Entering at higher level..?


Rules Questions


Dumb I know but it's bugging the heck out of me, if I start at let's say level 3 am I still stuck with the highest stat rule of 18??

If yes then I really disagree with it for the following reasons:

1. Let's say you enter an ongoing campaign and your're a level 7 the highest stat you can have at this level is 19!, compare it to D&D where it'll most like be 20! and you're bound to be able to access more than that too (idk Star-finder magic items or what you can get at higher lvls sorry)

2. The highest stat you can get to is 22! at lvl 20! I personally feel like that is very underwhelming for such a high lvl character.

3. I realize that it's probably like this for certain reasons like having a 23 at lvl 2 or something but if it wasn't capped then the highest it could ever go is..27 at lvl 20 which in my mind seems a whole lot more reasonable for such a high lvl character.

Lastly I would like to state that I DO NOT know a lot about the game or how gaming braking removing the limiter for higher lvls for example if you bring in a character at level 10 for instants I don't think the highest stat for a lvl 10 character should be 20 because of the limiter, then again if i'm completely mistaken then I apologize I just personally think there's a safe lvl you can remove the limiter and it won't really effect much if anything..

Thank you for reading and putting up with my idioticness please feel free to correct me on any mistakes or information, hope some agree with what I said.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

If you start a game at a higher level, you first create that character at level 1, with the same maximums any other character has at level 1. Then you apply the level up bonuses for level 2, level 3, etc, gaining the same Stat boosts as a character that levled up more slowly would have.

At level 10, thus would be a maximum natural score of 20, or a 24 in one stat, with a mk 2 personal augment.

The attribute scores that a character at a certain level will have in a different system are not a good basis for judhing anything. DCs of skill checks, statistics of enemies, and the rest of the mathematical mechanics of the game are based around using this game's attribute limits.


fallacy of composition

are you stuck with an 18

at 3 yes
At 7 no

Sczarni

Starfinder Charter Superscriber
MercCpt wrote:
if I start at let's say level 3 am I still stuck with the highest stat rule of 18??

Yes, but not all characters benefit from having an 18 right out of the gate. Spreading your points out helps make a more diverse and survivable character.

MercCpt wrote:

If yes then I really disagree with it for the following reasons:

1. Let's say you enter an ongoing campaign and your're a level 7 the highest stat you can have at this level is 19!, compare it to D&D...

Comparing success in one game to success in a completely different game by a completely different publisher isn't a very valid argument. D&D used THAC0 and AC, Starfinder uses BAB and EAC/KAC. D&D used proficiencies and was really light on rolling anything not directly tied to combat, whereas Starfinder is skill-heavy and uses a scaling DC system to determine success.

The two games are separated by decades of game theory. I would use the analogy of apples and oranges, but it's really more like apple pie a la mode and an orange that's been left out in the sun.

MercCpt wrote:
idk Star-finder magic items or what you can get at higher lvls sorry

I have similarly forgotten what items were available in D&D, although I vaguely remember "Gloves of Dexterity" and "Belt of Giant Strength". Was really terrible when you rolled your percentile and got 18/01. And iirc Halflings could never even get into the percentiles.

In Starfinder you can acquire Personal Upgrades to boost your stats above their maximums.

MercCpt wrote:
2. The highest stat you can get to is 22! at lvl 20! I personally feel like that is very underwhelming for such a high lvl character.

28 with a Mk 3 Personal Upgrade.

I would suggest seeing how the system plays out before being critical of it. There are countless tabletop RPGs out there today and each uses their own math and rules systems.

MercCpt wrote:
Lastly I would like to state that I DO NOT know a lot about the game or how gaming braking removing the limiter for higher lvls for example if you bring in a character at level 10 for instants I don't think the highest stat for a lvl 10 character should be 20 because of the limiter, then again if i'm completely mistaken then I apologize I just personally think there's a safe lvl you can remove the limiter and it won't really effect much if anything.

The funny thing about "Limiters" is perception. Your GM could increase the limit of your stats to, say, 22 instead of 18, but behind the scenes they're also going to be increasing difficulty by an equal measure.


