Agents of TAROT: Chariot Crew

Game Master Tarren Dei


1 to 50 of 1,021 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

The DATE is May 13, 2219 at 13:00

It is Thursday.

The screen nearest you displayed the following memo.

Temporal Anomaly Recognition & Observation Team requires your expertise. TAROT is authorized to select and require transfer of any and all necessary personnel from law enforcement, military, and state-funded universities who have specific areas of expertise as required for specific missions. Prisoners may also be remanded into TAROT custody.

Prepare for immediate transportation. Allow two-way communication and wait for further instructions.

You've heard of TAROT. Most of the people living in the North American Regional Alliance have. TAROT was first proposed when time travel was still a hypothetical possibility. Once enough eccentric billionaires had succeeded at time travel, the question of whether or not it should be allowed became moot. TAROT was established to 'police' the timeline.

For the most part, policing the timeline has meant maintaining a time machine--one of seven known to exist--and hoping no one takes one of the other six out for a joyride. The integrity of the timeline is constantly compared to a backup copy maintained on an extratemporal server.

What were you doing at 13:00 on a typical weekday when you received this memo? Drop everything, enable two-way communication on a screen, and prepare to get yourself to the nearest exit.


Male EAC:15 KAC:17 |HP:18/18 SP:14/14 RP:5/5 |Fort:3, Ref +4, Will+3 |Init +8 Per+2|Hunting Rifle+7, 1d10 6/6 /45 Soldier 1

Brass-4 is quietly sitting on his bed in a cramped tiny little apartment, he is loading rounds into a magazine. Outside the chaotic sounds of New, New York City happen, gunshots ring out, hover cars drone by in the sky, other tenants yell. He is used to this kind of chaos he finds it oddly satisfying with all of the stimuli. Suddenly on his small laptop it flashes with a message, he activates his comm unit, allowing voice commands.

“computer, read message”

The message relays out loud and clear. The room becomes silent again, as the computer asks for permission to open 2 way communication. He sits there thinking, he doesn’t trust this message though if it is true then he has no choice in the matter. He finishes filling the magazine and places it down on the little nightstand in his room. He walks over to his “desk” which is simply a small table with his laptop on it, and sits down. He pulls out a small cord from the laptop, and pulls it out. Plugging it into the back of his head.

“Computer, open program Safecache. Upload memory backup to Safecache, then encrypt with new password.”

After a moment the upload is complete and a password of significant length is spit out. He takes out the cord and it recedes back into the laptop. Writing the password down on a piece of paper.

“Computer begin recording,
I have just been told that I will be brought abourd the agency TAROT due to my expertise. I don’t know if this is a real message or a fake use Safe cache to see the message. Whether or not it is real, whoever it is knows where I am, if they were able to contact me as I have taken great lengths to hide myself. If this is some form of assassin to kill me, or recollection team that is out to take me back to slavery I will likely not stand a chance. This is a warning that if you are in hiding you may not be safe. If I do not respond to this message in 24 hours, assume I am gone. Hopefully it truly is real, I may have found someplace that is truly safe, I hope one day I can help you all.
Computer, send to chat room Bravo, 2, Zeta, C. Password, Metallurgy.

During the video when he mentions Safecache he holds up the password. As he finishes the message he grows very solemn and as he accesses the chat room that he and his allies once used just after they earned they’re freedom almost 10 years ago, he gets sad knowing that one way or another he may never see them again. Once the video is uploaded he grabs his backpack already packed with everything he owns. Picks up his old rifle and unfolds it, pulling out the stock and barrel to full length. He loads the magazine into it. Then he walks over to the computer, picks up the paper crumples it and then swallows the small piece of paper. He then calmly presses the button to accept the 2 way communication then transfers it to his comm unit and grabs his laptop putting it in his bag.


Male Human Operative (Gadgeteer) 1

This one had put up a hell of a chase. Alleyways, warehouses, even a Russian bath house. But Troubleshooter got it, one clear shot with the EMP round straight to the back of the head disabled its motor functions. It was only temporary, so Carson quickly moved in and with a few quick adjustments, permanently disabled them. Damned Rogue AI, credits barely cover the trouble hunting it.

Activating his comm unit, "This is Troubleshooter, target acquired. Coordinates inbound." Punching his location in, he waited for pick-up.

While waiting, there came the beep of an incoming message. Pulling it up and reading it, Carson thought, Hmmm, well the jobs lately have been getting cheap. Why not?

