainly not to you!"

And that was the last straw.

Now, let’s talk a bit about that attack of yours… you said you wanted to use Combat Stamina to add nonlethal damage to the attack. But from the way I read the feat, you get the bonus on ATTACK roll, not the damage rolls. And your Stamina pool equals your BAB + CON mod, 4 in your case, so you don’t have 10 points to spend. So unless I’m mistaken, I’ll assume you didn’t spend those points, but attacks still hit, and deal 17 points of nonlethal damage.


Roctar, init: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (15) + 0 = 15 So he can go first, and certainly shall

Roctar, unarmed attack: 1d20 + 4 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 4 + 3 = 15
Roctar, unarmed attack, damage, nonlethal: 1d3 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4 So, the punch does hit, and does some nonlethal damage, mostly due to sheer strength than any particular skill at fisticuffs

Roaring a wordless challenge, the former bodybuilder threw the first punch, faster than Erix had expected. Too quickly to completely avoid, but the veteran knew how to roll with blows and stayed easily on his feet. And then came his turn to strike back.

And then comes Erix’s twin haymakers…

Roctar staggered under the fierce combination of strikes, giving ground first one pace, than another, focusing on guarding his head, which left his midriff open for the maul-like fists. But Roctar wasn’t a swooning maiden himself, and he took the blows, even though the sharp pain in his chest suggested the stranger’s fists had bruised his ribs badly.

He shifted to a lower stance, grudging respect in his eyes as he realized this one was a serious opponent when Corlina managed to weave her way past the onlookers and threw herself at her husband.

”Darling! Stop! He didn’t mean any of that!” the elf begged, as Roctar blinked in surprise, fists lowering to hold his wife’s shoulders, wincing in pain as her charge applied new pressure to his very recent bruises.

If Erix still wants to continue Roctar is game and will thrust his wife aside, but given a bit of peace, Corlina can and will talk Roctar into going home with her before anything worse will happen.


Stamina 0/4

@Kirsdrake: Hmmm. Erix was playing up the jealous boyfriend angle, implying Roctar was looking at Phin, and saying they (Roctar and Phin) were married. If Phin clarified the situation it doesn't really make sense to use those words. Happy for him to sneer or something else though.
You're right - sorry - Combat Stamina is 4. Early build had con 16, and it was still at 5 in my head. I have added it to the Profile so I remember.
Combat Stamina can be spent for different purposes for different feats. The basic is to add +1 to hit, but Erix has a couple of feats that change that around.
Improved Unarmed Strike (from Brawler) gives:

Quote:
When you deal nonlethal damage with an unarmed strike, you can spend up to 5 stamina points to deal an amount of additional nonlethal damage equal to double the amount of stamina points you spent


And what ended up happening was that Roctar thought Erix was hitting on Corlina and was driving another potential competitor - Roctar - away by claiming being already married to Corlina - something the jealous husband didn't take well ;^)

And now I get where you got the extra damage from... would be nice to see those combat trics available to you somewhere on your character sheet (hint, hint). And didn't you get a debuff if you ever spend the last point of the pool?

Quote:
Dropping to 0 stamina points causes you to become fatigued until you have 1 or more points in your stamina pool.

Anyway, that means 25 point on damage on Roctar instead of 17. He's still up and will fight if you press the issue, but considerably closer to falling unconscious.


Stamina 0/4

Hmm - yes, Fatigued. Good point. Ah well, Fatigued it is.
I'll look up the various stamina tricks and add them in.

Erix rocked back a little. 'Still standing? Man's built like a wall.'

I don't mind the fight, it's just he says he's married to someone, Phin says it's Corlina, and then Erix interprets it as Phin. If Phin arrived after he said it it'd be fine.
Hmmm - can I change it to "What idiot marries an elf?" Should still be enough to get a punch, I think.

Edit: actually, assuming I'm right about something and it all happens in this order, can I change it to something a bit more cryptic? Like this;
Erix blinked for a second as things fell into place. He looked for a moment to Phin, then Corlina. "You married her? You stupid bastard."


Stamina 0/4

Erix's fists turned into upraised hands as guilt forced the adrenaline from his system and fatigue took its place "You can take a punch." He rubbed his shoulder, where the tunic had split under Roctar's attack "Throw one too."
"Shouldn't have made that last crack. Came out wrong." Erix shook his head "I get it, man. Trust me, I get it." he looks to Phin "They don't age."
He turns back to Roctar "I reckon we're both in trouble now. Let's let the girls talk, I'll buy you a drink, and I'll explain what I meant." He looks Roctar in the eye, raises an eyebrow conspiratorially and adds "I mean, it's not like this was a real fight. We were just playing around, right? No-one's really hurt. Nothing's broken."
Not sure if this actually needs a roll, as he's mostly assuaging his own guilt, but Eric's untrained diplomacy to assist Phin is diplomacy: 1d20 ⇒ 17

