Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
James Jacobs

James Jacobs's page

Creative Director. Pathfinder Society Member. 47,709 posts (49,969 including aliases). No reviews. 2 lists. No wishlists. 1 Pathfinder Society character. 9 aliases.


RSS

1 to 50 of 47,709 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo Employee Creative Director

Thomas LeBlanc wrote:

James, you need to have a talk with the customer service people. I ordered a deinonychus from the Dungeons Deep Battles and the order information sheet lists a velociraptor...

Thankfully, I received a deinonychus and not a velociraptor. Looking for something more animal companion sized rather than familiar sized.

The reason for the mixup is that somewhere along the line during the creation of that mini there was a miscommuniciation. It was originally supposed to be a velociraptor, but then the mini was cast as a Medium figure, not a Small, so we had to change the name from "Velociraptor" to "Deinonychus" at the very last minute. Obviously, all those changes went through fine and well as far as the physical product is concerned, but apparently there's a few places where the original name remained stuck in the system here and there.

That said... 10:55 in the night, 5 hours before I'm due to head to the airport for Gen Con is about the exact right time for me to not be all that interested in sending customer service a change request, even if that were my job. My suggestion would be to drop them a note to let them know that the order info sheet has an error on it, if it's really that important to you. You got the right mini, though, and since there IS no Small velociraptor mini from Paizo at this point anyway, I'm pretty sure it's not gonna be a problem...

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Archpaladin Zousha wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Archpaladin Zousha wrote:
Odd question involving Mass Effect: Should I make my commander Shepard black-haired or dishwater blonde?
Black-haired.

Thanks! :)

Which Inner Sea nation has the best pants? Like, if my character wanted the best pair of pants possible, where would he/she shop for them?

Absalom or Katapesh.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

shadram wrote:

Hi James!

Will you be using the word "cyclopean" during your AP seminar at GenCon?

Hope you enjoy some part of the weekend, and get some time to relax. I'll be watching the internet news feeds closely for your announcements, trying not to feel too jealous of the people in attendance...

You'll have to wait and see. As for Gen Con... I don't really regard it as a time to relax. It is, in fact, the week of the year that I'd nominate as the exact OPPOSITE as relaxing.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Archpaladin Zousha wrote:
Odd question involving Mass Effect: Should I make my commander Shepard black-haired or dishwater blonde?

Black-haired.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Flynn Greywalker wrote:

Okay oh Great Sage James of the Paizo Temple, I have a question for your sagely wisdom:

In an mainly undead baddy campaign, how will the following plan of action of one of my new players that is looking to play a 10th level wizard affect the undead:
1) The wizard wants to use the spell Unprepared Combatant in round 1 to lower the undead baddy's initiative place in the next round of combat.
2) Then, using the dazing spell metamagic feat, he wants to then cast a spell with this and daze the creature due to lowering it's reflex save by 4.

Would this work on say: Ghouls, Ghasts, Wights, Liches, Vampires and Zombie Lords? Or would Dazing Assault work better as a feat?

Thanks for your grizzled veteran designer wisdom (as you can tell, I am laying it on thick going into Gencon lol).

Dunno. I'm not familiar with those feats and spells and options off the top of my head, and that sounds like a bunch of questions that'd better be asked on the rules fourms anyway; sorry!

Paizo Employee Creative Director

The Golux wrote:

James,

Most things requiring Will saves are Mind-Effecting, in fact I can't think of any off the top of my head that aren't. Do any come to mind for you?

Channeled energy and inflict wound spells. Harm. Holy Word. Mislead. Plane shift.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Justin Franklin wrote:
Samy wrote:
So any idea at which point we'll find out? Is it more Sunday than Friday?
AP is at 12:00 EDT on Friday.

There ya go. And taking our previous AP seminars in mind... we'll likely be announcing what the late 2016 AP is at about 12:10 EDT or thereabouts.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

ulgulanoth wrote:
James how would you go about describing a large tower filled with undead?