After pick-up, the Mercenary dialed up Mask, "Hey M'ilo, you available?"


"Oy, Carson," M'ilo yells as he steps into the man's quarters. "Gonna have to skip out on that job we signed up for. Something big's comes up, and it looks like it's gonna be more fun than whatever that suit said he had planned for us."

M'ilo begins poking around through Carson's pantry. "Y'know, you really should get rid of the fingerprint swipe. It's too easy to fake. Way to easy for someone who wants to get you to sneak their way in and all." Finding an opened box of cereal, M'ilo grabs a handful and begins munching before settling in a chair and turning on the television. Reruns of last night's game, talking heads all of'em.

One of M'ilo's favorite games was to see how well he could mimic them. Sportscaster, news anchor, the weatherman, they all pretty much looked and sounded the same, barring the vocal differences between genders and all. Ooh, the pretty woman from Channel 37 was doing the day show on Channel 49 now. M'ilo listened for a moment to her voice, then put the television on mute. He tapped his throat a couple of times while his face morphed to match the woman. "Oh Saundra, I have to tell you that you just have the most awful taste in clothing," he said to himself. "Thank you dear, and your hair just looks like a rat's nest that got drowned in acid."

"I was just about to say the same thing about your face!"

"Hahaha."

"Hahaha."

M'ilo carried on for a few minutes, still waiting for an appearance from Carson. "Hey buddy, you gonna rise and shine? It's a little late in the day. Or were you out again shooting trouble?"


Male Human Operative (Gadgeteer) 1

"You're the only one to breaks in, jelly-face."

Carson watched with amusement, then finally asked, "So this big thing, it wouldn't happen to have anything to do with TAROT, would it?"


Masculine Android Mechanic | HP 16/16, Stamina 12/12, Reserve 5/5 | EAC 14, KAC 15 | Fort +3, Ref +8, Will +0 | Init +5, Perception +5

Immanuel Ueda is on lunch break with the cast and crew of Reality Prime when the message comes. The latest episode is coming together nicely: using a Mobius strip as the central metaphor for discussions on perspective worked even more smoothly than Sam had suggested it would, and the visuals crew is showing impressive work as always. The ratings so far have been pleasantly surprising, and an air of contented excitement fills the room. When Ueda sees his datapad light up with an alert, he almost doesn't accept the incoming message--but when he sees the text automatically scroll, he reaches out with sudden speed, nearly knocking over his glass in his haste. Those near him look on anxiously as his eyes scan the screen.

Ueda stands abruptly. "My apologies, everyone. Please, continue without me." His voice is friendly but aloof, perhaps a touch too calm for comfort. Without another word he pushes his chair in and exits the room, briskly making for the green room. A moment later, Samantha Brennan rises with a decidedly more personable apology and follows him, trotting to catch up at first. "Imm? What's going on?"

Barely slowing, Ueda turns and hands her the datapad, a small show of both trust and haste. She skims over the message and hands it back with a frown. "I don't understand, you're not--"

"Authority to transfer law enforcement, military, and state-funded university personnel does not inherently limit them to hiring from those pools," Ueda says. "Although I do technically hold honorary positions at several state-funded online universities, and continue to receive grants in their credit. I believe TAROT, however, is contacting me in a private regard. They desire my personal expertise."

The pair enter the green room, where Ueda begins gathering his things--not a great deal, but enough to warrant his briefcase. "So what?" Brennan asks. "They send a message and you're expected to just drop everything and go?"

Ueda looks her in the eyes, the first time since leaving the lunch. His eyes are a bright aquamarine, the pupils barely separated from the irises by an almost imperceptible line, the whites tinged with the same color. "Yes." He taps a code on the briefcase's handle, turns a peg, and it clicks open to reveal a slightly smaller case hidden inside. Opening it reveals a great deal of technical equipment. "Their message suggests some urgency. In any case, I have contacted TAROT to express interest in their work in the past. I assumed until now that my interest was one-sided. That thought is clearly no longer valid."

"What about the show? What about everyone else? What do I tell them?" Brennan's voice is more resigned than anxious. Despite the suddenness, this all seems very much like something her partner would do.

"I have notes for future episodes and suggestions for potential guests in my personal files. Everything you should need to keep the show going until it reaches whatever popularity it can. From there, its own momentum will determine if it succeeds. My password is your birthday in standard format, numbers spelled out, no spaces or capitals." The android sets his datapad into a properly padded slot and connects it to his personal communicator before looking up at Brennan again. "You are the life of this project, Sam. Everyone likes what you bring to the show. It will flourish more under your guidance than mine."