Eric's hypothesis:

Roctar fell for Corlina when they both looked relatively young. She continued to be young and carefree, Roctar started to age. Now he's an older man, and his wife is still young, and pretty, and dancing in taverns.
He has a fear that she's losing interest in him, starting to look at men 'her own age'. They're both at the tavern, which means probably no kids, which means she's not interested in having kids and he's almost too old to start.
He follows her around, does his best to keep young traits (like hotheadedness and strength) and drive off other men.
In fact this is probably toxic to the relationship, but that might be for the best.
He probably gets in trouble for fighting, so offering that this was 'not really a fight' pays up the youth aspect and plays down the 'violent and abusive' aspect.
Their problems are just going to get worse as time goes on. Erix just had a flash of insight into his own life when he was young and stupid, realised Roctar is alt-universe Erix, suddenly realised Phin was more awesome than he though, felt a lot of guilt and empathy for Roctar and now dislikes Corlina.


Elf Unchained Rogue/2
Kirsdrake wrote:
Svans ir’Kilmansor was always bad with money,” the ‘forged said, after another long pause.

Phin was beginning to wonder if this line of questioning was worth the time it was taking. "Always? So you've known him long? What did he do to make you think he was bad with money?"

Kirsdrake wrote:
”Oh, Lucian is quite capable of dragging himself here, except on the days he isn’t,” Graff said, shaking his head in disgust. ”Filthy habit, that. Can’t see his sorry face here today, so he might be back home, partaking. Or he might be painting – Svans always said Lucina wouldn’t sleep, eat or drink when the fury of creation got its hold on him.

"So Lucian lives around here too?" Her brow furrowed, "What's his vice of choice? I've heard many artists believe substances open up their creativity. They may burn brightly for a time but they also burn out faster."

Kirsdrake wrote:

”Well, it’s not for me to say…” Sarfina began, a gleam in her eye as she got a chance to retell a piece of particularly juicy rumor, ”but Svans was awfully close with Elea Brax, I always thought. And Kroga has that awful temper of his…”

”Oh don’t you start with those silly rumors,” Graff grunted. ”You know as well as I do that while that damn bread-kneader is all full of bile, he’s all talk. He’s picking fights with Borgo all the time but that’s never got past bloody noses. A bit of a leap from that to murder.”

Phin made mental notes of everything being shared so she could tell Alua later to write it down. "Has anyone seen Mr. or Mrs. Brax since Svans' unfortunate demise?" She looked slightly surprised at Graff's comment about Kroga, "He's a baker? I would have thought someone making bread and pastries would be more pleasant. I mean, who doesn't love eating those things?"

Phin's hypothesis:
And Phin thinks Roctar views Corlina as his property and is most likely abusive. Otherwise, Corlina wouldn't have seemed so nervous or spend most of her time at the Bluebird. She would want to be somewhere public for the majority of her time in order to feel safe.


HP 20/20, AC 16, Init +1, Perc +1 | F+2, R+2, W+3, CMB+3, CMD 14 | Spells 1: 5/5 | LoH 5/5

Giving up on Hans being able to provide any trustworthy evidence, Alua thanked him for the story, and headed over to where Phin was talking to the innkeeper. On her way over, she tripped on an outstretched foot, and her notebook and pen went flying in different directions. In her scramble to retrieve her belongings, she ended up having a bowl of nut shells dumped on her head, her hand was trod upon by a patron, and her pen snapped in half.

Brushing hulls from her wispy blond hair, and wiping ink from her bruised hand, Alua finally made it to Phin's side. Catching the end of the conversation, she asked, "Do you know where we could find Lucian, when he's not here? Or the Braxes?" She wondered if Lucian had painted the awful war-scene, and what substances he'd been on when he made it.


Male-ish Warforged Magus/2

I'm back from my trip and spent the entire day staring into the bottom of a toilet. Yuck. I am finally able to hold down some food and will take a look at all of this ASAP. ASAP=tomorrow sometime.


HP 20/20, AC 16, Init +1, Perc +1 | F+2, R+2, W+3, CMB+3, CMD 14 | Spells 1: 5/5 | LoH 5/5

Almost missed that Erix was hurt!

The unmistakable sound of a fish hitting flesh took Alua's attention from her inquiries. Spinning around, she saw Erix exchange blows with another man.

Reaching for her morningstar, her had gripped empty air - of course, she hadn't brought it with her to the inn. Leaping to her feet, she was ready to join the fray, but it seemed to be already over. Phin and the pretty dancer had interposed themselves between the two men, and the situation seemed to be de-escalating. Or so I assume.