In the format of an adventure. Gallowspire comes to mind as Golarion's iconic undead-filled tower.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

2 people marked this as a favorite.

The assumption in my head is that all PLAYER CHARACTERS (including our iconics, who are player character stand-ins) are literate, because the basic assumptions of the game work better when player characters can interact and communicate efficiently.

Whether or not an NPC (including Valeros's parents) are literate is entirely up to the author/developer/GM.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Legendary Mythic Maniac wrote:
Shisumo wrote:
Looks like you're officially onboard for Legendary Planet! Very excited to see what you bring to it!

And the project is fully funded for levels 1-20, with just two hours to go!

So Erik Mona is writing the introduction to Legendary Planet. Are you and he coordinating your contributions or are you working on separate pieces?

Separate pieces. When Jason contacted me to join the project, he basically said I could write anything I wanted for it. It's not going to be a huge amount—about 3,000 words or so (that translates into about 6 pages of content). As for what it is I'll be contributing to the final product... not sure yet. I suspect that I'll have a better idea after Gen Con... especially since my roommate at the show is the guy who'll be developing the project!

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Flynn Greywalker wrote:

James, I have some questions about The Carrion Crown "Ashes At Dawn" path module. SPOILER ALERT to those who read further.

** spoiler omitted **

Thanks again.

For these questions, I won't be able to give you answers as I only developed the first adventure in Carrion Crown, and haven't even read the other five other than a quick brief glance through the contents during the approval process many years ago—Rob was the one who developed this AP in large and it's to him that you should ask these questions. Wes can also reply too, but he's out of the office till mid next week...

Paizo Employee Creative Director

2 people marked this as a favorite.

It's not really odd at all. Even though the shadow plane is infused with negative energy... the creatures that dwell there are still either alive or undead. It's not WHERE you live that determines if you're healed by negative energy, but whether or not you're alive at all. AKA: If you're undead, you're healed by it wherever you might be, and if you're not, you're not.

There are, of course, some creatures that are alive and who ARE healed by negative energy, most of whom are natives to the Negative Energy Plane... but they're exceptions to the rule.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

2 people marked this as a favorite.
AlgaeNymph wrote:
What is it about Batman that makes you think he's chaotic good instead of neutral good?

I equate hard-core vigilantism with chaos.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

John Kretzer wrote:
I know you don't like Cons in general but is there anything you are looking forward too this Gencon?

It being over and me being back home in Redmond.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

2 people marked this as a favorite.
wabbitking wrote:
if you where a cleric for a evil aligned god, fiend whatever who would it be and what alignment would you be?

Chaotic evil; Nocticula.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Archpaladin Zousha wrote:

What was your favorite Shepard backstory in Mass Effect (Earthborn/Colonist/Spacer and War Hero/Sole Survivor/Ruthless)?

Do you have a favorite Knight of the Round Table? If so, who and why?

Spoiler:
Since Brevoy's one of your areas of influence on Golarion, do you have in your mind who/what Choral the Conqueror truly was/how he was able to get a pair of dragons to do his dirty work? I feel like that one endgame of Kingmaker where a red dragon shows up claiming to be him seems unusually specific. But then again, the one where they go around doing favors for the Eldest is unusually specific too, so maybe I'm just inadvertently spinning conspiracy theories and projecting them onto you.

Speaking of Brevoy and stuff, is Iobaria an area of influence for you too, or is that more someone else's purview? I know Reign of Winter was one of Rob's APs, but Kingmaker was one of yours. I have a question about styles there, and I wanna make sure I ask the right person about it.

Thank you! :)

Sole Survivor was the one I picked, I think... but that was back when Mass Effect 1 came out ages ago so it's hard to remember for sure. Might have been Colonist.

I don't have a favorite Knight of the Round Table. I never really got into the Camelot stuff.

