GM SpiderBeard's Fall of Plaguestone: Group Two

Game Master Barvo Delancy

Battle Map and Game Art | Loot Tracker

Symbols: Action ◆ Free Action ◇ Reaction ↺


1 to 50 of 409 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | next > last >>

.

Arodus 1, AR 2719

Although some could say that Isger has seen better years, that's likely a lie. None of Isger's years have been that great. Isger has always been adjacent to power, never independent and capable of forging its own destiny. Founded as a vassal of Taldor it has since traded masters for diabolic Cheliax, who considers it a glorified trade route and source of some useful resources. Isger's masters have always taken from the land, but never given back.

Isger is best understood by its river. The mighty Conerica bisects the land, cutting west to east and providing Cheliax with a vital trade route to Druma and Lake Encarthan. The Conerica is Isger's lifeblood and identity and its industry, fortifications, and military concentrate solely on this one trade route. Its hinterlands are largely ignored, which proved to be the nation's undoing when goblins flooded out of the Chitterwood and devastated the countryside twenty years ago. The Goblinblood Wars were ended by a united force of several nations, but the massacre of entire towns has left the hinterlands more overgrown and wild than ever.

Isger is now rebuilding. The mass deaths on both sides from the war lead to a surge in undead and resulting alliances between rural communities and the goblin tribes that were once their enemies. Cheliax has taken a newfound interest in Isger and their relationship has become (for some) uncomfortably close. To the north, Lastwall has failed in its task of containing the Whispering Tyrant, and refugees from around Lake Encarthan have flooded south, some coming to Isger.

Right now though, you are leaving this land, traveling southwards towards the democratic city of Almas. It is here that we begin.

----

The caravan bangs noisily along this very poorly-maintained road, now largely a dirt track interrupted by uncomfortably large rocks. The scenery around you is verdant forest with spectacular mountains to both the east and the west. It is beautiful here, but isolated.

It has been three days since you left Elidir, climbing into the back of one of Bort Bargith’s wagons bound for the faraway Andoran capital of Almas. The smiling caravan
master cut your travel cost to only a handful of coppers, so long as you promised to protect the wagons should any trouble arise. Fortunately, your journey through the
hinterlands of Isger has been quiet, even if the ride itself has been far from comfortable.

As you broke camp this morning, Bort announced you should arrive at the town of Etran’s Folly by nightfall, and he promised a comfortable bed for the night as a reward for a long day’s travel. The caravan’s teamsters shared a chuckle between them, trading knowing glances and subtle nods, but soon enough you are on the road again, the wagon bouncing and creaking along the uneven trail.

You are all in the rear wagon, which you share with the food for the caravan, and the camp cook, an absolutely ancient elf who goes by Cooky. He's currently curled up amongst some sacks of flour, sleeping peacefully despite the incredibly uncomfortable ride.

Gameplay thread is open! This is free RP and as such don't expect much of consequence to happen, but you can try on your characters before the game gets going proper on Monday.


Male Human Cleric of Sarenrae 1 | HP: 17/17 | AC: 17 | F: +6, R: +4, W: +9 | Perc: +7 | Speed 25ft | Hero Points: 1/1 | Focus Points: 1/1 | Level 1 Spells: 1/2 | Heal Spells 2/2 Reactions: Shield Block | Conditions: None

Galen watches the scenery around them with wide-eyed wonder. He had spent years trying to convince his parents to let him see more of the world, and now he had his chance. reading about locations like this did not do them justice. He looks around at his travelling companions

Nice day today huh? . he says, not very smooth at starting a conversation. Anyone ever been to this Etran's Folly before? Wonder who Etran was? or what he did wrong?


Female NG Elven Champion 1 | HP: 17/17 | AC: 17 (19 shielded) | F: +6, R: +3, W: +6 | Perc: +4 | Speed 30ft | Hero Points: 0/1 | Focus points: 0/1 | Active conditions: none. |

Galen's words break Findlaine out of a blank, straight-faced stare into the woods around the trail.

"It is rather nice out here. Reminds me of home back in Kyonin," she says with a wan smile. "Never heard of Etran's Folly myself, but there surely must be a story behind the name."


Male Half-orc TN Barbarian 1 | HP: 20/22 | AC: 18 | F: +7, R: +5, W: +5 | Perc: +5 | Speed 25ft | Hero Points: 1/1 | Special Power: Rage | Reactions | Conditions: Raging

Zurkha scanned the horizon as they travelled, glowering as he did so. He felt it was probably best to be seen as doing his job, and not just some wild-eyed maniac from the mountains.

As the others speak of the town, Zurkha chimes in, his speech thick with an Orcish accent. "I do not see why he has to have done something wrong. Man has boat, uses it to take people across river, people pay man," he says. "Not what I'd choose to do with my life but I guess he makes it work."