Once the danger of further fisticuffs was over, Alua moved to Erix's side, and laid her hands over his darkening contusion. Summoning energy from within, she channelled it to her coworker, healing the bruise. Unless Erix prevents her...

lay on hands: 1d6 ⇒ 4


Erix wrote:

"Shouldn't have made that last crack. Came out wrong." Erix shook his head "I get it, man. Trust me, I get it." he looks to Phin "They don't age."

He turns back to Roctar "I reckon we're both in trouble now. Let's let the girls talk, I'll buy you a drink, and I'll explain what I meant." He looks Roctar in the eye, raises an eyebrow conspiratorially and adds "I mean, it's not like this was a real fight. We were just playing around, right? No-one's really hurt. Nothing's broken."

"Ain't no shrinking violet yourself," Roctar wheezed, leaning somewhat on his lightly-built wife's shoulder as he gingerly probed his ribs, wincing in pain. "So what the hell is your story? Fists like that... pit fighter?" he hazarded, but as Corlina struggled to maneuver him out the door he didn't resist - clearly he had got enough excitement for one day, and he had also got an apology, so he felt he could afford to leave things at that. He gave Erix one grudgingly respectful nod over his wife's head before the door closed behind them.

Phin wrote:
Phin was beginning to wonder if this line of questioning was worth the time it was taking. "Always? So you've known him long? What did he do to make you think he was bad with money?"

Now you are getting somewhere... and thus I need to prevent you from getting any further today ;^)

The 'forged lapsed into silence once again, and before he could get to answering, a voice called out. "Drummer! Come on, you bucket of bolts! I need help with the ale casks!" The 'forged looked up, his eyes found those of a tall young man waving his arm at him. Without another word, Drummer stood up, moved his drum set and his stool carefully to the back wall of the raised platform and then moved with unhurried steps towards the young man, Phin and her questions forgotten.

Phin wrote:
"So Lucian lives around here too?" Her brow furrowed, "What's his vice of choice? I've heard many artists believe substances open up their creativity. They may burn brightly for a time but they also burn out faster."

"Dreamlily," Graff grunted. "Damn stuff eats up what little reason he ever had left."

Phin wrote:
Phin made mental notes of everything being shared so she could tell Alua later to write it down. "Has anyone seen Mr. or Mrs. Brax since Svans' unfortunate demise?" She looked slightly surprised at Graff's comment about Kroga, "He's a baker? I would have thought someone making bread and pastries would be more pleasant. I mean, who doesn't love eating those things?"

"Met them at the market this morning, sure," Graff said, surprised at the question. "And yes, he's a baker, and pretty good one at that. And smart enough to leave the counter to his wife, so he's ugly mug won't scare away the customers."

Alua wrote:
Brushing hulls from her wispy blond hair, and wiping ink from her bruised hand, Alua finally made it to Phin's side. Catching the end of the conversation, she asked, "Do you know where we could find Lucian, when he's not here? Or the Braxes?" She wondered if Lucian had painted the awful war-scene, and what substances he'd been on when he made it.

"Well, I know where they live, sure, but what's it to you?" he asked, getting a bit suspicious now that the conversation turned to home addresses of people he knew.


HP 15/15, AC 16, Init +2, Perc +0/+1 traps | F+2, R+2, W+3, CMB+1, CMD 13 | Spells 1: na/3

ooc: I didn't really have much to chime in with this week, but realized I should probably have told Kirsdrake and everyone that. Daen is just watching and taking it all in.


Stamina 0/4

@Phin: Probably true - Phin has more information than Erix.
@Alua: depends on if we are still maintaining seperation (why this stranger rather than Roctar), and how long after. Nonlethal goes away pretty quick.


HP 20/20, AC 16, Init +1, Perc +1 | F+2, R+2, W+3, CMB+3, CMD 14 | Spells 1: 5/5 | LoH 5/5

@Erix, and everybody...one of Alua's oracle curses is "merciful" - she has to heal any non-enemy on her next turn. So she'll be running after all of you to heal every paper cut (assuming I remember). I assume that we've been together long enough that you guys are used to it/can anticipate it. If there are times when it's inconvenient, inappropriate, embarrassing, etc for her to heal you, well, so much the better! Feel free to shove her away - should be some good rp opportunities here.


Elf Unchained Rogue/2
Kirsdrake wrote:
He gave Erix one grudgingly respectful nod over his wife's head before the door closed behind them.

Phin watched the pair exit with a mixture of relief and dread. Relief that there hadn't been a brawl, dread for what may await Corlina. She would have to make a point of getting someone who worked at the Bluebird to check in on her.

As soon as the door shut, Phin released Erix's hand. "Sorry for taking liberties with your hand. It seemed the most believable response. And sorry for misleading you. Corlina told me that Roctar was her husband after I'd signalled you. She seemed genuinely on edge about him."

Kirsdrake wrote:
"Drummer! Come on, you bucket of bolts! I need help with the ale casks!" The 'forged looked up, his eyes found those of a tall young man waving his arm at him. Without another word, Drummer stood up, moved his drum set and his stool carefully to the back wall of the raised platform and then moved with unhurried steps towards the young man, Phin and her questions forgotten.

