GM SpiderBeard's Fall of Plaguestone: Group Two

Game Master Barvo Delancy

Battle Map and Game Art | Loot Tracker


151 to 200 of 258 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>

Male Human Cleric of Sarenrae 1 | HP: 17/17 | AC: 17 | F: +6, R: +4, W: +9 | Perc: +7 | Speed 25ft | Hero Points: 1/1 | Focus Points: 1/1 | Level 1 Spells: 1/2 | Heal Spells 2/2 Reactions: Shield Block | Conditions: None

who do you think might have done this? Galen asks the sheriff.


Male Goblin Wizard 1 HP: 12/12 | AC: 15 | F: +3, R: +5, W: +6 | Perc: +4 | Speed 25ft | Spells: 0: 5 1: 2 | | Hero Points: 1 | Reactions | Conditions: None

Nosh stays back and lets the others take the lead in talking with the sheriff, nervous about how the he might be misconstrued but answers any questions asked directly to him.


.

As Laurel babbles his innocence, he casts a side-eye to Delma. Her shock and horror seem pretty genuine. Rolth snaps at Laurel. "Quiet! M'trying to think. Let's talk int hes table--- oh come on."

Zurkha quickly heads over to the kitchen as Rolth groans. He pokes his head in to see Amora collapsed in a corner, crying uncontrollably. She does not respond to his request that she join them. Rolth walks over to Zurkha and puts a heavy hand on his shoulder.

"She ain't going nowhere. I gotta talk with you folks first. Come on now big fella."


Young Human Ranger | HP: 17/19 | AC 17 | F: +6, R: +9, W: +3 | Perc: +5 or +7 to initiative | Speed 25 ft | Hero Points 1/1 | Conditions: two levels of fatigue

Scratching his head "Ye know Shairf, thet ol' Bort whut menchin thet 'e got a locksbocks fer keepin' combs whut raise'em frum the ded an' seein' as 'e arty done'n kicked and there cuttin' up wif Frazma whom she'd be judgin' yer soul on yer way te tha nex' world, mighta be worf a try cuz'n 'e said t'woodent be the first time less'n all det 'e said was all'n'all bluster?" Laurel helpfully adds to the list of possible ideas...


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Half-orc TN Barbarian 1 | HP: 18/22 | AC: 18 | F: +7, R: +5, W: +5 | Perc: +5 | Speed 25ft | Hero Points: 1/1 | Special Power: Rage | Reactions | Conditions: Raging
Rolth wrote:
"Come on now big fella."

Zur isn't keen on the handsy approach...

Zurkha looks down at the hand on his shoulder with a little side-eye, and eyes up Rolth. "You don't think we did this somehow..."


Female NG Elven Champion 1 | HP: 17/17 | AC: 17 (19 shielded) | F: +6, R: +3, W: +6 | Perc: +4 | Speed 30ft | Hero Points: 1/1 | Focus points: 0/1 | Active conditions: none. |

Findlaine remains in shock after Bort's death. She has seen too many in such a short time die such a sudden, untimely death. As the sheriff and Zurkha appear to be ready for a confrontation of some kind, she breaks out of her shock and turns to the two men.

"Feel free to ask us questions, but know that none of us would have anything to gain from this," she says, pulling out her holy symbol and holding up like a badge. "Under the watchful eyes of the Inheritor I will see justice done."

Rolls:

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22


Male Human Cleric of Sarenrae 1 | HP: 17/17 | AC: 17 | F: +6, R: +4, W: +9 | Perc: +7 | Speed 25ft | Hero Points: 1/1 | Focus Points: 1/1 | Level 1 Spells: 1/2 | Heal Spells 2/2 Reactions: Shield Block | Conditions: None

Galen straightens himself up and stands beside Findlaine.
we want to get to the bottom of this as much as anyone. you have before you favored of both Iomedae and Sarenrae. we vouch for these: the half-orc, the young man, and even the goblin. but we will also do whatever we can to help you get to the truth of the matter, but you need to show us some trust.

diplomacy: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23


.

Assuming you go along peacefully with Rolth.

