Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Shackled City (Pathfinder) - GM_Chris

Game Master Chris Shannon 719

This will be the Shackled City adventure path using the Pathfinder rule set. However, the existing deities (i.e. St. Cuthbert, Pelor, Wee Jas) will not be converted to similar Golarion gods.


8,201 to 8,250 of 13,553 << first < prev | 160 | 161 | 162 | 163 | 164 | 165 | 166 | 167 | 168 | 169 | 170 | next > last >>

Doctor Abner Svengalu Toffitt wrote:
He is anxious to trade stories with Carts, if his stargazing friend is to be found.

"I'm sorry, but the tax collector came by with a pack of the half-orcs. I didn't have the gold to pay the taxes, so they took your supplies. Some flasks and oils and other supplies."

---

The next day Toffitt will find similar stories around Cauldron. The tax collectors have been busy, collecting from the rich and the poor. It's a busy day of caring for those who have neglected their health in order to just get by.


Atol Lem wrote:
Atol stops at the Cauldron Five's home just long enough to stable his horse and unload his pack. He brushes the road dust off his new robes and heads straight to the Church of St. Cuthbert for prayer and to visit his brother (whom he fills in with ALL the details if he lets him).

Atol finds his brother at the church. He appears truly glad to see Atol return. He prepares a salad with fresh greens from the garden and warm bread from the oven before asking Atol to sit down and share his stories.

Jenya has helped me accept what has come to pass. I would be a fool to lose my gardner and brother at the same time."

Atol's brother has little news of Cauldron though. He has kept busy in the church and rarely ventures out.


Half-Elf Barbarian (Urban Barbarian) 1, Alchemist (Internal Alchemist, Vivisectionist) 14
Stats:
Init +12 | Per 22* | F +17* R +19* W +9* | AC 35* (t20* f27* i22*) +1 crwd | CMD 33 | *many buffs

Toffitt drops by the group's house after making his rounds. His face wears a grim cast.

"We must speak to our occasional patrons about these new mercenaries and the taxes they are collecting from the people. Where is the money going? How are the taxes being apportioned? People are struggling to survive and keep their businesses going. I mean to calling the council to task. Are you with me?"


Male Human (Per +6 | Fort +16 Ref +11 Will +21 | AC 29 (f28/t15) | CMD 20)

"I don't understand your upset Doctor. Taxes are taxes. They have to be paid, and the nobles decide where it's spent if anywhere. That's life. Can't change life."

"If the people are suffering, mayhaps we can pay some of their taxes for them, or put more money in the things we think are important like your healthy place. I'd be glad to work there today now that I've seen to my own health."


|| Per +18 | Fort +13 Ref +8 Will +13 | BAB +12 | CMB +17 | CMD 29 || Init +7 Half-Orc (Smoking Eye) Oracle of Battle/Barbarian (Armored Hulk)/Rage Prophet/Chevalier 4/3/5/3

Finneas scowls at the changes in town before heading to the temple. He will work out for most of a day, recounting his fight with the head frog and dragon in order to determine what he did wrong in both fights. He will also attempt to figure out how to shield himself while using his greatsword.

After his workout he will clean up and drag the dragon armor to the smith to see about combining it with the red to make a fine suit of full plate.

"Tell me of these newcomers. Have their taxes affected you as well?"

After this Finneas will meet back at the C5Lair to discuss recent events.

"Maybe I could talk to these half-orcs and find where they come from?"


Half-Elf Barbarian (Urban Barbarian) 1, Alchemist (Internal Alchemist, Vivisectionist) 14
Stats:
Init +12 | Per 22* | F +17* R +19* W +9* | AC 35* (t20* f27* i22*) +1 crwd | CMD 33 | *many buffs

"You would accept any dictate of the nobility, Atol? Even those that do harm to the people for whom the gods have charged them to care? I fear that extortionists have taken over our governance, and wish to verify that suspicion."

"That sounds like a great plan, Finneas! Well said."


Stats:
F14:R16:W16 (+2);K(Arc)23;K(Dun)12;K(Hist)16;K(Loc)22;K(Nat)22;K(Pln)27;K(Rel)22;Perc 25;SMot 20;Spllcft 26;UMD 18
Cuthbertist 15 - Bludgeoner First Class

Dyrant looks up from his stew, trying to get more details.