Phin watched with her mouth agape as the Drummer left without saying anything, "But...but...I have more questions," she said to no one in particular.

Kirsdrake wrote:
"Dreamlily," Graff grunted. "Damn stuff eats up what little reason he ever had left."

Phin gave a low, musical whistle, "That is a bad one. Although that would explain the lack of reason in the subject matters of his art. Hopefully with Svans gone, there will be someone else to check in on him." She paused briefly before continuing, "Speaking of checking in on someone, would someone here be able to check in on Corlina? She seemed a little on edge when I was speaking with her. I just want to make sure she's okay."

Kirsdrake wrote:
"Met them at the market this morning, sure," Graff said, surprised at the question. "And yes, he's a baker, and pretty good one at that. And smart enough to leave the counter to his wife, so he's ugly mug won't scare away the customers."

Phin's mouth began to water at the thought of baked goods. "I like hearing about really good bakers because I like sampling their goods. Which market would I be able to find him? Is he there every day?"


All right... by now, you have accomplished just about everything you are allowed to on the first day, so you might want to consider retiring for the night... it's going to get busy tomorrow, after all ;^)


Stamina 0/4
Alua wrote:
Once the danger of further fisticuffs was over, Alua moved to Erix's side, and laid her hands over his darkening contusion. Summoning energy from within, she channelled it to her coworker, healing the bruise. Unless Erix prevents her...

on the assumption this is before Roctar has left

"What?" Erix noted the sudden lack of pain "Oh, thanks miss. I think this guy" he indicates Roctar "could use a dose too, if you've one to spare."

Quote:
"Ain't no shrinking violet yourself," Roctar wheezed, leaning somewhat on his lightly-built wife's shoulder as he gingerly probed his ribs, wincing in pain. "So what the hell is your story? Fists like that... pit fighter?" he hazarded, but as Corlina struggled to maneuver him out the door he didn't resist - clearly he had got enough excitement for one day, and he had also got an apology, so he felt he could afford to leave things at that. He gave Erix one grudgingly respectful nod over his wife's head before the door closed behind them.

"Erix." Erix introduced himself, towering over Corlina's head "Uh. See you later. I owe you a drink."

Phin the Raccoon wrote:
As soon as the door shut, Phin released Erix's hand. "Sorry for taking liberties with your hand. It seemed the most believable response. And sorry for misleading you. Corlina told me that Roctar was her husband after I'd signalled you. She seemed genuinely on edge about him."

Erix shrugged and answered quietly "If you play a role, play to the hilt, right?" he left unsaid the other half of the saying Phin had taught him "I misunderstood. Thought he might be 'working' and you wanted him out." He continued in a louder voice "Corlina? That's the dancer? Got to be a story there."

Phin wrote:
Phin watched with her mouth agape as the Drummer left without saying anything, "But...but...I have more questions," she said to no one in particular.

"Gotcha." Erix whispered, then more loudly continued as if answering a question of Phin's "Sure. Happy to come back. Nice place." More quietly he added a suggestion "Daryl?"

Phin wrote:
She paused briefly before continuing, "Speaking of checking in on someone, would someone here be able to check in on Corlina? She seemed a little on edge when I was speaking with her. I just want to make sure she's okay."

confirming this is aimed at the inn's staff and not Erix, seems like a good way to get more information out of them - though not why she's doing it.

On the way home Erix asked "Something off about Corlina or her hubby? You seem to be fishing. Got a hunch?"


Elf Unchained Rogue/2
Erix wrote:
"Sure. Happy to come back. Nice place." More quietly he added a suggestion "Daryl?"

Phin shrugged indifferently and answered softly, "If you think he'll get more out of him. It probably couldn't hurt."

@Erix: You are correct. That one question was aimed at the proprietors of the Bluebird and not Erix.

Erix wrote:
On the way home Erix asked "Something off about Corlina or her hubby? You seem to be fishing. Got a hunch?"

Phin shook her head, "Not about the case. More just mildly concerned about Corlina's well-being. She said that she spent so much time at the Bluebird that it was like her second home and she seemed nervous - like she was constantly looking for someone. At first I thought it was because of unwanted advances but now that I know it was her husband..." her voice died off. She was quiet for a bit, "But she went home with him and it's not related to Svans murder so that's the end of my involvement."


Erix wrote:
"What?" Erix noted the sudden lack of pain "Oh, thanks miss. I think this guy" he indicates Roctar "could use a dose too, if you've one to spare."

”Don’t bother, this is nothing,” Roctar said, not looking back as he allowed his wife to lead him away.