Spoiler:
Brevoy is actually not particularly one of my areas of influence on Golarion. It's in Golarion because back in the early days of the setting, everyone on the Editorial staff more or less got to champion a region—Brevoy's was Jeremy Walker's. He no longer works at Paizo, and I suspect a fair amount of what we've done with Brevoy, Kingmaker included, took it in a direction he didn't expect or intend. The concluding the campaigns we provide for Adventure Paths are possibilities, but which one is the one that adds to a campaign (or perhaps both/all of them if your group is that devoted to the storyline) is 100% up to the individual group and GM. I'd rather not influence choices there by saying which one is my favorite... and to be honest, I've not read or looked over those words for that Continuing the Campaign for many years, and as such don't really have an opinion at this time anyway.

Rob's the one who's more or less been championing Iobaria. And Kingmaker is not really a Brevoy AP, but a Stolen Lands AP. Brevoy is just adjacent, and barely figures into the plot of Kingmaker at all.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

thegreenteagamer wrote:

Do you think Marvel and DC have inundated the movies too much yet?

Personally, I'm having a diminished rate of returns on excitement for each subsequent super hero movie. They've become so commonplace that it's kind of lost it's magic as a genre. Also, the Sony/Fox/Disney seperation of the Marvel universe (of which I'm a bigger fan than DC) really hurts. When Electro attacks New York, I keep thinking, there should be some news explaining why Thor is too busy to just suck him into his hammer and end the ordeal, or where is Spiderman when Loki has an army invading, or how has SHIELD not contacted any of the X-Men, etc... I think if they could just acknowledge one another they could write those little details into the background.

Who do you think should be the next Spiderman actor?

Why can't we get a good Punisher movie? Batman works (at least with Keaton or Bale), and Iron Man works, but Punisher movies are garbage. America loves non-powered heroes. America loves antiheroes. Why don't we get a good non-powered antiheroes movie?

Nah.

I think DC hasn't quite figured it out yet, in fact, unless Christopher Nolan is directing.

I was never really all that into superhero comics though and so don't really have many expectations.

I don't really have an opinion on who should be the next Spiderman.

And the problem with the Punisher movies is that there just hasn't been the right combination of director/actor/script yet, I guess.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Jacob Saltband wrote:
As a GM do you consider an unconscious opponent a valid target for a summoned monster? Without a common language between you and your summoned monster to communicate with can you direct said summoned monster to attack a prone unconscious opponent.

Generally no. That's kinda a jerk move to pull for starters. Unless I want an NPC to be perceived by the players as VERY EVIL, I generally don't have them attack unconscious PCs when conscious ones are still around and threatening and thus more appropriate targets. If the entire party is unconscious, I might have the NPCs capture then and shift into something like a prison break game, or I might TPK the party and start a new campaign depending on the tone and the players' preference.

For a PC-summoned creature, I do the same; if they're just summoned without having any way for the PC to communicate, the summoned creature defaults to attacking the summoning character's obvious foes. It won't seek out an invisible or hidden foe, nor will it attack foes that are not threatening the PC (as in the case of an unconscious foe), since the summoned creature does not consider an unconscious foe to be threatening. If the PC can communicate with her summoned creature, of course, it will do whatever it's commanded to do.

Prone is not the same as unconscious. A prone but conscious character is still a threat and likely will be continued to be attacked by a summoned monster, but it really depends on the situation, the summoned monster's personality and intelligence, and the positioning of foes on the battlefield.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

6 people marked this as a favorite.
Detoxicity wrote:
Why do Changelings not have the ability to change their form? They have no racial or SLA to shapechange.

Because changing shape is not part of their theme, nor is it intended to be, despite the fact that the word "change" is in their name. Pathfinder changelings are based on the real-world mythological changeling... a creature left with a human family to be raised by humans, who despite looking human herself, is not a human.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Minion GM wrote:

Can we look forward to more expansions to the Equipment Trick feat and, if so, what sort of things?

Might there be more hybrid type classes in the future?