"Hero tax? What does that even mean? Are we paying the Stormjerks more to protect us now? To who is this tax being paid? Is it new?"

Dyrant stuffs more stew into his craw, ordering another bowl while he tries to sort out the details.

This is going to take longer than one bowl of stew...

* * *

Dyrant, when given the chance, will examine and evaluate the jewelry and related goods from the horde.

1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17 Appraise Bracers Electrum? That still exists?
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (12) + 8 = 20 Appraise Flatware
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 22 Appraise Rubies
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17 Appraise Emeralds
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25 Appraise Diamond

Yes, sell the scroll of Wall of Fire. I thought I had it.


Dyrant is happy to find (or at least believe) that most of the treasure is valuable. Unfortunately, the "diamond" turns out to just be very well cut zirconium.

Finely wrought electrum bracers - 500 gp for set
Four sets of silver flatware - 50 gp each
Three rubies - 300 gp each
Two emeralds - 200 gp each
One diamond - 10 gp (appears to be worth 2,000 gp to the untrained eye)


Dyrant Maynor, the Pre-Sainted wrote:

"Hero tax? What does that even mean? Are we paying the Stormjerks more to protect us now? To who is this tax being paid? Is it new?"

A man in a clean jerkin and pants who appears to be a store owner or other businessman answers Dryant.

"The tax collectors collect the taxes for the city. All our gold is ending up in the city coffers, but who knows what the mayor is doing with them. He's definitely not using them to fix the streets from that monster that knocked down Maavu's warehosue or repair the damage from the flooding. Even my noble customers are whining about the taxes. They might lose more, but they got more to lose. Some of it must be going towards paying for those half-orc patrols, but I don't know what they're protecting us from. You and your friends already killed the goblins and cleared out Jzardirune--that's a nice tour by the way."


Finneas Glenn wrote:

After his workout he will clean up and drag the dragon armor to the smith to see about combining it with the red to make a fine suit of full plate.

"Tell me of these newcomers. Have their taxes affected you as well?"

The smith adds the black dragon armor to the red dragon armor.

"Black and red. I like it. They will go well together. Just try not to bring me a pink dragon next."

--

"Yes, the tax collectors have been by here, too. Fortunately, you haven't paid me for this yet so I did not have as much to give them. Hopefully they'll collecting less before you kill a couple more dragons."


M Steinneblin (Rock Gnome) Paladin 13/Cavalier 1

On their first evening back into town, Glimmil returns home to check on the Cobwaddles and see how hit the shoemakers are by these half-orcs collecting tax from everyone.

Later the next day, he joins his companions to discuss the state of affairs.

"I don't know a lot about tax -- just the Cobwaddles sometimes use tax to attach a sole to a shoe, but generally we like glue a lot more than tax."

Glimmil considers the matter further.

"Maybe the mayor has some special project where he needs the tax? Maybe it's a big shiny monument to the Cauldron Five-Two? If so, we should make sure he gets our images right!"


Male Human (Per +6 | Fort +16 Ref +11 Will +21 | AC 29 (f28/t15) | CMD 20)
Doctor Abner Svengalu Toffitt wrote:
"You would accept any dictate of the nobility, Atol? Even those that do harm to the people for whom the gods have charged them to care? I fear that extortionists have taken over our governance, and wish to verify that suspicion."

"I see no evidence of harm - just folks complaining about the tax man. I do not immediately assume something evil from such an action, but I guess I just trust folks more than you do. Glimmil is right, there may be some special project in mind."

"Still, I suppose it's worth looking into. But please don't jump on your tall horse and attack everyone in sight. Let them explain what they're doing and maybe we can help!"


Half-Elf Barbarian (Urban Barbarian) 1, Alchemist (Internal Alchemist, Vivisectionist) 14
Stats:
Init +12 | Per 22* | F +17* R +19* W +9* | AC 35* (t20* f27* i22*) +1 crwd | CMD 33 | *many buffs

Toffitt nods. "You can count on me to not ride my horse into our audience with the council. I save that for my friends." He gives a self-deprecating shrug and laugh. "Let us pay them a visit on the morrow, then. For now, Skie's calls."