Phin wrote:
Phin gave a low, musical whistle, "That is a bad one. Although that would explain the lack of reason in the subject matters of his art. Hopefully with Svans gone, there will be someone else to check in on him." She paused briefly before continuing, "Speaking of checking in on someone, would someone here be able to check in on Corlina? She seemed a little on edge when I was speaking with her. I just want to make sure she's okay."

This would be after the Erix – Roctar showdown…

”She made her bed, now she can lie in it,” Sarfina said, picking up a glass to polish to keep her hands busy. ”The little bit of theater you just saw is nothing new. And still she chooses to stick with her man. The way I see it, she’s adult enough to make her own choices. Besides, we have tried to lend a hand and she’s always turned it down.”

Phin wrote:
Phin's mouth began to water at the thought of baked goods. "I like hearing about really good bakers because I like sampling their goods. Which market would I be able to find him? Is he there every day?"

You are mighty curious for complete strangers who have yet to speak a word about your deputy-like arrangement with Sergeant Viduk with anyone in here…

Graff was obviously starting to get suspicious about all the questions, even though his wife was still happy to share the local gossip with anyone willing to listen. It was one thing to be curious about a death under mysterious circumstances, particularly with all the juicy rumors about it going around, but quite another to start asking directions to everyone connected to those rumors and people playing major roles in them.

”As I said, why all the interest?” he asked again. ”You got a bone to pick with our people? We have our own share of troubles already and I’ll not be the one to bring more to my friends’ doorsteps.”


Anyway...I think I'll soon advance things to tomorrow and the new challenges the dawn will bring... I'd like to hear some initial plans from you guys, though. What will you do, where will you go, come morning? Events might intervene with your plans, but I'd like to know where the events will find you from ;^)


Male-ish Warforged Magus/2

Insert this wherever it makes sense

Daryl watched the biologicals flit around him like flotsam on a swirling wind.

No, he didn’t watch. He experienced.

He felt like a rock in the eye of a storm – a bastion of calm in a sea of chaos.

There were signals and whispers, intimate touches and guarded words. His compatriots looked like ants trying to infiltrate the hide of a dead animal. Clawing and biting and pushing their way through all resistance. The festering rot of the tavern reeked of death. Not of actual dead bodies, but the death of dreams, the death of hope. The biologicals stared into their cups as if the liquid could give them the future they seemed to have lost.

Of course, it wouldn’t. Couldn’t.

All the liquid could do was addle their thoughts so that they would forget. Or maybe allow them not to grieve their loss.

Daryl’s legs quivered under him. He was crouched next to the table, a stance he could maintain indefinitely if needed. And yet his legs shook. He watched them, transfixed. [i]How? Why?[/]

As he asked himself, he knew the answer – a part of him envied the biologicals. If he could consume something like their alcohol, he knew he would.

He screamed.

At first he thought he had vocalized, but a quick scan of his surroundings showed that he had not. But the scream echoed in his mind. It was his voice, full of pain. Suffering. He looked down at his hands and the slight purple glow from underneath his armor was pulsing.

He stood suddenly, the table nearly capsizing as his thighs slammed into the side. It wobbled back and forth for what seemed like too long before noisily settling back onto its base. As many of the patrons watched, Daryl turned and walked out of the tavern without a word.

He walked. He didn’t know how long. At some point he had pulled off his cloak. It was in his right hand. He held it aloft. It was filthy. He would have to clean it. Most importantly, his arms were no longer pulsing.

He didn’t know where he was or how long he’d walked. He glanced up at the sky, taking note at the position of the moon and stars, and aimed himself in the general direction of the Agency. He’d find his way…eventually.


HP 20/20, AC 16, Init +1, Perc +1 | F+2, R+2, W+3, CMB+3, CMD 14 | Spells 1: 5/5 | LoH 5/5

Alua stared as Daryl left the tavern. She felt an impulse to follow him, to see if he was okay, then an even stronger impulse not too. The 'forged could be scary, and she wouldn't know how to help, anyway.

Quote:
”As I said, why all the interest?” he asked again. ”You got a bone to pick with our people? We have our own share of troubles already and I’ll not be the one to bring more to my friends’ doorsteps.”

"No, nothing like that," Alua hastily reassured him. Deciding to go for it, she said, "Actually, we're trying to help. We've been asked to look into the death of poor Mr. ir'Klimansor. We'd like to talk to people to knew him, so we can discover what happened."

diplomacy: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (13) + 9 = 22

Daen should analyze the wine tonight.


So... any plans on how you intend to begin tomorrow? If I get nothing, I'll just wrap up to the lot of you gathering back on your office at the start of the next day.


Stamina 0/4
Phin wrote:
Phin shook her head, "Not about the case. More just mildly concerned about Corlina's well-being. She said that she spent so much time at the Bluebird that it was like her second home and she seemed nervous - like she was constantly looking for someone. At first I thought it was because of unwanted advances but now that I know it was her husband..." her voice died off. She was quiet for a bit, "But she went home with him and it's not related to Svans murder so that's the end of my involvement."