Rolth seems to realize he's antagonizing Zurkha and keeps his hands to himself. He finally leads you to the stables for a quick talk. "Look folks, I don't think you did this - you were helping him! You're an Iomedean for the love of the Gods, you ain't no murderer. And why kill a feller with some poison when you coulda just stabbed him on a caravan or something. I ain't suspecting you, but..."

He looks around a little nervously. "I need some help. All I have to do as Sheriff here is break up bar brawls and solve disputes when someone's chicken ranges too far. I gotta question all the guests here but if you can do... well anything, that'd be great. Just need to work together ya know? I know where everyone in this town lives and nobody really has the means to leave the place. Let me know what I can do to help and we'll make sure we solve this, right? Right!"


Young Human Ranger | HP: 17/19 | AC 17 | F: +6, R: +9, W: +3 | Perc: +5 or +7 to initiative | Speed 25 ft | Hero Points 1/1 | Conditions: two levels of fatigue

Laurel boastingly offers "Well Shairf ya come ta the rite place cuz ain't no'one meaner den me and me new frenz (and me ma) an' furtherwits we ain' scart'ta no wooves no farmers no nuthins" to Zurkha "ain' that right Zurkha?" back to the Sheriff "an ye kin trus' that whosever kilt our dear frend Bort gun pay righty so like a THAT an' a THIS" Laurel suddenly pulls out his knives and starts twirling them while "fighting" with a bushel of hay, shredding it to bits, before "switching roles" and continuing in a different voice "Alrighty I ben beat I confess you's all ees jus too strong fer me now I surrender freeley" back to his own voice "Yeah thas' right ya lernt ta never usin' no poizens them turnips not ever ya hear?" and "switching roles" (and voices) again "Yez I promise I swears I give ups" now addressing the Sheriff again "as himself" "Ya see it'd could be gun go like such an' like I said: We iz yer folk, us 'ere!" and bows in acceptance of future gratitude...

...and after a quarter-beat, Laurel lifts his head with a scrunched face conveying a puzzled look, and spins to address Nosh "Speakin' on such, eh Nosh, where do we start ya think? I mean do this town gotta poth-a-carry or some its? Maybe ye kin use ur magicks what fin' out?!"...


Male Human Cleric of Sarenrae 1 | HP: 17/17 | AC: 17 | F: +6, R: +4, W: +9 | Perc: +7 | Speed 25ft | Hero Points: 1/1 | Focus Points: 1/1 | Level 1 Spells: 1/2 | Heal Spells 2/2 Reactions: Shield Block | Conditions: None

"We would be happy to help get to the bottom of what happened to our companion. we will do what we can to help you within the confines of the law of the town. is there anything you can tell us about where we might start? anyone that doesn't like Bort, or who is really into herbs and such? do you think this has anything to do with the Acid Wolves?


Male Goblin Wizard 1 HP: 12/12 | AC: 15 | F: +3, R: +5, W: +6 | Perc: +4 | Speed 25ft | Spells: 0: 5 1: 2 | | Hero Points: 1 | Reactions | Conditions: None

Nosh startles when Laurel addresses him directly and stutters for a second at the attention. "I-I-I d-don't know anything about herbs and apothecarial business, but given a few minutes, I could see if there was any magic at work...Galen is on to something I think. We need to know if anyone has knowledge of what herbs would cause this reaction. That doesn't mean that they did it necessarily, but they might have a clue. I'll see if I can find anything." Nosh plonks down right there and pulls out his book with the loose papers and rifles through them, focusing on one page when he finds it and studies for a while (10 minutes), and then looks up at the others at the end of his study. "OK, I can detect magic within a few feet of me, but I can't give you much more information than that. I don't even know if it will pick up on magic having been used or not, but I thought it was worth a try." When the others are ready, Nosh will go to where ever Bort's body is and cast Detect magic to see what he finds.


Male Half-orc TN Barbarian 1 | HP: 18/22 | AC: 18 | F: +7, R: +5, W: +5 | Perc: +5 | Speed 25ft | Hero Points: 1/1 | Special Power: Rage | Reactions | Conditions: Raging

No longer feeling antagonized by the Sheriff, Zurkha does his best to listen carefully, considering the man's words. "Bort was good man, took a chance on a muzhlan(1) from the mountains. I am not sure where to begin in finding his killer, but if they try to commit more violence I will happily stop them," Zurkah sets his jaw grimly, clenching his fists as he finishes speaking.