Stats:
F14:R16:W16 (+2);K(Arc)23;K(Dun)12;K(Hist)16;K(Loc)22;K(Nat)22;K(Pln)27;K(Rel)22;Perc 25;SMot 20;Spllcft 26;UMD 18
Cuthbertist 15 - Bludgeoner First Class

Dyrant eats his stew and listens to the grumblings and mutterings of his people.

"But why is it called 'the heroes tax'? That is something I do not understand."

When he gets his answer or finishes his 2nd bowl of stew, Dyrant will return home and help sell stuff at Skies.


The man stares at Dyrant for a second then looks around at his surroundings and the meal before Dryant.

"They says it is to pay for the heroes to protect the city. I'm guessing you have not received any of these funds."


|| Per +18 | Fort +13 Ref +8 Will +13 | BAB +12 | CMB +17 | CMD 29 || Init +7 Half-Orc (Smoking Eye) Oracle of Battle/Barbarian (Armored Hulk)/Rage Prophet/Chevalier 4/3/5/3

"Well I hope not to meet too many more dragons, these two weren't exactly easy to down I'll tell you. Do you want the money for these hides now? Since you haven't sold anything for me it would be a down payment, of course."

With his business concluded at the smithy (and a possible run to Skies to get some of his cash) Finneas begins asking after the half-orcs. Where they're from, who they work for, and where they stay when they're off duty (bar, camp, what have you).

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6


Finneas tries talking with a group of half-orcs as they patrol. They wear no holy symbols or other group markings aside from the city's crest on their tabbards. They are quite open about being mercenaries from various places. Most were recruited in Sasserine beginning several months ago. They camped outside the city until they were called in a couple weeks ago--just after the Cauldron Five left to kill the dragon.


Finneas Glenn wrote:

With his business concluded at the smithy (and a possible run to Skies to get some of his cash) Finneas begins asking after the half-orcs. Where they're from, who they work for, and where they stay when they're off duty (bar, camp, what have you).

[dice=Diplomacy]1d20+2

With that fine diplomacy you don't get much more. They work for the guard and are stationed in the barracks.


Where (or who) is the party off to?


Male Human (Per +6 | Fort +16 Ref +11 Will +21 | AC 29 (f28/t15) | CMD 20)

Atol rises early and prays extra long today. He knows his path - adventure!

After a hearty breakfast he looks for the other party members. The city seems somehow less inviting now that he's an adventurer at heart. He misses the adrenaline...

He goes to Dyrants favorite watering hole, and Skie's looking for the party. If he's unsuccessful, he'll go back home and garden for a while - careful not to soil his new cassock!


Half-Elf Barbarian (Urban Barbarian) 1, Alchemist (Internal Alchemist, Vivisectionist) 14
Stats:
Init +12 | Per 22* | F +17* R +19* W +9* | AC 35* (t20* f27* i22*) +1 crwd | CMD 33 | *many buffs

"Let us lunch at the Cusp of Sunrise. Surely there will be members of the council there. If not, perhaps an audience with Lord Mayor Navalant." Toffitt takes his courtier's outfit from his haversack and begins working out the wrinkles.


Stats:
F14:R16:W16 (+2);K(Arc)23;K(Dun)12;K(Hist)16;K(Loc)22;K(Nat)22;K(Pln)27;K(Rel)22;Perc 25;SMot 20;Spllcft 26;UMD 18
Cuthbertist 15 - Bludgeoner First Class

Dyrant finishes his stew and thanks everyone for their time and words.

"...again, tell the chef this is some great stew...and some meats therein that I can't even begin to identify. He's wonderful. Now, just to be clear, I haven't seen a coin of this 'hero's tax' and have had no part in it at all. We Cauldron 5 have been in the UnderBelow battling things that I can barely explain. If I had my guess, I would suggest that the follyful Stormblades are behind all this, but not sure how they relate to the half-orcs. Well, may the Cudgel watch you all."

* * *

After aiding and abetting in the sale of the treasure, Dyrant will return to wash up at the home. He will dress in his nice Cuthbertine robes and try to pay visit to Lady Celeste, and after that, will visit the Cusp of Sunrise for more discussion and research.


M Steinneblin (Rock Gnome) Paladin 13/Cavalier 1

Glimmil sleeps in late, his dreams fanciful and full of heroic dragonslaying. In these, Cog somehow sprouts wings and Glimmil is flying around after numerous dragons breathing fire and lightning in the sky.

