DM Brainiac's Ruins of Azlant: Gills and Grit!

Game Master Brainiac

Battle Maps on Google Slides
Partial Map of Zanas-Tahn


3,501 to 3,550 of 3,559 << first < prev | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | next > last >>

Of the original 60 colonists that arrived on the Liberty’s Herald, 13 have died or were terribly mutated in Onthooth’s experiments. All the colonists from the second wave who arrived with Gideon and Tobar and were abducted by the faceless stalkers are still alive, though some of them need medical attention.

When Gideon turns his attention to the elf, he steps forward to introduce himself. "I am Nieran Codali, a ranger of the Mordant Spire. You did well in this risk to rescue your people, and you have my thanks. I was captured while I was investigating why so many skum and other creatures have recently crawled out from their holes in this region. I should have known an aboleth was involved. Do you know what the aboleth was planning to do with all these people? Is there something else I should know?"


Male Human Bard (Archaeologist) 10; HP 63/63; AC 21/14/18; F+4/R+10/W+7; Init+3; Per+20; Arch.Luck+3,6/6

Gideon eyes the man, his suspicion not quite assuaged. He holds off on any further questions until Terana joins them; after Cathyriel and Terana have both confirmed the absence of both evil and aberrations in the room, Gideon breathes a sigh of relief.

"My apologies, Nieran. I'm afraid Onthooth made all of us a bit paranoid. I'm afraid we don't know much about the aboleth's motivations; we're from a colony that was recently established on the mainland. Things starting going sideways, so we went investigating and followed the trail of some faceless stalkers to this island. We followed them hoping against hope that they might lead us to the colonists that were still missing, still alive."

"Now that you mention it, though...the aboleth did hint at something more going on behind the scenes that we weren't aware of. It spoke of larger designs in motion and about a 'veiled master' seeking a weapon that would lay waste to civilization as we know it. I'd honestly forgotten all about it until just now...too busy trying not to get killed by the thing."


Nieran furrows his brow, and his tone becomes agitated. "A veiled master? Looking for an Azlanti weapon? Are you quite sure? I should have guessed that this kidnapping scheme was part of a bigger plan. This is alarming news, not only for these humans you saved, but for everyone on this planet. I shall relay this information to my people at the Mordant Spire at once. As distasteful as it is, it seems that elves and humans must face this threat as allies. Take this brooch—whenever you meet Mordant Spire elves, show it to them and tell them that Nieran Codali gave it to you, so they know that you are allies."

Nieran removes a brooch shaped like a dolphin from his cloak and hands it to you. "I trust you intend to track down this veiled master and kill it. I imagine it won't be easy, but I suggest that you start looking for the answers to your questions in the city of Talasantri. Seek out Rillkimatai—I believe he can help you."


Male Human Bard (Archaeologist) 10; HP 63/63; AC 21/14/18; F+4/R+10/W+7; Init+3; Per+20; Arch.Luck+3,6/6

"I don't recall any mention of the weapon being Azlanti, though I suppose it would make sense that it would be, given all the artifacts from Azlant that we've found around here. I'm certain of the mention of a veiled master, though. Onthooth seemed to emphasize that particularly." Gideon answers.

The scholar snorts derisively at the distasteful view Nieran seems to have toward humans, though bites his tongue, seeing that there do seem to be larger forces at work. "If there is a larger threat, then it certainly needs to be dealt with. I intend to do all I can to make sure Talmandor's Bounty, and its citizens, are kept safe. If that requires further action on our part, so be it."

"Regardless, we need to return to the colony before anything else. They need to know what's happened and we need to take everyone here back there to rest and recover themselves. They've lost much of who they are these months."


Male Human Bard (Archaeologist) 10; HP 63/63; AC 21/14/18; F+4/R+10/W+7; Init+3; Per+20; Arch.Luck+3,6/6

"What more can you tell us about this city you mentioned? Talasantri? Where is it? Is it a city of the Mordant Spire? Why are you unable to deliver this news yourself? How will we find this 'Rillkimatai' and recognize him? Not that I am unwilling to do so; I only want to understand why you apparently do not intend to join us in this task if it is something so urgent and world-threatening that you would deign to work with us 'lowly' humans."


