SR's - Silent Gods (Inactive)

Game Master stormraven


2,051 to 2,100 of 2,582 << first < prev | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | next > last >>

I've got one prepared, the other's still open slot. It'll take a minute to mix so I'll offer him the one and start mixing the other.

The doll smashed, Ezekiel comes up to the woudned townsman and pulls out a flask. Careful of his increased strength he unstoppers to the top and works to pour it down the man's throat.

CLW: 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9


A CLW spell was what I meant by "tricks"... i've rarely referred to Jak's spells as spells.

Jak, too, abandons his weapon to try do what he can for the hysterical man.

"Easy there, man. Calm down."

CLW (final 1st level spell): 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6


Rat Bastard

hey guys, my ISP has been folding for multiple hours each day for the last few workdays. I'll try to update when I can. I've got the next post queued on my computer. I'll drop it when I can.


Rat Bastard

To avoid wasting a portion of Jak's CLW, I'll apply it in the next set of rounds.

Our heroes rush to do what they can for the man. He thrashes on the border of consciousness. Ezekiel manages to get most of his vial between the man's sputtering lips. The healing potion revives him greatly - the blood dripping from his nose and ears clots.

~ Round 19 - 24 ~

DM Stuff:
Will Save v DC:16: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7 or DAM: 1d4 ⇒ 4 Fail
Will Save v DC:16: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4 or DAM: 1d4 ⇒ 3 Fail
Will Save v DC:16: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7 or DAM: 1d4 ⇒ 4 Fail
Will Save v DC:16: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 1 = 18 or DAM: 1d4 ⇒ 3 Success


Rat Bastard

For long moments, our heroes try to save the howling man's life even as the doll's bite seeks to take it. The local slumps unconscious, wracked by laughter, only to be quickly revived by the team's magic and ministrations... giving him a chance to continue fighting the doll's horrific powers.

In the end, our heroes attempts are enough to turn the tide. The townsman lives long enough to break the doll's spell and lapse into peaceful unconsciousness. His face is a bloody mess. Clotting blood pools like tears from his eyes, ears, and mouth.

Combat OVER

About a minute later, preceded by the sound of clinking armor, Lyrica hustles into view.


(hp 38/38, AC 17, T 11, FF 11, Initiative +1, Perception +5, Fort +8, Ref +6, Will +10)

Lyrica runs up, with her masterwork scimitar drawn. "What's going on? Did I come too late? I am ready for battle now. You didn't exactly wait up for me, did you?"


Jak is breathing hard, hands on knees, eyes on the now-calm villager when Lyrica runs up. "No, we didn't," he responds with more than a hint of annoyance, "Had we waited, there would likely be a higher body count."

As he finishes, he stands up-right, sheathing his blade as he looks at the group. "Where's the girl? We need to figure out what she saw and heard..." His eyes are drawn back to the house, "And we need to sweep the place as well... this is the first place where we've gotten to be the first ones on-hand."

Jak will volunteer to chat with the little girl. We got anyone interested in sweeping the house? Let' keep the locals out until we can do it right on our terms, if we can.


Rat Bastard

With some help from Father Galt, our heroes manage to douse the smouldering fire in the house, search the house, round-up the child, and calm her down enough to chat at the church. No way you can have a calm talk with the girl at her house.

I'm handwaving most of this. No need for rolls on searching, etc. I'll assume you are taking 20 where possible. Just roll SM checks if you want to be sure someone is giving you the full truth. I'll insert the results of your search during the discussion with young Rynn. Feel free to ask her what you want to know.


(hp 38/38, AC 17, T 11, FF 11, Initiative +1, Perception +5, Fort +8, Ref +6, Will +10)
Jak wrote:
"Had we waited, there would likely be a higher body count."

"Well thank heavens that you came as quickly as you did. I am sorry that I did not come sooner. Getting this armor on is not as easy as it looks. Apparently, in a place such as this, I should never take it off."

Jak wrote:
"Where's the girl? We need to figure out what she saw and heard..."

"So what exactly happened? What is this monstrous doll? It looks like it was absolutely horrifying!"