He grabs a couple of Grandma Cobwaddle's breakfast muffins and heads out to meet the others at the Cusp of Sunrise.


The party heads to the Cusp of Sunrise and finds it a bit empty. The previous promise of membership appears to have been honored as the party is let right in. Neither the Lord Mayor nor the Lady Celeste are present.

Some time spent talking to those that are present reveals the following. Feel free to dig deeper or ask more pointed questions.

"Maavu has returned. Some say he was keeping the umber hulk as a pet and threatening to feed people to it, but the guard's investigation has revealed nothing to substantiate the allegations."

"Lady Celeste has not returned from whatever took her from the city. Her glowing presence is greatly missed. The place is not as beautiful without her."

"A couple weeks ago, a gnome peddler named Flismatt met Alek Tercival at the Lucky Monkey. The paladin was helping the carpenters to repair the building, and helping them indeed. He could split logs with his bare hands and carry an elephant's load on his back!"

"Alek Tercival met with the Stormblades while they were playing "snatch the gem" at the Drunken Morkoth Inn. The paladin did not join in the immoral game, but amazed everyone by pulverizing a bone die in his bare hand."

"The mayor raised the taxes to buy a powerful artifact that will permanently protect Cauldron from future floods."

"Lord Vhalantru was recently tasked with protecting Cauldron from future disasters."

"Terseon Skellerang is preparing a special task force to raid Redgorge. He thinks that a dangerous group of conspirators have their base there."


Half-Elf Barbarian (Urban Barbarian) 1, Alchemist (Internal Alchemist, Vivisectionist) 14
Stats:
Init +12 | Per 22* | F +17* R +19* W +9* | AC 35* (t20* f27* i22*) +1 crwd | CMD 33 | *many buffs

Toffitt attempts to get a sense of how merchants are responding to the tax. What's their impression of how the taxes are affecting the city's smallfolk? Has there been any official proclamation about the purpose of the taxes? Thus far his impression is that there is no publicly stated reason—only rumors.

Diplomacy 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (16) + 12 = 28


Stats:
F14:R16:W16 (+2);K(Arc)23;K(Dun)12;K(Hist)16;K(Loc)22;K(Nat)22;K(Pln)27;K(Rel)22;Perc 25;SMot 20;Spllcft 26;UMD 18
Cuthbertist 15 - Bludgeoner First Class

Dyrant looks up from the bowl of fancy stew that he has ordered from the Cusp.

"Where is the Lord Manor and Lady Celeste? Are they in town? I would speak with them. They should be made aware of things that happened..." ...and should share what has happened since we left.

Dyrant slurps another pull of stew.

"Does anyone know the name or powers of this artifact? Surely, it must have a history that can be researched."

Dyrant sticks his head up, looking for Lord Vhalantru in the cusp.

"Where can Lord Vhalantru be found? Or where is the camp of the half orcs, surely someone there might have some answers. I'm just not sure what Cauldron is being protected from. Where are the Stormblades? I thought their might would be sufficient enough."

Dyrant slurps loudly of a delicious tender piece of meat.

Redgorge? What in Atol's netherregions is Redgorge?

1d20 + 11 ⇒ (5) + 11 = 16 Know (History)
1d20 + 12 ⇒ (13) + 12 = 25 Know (Local)
1d20 + 15 ⇒ (19) + 15 = 34 Know (Nature)
1d20 + 18 ⇒ (7) + 18 = 25 Know (Planes)
1d20 + 15 ⇒ (16) + 15 = 31 Know (Religion)


|| Per +18 | Fort +13 Ref +8 Will +13 | BAB +12 | CMB +17 | CMD 29 || Init +7 Half-Orc (Smoking Eye) Oracle of Battle/Barbarian (Armored Hulk)/Rage Prophet/Chevalier 4/3/5/3

In addition to the Cusp and gathering information with the group, Finneas will attempt to gain a meeting with Asfelkir Hranleurt to see how much it would cost to have his sword made into a holy weapon of Kord.


Doctor Abner Svengalu Toffitt wrote:
Toffitt attempts to get a sense of how merchants are responding to the tax. What's their impression of how the taxes are affecting the city's smallfolk? Has there been any official proclamation about the purpose of the taxes? Thus far his impression is that there is no publicly stated reason—only rumors.