MercCpt wrote:
2. The highest stat you can get to is 22! at lvl 20! I personally feel like that is very underwhelming for such a high lvl character.

You may wish to look up the Personal Upgrade augmentations.


I have taken all the suggestions and replays in here to heart and have done some research on Personal Upgrades and I full understand my silliness and I would like to thank all of those whom responded and apologize for not being fully aware that starfinder had set these restrictions so well however I still personally believe that it would be safe to remove the "limiter" at a higher level i'm not suggesting anything crazy just my opinion again thank you to all those who read and replied it was very informing!


MercCpt wrote:
I have taken all the suggestions and replays in here to heart and have done some research on Personal Upgrades and I full understand my silliness and I would like to thank all of those whom responded and apologize for not being fully aware that starfinder had set these restrictions so well however I still personally believe that it would be safe to remove the "limiter" at a higher level i'm not suggesting anything crazy just my opinion again thank you to all those who read and replied it was very informing!

Starfinder doesn't work that way - that starting 18 limit is in part there to keep you from doing things that would actively be bad for you; starting 18s are already a bad enough idea to begin with, in most cases, as everyone's attribute needs are too spread out for that (and as it actually slows down your attribute progression).


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

There isn't a higher level "limiter" to remove. What you're suggesting would just be changing the rules so that a character that started at higher levels could retractively start with a stat array illegal to characters who progressed one level at a time.

There's no purpose to that.


HammerJack wrote:

There isn't a higher level "limiter" to remove. What you're suggesting would just be changing the rules so that a character that started at higher levels could retroactively start with a stat array illegal to characters who progressed one level at a time.

There's no purpose to that.

You have a very valid point but I was merely giving my opinion.


MercCpt wrote:
I have taken all the suggestions and replays in here to heart and have done some research on Personal Upgrades and I full understand my silliness and I would like to thank all of those whom responded and apologize for not being fully aware that starfinder had set these restrictions so well however I still personally believe that it would be safe to remove the "limiter" at a higher level i'm not suggesting anything crazy just my opinion again thank you to all those who read and replied it was very informing!

There is nothing wrong with being new.

I also don't think there is anything wrong with tinkering with the math of the system. Just be aware that you are doing tinkering. So if the results aren't what you expect...

The other thing that I would point out is that simply increasing the ability scores of high level characters probably isn't going to impact things all that much. It will provide a small increase in probabilities (5% per two point increase) for skills that use that ability, as well as attack bonuses and AC for STR and DEX. I see that as a marginal improvement. It will make for characters that are a bit better at things that they are good at. But I don't think that would create game breaking overpowered characters like stacking a bunch of untyped or unique typed bonuses would.


breithauptclan wrote:
MercCpt wrote:
I have taken all the suggestions and replays in here to heart and have done some research on Personal Upgrades and I full understand my silliness and I would like to thank all of those whom responded and apologize for not being fully aware that starfinder had set these restrictions so well however I still personally believe that it would be safe to remove the "limiter" at a higher level i'm not suggesting anything crazy just my opinion again thank you to all those who read and replied it was very informing!

There is nothing wrong with being new.

I also don't think there is anything wrong with tinkering with the math of the system. Just be aware that you are doing tinkering. So if the results aren't what you expect...

The other thing that I would point out is that simply increasing the ability scores of high level characters probably isn't going to impact things all that much. It will provide a small increase in probabilities (5% per two point increase) for skills that use that ability, as well as attack bonuses and AC for STR and DEX. I see that as a marginal improvement. It will make for characters that are a bit better at things that they are good at. But I don't think that would create game breaking overpowered characters like stacking a bunch of untyped or unique typed bonuses would.

That's not quite everything, though - in particular, Save DCs and Resolve Points would need to be factored in.

The benefit isn't quite evenly distributed, either - though the Bonus Spells Per Day increase shouldn't be too ridiculous.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

Yeah, no need to apologize whatsoever. We like helping new people learn the ropes. It increases the player base, which means more great games for everyone.

Community / Forums / Starfinder / Rules Questions / Entering at higher level..? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in Rules Questions