Once the heroes get the girl to the church, Lyrica makes an effort to help calm her and improve her disposition. Giving her a gentle embrace, she says, "My dear, it is alright now. You are safe in here. The gods will look down upon us in here. My name is Lyrica. What's your name?"


"I'm Rynn." says Rynn.


(hp 38/38, AC 17, T 11, FF 11, Initiative +1, Perception +5, Fort +8, Ref +6, Will +10)

"You are safe now, Rynn." Lyrica comforts the child. "You are safe here, but I need you to be brave and feel the courage that lies within you. We need to ask you a few questions, but I want you to know that you are now with friends."

If Lyrica hears an affirmation from the child, she asks, "Can you tell me if you have ever seen that doll before? The one that was found under your bed. Has it always been in your house or was it a recent gift from somebody?"


Rynn gives Lyrica a hard-eyed look that belies her youth. Her voice is a hollow whisper with an innocence violently lost to reality, "I'm not safe. We'll, none of us, never be safe again." The girl shakes her head vigorously at the Paladin's questions. "I never seen that doll before today."


(hp 38/38, AC 17, T 11, FF 11, Initiative +1, Perception +5, Fort +8, Ref +6, Will +10)
Rynn wrote:
"I'm not safe. We'll, none of us, never be safe again."

"You may be right, Rynn. The world is changing faster than I have ever known it to. Everything seems so very different than it use to, but I do know that we need to cling to hope. Will you stay strong with me? Perhaps together, we can find the strength within to go onward and face the evil that threatens our lives. There are still many good people out there who are willing to do what is right and help bring about that just and peaceful kingdom."

Rynn wrote:
" "I never seen that doll before today."

"I suppose I should not be surprised. I just don't know how it got under your bed. Let's just hope we do not find any more creatures of that sort. If you see anything suspicious, be sure to let somebody know. We will all need to work together in these matters."


Marcus stows his weapons and speaks as quietly and calmly as he can, trying not to frighten the girl but accepting that her grim view of the world is ultimately true.

Rynn, did someone give you that doll, or did you just find it in your room already?


The wide-eyed girl looks at Marcus and swallows hard, the subject making her nervous. "It came in after... doing bad things to Tamor. I hid under the bed and it came after me, and told me what it did."


sorry for the lack of posting. Busy schedule plus holidays equals no time. I should be back to a more regular posting schedule now.

Jak continues to try to catch his breath as he listens, trying to pay special attention to anyone gathered around for any odd behavior.

Basically, seeing if anyone seems to be reacting differently or oddly to the turn of events. I don’t think the perp would be here, but on the off chance that he/she is…
Perception (or Sense Motive, whichever is appropriate): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7; sigh.. geez.

NN_child wrote:
"I'm not safe. We'll, none of us, never be safe again." The girl shakes her head vigorously at the Paladin's questions. "I never seen that doll before today."

Jak nods along, but his tone is stubborn, and hopefully encouraging to the girl. ”We can at least make this place safer again… which right now means we need to figure out what that thing is and who’s controlling it.” He puts a hand on her shoulder reassuringly, his voice calm and confident. ”I know it was scary, and i hate to ask you to do this, but I need you to tell us everything you saw or heard. Even small details could be incredibly helpful. What did it tell you? And what did it do?”


Rynn nods, "I guess I didn't hide good. He came under the bed and started talking. He told me he killed everybody and I was next. He said it was Momma's fault, an' if she had done what she was 'sposed, Tamor and Poppa would still be alive. He said she was shellfish and that was why he was gonna kill me. Then he heard something and stopped and waited. Then you came in."


"Did it say what she was supposed to do?"


She shakes her head, "Nuh uh."


(hp 38/38, AC 17, T 11, FF 11, Initiative +1, Perception +5, Fort +8, Ref +6, Will +10)

Lyrica listens intensely, trying to gather any possible clue from the child's words.

"Rynn, my dear. You are being so brave. Thank you for talking to us. Tell me, do you think your mother had communication with this creature before? Did she ever mention any encounters with the strange, evil being? For her to know the expectations, she must have talked to something."