Merchants are not reacting well to the tax and attempts at tax evasion are obvious (less receipts, more bartering, price changes). Not to be deterred though, the tax collectors are thoroughly investigating businesses (sometimes in the dead of night) and collecting the appropriate taxes.

The stated reasons for the taxes are simply the protection and rebuilding of Cauldron. The half-orcs have obviously been hired as part of the protection.


Dyrant Maynor, the Pre-Sainted wrote:

Dyrant looks up from the bowl of fancy stew that he has ordered from the Cusp.

"Where is the Lord Manor and Lady Celeste? Are they in town? I would speak with them. They should be made aware of things that happened..." ...and should share what has happened since we left.

Dyrant slurps another pull of stew.

"Does anyone know the name or powers of this artifact? Surely, it must have a history that can be researched."

Dyrant sticks his head up, looking for Lord Vhalantru in the cusp.

"Where can Lord Vhalantru be found? Or where is the camp of the half orcs, surely someone there might have some answers. I'm just not sure what Cauldron is being protected from. Where are the Stormblades? I thought their might would be sufficient enough."

Dyrant slurps loudly of a delicious tender piece of meat.

Redgorge? What in Atol's netherregions is Redgorge?

The Lord Mayor and Lord Vhalantru each have estates in the city. Lady Celeste has not been heard from since the party saw her several weeks ago.

No one knows anything about the artifact. Nothing about it's name, powers, or origins.

The half-orcs are in the guard barracks.

The Stormblades can be found at the homes of the invidvidual members. They don't have a clubhouse.

From the campaign info page. Common local knowledge.
Redgorge: This village was the first human settlement in the area. Founded about 700 years ago, Redgorge was at one time a much larger settlement, but it never fully recovered from a demonic assault long ago. Redgorge sits in a narrow strip of flat ground between a cliff and an immense quarry of red pebble gravel. West of the village, a prodigious line of fortifications known as the Basalt Bastions protect the land, their massive walls unguarded and draped with vines. These fortifications, as impressive as Cauldron’s outer walls, tower over the village itself. They were built ages ago by Surabar Spellmason’s powerful spells in a single week, to aid in the defense of Redgorge against the denizens of the Demonskar. Today, Redgorge is afarming and mining village. The old Stonemasons District, where Surabar Spellmason once dwelt, is visibly depopulated and most its buildings lie empty and in ruin.


Finneas Glenn wrote:
In addition to the Cusp and gathering information with the group, Finneas will attempt to gain a meeting with Asfelkir Hranleurt to see how much it would cost to have his sword made into a holy weapon of Kord.

6,000 gp difference between +1 and Holy, so six days.

"That would be a great expression of your devotion to the fatih, son. You would need to leave your sword at the temple for a week. Many prayers and rituals will need to be performed. The offerings for these rituals can be quite expensive and you will need to be part of them each morning. If you miss a morning, the process will need to begin anew. Are you prepared to show your devotion in this way?"


|| Per +18 | Fort +13 Ref +8 Will +13 | BAB +12 | CMB +17 | CMD 29 || Init +7 Half-Orc (Smoking Eye) Oracle of Battle/Barbarian (Armored Hulk)/Rage Prophet/Chevalier 4/3/5/3

Isn't it a 16,000 difference? Holy is a +2 bonus. I was more getting a feel for it and making sure he could do it, didn't expect to be able to as I'm still 5k short.

"I am father, I have faced great evil and I feel there is something greater still facing Cauldron and it's protectors."


Male Human (Per +6 | Fort +16 Ref +11 Will +21 | AC 29 (f28/t15) | CMD 20)
Dyrant Maynor, the Pre-Sainted wrote:
"Where is the Lord Manor and Lady Celeste? Are they in town? I would speak with them. They should be made aware of things that happened..." ...and should share what has happened since we left.

"I agree. We should find out about this relic from the Mayor so that we can see where best we can help getting it."

Atol also goes to the church of St. Cuthbert and requests an audience with High Priestess Urikas.

"I don't know if this is something I need to get from the church, or if I should order it from town, but I thought I should check here first. I would like to get a Phylactery of Positive Channeling to replace my current phylactery." He rubs the PRIEST letters in his current phylactery one more time as he discusses it with Jenya.