"Talasantri is a free city deep beneath the waves, built partially from the ruins of an Azlanti city and partially of carefully grown coral." Nieran eyes your equipment briefly and continues. "Besides the information you are looking for, you can find better equipment there. I should warn you, however, that many citizens of Talasantri are likely to be suspicious of outsiders, and some groups and races are particularly intolerant of surface dwellers in their city. Observe their laws and stay out of trouble.

"It is located 90 miles to the southeast from our current location. Once we get out of this dreadful place, I can draw a map for you. Because the city is located at the bottom of the sea, you are going to need some kind of magic that helps you breathe underwater. It seems like, at least, you have that covered.

"Rillikimitai is the leader of Talasantri. A very old aquatic elf and an oracle of some renown, he knows much about this area and what goes on both beneath the sea and above it. Find a way to ingratiate yourselves with him and other respected citizens of Talasantri, and you will find it much easier to find what you are looking for."

When asked why he can't deliver the news, Nieran raises his eyebrows and narrows his eyes slightly. He answers slowly and deliberately. "As I said, I must report these developments to my people, that we might prepare to fight. We—the elves of the Mordant Spire—are the true guardians of the ruins of Azlant, and the bastion that stands against the threat of the alghollthu."

The elf casts a sidelong glance at the colonists, then back to you. You feel that Nieran would like to say something mean, but has decided to hold back.


|HP: 104/104| AC: 25 (13 Tch, 23 Fl) | CMB: +13, CMD: 24 | F: +13, R: +7, W: +10 | Init: +1 | Dip:+13, Perc: -1, Swim: +16, UMD: +10 | Speed 20ft | Smite 4/4, LoH (5/6d6) 8/8, Bond 1/1 (10mins) | Active conditions:

Terana arrives at that moment and gives the elf a similar appraising look before offering him a kind of salute, arms crossed in front of her.

"Greetings fellow-warrior." She says in elven. "Our enemy is dead. One less aboleth in this world. Will you stand with us in this fight? We are all needed against their poison in our seas."

She pauses a moment and then asks. "Have you heard from your kind in the Eye of Abenego? My family fights in the war there with your kindred. I've not heard from them in a long time."


Nieran returns Terana's salute, a gesture of respect he did not offer to Gideon. "Hail, gill-woman. I have sworn my life to defeating the alghollthu, and I will fight them when the time comes. For now, though, I am better served as liaison between my people and the humans of your colony. Coordinating the exchange of information and fostering cooperation between our two groups will be crucial if we have any hope of stopping the plots of this veiled master."

He shakes his head. "I have had no contact with our agents in the Eye. If the members of your family are as stalwart as you, though, I am sure they continue to persevere against the enemy."


|HP: 104/104| AC: 25 (13 Tch, 23 Fl) | CMB: +13, CMD: 24 | F: +13, R: +7, W: +10 | Init: +1 | Dip:+13, Perc: -1, Swim: +16, UMD: +10 | Speed 20ft | Smite 4/4, LoH (5/6d6) 8/8, Bond 1/1 (10mins) | Active conditions:

"Go well then." Terana replies. "Be kind to the colony, they mean well and are strong against the alghollthu. We will need their help in time to come and it is home to my friends. I could not have slain Onthooth without them all."

"Now," She says, returning to the common tongue. "We need to get everyone out."

She breathes underwater and has no concept of how difficult this is going to be for humans! :)


Recalling that the skum used the aboleth mucus extract to get all of the prisoners into their cells, you use more of the same substance to allow them to briefly breathe water and get them safely to dry land. Rowing everybody back to Talmandor's Bounty will be a long process, but one that should be relatively free of danger.

As you prepare to leave the temple of Amaznen, the clockwork Aoinse approaches. "Do you have further need of my services?" she inquires.


Male Human Bard (Archaeologist) 10; HP 63/63; AC 21/14/18; F+4/R+10/W+7; Init+3; Per+20; Arch.Luck+3,6/6

Still seeming rather put out by the near-contempt the elf shows for humans, Gideon chooses to hold his tongue, knowing that there are larger forces in play and that it wouldn't do well to alienate a potential ally. "Clearly there is more that we need to do, and we will do it. Perhaps our success in this endeavor may yet help you to...see value where you previously saw none." he answers, just as deliberately.