We might drop in more Equipment Trick stuff in a random Player's Companion now and then, but at this time there is no specific plan to do so as far as I know. Talk to Owen if you want to see more of these in the Player's Companions.

No plans to do more hybrid classes. Advanced Class Guide was kinda built to get all the ones out we wanted out in one book, rather than spread them out.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
TheAlicornSage wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
TheAlicornSage wrote:

Is there a creative problem with non-humanoid, non-centuar shaped peoples in Galorian?

What about Awakened creatures that have full sentience? (and would an awakened creature's children be awakened as well)

I notice a distict lack of support in the race maker, (which seems more intended to modify the existing races than make new original ones.) and I was curious if that is something supported in the world and lore as a restriction or if it was purely a mechanical choice.

I have multiple non-humanoid races (not centaur like either) but I'm not sure just how much I'm twisting the lore in including them.

Your first question is confusing. "Non-humanoid, non-centaur shaped people" would include things like intellect devourers and dragons and xorns and aboleths and lots more. There's plenty of things that aren't humanoids or aren't centaurs in the game.

Awakened creatures appear in the game now and then, but not often. There's an awakened dinosaur in an upcoming adventure in fact. Whether or not an awakened creature's offspring are smart is up to the GM, but my take is no, they would not be.

A lack of support for WHAT in the race maker? For creating centaurs? That's because centaurs have racial Hit Dice and are not appropriate for many choices as a zero HD race as a result.

I meant as player suitable races. There are plenty as monsters but not any I know of that are treated as suitable for PCs nor any that have "civilized" societies.

As for the race maker, it actually does support centaur like beings, but if I want a creature that has no arms, such as tiger shaped race, nor a creature with no legs, such as a race with a snake body instead of legs. I just wasn't sure if it was a mechanical decision or a creative one.

---
What would you think of a race with the form of winged tigers?

The game assumes human-shaped PCs. From the assumption that every PC can navigate ladders, human-sized doors, and sleep in a bed to the fact that magic item slots are focused on the human shape to the fact that our campaign setting assumes human or near-human races are the dominant and most common species on the planet, because when the baseline assumption of "human" is established, the fantastic feels fantastic. If the baseline assumption is an exotic or fantastic or non-human race (aka if centaurs were common and all over and core player races), then an increasing amount of the fantastic in the setting becomes commonplace and mundane and, in my opinion, less interesting.

It's both a mechanical decision AND a creative one, in other words.

I think a race of flying tigers is an interesting idea for a monster race, be it a more animalistic species like griffons or wyverns or an intelligent species that might have its own society... but as a PC option? Not really interested in that.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Aelryinth wrote:

I note that the Blackguard is not among the normal Prestige classes listed for Paizo.

Was this deliberate so you couldn't have a base Evil class at the time, and has been perpetuated since?

The blackguard is basically a means to convert any Evil fighter type, esp fallen paladins, to an 'evil paladin' format.

If so, Hell's Rebels would be a perfect time to bring it back, in a way.

==Aelryinth

It was deliberate because the blackguard was 3rd edition D&D's take on the antipaladin, and we knew even in the Core Rulebook that we wanted to do our own version of it, and so didn't bother updating the blackguard as a result.

No plans to bring it back. Hell's Rebels has more than enough bad guys as it is.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

LazarX wrote:
Is the Anti-Paladin standard chaotic evil or lawful? I know you're not big on non-lawful good Paladins, but wondered if the same principle applied to his opposite cousin.

Antipaladins are chaotic evil in Pathfinder.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Filby Pott wrote:
Do giants worship or otherwise venerate titans?

Nope.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

The Golux wrote:
Darius Darrenbar wrote:

hey James,

we ever going to get a meet the iconics for the Anti-Paladin? Seems different enough from the Paladin to warrant some delving into.

Hell's Vengeance might be a good time for this, actually, do you agree? Especially since we now have both a LE and a NE one, a CE Antipaladin would fill out the chaotic side of the "token evil teammate" array.