Jak stands looking at the girl a few more seconds, trying feebly to come up some way to console her. "I don't know what all this is," he finally says, squeezing her shoulder to add emphasis to his words. "But I think it's why we're here. And we'll find who did this to your family. Do you have any other family in town? Aunts? Grandparents?"


Rynn shakes her head in response to both Lyrica's and Jak's questions.


Galt sits next to the girl. "We'll take care of her. She may not have family here but she has friends and folks who will watch over her."


Rat Bastard

The search of the house reveals nothing unusual (outside of their grisly causes) regarding the deaths. There are no obvious clues relating to someone else entering the home or unleashing the doll on the occupants. You do find the home-office on the ground floor in a state of mild disarray: piles of papers sit loosely on the desk and a drawer is half open. But there is no evidence of a struggle that happened in the room - no blood, no signs of battle, nothing else.


(hp 38/38, AC 17, T 11, FF 11, Initiative +1, Perception +5, Fort +8, Ref +6, Will +10)
Galt wrote:
"We'll take care of her. She may not have family here but she has friends and folks who will watch over her."

"It is a comfort to know that you are all willing to help each other. Thank you, Galt!"

"Rynn, Please permit me to look over this office for clues."

With permission, Lyrica looks through the pile of papers and checks the drawer for any indication of what Rynn's mother was supposed to have done.

Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 20


As Lyrica searches the office, Jak pulls father Galt aside, keeping an eye on Rynn while pitching his voice too low for her to overhear. ”I appreciate your faith that you have people who can keep her. But look at what happened to her family. We don’t know who we can trust here… at least not until we figure out why her family was targeted. I’d feel better if you personally kept her until we can get to the bottom of this.”

He watches the older man's eyes for a few seconds, then finishes. "She's the only living link we have to whatever is going on." His tone leaves no doubt how important her safety is to Jak.


Galt takes Jak's meaning, "Rynn will be staying with me, within the sanctuary of the church, for the time being."

Searching through the paperwork, they largely appear to be the farm's records - crop sizes, crop sales, farm records, etc.

INT check, please, for anyone wading through the records.


I'll help look through the records, particularly searching for any connection to Philmore, or any of the people that sold their land to Philmore a few years back.

Int: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16


Rat Bastard

Marcus Only:
The paperwork refers to the Pegason farm only, so you don't find a link to Philmore or any land he purchased... But it seems the Pegasons apparently managed to get as good a 'green thumb' as Philmore was renowned to have. Going back 20+ years, you find the Pegasons were barely making a profit. Approximately 13 years ago, they produced a huge bumper crop. After that, they seemed to do better overall, were able to lay in multiple crops per year and their profits spiked every 1.5 years with a single large bumper crop.

Like Philmore, once they really started turning a profit, they acquired a few smaller farms around them and ran them in a sort of share-cropper relationship. They shared a larger portion of the profits with their neighbors who now 'worked for them' - profiting everyone. It also seems that those fringe farms also started producing better crops consistently.

While you aren't a farmer, this set of events appears far too regular to be luck.


(hp 38/38, AC 17, T 11, FF 11, Initiative +1, Perception +5, Fort +8, Ref +6, Will +10)

Intelligence Check: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5

Lyrica looks through the papers, but is not likely to gather much information from them.


Marcus looks through the records, realization dawning on him as he finds a pattern in the profitability of the Pegason's farms.

Seems they weren't telling us everything--the Pegasons couldn't farm worth a damn for a good long time. Now look, right here, the big man points a meaty hand at the figures in the ledgers.

Some years back, 'bout 13 years ago, they saw a 'lucky' bump in their crop yield. After, they started to buy up nearby land like Philmore did. Then those farms all of a sudden produced better than they ever did before. Somethin' ain't right here. Somehow these people found a way to profit, and I think they traded somethin' in return. Somethin' they didn't want to give up, so that doll was sent to collect. Their lives, their souls. Hell, I don't know, but that doll is the servant of some great evil, be it man or demon.