Once they were out of the elf's presence, Gideon couldn't help but snort in an almost derisive way. "That kind of attitude isn't gonna win him any friendship from me, that's for sure. If that's the thanks we get for breaking him out of Onthooth's prison, he can keep his gratitude. Not like I'm doin' this for him, anyway. I'm doing it to make sure Kulena stays safe. Gods, it feels like it's been ages since I've seen her...I wish we had more time back home..." he says, his tone changing from one of annoyance to one more mournful.

When they come across Aoinse again, he pauses at the question. "That is...an interesting question. We never really inquired further as to your capabilities. What array of services are you able to perform? And are you tied to this particular location in any significant way? Could you leave, if you so chose? I'm sure your knowledge would be a great boon to our people on the main island."


"My primary function is to aid in the creation and repair of clockworks like myself," Aoinse says. "I can also scribe scrolls and create magical armor, weapons, and wondrous items. Alas, I no longer have a connection to Amaznen, so I cannot provide divine spellcasting. But I am not bound to this place. If you wish me to accompany you, it would be my pleasure to do so."


Male Human Bard (Archaeologist) 10; HP 63/63; AC 21/14/18; F+4/R+10/W+7; Init+3; Per+20; Arch.Luck+3,6/6

"Personally, I think it'd be a shame for a creation of your immense value to just...sit here and rot. And I'm sure that you would appreciate being useful again, also. We'd love to have you accompany us back to Talmandor's Bounty."


Aoinse inclines her head. "Than accompany you, I shall."

***

Over the next couple of days, you lead the survivors of Onthooth's prison north along the coast of Zanas-Tahn, back to the watchtower where you first set ashore. They set up camp within the ruined structure as you row your ship's boat across the distance back to Ancorato and Talmandor's Bounty. Your return after more than a week away is met with joyous relief, and once you inform Ramona of what transpired, she organizes the colonists to begin rowing out to Zanas-Tahn in shifts to bring everybody back to the colony safely.

Having defeated Onthooth, you have removed the greatest and most immediate threat the colony of Talmandor’s Bounty has faced so far. Most of the colonists kidnapped by the faceless stalkers are safe, and many of the first wave of colonists that arrived on the Liberty’s Herald are still alive. Although the road to recovery may be long and arduous, it is possible for the colony to survive and even thrive. However, it is evident that defeating Onthooth and rescuing the colonists from the aboleth’s prison is only a temporary victory, and a far greater threat still looms over Talmandor’s Bounty...

Everybody has gained enough XP to reach level 10!


Male Human Bard (Archaeologist) 10; HP 63/63; AC 21/14/18; F+4/R+10/W+7; Init+3; Per+20; Arch.Luck+3,6/6

As soon as the group has safely returned to Ancorato, Gideon begins searching for Kulena so that he can reassure her of his safety and let her know about all they discovered on Zanas-Tahn, though he tries to play down the very real danger that they were in.


"Gideon!" Kulena cries in relief upon spotting Gideon across the town square. Her straw-colored braids trail behind her as she rushes to the bard and throws her arms around him, holding him tightly and quietly sobbing.

"I was so worried about you! It feels like you've been gone for months!"

A week or two in game, nine months in real life. ;)


Male Human Gunslinger (bolt ace) 8/Slayer (sniper) 1 | 75/75 HP | AC 23 T 16 FF 17 | Fort +10 Ref +12 Will +4 | Initiative +4 (+6 w/at least 1 grit) | Perception +14 | Grit 4/4 | Set Mind 1/1

Tobar remains quiet through most of the trip, occasionally fiddling with his crossbow. But he's just a boring sort of plain fellow and doesn't have much to say.

Charisma 10. Average Joe.


Male Human Bard (Archaeologist) 10; HP 63/63; AC 21/14/18; F+4/R+10/W+7; Init+3; Per+20; Arch.Luck+3,6/6

Gideon returns the tight embrace, holding her for a moment and kissing the top of her head before tipping his head down for another, more proper one.

