Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Mortika's "Citadel of Flame" (Inactive)

Game Master Chris Mortika

This is a PFS-legal campaign for Scenario #39, "Citadel of Flame".


251 to 300 of 707 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | next > last >>
Lantern Lodge

Female Human Druid (2) Menhir Savant

Hadassah will be patiently waiting next to and behind Maximo.

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Inquisitor/2 - | HP 18/18 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 |SR 7| CMD 14 | Fort +4 | Ref +3 | Will +7 | Init +6 | Perc +9 | Sense Motive +9 // Wand CLW - 44

Gryne will be beside James to support him.

Osirion

Azatoth moves close along with Moulini


Shel's Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8
Moulini's Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8
Maximo's Perception: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2
Azatoth's Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22

Azatoth:
You hear the sound of several boots, stepping all over the room behind the door, a quick command in a language you didn't catch, and then silence.

Maximo, the hinges are on the other side of the door. It does not appear to be locked.

One of the three dim torches in the room finally sputters and goes out. Unless you add light yourself, the room with the idol is dimly lit.

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Inquisitor/2 - | HP 18/18 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 |SR 7| CMD 14 | Fort +4 | Ref +3 | Will +7 | Init +6 | Perc +9 | Sense Motive +9 // Wand CLW - 44

I can create light as a 0 lvl spell, so whenever it is necessary for us I'll do it.

Taldor

Human Paladin of Shelyn 4 / Arcane Duelist Bard 1 / Grenadier Alchemist 2 | AC 20 FF 19 T 13 | HP 54/54 | F +12 R +11 W +11 | Init +1 | Perception +5

Bah. Hot as a demon's backside in here, yet the torches are burning out. Good thing you've got these illuminated pebbles. He winks at Hadassah, brandishes the pebble, opens the door to the next room, and tosses it inside. Completely unaware of any danger that might be waiting in the next room, he steps inside.

Gah! He stops abruptly. This infernal turban is in my eyes again!

Shadow Lodge

Female Human

i stand ready with my rapier in hand...

Osirion

Azatoth pulls out a warning to his comrades "I am sure that I hear the sound over several creatures stepping all over the room, but then I heard a voice and it all became silent, they may be prepared and setting up an ambush for us. So ready yourself for battle"

Taldor

M Human Gunslinger 2 | 18/18 | 17 | T 14 | FF 13 | CMD 17 | F: +3 | R: +7 | W: +2 | Init +4 | Perc +7 Gunslinger 2

speaking over his shoulder to the lead group "Remember Maximo, enemies of the Satrap are friends of ours."


Maximo, you charge into the room through the left of the double-doors. Azatoth's warning comes too late, but it seems unwarranted -- there are no soldiers at the ready. This area is lit by an enormous ball of fire, about five feet high, floating in the center of the room.

Against the east wall sits an ornate brass throne, sculpted to resemble an enormous hand of flame. Wood painted to resemble tendrils of smoke rising from behind the throne merge into a detailed mural of Moloch’s idol on the wall.

As you turn to look north, (Perception: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 1 = 13) you see a man in black and red robes. He gestures to the floating ball of fire and commands it: "now, Brother Fire, show these infidels what it means to violate the sanctity of Moloch's temple!"

The ball of fire moves then, as if it were swinging on a thread, surrounding Maximo. The paladin tries to avoid the fire, Reflex: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 1 = 16, and manages to duck out from the heart of the flames.

To everyone else: Maximo entered the room, and a masculine voice off to the left yelled something about infidels and the sanctity of the temple. Maximo promptly ducked out of the way of a large ball of fire which has settled right in front of you, just inside the room. But the doorway is 10-ft wide, and you should be able to open the other door and enter the room without going through the ball of fire.

With the ball of fire right outside the doorway, the room you're in is no longer considered dimly lit.

Initiative:

Azatoth: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14
Gryne: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 2 = 21
Hadassah: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (14) + 12 = 26
James: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24
Maximo: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 1 = 16
Moulini: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3
Shel: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16
Opponents: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16

Hadassah, James, and Gryne, you can act before the opponents. What are you three doing?