They both fall silent as Ueda continues double-checking his things, gathering personal files and placing them in the case. Brennan makes her way to the door, but turns back. "This sounds dangerous, Imm. They want military, law enforcement?"

Ueda calmly reaches inside the sway of his trim, stylish jacket and presses a palm to his side. There's a barely audible tone as part of his abdomen slides away and his hand dips inside. When it comes back out, a compact pistol is in his grip. He gives a smile that is less reassuring than unsettling. "Do not worry for me, Sam. I can handle myself."

Once she leaves the room, Ueda replaces the pistol and turns back to his datapad, selecting the prompt to open two-way communications. Though his fingers remain steady, his mind races with excitement.


Gah, I'm sorry Carson, I didn't realize you had posted just ahead of me when I did my thing last night. How do you want to roll this thing?


Male Human Operative (Gadgeteer) 1

I think we just roll. Starting with your response to my second post.


"Nah, I got hired by TAROT," M'ilo responds, talking before he listens (as usual). Once the words the Carson spoke register with him, M'ilo starts swearing.

"I thought I'd finally have one over on you. Maybe go back in time and shoot your grandfather so that I'd never get stuck with a grumpy old war vet like you," he grumbles, munching on another handful of cereal.

Swallowing, M'ilo asks "Whadda ya think they're gonna have us do?"


Male Human Operative (Gadgeteer) 1

Carson just laughed, "You'd have to find out who that is first. I don't even know who my parents are. As for what they want us for," he shrugged, "who knows. It's TAROT, if you believe half the rumors, they're responsible for some shady s***. But they do pay well."

Going over to a cupboard and pulling out a bottle of Fireball and two glasses, "Let's face it M'ilo, jobs have been skimpy ever since Joker black-balled us that one time." Pouring a glass and downing it, "Bastard." Pouring more in both glasses, Carson offered one to his friend.


Female N Lashunta Mystic (XenoDruid) Wild Warden 1 | Active Conditions: None | SP 12/12, HP 14/14, RP 4/4 EAC 11. KAC 12 | Fort -1, Ref +2, Will + 6 | Per +5 (low light), Sense Motive | Speed 30 ft | Telepathy 30 ft

Sorry, its my bedtime right now :-(. I'll post tomorrow morning


Vonash wrote:
Sorry, its my bedtime right now :-(. I'll post tomorrow morning

Don't worry if it isn't as long as some posts. That's not a requirement of play-by-posts and a lot of fast games use lots of small posts.


Female N Lashunta Mystic (XenoDruid) Wild Warden 1 | Active Conditions: None | SP 12/12, HP 14/14, RP 4/4 EAC 11. KAC 12 | Fort -1, Ref +2, Will + 6 | Per +5 (low light), Sense Motive | Speed 30 ft | Telepathy 30 ft

Vonash is in the game park, looking at a young racoon that has somehow managed to get itself all tangled up in a stray bit of plastic that the winds must of brought in from Garbage Lake nearby.

She thinks at the boor animal
"Tzel, my young friend, calm down. Everthing will be ok if you just calm down"

"Trapped. TRAPPED. GOT TO GET OUT. NOW"

The comms unit in her armour beeps, letting her know that she has an urgent message.

Vonash completely ignores the urgent message, concentrating on the far more important task at hand

"Calm down, calm down. It will be ok"

Slowly but surely she manages to get Tzel to calm down. It takes a bit of time but eventually Tzel is calm enough that she can unwind him and free him from the plastic.

The raccoon licks her hand before bounding away
"Thanks! You're the best!"

With that accomplished, she finally checks her communicator

"TAROT wants me? No, there must be some kind of mistake. I'm not even sure I qualify to be drafted. I mean, I think that SOME of the grant money to run this place comes from the Uni but.

But they want ME? Wow. Going to the past, especially the WAY past, would be so cool!! I wonder if I'll go see dinosaurs? Or CATS. Oh, heck yes. Cats. I could get their DNA. WOW.

Oh, please please please don't be a mistake. Or, if it is, don't catch it in time to stop me going"

With that she opens up for two way transmissions (you can disable that?) and sends an acknowledgement.

