Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Depora Azrinae

kevin_video's page

Goblin Squad Member. FullStarFullStar Pathfinder Society GM. 2,784 posts (2,785 including aliases). 14 reviews. 1 list. 1 wishlist. 24 Pathfinder Society characters. 4 aliases.


RSS

1 to 50 of 2,784 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

For those just starting, Necromancers of the Northwest has released two villain pdfs of archetypes. I have to admit that I wish I was playing now because I would have loved to have played the extortionist (investigator) and taken the extortion crime trait.

Villainous Archetypes I
Villainous Archetypes II

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

The final "official" entry. Thanks to everyone who read my posts, and supported my doing this.

Changes I made to WotW--Book 7, part 4.

Good luck to everyone in your own games.

Grand Lodge

You'd almost think this was written by a more intelligent Grumblejack.

Grand Lodge

James Martin wrote:

I'm very much looking forward to this module. I have enjoyed all the other bits and this looks fun, too. Can I make a request? If we're going to run this at Free RPG day, could we get a list of monsters/minis that we may need prior to release? It'll make the prep a lot easier!

Thanks!

Places that hold the games for FRPGD are supposed to receive the modules 1 week prior to the game. This gives you up to seven days to get read it and get the minis.

Grand Lodge

Marco Massoudi wrote:

I think this will be the last goblin adventure for a while.

As cool as they are/were we have reached the "Wolverine saturation" level - at least for me.
If this would have been a goblin pirate adventure with Ranzak or something with playing goblin vulture pilots - maybe that would have been different but the 4th adventure with the same gobos does not feel new and fresh anymore.

I agree a pirate adventure would be amazing.

Grand Lodge

JoelF847 wrote:
So a prequel? How's that work with We Be Goblins in terms of level and XP? I'd think if you play this first you're likely to be higher than 1st level afterwards. Will you be playing NPC class goblins who "convert" to 1st level PC classes or something?

I too am quite curious how this will work out. Especially for PFS.

Grand Lodge

So, I had to go and edit/revise a previous statement regarding the Skill Focus feat. Our good traitorous Barca, is a half-elf. I even specified that. What I didn't specify was that there's an alternate trait that lets you swap out Skill Focus for a human bonus feat. I've since put that in there, and revised my entire paragraph. Also, anyone wanting to keep Leadership, the Freeport Companion noble class gives it at 1st level without needing to meet the prereqs. So, instead of taking levels of aristrocrat, take noble instead.

Grand Lodge

Looks like things are finally fixed in my DriveThru account as I received an email to "remind" me the the 20% off deal was ending this week. Glad to finally be in the know on things related FMG.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Exactly. They're evil. The true stereotype is that bad things happen to those who screw up. Normally, loyalty is rewarded regardless of good or evil. Failure tends to result in death--a bullet to the head or cement shoes.
I look at this the same way as the Godfather. You do right by Asmodeus, you can ask what you want, within reason. You question or go against him, the least that's going to happen is your favourite horse's head ends up in bed with you. That's a punishment. That shouldn't be your end game reward.

@JohnHawkins--Regarding "challenge them", that's fine so long as it's realistic. In Book 6, when Gary gives the alternate encounter, it's fine if they're super powerful, but to me it felt like a sad little GM throwing a tantrum because he wasn't winning. Which, GM's aren't supposed to win. They're supposed to make the game fun. Instead, we get the GM that who's like "What? You managed to beat that CR? Well, then all your minions and cohorts, except Grumblejack for some reason, run away because they're scared, and you now have to face this new epic encounter plus a dozen angels. So there."

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Changes I made to WotW--Book 7, part 3.

One entry left. At least when it comes to Book 7.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Unfortunately, due to its overwhelmingly large size, I couldn't quote it here, but I just wanted to remind everyone of the giant list of links I gave last year regarding additional adventures for your group should you Book 3 and the others not be available. Well, that's still unfortunately the case. So, here's the list link. With some people now having access to the world map that Gary released, you now know about the sunless seas. I want to point out that Night Below would be perfect for this as part 3 of the series is actually called "The Sunless Sea". The conversion pdf only gets you as far as D&D 3.0, but that won't be difficult to push it to Pathfinder.

I'm doing this because no everyone will go through all of the pages to see what's been made available, and what hasn't, and some of you are either at the end of Book 2 or nearing completion. At the very least, you can use this to do your own game.

Regarding the Night Below series, it seems someone here on the forums did a few PF conversions. That could be of some assistance.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
MannyGoblin wrote:
Read your notes on changes and yea, let the PCs have their win. Sure they are devils and now have an eternity of grinding against the Iron Ceiling for bits of power.