Couldn't resist the malapropism, I'll try and restrain myself going forward. :) Two unrelated questions: 1) You have a preference for a language I steal words from to use as Orcish? Over the past few years I've used Russian to good effect there. 2) Does the caravan move fast enough to preclude walking at least some of the time? Strikes me that Zur would do that every so often to keep himself "loose."


.

Russian for Orcish is A-ok for me! And the caravan is slow and you can absolutely walk alongside it.


Male Goblin Wizard 1 HP: 12/12 | AC: 15 | F: +3, R: +5, W: +6 | Perc: +4 | Speed 25ft | Spells: 0: 5 1: 2 | | Hero Points: 1 | Reactions | Conditions: None

I’m all for the puns, bring it on. It took me a third reading to get it.

In a small corner of the wagon, a small green shape has been shuffling through loose sheets of paper hunched over them possessively, back turned to the others. They might have even forgotten about it for a while until...”Folly, not ferry. Means someone thought the town was a bad idea.” The figure turns around and the others see a small goblin with a dagger on its belt, in ragged cloths with a wide mouth full of sharp looking teeth. The goblin starts and hunches even smaller looking from person to person nervously, unsure of how they will react. He starts to fold the loose papers into a small thin book haphazardly without even looking.


.

*BANG*

The wagon suddenly lurches as the wheel hits a particularly awful rock, likely a remnant of the once-ancient road that was built here back when Taldor ran the joint. The force of the jolt sends Cooky flying out of his comfortable nest among the flour bags and back down. He still doesn't wake up. At this point you'd be convinced he was dead if you hadn't been dealing with this for the past three days. You distantly hear "Sorry!" from Bort up at the lead wagon.


Male Goblin Wizard 1 HP: 12/12 | AC: 15 | F: +3, R: +5, W: +6 | Perc: +4 | Speed 25ft | Spells: 0: 5 1: 2 | | Hero Points: 1 | Reactions | Conditions: None

Nosh’s papers go flying all around the wagon and he jumps up chasing after them muttering anxiously, ”No no NO, can’t loose them!”


Young Human Ranger | HP: 19/19 | AC 17 | F: +6, R: +9, W: +3 | Perc: +5 or +7 to initiative | Speed 25 ft | Hero Points 1/1 | Conditions: fit as a fiddle

Hoisting up Marin
Athletics: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23
while also sneakily sneaking on
Stealth: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 14
I believe Zurkha and Galen catch the act...

"Ahoy, we here're jus catchin' the end of the road ya know half price and whatnot - say if any of ya has any vittles and we ran outta water bit ago wouldn't trouble you fer some spare at that - furtherwits any idee exactly where this cabin is off ta yet?"

"I myself be Laurel and this here is me ma, pardon fer interduckshins!" And bows deeply to convey as much graciousness.

How many folks are on this wagon by the way? Bort, Cooky, "the teamster" and PCs? Are there others? Two horses I assume?


.

I'll answer your question with more detail!

The caravan continues to rumble noisily along its southwards journey. The caravan consists of six covered wagons, four of which are laden with supplies, trade goods, and trinkets. Bort makes his home in the lead wagon and the cabin built onto its back, while the final wagon is for passengers and the cook.

You are the only passengers on this particular journey, however over the past few days you've started to get to know the teamsters and crew working on the caravan.

Bort Bargith is of course the caravan master, a cheerful fellow who loves to tell stories that don't go anywhere.

Cooky shares the wagon with you and is the camp cook. The crew likes to nickname him cocky on account of the fact the ancient elf only has one ear, and tilts his head a lot to hear people.

Glunda is a very shy gnomish woman with some rudimentary druidic abilities. As such, she's fantastic with the pack animals, but has not said one word to any of you and sleeps alone near the horses.

Olf and Ulf are enormous Ulfen lads from the Land of the Linnorn Kings. They are identical twins who enjoy playing pranks.

Tamli is the overseer, a stern and half-orc who has been kind of awkward with you. As such, she's mostly interacted with Bort or been heard barking orders at the teamsters.

Although the caravan is on the move anyone can hop off and run to different carts or just amble alongside if they so wish.


Male Half-orc TN Barbarian 1 | HP: 20/22 | AC: 18 | F: +7, R: +5, W: +5 | Perc: +5 | Speed 25ft | Hero Points: 1/1 | Special Power: Rage | Reactions | Conditions: Raging

I'm just going to make a Dex check to try and grab one of Nosh's airborne papers...

Dex: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3

Ooops.

Zurkha lunges in vain, trying to grab one of the papers the goblin dropped as it floats by. As a breeze carries it off, the half-orc shrugs nonchalantly. "I hope it was nothing too vital."


Female NG Elven Champion 1 | HP: 17/17 | AC: 17 (19 shielded) | F: +6, R: +3, W: +6 | Perc: +4 | Speed 30ft | Hero Points: 0/1 | Focus points: 0/1 | Active conditions: none. |

Findlaine gets up and decides to walk behind the wagon after the jolt. Being just over six feet tall, she may have a better vantage off the wagon than on. She dons her helmet and straps on her shield, wanting to make sure that she is prepared if they run into any bandits along the trail.