She also quickly calls Ursol
"Hi, its me. Uh, you're not going to believe it but apparently I've been drafted by TEMPO. <pause> Yeah, I know. Its probably a mistake. But wouldn't it be GREAT if it was real? <pause? Agreed. So, I'll keep you informed. But I'll be off for at least the rest of the day. I don't know if I get returned to the same time I left or what. <pause> No, I don't think it will be that dangerous.<pause> Uh, I hope not <pause>So, anyway, you may have to get somebody in to substitute for me. I'll let you know as much as I can as soon as I can. See you soon"

With that, she heads to the small parking area at the edge of the preserve


"Guy had issues. And I never liked them. I mean, he went around calling himself 'Joker.' Wasn't his real name, like, Leroy or something?" Swallowing what he had on his mouth, M'ilo asks "You know, the university is still hiring for janitors and night watchmen. Ain't no shame in pushing a broom."


Male Human Operative (Gadgeteer) 1

Setting down the second glass in front of M'ilo, Carson took his seat on the couch, "There is for me. I plan on going out one way, blaze of glory. Can't do that from the janitor closet."

Taking a sip of his drink, "I suppose I'd better break the news to Tali. She might get upset at losing one of her well paying customers."


Brass-4 wrote:
He then calmly presses the button to accept the 2 way communication then transfers it to his comm unit and grabs his laptop putting it in his bag.

A luxury model hover car whooshes to a halt just outside of Brass's apartment window. A well-dressed man in the pilot's seat struggles to regain control of the car while the rear passenger door opens if Brass feels like stepping out of his window and into the car.


Vonash wrote:
With that, she heads to the small parking area at the edge of the preserve ...

Several of the fully-automated vehicles used to navigate the preserve wait in the parking area. One of them hums to life and glides over. It may look a little odd out of context, but Vonash has a ride. A voice on her comm unit says, "Hello Vonash, my name is Gabriel. Please get in, immediately."


Immanuel Ueda wrote:
Once she leaves the room, Ueda replaces the pistol and turns back to his datapad, selecting the prompt to open two-way communications. Though his fingers remain steady, his mind races with excitement.

A voice from the datapad says, "Hello Immanuel, my name is Gabriel. I'd like to arrange your transportation for you. There are a number of vehicles available in the studio parking lot with easily over-ridden security features. Would you like to choose one"

A hover cycle, a windowless tank, and a sports car all light up and thrum with energy ready to transport Immanuel.


The screen nearest Carson and M'ilo flashes "PRIORITY MESSAGE. Enable two-way communication."


"Pshhh," M'ilo replies, and starts chuckling. "It's time travel. We could be gone for years and you could go and see her tomorrow."

M'ilo pulls out his phone and looks at the communication. "Besides, if you tell her you're leaving her, she might not take you back later on. Always think about the long game, Carson."

Pressing a button on his phone, M'ilo slides the device onto a flat surface. "You want'em, you've got'em," he calls out to the device.


Carson and M'ilo hear sirens they recognize as police and then hear the sound of boots in the hall.

"Ah, good," says a voice from the phone, "I thought you were going to need an escort. I have a ride waiting for both of you outside. Please do not hurt the nice officers I sent to help you along."

With that you hear a pounding at your door. "NARA Homeland Control. Open the door and get down on the floor."

"Oh, my," says the voice, "I may have misunderstood their protocols, but if you don't resist, I'm sure they'll have you here in minutes."


Male EAC:15 KAC:17 |HP:18/18 SP:14/14 RP:5/5 |Fort:3, Ref +4, Will+3 |Init +8 Per+2|Hunting Rifle+7, 1d10 6/6 /45 Soldier 1

He looks towards the window, he stares for a second then decides that even if this is a trick his best option would be to get in the car, as it would obviously help his chances to get in some open space. Here he can’t use his rifle’s range to his advantage. He walks over and opens his window. He calmly steps on the sill and climbs into the car. He sits down, his rifle slung across his chest, he sits there stock still looking forward. He calmly says “So are you with TAROT, or some nefarious organization?” He then turns his head to look into the drivers eyes, “if the latter.... that would be unfortunate... for you” he says eerily.


[ooc]Gonna copy over & adapt the vignette I wrote as part of my submission since it feels applicable to place now and many of the other players may not have read it[ and I want to introduce Blake anyway./ooc]

JDE-SX, known less formally as Jade Essex and both less and more formally as Dr Essex, puts down her data pad at the chime. While such an act of obviously "focusing on one thing" wasn't something she actually needed to do, it was a reaction that she'd seen humans make, and had adopted it to help blend in slightly more - tensions between their peoples were still high. Perhaps they always would be. She - or at least this version of her - hoped not.