Thanks for reading, and agreeing. Regardless of which ending you read, unless you're a nice GM who gives them the "good" ending there's just too many "pull the rug from under them" scenarios. Seems almost childish to do that. It's like you're waiting for Ashton Kutcher to show up and "You've been Punk'd!"

Grand Lodge

James, off of the top of your head, can you think of any adventures that you guys have published that have bugbears and ettins with class levels? I think I remember a bugbear ranger, but I don't recall much else with regards to those two monsters.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Changes I made to WotW--Book 7, part 2.

I'll definitely be doing at least three parts for this.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
KenderKin wrote:
KV.....you just need to write your own AP for us!

At the moment, I'm writing a 3-part 4th level adventure module for the local Pathfinder tournament in June. The first part playtest went very well. Part 2 will be in March, and we'll figure something out after that.

N. Jolly, one of the best writer of Purple Duck Games, is going to help me publish the adventure if no one picks it up. So, come July if all goes well, I'll either have my own company name, or someone will release my adventure for people to try out. My intention is to release it as a "Pay what you want". We'll see how it goes. What you plan for and what actually happens isn't always necessarily the same thing.

Grand Lodge

So, typical response from DTRPG. They say that nothing is wrong on their side, and that I must have inputted the wrong email to the KS survey. Since I get updates and newsletters, obviously not.

Grand Lodge

Quintain wrote:
You'd have to set the Drive-Thru rpg to follow his company. In order to get these newsletters.

Yup. Did that a long time ago. Hence my confusion.

Grand Lodge

SnowHeart wrote:

The emails are sent via Drive-Thru RPG. So, if you're not getting them, do you have an account there and, if so, check your privacy settings.

Kevin, I just sent you the text of the email via PM.

I definitely have an account with them. I use them more than any other web store. They're looking into why I'm not getting the emails when I get everything else. Last year I didn't get anything for some reason. Like, at all. It was like I didn't exist. They've fixed that.

Grand Lodge

Steve Geddes wrote:
Is it possibly a DTRPG account setting? I disabled emails from publishers I'd bought from. I don't think I even get emails when PDFs get updated anymore.

Possibly. I've brought it up before and they're like "So? It's minor what was said anyway." You know, because they care. I like getting all the newsletters and any info on companies.

Grand Lodge

I wonder if it's because I already own everything that I don't get it. Still, it'd be nice.

Grand Lodge

If someone still has that email, please let me know. I'd like that person to forward it to me. DriveThru/RPGNow doesn't believe I haven't received it or any of the other previous emails regarding FMG discounts.

Grand Lodge

SnowHeart wrote:
@Kevin - An email went out yesterday or the day before announcing a 20% off sale for FMG products as it was the birthday of Gary's daughter, Ruth.

What? Why do I constantly never get any of these? He's released at least three of them and I haven't gotten even one. I feel so left out. So much for being a big supporter. Totally not recognized at all.

Grand Lodge

I don't know how many people still follow the KS, but I'm confused by one of the recent comments. Can someone explain to me the "happy birthday, Ruth"? Did Gary make a blog somewhere and wish someone a happy birthday?

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Looking over the template, the half-marilith only grants two extra arms. The picture has six, not four. This makes me think that either Gary didn't tell Michael the exact details (possibly vague), or he's adding an extra two arms to the build regardless, or it is a drowblood marilith. In which case, it's going to be a difficult battle for the PCs if it's actually a CR 17-18. I went with a Young creature build just so it could fit in a standard drow sized throne. Despite it being a higher CR, it does say that the PCs are supposed to make her an ally, and not so much fight her. With made this with that in mind.

No idea what her name would be, but I figured I'd make one up regardless. So, here's my attempt.

Grand Lodge

Insain Dragoon wrote:
Do these classes cap out at the hit die of the monsters they represent?

The majority will, yes. There may be an exception here or there if the creature was actually originally a template, and not a base creature.

Grand Lodge

I'm grateful to hear that, guys. I'll continue to upload more. At the moment I'm trying to figure out how he planned to do up that six-armed drow. Either a drowblood marilith, possibly young (CR 17-18) or a drow noble with class levels and the variant half-fiend (half-marilith) template (any CR). If he's going the same route as with Way of the Wicked, then Book 3 should end with the PCs at level 13 and taking on a CR 15-16 as the boss. This makes me think it's the latter.