"It seems that my charges get wounded faster than I can heal them, and our most recent battles involved creatures that could do so much in one hit! It's hard to believe. I have been saving for this for some time, and now I'm ready."


Stats:
F14:R16:W16 (+2);K(Arc)23;K(Dun)12;K(Hist)16;K(Loc)22;K(Nat)22;K(Pln)27;K(Rel)22;Perc 25;SMot 20;Spllcft 26;UMD 18
Cuthbertist 15 - Bludgeoner First Class

After the initial fooding and discussion in the Cusp, Dyrant will stay after to read and research in the establishment's ample library. This does not please Dyrant as he is anxious to return to his ministering.

A bit more research...

Dyrant will read and think and ponder, trying to learn from the events in the UnderBelow, committing knowledge to memory and changing actions to experience.

And what of Finn's dilemma? How can we serve him? To keep the sword in his hand when he is wont to place it on the ground?

Dyrant buries his head in tome after tome, looking for what has worked for the others in the past.

* * *
Dyrant leaves the Cusp late, happy and content for his research. Striding confidently home, he seeks Atol to posit if his solution to Finn would work.

"Atol?! Atol!? I have a question! A solution even! By inspiration given by St. Cuthbert, I'm sure of it."

* * *

'Tomorrow', Dyrant intends to visit the Mayor, The Lord, and the barracks to find out more. Even going to Lady C's manor. All are welcome to come with.


Half-Elf Barbarian (Urban Barbarian) 1, Alchemist (Internal Alchemist, Vivisectionist) 14
Stats:
Init +12 | Per 22* | F +17* R +19* W +9* | AC 35* (t20* f27* i22*) +1 crwd | CMD 33 | *many buffs

Toffitt makes nice with the Cusp's clients, planting seeds for patronage and patients.

Later, he concurs with Dyrant. "Indeed, an audience with the mayor."


Male Human (Per +6 | Fort +16 Ref +11 Will +21 | AC 29 (f28/t15) | CMD 20)
Dyrant Maynor, the Pre-Sainted wrote:

Dyrant leaves the Cusp late, happy and content for his research. Striding confidently home, he seeks Atol to posit if his solution to Finn would work.

"Atol?! Atol!? I have a question! A solution even! By inspiration given by St. Cuthbert, I'm sure of it."

Late that day Atol tries his hand at making supper. He gathers materials from the garden and a few purchases made earlier in town and tries to re-create the gristle stew that Dyrant seems to like so much.

Unfortunately, he buys meat of too high quality (in other words, not horse) and the stew isn't nearly gristly enough. Atol, of course, happily eats it anyway with an ample chunk of bread to sop up the juices.

"Yes Dyrant? What has your vision taught you!" Atol gets excited at the thought of a missive from St. Cuthbert - without even knowing to what it pertains.


Stats:
F14:R16:W16 (+2);K(Arc)23;K(Dun)12;K(Hist)16;K(Loc)22;K(Nat)22;K(Pln)27;K(Rel)22;Perc 25;SMot 20;Spllcft 26;UMD 18
Cuthbertist 15 - Bludgeoner First Class

Dyrant helps himself to some of Atol's gristle stew, taking time to scrap the bottom of the kettle for any burnt and/or crunchy bit that may stick to the bottom.

"So now, Atol. Sometimes...sometimes the power of St. Cuthbert can be used to conjoin two warriors together on the battlefield. Using a pair of special sanctified rings and a certain prayer, you and Finn could share his wounds together on the field of battle," Dyrant says he rips off a hunk of bread and sits at the table.

"Of course, there is some risk, but you have grown strong (when you are hugging wraiths, of course) and should be able to withstand the battle wounds that Finn seems to attract like odors," Dyrant explains as he begins to scoop stew into his mouth.

"If you wished, Atol, we should find time tomorrow to find or have crafted rings of suitable materials for such protections."


Male Human (Per +6 | Fort +16 Ref +11 Will +21 | AC 29 (f28/t15) | CMD 20)

"That sounds very fine indeed! I am willing to take the risk if it means Finneas survives the fight. We cannot have him killed in every major battle! It does not do..."

Atol ponders for a moment.

"Yes, I'll do it. The risk is slight with my new purchase!"