When the computer finishes reading the message aloud, she raises an eyebrow. "Curious." Within a matter of seconds she has already weighed all the pros and cons and made the decision to accept the opportunity to work with TAROT. She puts the data pad down entirely, thinking that her class preparations could certainly wait.

"Computer, compose message to Director Jarvis, and inform him that I will quite possibly be missing some classes. Doctor Sloan should be... relatively suited to take over in my absence, should it come to that." She couldn't be sure when she'd be getting back. Theoretically, it was time travel, it could only be a matter of seconds in this world.

By the time the computer voices an acknowledgement that the message has been sent, Jade has already started putting together a small bag of essential items, including the means to take samples of several animals, vegetables, and minerals that she may run across.

She's in the midst of moving to the door when it opens and Blake walks through it, covered in grease and looking exhausted, but sporting a huge smile upon seeing her. She pauses mid-step, "I was just coming to see you."

Confusion sweeps across his face - it definitely wouldn't be like Jade to drop in on him at work - and his smile fades entirely when he sees the bag. "Where are you going this time?" He asks, expecting another conference that'll take her away for a matter of weeks, but knowing in the pit of his stomach that it's different somehow.

"TAROT requested my assistance on a Timeline Repair." She says simply, logically.

Stumbling back a step as if from a blow, Blake looks at her in disbelief. "You're not going, are you?"[/b]

Jade rolls her blue eyes, a movement that made it slightly more noticeable that the veins on her eyes appeared more as lighter blue streaks of light - not quite the red color of veins in humans. “Of course I am going!” She said, her voice a mixture of excitement and exasperation.

Moving past her, Blake sits down on the bed, trying to process all of this. While a normal human in this situation might be pacing, Jade stands perfectly still in front of the thin bed that they shared. He runs his fingers through his blonde hair. “But why? I don’t get it.”

She pauses, her biomechanical brain processing rapidly, and coming up with a logical set of answers. “There are many reasons, Blake. First, it is a chance to see where my people came from. The time I’m going to, it’s not long before humans first created us.”

Despite himself, Blake winced at the mention of humans creating the androids. It wasn’t something he liked to talk about, especially in light of the bloody revolution that had followed. It was even less something he wanted to discuss with Jade. She was a different person, then, with a different soul, but he knew she’d fought in the war. After they met, he’d read some of the reports, but they always made him queasy. There was unspeakable violence on both sides, and knowing that she'd narrowly avoided it, and had likely committed some herself, was a vision he had trouble getting out of his head.

“Second,” she continues, [/b]“There is no one more knowledgeable than I am to keep the team safe. I am a skilled physician, with doctorates in Biology, Biotechnology, Genetics, and Physics. I will be prepared for anything we might encounter. Plus, there are so many species that perished on Earth, that I would love the chance to catalogue and collect samples of. It would greatly benefit my research.”[/b]

Sensing that Blake understands he’s losing the argument, she moves closer to him, putting her hands on his shoulders, while his rest easily on her lower back. “If those reasons are not satisfactory,” she adds, her voice softer. “There is another.”

“I have never seen Earth, and I would very much like to.” Her eyes brighten at the prospect, imagining what it would be like, all of the possibilities. “Humanity is fascinating. The paradox of how you can create and destroy in equal measure, how you strive for both community and individuality.”

Crouching down, staring intently at his face, now, trying to parse the expression across it, she continues. “Are you never curious what it was like? To be on the brink of another age? Did they sense it? This single planet, alone in the universe, before you met the Vesk, the Lashuntas.” She bites her lip. “So much ahead of them, wondrous excitement and terrible mistakes.”

With a sigh, Blake shakes his head. “No, I’m usually still trying to keep this little world spinning. I don’t suppose it would do much good to tell you that I don’t want you to go.” He regretted the words as soon as they’d left his mouth, but they were out there. Rage flashes quickly across Jade's face at the notion that he might tell her what to do.

Unable to look her in the eyes, he swallows and leans his forehead against hers. He tries to imagine their situations reversed, if he was offered the opportunity to travel through time, to see the past or the future. Would he do it? Would he leave her? He wasn’t sure he could. “I mean, I get the appeal, I do… I just… What if something happens there? I’d never see you again”.

Jade laughs suddenly, pulling her head back from his, before leaning back in and kissing him on the forehead. “Darling, my body may well be eternal. Even if I am somehow stuck in time, trust me, I will find you again. There is no power in all the universe that could stop me.”