Orcish tr.:
1. bumpkin, roughneck


.

Rolth looks blankly at Laurel before nodding once. "Uh sure that sounds good." It's pretty clear he didn't understand a word but is willing to go along with whatever.

"Well... I'm gong to question those who are here. We can't keep everyone here all night but everyone in town knows each other and it ain't that easy to just walk off. So anyone who isn't here, we can find and talk to. You were trying for the kitchen, maybe start there? Check his bowl? I dunno. Most of the time around here ya talk to someone who did wrong you find out soon enough, so I'll talk with the farmers. As for enemies... Bort was always pretty popular. If someone didn't like him, they didn't talk much about it. But I dunno everyone on his caravan."


Young Human Ranger | HP: 17/19 | AC 17 | F: +6, R: +9, W: +3 | Perc: +5 or +7 to initiative | Speed 25 ft | Hero Points 1/1 | Conditions: two levels of fatigue

Laurel licks his hand and pats against his cowlick to flatten it, then confidently walks up to the first person he sees and begins asking questions about where they were this morning and afternoon, with whom they spoke and about what, and how did they regard Bort generally (as a friend or as a foe), to which, if encountering any resistance, he will counter by invoking "Wull seein' as I ben done ' n Dep-You-Tyezed by nunuther 'n the Shairf hisself, me an' my frends here (an' me ma) we be the ones Imb-You-D by'na Power tha State what ta' askin' the questions 'round here an git ta the bottom 'o this 'ere mess what taken' hours or days or further an' that their Co-Oper-Ashun bein' at most helpful towards the In-Vest-Ig-A-Shun underway not-wit'standin as ta clear their own names from the possibel list 'o Suspex fully-includin' all remainin' servivors with the sole exclushin of me 'an my companions what onlee rode inta town today empty upon a killin' motive an side-kickin' wi' tha Law currently..." perhaps also adding a bit about being Protectors via compelling re-tell of the Battles either with the wolves or the farmers (again).

Spoiler:

Gather Information (Untrained) @ 1d20+2 (Secret Check)


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Female NG Elven Champion 1 | HP: 17/17 | AC: 17 (19 shielded) | F: +6, R: +3, W: +6 | Perc: +4 | Speed 30ft | Hero Points: 1/1 | Focus points: 0/1 | Active conditions: none. |

Findlaine stifles a chuckle at Laurel's deputy routine and focuses herself. We've got to find Bort's killer. He took a chance on us. The man didn't deserve to die like this.

Findlaine will head into the kitchen, as suggested by the sheriff, and see if there is anyone in there to ask about the events of the night.

Questions:

1d20+5 for gather information
"Who prepared the food that Bort ate? Who brought the food out to the table? Has anyone who works here been acting strangely the past few days? Did anyone leave through the kitchen during the bar fight?


Male Human Cleric of Sarenrae 1 | HP: 17/17 | AC: 17 | F: +6, R: +4, W: +9 | Perc: +7 | Speed 25ft | Hero Points: 1/1 | Focus Points: 1/1 | Level 1 Spells: 1/2 | Heal Spells 2/2 Reactions: Shield Block | Conditions: None

Galen will examine Bort's dishes that are still at the table, looking for any powder or weird smells or anything that may help identify the poison used.

perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 26
medicine: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11

he is not particularly knowledgable about alchemical substances, but he hopes to find a trace of the poison to show to one of the others who might know more about such things.


.

As a note, gather information is meant to summarize 2 hours of various conversations. The game is a little more granular than that so those gather information checks can be treated as diplomacy.

===============
Laurel
===============

Laurel wanders around and the first person he runs into is the stablehand, Edra who is hanging in the stables with She seems friendly enough. She's friendly enough and already pretty drunk considering the events of the night. With her is Glunda, the gnomish teamster from the caravan.

"Oh we all loved Bort! Came through every time with good stuff for everyone, friendly fellow, fun stories nobody believed. Can't think of any enemies he'd have. Best I've got for you is that Trin and Phinick both ran out through the stables during that big fight; Trin had a wound on her cheek. Phinick just looked scared... 'course he always looks scared."

=============
Everyone Else
=============

Galen goes to investigate Bort's bowl, but turns out it was brought to the kitchen.