Taldor

M Human Gunslinger 2 | 18/18 | 17 | T 14 | FF 13 | CMD 17 | F: +3 | R: +7 | W: +2 | Init +4 | Perc +7 Gunslinger 2

I open the other door, so the others may enter.

Lantern Lodge

Female Human Druid (2) Menhir Savant

Now that we can see, how far is it to the owner of the male voice?

Hadassah enters the room to a distance of 30 feet from man who ordered fire to attack Maximo, glaring.
Evil Eye (DC 15), -2 AC


Very nice, James.

--

Hadassah, I'll try to post a full map of the room tonight. Here's what I can do now.

The room is 25 ft east-west, and 30 ft north south. Beautiful tapestries line the north, west, and south walls, depicting a grand battle between soldiers of flame and scimitar-weilding dervishes. The double door that you're entering is on the west wall of the room, against the south corner. There is another set of double doors on the west wall, against the north corner.

Again, imagine the room having five columns labelled A - E, and 6 rows labelled 1 - 6. Maximo and the ball of fire are in A5. The brass throne cast in the form of a giant hand of flame occupies D3, D4, E3, and E4. There is a bald man in red and black robes in A2. The door in A1 is open.

Hadassah, you can move in the room to A6. The ball of flame will block your view to the man in robes. (Knowledge(arcana or planes): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (3) + 9 = 12) You aren't sure whether the ball of fire would attack you if you passed next to it.

So you have a choice: stop in A6, right inside the room, next to the flaming ball (and Maximo) without a line of sight to the bald man, or move in (to, say, C6) where you'll be able to use Evil Eye more effectively, but that might generate an Attack of Opportunity.

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Inquisitor/2 - | HP 18/18 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 |SR 7| CMD 14 | Fort +4 | Ref +3 | Will +7 | Init +6 | Perc +9 | Sense Motive +9 // Wand CLW - 44

Would Create Water on the Fireball actually do anything? I have a whopping 4 on Knowledge Arcana and Knowledge Planes.


Knowledge(arcana): 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23
Knowledge(planes): 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 = 17

Gryne, you're confident that create water would have some effect.

Gryne:
The manifestation corresponds to a flaming sphere, particularly the spongy nature of the surface. It's an ongoing spell effect, not a creature. So it doesn't have hit points, per se, but being doused in water would have a chance to disrupt the spell.

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Inquisitor/2 - | HP 18/18 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 |SR 7| CMD 14 | Fort +4 | Ref +3 | Will +7 | Init +6 | Perc +9 | Sense Motive +9 // Wand CLW - 44

Create Water on the Fireball, please.

Lantern Lodge

Female Human Druid (2) Menhir Savant

I will move to c6 then.


Hadassah moves to C6 and glares at the bald man (his Will save: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10) who takes a step back as if struck physically, his armor class reduced for several rounds.

Gryne casts create water on the ball of fire, in an impromptu attempt to dispel it. (Dispel: 1d20 ⇒ 16) ; which seems to work. The ball of fire sputters and blinks out, covering Maximo in a fine cloud of soot.

The man in black and red robes is not pleased. "How your ways betray you! Water, the piss of the heavens. Foul means to foul ends. But Moloch will not be denied. By ash and fire, we will bring the Dungflower and her simpering nation to its knees!"

He draws a steel dagger from his belt and moves to C5, adjacent to Hadassah, but then he catches sight of Moulini and Shel. He casts color spray, catching Maximo, Shel, and Moulini in hits burst.
Maximo Will: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7 -- unconscious for 2d4 ⇒ (3, 1) = 4 rounds
Shel Will: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14 -- almost made it, but unconscious for 2d4 ⇒ (4, 4) = 8 rounds
Moulini Will: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8-- unconscious for 2d4 ⇒ (2, 3) = 5 rounds

Azatoth, you're up. Then James, Gryne, and Hadassah.

Shadow Lodge

Female Human

I fall like a rock to the floor..