Erix shrugged "I'm happy to take a look." He looks away a little, not meeting Phin's eyes "I'm not sure I'm pulling my weight in the actual investigation anyway. It'a a good team. Plenty of specialists. Not sure they need an old soldier."

tag?
"Tonight reminded me of the old days. You and me working together. Except... Look... I appreciate now how good a " he colours a little "mentor you were. I know I used to be a bit of an idiot..."


Turn 008 - My Girl

Daen, Craft - Alchemy: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23

Game on!


Elf Unchained Rogue/2

In pajamas before 8pm on a Friday...living the dream

Kirsdrake wrote:

“Asked, you say?” Graff asked, and visibly relaxed when Sergean Viduk’s

name got eventually mentioned. “Why didn’t you say so? The tinhead runs a tight
crew, and has always done right by us. If you have his trust, you might as well
have mine,” he said, and proceeded to give the girls detailed instructions to reach both
Lucian’s home/studio and the surly baker’s store.

Phin let out the breath she was holding when the others mentioned they were working for the authorities. Her tongue wouldn't have been loosened by anyone associated with the law but apparently it worked for Graff which was a relief.

Erix wrote:
Erix shrugged "I'm happy to take a look." He looks away a little, not meeting Phin's eyes "I'm not sure I'm pulling my weight in the actual investigation anyway. It'a a good team. Plenty of specialists. Not sure they need an old soldier."

Phin walloped Erix in the arm. She may not have the strength for her blow to be felt but she definitely knew where to hit him to make it sting. "Don't you even!" There was a fierce look in her eyes, "I don't care whether that talk is self-deprecating or out of self-pity but I refuse to let you talk like that. You're an important part of this team." Her face softened somewhat, "Besides, if you're old then what does that make me?"

Erix wrote:
"Tonight reminded me of the old days. You and me working together. Except... Look... I appreciate now how good a " he colours a little "mentor you were. I know I used to be a bit of an idiot..."

Phin threw an arm around his shoulders, or as close as she could get, and gave him a half-squeeze. "Yes you were. But you were my idiot and it was important to me that I didn't break you. Mostly because that would have put me on Mamma Ellie's bad side and that's somewhere I never wanted to be."

Before parting for the night, Phin moved up besides Sebastian to relay what she'd learned at the Bluebird. "I was thinking that maybe someone should be staying at Svans. Word will most likely get around that people are asking questions and it's possible the killer may go back there if they think they may have left something behind. It may be worth having someone there should that happen. Do you agree?"

Action 2:

The next morning Phin rejoined the others at the office. "I think it may be worth following up with the jealous husband. I also think we should find out more about how Svans spent his money. Apparently he was very bad with managing his money and may have owed the wrong people money. But personally, I think the jealous husband may be the better bet. Even if he owed the wrong people money, it's not a wise business decision to kill the one who owes you. You can't get money from a dead man." Her stomach rumbled with hunger. And maybe I can get a pastry or two in the process


Phin the Raccoon wrote:


Phin let out the breath she was holding when the others mentioned they were working for the authorities. Her tongue wouldn't have been loosened by anyone associated with the law but apparently it worked for Graff which was a relief.

Well, I did tell you the document Viduk gave you was for the express purpose of not getting arrested when asking people inconvenient questions... ;^) If you really want to keep it hidden I can edit the turn, you get nothing more from the innkeeper, he later goes to Viduk to report you as potential troublemakers, gets told you are working for the Watch and will be highly irritated the next time you meet you couldn't just bloody well tell him so in the first place.


Elf Unchained Rogue/2

No, no! Don’t edit the turn. Just ‘cause Phin feels that way, doesn’t mean i want anything changed :)


HP 20/20, AC 16, Init +1, Perc +1 | F+2, R+2, W+3, CMB+3, CMD 14 | Spells 1: 5/5 | LoH 5/5

Alua smiled in relief - she hadn't been sure that mentioning the seargent's name was going to be the right choice. She thanked him, as she carefully transcribed the addresses into her notebook.

Action 2

The next morning, Alua arrived looking flustered and wet. Her rain hat had blown off her head while riding one of the lifts (despite there being no wind), and she'd watched it tumble hundreds of feet down, until it was too small to see. No chance of ever finding that one again. She didn't know anybody who lost as many hats and scarves as she did.

The others were waiting when she arrived, and due to the silence she entered into, she wondered if they'd been talking about her. Awkwardly, she asked, "Shall we visit the painter first? Or the baker and his wife?"


Suggestions are nice. Decisions would be even better. And just generally a bit more posting from all the silent people would be welcome ;^)


Alua Riversong wrote:

Action 2

The others were waiting when she arrived, and due to the silence she entered into, she wondered if they'd been talking about her. Awkwardly, she asked, "Shall we visit the painter first? Or the baker and his wife?"