When Laurel hikes up onto the wagon, Findlaine frowns at him but does not give him the spiel about law and order—that sort of talk is best left to the paladins. "Here is some water," she says, unfastening her waterskin from her belt and handing it over the side to the boy. "There should be some rations in my pack there. We're on the road to Almas, though we should be stopping tonight in Etran's Folly."


Male Human Cleric of Sarenrae 1 | HP: 17/17 | AC: 17 | F: +6, R: +4, W: +9 | Perc: +7 | Speed 25ft | Hero Points: 1/1 | Focus Points: 1/1 | Level 1 Spells: 1/2 | Heal Spells 2/2 Reactions: Shield Block | Conditions: None

Galen is a bit surprised to see someone just hop on to a caravan, but he came this way knowing there would be refugees in need. He offers a hand, helping to pull the older woman up and then offers a seat for both her and the young boy, moving further towards the front and sitting on a sack to make room

"Welcome to our little caravan! though really it's not ours, we're just the only other passengers. Bort up on the first wagon owns this caravan, he was nice enough to allow us passage! it looks like you guys have been through a lot, I'm sure you have quite the stories! please come sit down. make yourselves comfortable! Sarenrae bless your journey.

Galen is a little too friendly and excited about new people joining the caravan. he tries to be friendly, but it may come off as being socially awkward and a little over the top excited.

Wow, he looks like he might be a real refugee! I can't wait to find more people to help. this is way better than cleaning the temple back home


Young Human Ranger | HP: 19/19 | AC 17 | F: +6, R: +9, W: +3 | Perc: +5 or +7 to initiative | Speed 25 ft | Hero Points 1/1 | Conditions: fit as a fiddle

Overcome with two magnetic pulls - the base pang of prolonged thirst finally coming to quench, and the sentient drive to entertain the freely-given attention of others so as to fill their eyes and ears with gesture and story - Laurel attempts both hastily:

[slurp] "Awe twas goin' on a day an we was agathered roun the fire sharin' some fresh berries when straight outta crikin no-where acomes these forty-something" [slurp] "shamblin' ghodwicks what lookin real kinds a mean n surly no good and me fam'lee we is taken unawares - cept me ya know cuz my ears I heard 'em comin away back - anyway" [slurp] "an suddenly i be totally surrounded by 'em - forty ta one I tell ya" (Marin glances at her son eyebrow half-cocked with a knowing smile, then at Laurel's small audience, drinking her gift of water) "an'" [slurp] "I give 'em a THIS an a THAT" (Twirling his starknife to and fro) "and yeah they can't but help'n back away some - ya see I ben playin' at this awhile ya catch me - and" [slurp] "next thing I think ta look back and me entire fam idn't there 'tall so's I says to meself 'Aw crike it' and even though I coulda tookem all I turn crike aroun'" [slurp] "me Ma she wavin' at from the clearing yonder so I get like this" (Leaping motions bouncing around inside of wagon) "an' ain't none 'em kin catch me nossir" [slurp] "fore we know it BOM we're in tha woods runnin' faster inna kai-oat what sniff'd a hare" [slurp] "an then ya know we..."

(Assuming Galen and/or Findlaine ((or anyone for that matter)) continues to listen, Laurel continues on with his several day trek through the forest day-by-day and play-by-play adding even more stories of Wild Beasts whom he Defeated by either Scaring Them Off or Beating Them Down - all the while Marin, seeing their situation has changed for the better at the moment, casts another eye at Laurel, then at the other adults once more, and finally slips into an exhausted slumber...)

Tales of Laurel's Glory (Deception): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17

Oh dear that's mighty believable...


Male Goblin Wizard 1 HP: 12/12 | AC: 15 | F: +3, R: +5, W: +6 | Perc: +4 | Speed 25ft | Spells: 0: 5 1: 2 | | Hero Points: 1 | Reactions | Conditions: None

Nosh mutters an incantation, gestures with his small hand, and a spectral hand reaches out from his and grabs the last paper that flew away bringing it back to him. Looking at Zurkha, he mumbles ”Vital, yes vital! I have to have the formulae. My calculations aren’t enough.”

When and Marin hop up onto the wagon, Nosh reaches for his dagger and screeches, ”Intruders! Grab your weapons!” I’ll assume that one of the others settles Nosh down pretty quickly. Once the situation settles down, Nosh goes back to his corner of the wagon but listens to the story. Nosh is pretty skittish if you hadn’t realized.