Taldor

Human Paladin of Shelyn 4 / Arcane Duelist Bard 1 / Grenadier Alchemist 2 | AC 20 FF 19 T 13 | HP 54/54 | F +12 R +11 W +11 | Init +1 | Perception +5

Maximo rights his turban just in time to get an eyeful of magic. Rats! He cries, then drops like a jingling bag of coins at the tax collector.


We'll assume Azatoth is holding.

James, Gryne, you and Azatoth are in the room with the tabletop idol and three collapsed friends. James is by the doorway, Azatoth and Gryne are ten feet away from the door. Hadassah is in the large room at C6. The dangerous man is next to her in C5.

Taldor

M Human Gunslinger 2 | 18/18 | 17 | T 14 | FF 13 | CMD 17 | F: +3 | R: +7 | W: +2 | Init +4 | Perc +7 Gunslinger 2

James takes the clear shot at the dangerous man."Stand & Deliver."


James, he's 20 feet away from you and you have a clear shot from where you stand.
Attack: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26; Critical Confirmation: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22
Damage: 4d8 ⇒ (8, 3, 8, 6) = 25
With 16 hit points and a CON of 12, the bald man crumples. Would you care to describe the shot?

Taldor

M Human Gunslinger 2 | 18/18 | 17 | T 14 | FF 13 | CMD 17 | F: +3 | R: +7 | W: +2 | Init +4 | Perc +7 Gunslinger 2

A loud bang erupts in the room, almost simultaneously, a pink mist sprays from the upper right quadrant of the bald mans head. Brain, and bone fragments splatter, littering the ground where the spellcaster previously stood. Crimson blood continues to spurt out of the wound, as the once dangerous man crumples into a twitching pile of flesh on the floor.

James takes time to reload his pistol, muttering "Should we attempt to stop the bleeding?"

Lantern Lodge

Female Human Druid (2) Menhir Savant

Sighing, Hadassah kneels over to the man, and checks his condition, trying to staunch the bleeding and stabilize the man. "I may be able to stabilize him, but not much more than that. If I waste all my healing on him, I will not be able to apply it to you as you need it."

Osirion

"Well done James, you have some pure thunder inside that stick!"

Azatoth looks at the man and notices the splattered brain..

"I wouldn't even bother doing that Hadassah considering his brain littering the floor already. What kind of usefulness would he be at this state?"

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Inquisitor/2 - | HP 18/18 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 |SR 7| CMD 14 | Fort +4 | Ref +3 | Will +7 | Init +6 | Perc +9 | Sense Motive +9 // Wand CLW - 44

Well done James, that weapon is quite a sight.Gryne enters the room.

GM:
Gryne goes to search the man and the room for any information, ie scrolls for my mission.


Heal: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24.
Hadassah tears off the hem of the man's robes and applies pressure to the gaping wound in his skull. "There. That'll do it."

(Hadassah's Knowledge (history): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (2) + 9 = 11. The tapestries here depict a symbolic war, not any particular battle.

The bald man is wearing red and black robes and carrying a steel dagger. In his belt pouch, he has several Qadiran coins, two smokesticks, a brass key, and a lucky fetish of some sort. He is carrying two identical potions, an empty scroll tube, and a small silver bull's head. Around his neck, under his robes, is a golden chain. At the end of the chain is a mummified hand with long thin fingers.

Hadassah or Gryne, you can do a scan of the man's possessions with detect magic.

Results:

the "lucky fetish" (a green feather with a woven leather cord attached) radiates strong conjuration
potions radiate faint conjuration
the scroll tube really is empty
the mummified hand radiates faint transmutation magic.

In the middle of the western wall, behind the tapestry, is a door, leading into that inner chamber behind the efreet mask. The itself is richly decorated, the floor covered by a maze-like geometric pattern of scarlet flames.

Gryne's Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 26
James' Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25
Hadassah's Perception: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9

James and Gryne find a hidden door behind the throne on the east wall. It's locked, and the lock looks very recent, unlike the centuries-old door, tapestries, and throne.

Moulini, Maximo, and even Shel eventually wake up and shake off their stunned conditions as well.

Shel, the man's features look familiar to you. You don't think you've seen him before, but there's something ...

My posting will be spotty over the weekend. I'm traveling to St. Louis, for an SCA event and to visit my mom.