Sense Motive: 1d20 ⇒ 12

This is just a sense motive on the speaker. Do they sound like they're enjoying this?


Brass-4 wrote:
He looks towards the window, he stares for a second then decides that even if this is a trick his best option would be to get in the car, as it would obviously help his chances to get in some open space. Here he can’t use his rifle’s range to his advantage. He walks over and opens his window. He calmly steps on the sill and climbs into the car. He sits down, his rifle slung across his chest, he sits there stock still looking forward. He calmly says “So are you with TAROT, or some nefarious organization?” He then turns his head to look into the drivers eyes, “if the latter.... that would be unfortunate... for you” he says eerily.

The terrified person in the car replies, "Me? Tarwhat? I was just flying home and watching a holocast when some- some ... voice told me my car was temporarily 'commandeered' whatever that means. ... You're supposed to let me out somewhere."

"You're going to let me out, right?"

"I'll get my car back? Can I have a receipt?"


Jade Essex wrote:

....When the computer finishes reading the message aloud, she raises an eyebrow. "Curious." Within a matter of seconds she has already weighed all the pros and cons and made the decision to accept the opportunity to work with TAROT. She puts the data pad down entirely, thinking that her class preparations could certainly wait.

...

When Jade steps outside she sees one of the research institute's teams testing the armor on an experimental all-terrain tank for travelling into the 'no-go' regions of the former USA. It's an old border patrol tank they've repaired coated with a bullet and laser reflective graphene mesh. They're taking turns shooting it with different weapons, and doing so with very little protection. One of them would probably have ended up getting hurt if the vehicle didn't come online, and, to their surprise, race towards Jade.

"Hello, Dr. Essex," says a voice over the tank's loudspeaker system, "I don't think anyone will mind if we borrow this vehicle. It looks quite useful, actually."

The tanks door opens.


M'ilo "Mask" S'sdfotmr wrote:

[dice=Sense Motive]1d20

This is just a sense motive on the speaker. Do they sound like they're enjoying this?

You don't really hear much of an emotion at all. Its 'flat affect' might even be a little familiar.


Male EAC:15 KAC:17 |HP:18/18 SP:14/14 RP:5/5 |Fort:3, Ref +4, Will+3 |Init +8 Per+2|Hunting Rifle+7, 1d10 6/6 /45 Soldier 1

He stares at the person, contemplating the best course of action. “You seem to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, go up to the roof please.” feeling more assured due to the terror in the mans voice, that this is either TAROT or an extremely intricate plan, he lowers his weapon from across his chest to his lap. Then touching his finger to the comm unit on his head wrapped around his ear, he says into the comm link “Very unorthodox for a government agency to just wantonly commandeer vehicles, very messy; leaves a lot of witnesses and loose ends. I don’t know if this is more of a good sign or bad sign about the organization, a bigger sample size will need to be required before judgements can be made.”


Tarren the Dungeon Master wrote:

When Jade steps outside she sees one of the research institute's teams testing the armor on an experimental all-terrain tank for travelling into the 'no-go' regions of the former USA. It's an old border patrol tank they've repaired coated with a bullet and laser reflective graphene mesh. They're taking turns shooting it with different weapons, and doing so with very little protection. One of them would probably have ended up getting hurt if the vehicle didn't come online, and, to their surprise, race towards Jade.

"Hello, Dr. Essex," says a voice over the tank's loudspeaker system, "I don't think anyone will mind if we borrow this vehicle. It looks quite useful, actually."

The tanks door opens.

"It seems to me," Jade replies stepping into the tank, "That anyone who did mind wouldn't be in much of a position to do anything about it." Once inside, she immediately looks for the source of the voice, if there is one. "To whom am I speaking?"


Male Human Operative (Gadgeteer) 1

Carson pulled up his front door cam to get a look at the ranking officer. A smirk crossed his face. Turning to M'ilo, he whispered, "Wanna have a little fun?" Troubleshooter nodded at the screen for Mask to take a look.


M'ilo looks in the screen and taps his mike to adjust his voice till it's an approximation of the officer's. His features shift for a moment until he looks like the officer. "Like hide under the refrigerator fun, or shell game fun?"


Male Human Operative (Gadgeteer) 1

"I just want to see their faces when they open the door and see double. After that.......it's all you kid." Getting down on his knees, Carson put his hands behind his head, waiting for M'ilo to open the door.