Grand Lodge

For the longest time, I was trying to remember the name of an underground 3.5 adventure, but couldn't. As luck would have it, it has gnomes. I've ran it before, and at the time the party just so happened to be all dwarves. The adventure in question is just a one-shot called Tiger's Palace, and it's written by Rogue Genius Games alumni and now Paizo writer, Owen K. Stephens. At the time it was a free adventure, but since the updating of the site to 5E, only the write-up exists, not the download.

If you can find a way to get it, this could be another potential side adventure until Book 3 comes out, or if you're dumping the campaign and doing your own thing, this would work out for that too.

Grand Lodge

The NPC wrote:
kevin_video wrote:
The NPC wrote:
How functional will the classes be if used with a common race rather than the class specific race?
Not exactly sure what you mean. A human can't take levels of ogre class. Each monster will start out as a base race (based on the racial points of the Advanced Race Guide), and then take levels of the monster class until they become their standard version found in the Bestiary.
Say I have human and by GM fiat was allowed to take say levels of succubus. Would that still work mechanically?

It would not.

Grand Lodge

The NPC wrote:
How functional will the classes be if used with a common race rather than the class specific race?

Not exactly sure what you mean. A human can't take levels of ogre class. Each monster will start out as a base race (based on the racial points of the Advanced Race Guide), and then take levels of the monster class until they become their standard version found in the Bestiary.

Grand Lodge

The NPC wrote:
What monsters are currently available?

Just the astral deva.

Grand Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.

At this point you guys aren't likely looking forward to my updates, but still I've come across something that I wanted to add.

In the AAW Aventry Bestiary there's a mushroom golem. It's CR 10, and is actually fairly easy to make when you look at its requirements for building it. It also just needs a single mushroom stock for its body. Looking it over, I could see a few of these popping up in the Mushroom Forest from time to time, should any dwarves or drow decide to randomly venture out and explore.

Also in the book is the CR 5 ahool. It's essentially a man-bat, much like the Batman animated series. It has blindsense, darkvision, and likes to live in caves or underground. As well, there's a base race version called the ahooling.
Speaking of base races, there's another called the funglet. Basicaly a mushroom man.

What could also be found in the Mushroom Forest, much like any forest, are the giant grasshopper creatures known as chikfari. They're only CR 4, but they understand the spoken language of Undercommon. If the CR 4 isn't what you're looking for, there's a subchart that gives you weaker or stronger versions.

What's easily the scariest thing in the book, and something I would consider throwing at the PCs at the end of the game (should we ever see Book 6) is the Dark Angel (CR 23). It looks like a lich queen or D&D's Vecna, except with molted wings and really messed up looking alien spider legs.

Back to the forest for creatures once more, we have the fungiant. It's literally a giant fungus that looks like a walking mushroom (CR 13). However, it does not have any kind of darkvision.
That said, there's an undead plant called the goemul (CR 11). It definitely has darkvision.

Overall, there's a lot of underground creatures in here that could easily be adapted and brought over to Throne of Night. There's slugs and slug queens, a polymorphing slug that takes the form of drow (perhaps in infiltration backstory that could be drawn out in your campaign), a crazy number of aberrations that fit well with the apparent theme Gary seems to be going for in the later books, aquatic creatures that can be in the sunless sea, giant vermin with tremorsense, specific underground bat swarms, oozes (including aquatic ones), and templates.

Grand Lodge

SACplayin wrote:

@ Jeffrey Swank

Hi there I love PoW and your psionics products so I'm very interested in this as well.

Though I have a question is there any central design mechanic that runs across all the "monster classes" ie manuevers and stances from path of war, that distinguish your monster classes from other third party publishers. A good example to compare would be rite publishing's In the company of series.

The monster classes in here are closer to what we saw in the 3.5/3.0 Savage Species. Essentially it's the same monsters you see in the Bestiary books, but they're broken down to individual levels.

Grand Lodge

Been waiting on this since Zerzix first did the beta version five years ago.

Grand Lodge

Jeffrey Swank wrote:
As each monster is complete they will be released individually, incase peeps don't want to wait, or just want a single class and not all of them. When finished with all layout/art/editing, they will be released as a massive book.

So essentially it's business as usual for Dreamscarred Press.

Grand Lodge

It's not 100% complete, but it's out. The monster classes book.

Grand Lodge

I blame you guys. All this talk about adding extras got my writing juices flowing.

Final, final entry for Book 6. Changes I made to WotW--Book 6, part 7.

Just watch, you guys will do it again and I'll have to write a final, final, FINAL entry. =P

Grand Lodge

Just posted on the Book 7 thread, and I have to admit that it's such a huge difference doing from the Book 1 to Book 6 to Book 7 threads. This only has four pages, but Book 7 only has 10 comments. Damn.