The kitchen itself is a nice country kitchen with a large hearth. As Galen investigates the bowl, he is taken aback by a strange smell - it has a pungent, floral odor to it.

The only person to talk to is Delma. "Amora ran out in tears, she'll be at home. Poor dear. Thinks people will believe her cooking killed someone. I think Trin and Phinick left during that fight. As for the food - well Amora always makes the meals, so she prepared it. Plating and serving would be either Trin or Phinick. May need to talk to Amora for the details."


Male Half-orc TN Barbarian 1 | HP: 18/22 | AC: 18 | F: +7, R: +5, W: +5 | Perc: +5 | Speed 25ft | Hero Points: 1/1 | Special Power: Rage | Reactions | Conditions: Raging

I don't have anything to plausibly add at this point. I suspect Zurkah would have gone with Findlaine into the kitchen, then when he heard Amora's whereabouts, asked for directions.


Young Human Ranger | HP: 17/19 | AC 17 | F: +6, R: +9, W: +3 | Perc: +5 or +7 to initiative | Speed 25 ft | Hero Points 1/1 | Conditions: two levels of fatigue

Hot with a single "lead" Laurel bounds back to the first friendly face he sees:

Spoiler:

1 > Findlaine
2 > Galen
3 > Nosh
4 > Zurkha

First Random Friendly Face: 1d4 ⇒ 3

"Nosh NOSH I know who dunnit! Edra frum the stable there what under the effecks of thet turnip ale we all drunk dun reveeled 'twas a Trin and Phinick werkin' cahoots tah put Bort under Evadinsed by the fack that them dun runt aways win all thet trubble started wif a slash onner cheek (it wasn't me that put eet there you 'member alls I put up was me dukes an' alls I put down waz me moves) and lookin' scart like 'fraid we'd find out an look we dun it Nosh we dun it quick halp me go git the Shairf!" And, unless Nosh acts quickly and decisively, takes off sprinting into the directions he thinks he'll maybe find the Sheriff...


Male Human Cleric of Sarenrae 1 | HP: 17/17 | AC: 17 | F: +6, R: +4, W: +9 | Perc: +7 | Speed 25ft | Hero Points: 1/1 | Focus Points: 1/1 | Level 1 Spells: 1/2 | Heal Spells 2/2 Reactions: Shield Block | Conditions: None

Hey, anyone know something about herbs or alchemical poisons? this bowl smells really funky, I'm sure it has the poison in it! if we can identify it we can maybe find the rest of it...


Male Goblin Wizard 1 HP: 12/12 | AC: 15 | F: +3, R: +5, W: +6 | Perc: +4 | Speed 25ft | Spells: 0: 5 1: 2 | | Hero Points: 1 | Reactions | Conditions: None

Nosh listens intently to Laurel, but squints as he tries to puzzle through the thick accent. Oh, Phinick, yes, might be him. Who is Trin? I’ve forgotten. Also the man with the mustache ran out fast.” Nosh turns to the sheriff and says, ”who was that older man with the mustache? Ran out of here quick while the fight was still going.”


Female NG Elven Champion 1 | HP: 17/17 | AC: 17 (19 shielded) | F: +6, R: +3, W: +6 | Perc: +4 | Speed 30ft | Hero Points: 1/1 | Focus points: 0/1 | Active conditions: none. |

"It sounds like a good first lead would be this Amora person," Findlaine says to the group. "Delma, could you tell us where she lives? If she knows as much as you think she does then she could really be a big help in finding Bort's killer."

"As for Laurel's lead... well, we may as well investigate whatever we can. Trin and Phinick have certainly acted suspiciously given the circumstances."


.

Still here guys. Let me know what your next move is - if you want to investigate more around the Feedmill or go to a new location. It is evening by the way and going too late will fatigue you.


Male Half-orc TN Barbarian 1 | HP: 18/22 | AC: 18 | F: +7, R: +5, W: +5 | Perc: +5 | Speed 25ft | Hero Points: 1/1 | Special Power: Rage | Reactions | Conditions: Raging
Findlaine wrote:
"As for Laurel's lead... well, we may as well investigate whatever we can. Trin and Phinick have certainly acted suspiciously given the circumstances."