On a related note, since I was going through the demographics list I made, James, are the religions and ethnicities of all the iconics established? I couldn't find the faiths of a few or the human ethnicities of a couple, especially of the Occult ones (though it's impressive how much information we DO have about them).

In fact, one of the six characters we'll be getting for Hell's Vengeance is, I believe, going to be an antipaladin. I'm not 100% sure. It will be a completely different antipaladin though ,I suspect.

The regions and ethniciteis of the iconics are indeed all established. We published those a while back for the originals when they showed up in Adventure Paths as pregenerated characters, but the new ones I'm not sure we've ever published unless they're buried in their Meet the Iconics blog posts.

But we do know all their alignments and ethnicities and homelands. We keep that info in a large spreadsheet. It's on Wes's computer and he's not in the office till after Gen Con, and I'm not ready to post that here in a post anyway. Maybe we'll reveal that list as a blog post someday.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Tels wrote:
Okay James, you have [dice=]1d100 hours to spend [dice=]5d20 million dollars. What do you spend it on?

If I had it this week? Bribes to keep me from going to Gen Con. Whatever's left over I would share with my family and friends.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Darius Darrenbar wrote:

hey James,

we ever going to get a meet the iconics for the Anti-Paladin? Seems different enough from the Paladin to warrant some delving into.

No. We don't currently have an iconic antipaladin, in fact. We don't consider the illustration we've used for him as an iconic, mostly at this point because Wayne Reynolds hasn't painted him, and we require all of our iconics to be created by Wayne because that gives them all the same artistic baseline.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Jacob Saltband wrote:

Question..

As a GM and/or Player do you feel that, besides a few Archtypes, the Fighter and Rogue classes have becone obsolete?

No.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Alundrell wrote:
Since Arueshalae is a demon that would have made her chaotic evil in her mortal life right? Since she would have become a larva in the abyss. Or ore there other ways for human souls to be damned to the abyss and become eventual demons?

She was indeed chaotic evil in her mortal life before.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

TheAlicornSage wrote:

Is there a creative problem with non-humanoid, non-centuar shaped peoples in Galorian?

What about Awakened creatures that have full sentience? (and would an awakened creature's children be awakened as well)

I notice a distict lack of support in the race maker, (which seems more intended to modify the existing races than make new original ones.) and I was curious if that is something supported in the world and lore as a restriction or if it was purely a mechanical choice.

I have multiple non-humanoid races (not centaur like either) but I'm not sure just how much I'm twisting the lore in including them.

Your first question is confusing. "Non-humanoid, non-centaur shaped people" would include things like intellect devourers and dragons and xorns and aboleths and lots more. There's plenty of things that aren't humanoids or aren't centaurs in the game.

Awakened creatures appear in the game now and then, but not often. There's an awakened dinosaur in an upcoming adventure in fact. Whether or not an awakened creature's offspring are smart is up to the GM, but my take is no, they would not be.

A lack of support for WHAT in the race maker? For creating centaurs? That's because centaurs have racial Hit Dice and are not appropriate for many choices as a zero HD race as a result.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

ShadowFighter88 wrote:

Any chance Ultimate Intrigue will include either trick arrows or some form of compact grappling hook launcher?

Also; have you had a chance to try out the Vigilante yourself yet?

I have no idea; Ultimate Intrigue is being handled pretty much 100% by the design team. I'm unlikely to have any input in it, but I do hope they'll look at a lot of the intriguey stuff I've already done over the past several months for Hell's Rebels.

I haven't looked at or tried out the Vigilante yet, other than to be worried about how to do a stat block for one in print without filling four pages.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Phylotus wrote:

My players are currently in a campaign (published adventure path) that is taking them to distant regions for short moments at a time before rocketing them to the next distant region, even to distant planets from Golarion. My concern is that they may not feel that they are in a living world because the set pieces change so much and they more than likely won't see the impact of their actions.