Atol has a pair of platinum rings forged for himself and Finneas worth 50gp. He'll have another pair forged as a spare. (-100gp)

He also tithes 200gp to the church (-200gp) (forgot to mention that earlier)


Finneas Glenn wrote:

Isn't it a 16,000 difference? Holy is a +2 bonus. I was more getting a feel for it and making sure he could do it, didn't expect to be able to as I'm still 5k short.

"I am father, I have faced great evil and I feel there is something greater still facing Cauldron and it's protectors."

Ooops. Yes. 16,000. 16 days. He'd loan you a masterwork greatsword in the meantime, but you are lacking in funds at this time. Hmmm. I'll probably change the mechanics a bit when you have the funds.


1d100 ⇒ 7
2d6 ⇒ (4, 6) = 10

Jenya checks the church storage, but is unable to find Atol.

"You are wise to seek such an item, but unfortunately it is not among our relics. I will seek assistance from our fellow churches. Surely there must be one to had in the region."


Lady Celeste was only visiting Cauldron. She has no residence here. Polite inquiry will reveal she was actually staying at the Cusp. She paid in advance for several months and is expected back at some point.

The next day you try for meetings with the mayor and Lord Vhalantru, but are turned away by servants at the door. They are each much too busy to see you. Captain Skelleranf will speak with you at the barracks though.

Again, these are the general attitudes you encounter. Feel free to poke and prod I'd you'd like.


Half-Elf Barbarian (Urban Barbarian) 1, Alchemist (Internal Alchemist, Vivisectionist) 14
Stats:
Init +12 | Per 22* | F +17* R +19* W +9* | AC 35* (t20* f27* i22*) +1 crwd | CMD 33 | *many buffs

Dr. Toffitt pushes back on the servants a bit. "Good citizen, we have come with tidings of other threats to Cauldron vanquished, and our own offer of aid in dealing with the city's pressing concerns. Our city is in difficult straights. I suspect the Lord Mayor would wish to hear our news. Forthwith."

Diplomacy 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (4) + 12 = 16

Alas, his attempt at formality no doubt comes across as self-importance. Not that Dr. Toffitt could ever accurately be described as self-important...


Stats:
F14:R16:W16 (+2);K(Arc)23;K(Dun)12;K(Hist)16;K(Loc)22;K(Nat)22;K(Pln)27;K(Rel)22;Perc 25;SMot 20;Spllcft 26;UMD 18
Cuthbertist 15 - Bludgeoner First Class

"Tis odd that the Mayor and Lord Vhalantru do not wish to speak with us, but perhaps that is a good sign. We may relax and rejuvenate for a while because our work is assuredly done. If they will not see us, then they do not need us," Dyrant declares.

"Perhaps it is time to find a way to build my ministry...maybe even begin to train acolytes to carry the word of St. Cuthbert forward. Our times for dreams are changing, are they not?"

Dyrant ponders further, reconsidering and hedging.

"However, I think at least speaking with Captain Skelleranf would be prudent. Maybe Glim/Finn and I will go speak with him. Atol, what did the Mother tell you about things since we left? Assuredly, you remembered to ask her directly?"

Dyrant will seek an audience with Captain Skelleranf, trying to find out what the city fears so much that they would hire dirty, stinking half-orcs to protect them.


Half-Elf Barbarian (Urban Barbarian) 1, Alchemist (Internal Alchemist, Vivisectionist) 14
Stats:
Init +12 | Per 22* | F +17* R +19* W +9* | AC 35* (t20* f27* i22*) +1 crwd | CMD 33 | *many buffs

After attempting to make an appointment with the mayor, Toffitt also goes to see the captain. Let us see if they are trying to avoid their subjects, or truly busy.


Male Human (Per +6 | Fort +16 Ref +11 Will +21 | AC 29 (f28/t15) | CMD 20)
Dyrant Maynor, the Pre-Sainted wrote:
"Perhaps it is time to find a way to build my ministry...maybe even begin to train acolytes to carry the word of St. Cuthbert forward. Our times for dreams are changing, are they not?"

Ah yes. What should I do in the time between outings? Scribe scrolls of course - and I do have a few to prepare. But what else? Should there be a team assembled?

No, I think not. We have our contacts for the things we need - and the city knows how to reach us in times of trouble. Or do they?

Atol ponders methods of reaching the party when they are out and about. Maybe I should scribe a scroll of Sending and give it to the High Priestess.