Zurkha carefully considers Findlaine's comment. "Maybe we should split up? Find Amora, and these Trin and Phinick fellows? It's getting late."


Male Human Cleric of Sarenrae 1 | HP: 17/17 | AC: 17 | F: +6, R: +4, W: +9 | Perc: +7 | Speed 25ft | Hero Points: 1/1 | Focus Points: 1/1 | Level 1 Spells: 1/2 | Heal Spells 2/2 Reactions: Shield Block | Conditions: None

we don't know this town at all, I don't like the idea of wandering off alone when one of our caravan was just killed.. Galen looks around nervously. Let's stick together?

Galen is anxious to find out what happened, but doesn't want to be out too far after dark. maybe if we talk to one or two tonight and follow up with the rest in the morning?


Male Half-orc TN Barbarian 1 | HP: 18/22 | AC: 18 | F: +7, R: +5, W: +5 | Perc: +5 | Speed 25ft | Hero Points: 1/1 | Special Power: Rage | Reactions | Conditions: Raging

Zurkha nods at Galen's concerns. "You make good point. Do you think one of these is more urgent than the others?"


Young Human Ranger | HP: 17/19 | AC 17 | F: +6, R: +9, W: +3 | Perc: +5 or +7 to initiative | Speed 25 ft | Hero Points 1/1 | Conditions: two levels of fatigue

Nodding his head in agreement with Galen "No use'n splittin' up 'ere cuz yer'na prolly need mah Proteckshin if'n whut other wooves 'er farmers comes a'lookin" Turns to Zurkha "Matter fack Zurkha bein' that me'n the Alf iz virchully in agreement, we is simply waitin' on ya to come aroun' on tha ishew" Now spinning to Findlaine "Ain' we Findlaine?!" Dashing his eyelashes in awaitance of the eldest one's approval while shining his sweet toothy and genuine grin...


Female NG Elven Champion 1 | HP: 17/17 | AC: 17 (19 shielded) | F: +6, R: +3, W: +6 | Perc: +4 | Speed 30ft | Hero Points: 1/1 | Focus points: 0/1 | Active conditions: none. |

Findlaine nods at the whirlwind of a young man. "That's right Laurel. We're in agreement that we should investigate which lead exactly? Just want to make sure I've got it right."


Young Human Ranger | HP: 17/19 | AC 17 | F: +6, R: +9, W: +3 | Perc: +5 or +7 to initiative | Speed 25 ft | Hero Points 1/1 | Conditions: two levels of fatigue

"Dincha say yerself thet you's in agreemint howz Trin and Phinick has acted "Sus-Pish-Ish-Lee" one wayz 'er 'nuther, yeah, that was how ya putted it, clear ez the day ez long (and boy what a mighty long day we done had, doncha think?) and lemme remind aye gotz this funny feelin' in me gut thet they done upta no good what we stan' round here lika buncha stuck wagons!" Laurel adds for additional effect.


Male Goblin Wizard 1 HP: 12/12 | AC: 15 | F: +3, R: +5, W: +6 | Perc: +4 | Speed 25ft | Spells: 0: 5 1: 2 | | Hero Points: 1 | Reactions | Conditions: None

Nosh looks up in alarm at Zurkha when he mentions splitting up and is about to say something when Galen says it would be safer to stick together. ”Yes, yes. Let’s protect each other in this strange town. We don’t know anyone, we can only trust ourselves. Look at Bort, didn’t suspect a thing! Trin and Phinick, let’s start with them.” Trunt looks around them to see if anyone else is too close and waits until there are no eavesdroppers, ”I have a spell that will warn us of intruders during the night. We will have to all be in a small area though.” Alarm spell


.

Okay, I'm going to push because the group has leaned towards visiting Amora first since you don't know where Phinick lives.

A little woozy from drink but generally alright, you head out from the Feedmill. Before you go, Rolth stops you.

"So I've a problem here 'cause I work under some rules. I've talked with those who didn't take off immediately, and the entire caravan is suspect as well as half the damn town. And... we don't have a jail. So I need to turn my investigation over to the circuit judge who deals with serious legal matters and crimes. Problem is the judge, the good Lord Mubbage Cranberry, ain't back in town for another month. I gotta detain the caravan and its passengers - including you lot, until he's back in town. Since you're off to talk to Amora, let me know if she did it beause that'll make our lives a lot easier, right boys? And uh, elf lady."