What are some things I can do to make them feel like their actions will have an impact after they are gone, rather than them just feeling like they're being shuttled between sets when their business is concluded?

Let them spend more time in each of these sites. I've played in campaigns like that before, and indeed it's dissatisfying to not have the time to get to know any place. I'd strongly consider letting them spend, at the very least, a level's worth of time in a location before moving them on...

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
The Golux wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
I fought hard to make sure that the young iconic did indeed have the ability score penalties that all young characters have, according to our rules, but in the end kinda had to settle for her being Small, which at one point was not gonna happen either.

I'm pretty sure Ezren and Estra don't have ability mods for being older either, and I know PFS characters made older don't get ability mods.

Speaking of the ability mods for young age (+2 Dex, -2 STR, -2 CON, -2 WIS), do you use those, or did you have input on them? The -2 CON seems a little odd to me, since children tend to be pretty healthy and recover from injuries comparatively well and quickly.

Then I'd quantify the lack of age mods for Ezren and Estra as sacrifices on the unholy altar of PFS normality and overprotective game balance.

I wasn't involved in the young character ability mods. I use them as written in my game. They are what they are, in large part, because penalties to STR and CON is how the game models creatures being smaller than normal.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

DM Artemis wrote:

The Illustrious Mr James Jacobs,

The shapeshifting hunter feat from ultimate combat says your Druid and ranger levels stack for selection of favored enemies. Does that also mean that a Druid 4/ ranger1 has two favored enemies both at +2, or one at +4 and one at+2. The wording of the feat implies only for selection of favored enemies, just wanted to know if you can increase your favored enemies bonuses past+2. Thanks so much you guys rock at paizo. Your she of worms modules are still my favorite!

That's a rules question; it should be asked in the rules forum so it can be FAQed and so the designers can see it.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Archpaladin Zousha wrote:
The prohibition of metal armor to druids is well known, but I believe that druids are capable of wearing studded leather without breaking their oaths. Does this mean if a type of armor has metal components but where the majority of its protective power doesn't come from that metal, a druid can wear them?

That's a GM call.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

rlfhog3 wrote:

I'm not sure if you're the person to ask about this and if not, i'd like to know who is but i have a question regarding the Variant Multiclassing Rules from Pathfinder unchained.

When using the Variant Multiclassing system does one gain anything beyond the secondary class features of the secondary class?
For instance, say i was a fighter with his secondary class being Wizard. Would all I gain be what is listed on the table for the wizard or do i also gain access to spells like a wizard does?
How about vice versa. If i was a wizard with a secondary class of fighter would i gain any of the weapon proficiencies that fighters normally do?

Secondly,
How did you guys plan that this system would work in conjunction with things like prestige classes? Suppose i end up qualifying for a prestige class and i'm using the Variant Multiclass system already. Let's say I'm a cleric with the wizard subclass and i decided i want to prestige into Agent of the Grave. How should i go about doing that in this system?

You're right. I'm not the right person to ask about it. I've not even read those rules yet. Haven't had the need, desire, or time to do so yet.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
xavier c wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Berselius wrote:
Can you give a reason why the fiendish races do not fight each other?

Yes.

Here are 3. There are more.

1) The outer planes that the fiends dwell on are individually larger than the known universe we live in, and are separated by distances far vaster than that. As a result, they generally don't share territories and come into contact all that often. They can't just teleport to and from the other planes either—that requires plane shift or gate, abilities most fiends don't have easy access to.

2) Fiends have more pressing matters to tend to than bickering and fighting with other fiendish races, be it tending to the machinations of hell, hunting and feeding on lost mortal souls, working to destroy the works of mortal accomplishment, encouraging sin, or whatever.

3) Because goodness is a much more abrasive factor to a fiend than evil of a different flavor, and as long as there are things like angels and agathions and azatas and all them to distract fiends, they'll focus most of their violence in the direction of these good outsiders, given the chance, than being distracted by other evil outsiders.