(hp 38/38, AC 17, T 11, FF 11, Initiative +1, Perception +5, Fort +8, Ref +6, Will +10)

"Philmore's story was an incident, now as the Pegason's story comes to light, we have a coincident. Perhaps we should look at the who's doing well at farming and see if that was always the case. I think pattern may emerge that may tell us where the evil will show up next."


Marcus nods, adding to Lyrica's chain of thought.

It could help, but just like the Pegasons, folks are not going to tell us about their shady dealings, no matter how charming we are. But if they have any town records kept here, past accounts of profits and losses and such, we might could see the connections for ourselves. Maybe Howell can sweet talk his way into gettin' that info for us?


Rat Bastard

A link that seems appropriate to the discussion at hand. Most towns maintain key public records.


(hp 38/38, AC 17, T 11, FF 11, Initiative +1, Perception +5, Fort +8, Ref +6, Will +10)
Marcus wrote:
"But if they have any town records kept here, past accounts of profits and losses and such, we might could see the connections for ourselves. Maybe Howell can sweet talk his way into gettin' that info for us?"

"Jak, does have a great deal of charm, for most of the ladies anyway, but perhaps if we are to go see the Hetmon, then perhaps I should accompany him. Although, to be honest, with the evil that lurks, I think it would be better if we all stuck together. I would not want any one of us getting ambushed alone."


Jak walks into the room in the middle of the discussion, listening as he tries to get up to speed. (Sorry again for my absence; still trying to climb out from under year-end work-load stuff)

Marcus Braun wrote:
Maybe Howell can sweet talk his way into gettin' that info for us?

Jak flashes his winningest smile, ”I knew I was growin’ on you, old timer.” His smile disappears in a flash, his quicksilver mood-shifts flitting to serious as he hikes a thumb back to where the father and little Rynn stand together, ”Father Galt volunteered to watch the girl himself. If this little town is anything like the Drear, it’ll be damn near impossible to keep rumors and information from spreading like a damn winter cough, but I’m hoping we can trust him to keep her safe.”

Jak looks at the mountain of papers the two went through, his eyes betraying a frightful level of potential boredom Jak was able to avoid, ”And… uh… good job with all this. I’ll just leave the paperwork to you guys in the future.”

He seems ready to head over to Davril’s office, though many wouldn’t know it by the way he lounges against the wall.


(hp 11/35, AC 18, T 13, FF 15, Initiative +3, Perception +9)

I'm back everyone! Just finished up my first quarter of grad school. Between that, my kids, and having a new job, things have been a bit nuts. Anyhoo...

The druid, having quietly taken in the discussion, finally decides to weigh in.

"I know there are some natural magics that can bump a yield. But there's nothing natural about that doll. Someone 'round here is practicing dark magics. And they would need materials and tools, for makin the dolls and for their foul rites. Now I know I'm not much for reading, or talking to folk, but seems to me we could figure this out real quick."

The exhausted druid, covered in dried blood, is an odd sight indeed, pensively stroking his mustache. As his talk transitions to that of wolves, he becomes animated, and seems somehow less tired.

"You all know that a wolfpack will prey on the weakest of a herd. And partly they can see injuries or fatigue. But they can also smell fear. The weakest KNOW that they are weak, and that someone will be coming for them, and that gives em away. If we gather up the whole town somewhere, don't tell em nothin' cept we wanna talk about the town's safety. And then when they are all together, tell em that everyone is going door to door to search houses and find evidence of this dark magic. Like as not we won't even have to go through with it. Just look for who isn't keen on the idea."

As abruptly as he began speaking, Aerik stops, looking for agreement or rebuttal.


Jak listens, nodding at a few of the points, but he looks concerned. "I think it has merit, but I wonder if it would work if all the people are together. I mean, people feel safer in a crowd. Plus, it might be really hard to catch the signs of someone cracking if they're in a room full of people. Did you mean we'd gather them all up and then begin interviewing them one by one? That would take a LONG time, but i think it's much more likely we'll catch someone in a lie... or at least scare them into making a mistake. But dang... interviewing the whole town in isolation one by one? I don't know that we have the time or man-power, given that we can only really trust each other."