You can respond as you wish but I'll push on to Amora's.

Amora lives in the Old Orchard, an area west of town on the other side of the creek which you need to ford. Thankfully it's just water over rocks at the ford and easy enough to cross to. It's properly late by the time you get there, but you're all sober enough for the job ahead of you.

The orchard is easy to find, and whatever sickness you've noticed in the land is in full force here. The trees are warped and twisted, and the fruit they bear looks rotten despite it being prime apple season.

Map is updated. You are in an area of dim light unless you produce a light source. Let me know your approach to the house and any particular exploration mode activity.


Young Human Ranger | HP: 17/19 | AC 17 | F: +6, R: +9, W: +3 | Perc: +5 or +7 to initiative | Speed 25 ft | Hero Points 1/1 | Conditions: two levels of fatigue

Ever vigilant, Laurel will keep a Lookout, reminding the party that "I tol' ya we shoulda gone ta Trin n' Phinnicks but don' nobody lissen to ol' Laurel, doez yez?" and remarking "Shore is dark here... Oh wait-a-minnut, I gotta torsh 'ere" And lights one of his torches to cast light into a 20-foot radius around himself "There thas a lil' better ainnit?"


Male Half-orc TN Barbarian 1 | HP: 18/22 | AC: 18 | F: +7, R: +5, W: +5 | Perc: +5 | Speed 25ft | Hero Points: 1/1 | Special Power: Rage | Reactions | Conditions: Raging

Zurkha exhibits some surprise at the sheriff's words. "A month? That is... many more turnips than I ever expected to eat in my lifetime."

As they travel through the orchard to Amora's home, Zurkha says to Laurel, "Yes, very good little one. You have almost completely ruined my night vision. Mind you don't trip on any fallen fruit, or get it in your boots. This looks almost as unappealing as the turnips...!"

Not 100% sure what Exploration mode activity to use here, so I'll just defend, I guess? In case something jumps us. (I'm open to any alternatives anyone can suggest.)


Male Human Cleric of Sarenrae 1 | HP: 17/17 | AC: 17 | F: +6, R: +4, W: +9 | Perc: +7 | Speed 25ft | Hero Points: 1/1 | Focus Points: 1/1 | Level 1 Spells: 1/2 | Heal Spells 2/2 Reactions: Shield Block | Conditions: None

Galen is a bit weirded out by the appearance of the orchard combined with the failing light of the evening. he will stand close to the rest of the group with his buckler ready, but sword still sheathed for now.

Ugh, what happened here? there is no way the trees should look this bad this early in the season... do you think the acid wolves got into them??

Galen keeps looking around, listening for even a hint of a wolf's howl...

perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 26


Young Human Ranger | HP: 17/19 | AC 17 | F: +6, R: +9, W: +3 | Perc: +5 or +7 to initiative | Speed 25 ft | Hero Points 1/1 | Conditions: two levels of fatigue

"Aww turnips ain' so bad Z. Whatcha eat back in dem mountains ya frum, eh? I tell ya dis, back before all this sterted - before the wooves, before hitchin' tha ride witcha an' Olfs, before dem ghodwicks dun fought me fam, ya know, for' me an me ma hed ta git on tha run - we ate lotta berries an' nuts. Thes mah favrit thing ta eet. Not makin' yer belly all swole. Thet sed we'd a trade fer bread whut we could, and hunt rabbis an eat'em together. Sometimes ma she make a stoo. Thes me other favrit thing ta eat. Rabbis and bread. And stoo. Them turnips is okee I guess. Maybe we can tryna putim inna stoo later? Matter fact there may be some herbs roun' these parts what spice it up. Did I eva tells ya mah favrit spice? Well, it's a story ya see, cuz once me ma an' I was..." Laurel continues with a story as his torch burns bright...


Female NG Elven Champion 1 | HP: 17/17 | AC: 17 (19 shielded) | F: +6, R: +3, W: +6 | Perc: +4 | Speed 30ft | Hero Points: 1/1 | Focus points: 0/1 | Active conditions: none. |

"Given how Bort's experience went, I think I'll be passing on turnip stew for now," Findlaine says as she keeps an eye out near the front of the group. She frowns at the irreverence for the recently deceased.