You say "The outer planes that the fiends dwell on are individually larger than the known universe we live in".

So how much larger are The outer planes compared to the Material Plane?

Big enough to encompass anything you need. Big enough that assigning a measurement to it, even via metaphor, lessens it.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

TheLastBaron wrote:
It makes a lot of sense to keep the two AP's as separate as possible. But some people, myself included, might want a stronger connection between the two. Once Hell's Vengeance starts publishing could we possibly see some kind of appendix with advice on how to add more connections between Rebels and Vengeance? For example, how to use the Glorious Reclamation in Hell's Rebels. PC's of a more Lawful bent may want to be involved with the Glorious Reclamation, after all.

You'll probably need to do that on your own for the most part, once all 12 volumes are out in mid 2016. We'll provide a LITTLE advice on combining the two if we can for both AP's Concluding the Adventure sections... but the way things are set up, I really don't think that mixing the two, or bolstering the presence of the Glorious Reclamation in Kintargo, makes much sense. Kintargo is not a big Iomedae city; we made the choices we made for a LOT of reasons including the fact that they don't overlap much geographically OR religiously.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

LazarX wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
donato wrote:
Are the Silver Ravens a small nod to the Jade Ravens from Savage Tide or are you just particular to ravens?

I'm just particular to ravens.

But also, the Silver Ravens are what they are because silver is anathema to devils, and because they use silver raven figurines to communicate.

But beyond all that... yeah, ravens are awesome.

Have you ever used a silver raven figurine as either a GM or a Player?

Yes. Both.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

LazarX wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Well... ALL intellect devourers are genderfluid. That's sort of kinda one of their whole points.
Would gender-irrelevant be more accurate?

No. Intellect devourers actively pursue the exploration of sensation and emotion and experience across all races and all genders.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

2 people marked this as a favorite.
donato wrote:
Are the Silver Ravens a small nod to the Jade Ravens from Savage Tide or are you just particular to ravens?

I'm just particular to ravens.

But also, the Silver Ravens are what they are because silver is anathema to devils, and because they use silver raven figurines to communicate.

But beyond all that... yeah, ravens are awesome.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Icyshadow wrote:
Haladir wrote:
Gorbacz wrote:
Well, the author of the GtDV was pretty big on dragons hanging around everywhere and being something more of a regular occurrence ... while ultimately James and Co decided that dragons in the Inner Sea are much more reclusive and don't mingle with humanoids. As a result, several dragon-related elements of the setting (such as parts of Dragons Revisited and Guardians of Dragonfall) have faded into the Never Mentioned Again Zone, where the keep company of Darklight Sisterhood and Paladins of Asmodeus.
I love the internal phrase they use at Paizo when talking about retconning things out of the campaign: "They got fire-cancer."
Fire-cancer? Is that a joke on "File Cancel" or something?

Nope.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Icyshadow wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Well... ALL intellect devourers are genderfluid. That's sort of kinda one of their whole points.
Isn't this the case with a lot of Aberration types, though?

No.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Dr. Johnny Fever wrote:


James,

I'm GMing a campaign with evil aligned PCs in Isger, and two questions have come up as I prep for this campaign:

1. What is the Hellknight's official stance on diabolism and devil-worship? Does it vary by order?

2. Are there any PF for growing settlements when the PCs are not rulers of an entire country? My PCs will be be taking over a PF conversion of The Keep on the Borderlands, but they aren't going to be rulers of a full country...how can they grow their single community?

Thanks!

1) Varies by order. Some oppose it. Some embrace it. Most think of it as a tool to be used to advance their own agenda.

2) Ultimate Campaign has the information you'll need for growing communities. You don't have to have the PCs themselves be rulers to use those rules to guide a growing community.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Pounce wrote:

Question about using the Summon Monster spells:

If summoned creatures are copies of a "perfect-ish" version of a creature, how does that work with the rule that says that - if the creature is killed while summoned - it takes 24 hours for the creature to reform and can be re-summoned? Would that type of creature be unable to be summoned at all, or would it simply just make a different copy?

