Vanara White Haired Witch - Prehensility

Rules Questions

Shadow Lodge

Ok so we're playing an oriental game soon and I wanted to use the White haired witch in a more...unique way.

So my idea is a Vanara Kabuki dancer (Simian Monster Race from Bestiary 3)
So he has the following ability from the White Haired Witch

White Hair (Su): At 1st level, a white-haired witch gains
the ability to use her hair as a weapon. This functions as
a primary natural attack with a reach of 5 feet. The hair
deals 1d4 points of damage (1d3 for a Small witch) plus the
witch’s Intelligence modifier. In addition, whenever the
hair strikes a foe, the witch can attempt to grapple that foe
with her hair as a free action without provoking an attack
of opportunity, using her Intelligence modifier in place of
her Strength modifier when making the combat maneuver
check. When a white-haired witch grapples a foe in this
way, she does not gain the grappled condition....

(More in Dragon Empires Primer)

There is not state on whether or not the hair control from this is prehensile or not. There is a 3rd party hex and a paizo spell, which grants the Witch "prehensile hair" allowing it to grapple and function as a secondary limb and I was wondering if this was needed or if it is assumed that you automatically have it?

-----------

My next question is about the Vanara, now they have the following ability

Prehensile Tail (Ex) All vanaras have long, flexible tails that they
can use to carry objects. They cannot wield weapons with
their tails, but the tails do allow them to retrieve small stowed
objects carried on their persons as a swift action.

I read this as cannot "wield weapons" but can hold them right? How does this work if I say had a shield carried by my tail? I'd find it very hard to hold a shield without allowing it to provide some form of AC benefit?

-----

Thanks guys looking forward to the feedback

Shadow Lodge

Bump - Technical difficulties

same as if you were holding a shield without wielding it. no bonus.

Yeah can't wield a shield. But I would rule you could use a Wand

Shadow Lodge

What about the whole prehensile hair thing?

Shadow Lodge

And a shield isn't a weapon...that got brought up

Every time I see this thread's title I can't help but read it as "Vanna White, Haired Witch"... Which brings a pleasurable mental image...

Shadow Lodge

Lol poor Vanna, that would have been funny as a puzzle on Wheel of Fortune.

Dark Archive

If it doesn't say that the hair is prehensile then it's not prehensile.
The fact that it's a primary natural attack is more then enough to make this better then the witch hex and that specifically states it is prehensile.

As for the shield those need to be wielded not just held, there's a faq entry on the difference between held items and wielded ones where they go over why it specifically needs to be wielded to grant you any AC bonus.

Shadow Lodge

So here is the end result

1. White Hair, grants a natural attack the benefits of having it act as a primary natural attack, (Full Base Attack Bonus, +Full STR to dmg) instead of a secondary attack (-5 to Base Attack Bonus, +1/2 STR to dmg)
That has no time-limit seems to warrant that there is no prehensile function to it and would act akin to a slam attack.

James Jacob said wrote:
The white hair ability only gives you attacks. And it should be noted... these attacks should be SWIFT actions, not free actions; that's an error in the text. (The main difference being you can only make one swift action in any round.) As you gain levels, you can add additional effects of your choice (constrict, trip, pull, or strangle) but only one per round.

Based on this I would say *Feel free to correct, anything within the confines of the actions available with the natural attack, say grappling an object like a chair or table and pulling over to you would be within reason, but only once you have unlocked the ability to pull with your hair. You would not be able to use it as a prehensile limb, pick and choose fine or diminutive items, wield weapons or act as an independent limb.

2. Prehensile Tail, A shield needs to be wielded and not held. The Prehensile tail allows you to hold objects in it as a limb, the tail can also perform finer tasks on its own. But anything that gains function from wielding it such as shields/weapons/magic items will won't be useable.

James Jacob said wrote:
You still need to wield your shield in your hand.

Thank you all and Mr Jacobs for helping solve my conundrum.

Also, white-haired witches don't have the hex class feature at all, so there's no way they can even get the prehensile hair hex.

Grand Lodge

By the way, a shield is very much a weapon. It is listed in the weapons section, it can be enchanted as one. It is very much so.

Actually, I am crafting this character now.
It will be WHW 2/ Magus [Hexcrafter] x.....yeah hexes with Prehensile hair!

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Rules Questions / Vanara White Haired Witch - Prehensility All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.