Dyrant Maynore, the Pre-Sainted wrote:
"However, I think at least speaking with Captain Skelleranf would be prudent. Maybe Glim/Finn and I will go speak with him. Atol, what did the Mother tell you about things since we left? Assuredly, you remembered to ask her directly?"

"Uh, oh. Er. Well, I will be visiting her again soon."


|| Per +18 | Fort +13 Ref +8 Will +13 | BAB +12 | CMB +17 | CMD 29 || Init +7 Half-Orc (Smoking Eye) Oracle of Battle/Barbarian (Armored Hulk)/Rage Prophet/Chevalier 4/3/5/3

"Sure, we can talk to the Captain. I was talking to my church about making my sword a holy instrument of Kord, but I don't have the money to donate for the proper components so I don't have anything else to do for a while."

Finneas follows Dyrant to the barracks, still trying to decide how to strap a shield to his arm.

Dyrant never gets hit, maybe I could tie him to my armor? No, that would never work.


M Steinneblin (Rock Gnome) Paladin 13/Cavalier 1

"So Cauldron's totally safe now, huh?"

Glimmil ponders the circumstances for a while - the powerful artifact to protect from flooding, the half-orc guards, the lack of interest on the mayor's part to receive an audience with the Cauldron Five-Two.

Is our work truly done? What if an even bigger do-badder is lurking just behind the scenes and will emerge at any moment? We must be ready!

Not even realizing he's speaking aloud, Glimmil murmurs, "It's time to execute Glimmil Plan Number Nine."


Stats:
F14:R16:W16 (+2);K(Arc)23;K(Dun)12;K(Hist)16;K(Loc)22;K(Nat)22;K(Pln)27;K(Rel)22;Perc 25;SMot 20;Spllcft 26;UMD 18
Cuthbertist 15 - Bludgeoner First Class

Dyrant will ask Captain Skelleranf about the mercenaries, the artifact, and dangers to Cauldron.

"...and would a trip to RedGorge be prudent?"


Doctor Abner Svengalu Toffitt wrote:

Dr. Toffitt pushes back on the servants a bit. "Good citizen, we have come with tidings of other threats to Cauldron vanquished, and our own offer of aid in dealing with the city's pressing concerns. Our city is in difficult straights. I suspect the Lord Mayor would wish to hear our news. Forthwith."

The servant politely, but steadfastly refuses to allow you to enter.

"I'm sorry, but he is quite busy. He thanks you for your endeavors and surely he will call upon you again when the need arises. Perhaps you could summarize your most recent foray into a letter and I will do my best to see that he reads it when he has the time."


The party pays a visit to the barracks and a meeting with Captain Skellerang. The human guards at the gate greet you warmly and take you directly to the captain's office.

"Good morning! It is always a pleasure to see you. Things are always quite hectic around here, but you can visit anytime. What can I do for you?"

---

"The half-orcs were brought in by the mayor. Just in time it seems, too. Your group has been helpful, but this city is large enough that you can't be everywhere at once, especially when you're gone for a couple weeks at a time."

"I heard about the artifact, too, but don't know anything about it. Magic isn't really my area of expertise. If it'll keep the town from flooding then I hope they can obtain it."

"Redgorge? Why would you go there?"


Stats:
F14:R16:W16 (+2);K(Arc)23;K(Dun)12;K(Hist)16;K(Loc)22;K(Nat)22;K(Pln)27;K(Rel)22;Perc 25;SMot 20;Spllcft 26;UMD 18
Cuthbertist 15 - Bludgeoner First Class
GM_Chris wrote:
"The half-orcs were brought in by the mayor. Just in time it seems, too."

Dyrant facepalms, wondering what is wrong with the City, his frustrating letting through.

"Just in time? Just in time for what? To what threat are they responding? What are they protecting us from? This city seemed fine a month ago with the guards they had. And what of the Stormblades? Are they not here protecting the City as well? What is the threat?"

I think I'm totally missing something.

GM_Chris wrote:
"Redgorge? Why would you go there?"

"I heard rumor that you felt there was a conspirator's base there...but what they are conspiring for or toward is unclear."

8,201 to 8,250 of 13,553 << first < prev | 160 | 161 | 162 | 163 | 164 | 165 | 166 | 167 | 168 | 169 | 170 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Shackled City (Pathfinder) - GM_Chris All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.