Young Human Ranger | HP: 19/19 | AC 17 | F: +6, R: +9, W: +3 | Perc: +5 or +7 to initiative | Speed 25 ft | Hero Points 1/1 | Conditions: fit as a fiddle

Playfully "HA! Goblin-blood menace!" Laurel attempts to "fence" with Nosh and "dies" dramatically "OH" (slurp] "Ya got me, BLEEH" squirms into a "death" state and begins reciting eulogy "Here lies Laurel, Slayer of Beasts, Hero of Adventury, Martyr of Importance..." (continues reciting various "deeds" and "accomplishments" worthy of someone worthy of a proper post-humous celebration...)... Laurel plays "dead" until someone stirs him... else just sort of passes out of exhaustion for the night...


Male Goblin Wizard 1 HP: 12/12 | AC: 15 | F: +3, R: +5, W: +6 | Perc: +4 | Speed 25ft | Spells: 0: 5 1: 2 | | Hero Points: 1 | Reactions | Conditions: None

Nosh doesn’t realize at first that Laurel is kidding about fighting, but when he falls down and begins his recitation, Nosh cackles and says, Ah, a play! I saw one of those at Elidir!” Ah, this one is harmless then. Wait, did the others notice my magic? Must be careful.

This brings up a question I had. Would Galen have used magic during the trip so far? If so, Nosh would be very interested in him.


Male Human Cleric of Sarenrae 1 | HP: 17/17 | AC: 17 | F: +6, R: +4, W: +9 | Perc: +7 | Speed 25ft | Hero Points: 1/1 | Focus Points: 1/1 | Level 1 Spells: 1/2 | Heal Spells 2/2 Reactions: Shield Block | Conditions: None

Galen sits back and just let's the boy ramble. he really isn't sure what to say, or how to interject any statements of his own. he can barely understand the way the boy speaks... so when he falls over "dead", Galen just cocks an eyebrow and leaves him there, curious how long he would keep at it.

Galen probably hasn't used much magic, I don't see him as one that uses it much just to make tasks easier. though I'm sure he'll be using plenty of it soon. of course, he isn't hiding the fact that he is a Cleric, so Nosh could probably assume he can use magic

And I'm sure Nosh will probably get a WHOLE lot more interested once the fire magic comes out...


.

As the cart bumps down the road you see Ulf... or is it Olf? Hop from a wagon a little ways up and start shouting and waving. "Eh, Cooky! Someone! Haven't eaten in hours - throw a bit of cheese will ya? Is Cocky asleep again? Turn him so his ear is facing up!"

He stands in place as the wagon wheels up to him. He has a huge grin and holds out a hand for food as you slowly approach.


Young Human Ranger | HP: 19/19 | AC 17 | F: +6, R: +9, W: +3 | Perc: +5 or +7 to initiative | Speed 25 ft | Hero Points 1/1 | Conditions: fit as a fiddle

Laurel rouses suddenly at the mention of "cheese" and listens to Ulf (or Olf?), crawls over to Cooky, studies his position, and begins deciding if there is a "gentle" way to adjust his head so as to improve the angle at which he may better hear others speak...


.

Ulf, or maybe Olf jogs up. The wagons are uncovered and it's pretty easy to see the passengers. He blinks as he sees Laurel trying to rouse Cooky, and Marin having a snooze on a flour bag. "Hey wait a minute..."

Olf or Ulf, whichever he is, hops up onto the wagon. He is an enormous man, looming over the group. However he seems pretty cheerful. He has a booming voice with the telltale lilting accent of the far northern Ulfen people. "Huh, grabbing a ride are ye? Happens, nobody's gonna hurt you - looks like you need a break. You're gonna have to pay or work, them's Bort's rules." There's a moment as he looks at the state of Laurel and Marin. "Probly work. Anyways, cheese please!"

We're coming up for start of real gameplay so please let me know how you're spending your time right now. I assume you're all jsut chilling in the wagon but if anyone wants to jog alongside or engage in anything more active, let me know.


Young Human Ranger | HP: 19/19 | AC 17 | F: +6, R: +9, W: +3 | Perc: +5 or +7 to initiative | Speed 25 ft | Hero Points 1/1 | Conditions: fit as a fiddle

Laurel's teeth reflexively clinch when the man implies he must "work" - equally reflexively swivel's his neck to look over a Marin who gives an expected stern glance and nod - looks back at Ulf says "Okee mister we kin earn 'ar keep jus' we ben at the woods fer days an' are both weary 'n tired so if'n ya got what job a poor ol' mum 'n 'er son could support ta expuhdite ya find we're bein' with the spirit 'o' collaboratin' sumptin' good promise ya" and bows his head meekly to await the commands of this large and funny-talking northerner.

Laurel and Marin will perform whatever task they are expected to perform be that on- or off-wagon


1 person marked this as a favorite.
.

I -love- the way you write Laurel's accent.

Olf - perhaps Ulf stares at Laurel. He looks uncertain for a moment then shrugs. "Uh, sure. That sounds like yes. Good! Thanks strange person! Makes my job easier. Don't worry about doing work yet. Wait until our next stop and talk to Bort. I'll uh... get back to doing my job."