"I couldn't agree more! Ages upon ages. Gods, I've missed you..." he answers before going quiet and simply holding her, trying to calm her gentle shudders as she sobs.


Female Half-Elf Cleric 10 I HP 71/71 I AC 22 [T10 FF22] I CMB +11 I CMD 21 I F +9 R +4 W +12 I Init +4 I Percep +4, low light vision I Speed 30 ft
DM Brainiac wrote:
When asked why he can't deliver the news, Nieran raises his eyebrows and narrows his eyes slightly. He answers slowly and deliberately. "As I said, I must report these developments to my people, that we might prepare to fight. We—the elves of the Mordant Spire—are the true guardians of the ruins of Azlant, and the bastion that stands against the threat of the alghollthu."

Cathyriel matches him, narrowed elfin eyes for narrowed elfin eyes. "Right. Because you've done such a good job that you needed us to rescue your sorry, fragile backside. More respect and less insolence would fit you better. And if you need a lesson in that, I'll give you one, soldier to soldier."

The cleric has red hair, and a temperament to match. Her soldier training and discipline keeps it firmly under control. Mostly under control. But something about this elf has got under her skin.

Beyond that, she keeps quiet, not having much in common with the colonists in terms of a shared history.


Male Human Bard (Archaeologist) 10; HP 63/63; AC 21/14/18; F+4/R+10/W+7; Init+3; Per+20; Arch.Luck+3,6/6

I'm gonna ret-con my most recent post. I threw that out real quick on Friday and after looking at it again, I'm not satisfied with it.

Gideon returns Kulena's embrace, pulling the woman close to his chest and breathing in the smell of her hair deeply. "Gods, Kulena, I've missed you, too! So much has happened and I have so many things to tell you about! I'm safe, though. I'm here. I told you that I had to come home safe to you, didn't I?" he asks with a smile, kissing her deeply.

He doesn't yet tell her about the danger that still exists, nor that they are going to have to depart again soon...for probably an even longer period of time. He simply enjoys being in her presence again, glad to be home, even for a short while.

He also makes a mental note to check in with the miner, Tipps, before any further heading-out is done. He spends as much of the day with Kulena as he can, despite knowing that Ramona is going to want more details of their mission; he does, of course, make sure that Kulena isn't there during the debriefing, knowing that many of the details would probably only scare her even more than she already may've been.

When the time for the debriefing comes, Gideon spares no details of their journey, telling Ramona everything that he can recall, knowing that the more thorough their recollection is, the better.


Male Human Bard (Archaeologist) 10; HP 63/63; AC 21/14/18; F+4/R+10/W+7; Init+3; Per+20; Arch.Luck+3,6/6

When Gideon does finally have time to check in with Tibbs, he inquires about the results of any mining expeditions he may've been on, knowing that they've found more than one mineral or ore or gemstone deposit as they explored the island. In particular, Gideon is interested in learning if they've located any precious gemstones on the island and acquiring one such gemstone, and perhaps a small amount of gold or silver, for a...personal project.


"Well, there were the gems in the cave beneath the well that you all found when we first moved in here," Tipps says to Gideon. The very hairy man scratches at his beard as he continues, referring to himself in the third person. "Tipps has been surveying the forest around the colony for other caves like it. So far he's found one likely site that might have more shinies in it! If you want to help Tipps do a little digging in the next few days, he's sure you can find some more precious stones to your liking!"

***

The day after you return to Talmandor's Bounty, an elven skimmer with two masked elves on board arrives to pick up Nieran Codali. The elf bids you a curt farewell, promising to be in touch to coordinate efforts.

***

Ramona listens attentively as you debrief her on all that you encountered and discovered on the island of Zanas-Tahn. "It sounds like you had quite the adventure over there! I am just glad you were able to rescue so many of our people. It's been a crazy few weeks. You've definitely earned some time to rest and recover from your ordeals. When you are ready, I'd ask that you travel to Talasantri and contact this Rillikimitai. We must do all we can to stop the plans of this veiled master and ensure the safety of not just Talmandor's Bounty, but also the wider world!"


Male Human Bard (Archaeologist) 10; HP 63/63; AC 21/14/18; F+4/R+10/W+7; Init+3; Per+20; Arch.Luck+3,6/6

Gideon immediately agrees to help Tipps in whatever way he is able to help the miner, an eager light in his eyes. "You tell me when and where and I'll be there!" he pledges.