Sebastian woke up glad he did not have to lead a tour this day. He stretched and got ready for work. A few things needed to get done today.

He came to the common room, mumbled a 'good morning' and replied to Alua, "Well, we have flour on the crime scene and an angry baker, I know where my money is."

He looked at Phin and raised an eyebrow at her rumbling stomach, "And Phin sounds like she agrees."

-------
I vote to Bakery first


So, I think that's enough votes to get you moving towards the bakery... or at least, that's your plan... I might not be able to move things along tomorrow, as it looks to be choke full of meetings... but Wednesday at the very latest!


Elf Unchained Rogue/2

@Sebastian: No comment about Phin's suggestion to you about having someone keep a close eye on, ie stay at, Svans apartment?


Male-ish Warforged Magus/2
Sebastian ir'Brock wrote:

He came to the common room, mumbled a 'good morning' and replied to Alua, "Well, we have flour on the crime scene and an angry baker, I know where my money is."

He looked at Phin and raised an eyebrow at her rumbling stomach, "And Phin sounds like she agrees."

Daryl adjusted his stance slightly, the grating plates reminding all that the 'forged wasn't just a shadow in the corner. It was sometimes hard to remember the hulking automaton was there when he could crouch as still as a statue for hours.

"We shouldn't forget the artist, Lusican." the Warforged's mouth opened and closed as if to approximate the movements of the biologicals when speaking, but it never did look quite right. "If the victim had been trying to place his painting, which someone described as a 'horror,' for months with no success, we could have a third suspect."

I assume we all shared information so that Daryl would know about Phin's converstaion

Daryl fully stood for the first time in hours. "Throwing someone over a railing would suggest a crime of opportunity or passion. An unhinged or heavily medicated disgruntled artist might take advantage of both."

Daryl turned to Phin, "Or, a cunning professional might want us to think so, turning our suspicions elsewhere." Daryl shrugged, a noisy endeavor, and one that didn't fully convey the sincerity he intended, "Regardless, we should keep our minds open to all the possibilities."

Daryl is happy to tag along wherever you all want to go


Phin the Raccoon wrote:
@Sebastian: No comment about Phin's suggestion to you about having someone keep a close eye on, ie stay at, Svans apartment?

OOC: Good idea but is it practical for PBPs? You're basically splitting up the party and letting someone hang out to see if something happens while the action centers on the other people.

@Jussi: do you want to handle that?


Well... I do dislike splitting the party, assuming something will happen that will lead to one part of the party doing stuff (combat would be worst of all, since it could take RL weeks to move one part of the party 2 minutes in time, while the others couldn't progress much.

Staking out a place would certainly be a reasonable tactic when keeping tabs on suspects, however...

I can give you this much of a hint: no-one who's actually related to the murder is going to be interested in the empty apartment of the victim.

Anyways, I will move you back to Oakbridge tomorrow... I imagine you will shortly after have something more pressing to worry about than Svan's apartment.


Elf Unchained Rogue/2

Phin is more concerned about sleeping in a more comfortable bed and living the high life for a little while than she is about casing out the apartment :)

Daryl wrote:
Daryl turned to Phin, "Or, a cunning professional might want us to think so, turning our suspicions elsewhere." Daryl shrugged, a noisy endeavor, and one that didn't fully convey the sincerity he intended, "Regardless, we should keep our minds open to all the possibilities."

Phin agreed with Daryl with a nod of her head. Then she added, "It's true that we can't rule out anything at this point. However, the precise stab to the back of Svans' neck suggests someone other than a jealous baker or a high artist."


Turn 009 - Back to Oakbridge

Game on!


Sebastian's thoughts of talking to the baker were put on hold for a moment while he processed the information, "Excuse me but I couldn't help but overhear. Has something else happened in our neighborhood?"

He added, "Please elaborate. We know people in the Watch who may be able to help..."


"Oh, you haven't heard?" the customer asked, shaking her head in horrified wonder. "It's Mr. Delborde. He was found dead in his bed in the Bluebird Inn. They say someone had just about cut his head off!"


Stamina 0/4

Action 1
Erix, who trailed behind, perked up. "At least 2 people - they can sleep in shifts. I'm happy to volunteer."

Action 2
"It's a good point - but not everyone with training stays in the business. Especially with the number of veterans returning to civilian life." He shook his head "We had a guy nearly killed breaking up a bar brawl. Turns out the guy he was trying to stop had enough medals to stop a crossbow."

Action 3
Delborde? I need to see Alua's notes. Erix waited for someone to fill him in.


Elf Unchained Rogue/2

Action 1:

Erix wrote:
Erix, who trailed behind, perked up. "At least 2 people - they can sleep in shifts. I'm happy to volunteer."