Without even asking for his cheese, he rushes back to the second wagon in the train.

The day passes on without further event, and without much being asked of anyone. The scenery is nice if a little boring, and the forest is quite nice. At one point, you spot a deer.

"Up ahead is Plaguestone!" Keldaran, your wagon driver, shouts from the front of the wagon.

Game proper will start tomorrow.


Female NG Elven Champion 1 | HP: 17/17 | AC: 17 (19 shielded) | F: +6, R: +3, W: +6 | Perc: +4 | Speed 30ft | Hero Points: 0/1 | Focus points: 0/1 | Active conditions: none. |

"Plaguestone? I thought we were stopping in Etran's Folly," Findlaine says, removing her helm and running her fingers through her hair.

Her hair, now having grown to about her shoulders, is blonde on top and black from about her ears down. Like many holy warriors of Iomedae, she was dying her hair and styling it like the Inheritor before she was driven out of Lastwall. She was already due for a style re-up months before, though there was not much time to be had during training.


.

Keldaran lets out a laugh and calls over his shoulder. "Same place. Folks in the know call it Plaguestone on account of a plague that nearly wiped it out twenty years ago. Crummiest town in Isger. Mayhap don't use that name around the locals though."


Male Half-orc TN Barbarian 1 | HP: 20/22 | AC: 18 | F: +7, R: +5, W: +5 | Perc: +5 | Speed 25ft | Hero Points: 1/1 | Special Power: Rage | Reactions | Conditions: Raging

Zurkha considers the exchange between Keldaran and Findlaine. "Just so I've got this right, 'Etran's Folly,' this is the good name for this town? Okay..." Zur raises and eyebrow, shrugging as he does.


Male Human Cleric of Sarenrae 1 | HP: 17/17 | AC: 17 | F: +6, R: +4, W: +9 | Perc: +7 | Speed 25ft | Hero Points: 1/1 | Focus Points: 1/1 | Level 1 Spells: 1/2 | Heal Spells 2/2 Reactions: Shield Block | Conditions: None

Sounds like a fun town.... but having a massive plague sure makes it sound like whoever called the place a folly wasn't too far off the mark. Are you sure we have to stay there tonight? can't continue on to a town called 'Etran's Wisdom' or 'Healing Rock' or something?


Male Goblin Wizard 1 HP: 12/12 | AC: 15 | F: +3, R: +5, W: +6 | Perc: +4 | Speed 25ft | Spells: 0: 5 1: 2 | | Hero Points: 1 | Reactions | Conditions: None

Nosh's ears perk as the talk of cheese and tries to snag some for himself without the others noticing.

Thievery: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25

At Zurkha's comment, Nosh snorts and chuckles to himself. "Keldaran, do you know why it was named Etran's Folly? How big is it?" Says Nosh as he nibbles on his cheese.


.

Nosh manages to extract an entire cheese wheel from beneath the small of Cooky's back without anyone noticing. Cooky yawns and stretches out, apparently more comfortable.

"No sure, probably someone named Etran was stupid about something. It's maybe a few hundred people but hard to tell with all the abandoned hou---"

ARROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...

Keldaran's voice goes quiet and the colour fades from his face as you hear a series of long, mournful howls emanating from the woods to either side of the caravan. Moments later, you hear cries of panic as a pack of mangy wolves descends from the forest with teeth bared!

Initiative:

Nosh Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 4 = 15
Galen Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12
Zurkha Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 20
Laurel Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12
Findlaine Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7
Wolves: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13

Round One:

Zurkha
Nosh
---
Wolves
---
Galen
Laurel
Findlaine

Zurkha and Nosh are up! Map is updated. For those new to PbP, instructions on how combat works will be in discussions. To get out of the wagon takes one action.


Male Goblin Wizard 1 HP: 12/12 | AC: 15 | F: +3, R: +5, W: +6 | Perc: +4 | Speed 25ft | Spells: 0: 5 1: 2 | | Hero Points: 1 | Reactions | Conditions: None

Nosh jerks to his feet at the sound of the howling wolves. Looking over the side of the wagon on his tiptoes, he sees the 2 on the west side of the wagon, points his finger at the one on the left (Green) and a glob of acid shoots from his hand at the wolf (Acid splash-2 actions). Nosh then ducks back behind the side of the wagon for cover without even checking to see if he hit the wolf. "Agh, wolves! Very vicious creatures!" (Take Cover-1 action)

Acd Splash: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17
Damage: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4


Male Half-orc TN Barbarian 1 | HP: 20/22 | AC: 18 | F: +7, R: +5, W: +5 | Perc: +5 | Speed 25ft | Hero Points: 1/1 | Special Power: Rage | Reactions | Conditions: Raging

Unsure of how the caravan drivers plan to handle this, Zurkha suppresses the urge to leap from the wagon, lest he be immediately isolated. Instead, he stands in the back of the wagon, sword ready should one of the wolves get too bold.