In those cases, it's a limitation as much as the spell or effect as anything else. If a rule says it takes 24 hours for the creature to be summoned again... that's the way it works. It cant make a "different copy" because the energies used to make that creature need to recharge or whatever.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

CorvusMask wrote:

How much of stuff from 3.5 Pathfinder materials isn't canon anymore in Pathfinder?

Like, I'd assume that Astarathian isn't canon anymore since he doesn't fit current Pathfinder's take on dragons being hermits?

Most of the 3.5 Pathfinder stuff remains canon. Some of it just won't be things we ever talk about again is all.

Even though we have no plans to ever talk about, say, Astarathian anytime soon (and probably never) doesn't make that dragon any less canon than something else. It just leaves the dragon's destiny firmly in the hands of the GM.

There's actually VERY LITTLE that we've excised from canon overall, and the bulk of what we have excised in this manner is either stuff that was just a fundamental error and/or typo and shouldn't have seen print int he first place, or was a poorly thought-out easter egg that stepped too close to copyrighted material. In either case, I'm not gonna mention details because that only perpetuates the information, and I'd rather see those errors fade away and be forgotten.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

The Glorious Reclamation is the group of upstart Iomedae worshiping crusaders that the PC villains are facing off against in Hell's Vengeance. Their actions help to, in a roundaobut way, trigger Hell's Rebels, but the group itself has no role or presence IN Hell's Rebels; the PCs in Hell's Rebels are very much not the Glorious Reclamation, since Kintargo's rebels skew toward chaotic good first of all, and because we didn't want to hard-code that amount of crossover into the Adventure Paths.

There'll be a little bit of info about the Glorious Reclamation soon in Hell's Rebels, but not more than a few sentences. They're going to be covered more fully next year during "Hell's Vengeance," but more as an antagonist group against PCs and not so much as a group FOR players to join.

Hell's Rebels player's guide should be out late next month; it's one of the larger player's guides we've done, so you should at the very least wait for that to come out before spending too much time preparing player handouts for Hell's Rebels. In any event, Glorious Reclamation themed handouts will either go to waste in Hell's Rebels or will require you to make some EXTENSIVE revisions to the nature of the Adventure Path AND wait 6 more months to start getting actual info about the group.

The rebels in Hell's Rebels are the Silver Ravens, ALSO a new group, but one who will have much more info to check out for PCs very shortly.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Paladin of Baha-who? wrote:
I thought I read somewhere that there are mortals (like humans and other such creatures) on the outer plains as well, usually with the fiendish, celestial, resolute, or anarchic template applied, who live and die and so forth on those plains directly.

There are in some places. Not everywhere.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Samy wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
The majority of the low CR things you see, like quasits and lemures and imps and petitioners and the like, are either the "commonfolk" of the outer planes or are familiars. There ARE lower CR things like schir demons and so on, but the basic core assumption is, yes, the outer planes are inherently high level.
So, demographically speaking, how common would the high level devils or demons be? If you walk around a city in a fiend plane, will you 99% see lemures and manes and imps and quasits? If they're the "commonfolk", do they form the bulk of the population? And things like babaus and erinyes are "nobility", "celebrities" and generally rare to see?

The "commonfolk" are actually the petitioners, not imps or quasits who are mostly familiars (or ex-familiars) to spellcasters.

And the outer planes are crazy enough that you can't say any one thing is the norm. It varies at the speed of plot.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Tels wrote:
Would you say that fiends hate their celestial opposites more than they do their celestial opposition? As in, Devils (LE) hate Azatas (CG) more than they do Archons (LG) because Azata are opposed to Devils on both the Chaotic and Good front?

I probalby would say something like that.

1 to 50 of 47,709 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

©2002–2015 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.