Damn, I still never really built a tolerance to ale did I?

Sword and shield out and at the ready (she'll put the sword away when we get to Amora's door), Findlaine is going to be Defending.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Half-orc TN Barbarian 1 | HP: 18/22 | AC: 18 | F: +7, R: +5, W: +5 | Perc: +5 | Speed 25ft | Hero Points: 1/1 | Special Power: Rage | Reactions | Conditions: Raging

Zurkha was going to respond to Laurel's question about hunting game in the mountains, but the boy was clearly off in his own world. Turning to Galen, he says, "Maybe two um, symptoms? Yes, symptoms of same problem. I know little of apples, but it seems a bit much to think wolves would attack trees."


Male Goblin Wizard 1 HP: 12/12 | AC: 15 | F: +3, R: +5, W: +6 | Perc: +4 | Speed 25ft | Spells: 0: 5 1: 2 | | Hero Points: 1 | Reactions | Conditions: None

On the way, Nosh sees the very noisy group and says, ”I’ll be right behind you all, but you may not see me.” and separates himself a bit from the group and attempts to Avoid Notice.

Half speed but I think others as well. I imagine Nosh is sticking the the shadows just outside of torchlight.


.

As you start moving through the orchard, Galen's very very keen eyes spots an extremely large beehive hanging from one of the apple trees. It seems fairly active, despite it being at night.


Male Human Cleric of Sarenrae 1 | HP: 17/17 | AC: 17 | F: +6, R: +4, W: +9 | Perc: +7 | Speed 25ft | Hero Points: 1/1 | Focus Points: 1/1 | Level 1 Spells: 1/2 | Heal Spells 2/2 Reactions: Shield Block | Conditions: None

Galen half-listens to Zurka's response, but is quickly distracted by the sight of a giant beehive. Um, guys? look over there. giant beehive. Let's not make them angry...


Male Half-orc TN Barbarian 1 | HP: 18/22 | AC: 18 | F: +7, R: +5, W: +5 | Perc: +5 | Speed 25ft | Hero Points: 1/1 | Special Power: Rage | Reactions | Conditions: Raging

After Galen points out the beehive, Zurkha stares briefly, fascinated, before moving on, giving the hive an appropriately wide berth. "Why would someone allow such a thing in their fields? Shouldn't someone do something about that?"

I don't think farming/agriculture are Z's strong suit...


Female NG Elven Champion 1 | HP: 17/17 | AC: 17 (19 shielded) | F: +6, R: +3, W: +6 | Perc: +4 | Speed 30ft | Hero Points: 1/1 | Focus points: 0/1 | Active conditions: none. |

Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 = 13

Findlaine is going try to take a look at the beehive for any signs of disturbance.

I would like to Recall Knowledge with Nature at a +4(T) to see if I know of anything that would cause so much activity.


.

Findlaine isn't able to think of much that would keep the bees busy into the night. But Galen's cautious approach has saved the group a bad time. You all give the hive a very, very wide berth and get to Amora's home. The fire still seems to be going and she is apparently up. She quickly responds to a knock on the door. The house smells like biscuits and she's clearly been crying.

"Oh... oh dear it's you lot who came with Bort. Please - I'm a mess. Glad the bees didn't get you, I usually have to smoke them to calm them down. Come in, come in. I was baking to calm myself and the biscuits are almost done."

As you come in she bursts into tears again. "I didn't kill anyone! I don't know what happened! Oh I will never be able to show my face in town again! Poor Bort..."


Young Human Ranger | HP: 17/19 | AC 17 | F: +6, R: +9, W: +3 | Perc: +5 or +7 to initiative | Speed 25 ft | Hero Points 1/1 | Conditions: two levels of fatigue

Laurel, berthing around the hive with the crew, successfully suppresses a strong urge to throw a rock at it - but not before looking at Zurkha to see if he "saw" him have such a thought.

When they reach the cottage, Laurel's stomach grumbles at the smell of biscuits. He introduces himself.