"My name's Gabriel," replies the voice. "I'm the Director of TAROT and am communicating to you through this vehicle's satphone. You might want to strap yourself in, Dr. Essex. The route I have planned will be testing this vehicle's claims to be all terrain."


"Dollar says they shoot me," M'ilo mutters. Straightening his shirt, M'ilo adjusts his face and opens the door.

"You lazy goodfernothins sure took your time getting up here," M'ilo begins, as the door swings open. "Damn bums stole my clothes and...IMPOSTER!" he yells, pointing at the highest ranking officer.

BLUFF: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 26

I completely understand if none of this goes anywhere past M'ilo getting tasered.


I was already responding before I saw what you wrote.

The Homeland Control agents who pour through the door with weapons drawn only pause when they see M'ilo.

In the crowded hallway, M'ilo was able to see an officer, but it was hard to distinguish rank. He's done the best he can at impersonating someone he only saw for a second and who is wearing a helmet and goggles. M'ilo's disguise is incomplete and based on incomplete data.

The officer M'ilo imitated remains bewildered, shocked, and apologetic as if he needs to explain something and can't.

The other eleven are firm yet professional as they haul Carson and M'ilo to the awaiting black hovervan.


Female N Lashunta Mystic (XenoDruid) Wild Warden 1 | Active Conditions: None | SP 12/12, HP 14/14, RP 4/4 EAC 11. KAC 12 | Fort -1, Ref +2, Will + 6 | Per +5 (low light), Sense Motive | Speed 30 ft | Telepathy 30 ft
Tarren the Dungeon Master wrote:
Vonash wrote:
With that, she heads to the small parking area at the edge of the preserve ...
Several of the fully-automated vehicles used to navigate the preserve wait in the parking area. One of them hums to life and glides over. It may look a little odd out of context, but Vonash has a ride. A voice on her comm unit says, "Hello Vonash, my name is Gabriel. Please get in, immediately."

Vonash eagerly jumps into the car

"Hello Gabriel. Nice to meet you. I'm VERY excited to be working for TAROT!! Can you please tell me more about what is going on?"

Is there a person in the car or is it being driven automatically?"


Tarren the Dungeon Master wrote:
"My name's Gabriel," replies the voice. "I'm the Director of TAROT and am communicating to you through this vehicle's satphone. You might want to strap yourself in, Dr. Essex. The route I have planned will be testing this vehicle's claims to be all terrain."

Obliging the voice and fastening the straps, Jade prepares for the certainly bumpy journey. "Where precisely are we going, Gabriel?"


Male Human Operative (Gadgeteer) 1

As they sat in the van, Carson leaned over, "You owe me a dollar."


M'ilo pulls out a dollar and hands it over to Carson. "Better than getting shot," he responds.


Vonash wrote:
Tarren the Dungeon Master wrote:
Vonash wrote:
With that, she heads to the small parking area at the edge of the preserve ...
Several of the fully-automated vehicles used to navigate the preserve wait in the parking area. One of them hums to life and glides over. It may look a little odd out of context, but Vonash has a ride. A voice on her comm unit says, "Hello Vonash, my name is Gabriel. Please get in, immediately."

Vonash eagerly jumps into the car

"Hello Gabriel. Nice to meet you. I'm VERY excited to be working for TAROT!! Can you please tell me more about what is going on?"

Is there a person in the car or is it being driven automatically?"

"Hello Vonash, I'm very excited to have you working for TAROT," says the voice but without any sign of excitement or amusement, maintaining a rather monotonous, flat tone. "There's been an incursion in the timestream and, while minor changes have already been noted, we'd like to get you into extratemporal space as soon as possible, at which point, we will give you a complete briefing. We wouldn't want you to cease to have ever existed before we can explain what's happening, right?"


Jade Essex wrote:
Tarren the Dungeon Master wrote:
"My name's Gabriel," replies the voice. "I'm the Director of TAROT and am communicating to you through this vehicle's satphone. You might want to strap yourself in, Dr. Essex. The route I have planned will be testing this vehicle's claims to be all terrain."
Obliging the voice and fastening the straps, Jade prepares for the certainly bumpy journey. "Where precisely are we going, Gabriel?"

"We are going to TAROT headquarters, which we call The Well," replies the flat, machine voice, "It is housed in a building that was once a 'church.' I'm sure you're familiar with the concept. From there, it's a question more of 'when' than 'where.' There's been a shift in the timestream and we are worried someone may be mucking about with it. We need a team to go take a quick look."


M'ilo "Mask" S'sdfotmr wrote:
M'ilo pulls out a dollar and hands it over to Carson. "Better than getting shot," he responds.