Ready action: if one of them gets within reach, I'll take a swipe at it.

Ready!:

Bastard Sword attack: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20
Slashing damage: 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11


Male Goblin Wizard 1 HP: 12/12 | AC: 15 | F: +3, R: +5, W: +6 | Perc: +4 | Speed 25ft | Spells: 0: 5 1: 2 | | Hero Points: 1 | Reactions | Conditions: None

Whoops, looks like the wolves are both just outside 30 ft. Nosh will use his Reach Spell feat to extend the range of his acid splash by 30 ft for one more action (I think that is how Reach spell works). Thus Nosh will not take cover.


Young Human Ranger | HP: 19/19 | AC 17 | F: +6, R: +9, W: +3 | Perc: +5 or +7 to initiative | Speed 25 ft | Hero Points 1/1 | Conditions: fit as a fiddle

Laurel, too, suppresses an urge, looking back at Marin, whom he is now responsible for, and whose voice has left an imprint unto his mind, as if his mental track uses his own voice, but his mother's words "We must act to protect eachother but never too rashly" in the cool flow of his native tongue...

If any of the Cabin-mates strike a wolf:

Spoiler:

"AAAAWW right inda' crikin' nuzzer!"


.

Nosh whips up a spell, sending a green glob of acid soaring through the woods. It lands right on a wolf's side, drawing a yelp of pain! Zurkha grabs his sword and just waits, eyeballing the two wolves staring at him and daring one to get close.

GM Rolls:

Zurkha
Nosh
---
Wolves:
Red
Yellow
Green (-4)
Black
---
Galen
Laurel
Findlaine

Galen, Findlaine, and Laurel are up!


Young Human Ranger | HP: 19/19 | AC 17 | F: +6, R: +9, W: +3 | Perc: +5 or +7 to initiative | Speed 25 ft | Hero Points 1/1 | Conditions: fit as a fiddle

Aren't the wolves next?

"Why'na crik're these wooves tryna charge up this're wagon musta be durn'd hungry or what" and studies the eastern most wolf.

<>Draws starknife
<>Draws dagger
<>Rolls Nature: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (11) + 3 = 14

Also, is the wagon's position going to change during this encounter? Like if we stay on it is it going to move South a few squares?


Male Human Cleric of Sarenrae 1 | HP: 17/17 | AC: 17 | F: +6, R: +4, W: +9 | Perc: +7 | Speed 25ft | Hero Points: 1/1 | Focus Points: 1/1 | Level 1 Spells: 1/2 | Heal Spells 2/2 Reactions: Shield Block | Conditions: None

Did the wolves approach at all during their turn? looks like they are staying pretty far back

Galen sees the wolves circling, but isn't sure if they will attack an armed caravan.
<> Galen draws his sword
<> He hops down from the wagon
<> He raises his buckler (AC is 18 this round)

If attacked by a wolf, Galen will use the shield block reaction


Female NG Elven Champion 1 | HP: 17/17 | AC: 17 (19 shielded) | F: +6, R: +3, W: +6 | Perc: +4 | Speed 30ft | Hero Points: 0/1 | Focus points: 0/1 | Active conditions: none. |

"Protect the horses!" Findlaine yells as she draws her longsword. From there, she will move down toward the horses and then raises her shield.

Actions:

1-Draw weapon
2-Move
3-Raise shield

Reaction:

I will shield block if I get attacked or glimpse of redemption if someone else does, whichever triggers first


.

Gah today is crazy and I zigged when I should have zagged. The wolves are TOTALLY next. Galen, Laurel, and Findlaine can re-do their actions.

The wagon is currently stopped. Note that the wagon is low enough you can engage in melee - it will take an action to get down though.

GM Rolls:

Attack: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19 Damage: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5
Attack: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21 Damage: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5
Fort: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9 Fort: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 9

The four wolves lope in to surround the caravan. As they approach, Zurkha chops down with his sword instantly killing one of them. Leaping up against the edge of the wagon, the wolves bite at Zurkha and Nosh. Up close, the wolves are mangy, sickly-looking specimens. Their nasty yellow teeth sink in with raking bites on Zurkha and Nosh. As they bite, there is a sudden intense itching sensation. Both Zurkha and Nosh become covered in fleas!

Round One con't:

Zurkha (-5) (sickened 1)
Nosh (-5) (sickened 1)
---
Wolves
---
Galen
Laurel
Findlaine

Both Zurkha and Nosh take 5 damage, and have fleas! Fleas means you are sickened 1. A single interact action will remove the fleas and the condition.

Everyone is up!