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Inquisitor/2 - | HP 18/18 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 |SR 7| CMD 14 | Fort +4 | Ref +3 | Will +7 | Init +6 | Perc +9 | Sense Motive +9 // Wand CLW - 44

GM:
When the man is stabilized or if I need to stabilize him, I will. I'd like to ask him questions concerning his apparent connection to Moloch and the re-emergence of the cult in this area.

I will create water and refresh the party.

Are you guys alright? You missed quite the show. James put the man down from the hall with a single attack.

Shel or Moulini when you feel up to it, would you mind assisting us and taking a look at this lock. We have found a hidden door here
Pointing at the door.

Lantern Lodge

Female Human Druid (2) Menhir Savant

My father-in-law just became Baron of Sentinels Keep last weekend, and my wife got her AoA! Small world... (SCA in Montana)

"Mayhaps we should see if his key works on the lock?"

Using her ability with spell craft, coupled with detect magic, Hadassah will attempt to identify the objects while she waits for Maximo, Shel, and Moulini to regain consciousness.


Gryne, the man is stable, but it will be days before he regains consciousness, if left to heal naturally.

Hadassah, taking 10, you can identify

Spoiler:
the potions as cure light wounds. The feather fetish is feather token, whip, and the mummified hand is a hand of the mage.

Taldor

Ranger 2, Rogue 3 | HP 38/38 | AC 20/15 touch/16 flatfooted | F+8, R+13, W+7 | Init. +8 | Perc +11/+12| Evasion |

DM, does the fella look similar to the ifrits I spoke to earlier? If so, I'm afraid this might be Gali...

Shel staggers to her feet after being blasted full bore by the spell. "What happened? One minute I was fine and the next I was out cold, for a while it feels like.". After being filled in on what happened, she nods at Gryne. "Let me get my legs back under me, and I'll check out that door," she grunts as she walks toward the door with its shiny lock.

Lantern Lodge

Female Human Druid (2) Menhir Savant

"Here, these are potions that will cure you should you find another trap," says Hadassah, handing one potion to Shel and one to Moulini, "I think anyhow..."

Handing the feather token and amulet to Maximo, Hadassah adds, "This is a feather token, though I have no idea what it does. This amulet allows you to move things by, well, you just want it to move and it does. I will again trust you with getting them to the right hands."


Shel, that would be reasonable.

--

Shel's Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 28; Shel, you do not detect any traps on the door.

The brass key that the bald man had on him slides into the lock, which opens with a soft klik. If you want to open it, the door behind the throne is about 3-and-a-half feet tall, and opens towards you, into the room.

Taldor

Ranger 2, Rogue 3 | HP 38/38 | AC 20/15 touch/16 flatfooted | F+8, R+13, W+7 | Init. +8 | Perc +11/+12| Evasion |

Shel takes he potion, thanking Hadassah. She makes sure everyone is behind her, warning them that the door will be opening.

DM, did the heal check keep Gali alive, or did the crit kill him? Or can Shel even tell that?

Shadow Lodge

Female Human

"wow that was fun.." ill take the idol in the room next to me and look around the next room looking for traps and secret doors sitting my bag on the floor not to emcumber me...

Lantern Lodge

Female Human Druid (2) Menhir Savant

"Does anyone have rope to spare? This man should not be conscious any time soon, but there is no sense leaving it to chance. I would like to bind him up, and deal with him once we are done. I am not going to kill him, and we don't have the resources to carry him."

Taldor

Human Paladin of Shelyn 4 / Arcane Duelist Bard 1 / Grenadier Alchemist 2 | AC 20 FF 19 T 13 | HP 54/54 | F +12 R +11 W +11 | Init +1 | Perception +5

Anyone get the name of that ten-ton rainbow? Maximo mumbles as he comes around. Getting to his feet, he takes in the scene for a moment, then examines the man with the massive head wound.

Hmm. I don't suppose that happened by accident. What did I miss?


Shel can tell that the man is unconscious, but alive.