Phin turned and looked at Erix and then back at Sebastian, "As am I." The rogue left out the part of her wanting to stay in a better place for a few days not to mention there may be food or wine that may go bad. And she also wouldn't mind poking around a bit more to get to know Svans better.

Action 3:

Bachelor? Like Svans...and what needs replacing that is costly? Phin breathed in deeply as the smells of the bakery enveloped her. Focusing on what the woman said, she responded, "That is horrible! Poor Sarfina, she's probably the one who found him, right?"


Phin wrote:
"That is horrible! Poor Sarfina, she's probably the one who found him, right?"

Right on the money, actually! Well done! And don’t bother looking at past notes, you were never told this NPC’s last name…

”Whoever it was, it had to be a right shock to the poor girl,” the customer agreed, eager to add a third wheel to the rumor wagon. ”Imagine! Two murders in as many days, here! The world is coming to an end, mark my words.”

”I hear the Watch is all over the Inn,” Elea added. ”A lot of good it does at this point. Where were they last night, I’d want to know… that’s when they would have been of some use!”


HP 20/20, AC 16, Init +1, Perc +1 | F+2, R+2, W+3, CMB+3, CMD 14 | Spells 1: 5/5 | LoH 5/5

I'm a bit confused. I thought Graff and Sarfina Pendrong were regular customers. Are they the owners of the Bluebird? And Mr. Delbourde was a customer at the inn - one we didn't meet yesterday and haven't heard of?

Action 1

Alua cocked her head to the side, watching Phin and Erix banter. Not for the first time she wondered if they were romantically involved. They seemed well-matched, for all their teasing about Phin's advanced age.

A movement along the floor caught her eye, and she looked down to see a vague, spirit-like shape flow towards Erix's feet. Unlike most spirits, this one lay flat, two-dimensionally along the ground, and had very little recognizable shape to it.

The oracle had seen it before - at first she'd taken it for Erix's shadow, but it seemed to come and go at will. And sometimes there were two or three of them, as if competing for the job of shadow. They never did anything really interesting, and they seemed to be unaware of Alua's ability to see them, so after a while she lost interest and looked away.

Action 3

Her brow furrowing, Alua asked, "What needs to be replaced?"


Alua Riversong wrote:
I'm a bit confused. I thought Graff and Sarfina Pendrong were regular customers. Are they the owners of the Bluebird? And Mr. Delbourde was a customer at the inn - one we didn't meet yesterday and haven't heard of?

OOC: I think we all know by now that games are not played the same in PBP and tabletop format. Each have their own pros and cons.

And I think that murder mysteries are hard to run in any format.

Long story short is that I am also lost. I'm not even sure what to ask the 'angry baker'. :(

I think someone (not me! :)) needs to start an 'NPC table' and a 'clues/theory table' that is accesible to all so we can refresh our memories before posting. Remember that a clue given to us an hour ago during a tabletop game may have been given to us days if not weeks ago in PBP.

Thoughts?


Male-ish Warforged Magus/2

Action 1:

Erix wrote:
Erix, who trailed behind, perked up. "At least 2 people - they can sleep in shifts. I'm happy to volunteer."
Phin the Raccoon wrote:
Phin turned and looked at Erix and then back at Sebastian, "As am I." The rogue left out the part of her wanting to stay in a better place for a few days not to mention there may be food or wine that may go bad. And she also wouldn't mind poking around a bit more to get to know Svans better.

"Unnecessary," Daryl accentuated the syllables so that it was clear he was put out. "I need no sleep. It should be me." The 'forged turned to Erix, "You are welcome to come along, but I suggest you bring a pillow. I'll wake you if there is something to punch." He then turned to Phin, "Or you. Makes little difference to me."

Action 3:

Daryl stood just outside the bakery listening to the conversation within. So many needless words. So much speculation. He wished the biologicals would just speak their minds.

His head fell a millimeter. It was a small movement, but it would have spoke volumes to another Warforged. His kind did not mince words...though he had learned through long conversations with Daen how to string unnecessary words together. No, most 'forged did not speak as he did. Most would gladly do a job, any job, to avoid having to speak.

But not him.

Daryl looked at his black armored hands. Two fingers and a thumb. He could not remember looking down and seeing anything else. And yet they looked, inexplicably, wrong.

Alua Riversong wrote:
Her brow furrowing, Alua asked, "What needs to be replaced?"

Daryl turned his head slightly. A motion that would have brought his ears, if he had such organs, into better alignment to hear. He didn't think about the motion and yet he couldn't explain why he did it. Was it some instinctual aping of the biologicals to make them feel more comfortable around him? Only a fool would be oblivious to how many Warforged made the biologicals feel. The man handing out flyers last night being an extreme example. Was that what he was doing? Trying to fit in? Or was it something else?

401 to 450 of 548 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post Discussion / GM Kirsdrake's Eberron Case Files (closed recruitment) Discussion All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.