Female NG Elven Champion 1 | HP: 17/17 | AC: 17 (19 shielded) | F: +6, R: +3, W: +6 | Perc: +4 | Speed 30ft | Hero Points: 0/1 | Focus points: 0/1 | Active conditions: none. |

Findlaine sees her companions get attacked by the wolves and springs to action. She will get out of the cart, draw her sword, and move to flank the wolf that is next to Zurkha. "Draw their focus! Keep them away from the horses!"


Male Human Cleric of Sarenrae 1 | HP: 17/17 | AC: 17 | F: +6, R: +4, W: +9 | Perc: +7 | Speed 25ft | Hero Points: 1/1 | Focus Points: 1/1 | Level 1 Spells: 1/2 | Heal Spells 2/2 Reactions: Shield Block | Conditions: None

Redoing my round 1

Galen's eyes go wide as the wolves attack, half in fear half in excitement. he yells out
Back, mangy beasts! back in the name of Sarenrae! seeing them attacking his allies, Galen brings his hand forward and suddenly the two wolves on his side of the cart are engulfed in flame!

<><>Burning Hands (DC 17 Basic Reflex Save for both wolves)
burning hands damage: 2d6 ⇒ (1, 6) = 7
<>Raise buckler (AC 18 this round)


Male Goblin Wizard 1 HP: 12/12 | AC: 15 | F: +3, R: +5, W: +6 | Perc: +4 | Speed 25ft | Spells: 0: 5 1: 2 | | Hero Points: 1 | Reactions | Conditions: None

HP 7/12 | AC 16 | Shield Active

Nosh steps away from the wolves to the other side of the wagon (<> Step) and scratches at the fleas wildly while he yells, "AHH, biting and pinching pests!" (<> remove fleas) and then his fingers twirl in a motion, arm straight out in front of him and he mutters under his breath and a slight shimmer appears in a circle shielding him (<> cast shield-+1 AC).

OK, so the Shield spell says that you can use the shield block reaction with the shield but Shield Block is a feat, so do you also have to have the feat to use the shield spell to shield block?


Male Half-orc TN Barbarian 1 | HP: 20/22 | AC: 18 | F: +7, R: +5, W: +5 | Perc: +5 | Speed 25ft | Hero Points: 1/1 | Special Power: Rage | Reactions | Conditions: Raging

"Agh, damn mutt!"

Zurkah furiously swats away the pests crawling on him from the first wolf, then calls on the yarost inside him. Flames lick along the blade of his sword, and he swings furiously at the second wolf to come within reach of him.

1. Interact to remove the pests, as per your post
2. Rage, gaining 3 THP, -1 AC, and +4 fire damage.
3. Strike at the wolf near me.

Sword attack: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20 (target is flanked)
Sword damage: 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7 (+4 fire from Rage, am I reading it right that this is basically a separate "chunk" of damage?)

Orcish:
yarost tr. rage


.

You can 100% use shield block with the shield spell. The spell text grants you the reaction.

GM Rolls:

Reflex: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 201d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 18

FWOOSH Galen's magic roasts two of the wolves, who dodge most of it but are still badly injured. Zurkha flies into a rage after being bitten and brutally strikes a wolf, almost but not quite killing it while Findlaine circles around.

Round One con't:

Zurkha (-5) (sickened 1)
Nosh (-5) (sickened 1)
---
Wolves:
Green (-3)
Black (-3)
Yellow (-7)
---
Galen
Laurel
Findlaine

Laurel is up!


Young Human Ranger | HP: 19/19 | AC 17 | F: +6, R: +9, W: +3 | Perc: +5 or +7 to initiative | Speed 25 ft | Hero Points 1/1 | Conditions: fit as a fiddle

Redoing Round One

"Aye that thar woov bite look downright despairin' an prolly hurt a bit don it" to Nosh. "I'm a giv'um a THIS an' a THAT"

<1>Draws "lucky" starknife
<2>Attacks wolf nearest Nosh
<3>Attacks wolf nearest Nosh
(If both wolves nearest Nosh are downed, instead <3>Draw dagger)

Starknife Swipe: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (20) + 7 = 27 @ Slashing Starknife Damage: 1d4 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3
Starknife Plunge: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7 @ Piercing Starknife Damage: 1d4 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4

"ARRRROOOOOOOOOOOO" Back at the wolf...

Deadly Starknife Critical Hit: 1d4 + 2 + 1d6 ⇒ (1) + 2 + (6) = 9 additional slashing damage

So 12 total slashing damage to the wolf nearest Nosh (that bit him). Laurel howls with glee.


.

Yikes busy day for me.

GM Rolls:

Initiative: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 26
Will: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 81d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 251d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 81d20 + 9 ⇒ (18) + 9 = 271d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26
Attack: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 221d20 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 41d20 - 4 ⇒ (12) - 4 = 8
Attack: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 251d20 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 31d20 - 4 ⇒ (18) - 4 = 14
Damage: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4
Damage: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2
Fort: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 101d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8

Gripping the four-pointed weapon of Desna in his hand, Laurel swipes out at a leaping wolf with gusto. The starknife sticks right into the eye socket and Laurel twists before bearing down, killing the wolf instantly!