***

Gideon bids the elves a farewell as they depart, trying his best to be more congenial toward them. Behaving toward them in the same way that they were behaving toward the colony was certainly not going to win any kind of friendships or change the elves' attitude about the colony or mankind in general.

***

"Crazy is a good word for it, that's for sure. Who'd have thought, when we first made landfall, that we'd end up uncovering some kind of evil aboleth plot to, apparently, destroy the world..." Gideon answers, rubbing the back of his neck.

"Can't say I'm unhappy about having some time back home, though. It'll be nice to return to normalcy for a little while before we have to get back out there again. I get the feeling that this trip to Talasantri isn't going to be simply a week-long endeavor...but either way, I'm in this thing for the long haul."


|HP: 104/104| AC: 25 (13 Tch, 23 Fl) | CMB: +13, CMD: 24 | F: +13, R: +7, W: +10 | Init: +1 | Dip:+13, Perc: -1, Swim: +16, UMD: +10 | Speed 20ft | Smite 4/4, LoH (5/6d6) 8/8, Bond 1/1 (10mins) | Active conditions:

Terana indicates that she's happy to join in with the mining, before seeking out her own pre-occupation. The cyclops Aeroclyse.


Female Half-Elf Cleric 10 I HP 71/71 I AC 22 [T10 FF22] I CMB +11 I CMD 21 I F +9 R +4 W +12 I Init +4 I Percep +4, low light vision I Speed 30 ft

Cathyriel is glad to be back on dry land and spends her time tending to her equipment, making sure that her blades are sharp and her armour is unaffected by so long an immersion in salt water. It takes her a few days but at the end of it she is once again parade-ready.


Male Human Bard (Archaeologist) 10; HP 63/63; AC 21/14/18; F+4/R+10/W+7; Init+3; Per+20; Arch.Luck+3,6/6

Gideon will also spend some time introducing Anoise to the colony and the colonists. Try to acclimate them to each other.


Terana finds Aeroclyse sitting on the beach, head turned towards the water. "I miss the sight of the sea, but I can still hear the water, taste the salt in the air, feel the breeze on my face. It is soothing... But I still grow restless. I long to be back among my people," the cyclops rumbles.

***

The colonists treat Aoinse with a mixture of wonder and disquiet. The clockwork woman is a marvel of engineering, but some are put off by her artificial nature. Unperturbed by their reactions, Aoinse remains perfectly pleasant and helpful, offering to be of assistance wherever she might be needed.


Male Human Bard (Archaeologist) 10; HP 63/63; AC 21/14/18; F+4/R+10/W+7; Init+3; Per+20; Arch.Luck+3,6/6

After making sure that Aoinse is being treated at the very least with civility, even if fearful civility, Gideon returns to the home he shares with Kulena. He spends the rest of the evening and night with her, assuming he isn't called on by Ramona or anyone else.

The next day, Gideon is up bright and early, and after bidding adieu to his beloved and making sure she wasn't intending to follow, though he does so as surreptitiously as he can, he heads over to Tipps's place, eager to get a head start on his plans for the day.


|HP: 104/104| AC: 25 (13 Tch, 23 Fl) | CMB: +13, CMD: 24 | F: +13, R: +7, W: +10 | Init: +1 | Dip:+13, Perc: -1, Swim: +16, UMD: +10 | Speed 20ft | Smite 4/4, LoH (5/6d6) 8/8, Bond 1/1 (10mins) | Active conditions:
DM Brainiac wrote:
Terana finds Aeroclyse sitting on the beach, head turned towards the water. "I miss the sight of the sea, but I can still hear the water, taste the salt in the air, feel the breeze on my face. It is soothing... But I still grow restless. I long to be back among my people," the cyclops rumbles.

"One day I hope to be able to restore your sight." Terana offers, resting a hand on the cyclops' arm. "The more we fight, the more my powers grow. Soon I should have the power, if the Eternal Rose continues to bless me."