The police hovervan rides smoothly on the four rotating blades beneath it as it banks sharply and heads out over the rooftops and then speeds into the countryside. M'ilo and Carson get the sense that if the drivers could make the ride bumpier they would, but hover-vehicles are generally pretty smooth rides.

None of the Homeland Control agents talk until the hovervan pulls up at an old church.


Female N Lashunta Mystic (XenoDruid) Wild Warden 1 | Active Conditions: None | SP 12/12, HP 14/14, RP 4/4 EAC 11. KAC 12 | Fort -1, Ref +2, Will + 6 | Per +5 (low light), Sense Motive | Speed 30 ft | Telepathy 30 ft
Tarren the Dungeon Master wrote:
We wouldn't want you to cease to have ever existed before we can explain what's happening, right?"

"Um, uh, is that possible? Would it hurt? If I never existed then how are we having this conversation? And what happens to me in the extratemporal space if I've never existed?

We haven't even started and I'm already confused"


The four vehicles swoosh to a stop in the parking lot of an old stone church atop a hill. A couple of vehicles parked in front of it look like their drivers might be military. A sign out front reads, "Get behind me santa" in the kind of moveable letters that were used before optical fiber mesh paint became a thing. Most of the vehicles are driver-less.

M'ilo and Carson's drivers look at each other in some confusion but order them out gruffly. "We're here," says one, looking at the screen on his forearm sleeve again before adding, "Sirs."


Vonash wrote:
Tarren the Dungeon Master wrote:
We wouldn't want you to cease to have ever existed before we can explain what's happening, right?"

"Um, uh, is that possible? Would it hurt? If I never existed then how are we having this conversation? And what happens to me in the extratemporal space if I've never existed?

We haven't even started and I'm already confused"

"Terribly sorry," says the voice, "I'm not talking about you specifically. I'd like to have agents outside of the timestream before whoever is mucking with it can change the timestream enough that I don't have agents to dispatch. The sooner I get you into The Shuffle the better. I don't think it will hurt. None of the previous time travellers complained of anything except nausea."


"Do we outrank them?" M'ilo whispers to Carson as he climbs out, smoothing out his hair. Looking around, he chuckles. "I guess it's about time we got a sinner like you in church."


Male EAC:15 KAC:17 |HP:18/18 SP:14/14 RP:5/5 |Fort:3, Ref +4, Will+3 |Init +8 Per+2|Hunting Rifle+7, 1d10 6/6 /45 Soldier 1

i didn’t get a direct reply, is it just hand waved that brass gets to his destination. Because I don’t know if you saw my post just curious.


Brass-4 wrote:
i didn’t get a direct reply, is it just hand waved that brass gets to his destination. Because I don’t know if you saw my post just curious.

I thought Brass got into the vehicle and ordered it up to the roof to let the man out. Perhaps I misunderstood what Brass was saying.


Male EAC:15 KAC:17 |HP:18/18 SP:14/14 RP:5/5 |Fort:3, Ref +4, Will+3 |Init +8 Per+2|Hunting Rifle+7, 1d10 6/6 /45 Soldier 1
Tarren the Dungeon Master wrote:
Brass-4 wrote:
i didn’t get a direct reply, is it just hand waved that brass gets to his destination. Because I don’t know if you saw my post just curious.
I thought Brass got into the vehicle and ordered it up to the roof to let the man out. Perhaps I misunderstood what Brass was saying.

That was it, looking back I misread the post about four cars coming to a stop and assumed it was all our vehicles, not the convoy milo and mask are in. Carry on then haha my bad.


Masculine Android Mechanic | HP 16/16, Stamina 12/12, Reserve 5/5 | EAC 14, KAC 15 | Fort +3, Ref +8, Will +0 | Init +5, Perception +5

"The car will do fine," Ueda says, looking out the window at the lot. He calmly shuts his travel case and walks out of the building, nodding to the staff he passes and even giving a quick smile to Andrew at the reception desk. "You'll have to hold any calls for me for some time, I'm afraid, Mister Reading. I'll be in touch before returning." Without pausing to hear the man's flustered reply, Ueda exits and heads directly for the now-running sports car, deftly stepping into the driver's seat.

"I confess I am rather excited for this. I have thought about the possibility of working with your organization for some time. I assume you can upload the directions to this vehicle?"

1 to 50 of 1,021 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / AGENTS of TAROT: The Tower Rises All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.