A loud snarling alerts you all as two of the wolves fall. Looking over to your right you see an absolutely enormous wolf down the trail, with horrific bright green salivia oozing from its maw. It rears back its head and howls! The sound chills Laurel and Nosh to their bones. The wolves in combat with you join in and down the caravan you hear the howls from the other attacking wolves.

Then, the two wolves attack, leaping at Laurel and Findlaine respectively. Both are bitten, thankfully not too seriously.

Round Two:

Zurkha (-5) (sickened 1)
Nosh (-5) (sickened 1)
---
Caustic Wolf
Wolves:
Green (-3)
Yellow (-7)
---
Galen
Laurel
Findlaine

Laurel takes 2 damage, Findlaine takes 4 damage and both have fleas (sickened 1). In addition, Laurel and Nosh are both frightened 1 from the wolf's howl. The frightened effect only lasts one round. Megawolf is on the map. Everyone is up!


Young Human Ranger | HP: 19/19 | AC 17 | F: +6, R: +9, W: +3 | Perc: +5 or +7 to initiative | Speed 25 ft | Hero Points 1/1 | Conditions: fit as a fiddle

Status Summary

Spoiler:

"Frightened" imposes a status penalty to all checks and DCs.
"Sickened" imposes a status penalty to all checks and DCs.

As I understand that bonuses and penalties of the same type ("status" in these cases) do not stack, overall this assigns to Laurel a -1 to all his attacks, saves, skills, and AC.

"Lookee Nosh det durn' woov done added me s'more jeepers a crawlin' mah skin likey ain't hadda fresh cleanin' in well o'er quite aways anyhow maybe a few moons reckon... (Now reacting to the sound of the White Wolf's howl, Laurel runs in a tiny circle in place, struggling to gather his wits) "Nah I musta summoned anuther o' dem ya cuz I always knew me ma she tol' ne'er to cry woov and this'd be I guess what'n i git!"

<1> Attacks wolf nearest Nosh
<2> Draws dagger (now wielding two weapons)
<3> Hunt Prey vs. White Wolf

Sickened Starknife Stab: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 181d4 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6

If that don't drop him Laurel blurts: "Eh Nosh wouldn't ya mine'n help me finish this'n mangey off?"

Spinning on his heels, a little scared, a little dirtier than usual, Laurel stares down this largest foe with a madcap smile. For Laurel, perhaps atypical for "ranger" types, the thrill of "hunting" is expressed verbally; he finds himself shouting at the White Wolf:

"Yer gon hafta do bitter 'n that ya mangle-face paw-legged salty-drool ne'er see the light 'o day agin what skat'd be leavin' aroun ghodwick-uva stum-buck! Oh ya I'll tear ye a new belly I will, you jus'n wait 'n get a lil closer an' I be showin' whatz what here!"


.

With the wolf already injured from the attacks, Laurel fights past the fleas and terror to end the life of the wolf Nosh just lit on fire. The huge canine collapses to the ground as Laurel yanks free the starknife.

Another wolf down! The rest of y'all are up!


Male Goblin Wizard 1 HP: 12/12 | AC: 15 | F: +3, R: +5, W: +6 | Perc: +4 | Speed 25ft | Spells: 0: 5 1: 2 | | Hero Points: 1 | Reactions | Conditions: None

HP 7/12 | AC 15+1-1=15 Shield active (Shield Block if possible) and Frightened active

Ray of Enfeeblement: 1d20 + 7 - 1 ⇒ (4) + 7 - 1 = 10

Nosh, spooked by the appearance of the huge white wolf and it’s terrifying howl, gets distracted from his response to Laurel and fires off a sickly yellow bolt of energy in its direction. Ray of Enfeeblement but I don’t think it will matter considering my roll. Nosh cowers in fear on the other side of the cart and raises his magical shield again, readied to take whatever blow the wolf is offers and yells, ”Save me! It will eat me!” as he clutches injuries to him. When Laurel finishes off the wolf on the side, Nosh points to the white wolf and says, ”Kill it, Kill it! Before it eats me!”

Thanks for the status summaries! Saves me from having to look so much stuff up on my phone!


Young Human Ranger | HP: 19/19 | AC 17 | F: +6, R: +9, W: +3 | Perc: +5 or +7 to initiative | Speed 25 ft | Hero Points 1/1 | Conditions: fit as a fiddle

"Did I 'ear ya just cindered 'em somethin' right Zz... zr... Zur... waz'r name?" to Zurkha...

... and to Nosh "Oh an' we'un do lot more'n jus' that not tah worry yer green dell'cut feengers!"...

1 to 50 of 409 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM SpiderBeard's Fall of Plaguestone: Group Two All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.