"What do you miss of your people?" She continues after a few moments. "I am far from my people too, they live on the other side of the great ocean and fight a long way. I hope I'm doing good here, but if I die here I don't know if it will be to any true purpose. Let us speak together, so we may remember for each other."


Male Human Gunslinger (bolt ace) 8/Slayer (sniper) 1 | 75/75 HP | AC 23 T 16 FF 17 | Fort +10 Ref +12 Will +4 | Initiative +4 (+6 w/at least 1 grit) | Perception +14 | Grit 4/4 | Set Mind 1/1

Tobar, as usual drops by the old shop and gives his regards to Machi. He introduces her to the clockwork construct as well and shows Aoinse around the shop, explaining that they use these kinds of tools to make their own simple devices - nothing as complicated as she is, though.

Other than that he seems at loose ends, as he doesn't really have a lot of "friends" in the colony. He's just one of the folks who is "around."


"Up with the mornin' sun, I see! Tipps likes that!" Tipps says as Gideon arrives. "Heigh-ho! Heigh-ho! Spelunkin' we will go!"

He leads the bard several miles into the woods and to the cave the miner has previously prospected. A handful of gemstones glint in the torchlight, waiting to be excavated.

***

"My people have lost much of what once made them great," Aeroclyse rumbles. "Once, our empire spanned the seas, but now they are little more than savages. Still, there can be beauty in barbarism. The simple pleasures of living off the land, dancing to the drums, feasting on raw meat. Then there's the mating rituals, of course..."

***

Machi studies Aoinse with hands on her hips. "What's this, boss? You bringing in a golem to replace me? Ain't I working hard enough for your liking?"


Male Human Bard (Archaeologist) 10; HP 63/63; AC 21/14/18; F+4/R+10/W+7; Init+3; Per+20; Arch.Luck+3,6/6

Having found the gemstones, Gideon grins triumphantly; with Tipps's assistance, he successfully extricates several of them from the cave, then looks them over to see what treasures he has found.

Profession(Miner) I guess? - Take 20: 20 = 20

Know(Dungeoneering) - Take 10: 10 + 16 = 26


Male Human Gunslinger (bolt ace) 8/Slayer (sniper) 1 | 75/75 HP | AC 23 T 16 FF 17 | Fort +10 Ref +12 Will +4 | Initiative +4 (+6 w/at least 1 grit) | Perception +14 | Grit 4/4 | Set Mind 1/1
DM Brainiac wrote:
Machi studies Aoinse with hands on her hips. "What's this, boss? You bringing in a golem to replace me? Ain't I working hard enough for your liking?"

Tobar chuckles at Machi's misunderstanding (fake or not). "I could never replace you, Machi. Besides, I meant what I said before - the shop is yours now. All this traipsin' around the island means I'm never here. You worked hard for this, you deserve it."

"Aoinse here may be a construct, but she's a thinking one - or at least, so close as makes no difference. Seemed fitting to me to introduce a clockwork woman, to a woman who makes clockworks."


Aoinse affects a stiff bow before Machi. "Pleased to meet you, Mistresss Machi. I am happy to assist you in any way you require."

The tattooed woman barks a laugh. "'Mistress Machi,' is it? I think It kinda has a nice ring to it." She claps Tobar on the shoulder. "Thank you, my friend. When I first set sail for Andoran, I had no spouse, no job, no purpose. You've given me two of the three, and that ain't bad."


Male Human Bard (Archaeologist) 10; HP 63/63; AC 21/14/18; F+4/R+10/W+7; Init+3; Per+20; Arch.Luck+3,6/6

After a time of searching and finding some promising stones, Gideon brings them back to Talmandor's Bounty. Thanking Tipps again for his help, Gideon heads to Luetin's workshop.

Knocking on the door, he pokes his head inside. "Luetin! You here? With your permission I'd like to use your workshop and some of your equipment. I need some help makin' a mold. For a ring. I've got all the other jewelry crafting stuff I'd need, but the forge isn't exactly my specialty."


|HP: 104/104| AC: 25 (13 Tch, 23 Fl) | CMB: +13, CMD: 24 | F: +13, R: +7, W: +10 | Init: +1 | Dip:+13, Perc: -1, Swim: +16, UMD: +10 | Speed 20ft | Smite 4/4, LoH (5/6d6) 8/8, Bond 1/1 (10mins) | Active conditions:

"I can imagine!" Terana replies with a laugh. "This is a good place you know. Much of the land is wild, you could live here as you wish - hunt, dance to drums, there is nothing wrong with that. The colonists here would accept you I'm sure. The mating rituals might have to be toned down though..."