"Eh doncha worry 'ere mam we ain' here ta takes yeh in." And bowing deeply to convey proportionate respect for his elder before continuing "Ack-shully, i wez wonderin' f'ya could halp me convince my frenz here 'det it was prolly Trin n' Phinnick whut we got an Ack-shull lead upon" Giving his best stern glare to the rest of the group "An yer testimony - if'n yer opinion ye bein' in the ways fit o' mind to give it - would be more'n enuff to Co-robber-ate the fax as we got'em collected this far arty" And with that Laurel puffs up his chest to look as Grown Up as physically possible so as to convey his best appearance of what might be considered professionalism.

Spoiler:

If it's needed
Diplomacy (untrained): 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 2 = 20


Male Human Cleric of Sarenrae 1 | HP: 17/17 | AC: 17 | F: +6, R: +4, W: +9 | Perc: +7 | Speed 25ft | Hero Points: 1/1 | Focus Points: 1/1 | Level 1 Spells: 1/2 | Heal Spells 2/2 Reactions: Shield Block | Conditions: None

"I'm sorry if we frigtened you ma'am. we will do our best to find out who really did kill Bort. if you can help us out, give us any information that could lead us to finding the killer we would be very grateful. we will not be leaving this town until we discover what happened to our caravan master, so if you really did not do this thing, you have nothign to fear. once the real killer is found you will not have to worry about the town turning on you. if you did do it, it would be best to tell us now and explain the whole story.


.

After recovering, Amora heads to the hearth, producing several biscuits which she then generously drizzles with honey. "Here, my treat. Eat up. May be happy it's not a turnip."

She pours out some tea for the biscuits and sits across from you. "I don't have any idea who may have hurt him - but nobody who worked for me had ANY ill intention towards Bort! Least all of all me - oh what will they think? Anyways, what I can say is that night I prepared the dessert, Phinick plated it, and Trin served it. It was set out just before that awful fight began. I didn't see anyone in the kitchen although I did go out a few times to empty the slop."


Male Goblin Wizard 1 HP: 12/12 | AC: 15 | F: +3, R: +5, W: +6 | Perc: +4 | Speed 25ft | Spells: 0: 5 1: 2 | | Hero Points: 1 | Reactions | Conditions: None

Nosh brightens up at the prospect of biscuits and honey, but looks suspiciously at them after a second, waiting to see if the others take a bite. After a moment, he just decides to do it anyway and takes a big bite, savoring the flavor. After chewing down his first bite, Nosh speaks up, "That makes sense to me, why would you want to kill Bort? he brings...brought business to your town, but then, why would anyone want to kill him. Was that dessert meant for anyone else before it was sent out? Could someone have been trying to kill someone else?"


Male Human Cleric of Sarenrae 1 | HP: 17/17 | AC: 17 | F: +6, R: +4, W: +9 | Perc: +7 | Speed 25ft | Hero Points: 1/1 | Focus Points: 1/1 | Level 1 Spells: 1/2 | Heal Spells 2/2 Reactions: Shield Block | Conditions: None

Galen does not touch his food just yet, waiting to see if anyone else feels sick. talking about their companion who just died of poison makes it hard to have any sort of appetite


Female NG Elven Champion 1 | HP: 17/17 | AC: 17 (19 shielded) | F: +6, R: +3, W: +6 | Perc: +4 | Speed 30ft | Hero Points: 1/1 | Focus points: 0/1 | Active conditions: none. |

Findlaine will wait for Nosh's questions to be answered, as to not be rude.

"Not to upset you, ma'am, but I think you've already given us our answer," Findlaine says, holding her chin in thought. "If Phinick did the plating then he is our most likely suspect. Has he been acting strangely as of late? Expressing any sort of anxiety?"


Male Half-orc TN Barbarian 1 | HP: 18/22 | AC: 18 | F: +7, R: +5, W: +5 | Perc: +5 | Speed 25ft | Hero Points: 1/1 | Special Power: Rage | Reactions | Conditions: Raging

Zurkha finds it so improbable that this woman could have poisoned Bort, that, faced with the prosect of non-turnip-based food, he rapidly demolishes his biscuit, and looks for an opportunity to casually swipe Nosh or Galen's.

Nothing to add to the inquiry, I think Fin has it right that Phinick is the one to check on.

151 to 200 of 258 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM SpiderBeard's Fall of Plaguestone: Group Two All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.