Gotta say John, I'm looking forward to what you plan to do for the Moon Princess.
My brain's a bit fuzzy so you'll need to remind me on Verenellia.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Wow, only 10 comments on this thread. I'm a little surprised by this. Didn't realize so few people talked on this one compared to the others.

Anyhow, Changes I made to WotW--Book 7, part 1.

Looking things over, I wonder if I'll be doing two or three parts for this. Hmm.

Grand Lodge

James Jacobs wrote:
kevin_video wrote:

Dear James,

I'm not sure if you're in the know on this, but is there a chance of any playtest classes this year? I really enjoy playing around with beta classes, and seeing them evolve over time. I may not always agree with the final product, but it's the experience of helping out and knowing I was a part of something big that always makes me want to come back and do it again.

I am in fact absolutely in the know on this. I know what our plans are out to 2020 and beyond. Part of the benefit (and stress) of being one of the company's highest level employees!

That said, it's neither the time nor the place to reveal that information. When and if it happens, you'll hear, but not from me.

That sounds great, but also unfortunate to be that mixed up in things. Makes you wonder if there are days if you're unsure if you're coming or going. Regarding your "one of the company's highest level employees" comment, any of you guys reach level 20 or epic levels yet?

That's fair regarding info like that being time and place sensitive.

Grand Lodge

Dear James,

I'm not sure if you're in the know on this, but is there a chance of any playtest classes this year? I really enjoy playing around with beta classes, and seeing them evolve over time. I may not always agree with the final product, but it's the experience of helping out and knowing I was a part of something big that always makes me want to come back and do it again.

Grand Lodge

Good gravy that makes her super powerful. She might actually be a real threat to the PCs with that. I'll be sure to add that to my entry.

Final entry for Book 6. Changes I made to WotW--Book 6, part 6.

Grand Lodge

Darkfire142 wrote:
NPC's don't have to follow the same rules as Player Characters so you don't have to Nit-Pick about every single detail of a character. I've done stuff like given character levels to Ogre Magi to give them more class features and spells and while technically boosting their CR, they aren't overpowered because they don't get AC or equipment bonuses from those extra levels. NPC's are there to be a challenge so I often gloss over game balance to give them stats and abilities they would plausably have.

Actually, yes you do have to conform to the rules for NPCs when you're publishing an adventure. What happens in a home game afterwards is up to the GM. If a GM wants to give an NPC or monster three times the normal Con and maximum hp and then multiple the total by two, but not change the CR, that's their privilege. I've experienced it, and it sucks. However, you can't put that in a published adventure.

Grand Lodge

JohnHawkins wrote:

The only way I can think of without extra templates is that she got a +2 Stat bonus from some other source, there are a couple of points in the adventure when pc's can get odd stat bonuses from interacting with the alters of Asmodeus (The 2nd part of the Ritual to summon Vetra Kali, and after killing Thorne in the temple and maybe in Devaryn) so I would assume a +2 Sacred bonus from Mithra.

The other possibility is a Variant Half dragon template with a higher charisma boost than normal which a

Incidentally Azlanti human would not help it just gives +2 to all stats as the racial instead of +2 to 1 stat so her charisma still tops out at 38.

Also she knows Wish so she does not need a tome she can just cast wish on herself to boost stats (still costs money though)

It still would have been nice if he'd mentioned where it came from. I agree that Mitra could have given the boost, and it be sacred. The boost the PCs get is an inherent bonus that you'd get from wish or a tome/manual.

There's a houserule I found for how you can get up to 22 for a stat by following the incremental rise of how much each point costs. So if you used that and had the Azlanti variant you could still do it with 25 point buy.
Don't forget that wish is a prerequisite to make the tomes and manuals. Again, it's nice to have it listed under wealth.
If there's a variant dragon template that gives +4 Cha it should lower another stat to compensate.

And I just realized that Regina has resist energy as a 2nd level spell, not first. That's a no-no.

It's times like this that I wish Gary was around.

Grand Lodge

So I ended up discussing it with a few people on the Pathfinder page on Facebook, and it's absolutely impossible to get a 40 in a stat without multiple templates, unless you're Azlanti. Guaranteed the princess is not. However, I break down what I would do to keep the stats as-is in the second last entry. I thought it'd the last one, but it went on way longer than I expected. I am beyond tired at the moment. Eyes can barely stay open. Not that, that means much when your arm's in such severe pain. Ugh.

At any rate, Changes I made to WotW--Book 6, part 5. Enjoy.