She stares out to sea for a long minute, thinking about life beneath the Eye - a simple life not all that far from the one that Aeroclyse describes.

"Beauty is important." She says eventually. "It is what makes us different from the animals, makes us more than animals. We should embrace beauty where we find it, in all its forms. There is a lot of beauty here my friend. Working with others, carving a life for yourself and those close to you. That is beautiful too."

The cyclops and the gillwoman sit together for a long time, until Terana eventually starts trying to coax Aeroclyse into the water with her.


Male Human Gunslinger (bolt ace) 8/Slayer (sniper) 1 | 75/75 HP | AC 23 T 16 FF 17 | Fort +10 Ref +12 Will +4 | Initiative +4 (+6 w/at least 1 grit) | Perception +14 | Grit 4/4 | Set Mind 1/1
DM Brainiac wrote:

Aoinse affects a stiff bow before Machi. "Pleased to meet you, Mistresss Machi. I am happy to assist you in any way you require."

The tattooed woman barks a laugh. "'Mistress Machi,' is it? I think It kinda has a nice ring to it." She claps Tobar on the shoulder. "Thank you, my friend. When I first set sail for Andoran, I had no spouse, no job, no purpose. You've given me two of the three, and that ain't bad."

Tobar chuckles and says to Machi, "Hey, you put in the hard work. I didn't GIVE you anything - you showed that you were the right person for the job. Two outta three is pretty good, an' with the fresh infusion of new faces in the colony, maybe three outta three is on the table. If that's what you want - maybe you like your life better now that it's in your own hands an' it's all right to go for two outta two."


Luetin nods to Gideon. "Yeah, sure, ya betcha! I'm happy to accommodate a big gods damn hero like yerself! A ring, eh? Are ya planning what I think ya are?"

***

"We each find beauty in different places, I suppose. I regret that I am unable to see this island's beauty for myself."

When Terana tries to coax Aeroclyse into the water, the cyclops waves her off. "Never been the best swimmer. I doubt being blind will make it any easier."

***

Machi nods in agreement. "Maybe you're right. I don't need anybody else to be happy. Thanks for the pep talk, boss."


|HP: 104/104| AC: 25 (13 Tch, 23 Fl) | CMB: +13, CMD: 24 | F: +13, R: +7, W: +10 | Init: +1 | Dip:+13, Perc: -1, Swim: +16, UMD: +10 | Speed 20ft | Smite 4/4, LoH (5/6d6) 8/8, Bond 1/1 (10mins) | Active conditions:

"You can paddle at least!" Terana persists, the amusement clear in her tone. "You're eight feet tall! You could walk across this bay and keep your head dry the whole way."

If coaxing fails she goes into the water and simply splashes him instead!


"Oh, fine," Aeroclyse grumbles, wading into the water of the bay. He doesn't seem happy about it though.


Male Human Bard (Archaeologist) 10; HP 63/63; AC 21/14/18; F+4/R+10/W+7; Init+3; Per+20; Arch.Luck+3,6/6

Gideon can't help but grin at the question. "Yeah...probably. Mum's the word, though. Don't wanna ruin the surprise." he answers. "And thanks for the help! It's appreciated."


"Sure thing, boss!" Luetin says, flashing a grin from behind his thick mustache. The smith works with Gideon for the majority of the day, and by the end, the bard has crafted his prize--a fine ring, fitted with a gleaming gemstone.


Female Half-Elf Cleric 10 I HP 71/71 I AC 22 [T10 FF22] I CMB +11 I CMD 21 I F +9 R +4 W +12 I Init +4 I Percep +4, low light vision I Speed 30 ft

Cathyriel doesn't have a lot to do here - let me know when you're all ready do go adventuring again :)


Male Human Gunslinger (bolt ace) 8/Slayer (sniper) 1 | 75/75 HP | AC 23 T 16 FF 17 | Fort +10 Ref +12 Will +4 | Initiative +4 (+6 w/at least 1 grit) | Perception +14 | Grit 4/4 | Set Mind 1/1

Tobar finishes showing Aoinse around the (now primitive-seeming) workshop, then waves goodbye to Machi and continues the tour with the friendly construct. Spotting Cathyriel standing around at loose ends he approaches the half-elf.