(hp 38/38, AC 17, T 11, FF 11, Initiative +1, Perception +5, Fort +8, Ref +6, Will +10)

"I would think that it shouldn't take too long to find out if there are some other farms which have done well recently when they may not have in the past. I mean, how many farms are there in the village?"


"I have to throw my own vote towards checking out the town's records. It does seem to be our best bet at this point. Though it might be best if don't say exactly what we're looking for. As Jak pointed out, word gets out rather quickly and we don't want to tip off what we know. Maybe we could spread a few false rumors about while we're at it. Lord knows how gossip travels. Not quite sure what to spread though. Any ideas?"


(hp 38/38, AC 17, T 11, FF 11, Initiative +1, Perception +5, Fort +8, Ref +6, Will +10)

"I always found that telling the truth is usually the best way to stay out of trouble. Are you sure that we should be spreading false rumors? Perhaps it would be better to simply not tell people anything. I mean, they know we are investigating Philmore's death anyway. Shouldn't that be sufficient?"


"Yah, good call, Zeke. Let's check the records. If we're still scratching our heads, we can look into Aerik's idea."


Rat Bastard

Our heroes head over to the Inn to pursue this line of enquiry, hoping to suffer no more than paper cuts. Stunned as they are by the events at the Pegason house, no locals seem interested in the team's comings and goings. They quickly find the town records are kept in the cramped surveyor's office. Knowing the timeframe of the Pegason's luck leads them to the thick leather book of the town's records from nearly 15 years ago.

An hour's time spent poring over the records reveals the Pegason's weren't the only 'lucky' family in town. Within a year of the first phenomenal crop, other farmers found their fortunes turning for the better. In fact, it seemed that the 'luck' seemed to rotate at each major crop cycle, in order, through several families... and then the pattern would repeat. Every year and a half each family would have a booming crop. After several years of slowly building their wealth, they started buying up or share-cropping the neighboring farms.

In the end, there is a short list of families that seemed to enjoy this 'blessing':

Fletcher
Phibes
Pegason
Trannyth
Tull
Waveharp


(hp 38/38, AC 17, T 11, FF 11, Initiative +1, Perception +5, Fort +8, Ref +6, Will +10)

"Well my friends, this is a good find! It seems that we have a lead. Who or whatever is making this deal has likely reached each of these families. I think we should go and have a word with each of them? I wonder if the Trannyth family will be next in the cycle? Shall we all go over and have a word with each of them? I think we should get on it before more time has elapsed."


Rat Bastard

Questions? Plans?


(hp 38/38, AC 17, T 11, FF 11, Initiative +1, Perception +5, Fort +8, Ref +6, Will +10)

With everyone's approval, I suggest we start meeting with each of these families. Do we know any of these folks yet, or at least know where any of their farms are located?


Rat Bastard

Trannyth... as in Davril Trannyth - the mayor. :)
I think Glennora Tull was pointed out to you earlier - she's an older patrician woman who sits on the town council.
Fletcher and Waveharp don't sound familiar.
You probably know where Davril's home is... but not the others.


stormraven wrote:


In the end, there is a short list of families that seemed to enjoy this 'blessing':

Fletcher
Phibes
Pegason
Trannyth
Tull
Waveharp

So, according to the records of the crop yields, was this the order of the big yields? What I mean is, it was a repeating pattern. Who received the first big crop, then second, etc? Can we determine the order of the lucky harvests?


Rat Bastard

The order of the 'luck' started with Trannyth and then proceeded through Pegason, Fletcher, Tull, Waveharp, Phibes. Checking through the records would also let you know the locations of all the properties.

Updated Albridge Map (The CAPS names indicate that family's fields)


(hp 38/38, AC 17, T 11, FF 11, Initiative +1, Perception +5, Fort +8, Ref +6, Will +10)

"Trannyth sounds like the town mayor. I wonder if he is going to want to talk about this or if he is somehow involved. He seemed nice enough in person. I just wonder if there is more than meets the eye. Perhaps we should start with him."

2,051 to 2,100 of 2,582 << first < prev | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Silent Gods All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.