Grand Lodge

James Jacobs wrote:
kevin_video wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
kevin_video wrote:
James, ignoring the fact that 3.5 had a limit of +6 for standard stat boost items, and then had separate rules for "epic" +8, +10, and +12 stat boost items, what would you say to a player that said "adhering to the rules" they wanted a headband of intellect +29? They have the money, and they have the 821 days to craft it. Apparently, they say that while it's likely frowned upon, Kingmaker is one of the few AP that make allow it to happen. I've never heard of such a thing even remotely being possible, but due to the rule for times squared and the fact that Pathfinder doesn't have a limit specifically put in the books, they say this is good to go.

I'd say no. And there's nothing in Kingmaker that would allow it either. The fact that Pathfinder doesn't have a limit specifically put in the books is NOT the same as us saying "there's no limit."

What you say as GM of your game is not up to me though. And what you as the GM say is, in fact, the limit that your player needs to comply with.

If only I was the GM. As a fellow player I can only advise the GM what he should and shouldn't consider. That said, if you're ruthless enough and the GM is green enough, it's unfortunately easy to pressure your way into allowing a GM to let things go. I'm told that up to a +38 bonus was approved and that he rules lawyered that only a CL 8 was needed.

I just needed to know that I wasn't blowing smoke or being biased due to being an older player who played previous editions.

I appreciate you taking the time to answer.

Wow. Why did he stop there? Why not just bully the GM into granting him a +30 dancing speed vorpal scythe?

Thankfully he abides by the rules as written. You can't have a weapon or armor bonus enchanted unless it's done by a caster three times the level. No level 90 casters.

Grand Lodge

James Jacobs wrote:
kevin_video wrote:
James, ignoring the fact that 3.5 had a limit of +6 for standard stat boost items, and then had separate rules for "epic" +8, +10, and +12 stat boost items, what would you say to a player that said "adhering to the rules" they wanted a headband of intellect +29? They have the money, and they have the 821 days to craft it. Apparently, they say that while it's likely frowned upon, Kingmaker is one of the few AP that make allow it to happen. I've never heard of such a thing even remotely being possible, but due to the rule for times squared and the fact that Pathfinder doesn't have a limit specifically put in the books, they say this is good to go.

I'd say no. And there's nothing in Kingmaker that would allow it either. The fact that Pathfinder doesn't have a limit specifically put in the books is NOT the same as us saying "there's no limit."

What you say as GM of your game is not up to me though. And what you as the GM say is, in fact, the limit that your player needs to comply with.

If only I was the GM. As a fellow player I can only advise the GM what he should and shouldn't consider. That said, if you're ruthless enough and the GM is green enough, it's unfortunately easy to pressure your way into allowing a GM to let things go. I'm told that up to a +38 bonus was approved and that he rules lawyered that only a CL 8 was needed.

I just needed to know that I wasn't blowing smoke or being biased due to being an older player who played previous editions.

I appreciate you taking the time to answer.

Grand Lodge

James, ignoring the fact that 3.5 had a limit of +6 for standard stat boost items, and then had separate rules for "epic" +8, +10, and +12 stat boost items, what would you say to a player that said "adhering to the rules" they wanted a headband of intellect +29? They have the money, and they have the 821 days to craft it. Apparently, they say that while it's likely frowned upon, Kingmaker is one of the few AP that make allow it to happen. I've never heard of such a thing even remotely being possible, but due to the rule for times squared and the fact that Pathfinder doesn't have a limit specifically put in the books, they say this is good to go.

Grand Lodge

BTW, did anyone figure out just how the Princess ended up with Cha 40? Even with a tome of leadership and influence +5 I can only figure she's got a 38. I'm using the point buy calculator to help with this.

Her base stats are 8, 10, 14, 10, 14, 18
Human +2 to Cha
Sorcerer 20 bonus stats +5 to Cha
Half-dragon template +8 Str, +6 Con, +2 Int, +2 Cha
Headband of Mental Superiority +6

This gets her to 16, 10, 20, 18, 20, 33

Not noted, but let's assume she actually did read a tome of leadership and influence +5 to get her to 38 and Gary just forgot to make note of it. Where's the extra +2 come from to make it 40?

Grand Lodge

Restless night once more, so I did up a new entry. The next one should be the last for Book 6. For now, Changes I made to WotW--Book 6, part 4.

Grand Lodge

After a very much needed break here's Changes I made to WotW--Book 6, part 3.

And now, I have to rest. As my entry states, I had my cortisone shot yesterday, and it's completely wiped me out, and the pain is just as insane with the shot as it was without. I'm told I have to wait up to a week before it properly kicks in. Ugh.

1 to 50 of 2,784 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

©2002–2015 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.