"'ey Red," he says with a bit of a country drawl. "I'm afraid there's not much to see or do yet - just the usual work of setting up a functioning town. But I hear that maybe they'll have a theater or somethin' built eventually."

He leans against a fence and says, "Definitely a lot slower than crawlin' through tunnels full of monsters and swimmin' for yer life. Ayup."


|HP: 104/104| AC: 25 (13 Tch, 23 Fl) | CMB: +13, CMD: 24 | F: +13, R: +7, W: +10 | Init: +1 | Dip:+13, Perc: -1, Swim: +16, UMD: +10 | Speed 20ft | Smite 4/4, LoH (5/6d6) 8/8, Bond 1/1 (10mins) | Active conditions:

Terana tries to convince the cyclops to have fun, and then settles down to giving him a good wash - particularly his matted hair. She tries to make the experience reasonably pleasant for the cyclops, massing his large arms with her strong hands.

"See, water isn't so bad!" She teases, hoping to earn a smile at least.


Aeroclyse grunts and protest at first to Terana's playful splashing, but finally relents to letting her wash the stench off of him. "Fine. I will admit it has a certain charm. So long as we stay in the shallows."


Male Human Bard (Archaeologist) 10; HP 63/63; AC 21/14/18; F+4/R+10/W+7; Init+3; Per+20; Arch.Luck+3,6/6

Gideon is grinning like a cheshire cat when he sees the finished product of the work - a ring with a band of refined gold and set with a polished gemstone he had cut himself, the product of the most meticulous and careful work he'd probably ever done in his life.

***

That evening, he asks Kulena to go for a walk on the beach with him, just the two of them. After he's sure they're alone, he clears his throat quietly, seeming uncharacteristically thoughtful, and as they walk he talks to her about the adventures he's had since he's come here and the things that the colony as a whole, and the two of them in particular, have endured. He speaks slowly, deliberately, clearly thinking about every word before he says it, almost as if he's been rehearsing this mentally for a while.

"I know it worries you when I go out as I do...but I'm afraid I'm gonna have to keep doing it for a little while longer. This danger is past, but there's more that needs doing. I've told you about the underwater city we're going to so we can get some more info on things we learned in that underwater cathedral and I'm not sure how long I'll be gone. I want you to know, though, that what I've always said is still true. You're the reason I keep fightin' and the reason I keep winnin'. Talmandor's Bounty is where I live, but...you're my home. That won't change...ever. You're the love of my life, Kulena..."

He trails off, turning to face her. [b]"And when we come back from this underwater city, I don't wanna come back to my girlfriend. I want to come home to my wife." he says, reaching into his pocket and removing a gold ring set with a large sapphire that glitters in the light of the setting sun.

"Kulena Sprads...will you marry me?"


Kulena gasps when Gideon presents the ring. "Gods and goddesses! It's beautiful!" The woman's eyes sparkle with happy tears as she throws her arms around Gideon. "Yes! Yes, of course! I will marry you, Gideon Ross!"


Male Human Bard (Archaeologist) 10; HP 63/63; AC 21/14/18; F+4/R+10/W+7; Init+3; Per+20; Arch.Luck+3,6/6

Gideon's grin feels about a mile wide as he returns the gesture, pulling Kulena close to him and holding her against his chest. He holds her there for several moments before loosening his hold on her just a bit, enough that he is able to slip the ring onto her finger, before he pulls her in again.


Kulena kisses Gideon for a long time. Eventually, she pulls away, and the bard can see the wheels in her head turning. "Who should marry us? Father Eamon or Father Kurvis? I'll have to pick a maid of honor and you a best man. I'll need a dress, of course. Maybe Kereda Harper can help with that..."

3,501 to 3,550 of 3,559 << first < prev | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Brainiac's Ruins of Azlant: Gills and Grit Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.