Moulini takes 10 and looks around the room, turning aside tapestries in a methodical way. There are a total of four doors in this room: (1) west the way you came in, (2) a concealed door on the west wall, leading into the secret space from which someone had been watching you, (3) an open door on the north end of the western wall, leading to a room you've never seen, and (4) the small door to the east, behind the throne, which Shel has just unlocked.

Taldor

M Human Gunslinger 2 | 18/18 | 17 | T 14 | FF 13 | CMD 17 | F: +3 | R: +7 | W: +2 | Init +4 | Perc +7 Gunslinger 2

"Well Maximo, you only missed the ultimate in mundane weaponry. A firearm in the hands of a cornered marksman." After answering Maximo's question James asks Shel and Moulini " I am probably not as good as you two, but I can assist you in disabling traps if needed."

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Inquisitor/2 - | HP 18/18 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 |SR 7| CMD 14 | Fort +4 | Ref +3 | Will +7 | Init +6 | Perc +9 | Sense Motive +9 // Wand CLW - 44

Shel:
May I borrow that key when you are done with it?

GM:
After Shel is done with the key Gryne will make a copy of it with his wax.

Should we check to see who has been watching us before advancing? Or do we think this bald man was guilty of that.? Moulini, anything else of interest there?

Gryne addresses the party...If we find any scrolls or papers, I would like to take them back to the Grand Lodge to be studied to determine any further intentions of these cultists.

Taldor

Ranger 2, Rogue 3 | HP 38/38 | AC 20/15 touch/16 flatfooted | F+8, R+13, W+7 | Init. +8 | Perc +11/+12| Evasion |

Gryne

Spoiler:
Sure, after the door is opened, Shel will leave the key in the lock, so you can grab it easily.

Osirion

"That sounds like a good idea Gryne. I don't think he is alone in this happening. However I would like to question this fellah we have here barely alive, he might have some useful information to us"

GM:
Whenever Azatoth get an oppturnity to question this man (assuming he is awake) then he will try to intimidate him for some info. If he is unsuccessful then he will request some help from his teammates

Lantern Lodge

Female Human Druid (2) Menhir Savant

"I figure we can lash him to the throne, he is alive and stable for now. Later, we can check on him again. I don't think he will wake up for quite some time, possibly days. Just to be careful, we should gag him. If he can't speak and he can't gesture, it will be very difficult for him to cast any spells to escape, or yell for help. . ."

Just to be cautious, Hadassah rummages through the mans robes one last time, removing any and all spell components she finds to her own beltpouch.

Shadow Lodge

Female Human

well i think we should try the door be hind the large wall hanging 1st i'll check for traps

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Inquisitor/2 - | HP 18/18 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 |SR 7| CMD 14 | Fort +4 | Ref +3 | Will +7 | Init +6 | Perc +9 | Sense Motive +9 // Wand CLW - 44

Gryne will tie the man to the throne with some of his hemp rope and gag him with a section of his robe.
Azatoth, I will assist you in his interrogation when we return. I have some questions for him as well.

Osirion

"Appreciated Gryne, I can't see how he can refuse to tell us what we want, with our two "handsome" faces into his face"

Azatoth grins at Gryne

Lantern Lodge

Female Human Druid (2) Menhir Savant

Hadassah bursts into laughter at Azatoth's comment. "Shall we?" She leaves the room, following Shel.


Shel has unlocked the halfling-sized door, but before she pulls it open, Hadassah and Gryne spend a minute tying the unconscious man to the throne. Meanwhile, Moulini goes back across the room, pulls back the tapestries, and checks the door in the middle of the west wall for traps.
Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24

Moulini, you do not detect any traps.

Hadassah, the man has no spell components.

Shel, do you open the door to the east? Hadassah, are you taking the initiative and opening it?

Moulini, are you opening the concealed door to the west?

Taldor

Ranger 2, Rogue 3 | HP 38/38 | AC 20/15 touch/16 flatfooted | F+8, R+13, W+7 | Init. +8 | Perc +11/+12| Evasion |

If Shel notices Moulini opening that door instead, she will hold off, no wanting to split the party or open up two unknown doors.

251 to 300 of 707 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Mortika's "Citadel of Flame" All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.